4.9/5 (107 ratings)

About American Hartford Gold

American Hartford Gold Group is a family-owned business that sells precious metals and precious metal IRAs. Physical precious metals are available as bars or coins. Gold and silver IRAs are an alternative to traditional IRAs that allow you to invest in precious metals. These IRAs can also help diversify your retirement savings.

Pros

• Buyback commitment
    • High customer ratings
    • No shipping fees

Cons

• Metal investments carry risks
    • No prices on online catalog

Bottom Line

American Hartford Gold offers precious metals and gold IRAs. Metals are typically sold in coin or bar form. A gold IRA lets you invest in precious metals in a tax-advantaged way and store them at a secure facility.

Top American Hartford Gold Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

All the staff at American Hartford Gold were very helpful, knowledgeable, and professional. The staff took time to explain in detail the process of purchasing and provided options...

Verified

I have now made a couple purchases with American Hartford. They made it easy, and after calling around to a couple outfits, they had the best pricing. I received my metals within ...

Gold and other precious metal IRAs are an investment and carry risk. Consumers should be alert to claims that customers can make a lot of money in these or any investment with little risk. As with any investment, you can lose money and past performance is not a guarantee of future performance results. Consumers should also obtain a clear understanding of the fees associated with any investment before agreeing to invest.

What is American Hartford Gold?

American Hartford Gold is a precious metals seller that helps customers set up gold and silver IRAs. Some of American Hartford Gold’s IRA-eligible investment options include:

• American Gold Eagle coins
    • American Gold Buffalo coins
    • Gold bars
    • American Silver Eagle coins
    • Silver Canadian Maple Leaf coins

Its website also offers advice on how to use precious metals for survival purposes. Since gold and silver have some intrinsic value, these metals are often used as investments in case the dollar or banks fail.

How does American Hartford Gold Group work?

American Hartford Gold offers a simple way to set up your gold IRA. Here are the basic steps:

1. Fill out the company’s gold IRA form either online or over the phone.
    2. A product specialist contacts you and helps you open a self-directed IRA.
    3. Decide your initial investment amount. You can transfer funds to your new IRA or roll over funds from your current IRA provider to American Hartford Gold.
    4. Talk to an account executive to discuss what precious metals you’d like to select for your account once your IRA is set up. IRS-approved precious metals include gold, silver, platinum and palladium.

At the age of 59½, you’re eligible to either receive your physical metals or liquidate an amount you choose. IRS rules apply with a gold IRA, so you can incur penalties for withdrawing early.

American Hartford Gold costs

American Hartford Gold does not charge to set up a precious metals IRA or roll over a retirement account. There are also no fees for shipping your precious metals to the depository, including for insurance and tracking.

Depository fees vary depending on your investment amount, and the company’s online catalogs for precious metals do not list prices, so you must speak to a representative. The website does provide price charts for gold, silver and platinum, though.

American Hartford Gold FAQ

Can I own physical gold with American Hartford Gold?
    Yes, you can. The company stores your assets at a private, IRS-approved facility. When you retire, you can choose to withdraw the physical gold or liquidate it.
    Is American Hartford Gold legit?
    Yes. The company has consistently high ratings from customers, and it offers a buyback commitment.
    Where does American Hartford Gold store precious metals?
    American Hartford Gold stores precious metals at a private depository that is both insured and IRS-approved.
    Where is American Hartford Gold located?
    American Hartford Gold is located in Los Angeles, California, but the company’s services are not location-specific. Accounts can be handled over the phone or through its website.

Is American Hartford Gold worth it?

American Hartford Gold is a solid choice if you’re looking to buy precious metals or open a precious metals IRA. The company offers a buyback guarantee and doesn’t charge fees to open an account or ship your metals to the depository. Purchasing coins and bars in gold and silver without setting up an IRA is also an option if you’re nervous about the stability of banks.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Hartford Gold?

Original review: June 14, 2022

I want to first thank Anthony. He's a sales rep for this wonderful company. Yes, and I want others to learn about the integrity that is built into American Hartford, from bottom to top. Recently I sold my home and as result, I had in hand a considerable amount of cash. Looking to move to another city, I found myself traveling from one address to another, from one city to another.

My situation, necessarily, led to numerous disappointments insofar as finding a new home and numerous starts and stope in terms of protecting the proceeds obtained from the sale. The result was a trail of broken promises as I struggled to weigh how much money should go to another home, how much to retirement, etc.

Finally, after numerous conversations, Anthony and I settled on a purchase. I, then, sent a pre-arranged sum and agreed, in writing, to purchase a specified amount of bullion. As things worked out and after the deal was closed, it occurred to me that there were elements of the arrangement that worried me. I wrote a letter to Hartford explaining my reservations.

The reply from the management of American Hartford: a full return of my remittance. That's right! In the return mail, I received a check from American Hartford. Every penny of my original remittance was enclosed. The action speaks for itself. In American Hartford Gold, you have an extraordinary company.. an organization with a .999 reputation... and that reputation, in my opinion, is truly deserved.

American Hartford Gold response

Thank you for your review, Jonathan.

We appreciate your feedback, and we are so glad that we were able to be of assistance to you. We strive to be transparent and fair every step of the way, and we are glad that you had a great representative like Anthony to give you the information and advice you needed.

If we can ever be of assistance to you again in the future, please feel free to reach out to us as. We would be more than happy to be of service to you.

We wish you all the best in your future endeavors, Jonathan!

Get buying tips about Gold IRA Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 2, 2022

I really can't say enough about the quality of service I received from American Hartford. I did my homework before choosing them and it really paid off. Phillip, Vince and Matt make a great team and they really seemed to care! Vince is so easy to work with and he helped me rollover an IRA and invest in gold and silver at just the right time. Matt is a courageous team player who helped slide things along. But it was Phillip who patiently helped me at ever single step of the way. That level of service for such a small investor is amazing! Thanks guys. : )

American Hartford Gold response
      Thank you for review, Laura.
      We appreciate your continued business and loyalty with us. We look forward to servicing you again in the future.

I will pass on your comments to Phillip, Vince, and Matt and will let them know you are satisfied with their efforts.

Thank you for choosing American Hartford Gold.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2022

I worked with Scott ** and Sean ** to establish a Traditional IRA and process a funds rollover into the account. Both were extremely helpful in educating me on the subject of a Gold IRA. I worked with Sean ** to create a precious metals portfolio for my Gold IRA. He was extremely knowledgeable about the current precious metals landscape and provided valuable insight into my portfolio preparation.

He patiently explained all the categories and types of metals available that could be included in my portfolio. He answered all my question and alleviated any hesitation I had about making decisions regarding my portfolio content. I feel the portfolio we established will adequately satisfy my long term goals. I highly recommend American Hartford Gold for anyone desiring to include precious metals in their portfolio diversification.

American Hartford Gold response
      Thank you for your review, Albert.
      We are so happy to hear that you had a seamless experience.

We are dedicated to going that extra mile for our clients and we are glad to be of service.

Thank you for choosing American Hartford Gold and we look forward to assisting you again in the future.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2022

Sales team followed up when they said they would. Kelvin asked relevant questions to understand my need. He explained the different types of metals investments and the expectations regarding spread. I decided where I wanted to be. He then presented investment options in alignment with my goals. After explaining the traits of each investment I was able to determine which ones I preferred. Kelvin assisted in breaking my investment between gold and silver in the percentages I chose and provided my quantities and price for each unit. To this point everything has been as advertised and I am satisfied with my purchase. What is left is delivery. I cannot comment on that yet. Thanks.

American Hartford Gold response
      Thank you so much for your review, Chad!

We strive towards providing the best customer service to all our clients and we are pleased to know you are satisfied with our services. I will pass on your comments to Kelvin.

Thank you for choosing American Hartford Gold.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2021

An extremely friendly professional experience is best way to describe my becoming a American Hartford Gold Group customer. From my first inquiry about owning precious metals to beginning my transfer from stocks to precious metals was smooth and most assuring that we were making a sound investment decision. Each member of American Hartford Gold Group treated me with respect, explaining clearly how the process would work in purchasing precious metal assets through completion of each transaction.

I had a favorable interaction with every team member, each went out of their way to ensure I understood what action we were taking and what to expect next. Fully explaining how the transaction would flow, where the precious metals would be held and how the interactions with the entity would work. Very satisfying and reassuring experience to say the least. I would highly recommend working with American Hartford Gold Group when looking for an excellent move into precious metals, you will find a knowledgeable and committed team to provide you a top invest experience.

Original review: June 19, 2022

I ran into one problem of getting one of the items I ordered. It took an extra-long time and a few phone calls. But all in all, I had a good experience. The young man that I dealt with was prompt, answered my questions and tried to help me. I would go back to them if I needed to buy again.

American Hartford Gold response
      Thank you for your review, Lee.

We appreciate your feedback and your continued trust in us.

If there is anything we can do to assist you further, please let us know.

Thank you for choosing American Hartford Gold.

Original review: June 4, 2022

They explained everything thoroughly and I went with almost every recommendation they made. So far, so good. I got my $500 silver coins quickly.

American Hartford Gold response

Thank you for your review, Dave.

We look forward to servicing you again in the future!

Thank you for choosing American Hartford Gold.

Original review: June 2, 2022

I wanted to invest in silver a little bit as a backup. I did that with American Hartford Gold and my experience was excellent overall. I exceeded my goals. The representative did whatever he could to give me the best price and the most bang for my buck. I would definitely work with American Hardford Gold.

American Hartford Gold response

Thank you for your review, Wesley.

Reviews like yours make all the hard work worthwhile!

Thank you for choosing American Hartford Gold.

Original review: June 1, 2022

They were very accommodating and did what they said they were gonna do. I was pleased with the overall experience.

American Hartford Gold response

Thank you for your review, Randy!

We appreciate your continued trust in us.

Thank you for choosing American Hartford Gold.

Original review: May 27, 2022

Had a great experience with Joe and he explained everything throughout our conversation and helped me understand what buying gold and silver is all about, as a first time buyer! He answered questions I had and discussed a variety of options that were available too. Very helpful.

American Hartford Gold response

Thank you for your review, Bradley.

We are so glad to hear that you were provided with excellent customer service. I will pass on your kind comments to Joe and I will let him know that you are satisfied with his efforts.

American Hartford Gold Company Information