2. Gold IRA Companies

4.8/5 (49 ratings)

About American Hartford Gold

American Hartford Gold Group is a family-owned business that sells precious metals and precious metal IRAs. Physical precious metals are available as bars or coins. Gold and silver IRAs are an alternative to traditional IRAs that allow you to invest in precious metals. These IRAs can also help diversify your retirement savings.

Pros

• Buyback commitment
    • High customer ratings
    • No shipping fees

Cons

• Metal investments carry risks
    • No prices on online catalog

Bottom Line

American Hartford Gold offers precious metals and gold IRAs. Metals are typically sold in coin or bar form. A gold IRA lets you invest in precious metals in a tax-advantaged way and store them at a secure facility.

Top American Hartford Gold Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

All the staff at American Hartford Gold were very helpful, knowledgeable, and professional. The staff took time to explain in detail the process of purchasing and provided options...

Verified

I have now made a couple purchases with American Hartford. They made it easy, and after calling around to a couple outfits, they had the best pricing. I received my metals within ...

Gold and other precious metal IRAs are an investment and carry risk. Consumers should be alert to claims that customers can make a lot of money in these or any investment with little risk. As with any investment, you can lose money and past performance is not a guarantee of future performance results. Consumers should also obtain a clear understanding of the fees associated with any investment before agreeing to invest.

What is American Hartford Gold?

American Hartford Gold is a precious metals seller that helps customers set up gold and silver IRAs. Some of American Hartford Gold’s IRA-eligible investment options include:

• American Gold Eagle coins
    • American Gold Buffalo coins
    • Gold bars
    • American Silver Eagle coins
    • Silver Canadian Maple Leaf coins

Its website also offers advice on how to use precious metals for survival purposes. Since gold and silver have some intrinsic value, these metals are often used as investments in case the dollar or banks fail.

How does American Hartford Gold Group work?

American Hartford Gold offers a simple way to set up your gold IRA. Here are the basic steps:

1. Fill out the company’s gold IRA form either online or over the phone.
    2. A product specialist contacts you and helps you open a self-directed IRA.
    3. Decide your initial investment amount. You can transfer funds to your new IRA or roll over funds from your current IRA provider to American Hartford Gold.
    4. Talk to an account executive to discuss what precious metals you’d like to select for your account once your IRA is set up. IRS-approved precious metals include gold, silver, platinum and palladium.

At the age of 59½, you’re eligible to either receive your physical metals or liquidate an amount you choose. IRS rules apply with a gold IRA, so you can incur penalties for withdrawing early.

American Hartford Gold costs

American Hartford Gold does not charge to set up a precious metals IRA or roll over a retirement account. There are also no fees for shipping your precious metals to the depository, including for insurance and tracking.

Depository fees vary depending on your investment amount, and the company’s online catalogs for precious metals do not list prices, so you must speak to a representative. The website does provide price charts for gold, silver and platinum, though.

American Hartford Gold FAQ

Yes, you can. The company stores your assets at a private, IRS-approved facility. When you retire, you can choose to withdraw the physical gold or liquidate it.
    Yes. The company has consistently high ratings from customers, and it offers a buyback commitment.
    American Hartford Gold stores precious metals at a private depository that is both insured and IRS-approved.
    American Hartford Gold is located in Los Angeles, California, but the company’s services are not location-specific. Accounts can be handled over the phone or through its website.

Is American Hartford Gold worth it?

American Hartford Gold is a solid choice if you’re looking to buy precious metals or open a precious metals IRA. The company offers a buyback guarantee and doesn’t charge fees to open an account or ship your metals to the depository. Purchasing coins and bars in gold and silver without setting up an IRA is also an option if you’re nervous about the stability of banks.

American Hartford Gold Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Hartford Gold?

Original review: Jan. 22, 2021

A guy at work and I were doing a little research on the internet and we were looking at the background of American Hartford Gold. Then, we put our heads together and figured out that Hartford Gold was the best company to go with. We also saw some commercials for them and the guy on TV convinced us to sign up. Their commercials seem to be well-made and maintained as well. So, we felt good about Hartford Gold.

The agents we worked with were great and I've heard from one of them one time since I've invested in gold, which they were trying to fund. I already sent the money and trying to fund it all. I'm not sure how that works but I'm sure it's all done by now. However, I would have liked to get a phone call saying that my account is funded, it's got the gold and silver in there, and that it's sitting at so and so. I'd also like them to tell me my confirmation number. But maybe it's my fault. Maybe I got a phone call that said potential spam and I didn't get it. So, if my phone comes up and it says Hartford Gold, I would answer it.

Other than that, I really enjoyed talking to their guy. I'm a business major and I felt like signing up with them was the best thing to shelter what little I have into precious metals and do something a little different. Plus, I took mine and turned it over. I didn't want to go into the taxes and I wanted just to roll it over into something different. American Hartford Gold has been good for me so far and I'm really going to be happy when the dollar falls and the gold prices go up. I'm looking forward to that. We're going to go to a new currency and I'm going to be set for that to happen.

Get buying tips about Gold IRA Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

I was rolling over from a prior employer's retirement plan. But where I was rolling it from was trying to get me to sell my stock outside of that. When I called and talked to my contact with Hartford Gold, he said that what I was trying to do made no sense. As I talked to him longer, I realized what they were trying to do. It was nice to have somebody to bounce that off of. I might not have had that realization if I had that on somewhere else.

Hartford Gold was very helpful, thorough and patient. There was some hold up on part of it that I was rolling over for some reason. They had issues with that. Hartford Gold had offered to contact where I was rolling it over from. But I worked in a community bank and it was in the same community. Hartford Gold respected the fact I was telling them that it was a small community of 12,000 people and there were personal relationships there. I didn't want the big guns coming in and trying to do it for me so I told them to let me handle it and they listened to that for me. Now, I'm still waiting on my silver for opening my account. Evidently, one person stopped the other person that placed the order and the other person stopped the other one I had. So my orders got placed a week or two ago for that. But that's the only little glitch I've had and everything else has been really good.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2021

I trust Bill O'Reilly. He would not purposely send us down the wrong alley or pitch us down the well. And then when I called American Hartford Gold Group, I got ahold of Andy who is an absolute expert of making friends on the telephone. He’s quite an interesting person. American Hartford did whatever I asked him to do. I plan on continuing investing with them.

I would like to have a feature included that gives me a monthly update on the value of my investment. The market value, not the spot price. A monthly figure that could be in actual money if I were to sell it. And then, the other thing is I have two accounts with them now. One is an IRA. I took my money out of the stock market and put it in precious metals with them. And the other is savings that I have accumulated over the time. And you don't want to have that sitting around at home, right? So I got it in my bank account, that little drawer that they have that you open. And an account with Hartford.

I'd like to be able to take my required withdrawal from my IRA, because you get to a certain age and then you have to do that. And I'd like to be able to take that money directly, pay taxes on it, and put it right directly into my other account with them. There should be a way that that can be done without them having to send the precious metal in the mail to me or by UPS or FedEx, and then me having to turn it around and send it back through that deal to be added to my other account.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2021

I like Bill O'Reilly. He recommended American Hartford Gold Group. I liked who I talked to, everything he talked about, and what I could get out of it in the future. I trusted him. But after I bought it and put into it, it showed the value of my gold was $7,000 less than what I thought it would be. It upset my family a bit. And I started off on hold. It went to 7,000, but I was on hold at the get-go because there was a fee that the rep didn’t tell me about that I had to pay. I didn’t think that 7,000 on hold, gold couldn’t drop that much in two weeks. And silver, too.

What the rep explained to me was it was in-ground price of the gold when he went to process the price of the gold. But it still didn't value the amount of $7,000 worth. That amount is maybe 6,000 or 7,000. So, there was a fee involved that I had to pay that I didn't know about, except for the fee of $190 a year for storing my gold. If he had told me that, then I might have sat and tossed in it, explained to my wife first why I did that. But that’s the only thing. I’m just dealing with it, hoping the gold will go up to 3,000 a month so I can get my money back. I need to break even. I was hoping I’d make money. I hope I will. Before I recommend a friend, I need to be upfront and say there is a $2,000 or $3,000 fee to do this for me. And then, I’d understand maybe more than get hit in the head when I go find out that my gold that has put into my equity is $10,000 less. And that is what threw me off.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2021

Their representative, Shawn, was really informative and he helped me make this transition from Ameritrade to getting money from them, which they were dragging their feet a little bit. The only thing I have concerns with is that to this date, I don't know exactly what the fees are. The depository is in Salt Lake at a Brink’s compound but I don't know how much they're actually charging me for that. Also, I was a little surprised that it was going through so many hands. American Hartford Gold is the first layer and then another is the Brink’s place. I thought I'd deal with customer service there at American Hartford and that they had everything else set up in their names. But it looks like it's Equity Line. That's the people that actually transfer hands-on with the metals themselves.

I would recommend American Hartford to a friend. But the format that they present should include everything. It should have been explained upfront exactly what was going down, what they do, all the companies involved, and then presented the fee scale. They should even email a picture of the stuff when it got there because I was just taking people's word for stuff. Other than that, I feel more confident with them than leaving my money with Ameritrade because equity stocks are fixing to dump.

Original review: Oct. 6, 2021

I am very pleased with my experience with American Hartford Gold. They were explanatory about the purchase of precious metals and explained storage options to me. There was never any pressure to move a portion of my funds to precious metals. After completing the process today, I feel a sense of relief that my funds are more protected for my family. I'm thankful to have proceeded with this transaction and look forward to watching their future growth. Everyone I dealt with from beginning to end was professional, helpful and a pure joy to deal with. Thank you!

Original review: Oct. 5, 2021

Very pleasant experience with the 1st time of buying precious metal. Christian, Spencer, and Denise were easy to talk to and answered any questions I had with clarity. I highly recommend American Hartford Gold.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2021

This was my first purchase of precious metals. Kyle was amazing! Very patient and answered every single question I had...and I had a lot of them. The process was smooth and he and his colleagues walked me through every step of the way to ensure I was not left hanging. Highly recommend.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2021

This transaction was a first for me, and both Andrew and Benjamin we available and helpful throughout the process. All questions was answered with clear and concise verbiage, making my first experience smooth. Telephone calls were returned quickly and they were patient with me and my frequent questions. I am looking forward to a long-term relationship with American Hartford Gold.

Sincerely,

Jack

Original review: Sept. 28, 2021

I'm a first time investor and both Scott and Andrew were very helpful, everything was explained clearly and precisely enough, answering my few questions I had before I even had a chance to ask. I will definitely be working with them and AHG again in the future.

American Hartford Gold Company Information