2. Gold IRA Companies

4.4/5 (82 ratings)

About American Hartford Gold

American Hartford Gold is a family-owned business that sells precious metals and precious metal IRAs. Physical precious metals are available in bar, coin and bouillon form. Gold and silver IRAs are an alternative to a traditional IRA, which focuses on bonds, stocks and other standard investments. Precious metal IRAs help diversify retirement savings and overall wealth.

Pros

• Buy-back guarantee
    • High customer ratings
    • No shipping fees

Cons

• Metal investments carry risks
    • No prices on online catalog

Bottom Line

American Hartford Gold Group sells precious metals for investment and gold IRAs. Metals are typically sold in coin or bar form. A gold IRA lets you invest in precious metals and store it at a secure facility.

Top American Hartford Gold Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs

Verified

I'd been thinking about buying a little gold and silver for a while and Hartford was the convenient one that came along… I didn’t know how to go about their service… but the rep A...

Verified

I had been wanting to invest in metals for some time. I went with The Hartford Gold Group and their reps were all very proactive and customer service oriented. They're very knowle...

Gold and other precious metal IRAs are an investment and carry risk. Consumers should be alert to claims that customers can make a lot of money in these or any investment with little risk. As with any investment, you can lose money and past performance is not a guarantee of future performance results. Consumers should also obtain a clear understanding of the fees associated with any investment before agreeing to invest.

What is American Hartford Gold Group?

American Hartford Gold Group sells precious metals and gold and helps customers set up precious metal and gold IRAs. Some of American Hartford Gold Group’s popular investments include:

• American Gold Eagle coins
    • American Buffalo gold coins
    • 1-ounce gold bars
    • American Silver Eagle coins
    • Canadian Silver Maple Leaf coins

The website also offers advice on how to use precious metals for survival purposes. Since gold and silver are recognized currency, these metals are often used as investments in case the dollar or banks fail.

How does American Hartford Gold Group work?

American Hartford Gold Group offers a simple way to set up your gold IRA:

1. Fill out the company’s gold IRA account form either online or over the phone.
    2. A product specialist contacts you and helps you open a self-directed IRA. (This is the type of account required for this investment.)
    3. Decide your initial investment amount. You can roll over funds from your current IRA provider to American Hartford Gold Group or transfer funds to your new IRA.
    4. Talk to an account executive to discuss what precious metals you’d like to select for your account once your precious metals IRA is set up. IRS-approved precious metals include gold, silver, platinum and palladium.

At the age of 59½, you’re eligible to either receive your physical metals or liquidate the amount you choose. IRS rules apply with a gold IRA, so you can incur penalties for withdrawing early. American Hartford Gold Group recommends holding your precious metals for between five and 10 years.

American Hartford Gold Group costs

American Hartford Gold Group does not charge to set up a precious metals IRA or roll over a retirement account. There are also no fees for shipping your precious metals to the depository, including insurance and tracking.

Depository fees vary depending on your investment amount. The online catalogs for precious metals do not list prices — you must speak to a company representative. The website does provide price charts for gold, silver and platinum.

American Hartford Gold Group FAQ

Can I own physical gold with American Hartford Gold Group?
    Yes, you can. The company stores your assets at a private, IRS-approved facility. When you retire, you can choose to withdraw the physical gold or liquidate it.
    Is American Hartford Gold Group legit?
    Yes. The company has consistently high ratings from customers, and it offers a buy-back commitment.
    Where does American Hartford Gold Group store precious metals?
    American Hartford Gold Group stores precious metals at a private storage facility that is both insured and IRS-approved. These facilities are known as depositories.
    Where is American Hartford Gold Group located?
    American Hartford Gold Group is located in Los Angeles, California, but the company’s services are not location-specific. Accounts can be handled over the phone or through the website.

Is American Hartford Gold Group worth it?

American Hartford Gold Group is a solid choice if you’re looking to buy precious metals or open a precious metals IRA. The company offers a buy-back guarantee and charges no fees to open an account or ship your metals to the depository. Purchasing coins and bars in gold and silver without setting up an IRA is also a viable option for those who are nervous about the stability of banks. Precious metal coins and bars are available for purchase even without a Gold IRA.

American Hartford Gold Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Hartford Gold?

Original review: Jan. 22, 2021

A guy at work and I were doing a little research on the internet and we were looking at the background of American Hartford Gold. Then, we put our heads together and figured out that Hartford Gold was the best company to go with. We also saw some commercials for them and the guy on TV convinced us to sign up. Their commercials seem to be well-made and maintained as well. So, we felt good about Hartford Gold.

The agents we worked with were great and I've heard from one of them one time since I've invested in gold, which they were trying to fund. I already sent the money and trying to fund it all. I'm not sure how that works but I'm sure it's all done by now. However, I would have liked to get a phone call saying that my account is funded, it's got the gold and silver in there, and that it's sitting at so and so. I'd also like them to tell me my confirmation number. But maybe it's my fault. Maybe I got a phone call that said potential spam and I didn't get it. So, if my phone comes up and it says Hartford Gold, I would answer it.

Other than that, I really enjoyed talking to their guy. I'm a business major and I felt like signing up with them was the best thing to shelter what little I have into precious metals and do something a little different. Plus, I took mine and turned it over. I didn't want to go into the taxes and I wanted just to roll it over into something different. American Hartford Gold has been good for me so far and I'm really going to be happy when the dollar falls and the gold prices go up. I'm looking forward to that. We're going to go to a new currency and I'm going to be set for that to happen.

Get buying tips about Gold IRA Companies delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 21, 2021

I was rolling over from a prior employer's retirement plan. But where I was rolling it from was trying to get me to sell my stock outside of that. When I called and talked to my contact with Hartford Gold, he said that what I was trying to do made no sense. As I talked to him longer, I realized what they were trying to do. It was nice to have somebody to bounce that off of. I might not have had that realization if I had that on somewhere else.

Hartford Gold was very helpful, thorough and patient. There was some hold up on part of it that I was rolling over for some reason. They had issues with that. Hartford Gold had offered to contact where I was rolling it over from. But I worked in a community bank and it was in the same community. Hartford Gold respected the fact I was telling them that it was a small community of 12,000 people and there were personal relationships there. I didn't want the big guns coming in and trying to do it for me so I told them to let me handle it and they listened to that for me. Now, I'm still waiting on my silver for opening my account. Evidently, one person stopped the other person that placed the order and the other person stopped the other one I had. So my orders got placed a week or two ago for that. But that's the only little glitch I've had and everything else has been really good.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2021

I trust Bill O'Reilly. He would not purposely send us down the wrong alley or pitch us down the well. And then when I called American Hartford Gold Group, I got ahold of Andy who is an absolute expert of making friends on the telephone. He’s quite an interesting person. American Hartford did whatever I asked him to do. I plan on continuing investing with them.

I would like to have a feature included that gives me a monthly update on the value of my investment. The market value, not the spot price. A monthly figure that could be in actual money if I were to sell it. And then, the other thing is I have two accounts with them now. One is an IRA. I took my money out of the stock market and put it in precious metals with them. And the other is savings that I have accumulated over the time. And you don't want to have that sitting around at home, right? So I got it in my bank account, that little drawer that they have that you open. And an account with Hartford.

I'd like to be able to take my required withdrawal from my IRA, because you get to a certain age and then you have to do that. And I'd like to be able to take that money directly, pay taxes on it, and put it right directly into my other account with them. There should be a way that that can be done without them having to send the precious metal in the mail to me or by UPS or FedEx, and then me having to turn it around and send it back through that deal to be added to my other account.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2021

I like Bill O'Reilly. He recommended American Hartford Gold Group. I liked who I talked to, everything he talked about, and what I could get out of it in the future. I trusted him. But after I bought it and put into it, it showed the value of my gold was $7,000 less than what I thought it would be. It upset my family a bit. And I started off on hold. It went to 7,000, but I was on hold at the get-go because there was a fee that the rep didn’t tell me about that I had to pay. I didn’t think that 7,000 on hold, gold couldn’t drop that much in two weeks. And silver, too.

What the rep explained to me was it was in-ground price of the gold when he went to process the price of the gold. But it still didn't value the amount of $7,000 worth. That amount is maybe 6,000 or 7,000. So, there was a fee involved that I had to pay that I didn't know about, except for the fee of $190 a year for storing my gold. If he had told me that, then I might have sat and tossed in it, explained to my wife first why I did that. But that’s the only thing. I’m just dealing with it, hoping the gold will go up to 3,000 a month so I can get my money back. I need to break even. I was hoping I’d make money. I hope I will. Before I recommend a friend, I need to be upfront and say there is a $2,000 or $3,000 fee to do this for me. And then, I’d understand maybe more than get hit in the head when I go find out that my gold that has put into my equity is $10,000 less. And that is what threw me off.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2020

My wife and I determined that we wanted to start looking into precious metals. We first contacted Rosland Capital because they are much more pronounced on the television in terms of the commercials. The customer service was not very good and they were taking too long to get back with me. I went online and I began to look at other precious metals organizations or agencies that can do the same thing that Rosland Capital is doing. I found Hartford and then, I saw Bill O'Reilly highly recommend this particular agency. I said that I’m gonna give it a try. I called and I spoke with Jeff. We had a very good conversation in terms of education because I don't know much about precious metals. He helped me with understanding contacts and everything else. He’s a senior guy so he understood it very much clearly and was able to dumb it down. He made it very simple and I was able to comprehend it very easily.

We spent a long time on the phone talking about precious metals, where the market was going and all the other things. With the conversation and with the knowledge base that he had, I felt very comfortable. I gave it a try because I connected with him, he connected with me and was going out of his way to spend the time just speaking and talking. And that was helpful for me. It was my key that this is the precious metal agency organization I need to work with because these guys are engaged. I can learn a little bit more. He said that I could always call on him if I need understanding and I just went through the whole thing. That was what I was looking for, which is for someone to tell me something about it. No one was able to. I got the wrong person but I got the right person with Hartford. Jeff was able to bring it home and with that, I was sold on it.

The experience has been very positive. We can see in the market the decision that my wife and I made. The proof is in the pudding. We made the right decision and with that, I went out again to purchase more metals because of what Jeff and I talked about. I saw all the tangible things and so, I went forward with it. He made a believer out of me and that was very hard to overcome because about three weeks ago, I was on a webinar and I was with someone who was a financial investor, and I brought it up. He talked in a very not so positive light about precious metals and he said that this is not the way to go. So, it was hard for me at that point because I had that at the back of my mind, But the webinar made us think that this was a way to move forward with precious metals. Having Jeff make sense out of what I was exposed to made a difference.

At this point though, I have not received one of my shipment but Jeff has been working with me to try to get the silver that I purchased a while back. There have been some mix up in terms of the order. They thought that they had been delivered. Still, overall, the experience was very positive, educational, engaging and informative.

Original review: July 16, 2021

I decided to secure my retirement from the current economic environment with precious metals. Everyone at American Hartford Gold were extremely professional and knowledgeable. I want to thank Steve in helping me transfer funds from my TSP account to my Gold IRA, he made it very easy. From there Kyle ** and Spencer assisted me in procuring precious metals for my Gold IRA Account. They were very knowledgeable and I learned a lot, especially from Kyle. He explained the importance of diversifying in metals and why I needed bars and coins. He also explained the storage and insurance of my assets which will put you at ease knowing that they are secure. Finally, Candace was very thorough finalizing my transaction and ensured that I got all the paperwork for my records.

Thanks you all,

Rob

Original review: July 12, 2021

I have now made a couple purchases with American Hartford. They made it easy, and after calling around to a couple outfits, they had the best pricing. I received my metals within about a week, and my rep has always been available with market news and updates. Thank you!

Original review: July 9, 2021

The most impressive aspect of my decision to purchase gold was the intensive desire to educate me on all my options from Jonathan and Sean! They made sure I completely understood what was best for me to purchase. They have a process that assured me and gave me the confidence to make my first purchase of gold. I had no idea how much I needed to know until they spent the time to work with me! They were first class!

Original review: June 14, 2021

Working with John ** and Jonathan T at American Hartford Gold made my first time purchase easier than I expected. They explained everything to me step by step. I would use them again and will recommend them to my family and friends.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2021

I had some 401k money that was just sitting out and it'd be a good idea to put it into gold, so I contacted American Harford Gold. They were very helpful. I'm a real novice with the process, so they really took their time and explained everything to me. I felt really good about the transaction. They even called me to see how I was doing afterward and if I had any other follow up questions. It was a great experience and I was very satisfied. American Hartford Gold is great for a novice.

American Hartford Gold Company Information