3.09/5

Formerly GMAC

964 Ally Bank Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

Last July, I got online as I have for the last 5 years and made my auto payment. For some reason, it did not show up as paid. I never got an email, phone call or any other kind of notice saying it was late or unpaid. In August, I got online on my regular date to make my August payment and made it. No where did it say I had a late or missing payment from July. Then in September I received a notice from Credit Karma that Ally was showing I had missed a payment in July. I immediately got online and made both my July payment and September payment, not understanding why my July payment was missing. I called immediately and got absolutely no help from their Chinese or otherwise based staff that are always impossible to communicate with due to the language barriers.

Ally Bank is now showing that I missed 2 payments, but for August and September, and it is absolutely clear I am missing NONE looking at THEIR payments made on their website. I have called and called and nothing is ever done to take this off my credit reports. I am trying to obtain a new mortgage and this is harming my credit score significantly, yet nothing is ever done. I do not recommend this bank!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I called customer service to explain that I was unsure of having enough balance to cover a check which has not cleared yet. I also had a auto pay which had not cleared, the person told me I could put a stop on it (for 15.00) and release it 2 days later (when I knew I had a large auto deposit going in). I felt confident, that for 15.00 I had taken care of the issue. The next day, the payment went through anyways... Now I am chasing this check which has not cleared yet, but most likely will with insufficient funds.

So after waiting on the phone this A.M for 37 minutes total, after waiting for a "supervisor", I am informed that the 15.00 will be waived, they can do nothing about the stop payment (?). The customer service person should have told me that rarely do stop payments actually work, and that he put the stop on the wrong account name anyway. (Which amazes me considering I read the exact name to him from my previous statement) The "supervisor" commented that he should be re-trained. So, my lesson learned, these guys, do not have their act together, and I will never recommend ALLY to anyone!!!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

ALLY WILL NOT HONOR "CASH BONUS" though stipulations were followed. In October 2018, Ally offered a 1% cash bonus for a new or existing eligible Ally Bank account. The stipulations were advertised as follows: 1. Sign up by 10/21/18, 2. Fund by 10/31/18, 3. Maintain Funds until 1/15/19, and 4. Get Cash Bonus by 2/15/19. I have written verification from Ally demonstrating that all these stipulations were followed. Additionally, Ally mandated that, 1. The email address used to enroll: ** must match the email address on the Ally Bank account you deposit funds into, 2. Move money to a new or existing eligible Ally Bank account (Online Savings, Money Market, Interest Checking or CD account) by 10/31/2018, 3. Cash bonus applies to new external funds added to an eligible Ally Bank account, not your total balance, and 4. Minimum cash bonus is $10 ($1,000 deposit) maximum is $1,000 ($100,000 deposit).

No other stipulations were detailed in the invitation email, nor was there a link to any other fine print beyond these requirements included in that invitation email. My NEW online savings account was opened on or before 10/19/18 using email **, funds were added to that account from an EXTERNAL account in the amount of $135,000 on 10/30/18, funds remained in that account, unchanged, until 2/22/19. Ally has not and will not pay the full 1% promised citing that "I was a former customer as I once held an Ally CD."

The email invitation and the requirements made NO Mention of Ally's consideration of closed Ally accounts. In fact, at the time of the funding of the new account, I could not be considered an Ally customer as I had no open account with any balance. Ally representatives, by phone, could not explain how I failed to meet the qualifications as described in the 10/18 email invitation to participate in this promotion. Ally simply refuses to honor the agreement, though the customer clearly followed ALL requirements described AT THE TIME OF ENROLLMENT IN THIS PROGRAM.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I'll try and explain this in very simple terms (like I had to do with their customer service because nobody understands what you're saying and just answers with things that have nothing to do with your original question?). Our auto payments are set up for the 11th of every month. We paid January 11th, all was well. Then, they pulled money AGAIN on January 18th - an UNAUTHORIZED payment - so this obviously put us into the negative because we were not expecting this money to be pulled again until February 11th (our next auto pay date). Instead of just reversing the payment, they "sent us a check" that should have been here in "7-10 days"... What's the point?? Obviously our account was negative because you pulled money when you shouldn't have and so we need money now??

Totally messed up our January and February bills and guess what... Today is 2/21 and we have STILL NOT RECEIVED THE CHECK. So we had to pull money out of our ** to make the February 11th payment!! It's so ridiculous and I have recorded every conversation with every person and gotten their Employee ID# (I would recommend) because they all give different answers and just seem to be SO shady. I will be taking this a step further (legally) if it does not get resolved. Awful company, very unclear and disorganized. I will be refinancing soon.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I can't recommend a bank that puts you on hold for 20 minutes- or when they make the mistake of initiating a transfer from my other bank for $300,000 when I entered $3000. Very disappointed because I wanted this to work. I guess this is how they pay high interest rates- no service when you need it.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ally Bank?

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Stay as far away as you can from this company! I paid my car loan in full 21 days ago... with a CASHIER'S CHECK from a reputable National Bank!!! They still have not refunded me my overage. It does not take two weeks for a cashier's check to clear. No one speaks English there, and if they do you can barely understand them. If you value your own money, don't count on getting it back from them! Stay away from this fraud of a company!!!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Can hardly understand anyone speaking that works there. Have not FedEx title so I can register car on PA. PA requires that the title come from financing agency and not the owner of vehicle. PA will only accept title from owner if car is paid off. Seems like little tasks are insurmountable in dealing with this company.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

Terrific company to work with for both savings and stock trading. Great APY, fantastic app, reliable customer service. Their APY started competitive and just keeps getting better. Their cost per trade and sign up promotions were great, but their app is what clinches the deal. Forward looking company - recommended.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

Made the mistake of choosing Ally Invest to trade securities with. After trading with them for few months, I made another routine deposit from my bank, and waited until the funds cleared for trading. I made a trade and the next day I open my account and noticed about 50 shares of another security was missing. I called Ally and they said they sold the 50 shares on my behalf to cover the trade from the day before. Their explanation was that the funds never cleared despite my having written proof that the funds cleared. They also never sent out a notification email that I had a deposit issue and would need to settle it with another source of funds, which I would gladly do and which any ethical trading platform does before they go ahead and offload shares of another company without my knowledge.

These thieves had the nerve to also charge me commission on the trade that THEY performed without my authority and knowledge. And then when I went to transfer my securities from Ally to another investment platform, they charged me for this. They are violating their own terms and conditions and when you call their customer service line to figure things out, they are rude and condescending. Now I'm stuck paying taxes on my short term investment, their commission, and their transfer fees. Had I known they were unethical thieves I would have stayed far away. Heed my mistake, never do business with these criminals.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I recently opened an account with Ally and transferred money in, after waiting the three business days to transfer the money in I attempted to place my first order where I received an error message telling me to call customer service. After calling customer service I was told I was unable to place the order I wanted due to the value of the stock. I immediately requested that they withdraw my money or close my account, I was told that neither would be possible and that I would have to wait another six business days prior to getting my money back. After spending well over an hour speaking to "managers" about this I was told to cancel the funds coming from my bank account, unfortunately the funds had already been withdrawn which made this impossible. I am still fighting with them via chat and they are currently refusing to discuss anything with me.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I finance a car from here. Was a 2007 Nissan Altima. I had a wreck on the car. I wasn't at fault. My insurance paid portion of it and GAP Insurance paid the rest of it. The next two weeks I received another bill and it said I had to pay 284 something dollars. I told them GAP insurance paid off the rest of the car. The representative was being a ** saying it's going to collections since it's not paid.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

In short - this bank takes advantage of people with less than great credit scores, robs them of money with insane interest rates, worst customer service and do not care about their customers only the money they get from them. If I hadn't been a young naive 22 year old when offered this finance loan for my car, I would have NEVER even thought twice about using this company. They are out to ruin people who are in tough positions instead of reaching out to them for assistance in times of desperation.

I cannot believe these loans with these insane high interest rates and hidden agendas are even legal. Biggest mistake of my life but please don't learn this lesson the hard way like I did and RUN as far as you can from ALLY. I wish I had thought of looking at these reviews beforehand because clearly everyone echoes my feelings in that this is the worst company I have ever been associated with. I will be paying the rest of my loan off tomorrow and leaving this company forever!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

This has got to be the worst bank in history, I have $800k various CDs and then I tried to send funds to the Ally Invest and the Ally Bank lost $25k of the money... It's been weeks and they don't even seem apologetic. DON'T BE A FOOL - GO TO ANOTHER BANK!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2019

Never sent title when paid off. When I called for it they said they sent it but could not confirm where or when. Gave wrong info on how to obtain from title office. Title office said they never received it but they commonly have problems with Ally. Horrible support and negligent with important documents.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I contacted Ally Financial about being behind on payments as my wife just had kidney surgery and foot amputation as was told to make 1 payment in the morning and I could defer other payments so I said ok. Have conversation recorded between myself and Ally rep Resee. And that night they came and repo vehicle before I got chance to make payment. And now being told they will not honor deal made that they want $3000.00. This is no way to treat customers as no one can control if people fall ill to medical reasons.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I paid cash to pay my car off and have it sold and can not get my lien release. Will never use them again. Still waiting. If you pay money out of your checking account it’s not considered cash. Even though your loan is paid in full and the money is out of your account. They will not give you a lien release. When they do fax it it’s 48 hrs to fax it. Never again.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

I was underwater in my last car and had no many issues with it. I had no choice but to trade it in for a base model Durango. Because I was so underwater and had to add an extended warranty, I had no choice but to sign a new car loan with a high interest rate. I’ve owned several cars and was always able to refinance for a lower rate. After a year of on time payments I contacted Ally to refinance, only to be told that I am locked in to the rate which was agreed upon when I originally signed. I will be wasting thousands and thousands of dollars on an 8.5% interest rate. I find it interesting that Ally has a new marketing ploy, telling consumers they should use Ally because other banks charge high interest rates and take your money.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

Terrible experience with the lease return process of my Jeep Grand Cherokee. I’ve leased two Grand Cherokees. And was prepared to lease a third - but Ally botched the deal/timing by dragging their feet. I ended up leasing an Acura MDX with Honda Finance, and it’s been 100% better.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

I leased my car through Ally in 2016. When I first started making payments, they enrolled me in auto pay WITHOUT me knowing and would take my car payment out of my bank account TWICE and never put it towards my car payment, causing me to fall behind and racking up nasty overdraft fees through 5/3 (who I bank through). It took weeks to get them to fix this mistake. I faxed my bank statements to them, per their request and called them EVERY SINGLE DAY until they fixed this. It took weeks and countless hours of being put on hold and being told it was 5/3's fault and that I should have called them. Autopay was never set up with 5/3, so how is that their fault?

Anyways they said they would waive my late fees, lo and behold they never did. I ended up owing over $800 in late fees, that should have been waived. Then came the phone calls. Every day, every twenty minutes. They would call me and my dad. Next thing I know, they called my grandfather (mom's dad) who had absolutely NOTHING to do with the car. I have no idea how they even got his phone number. They started harassing him as well as me and my dad. The second week of December, they came to repossess my car due to nonpayment of late fees and being a month behind in payments. I called to see how much I needed to pay to get the car back. They were unable to tell me, so I called the redemption department every day until it was three days after the car being picked up.

Finally, they told me what I needed to pay to be brought back up to current. The only thing they didn't mention, was they had already sent my car to auction. They sent it two days after it was picked up to sell it. So I call after making the payment to have the release paperwork sent to the auction lot but turns out the redemption department had changed their number, and hadn't updated it anywhere. I spent almost an hour on the phone to get the paperwork sent, thankfully they did just that, after telling them 10+ times that I needed the paperwork to be sent to the auction lot since they had received my payment.

This is my first car that I have bought myself and made payments for and they have made my life a living hell. I will never finance or bank through them again, and I tell everyone I know to stay away from them. Their customer service is garbage, and they will never give you a straight answer to your question, always a runaround. Also I should add, they would call me from a blocked number and every voicemail I received from every number they called from was just static. They are awful, and I wish my dad and I had done our research when we got the car. I would have found a different dealership that didn't finance through Ally.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

Leased a Jeep through Ally bank. I cannot get the payoff amount from them. They say to contact the dealer. The dealer says to contact Ally. It is one big runaround. Plus they don't pre inspect your car for you. I would NEVER deal with this bank again.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

Paid 2600.00 for a car warranty that doesn't cover anything. I have had to replace parts that should not have gone bad in a car that is only 3 years old. They are not helpful or useful. Waste of money. Horrible company. Doesn't stand behind its product. Useless.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

After paying on time for two years, I too had a life-threatening heart condition that totally stopped life as I knew it. We kept in contact with Ally on a daily basis. They call you at least 20 times a day 8am to 9pm like clockwork. I made an arranged payment on December 4th, and the next payment was to be made before Christmas day the 25th. I made a quick trip to the local grocery store on today December 20th, and upon return my truck was gone. Ally lied to me and repossessed my truck before the next payment had to be made.

I have never been harassed over the phone by any company like Ally in my 55 years on this planet. I will NEVER DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY AGAIN! If Ally does not do anything to help me resolve this matter and, get my truck back quickly, this will be the first of many blogs ripping them and trying to divert potential customers from getting involved with Ally Financial. If your finance person offers Ally Financial as a funding source for your new auto, do not sign the contract, use a different lender! Read the thousands of complaints on Ally. Please do not get in the situation that they have put me in because of a life-threatening illness. I WILL NEVER DEAL WITH THEM AGAIN!

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

I had Ally for a gap coverage insurance policy. Not only did it take three and a half months to process, but they refused to cover nearly $1,000 of the balance and incorrectly claimed that this was offset by a tire and wheel package that I had purchased from the dealership. I asked to speak to someone in management but she was just as clueless and unhelpful as the rep. Go elsewhere and don’t waste your time. Customer service is non-existent and the whole process is a bigger headache than it’s worth.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

Thank goodness I became aware of the mountain of customer complaints about Ally Bank, so I can at least be prepared for more of their non-sense as I wind down the auto lease I now have with Ally Bank, after just experiencing their awful customer service! I have been an excellent customer having made every payment timely and always about 2 weeks early, with only two more payments remaining, but even so, Ally customer service reps are no help at all with my questions about end of lease options and actually, Ally service reps have been downright arrogant when I ask any questions at all about my lease-end-options and refuse to give me any information about my lease-end options until the lease “matures” or in other words, they won’t discuss my lease-end options (Buy the Vehicle, Extend the Lease or just return the vehicle) until my final payment has been received.

What is hilarious, is that Ally Bank just sent me a notice to contact them with any questions I may have about my lease end options under the guise of helping me plan for the end of my lease, so I followed their instructions by calling them. Believe me, I have excellent credit and have never been late on any payments, but Ally Bank even abuses their best customers, so just imagine trying to deal with Ally Bank if you have any problems as so many people do and as the mountain of other complaints posted on-line about Ally Bank serve as evidence.

It’s hard to imagine why Ally Bank treats their existing customers so poorly while also expecting to attract new business at the same time, much less any repeat business -lol. Fortunately, at least I now know what to expect from Ally Bank, which is pure resistance, so my plans will certainly not include any lease extension, because the sooner I escape any relationship at all with Ally Bank, the happier I will be.

Without any help from Ally Bank at all, I therefore have made my own lease termination plans, which will include returning the vehicle at lease-end, but also paying for an independent inspection of the vehicle too since I know from the other complaints I’ve read, that I can’t trust Ally Bank with anything and then in the worst case scenario if any disputes arise after I fulfill my obligations, I’ll just be prepared to seek a resolution through small claims court if need be, since I’ve at least learned that resolving anything with Ally Bank is like trying to break through a brick wall. On a final note, those poor marketing folks at Ally Bank who are trying to attract new business, must have no idea that their own customer service department is their own worst enemy!

Original review: Dec. 13, 2018

Leased my Maserati for 36 months which was financed by Ally Bank. Returned to dealership 1.5 months ahead as I have reached the mileage allocated. Two weeks passed, called and was told by Ally they had not received info from dealership. Two weeks later was told they have completed inspection by 3rd party and need to wait. Another week (now 5 weeks) when I called to ask about the $800 security deposit, was told I had to wait “until car is auctioned off”. That is the alarm bell and fury went off.

There is no clause in the lease agreement on this condition, was never told at signing. Customer service person and manager cannot provide a counterpoint except repeating it is their policy. What if it takes weeks or months to sell the car, do the customer need to wait till then? The lease ended when I returned the car and was determined no wear & tear after the inspection. FYI — Mercedes, Acura, BMW do not require security deposit. Bottomline, do not take up a lease with Ally Bank!! As of this writing, I am still waiting for news of my deposit and after 4 times on the phone with Ally.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

So I have been banking with Ally since I was 17! I am now 21 years old. I have never had any issues with Ally until 2018. 2018 was the year of lies for Ally bank! So the first incident was someone hacked into my bank account and changed my login details. When dealing with this very serious issue with Ally they told me and I quote, "Because you have a similar username as other users when someone changed their password it reflected in your account." Tell me consumers, what bank allows multiple users to have the same username? Really! So obviously if this was the case Ally wasn't doing their due diligence. I told them that it was a hack per their own email correspondence to which they said that could not happen. REALLY! OKAY! LIARS! It came across as they have no idea what happened and are lying to cover their tracks.

Then! The two most recent incidents were both this week. The first one was they INCORRECTLY processed my bill I scheduled and it caused me to go into overdraft and owe their bill pay provider, Fiserv, money even though I have my account set up to decline anything that goes against my available balance. Per Reg E. After going back and forth with Ally, Fiserv, and the bill agency, we squashed the issue. Or so I thought. They then charged me a fee for their mistake which I fought and they would not refund the fee, but they would not even apologize to me.

So I tried to deposit money into my account via mobile deposit and they sent it back to me saying it wasn't properly endorsed to fix the endorsement and then resubmit the deposit. So I did. I IMMEDIATELY GOT A NOTICE FROM THEIR COMPLIANCE/BSA TEAM THAT I WAS SUSPECTED OF KITING AND WAS not allowed to deposit! Literally what! How am I to deposit into an online bank if I can't mobile deposit when you told me to fix my deposit and are now saying I am kiting.

I work for a bank, I would never in a million years do something illegal related to banking especially since I've been in the industry for a while now and know how banking works and what regulations are what. If I was going to do something illegal I would make it worth it. DUH! Anyways, after going round and round with Ally and STILL NO APOLOGY from them I closed all three of my accounts that I've had for 4 years now. They have really dropped the ball this year and I urge anyone to beware of their lies and trickery.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

Updated on 12/05/18: After receiving the title release from Ally Bank after several phone calls I finally got satisfaction. When you call Ally you will get an overseas operator, tell that operator you want an American operator (Ally rep). After much confusion on their part I received by email a title release form plus I asked for a hard copy which was FedEx'd to me. I took the release to DMV and they said that now Ally had notified them of my payoff and released all interest in my vehicle. So if you are promised a vehicle title in the mail do not wait more than 10 days, call your DMV ask if your vehicle is released and if not call an Ally American operator and tell them you want the release form by email, hard copy and also notification to your DMV. Good luck all. Never again.

Original Review: I paid my vehicle off 11/15/2018. Ally verbally told me on phone plus message on their website that I would be receiving my title after 10 to 15 days. On 12/3/2018 I called, spoke to American operator, said that they had sent release to Washington DMV so I called DMV and they told me that Ally was still the lien holder so I called back in short order and asked them why the person lied to me about this. So this person Susan said she was typing up a release form to email to me plus I told her I wanted a hard copy of this Notarized letter in which she said was to be FedExed at that time along with an email on Ally's website which she did. So I then email that letter which was in PDF to myself so I can save it on my own file. This release letter is supposed to show by tomorrow. I just called DMV again and they said to bring this hardcopy letter in which sounded a bit sketchy to them and after that I will update this... pretty sketchy to say the least.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

First off, these are predatory loans, most at interest rates in excess of 20%. You will pay for your car twice, and be upside down on the vehicle the entire term. After 3 years my bank refinanced the loan and sent a check to Ally. After two weeks it was not posted to my account, so they stopped the check and sent a new one. Two weeks later, nothing posted. I called to find out what was going on. Was told they hold checks up to 10 business days while they determine if it's the correct payoff amount. The interest charges kept accruing during this period. Then they reported to credit bureau that I missed my payment that month, while they were sitting on the payoff check.

Original review: Nov. 27, 2018

My experience with Ally right now this very moment it is 6:39. Still want them hung up with them about 6:37. Very angry and very distraught. Bothered 2 facing when will I feel not so bothered? By the end of the night I can come soon. I was two months payments behind with Ally Finance. I was in August and September late coming month of September. I go to pay August in the middle of September so I came out to steal. So check comes I try to make that payment but I did not succeed successfully with that so September's was not met. So what's going into October? They're already sending me mail stating that I need to catch up. I wasn't trying to hide from them whatsoever. I was keeping contact with him very often. I do not want my car to get repossessed. I have made a payment arrangement and then follow through with that so they sent me out a nasty note stating that my car is due.

Look for repossession at a certain date if I don't pay at least one payment by a certain date and time or get caught up all together. Like I said I paid my payment for the month of September and October and so at that point in time I got caught up by being without 2 months behind me and that I was only a month behind going into November. Not November yet so all I need to do they wanted to make a payment arrangement with me on the 20th of October. Okay I just follow through with that signed agreement. I did not sign it when you send it to me in the mail. Okay so I waited till the 3rd of November to pay both bills. Those payments which is October payment November. 480 insults I get caught up your nephew from there. No more I'm good to go. I was in the bank that day on the 3rd on Friday still going out of town so I can feel good when I drive out of town.

My vehicle okay. They're Liars that's all I have to say. I made my payment Faithfully on the 3rd of November. Caught up going to start fresh December 6th all over again cynically realize that they say that they couldn't get ahold of me my phone is disconnected which is totally false. They're liars and talking in their own money and use it in their own way for the holidays for the whole family so don't kids to try to take some other people like me to the Edwards soon as I can help you out with him not for liars. They're sick. They're fraud. Virginity like you okay extremely was the one who I dealt with it to get to Ally Financial Group with you're going to be with me tomorrow.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

So first things first, when you have a vehicle financed with Ally Bank you will get phone calls. Obscene amounts of phone calls from random numbers. They will harass you multiple times a day until you set up your online account. During which you are forced to set online bill pay, which is auto pay. So the problem with this is if you ever decide to make a payment early or from a different account prior to the auto payment they will still collect the automatic payment. The customer service is horrible and sometimes impossible to get ahold of. You're lucky if you get someone who remotely speaks English and they are less than helpful.

Ally Bank Company Information