Our promise. We provide a buying advantage with verified reviews and unbiased editorial research.
About American Coin Co.
American Coin Co. sells precious metals for both cash purchases and precious metal IRAs. You can choose from several depositories across the U.S. for precious metals storage, or have it shipped to your home. You are free to choose a custodian, but if you use its preferred custodian service, the company waives custodial fees. American Coin Co. provides hands-on customer support for your precious metals investment throughout each step of the buying process.
Pros & Cons
- Price protection within seven days of purchase
- Zero management fees for any account services
- No custodial fees with qualifying accounts
- Limited information online
- No online ordering
American Coin Co. can help you buy gold and silver or other precious metals for use in a self-directed IRA. It offers phone support for customer service, but limited information online.
Gold and other precious metal IRAs are an investment and carry risk. Consumers should be alert to claims that customers can make a lot of money in these or any investment with little risk. As with any investment, you can lose money and past performance is not a guarantee of future performance results. Consumers should also obtain a clear understanding of the fees associated with any investment before agreeing to invest.
What is American Coin Co.?
American Coin Co. is a Washington-based gold IRA dealer that can help you set up a self-directed IRA and send IRS-approved precious metals to secure depositories located throughout the country, or to your home. You can also purchase precious metals through cash transactions.
The company focuses on providing educational information for investors on its website, including consultations, webinars and real-time market data. It’s also a supporter of the K9s for Warriors program.
How does American Coin Co. work?
Setting up a self-directed IRA with American Coin Co. lets you invest in gold, silver and other precious metals in a tax-advantaged way for retirement.
There are three steps to opening an IRA with American Coin Co.:
- Open an IRA: You can open an IRA by filling out a form online or calling customer service. If you qualify, American Coin Co. walks you through each step of setting up your self-directed retirement account.
- Fund the account: If you have an existing 401(k), IRA or another retirement account, you can roll over funds from those accounts into your new self-directed IRA. If a customer chooses the preferred custodian Accuplan, there are no custodial fees for the first one to 10 years of account management.
- Buy precious metals: You can select and purchase precious metals for your IRA once you review the options and decide what most closely matches your financial goals. American Coin Co. sends your gold or silver to one of four depositories, or you can have it shipped to your home. Either option offers free shipping and insurance.
American Coin Co. does require a minimum of $2,000 for cash-only investments and a $10,000 minimum for IRA investments.
Cash transactions may only take as little as 24 hours from the time you contact American Coin Co. to the time they ship the metals to you.
The timing of IRA or 401(k) transfers and rollovers largely depends on your financial institution, but the paperwork takes about 15 to 30 minutes for processing.
American Coin Co. products
American Coin Co. offers the following precious metal products:
- Gold IRA: American Coin Co. offers gold, silver, platinum and palladium precious metals for its gold IRA.
- Cash transactions: You can also make cash purchases for gold, silver, platinum and palladium products.
American Coin Co. pricing
There are no management fees with a self-directed American Coin Co. account. The company doesn’t charge custodial fees if you use its preferred custodian, Accuplan. American Coin Co. covers all application fees and startup costs, too.
The cost of the actual gold and silver you can buy varies based on current gold and silver spot prices and market rates for premium coins. However, American Coin Co. is transparent about its ask-to-bid differential on purchases, fees and transaction statuses.
Depository storage fees cost around $200 per year, but some clients qualify for no-fees-for-life with American Coin Co.
American Coin Co. FAQ
Where does American Coin Co. store gold?
American Coin Co. currently has four depositories with locations in California, Delaware, Nevada and Utah. Customers also have the option of having their precious metals shipped to their homes.
How much does it cost to open a gold IRA with American Coin Co.?
American Coin Co. requires a minimum purchase of $2,000 for cash investments and a $10,000 minimum for IRA contributions. The company covers all application fees, startup costs, management and custodial fees (if you select the preferred custodian). Additionally, there is a $200 depository fee per year, but some customers may be eligible for a fee-free option.
Can I see my gold in person?
Yes, American Coin Co. allows customer visits to each of its depositories, and a customer can hold their precious metals, too.
Where is American Coin Co. located?
American Coin Co.’s corporate headquarters are in Spokane, Washington.
Do we recommend American Coin Co.?
American Coin Co. may be a viable option if you’re interested in opening a gold IRA, and it offers free resources to help you make sense of the process.
A link has directed you to this review. Its location on this page may change next time you visit.
- 4,353,380 reviews on ConsumerAffairs are verified.
- We require contact information to ensure our reviewers are real.
- We use intelligent software that helps us maintain the integrity of reviews.
- Our moderators read all reviews to verify quality and helpfulness.
Reviewed Nov. 1, 2023
American Coin Co provides exceptional customer service. They made extra efforts to ensure my comfort during my transactions. They dedicated ample time to address my inquiries and were consistently accessible. I wholeheartedly endorse this company.
Thanks for subscribing.
You have successfully subscribed to our newsletter! Enjoy reading our tips and recommendations.
American Coin Co. Company Information
- Company Name:
- American Coin Co.