4.0/5 (241 ratings)

About Cohen's Fashion Optical

Cohen's Fashion Optical Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cohen's Fashion Optical?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cohen's Fashion Optical?

Original review: May 11, 2021

I hate the fact that my optical insurance is only accepted at Cohen’s fashion optical. I have been to the Patchogue store 6 times over the last year. The staff especially the optician are rude. My Daughter 13 year old needed new glasses for distance. We were talked into progressives as they will help her see the board in school. I also ordered a regular pair of distance only glasses for her. I was told that if the progressives didn’t work out I can return them and they would put single vision lenses in them. They neglected to mention paying more money. With my insurance I spent $500 on both pairs. The progressives made her dizzy and gave her headaches. When I tried to return them after a week I was told I would have to pay for new lenses. We left with a useless pair of glasses as I refused to pay more.

A month later her regular pair started to come apart and bend. The optician refused to fix them and tried to get me to buy a new pair. I then took out the progressives and asked him to switch the lenses (same frame different color). He swore they would not fit and again tried to sell another frame. I went to Visionworks (where we went for years) and they switched them for free as they remembered us. I just went today to get mine adjusted and again this rude optician refused and claimed I needed to buy new frames. I just bought these in January and they didn’t even last 6 months. Run from this store as I will be canceling my insurance and never go back there again.

Original review: March 31, 2021

I had an eye exam done by Dr ** and she totally screwed it up. With her prescription I ordered glasses but could not wear them, I felt faint and everything was spinning even after a week of trying to get used to them. So I took the prescription, my old and new glasses to a different eye dr to find out that the prescription is all wrong. Now I am faced with a double expense of ordering new replacement glasses and paying double. Laura ** promised to take care of the situation but 2 weeks later she is not even replying to my emails. This company is a total fraud!

Get buying tips about Glasses Online delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2021

Maybe couple of years back Cohen's Opticals, Stamford, CT was so good and staff is so helpful too. But nowadays I am not happy with their service. I was offered an appointment for 4pm on that day to have my exam. I arrived 15 minutes early but waited almost 2 hours past the appointment time to be seen for the exam. On top that, the eye doctor is just sanitizing the surfaces he is using and touching, however I didn't seen him cleaning/wiping the other side of the equipment where patients sits and put our face for eye testing. At least he didn't gave me a wipe to clean up myself.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2020

I opted to utilize Cohen's Fashion Optical in Jensen Beach, FL based upon price point. I was looking for an exam and replacement of progressive polycarbonate lenses in my frames. A complete pair of progressive frames and lenses including the exam was advertised at $60.00. It was a bait and switch. My exam and lenses cost $170.00. I was offered an appointment for 3pm the following day to have my exam. I arrived 15 minutes early but waited 90 minutes past the appointment time to be seen for the exam. I had to wait another 30 minutes after that to be told that the lenses would be ordered immediately and that when they arrived I could expect to deliver my frames and wait approximately 2 hours for the new lenses to be cut.

Yesterday I received a call stating that the lenses had arrived. I was given the hours and days that the work could be performed. I was also told to expect a one hour wait time to have the new lenses fitted to my frames. Today I arrived at opening to have the work completed. I had to wait 15 minutes just to hand my glasses to the employee. That employee informed me that there would be a three hour wait. Three hours later I did receive my glasses and they are performing as expected.

Overall this was a terrible experience. There was minimal seating and the facility was overcrowded making social distancing impossible. The staff was overall very nice and accommodating however there was one middle aged man with a crew cut who was gruff and very unpleasant. It was obvious that he wanted to be anywhere but at work and was not shy about taking it out on the customers. Their system of managing the flow of the work seemed to be adequate. The volume of staffing was completely inadequate to keep up with the system.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2020

I rate them a 1 star in customer service. This Cohen's ended up charging me because they failed to check my insurance. They erroneously told me my insurance would reimburse me "not to worry". Adding insult to injury when I found out my insurance does not reimburse, they refused to work with my insurance and offer a refund so the Insurance could pay. Also, initially they seemed careful in allowing customers in, later I could barely keep my 6ft distance from other customers.

Original review: May 20, 2020

Nice doctor and staff. Pretty frames. ZERO quality. Their glasses are the worst quality I ever had; from the beginning the little screws often came off, the temples had to be put in shape all the time, and finally one temple broke off. When I took them back Cohen's said their glasses had no warranty and suggested I must have sat on them because the unbroken temple was crooked. They proposed that I buy the same frame again. I feel ripped off. The "made in China" $5 emergency glasses I bought four months ago are still in shape. Cohen's glasses are a 50 cents value.

Original review: March 13, 2020

The first reason to avoid Shirley Cohen's is that they allow customers to wear their frames for 6 months or more than allow them to bring them back. They then put Plano lenses in them and sell them as new. Also all of their frames are discontinued. And they sell them as current for a lot of money. I have been suffering with headaches and my doctor couldn’t figure out why. I just found out that my headaches are because Keith, the Owner, made my glasses and put my my right eye prescription in my left lens and my left eye prescription in my right lens. And if that is not reason enough to stay away from Cohens and Shirley, how about the fact that they have microphones all over their store and are listening and recording everything you say without your permission! I reiterate do not go to Cohens and surely you will be sorry!

Original review: March 13, 2020

I purchase eye glasses (consider health care service) from this store. They scam me by saying they will give me $100 off from their glasses frame in the store. The frame is $399 with $100 off is $299. A day later I found out that glasses frame is normally sell in another store for $49-$59. I went back and ask Cohen's to return but they said they can only give me a store credit. They probably use this trick to so many consumers. I want to get a refund but they refuse. I think I have right to defend myself from being take advantage from the store. I would like to report this illegal crime that Cohen's Fashion Optical selling overprice health car service and reject to refund the consumer when the good/services not as expected.

The address of this branch is 117 Orchard St. New York, NY 10002 P:(212)674-1986 cfo001@cohensfashionoptical.com. I read so many complain and bad reviews about consumer who got robbed like me on many website. As a consumer I think we should do something to stop this scam from well known company. It is so shame that they think nobody can do anything because they are a big company.

Original review: March 11, 2020

Went to Cohen's Optical at 200 Baychester Ave 111 Bronx NY 10475. They sold me Tom Ford eyeglasses for 1,100.00. The same day I found same frame online for 795.00. I called them and told them will be cancelling my order if they dont adjust the price. The sales rep was evasive then just said manager gone for the day. I should call back, they have no refund. Exchange only policy so I'm not sure I will get any resolution in this situation but I would never do business with them again and will make sure I discourage anyone that mentions using them. I'm giving them 1 star only 'cause I can't select 0.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2020

I went to Cohen Optical to get my glasses. I was sold $600.00 reading which they claimed would be with contacts another 150.00. The glasses did not work with the contacts. I called explained to their sales person who I would leave a nameless. He is the main salesperson. He is rude. He promised if I come in they would fix my glasses with a small up charge for the lenses to correct them. When I went in they wanted to charge charge me to refit my frames. My head hasn’t grown and my eyes haven’t changed. Another $65 before I even pay for the upgrade on the lenses. I’m very disappointed. I used my insurance and now I can’t see. So I’d have to wait another year before I can use it again. And the Raiders aren’t even strong enough to read. I have to use cheap readers.

I can’t tell you how disappointed and how awful this place is. He told me last week, "Come in. It’s no problem and I’ll fix everything no problem." When I came in today he was absolutely rude and told me too bad I have to pay a fee. I’m sorry but that’s not customers. That is the worst customer service I’ve ever experienced and I will never walk back into that place and I recommend everyone to shop around. They will overcharge you and they will not give you the service you deserve. We all spent a lot of money on our eyesight. And they took advantage. I have never been angry enough to write a bad review on anybody. But this place is awful and their sales person is the worst and their eye doctor is not so cool be there. He gave me the wrong prescription. So I give them zero stars. Don’t go there. They’re terrible. They make you give them one star automatically. But they’re below One star. They're zero.

Cohen's Fashion Optical author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Founded in 1927, while selling glasses out of a pushcart, Cohen's Fashion Optical now has more than 100 storefronts in seven different states and Puerto Rico.

• Designer discounts: Not only do they offer a large catalog of designer frames, they have great discounts specifically for these higher priced fashion accessories.

• 20 dollar eye exam: Don't pay hundreds for a simple eye exam at Cohen's Fashion Optical, since they offer exams for as little as 20 dollars to local customers.

• Frame plus lenses deals: Get a complete pair of branded glasses, frames and lenses for less than 100 dollars from a Cohen's Fashion Optical location.

• Multiple material selections: With seven different frame materials, including gold, buyers can find frames that are durable, flexible, hypoallergenic and fashion forward.

• Insurance and FSA options: Shoppers can use vision insurance to cut their out-of-pocket costs on glasses and/or turn to their FSA to make up the difference and pay with pre-tax dollars.

Cohen's Fashion Optical Company Information

1927
    100 Quentin Roosevelt Blvd.
    Garden City