Formerly GMAC

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.14/5

Unsubscribe at any time.

Ally Bank Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ally Bank?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ally Bank?

Original review: Aug. 31, 2020

I have been paying for my car for over 6 years. We are in the middle of a pandemic and as they well know, people have lost their jobs. They denied me an extension when I only have a few payments left to pay on my car. The fact that they would deny help to a long paying customer in the middle of a pandemic is astounding to me. I would not recommend anyone finance a car through Ally Auto.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2020

I paid off my loan on August 7th with a cashier's check. Ally confirmed receipt of the payment, and told me they mailed the lien release on the same day. I told them the dealership where I traded vehicles needed a lien release right away, so they told me they would FAX a lien release to the dealership on August 12th. On August 13th, I called them and said the FAX was not received. They said they would FAX it again that afternoon. On August 17th, I told them I had not received the mailed lien release. They told me I should receive the mailed lien release by 8-28-20.

On August 22nd, I called them and let them know the FAX still had not been received. The agent said she would send the request to another department and they would FAX the lien release in 1 to 2 days. On August 26th, the Faxed lien release still had not arrived. I called Ally and they said the FAX request was currently being processed and I should receive it by 4:00 p.m. the same day. On August 27th, the FAX still had not been received. I called Ally, and they told me they needed another 1 to 2 days to process yet another FAX request. I asked to speak to someone in the Consumer Relations Department.

They told me that either on the 27th or 28th, I would be able to obtain the lien release on their website. On the 28th, I called Ally’s Consumer Relations Department again. They told me I needed to wait another 1 to 2 days before I could access the lien release. In the meantime, the mailed original still has not arrived. Every time I speak to them, they tell me they must send my request to another department, and it will take another 1 to 2 days for the request to be processed. Over and over again, I have done this, to no avail. Here I am, three weeks after paying off my loan with a cashier’s check, and still no lien release.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2020

Before paying off our auto loan, we contacted Ally to ensure we have everything in line to quickly receive a lien release and to obtain our title as we were selling said vehicle. We spoke to them on 8/2 and paid off the loan the following day. Their website says "It could take up to 4 days to process your title/lien release if you paid with certified funds like a cashier’s check or money order. For other forms of payment, it may take up to 10 days to process." They took out the final payment on 8/3 and posted it 8/5, so clearly no further verification was needed at that point. We followed up on 8/6 as to the status of our lien release and were told we have to wait the full 10 days for our funds to be verified (even though they had been removed from our account and posted the day prior). We requested that the lien release letter be emailed to us as soon as available and continued to wait.

I followed up again on 8/17 after no updates and was then told I would get this lien release on 8/19. 8/19 came and we still had not received this letter, so my husband then called and was told that the lien release was mailed to the State and they were printing and mailing the title to us. 8/20 we received the lien release, but as we were told it was already sent to the State and in fact the title was already placed in the mail - we decided to wait for its delivery. 8/28 contacted the State and found out that not only was our title not in the mail, but that ally had never contacted them and they still showed a lien on our vehicle. We are taking matters into our own hands at this point and working with the State to release our title. I don't know what Ally has to gain by holding us hostage in this process, but it has been a headache.

THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE. This is a 36 year old company (and still not accredited, what does that tell you?). The fact that my loan has been paid off for 23 days and they have yet to have contact the State to release their lien is very concerning, especially given the amount of contact we've had with them this past month. Also unacceptable is the amount of times we've been bold faced lied to about the status of every step in this process. We won't ever use this company again and will warn all others against it as well. We were only introduced to this company as they were the loan servicing agent which the dealership used when we purchased this vehicle. I will be contacting that dealership to suggest they find another loan servicing company, like TD Auto Finance whom I've had great customer service with in the past. Their company is only 15 years old and hold accreditation.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2020

We started our auto load with Ally in 2014. Not too many issues. Seemed pretty easy to deal with. Until we paid it off in May of 2020. I called and spoke to someone and got the exact payoff amount. I was told at that time since Covid they were working on a “skeleton crew” and getting the title may take longer than normal. So imagine my surprise when a repo truck shows up to get it.

I called Ally with the tow company there. Give them the VIN and SSN and surprise surprise no acct can be found. Well I would hope not since “WE PAID IT OFF”. So at the recommendation of the repo company I call and ask for the collateral dept and again give the VIN and SSN. Again I was told they have no orders for repo for this vehicle. However I am staring at the driver in the face. So long story short we had to let them take it since they had orders for it, so we are left holding the bag and playing catch up on proving this cuz at this point all I have is my word and my acct showing a payment in May. I will always research a company from this point on before signing on the dotted line.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2020

Disgusting what they do to people. Ally is absolutely disgusting what they do to people and how they treat people. I traded in my car in February rolled over the payment into my new car. Spent hours upon hours on the phone trying to figure out why every month I was showing a late payment. They keep asking me if I wanted to pay for instead of showing late payment. The car was traded in and rolled over payment!!!

Finally stated they took care of the issue today I get a bill in the mail for $3000 late payments not having insurance on it late fees. Why would I have insurance on a car I traded in in February? Why do I still owe payments in August when the lease was up in April? When I called them they told me just wait for the collection agency to call because now I’m in collections. Absolutely disgusting human beings to deal with. Rude. Unprofessional. The guy laughed when I told him I was gonna put a complaining and told me his boss didn’t have time for me. I’ve never in my life been so disgusted!!

Original review: Aug. 25, 2020

We leased a vehicle from Roseville Dodge and went through Ally. Never had any issues with them until the lease was up during the COVID pandemic. Dealership wasn't accepting any lease returns and said if we dropped it off they weren't responsible for any damage. We notified Ally and they said OK and to keep them informed. For 3 months we tried to return vehicle as it just sat in our garage. Next thing I know my credit score drops 100 points because Ally said that we were over 90 days past due on payments because we hadn't returned the car. Dealership even stated they weren't accepting returns at the time. Ally refused to change the bad mark on my report. Now I have heard they've done this to other people. BEWARE OF THIS COMPANY!!!

Original review: Aug. 24, 2020

Hello everyone want to review this financial company, if you can go with someone else.. Since the outbreak of Covid I had an extension done, I was told for 120 days, next thing I know I had a payment due within 20 days of having an extension... So that went away, the extension.. Now when you miss a payment be ready to be harassed every day until you make a payment and get a letter in the mail saying your car will be towed. Also I’m expecting to have a baby as well and I’m on maternity leave unpaid, we’re already at our witts end with bills and they can’t seem to understand what I’m going through, imagine that. I can’t even get another extension for some reason, they never explain why.. So please if you're doing your research do not go with Ally..

Original review: Aug. 22, 2020

My experience with Ally bank has been fine up until the point where I paid off my vehicle. I have always used electronic fund transfers to make my car loan payment. When I decided to pay off my car loan I use the same process Electronic Funds Transfer, as you know this is the quickest way to pay off any company. After making my final payment I contacted Ally bank to inquire when I would receive my title. I was told that I needed to wait a period of 10 days for the funds to clear the bank. I advised the representative I had paid via electronic fund transfer and the funds had already been removed from my account and transferred to their account so there was no need for a waiting period. Nevertheless it did take the entire 10 days before they released the title to be mailed to me.

I paid this car loan off on July 28 and did not receive confirmation via email until August 11 that my title was in the mail. In the email it stated that my title would be delivered to me via USPS and would take seven business days. Today is August 22 and I still do not have my title. I contacted Ally Bank and spoke to the representative and now was told that it would take 10 business days and I should have the title on Tuesday, August 25. I warn anybody who needs a title within a reasonable amount of time not to use this bank. There is no reason why it should take a month to receive a vehicle title after the final payment is made.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2020

Car was paid off in March of 2019, title was requested multiple times and never sent. Now in a situation where car has been totaled by uninsured motorist and my insurance will not pay out without proof of the loan being paid off. Ally assured me they would fax the lien release within 1-2 business days, we are now on day 5 and I am still getting the run around and being told it will be faxed prior to end of day, and then another hour, and then another day. I have NO VEHICLE now and am due to go into labor soon. Do not waste your time with this company. Once you pay them your loan amount you will never see your title or lien release. Have spent hours on the phone with them this week asking for my release and they still have not sent.

Original review: Aug. 20, 2020

When I started with Ally, the savings account interest rate was 2.20%. THAT IS GREAT! But about six months later... It is 0.08%. That's about a 60% drop in interest. Believe me, DO NOT use Ally Bank.

Ally Bank Company Information