2. Finance

Formerly GMAC

3.6/5 (704 ratings)

About Ally Bank

Ally Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ally Bank?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ally Bank?

Original review: June 6, 2021

I am having a very positive experience with Ally Bank. Their customer service is very good, and the Web interface is easy to understand and fast. Interest rates are much better than brick and mortar banks. They have plenty of ATM locations. Ally Bank is perfect for anyone who doesn't require a physical bank to satisfy their banking needs. I highly recommend Ally Bank.

Original review: June 5, 2021

I use Ally Bank and the only bad thing I can honestly say is the daily limits on what I can send aren't enough. If I have a $2000 transaction or transfer to make, I have to do it over a several day period. It's a great online bank that does everything my corner bank does and I don't need to leave to send money, make deposits, or purchase anything online.

Original review: May 31, 2021

Been with Ally for 13 years now and they always seem to have my back. Some transfer speeds needed upgrading and a bit frustrating but I think they are working on this. Good customer service and fast response times as well. Best online banking to date. I highly recommend ALLY Bank to most. Minimal fees if any as well.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2021

Last April I walked into local Kia dealership and my credit score wasn't that great and Ally did approved me for no money down. And I was able to drive off the lot within a hour and much better than experience I had with Credit Acceptance 24 years ago. And Ally interest rates are much lower and I have it set up for automatic payments on due date through my bank account. And I make sure that I have more money in my bank account before the due date and haven't missed a payment. And Ally keeps reporting to the Credit Bureau as on time payments. So I recommend that call new and used car lots and ask if they do business with Ally before you do credit applications.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2020

Buying my first car was a big deal so I researched for months, both for my car itself and for the best loan offer. My credit was not the greatest (fair) so I did the best I could to clean it up in order to qualify for a loan. I learned that buying a car at the end of a quarter, or even better at the end of the year was the best way to get great deals so that's what I did.

I decided to get pre-qualified for a loan so I took the plunge into the 'no turning back' zone that puts the credit scare into all of us and allowed loan companies to start clicking into my credit for a loan. Several companies wanted my business and the loan amounts offered to me were all within the range I was looking for. The difference was that only one company, Ally, was willing to give me the best interest rate with my 'fair' credit score, and in fact, they also allowed me 3 months deferred payments on my first month. I easily set up direct deposit and voila' I am in my new car and my payment is $20 lower per month than I was planning on spending. And, I also wanted to say that I bought my car through Carmax and am really happy with both Ally and Carmax. I would recommend them both to anyone looking to buy a car, and being the end of the year you will get your best deal yet!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2021

I scheduled a wire transfer on 8-4 early morning to a gardener contractor for some backyard work. The wire never got approved on 8-4 and still shows a review status on 8-5. I was about to call ally and see what’s going and only found out they locked my account without any notification. I called their support on 8-6 and got transferred to their back office and answered several security questions. After the agent finally has assess to my account, she later found out she didn’t have the authority to do anything and advised me to continue to wait. At the meantime I may end up having to cash out some of my funds in brokerage account just to pay for the home remodeling.

Original review: July 30, 2021

I’ve financed cars for several years. I had a 5 year agreement and have always paid on time. I only have about $3000 left. But Once covid hit, unfortunately I was laid off my job, financially struggling with many bills and still not working. They offered to work with me in the beginning reassuring me but in the end, that just was not the case. I was behind about 2 months, I had made payments but they were not the full amount. I got a bill saying I owed $1200+ which included late fees. The bill due date was for 7/31/21. On 7/29 the day before, without a verbal warning, or letter, I went out and my vehicle was repossessed. In a panic. I thought my car was possibly stolen or taken for a past ticket? Had no idea what happened.

After calling the local police they suggested I call my finance company. After 2 HOURS, and a runaround of calling, I was finally told yes it was repossessed for late payments. I had received a voicemail prior that day just telling me to give a call back with no indication of urgency or possible repossession. They took my car to Suffolk County LI, 35 minutes from where I live when there are actually 3 reputable companies near me. The company also is only there from 10-2 and closed on the weekend. How convenient! After getting on the phone again to verify the information, a robotic, blunt, foreign, cold voice told me, I had to pay the total amount which was almost double with the late fees and a $400 tow fee! Almost $2000 and cash only! Also, there is a key fee if you don’t hand in your key right away and additional storage fees for each day your car remains.. I was given to August 14, otherwise my car would be put up for auction..

I was hysterical, Penniless, and humiliated.. Thank God, I was able to borrow the money from a friend and family member. You would think during these times of the pandemic a small shred of human decency would be shown but no. No remorse, not helpful, not honest, and just want to take your money.. I’ve never encountered such a company like this in my entire life. And I’ve been in customer service for over 25 years.... Yes I was late, but that is not how you treat customers... I’m writing this to help others. Please Be aware.. Check your due date, and the day before your due date, or they will repo you without warning...

Original review: July 26, 2021

Ally financial services has horrible ways to pay an auto loan, online payment won't work. They tell you to call and wait on hold to speak to a non English person. Third party services don't work and charges $5. Tried paying through Walmart money services. Their fee went from $8 to $20! And Western Union Quick Collect for instant is now $30.49! I'm just trying to make a car payment without jumping through 100000 hoops! Lesson learned and will NEVER finance through Ally Bank.

Original review: July 25, 2021

When covid hit I spoke to Ally and explained to them my situation and told them I needed at least 2 months. They told me it was ok. I called and informed the lady that I was going to make the payment the following day because it was nighttime and I couldn’t do the Money Order they asked me for that night. She said it was ok. That same night they repossessed my car. Making me pay $2,000 to take it out and they make me go through a ridiculous process just to get the car. And on top of that I had to make the payments. They refused to give me the car that following morning because it was too soon. They even made me pay for all the hours the car stayed there. They are not impeccable with their word and make you believe they’re on your side when in reality they only care about the money. I suggest you think twice about working with them. An auto loan is a delicate matter and you want to be sure the bank who’s lending you the money stays true to their word.

Original review: July 18, 2021

Ally financed my Auto Loan in 2016. When Covid lockdowns occurred in March 2020 and continued thru June 15th here in California I was bombarded with phone call after phone call regarding payment. There was nothing I could do to stay current but never fell more than 2 payments behind. Impressive considering no income. They offered deferred payment plans placing the payment on the loans backend. Not my best option but only option since the car was almost paid off. My car is my livelihood and didn’t want it reposed.

I answered the calls, spoke to so many service reps! I was a good consumer that found them very misleading and dishonest. They never truly moved those payments to the backend as promised, How do I know? Fast forward to now July 2021. My business is re opened and I decided to check my credit score to possibly relocate and it’s ruined ruined ruined by Ally Financial showing red late payments for almost the last year. The same period during the mandatory government lockdown. I’m going to fight for us little guys, and pursue a possible lawsuit! How can I be responsible for something the government decided? Ally Financial was extremely dishonest because they told me on several occasions as long as I was working with them there would be no negative credit rating. That is not true. My credit worthiness is gone! My only option is to sell my car and stop the hemorrhage.

Original review: July 16, 2021

I have been trying to get a lien release letter for 2 months on a car that was paid off in 2017! I have been bounced from department to department with no one who can help me get it resolved. Will never do business with them again!

Original review: July 16, 2021

I am an attorney with 30 years experience in real estate. I had never been involved with an online bank until last year. My interactions with them lead me to believe that their business model operates on the same principles as a fast food, but for mortgage lending. Absolutely no ability to deal with issues outside of a pre-fab model. Right hand does not know what left hand is doing leading to repetitive requests. No interest in client relationships just volume. Little substantive knowledge of basic real estate issues. No bilingual staff or ability to assess banking documents from institutions who operate in Spanish. For an online bank petty clunky software. I am severing my relationship with them and going back to Chase. Do not recommend to any Latino consumer.

Original review: July 15, 2021

My vehicle should have been paid off on 6/7/21 when the dealership sent in the check for the payoff of my car. The payment was applied on 6/8 and then was reversed on 6/17. I have tried to call every day to get it resolved since 6/8 and I can't get it fixed. Now my loan is showing late as of 6/15 and will mess up my credit. I have asked this entire time to speak with a supervisor and have yet to get one to call me back as of 7/15/21. This company is a joke and I cannot believe they can get away with treating people like this. They are messing up my credit that I worked so hard to build.

Original review: July 15, 2021

Ally invested in a company that dealt with paychecks and then distributing them, and when the company went bankrupt they accepted money out of those paychecks. This money did not belong to the company, the company had other's money moving through it. They took this money as part of the settlement of the remaining money when those who actually made the money got nothing. This is not acceptable to me, it needs to be addressed. I will not allow this to go quietly into the night.

Original review: July 14, 2021

I've been a happy Ally customer for many years... However, this changed recently. The Ally's agent managed to send my money to a wrong external account (closed few years ago) and it took hours of my time on the phone and 1+ week to get my money recovered. The agents are strictly following the call scripts and are not able to comprehend the mess up they created and how the bank shall step up to correct its error and compensate a client for the inconvenience and extra cost associated with the issue. The agents never follow up on the promises they make and it is impossible to get connected to anyone who has a reasonable level of authority to offer acceptable solutions. I did not expect such a bad experience and would not recommend Ally to anyone going forward.

Ally Bank Company Information