3.51/5

Formerly GMAC

982 Ally Bank Consumer Reviews

Original review: March 29, 2019

I have been with Ally for over three years. I make my payments on time, for the full amount or over the amount, every single month. In February, my credit card was stolen and I canceled the account. I thought I had updated my payment information for all online bills but forgot Ally. That was my mistake. However, I received no calls, no emails, no one telling me my payment was declined. I keep very good budget records and rarely check my bank account (I know what's coming and going and assumed the payment had been taken out of the account).

Payment was due February 12th. On March 8th I received a call that my car was out for repossession unless I paid Ally $200 by the end of the business day. Panicked, I tried giving them my credit card or bank account. No, I had to go to a Walmart and make a certified payment. (Why Walmart? I have no idea. The operator instructed me to go to Walmart to do this). So I left work in the middle of the day to make that payment. I then made additional payments after the repossession was "called off" and got caught up on what was owed- even overpaying by $98.79.

It is now March 29th and I am still getting harassing calls on my cell phone as well as at my work. They offered me a 60-day extension on my loan. I stated repeatedly that I do not need an extension - I can pay my bill just fine every month, but they processed the extension anyway. I still received a call this morning stating I owed $852.17 by the end of business day today and how would I like to pay that. Considering my monthly payment of $352 was already paid AND I'm caught up on my missed payment as well as additional fees (totaling $804.21) in March alone, I was livid.

I pulled up my online account and no, I do not owe anything. This company harasses their customers and lies about what is owed. Had I not been so on top of my budget and finances, I would have panicked and paid them whatever they asked, just out of fear of repossession. Will be paying off this loan immediately so as not to allow them any more of my money through interest and fees. Absolutely terrible - do not recommend for a loan of any kind. And always keep your own records.

Original review: March 22, 2019

I had an automobile loan through Ally Financial. The automobile was totaled. Right from that point the nightmare began. It took them three weeks to find the payment from the insurance company to pay off the car. Then they sent me a letter saying that the car was paid for. 20 days later they sent me another letter saying that they had made a mistake and had applied Gap coverage to my account that did not belong to me.

They then called my account in arrears and within days hit my credit report. I immediately called the company upon receiving their letter and spoke to about 10 different people. I finally got one woman to figure out what the mistake was and no one at all knew what the mistake was. It is now one month later and I am in a dispute with this company to clear my credit and my co buyers credit.

Original review: March 22, 2019

I returned my leased RAM 1500 to the dealership on 01/31/2019 and leased another (through Ally as well, unfortunately). The truck was in perfect condition when returned with no noticeable scratches. Three weeks later, I got a letter form Ally requesting $283 for an alleged scratch on the side of the truck. I called them to investigate, and I found that the inspection was done on 02/15/2019, i.e. more than 2 weeks after I returned the car.

I informed them that this scratch did not happen while I had the car and I offered to give them a picture of the truck taken just prior to returning it, but they didn't care. They also threatened to report my lease loan as in default on my credit report in case I don't pay promptly (although the lease loan was paid in full, so I am not sure how legal is that). The customer service was extremely rude and unprofessional. Ally is definitely a third degree bank, or even worth, that is not worth anybody's respect. I don't recommend it to anybody.

Original review: March 22, 2019

Very poor service. Called 5 times regarding a gap insurance refund and received 5 different answers and they have no clue and very hard to understand. They have a written speech and won’t let you talk to a supervisor. Poor excuse for a company. Go elsewhere.

Original review: March 22, 2019

I opened a online savings account in 2017. Said to give 1.5% to this day. They tell me I only have $2.83 in interest on my $1000. Because they closed my account without telling me because I didn't send them my driver's license and home bill. No emails to me to say they closed my account. So I called them and said I want to get my money back and end this account. I sent them the information they requested online, email to their fraud department which they said they received and now to wait for a phone call Monday from a person named Tara. The fraud department said it takes 24 hours to process this, I'm still waiting, it's going on 2 weeks. I will post more info. After the phone call they say they will give me on this Monday 3/25/2019.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ally Bank?

Original review: March 21, 2019

I tried to use their Zelle payment to send money to a contractor. I already used it many times without problem. However, this time it triggers fraudulent prevention and I was told to call their customer service. So I called them and first talked to a customer representative who told me I need talk to their fraudulent prevention department because my account was in restricted hold status. He transferred my call and that's where nightmare started. Now I already waited more than one hour and am still waiting. This is the longest waiting time in my 50 years life except those calls to some government offices.

Original review: March 21, 2019

This is truly a POS company. If you aren't a dealer you get zero respect from rude people. Then despite flawless credit, a net worth of 1M+, we waited 3 weeks, wasted numerous phone calls to be constantly treated rudely. We were turned down for 50 grand loan to close out a primo unit from one of their existing clients. I had to open our credit freeze 2 times and they still couldn't manage to get it done in a timely manner. SOUTHEAST FINANCIAL, out of Nashville, was nothing but a pleasure to deal with. Everyone was polite, we were approved in 2 business days. All details were professionally handled and we were "in the loop" at all times. Not sure why anyone would want to do business with ALLY!!!

Original review: March 20, 2019

I had a loan with Ally in 2017. I traded in my car and the loan was paid off. I received a letter stating that my loan was paid in full. Two years later they sent me a letter that I have a balance and are calling me non-stop. After several hours of being on the phone they said they should not have sent me the letter with the confirmation of pay-off and have now reported the balance past due to the credit agencies. This is not my fault that they made this mistake and should correct it on their side. I've been transferred around and their customer service reps get upset when I explain the situation. I have now hired an attorney to deal with their negligence! Never again Ally!

Original review: March 19, 2019

OK, so I tried to set up a new Savings Account at Ally to accompany my existing money market savings. I was unable to set it up online. After numerous attempts I called customer service and waited and waited and waited on-hold. In the meantime, my email inquiry about setting up the account went unanswered from March 11 to March 19. In the meanwhile, I received automated calls from Ally about why I rated them poorly in their online survey. Mind you - just robocalls and an automated message, no real person called. Finally in disgust with their unconcern for a long time customer, I have started to move my money elsewhere. Just sign me - Vern

Original review: March 19, 2019

What can I say about Ally... They do everything on their own timeline, "Want a lien release?", "oh that will take months", "Oh you have to do it within 15 days" "sorry we don't care". Incompetent, hasn't done anything in a timely manner or actually correctly, minus taking my money that is.

Original review: March 19, 2019

They are the most incompetent bunch ever, 3-5 days processing time will turn to 7-10 days, then they will act like they have no idea what you are talking about... What transaction? They keep their call center in the Philippines and that's another story altogether. The people over there cannot comprehend basic requests and just give you rehearsed lines. When you ask for the back office, you will be told they do not accept calls. It's a SHAM operation these guys are running... Stay clear.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I am nearing the end of my 3 year Jeep Grand Cherokee lease. I called them to set up an inspection date and time. They told me that they don't do it that way any longer. I am supposed to take it to the dealer, drop it off, the dealer sends in an odometer statement verifying the miles, then Ally send out an inspector, and then if there is any excess wear and tear they send me an invoice. At this point it's now my word against theirs. This should be illegal. I did send a complaint form to the Minnesota Attorney generals office as well! This is ridiculous. And, when you call their customer service department, you cannot understand ANYTHING that they say. I must have asked them to repeat EVERYTHING that they said 2-3 times before I could understand them! I am glad that I am going to be done with them soon. Never Again!!!

Original review: March 15, 2019

I am on my second loan with Ally and while the first was rather unremarkable, this second is frustrating enough that I am doing everything in my power to get the vehicle paid off or refinanced so that I do not have to work with Ally again. Below are some of my concerns: Most often when I have required the assistance of customer support, I have been placed on the phone with an individual who can barely speak English. The conversation occurs with plenty of instances of asking for repetition or many apologies from the other end of the line. In the instance that I have been even one day over the due date on my car payment, I receive a harassing call wanting to set up a payment plan to ensure that they are getting their money.

Today, my bank had a glitch which caused three car payments go out at once. I managed to cancel one of the car payments but the other two were pulled, $1850 out of my check. I remained calm, called my bank, called the bill pay company they contract through, and ended up having to call Ally. This is not the first time this has occurred, however the last time Ally took three payments from my account. When I asked for the money to be refunded to my account they obliged. Today the gentleman lied to me and stated that they can not do direct refunds, but instead have to provide refunds in the form of a check which will not be here for another 10 days. Over the 8 years I have had loans through Ally, I have become increasingly displeased. I will never obtain a car loan through their company again and I strongly discourage others from considering them either.

Original review: March 15, 2019

You bank with Ally at your own peril. They will screw you over when you need them most. Just don't do it!!! They are such a huge disappointment is amazing how a bank flops so bad. Just don't do it. Anywhere than Ally. We sent a check to clear our auto debt last week only to be told today they received it but haven't processed it. Why is this a big deal? We need that check to have cleared by today to be able to close on our new home on Wednesday. Because of this incompetent and useless bank we may not be able to close and we are going to be hit with a fine. To make matters worse when I called, I was told their verification system isn't working right now so they will have to call me back in a couple of days to verify my account then we can proceed. No! I do not recommend this bank because I am going to close even my savings accounts with them.

Original review: March 14, 2019

Terrible experience. They are out to screw you. Like they love to screw me. Late by a few days in during a slow time at work. They reported way more late payments than true. Took 6 months to fight. Go to anyone but Ally.

Original review: March 14, 2019

Ally charges $4.95 trading fees, the same as Schwab and Fidelity, but Ally's trading platform never works. Ally's customer service is the worst. Ally frequently does not even respond to questions. There is NO reason to invest with Ally.

Original review: March 7, 2019

I was pushed into using this company by the car dealership who said that if I took the loan and made payments on time for 8 months to a year I could refinance for a lower interest rate. I called Ally to refinance after that amount of time and was told they do not refinance, I was stuck with original rates. I have been making payments for 2 years. I fell behind recently due to job loss. I talked to Ally and they said if I paid the equivalent of 2 payments that they would not repossess. We arranged a payment date. I called back to make the payment and they refused to take it. They now want the entire delinquent amount including every fee they could think of to add to it and they are trying to repossess.

Original review: March 4, 2019

I had a car loAn with Ally Bank. In March 2018 my car was totaled. Fortunately I had Gap insurance. In August I received a Bill of approximately $1200. I talked to a man. I forgot to get his name. He gave me a settlement price of about $90 cheaper if I paid by September 17. Which I did. In January I receive a threatening Bill of $96 saying they would report me to the credit bureau. A month later I receive a letter. Now my Bill is about $160. WHY? Also saying they will repossess my car. That is funny since the car was totaled. It just shows they didn't look into it. It is very frustrating. We have another car loan with Ally. I wish I could refinance with someone else. I don't feel I owe them a dime.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

Last July, I got online as I have for the last 5 years and made my auto payment. For some reason, it did not show up as paid. I never got an email, phone call or any other kind of notice saying it was late or unpaid. In August, I got online on my regular date to make my August payment and made it. No where did it say I had a late or missing payment from July. Then in September I received a notice from Credit Karma that Ally was showing I had missed a payment in July. I immediately got online and made both my July payment and September payment, not understanding why my July payment was missing. I called immediately and got absolutely no help from their Chinese or otherwise based staff that are always impossible to communicate with due to the language barriers.

Ally Bank is now showing that I missed 2 payments, but for August and September, and it is absolutely clear I am missing NONE looking at THEIR payments made on their website. I have called and called and nothing is ever done to take this off my credit reports. I am trying to obtain a new mortgage and this is harming my credit score significantly, yet nothing is ever done. I do not recommend this bank!

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I called customer service to explain that I was unsure of having enough balance to cover a check which has not cleared yet. I also had a auto pay which had not cleared, the person told me I could put a stop on it (for 15.00) and release it 2 days later (when I knew I had a large auto deposit going in). I felt confident, that for 15.00 I had taken care of the issue. The next day, the payment went through anyways... Now I am chasing this check which has not cleared yet, but most likely will with insufficient funds.

So after waiting on the phone this A.M for 37 minutes total, after waiting for a "supervisor", I am informed that the 15.00 will be waived, they can do nothing about the stop payment (?). The customer service person should have told me that rarely do stop payments actually work, and that he put the stop on the wrong account name anyway. (Which amazes me considering I read the exact name to him from my previous statement) The "supervisor" commented that he should be re-trained. So, my lesson learned, these guys, do not have their act together, and I will never recommend ALLY to anyone!!!

Original review: Feb. 22, 2019

ALLY WILL NOT HONOR "CASH BONUS" though stipulations were followed. In October 2018, Ally offered a 1% cash bonus for a new or existing eligible Ally Bank account. The stipulations were advertised as follows: 1. Sign up by 10/21/18, 2. Fund by 10/31/18, 3. Maintain Funds until 1/15/19, and 4. Get Cash Bonus by 2/15/19. I have written verification from Ally demonstrating that all these stipulations were followed. Additionally, Ally mandated that, 1. The email address used to enroll: ** must match the email address on the Ally Bank account you deposit funds into, 2. Move money to a new or existing eligible Ally Bank account (Online Savings, Money Market, Interest Checking or CD account) by 10/31/2018, 3. Cash bonus applies to new external funds added to an eligible Ally Bank account, not your total balance, and 4. Minimum cash bonus is $10 ($1,000 deposit) maximum is $1,000 ($100,000 deposit).

No other stipulations were detailed in the invitation email, nor was there a link to any other fine print beyond these requirements included in that invitation email. My NEW online savings account was opened on or before 10/19/18 using email **, funds were added to that account from an EXTERNAL account in the amount of $135,000 on 10/30/18, funds remained in that account, unchanged, until 2/22/19. Ally has not and will not pay the full 1% promised citing that "I was a former customer as I once held an Ally CD."

The email invitation and the requirements made NO Mention of Ally's consideration of closed Ally accounts. In fact, at the time of the funding of the new account, I could not be considered an Ally customer as I had no open account with any balance. Ally representatives, by phone, could not explain how I failed to meet the qualifications as described in the 10/18 email invitation to participate in this promotion. Ally simply refuses to honor the agreement, though the customer clearly followed ALL requirements described AT THE TIME OF ENROLLMENT IN THIS PROGRAM.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2019

I'll try and explain this in very simple terms (like I had to do with their customer service because nobody understands what you're saying and just answers with things that have nothing to do with your original question?). Our auto payments are set up for the 11th of every month. We paid January 11th, all was well. Then, they pulled money AGAIN on January 18th - an UNAUTHORIZED payment - so this obviously put us into the negative because we were not expecting this money to be pulled again until February 11th (our next auto pay date). Instead of just reversing the payment, they "sent us a check" that should have been here in "7-10 days"... What's the point?? Obviously our account was negative because you pulled money when you shouldn't have and so we need money now??

Totally messed up our January and February bills and guess what... Today is 2/21 and we have STILL NOT RECEIVED THE CHECK. So we had to pull money out of our ** to make the February 11th payment!! It's so ridiculous and I have recorded every conversation with every person and gotten their Employee ID# (I would recommend) because they all give different answers and just seem to be SO shady. I will be taking this a step further (legally) if it does not get resolved. Awful company, very unclear and disorganized. I will be refinancing soon.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2019

I can't recommend a bank that puts you on hold for 20 minutes- or when they make the mistake of initiating a transfer from my other bank for $300,000 when I entered $3000. Very disappointed because I wanted this to work. I guess this is how they pay high interest rates- no service when you need it.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Stay as far away as you can from this company! I paid my car loan in full 21 days ago... with a CASHIER'S CHECK from a reputable National Bank!!! They still have not refunded me my overage. It does not take two weeks for a cashier's check to clear. No one speaks English there, and if they do you can barely understand them. If you value your own money, don't count on getting it back from them! Stay away from this fraud of a company!!!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

Can hardly understand anyone speaking that works there. Have not FedEx title so I can register car on PA. PA requires that the title come from financing agency and not the owner of vehicle. PA will only accept title from owner if car is paid off. Seems like little tasks are insurmountable in dealing with this company.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2019

Terrific company to work with for both savings and stock trading. Great APY, fantastic app, reliable customer service. Their APY started competitive and just keeps getting better. Their cost per trade and sign up promotions were great, but their app is what clinches the deal. Forward looking company - recommended.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

Made the mistake of choosing Ally Invest to trade securities with. After trading with them for few months, I made another routine deposit from my bank, and waited until the funds cleared for trading. I made a trade and the next day I open my account and noticed about 50 shares of another security was missing. I called Ally and they said they sold the 50 shares on my behalf to cover the trade from the day before. Their explanation was that the funds never cleared despite my having written proof that the funds cleared. They also never sent out a notification email that I had a deposit issue and would need to settle it with another source of funds, which I would gladly do and which any ethical trading platform does before they go ahead and offload shares of another company without my knowledge.

These thieves had the nerve to also charge me commission on the trade that THEY performed without my authority and knowledge. And then when I went to transfer my securities from Ally to another investment platform, they charged me for this. They are violating their own terms and conditions and when you call their customer service line to figure things out, they are rude and condescending. Now I'm stuck paying taxes on my short term investment, their commission, and their transfer fees. Had I known they were unethical thieves I would have stayed far away. Heed my mistake, never do business with these criminals.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2019

I recently opened an account with Ally and transferred money in, after waiting the three business days to transfer the money in I attempted to place my first order where I received an error message telling me to call customer service. After calling customer service I was told I was unable to place the order I wanted due to the value of the stock. I immediately requested that they withdraw my money or close my account, I was told that neither would be possible and that I would have to wait another six business days prior to getting my money back. After spending well over an hour speaking to "managers" about this I was told to cancel the funds coming from my bank account, unfortunately the funds had already been withdrawn which made this impossible. I am still fighting with them via chat and they are currently refusing to discuss anything with me.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

I finance a car from here. Was a 2007 Nissan Altima. I had a wreck on the car. I wasn't at fault. My insurance paid portion of it and GAP Insurance paid the rest of it. The next two weeks I received another bill and it said I had to pay 284 something dollars. I told them GAP insurance paid off the rest of the car. The representative was being a ** saying it's going to collections since it's not paid.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2019

In short - this bank takes advantage of people with less than great credit scores, robs them of money with insane interest rates, worst customer service and do not care about their customers only the money they get from them. If I hadn't been a young naive 22 year old when offered this finance loan for my car, I would have NEVER even thought twice about using this company. They are out to ruin people who are in tough positions instead of reaching out to them for assistance in times of desperation.

I cannot believe these loans with these insane high interest rates and hidden agendas are even legal. Biggest mistake of my life but please don't learn this lesson the hard way like I did and RUN as far as you can from ALLY. I wish I had thought of looking at these reviews beforehand because clearly everyone echoes my feelings in that this is the worst company I have ever been associated with. I will be paying the rest of my loan off tomorrow and leaving this company forever!

Ally Bank Company Information