Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card
American Express Black Card
1.00/5

American Express Black Card

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

19 American Express Black Card Consumer Reviews

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I placed an order for furniture (two teen beds) with Coleman furniture. I had been getting the run around for weeks and suspected an internet scam so called Amex customer service and they said, "Let’s open a dispute. They may respond, then the dispute can be dropped, or you’ll get your money back". Sure enough, I heard from the company quickly...they were now eager to deliver the furniture. It still took another month so I did not drop my dispute. Two months after being charged, the furniture was delivered. The delivery guys brought it all in, then proceeded to build it. A half hour in, they came to get me and showed me the furniture (they were an independent delivery company). The furniture was toddler sized. Dimensions online were teen sized. They said they will pack it all back up and take it back. I called Amex to update them on the dispute. They said, “No problem as we credited you that amount anyway.”

Today on my bill I see a rebill for half the amount...over $1000. The furniture company says they’re charging re-stocking and delivery. I’m sorry, not when you scammed me! I called Amex and told them, "I kept you updated all along". They said yeah, but they responded with a policy of restocking fees! This bed has a picture online of being 68 inches high and holding 250 lbs. The beds that came were toddler sized. False advertising, internet scam, whatever you want to label it, those people don’t get to charge me over $1000 for lying! I have nothing of theirs but one big fat hassle and two months of my boys sleeping on mattresses on the floor waiting for Toddler size beds? I am Amex’s Customer. They are supposed to ‘have my back’ and offer me protection against internet fraud and scams and bad deals. That’s why I use a credit card in the first place. I won’t be using this one any longer.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2018

I received my 1st direct deposit from my employer on 1/18/18 and someone sent 2 money transfers to 2 different Gmail accounts on 1/19/18. I contacted American Express on 1/19/18 as soon as I received a low balance alert on my phone. They said they would investigate. After 5 days I contacted them again and they said I was in violation of section 15d of the user agreement. (Fraudulent activity on the account) That's what I called them to report. On February 3 I received a check for 64 cents stating I had elected to close my account. I never told them to close my account and when I call now I get a customer NO service rep who told me my account is closed and they cannot access any information about my original claim that was declined by American Express due to section 15d Fraudulent Activity. So much for your funds being insured. I am still waiting for a reasonable explanation.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2016

AMEX claims the payment was sent, yet Cap One did not receive it. AMEX customer service advised they would retract the payment, however will not disclose information such as check information to provide to CapOne so they may investigate where this money is. I have spent 6 hours in phone calls over the last 30 day period following up on this matter to get absolutely nowhere. This balance transfer has been a nightmare. Over 20 business days, and no one knows what is going on. To top it off, I now have a balance of 1k with each company and nothing to show for it!!!

July 14 2016, called AMEX. Told them I want to do a balance transfer from my Helzberg/Cap One for $1000 + a $30 dollar fee. July 16 2016, approved my AMEX, in writing via USPS mail. July 18 through 30th, no payment to Helzberg/Cap One posted. Called AMEX three times between those 3 dates, and Cap One. Everyone gives me the ol', "It can take up to 10 business days." July 27 2016, AMEX shows a balance of $1,030. August 11 2016, No payment made to Helzberg/Cap One.

Original review: July 12, 2016

I just had my tax 6000 USD refund go to my Serve card. Never really used it much but now using it a lot. My last transaction was to pay my Capital One Card 1000 USD using their so called "Bill Pay Option". They removed the 1000 USD on May 29, 2016 09:47 hrs. Still shows in the online website as expected Pay date of July 5th 2016. It is now the 11th and Capital One say they have never received such a payment. Had to pay for rental car on the 9th thus the reason for making sure card payment was there on time. Called AMEX every day for 7 days. Was told 7 different LIES BY 7 DIFFERENT SO CALLED SUPERVISORS. TODAY TOLD BY HEAD ** IN-CHARGE OF ENTIRE FLOOR named Travis (not real name just made up lies) that an investigation was opened into where the money is and could take up to... get this...45 days.

So now I am going to get some of you together and we will ask Senator Elizabeth Warren to open a Senate hearing and drag Diego Paul Fabara's little butt down to the Senate floor and drill the truth as to why this particular section of AMEX has much higher profit margins than any other secured type debit prepaid than any other competitor in its FIELD. We will also join together as a CLASS ACTION AGAINST DIEGO's (named personally) entire Supervisory Board of this POS company for an undisclosed 9 figure sum of reward.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2015

I will never do Banking again with Centurion. I go into my local branch of Bank of America, planning to send my sister $100 for Christmas, since she can get home from Paris for Christmas. The manager tells me he regrets to inform me that they do not do business with Centurion banks, it's because they don't follow US banking regulations because they're out of the Philippines and are not required to. I thought this was ** until I talked my sister, she told me that she'd encountered the same thing when she tried to transfer money from Centurion. So, when did American Express move to the Philippines? They need to call themselves Philippine Express...

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express?

Original review: Oct. 8, 2014

Don't make a mistake and get one of these serve cards from amex because they totally screwed up my direct deposit and they use offshore call centers with people that can't help you or speak English. They damaged my credit with my car dealer .

Original review: Feb. 10, 2012

My account was sent to IRS, and we are being audited. The account # is **, and closed. American Express Centurion Bank sent IRS electronically for transaction date of 1/16/2009. We turned this account to Debit company, to pay all my bills. We contacted those companies and paid them. We have never lived in West Palm Beach. The account states the amount of $1,5171. the place address is 1645 Palm Beach Lake blvd ste. 480. zip 33401-0000. I need someone to notify me about this issue.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2011

American Express filed a lawsuit against me, stating they were a bank called Centurian Bank. I guess this is a way around unsecured, versus secured credit.

They did not try to negotiate, nor ask me what the problem was. I wonder if this is legal? Judgement was filed against me, as a secured debt.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2010

They put ad on web to give home loan at 4.36% etc. I am in the process of buying house. I sent them my paper work thru email. Initially, they called but after that never responded. They have all my personal information, taxes, bank statements. Please tell them delete my records. I have sent email but no response.

Original review: March 2, 2009

I have two American Express cards, business and personal. (Centurian Bank). For years I paid their required minimum due monthly of $2000 to $4000 per month In November I lost my income. I entered a Care Credit program with American Express, and did receive a confirmation letter. The Care Credit is for hardship. It is a way to preserve credit and pay them their money when you are out of work or broke. Under the program rules, as long as my payments are on time, I will not be kicked off the program, reported to credit or have finance charges and late fees accumulate. I MADE EVERY PAYMENT ON TIME AND HAVE WRITTEN RECEIPT PROOF. In February they sent me a letter (2 of them) that I was kicked off the program for missing a payment. I called customer support and was shifted through 4 representatives telling me that my payments were in fact on time and they have no idea why I was kicked off. I sent American Express a certified letter explaining their mistake and telling them I do have all my receipts. In return, today, March 2nd, I received a call from Nationwide Credit Collections Company. They turned me into collections. I want to continue to pay them per THEIR agreement. They have made a mistake and fail to ackolwedge it. The collections amount they turned me in for is higher than my monthly salary. I have all my receipts and proof that I honoured their agreement. I did report them to the Fair Trade Commission, and am contacting the Federal Government. They are damaging my credit and causing me undue stress, for no reason...especially when I want to pay them.

American Express Centurion Black Card Company Information