4.62/5
  • 1 star
Show rating distribution

The Hartford Gold Group

ConsumerAffairs Accredited Brand

The Hartford Gold Group has helped thousands of individuals and families to protect and diversify their wealth through precious metals. We offer a variety of precious metals in order to give our customers the most options when choosing to invest. Our products include physical gold, silver, platinum coins and bars, as well as the innovative Private Storage Gold IRA. The Private Storage Gold IRA was created in order to help retirement investors achieve a greater financial security. Contact us today to learn more about our products, services, and how we can assist you!

A+

BBB Rating
Read More Read More
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 15, 2017

98 The Hartford Gold Group Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

I kept reading about what was going to happen to the dollar so I decided to move my money into gold and silver. I liked the way that David from Hartford Gold talked and what he told me. I’ve called them back several times and talked to them since opening the account. One time, I started not to do it but David kept talking to me and told me that there were some advantages to putting my money in silver and gold. It was a self-directed IRA. He said that whenever I'm got ready to withdraw it out, I can claim about 60% of it. The company has been good with me and to anyone thinking of putting their money into gold, use Hartford.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Oct. 10, 2017

I had some money in the 401k that I was wanting to move into hard assets and I dealt with someone who recommended The Hartford Gold Group. I was debating what to put the money in and the Hartford people were pushing something they were trying to unload versus primarily my best interest. Yet they were courteous and they lead me toward an ounce and a half Canadian moose. It was a little more of a collectible or a numismatic coin versus just bullion. Most of my investment has been in bullion because I’m concerned with something that will be barterable not numismatic. Yet I figured I’d try that to see and there's hefty premium on them at the time over the bullion. That has been a year or so ago and I got it in the depository. I'm taking time to tell if it’s worthwhile going that way or if I have been better off going into bullion.

Original review: Oct. 9, 2017

I'm interested in gold and what's going to happen when the President changes our currency to a gold backed currency. There's a rumor that the President’s going to change things and make gold the basic of our currency because we have so much trouble keeping within our budget. I haven't had a confirmation with that but I want to be ready if and when I hear the announcement that is correct. I have a plan in mind to buy $25,000 worth of gold and silver and in the meantime try to find out the other stocks between gold and silver. They're going up to 10 times. But so far, I'm happy with Hartford.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2017

I contacted several different coin companies and bullion sales and the best I got was the Hartford Gold Group. The team was very down to earth and easy to talk to. I invested in time and now I'm making more money in stocks. The Hartford Gold Group was excellent and did a good job.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

I'm worried about the currency crashing, and no country has ever gone to this kind of debt and none of them has gone bankrupt. But the currency has become worthless overnight and that's the biggest reason I invested in some gold. Everything changes on the United States currency and I know there are thousands of people who wouldn’t try to keep it from doing that but I don't trust it. The Hartford Gold Group team was really pleasant and I felt good about going with them.

My biggest disappointment was that I invested a good sum of money and gold was at a high point a year ago and then it went down, and the value of my investment got cut almost in half. The gold didn't go down in half, but its value did. I couldn’t trust Hartford Gold Group anymore because I don't understand how 40,000 can become 20,000 in two months. The gold only went down 10% or 20%. I gave them the benefit of the doubt but I haven't gotten any call back from anybody. I was trying to get a hold of Alex and I wanted to talk to him about that. I feel like I made a mistake.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about The Hartford Gold Group?

Original review: Oct. 6, 2017

The name Hartford sounds like something that I heard for so many years and I figured they're probably a good reputable precious metal company. I don't recall much about buying the precious metal, but I know that I had purchased something there. I'm trying to get my life and everything back together so I'm trying to reach out to try and get an invoice copy about things like that. I recommend them but one should try to be very, very thorough with them and make sure they're very, very thorough with you.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

I’d like to invest with Hartford than in physical gold. The basic gold pricing was expensive and I think I was overcharged. My dealing with their employees was fine. I've spoken with three people, but most of the time there were two of them. They were very educated in what they do and got back to me. I’m satisfied with the overall experience.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2017

I had my money and it wasn't making any interest so I thought I'll buy silver coins. They'll go up in value and they're something tangible. I can have them myself if I have a self-directed IRA and do all the stuff. So I was calling Hartford to see if there was a way to do what I wanted to do and they seemed to have provided that easier way for me. I had called some other place about getting silver coins and they were too complicated while Hartford was able to do it without complication. I have my coins at Delaware Depository so it was an easier thing and they were paying for the storage fee for the first year. Moreover, the guy at Hartford seemed genuinely interested in helping me. Every time I've called them or if they're busy, they always call back or I get them right away. They answer any questions for me and they seem to be very professional.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2017

I had money in stocks that were just stagnant, and I wanted to gamble some money and turned to Hartford. But I haven’t made any on it yet and I feel like I got duped when I bought it. I talked to Jonathan who said he was the vice president of the sales. He said that silver prices are at an all-time low and China has flooded the market and their silver is $10 a unit. I was thinking a unit was an ounce. So I bought in to it and I spent $108,000 and sent them some change. And I got 11 bags of silver which was pretty impressive. Then I fell on some hard times and I sent one back at first and then I sent six back, and I took a pretty good loss on it. I’ve pawned three bags of it and I have one here at my house left. We already have so much of it sold, we’re just waiting to get made.

I considered getting a lawyer and suing them for fraud. But the lawyer said I can’t prove anything. He told me that thinking that a unit was an ounce was my fault. A unit is one coin but it certainly wasn’t at an all-time low but was at an all-time high when I bought it. So I’m a little upset about it. I spoke with the president of Hartford, Steve, and he explained to me. He also gave me his private number and said that I can call him anytime I have any questions or concerns, and it made me feel really good. Even though it was my ignorance, Hartford has always treated me really well. They send and pay the shipping on everything, and the turnaround is really quick. When I send it to them, I have money in my bank within three days.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2017

I was impressed with the stuff the Hartford Gold Group had to tell me and their knowledge in that field. That sold me because they were a substantial company and has been around for a while. I also checked them out and I was happy with them. The Hartford Gold Group team kept in touch with me on a regular basis. After speaking with them, they gave me a different approach in investment options which I was grateful for.

Original review: Sept. 28, 2017

The people of Hartford Gold Group were responsive and helpful. They had a good level of knowledge and they were very courteous too. I make blunders and I couldn't get through things because I'm not so computer literate, but they were very kind and we eventually worked through the different things that I had to work through and it worked.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

I wanted to diversify and I didn’t want to be stuck in stocks that were chosen by a money manager. I went with Hartford and they're very informative, communicative, and easy to work with. They're great because I travel a lot and they keep up with me and answer all my questions no matter where I am, and we’re able to do everything via email.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2017

I found out about The Hartford Gold Group from Google and everybody was very helpful and easy to get a hold of. The guidance I received was spot on and overall it was a positive experience.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

I had a good experience with Hartford Gold. I liked what I read about them and contacted them about gold and silver. The reps have been good as well. Every time I've emailed or asked a question, I got an answer right away. Other than the price of gold is going sky high, everything’s really good.

Original review: Sept. 24, 2017

I was trying to get an IRA that’s backed in another way. I ended up talking to Arthur, a rep from Hartford, and he was really good. The only thing is when they sent me some of the precious metals, it came in four batches. The second one was supposed to be signed for, and they just left it at my doorstep. I live in an apartment complex with a field and people walk by all time. And I see people taking packages on the news all the time. I was home so I got the package but they need to contact the carrier. And then I tried to contact the woman who had sent me the email regarding the shipment. And she didn’t call me back, and she didn’t respond to email. And that really is a no-no with me. I ended up talking to another lady and I told her about it. Other than that, they’ve been really great for everything else. And the new guy I have on board now is very responsive.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

I started with gold and silver and now, I’m considering other investments. With all the research I did, I felt that The Hartford Gold Group was one of the top to go with. I'm getting ready to reinvest so I talked with someone from the Hartford team today about another transaction. Their customer service has been great. The rep was very informative. He answered my questions and treated me very knowledgeably. If I asked questions, I didn’t feel dumb about it. Also, I’ve always been able to get through. If I wasn’t able to get through, I’d get an email back. They’re prompt.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I've bought gold from three different places to hold it somewhere else besides the bank. My experience with Hartford Gold has been good. I would suggest though that I'd be able to use a credit card to pay which is a lot easier, plus I get 1% or 5% back.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

I like the size of Hartford Gold Group. I worked with one rep and his assistant and my interactions with them were straightforward. After I spoke to the individuals, I decided to go with Hartford and I have been with them for a few months now.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

I looked at about five different investment companies and Hartford Gold looked was closer to what I wanted so I decided to go with them. The interactions with the Gold Group team were very professional. They answered the questions I had and tried to be helpful along the way. The guidance that I received was what I was thinking and I figured that for what I had envisioned it was a good possibility. I worried about some of them that gave a bunch of silver and stuff out, trying to get me on there but Hartford Gold wants to help and wants me succeed and that is a good deal.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

There was excitement about the value of gold a few years back and how it's going and that's when I heard about Hartford Gold. They have a professional team who seem to know what they were doing. They made suitable and reasonable possibilities that may or may not occur so it made sense to me. They are somebody who knows a whole lot about investment than I do.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2017

I had had a long-term interest in buying gold. I called The Hartford Gold Group and they gave me a price that seemed reasonable compared to the spot price of gold. I knew what I wanted, and they didn’t try to sell me anything else and was easy to deal with, which was good. So I ordered some gold and sent them a check. The gold was then sent to me. It was very simple. They seemed like a very business-oriented group and didn’t seem like a boiler room sales job.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

I was interested in buying ore and I went to talk with Mark. He gave me good information. Then he led me on to a man who was really super nice about the information. It was the way that this man spoke with me. He covered a lot of things and didn't seem rushed about it. It was like we were just sitting in a room, just chit-chatting. I had already bought scrap silver previously from another company. They were okay but I just didn't get that much of a feeling from the people as a group. When I talked to Mark, I just felt that this is somebody that is interested in helping you, not just selling. The first transaction with Hartford was great and the second was great so far too. I'm just waiting on information that the gold is being released or will be released from Canada.

Original review: Sept. 7, 2017

I like Hartford Gold Group a lot and I needed to have gold and silver so I contacted them. I was running stocks and bonds and decided to go a little extra somewhere else. Hartford gave me what I wanted, told me what I was going to get and at what price I was going to get it. It has delivered, transferred money and got it in my account. Investing was something I had thought about in the past. They appraised them 60/40 and I wound up with 70/30 split. I like silver better than gold so I was right in the ballpark of what they came up with. Everything just went smooth. But I learned a lot since then and found out I can buy from individuals. Basically families pass away, kids will get the gold and silver and don't know what to do with them and I'll pay them more than the pawnshop and that's a better deal for me to collect elsewhere. It’s in smaller quantities and a little riskier but I get what I want.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2017

I've been following our economy and I thought we ought to invest some of our savings in gold and silver. I spoke with Neil and he seemed real knowledgeable, very helpful, explained everything to me, and was easy to talk with so I went with Hartford and used most of my IRA two years ago. I’ve been real pleased and I haven't regretted doing that.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

I was concerned about the economy and thought I needed to get some of my money out of bonds, and put it into silver and gold. The people of Hartford Gold are very positive. I was eager to make the transaction later when I went back and figured out what I had actually paid and what the value of the money of the gold and silver was and I was shocked. I purchased $50,000 worth of gold and silver. Then, when I went back and looked at the market value of what I had purchased, it was $39,000. I didn't understand what was happening and I should have checked the market value before I put that money in. Hartford sent me quarterly reports and they're trying to be open as far as I can see. It was more a problem on my end than theirs.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2017

I was looking to buy some gold and Hartford’s prices were reasonably competitive compared to some of the other people. When it came down to doing the final deal, some of the things they said they were going to do didn’t happen. And so, I was disappointed. One of their guys quoted the worth of one gold piece. When I checked it up, a piece that I actually purchased didn’t match the value of what they said it was worth. We have talked about this discrepancy. It was just one piece and it switched me off a little bit. I also had to call up and find out when they were going to ship it and the time frames were not what they said they were going to be. It was messy and a mediocre experience overall.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2017

I decided to contact Hartford Gold Group for an investment, and interacting with their team was satisfactory. I knew exactly what I wanted and told them. The process I went through was easy.

Original review: Sept. 2, 2017

I wanted to invest in gold and silver and Paul from The Hartford Gold Group called a couple of times. I finally ended up talking with him and he seemed like he knew what he was talking about. When he explained things, it seemed to make sense with the options he was providing so I went with them. So far everyone seems very professional down to the administrator and everything is moving on fine. I have been happy with them so far and I'm looking forward to working with them.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I transferred my funds to another company. And when I was searching, Hartford Gold Group kept popping up. I made my first purchase or exchange in January and the guidance I received was good. They were helpful and concise. Plus, I get the emails and I'm still in touch with them. But I do have one thing noted. I could not change the shipment delivery date to a Saturday. But, if they put it as home delivery, then that could be rescheduled to Saturday. But it's just an FYI, especially if I buy more, I will remember to tell whomever. I would recommend Hartford Gold Group to anyone.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2017

I wanted to diversify my IRA. I contacted The Hartford Gold Group then I started getting calls from them. Their team was good and they explained everything. I was working under their advice and they seemed to know what they were doing. I had a choice since I knew which way to go but I went with their recommendation. They also sent me some metals to keep at home as a thank you.

The Hartford Gold Group Company Information