2.25/5

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Formerly GMAC

Looking for a mortgage lender?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

Ally Bank Reviews

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

I bought a car through Ally Financial 1.5 years ago. I had a co-signer that passed away shortly after purchase and they had put his name on the title but not mine. I finally sell the car around a month ago and pay it off. I was told that the title would be sent in my name and would you believe it? I get the title in the other guy’s name. How can I be paying on a car that’s not titled in my name? Clearly illegal.

Then I call the customer service line at least a dozen times and get different responses each time about what to do, each person giving false information to get me off the phone. Finally I get the true story from one of the customer service guys. He indicated I should have been alerted of what I needed to do to change the title to just my name and the company never did so. Now I have someone who bought my car, and I have a title in some other person’s name with no clean way of changing it, as DMV won’t accept my lien letter and title in that person’s name to be able to switch it over.

So to summarize: Ally 1) didn’t include me on the title but did on the contract so I can pay them but not own the car once I’ve paid it. Clearly illegal. 2) Lied to me about what to do to fix said situation after multiple mistakes, and kept Fed Ex’ing me documents to have me figure it out in attempt to cover up their illegal activity, with the hope I would figure it out and leave them alone. 3) Then finally admit their illegal activity, and then tell me there’s nothing they can do, leaving me essentially screwed.

I’ve had bad customer service before, but this one takes the cake. I will be destroying them legally over this, good luck to them, as I have documented every conversation and every person I spoke with, specifically the false information I was given all the times I called. As a doctor, there are four key elements that get us sued successfully: 1) duty to someone, 2) breach of duty, 3) injury caused by breach, 4) resulting damages. Not only does this company fulfill all requirements but they tried to cover up wrongdoing, just the nail in the coffin.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2019

Will be the first and last time using Ally Financial. Worse experience ever. At first they are very nice getting loan and making the payments. But once your loan is going thru a totalled loss and insurance is making investigation and makes them payment they come out with late fees and finance charges on top of once loan is pay off. Worse customer service ever and can never get a correct answer from their associates on the phone. I been in the dealer business for 20 yrs plus and have never deal with anything like this. Would not recommend ally financial to anyone. Trained your employees to have all the correct info in computers for customers to get correct information and not changing every time calling.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
      Original review: Nov. 16, 2019

I have a savings account. I needed money to pay a bill. It said I would have it by Wed. A week later it's Saturday and I haven't seen it. I go to the app and it says bank not available. I think this bank is a scam.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2019

I just bought a new truck from a dealership and they ran it through Ally Financial. I had to register my checking account with them on-line to make my payment without being charged a fee of $3.45 So I did. Only to discover this month I was double charged for my truck payment after making it on Nov 8th. They debited my account again on Nov 13th saying it was set up on auto-pay. I have never used auto pay in 50 yrs of being on this earth!!! They had no reply for why they took the second payment after receiving the first one Nov 8th, other than "it was auto pay!" Worse yet it wasn't applied to my principal. It was added as a credit for future payment! CROOKED!!

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

I unfortunately accepted a car loan at the dealership with Ally financial and this is absolutely the worst company I have dealt with in 25 years of car loans. In 3 months I've paid extra every time. When you pay extra it's supposed to go towards the principal (Total amount owed) and not saved as a credit for future payments. However after paying close to $2,000 in 3 months and seeing my principal only decrease $900, but my paycheck saying that I owe $0 for at least 2 months coming up I quickly figured out their scam. Crediting the extra money towards future payments allows them to charge a interest rate on a principal balance higher than it should be. Whereas if they applied my overpayment towards the principal balance it would decrease it and they wouldn't get as much money from a interest rate on a lower balance.

I called their customer service who tried to speak to me like I was a novice and then I spoke to a supervisor who again tried speaking to me in the same manner until I explained my history with car loans, home loans, credit cards as well as the fact that I had experience previously working in the financial industry, before switching to law. I then requested the payoff amount, because I will be having another lender take over my loan. I would never recommend the crooks at ally financial. If you are looking for a reputable lender who will treat you right go through chase. I've never had a problem with chase and that's who I'll be having take over my loan.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ally Bank?

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

This company is horrible. Trash would be an understatement. They allocated my payments to wrong thing and showed as late payment. How can you have a late payment with auto pay? No one at the company speak proper English or understands when I explain an issue! I’ve been getting the runaround with no solution to my problem. But yet they send me a text about a late payment.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2019

I have had an auto loan with Ally for 3 years. I had heard horrible things about them but never had a bad experience until now. In August I had to split up my payment. I ended up paying the second half 8 days after my payment was due and was charged a late fee. When I paid the remaining balance, it included the $7.88 late charge. The page stated I was being charged the additional fee. When I looked at my statement this month, preparing to pay my monthly loan payment, it stated that I owed a late fee of $7.88.

I contacted customer service and was told that yes, I paid the late fee in August, but I did not call them and tell them to allocate the extra money to the late fee, even though the payment page showed that I was being charged the late fee in my payment. They further agreed with me that nowhere on their page does it state that one has to call in to have the late fee that you are being charged with, allocated towards that late fee. I was told that I should have known that I needed to call to do this, even when the payment screen shows me paying the late fee. I am currently in the process of finding another company to refinance my loan with. I will not be dealing with this company ever again.

Original review: Oct. 27, 2019

I called in to get an extension due to switching jobs. I was told that was fine. When I told them I didnt get paid till the 18th and my payment was due on the 16th they stated that it wouldn't be a problem. I broke my payments up (due to switching jobs) and was to pay 127 on oct 16th and 284 on nov 16th. They have marked my payment as late and now say I have to pay it in full. The customer service is awful and I hate calling in. I'm looking at other companies to refinance to just get away from them.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2019

I WILL NEVER FINANCE WITH THEM AGAIN. I have been dealing with them for 3 years. The customer service is AWFUL. In recent events I have had to call customer service several time about late fees on my account. I know that I have 10 days before a late fee is applied to my account. Within the 10 days grace period they will harass you to the point that you don't want to answer your phone. So when I finally do answer it's always a Foreigner sticking to script. I explain to the customer service rep what I already know.

So now to the late fees. The customer service rep always says what the amount due, I ask is that including late fee, the reply is yes that the amount due is with the late fee. That's is a lie. I submit payment when I tell them I going to submit it. Then I have to call and tell them that part of my payment is for late fee, they apply the whole amount due to the principal. Why do I have to call to correct this, I still don't know. So now I have late fees. I have called several times and have been told a bunch of crap and that it will be handled. As of me typing that they still have not been handled. Every time I call I get the same bs about the late fees being handled. CUSTOMER SERVICE SUCKS.

Original review: Oct. 24, 2019

I made the mistake of applying for a mortgage with these bozos. After repeated requests for things that had nothing to do with the loan application, verifying that I was correct and then asking again for the information that they agreed wasn't necessary. I was asked to explain their pulls of my credit file, the transactions of my 401K which wasn't being used at all for the mortgage, copies of a cancelled bank check which you don't get back DUH. Jumping through hoop after hoop because the people who are reviewing the loan application are only following the computer requests and never reviewing any of the materials they demand.

The last straw with these clowns was coming to work and being told that during the evening hours, they had faxed my personal and confidential information to a fax machine that I had never given them the number for or authorization to communicate with. I inform all of the people that I had dealt with that I was withdrawing my application due to complete violation of my confidentiality. I instructed them to Cease all communications. Did that stop them? NO. The moron who sent my personal information giving the entire company and who knows else my salary, my social security number and details about the home I was trying to purchase had the nerve to call my comptroller and try and verify my information. Good thing I had already informed everyone that this company was not to get any information from them about me again.

I did receive a "sorry we are looking into this" email but TOO late. You already did major damage that a simple sorry can not fix. So if you don't mind BS and risking identity theft or like having to jump through hoop after hoop trying to answer the same things over and over then go ahead and deal with these morons but you have been warned.

Ally Bank Company Information