5.0/5 (65 ratings)

About American Hartford Gold

American Hartford Gold Group is a family-owned business that sells precious metals and precious metal IRAs. Physical precious metals are available as bars or coins. Gold and silver IRAs are an alternative to traditional IRAs that allow you to invest in precious metals. These IRAs can also help diversify your retirement savings.

Pros

• Buyback commitment
    • High customer ratings
    • No shipping fees

Cons

• Metal investments carry risks
    • No prices on online catalog

Bottom Line

American Hartford Gold offers precious metals and gold IRAs. Metals are typically sold in coin or bar form. A gold IRA lets you invest in precious metals in a tax-advantaged way and store them at a secure facility.

Top American Hartford Gold Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

All the staff at American Hartford Gold were very helpful, knowledgeable, and professional. The staff took time to explain in detail the process of purchasing and provided options...

Verified

I have now made a couple purchases with American Hartford. They made it easy, and after calling around to a couple outfits, they had the best pricing. I received my metals within ...

Gold and other precious metal IRAs are an investment and carry risk. Consumers should be alert to claims that customers can make a lot of money in these or any investment with little risk. As with any investment, you can lose money and past performance is not a guarantee of future performance results. Consumers should also obtain a clear understanding of the fees associated with any investment before agreeing to invest.

What is American Hartford Gold?

American Hartford Gold is a precious metals seller that helps customers set up gold and silver IRAs. Some of American Hartford Gold’s IRA-eligible investment options include:

• American Gold Eagle coins
    • American Gold Buffalo coins
    • Gold bars
    • American Silver Eagle coins
    • Silver Canadian Maple Leaf coins

Its website also offers advice on how to use precious metals for survival purposes. Since gold and silver have some intrinsic value, these metals are often used as investments in case the dollar or banks fail.

How does American Hartford Gold Group work?

American Hartford Gold offers a simple way to set up your gold IRA. Here are the basic steps:

1. Fill out the company’s gold IRA form either online or over the phone.
    2. A product specialist contacts you and helps you open a self-directed IRA.
    3. Decide your initial investment amount. You can transfer funds to your new IRA or roll over funds from your current IRA provider to American Hartford Gold.
    4. Talk to an account executive to discuss what precious metals you’d like to select for your account once your IRA is set up. IRS-approved precious metals include gold, silver, platinum and palladium.

At the age of 59½, you’re eligible to either receive your physical metals or liquidate an amount you choose. IRS rules apply with a gold IRA, so you can incur penalties for withdrawing early.

American Hartford Gold costs

American Hartford Gold does not charge to set up a precious metals IRA or roll over a retirement account. There are also no fees for shipping your precious metals to the depository, including for insurance and tracking.

Depository fees vary depending on your investment amount, and the company’s online catalogs for precious metals do not list prices, so you must speak to a representative. The website does provide price charts for gold, silver and platinum, though.

American Hartford Gold FAQ

Yes, you can. The company stores your assets at a private, IRS-approved facility. When you retire, you can choose to withdraw the physical gold or liquidate it.
    Yes. The company has consistently high ratings from customers, and it offers a buyback commitment.
    American Hartford Gold stores precious metals at a private depository that is both insured and IRS-approved.
    American Hartford Gold is located in Los Angeles, California, but the company’s services are not location-specific. Accounts can be handled over the phone or through its website.

Is American Hartford Gold worth it?

American Hartford Gold is a solid choice if you’re looking to buy precious metals or open a precious metals IRA. The company offers a buyback guarantee and doesn’t charge fees to open an account or ship your metals to the depository. Purchasing coins and bars in gold and silver without setting up an IRA is also an option if you’re nervous about the stability of banks.

American Hartford Gold Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Hartford Gold?

Original review: Nov. 6, 2021

An extremely friendly professional experience is best way to describe my becoming a American Hartford Gold Group customer. From my first inquiry about owning precious metals to beginning my transfer from stocks to precious metals was smooth and most assuring that we were making a sound investment decision. Each member of American Hartford Gold Group treated me with respect, explaining clearly how the process would work in purchasing precious metal assets through completion of each transaction.

I had a favorable interaction with every team member, each went out of their way to ensure I understood what action we were taking and what to expect next. Fully explaining how the transaction would flow, where the precious metals would be held and how the interactions with the entity would work. Very satisfying and reassuring experience to say the least. I would highly recommend working with American Hartford Gold Group when looking for an excellent move into precious metals, you will find a knowledgeable and committed team to provide you a top invest experience.

Get buying tips about Gold IRA Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2021

11/2/2021. With the huge, out of control government deficit spending, I decided it was time to protect my retirement by buying precious metals with my Traditional IRA. My research for gold and silver came down to American Hartford Gold and I am very glad it did. As a first-time buyer, I called and talked to Dan S., a seasoned veteran with the company, who made me feel at ease right away. There was absolutely no pressure, only information on what to expect and how he would walk me through the entire process. Dan did everything, he told me he would do and made the whole transition painless and very easy. For the record, I recommend American Hartford Gold, for anyone, considering precious metals. Thank you, Dan S.

Sincerely,

Steve M

Original review: Nov. 2, 2021

I had long thought about investing in precious metals but my financial adviser said I would be better advised in investing in metal mining stocks. With the inflation looming, I decided to take the plunge. When looking for a source for investing, I decided on Hartford Gold because a close friend recommended the company. I placed a call and was immediately given all the necessary information and paperwork needed to move a portion of my 401k into precious metals. The move was easy and in addition I was assured of buyback when and if necessary as well as receiving $500 in silver for being a new customer. I would certainly recommend Hartford Gold for your precious metal investment.

Original review: July 30, 2021

This is the first time my wife and I bought gold and silver. We are very pleased we bought from The Hartford Gold Group. From the main website, to Scott who opened a request for us, to Andrew who explained our purchase options, to Candace who confirmed that we understood everything we were purchasing and that Andrew and Scott explained everything clearly to us, we have peace of mind that will not be taken advantage of. Because of this experience, we TRUST The Hartford Gold Group and will recommend them to family and friends! You have good people in your company. This is hard to find these days.

Sincerely,

John and Eugenia

Original review: July 16, 2021

I decided to secure my retirement from the current economic environment with precious metals. Everyone at American Hartford Gold were extremely professional and knowledgeable. I want to thank Steve in helping me transfer funds from my TSP account to my Gold IRA, he made it very easy. From there Kyle ** and Spencer assisted me in procuring precious metals for my Gold IRA Account. They were very knowledgeable and I learned a lot, especially from Kyle. He explained the importance of diversifying in metals and why I needed bars and coins. He also explained the storage and insurance of my assets which will put you at ease knowing that they are secure. Finally, Candace was very thorough finalizing my transaction and ensured that I got all the paperwork for my records.

Thanks you all,

Rob

Original review: Jan. 18, 2022

First time buying gold and silver. Looked at several companies before choosing Hartford Gold. Both BJ ** and Thomas ** were both helpful in helping me to make my my decisions on what products to choose. I recommend this company highly. I feel they are upfront and honest in their dealings. Brent F.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2021

When dealing with this company you can be rest assured that they will walk you through the process with an overabundance of clarity to ensure you understand what is happening. I to work in customer service and was truly amazed at their support, friendliness, knowledge and thoroughness.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2021

The whole buying experience with HGG was very satisfactory. Daniel helped me to buy exactly what I needed and it was a pleasure doing business with him. Would recommend HGG to anyone interested in buying precious metals. They come through with the goods.

Original review: Dec. 6, 2021

Ron representing the Hartford group was very knowledgeable and helpful in the many choices there are to purchase gold and silver and the rest of his group followed through with everything they had promised - THANK YOU Ron -

Original review: Nov. 25, 2021

We could not be more satisfied with the service American Hartford Gold Group provided. Bill's team was patient, knowledgeable, friendly, and professional. They really LISTEN to the customer & work to meet the exact needs. We will call them again! Thank you

American Hartford Gold Company Information