Cohen's Fashion Optical

Compare Eyeglasses Online

Research top Eyeglasses Online recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I ordered glasses from this store on June 12, 2017, and was told they would be ready for me by Friday, June 16th. This was important to me, since I will be going out of town this week. Although I have always had a good experience in this particular store, 667 Lexington Ave, the person I usually deal with was on vacation. So the "boss" waited on me, interspersing our contact with several phone calls on his cell phone. He stated he would call me when the glasses were ready. Since I received no call, I went into the store today, Monday June 19th. A young woman looked through all the drawers but could not find them.

Finally, she looked in the original tray, and there were the frames with my prescription, but no work had been done on them. I then requested a refund of my $200 and said I would have to get them made where I was traveling to. The "boss" refused, saying they were just waiting for the lenses to come in. I did not believe that lenses had even been ordered, so I stated that I would dispute the charge with my credit card company, which I have done. Despite the convenience of this store to my apartment, I will not be using them again. It used to be a pretty crowded store, but now not so much. I think that the "boss" needs better supervision!

I saw a Groupon for Cohen's Fashion Optical that included an eye exam and $300 for an eye exam. Before I purchased the Groupon, I called the store and was told that designer eyeglasses varied in price from $100 to thousands of dollars. I asked if I would be able to buy something under $300 and was told yes. I bought the Groupon and made an appointment. When I got to the store, Cohen's refused to honor the Groupon saying that I would need to spend a minimum of $187 on top of the $300 credit on the Groupon. There was a sign at the door that said eyeglasses started at $99 but they said that was not available for Groupon users. This bait and switch tactics should be illegal. Be warned, don't do business with Cohen's Fashion Optical!!!

Saturday April 8, 2017 approximately 1:00 pm. At Smith Haven Mall NY. I went into Cohen's Fashion Optical in search of new eyeglass lenses and heard of their sale advertised on TV. I was approached by a salesperson Cara. She asked me if I had AARP or AAA. I said yes and she said that I would receive a 30% discount. I told her I was not feeling well she offered me a chair but I turned it down because the counter was so high and I would be embarrassed being the only person in this small store sitting, especially in the walkway.

I inquired about lenses and different qualities and their difference along with pricing but she became annoyed by my lack of understanding of her vague information. She was intimidating me as if I was stupid, I had to mention to her several times that I was a bit slow due to not feeling well. Nevertheless she was in a hurry and pushing me to make a decision by her public display and creating a scene of impatience to everyone in the small store about how stupid I was. I admit I was not feeling well I asked her to please have patience with me. I paid for the order because, like most people I just wanted the interrogation-like abuse to stop. Yes I was in a weak condition and she was determined to close the deal. I left the store thinking in my mind what just happened.

I sat outside the store in the mall lobby with my companion who witnessed the whole experience and had been by my side the whole time and we discussed what we had just went through. He asked me If I received the 30% discount. We looked over the receipt and it was not on the receipt she wrote up in front of me. It was a different newly written receipt (see attachment) one with no information but a total.

I immediately went back to the store and ask her for an itemized receipt of what I just purchased, preferably the one she just wrote up in front of me. With extreme drama and fuss, she made a photocopy and gave it to me but not without her intimidations, as if my request was so unreasonable and that something is terribly wrong with me in wanting to know what I just purchased and how much I was charged for each of the products on my receipt. But as it turns out she never even gave me the information I asked for (see receipt) and see if you can tell what products and what each product cost me? Where's the 30% discount?

Feeling even worse my companion drove us home. We were still stunned by the whole experience. I never want to go back in that store ever again or ever encounter Cara again. I don't trust Cohen Optical and I don't believe I will ever receive the real products I actually paid for, especially since I have no way of knowing what it is we agreed upon. Secondly I do not want to subject myself to the power struggle with these aggressive employees at time of pick-up and fitting at this point it would be more stress then I can handle. So I called the store as soon as they open 11 am on Sunday morning and canceled my order. That was when I was told there were no refunds but that she would take $100. Off of the total.

Here is a prime example of their manipulation of pricing. I just want to cancel my order and Cara then became abusive yelling at me to the point I had to ask her to stop yelling at me then she kept cutting me off when I tried to explain why I wanted to cancel my order but instead she kept yelling over me and by the sound of her voice she was holding the phone away from her ear and asking me if I was finished. Abusive, manipulative, mean and cruel, she was not going to let me out of her grip no matter what. This lead me to look up Consumer Affairs regarding Cohen's Optical and lo and behold so many others have had similar if not exact same experiences, especially regarding pricing and receiving incorrect products. I too will have to add my complaints and contact Better Business Bureau especially if I do not get my money back in a timely manner.

I never want to deal with Cohen's Optical again and I will alert all my friends and family about this corrupt company. I want my money back and I refused to accept being tricked by the company by them expediting this order just to clamp down this sale from being canceled. On Saturday April 8th, Cara told me the lenses won't be ready until Friday. Tuesday April 11, Cohen's Optical left a message on my cell saying the lenses were in. This company had a choice, they had plenty of time to stop the order, they did not have to produce these lenses, but as I said they expedited the order to justify their actions.

There is 24 hours in a day. I canceled my order within 24 hours. On a week-end no less. Saturday 1:00 pm to Sunday 11:00 am. I don't trust Cohen Optical Company to prioritize my wellness over their profits. I refuse to be bullied and coerce by them and their unscrupulous business practices. As I found out they are notorious for this behavior. Buyers beware.

This past January I had progressive lenses made at Cohen's at the Treasure Coast Mall in Jensen Beach Florida (I was on vacation and did not have enough time before departure to use my local and usual eyeglass vendor.). The lenses were distorted when done. I was told that this may happen due to the fact that individual differences can occur and result in redoing the lenses. I had to wait an additional 2 weeks for the redo. When asking to use my insurance I was told that the price when using insurance would be $180 (versus the $149 I was charged). This would mean, at the 20% coverage I would have to pay $160 so the $149 was better.

I am now home. I had my sunglass lenses redone at my local vendor. When asked about these problems I was told that Cohen's probably made the glasses incorrectly and not that individual differences apply. My vendor charges the same price regardless of using insurance or not. I would not recommend the Treasure Coast Mall Cohen's. I have used Cohen's locally and have had good results with this franchise.

Cohen's Fashion Optical's Customer Service Department has been supremely negligent with regards to my inquiries concerning the following - all of which I've tried to get them to respond to. I later learned, through internet searches, that some of what occurred with my purchase there are actual violations of consumer protection laws. I am not a lawyer, nor have I consulted one. But enough red flags went up that I am warning the public on this.

1) I did not receive a complete, itemized receipt at the time of my transaction. After my several attempts, I finally received one on January 16, 2017 - 8 weeks following my purchase which occurred on November 16, 2016. When I asked why they didn't give me one at time of purchase, they said they did not issue one "due to the extensive timing such procedures require."

2) They charged me and delivered to me a product that I did NOT order. At the time of my purchase of two eyeglasses, we discussed the possibility of adding a year's supply of eye contacts to my order. I was unsure, however, of what exactly I wanted at that time and, to help my decision, they sent me home with some tester contacts to try. It turns out they actually wrote the cost of those contacts on a separate charge slip, ordered them and charged me $696.80; this separate charge slip was not readily apparent during the time of my purchase - if it had, I would have been alerted to it and stopped the unwanted order.

Not 24 hours after I left their store, they mailed to my residence a big box of contacts; this delivery is what alerted me to the "mistaken" order. I sent them straight back, they accepted the box back and when I asked for a refund, they told me they have a firm policy and offered only store credit. Cohen's customer service rep. did not address the fact that they were ordered against my knowledge.

3) The store clerks led me to believe that they were processing a claim through my insurance but actually did not do so - this caused me to lose my frame benefits, a value of $150. These benefits only occur for me every two years. The very first thing I asked when I walked into their store was "Do you participate with VSP insurance?" When they assured me that they did, I further said, "Good, because I can't even start shopping if you are not a provider." I had no reason to believe they were not going to submit a claim, especially after they took my insurance card and took down my card's information.

It was not until weeks later that I learned from my insurance company that they never submitted a claim, thus costing me to lose my benefits. My insurance company called the store, as I could not get a response from them, and the store manager told my insurance company that the "special deal" they gave me nullified my right to submit a claim. NEVER was that "deal" discussed with me during the time of purchase.

4) Cohen's Fashion Optical charged me New York State sales tax on eyeglasses and contacts, which I later learned are products that should be exempt from NY sales tax. As detailed in number 2 above, they split the final amount onto two charge slips. When I finally received the complete receipts, I discovered that they indeed added 8.75% to each sub-total; 8.75% is the current rate of New York State sales tax. Again, unknown and unseen by me at the time of purchase, I discovered I was charged $133.03 sales tax on two pairs of prescription eyeglasses and $56.80 sales tax on the (unwanted) order of contacts...totaling $189.83 of sales tax paid for this purchase.

5) Unbeknownst to me, Cohen's ordered an expensive and unnecessary lens enhancement for one of the two pairs I purchased. This $299.00 "High Index Lens" enhancement was never discussed with me and I certainly never ordered it. In fact, I had never heard of it until I finally received that receipt 8 weeks later. I actually consulted two, separate opticians and, without telling them what occurred at Cohen's, I presented my prescription to them & told them what I told the clerk at Cohen's as far as what I needed from the lenses (which was single vision, polarized, unbreakable). Neither of the professionals recommended a High Index Lens enhancement. When I presented my prescription and pressed for possibly getting that expensive enhancement, both professionals stressed unequivocally that it was an unnecessary expense when considering my prescription and my needs.

6) Prices always changing. During the 8 weeks I pursued receiving a complete receipt, Cohen's gave much conflicting and incomplete information with regards to the services they provided and the costs of my purchased items. Naturally, this delayed my discovery of much of their deception and over-billing. One example of the always fluctuating prices charged was a red flag in the store that I wish I had heeded: While shopping, I picked up frames which had a tag reading "$299.00". When I decided later to purchase that pair, the sales clerk declared their cost to be "$399.00". I asked her to check the tag, she did and she apologized. Subsequent receipts listed their cost to me at $499.00.

7) The customer service is very, very bad about getting back to me. The first week and a half after my purchase, I attempted on several occasions to talk to the supervisor of the actual store but each time I called she had "just stepped out." I resorted to leaving phone messages at their 1-800 number - no one ever called me back. It was not until I left a poor review on Yelp that someone reached out to me. But their replies to my above concerns have been incomplete and unconscionably slow.

In fact, at the time of this writing, I am still waiting for their response to an email I sent which actually outlined all of the above - I wrote that email on February 3rd, 2017. After hearing nothing back, on February 14th, 2017, I reached out to confirm that they indeed got the email. They sent a short reply saying they were busy and working on it and would be getting back to me. As of this date, February 23rd, 2017, I have heard nothing...20 days with no reply.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Cohen's Fashion Optical?

On December 28, 2016, I called Cohen's to let them know that one of the arms of my glasses came off and I would like to know if they could fix them. I was told to bring them in, that they would let me know if they could be fixed. If not they would have to see if my insurance would cover a replacement pair. I told Nikki that I had already called my insurance, and that I am covered for replacements, if lost or broken etc. Nikki/Renee (manager) just glanced at my glasses and told me they can't be fixed, then Renee told me she was not going to give me the same frame. "You can't get those frames with your insurance." Renee went to the back, came back out and told me that my insurance said that I had to pick a different frame (all of which was a lie, because I called my insurance to report the manager and the way I was treated, my insurance told me that Renee didn't call them as she said).

I told Renee, that I was going to report her, to corporate, she said "Well good luck with that." Needless to say that I did report her to Chrissy **, in charge of complaints, etc, I even wrote a letter to the President/CEO, Robert Cohen, of Cohen's Fashion Optical, to no avail. Cohen's lied to my insurance and even faxed in a falsified copy showing that the frame that I had from the start was a (Jubilee Burgundy/Crystal frame) when the frame that I was offered from the start was a (Tiffany Burgundy/Crystal frame) of which I sent pictures of my original frame to my insurance to show the frame that I had, but to no avail.

As of today's date, I am still without glasses and suffering from headaches, as I need glasses for all of my daily doings, reading, watching tv, computer use, etc. I will take this matter to the media, as well as contacting a lawyer if need be. The only resolution I will accept, is Cohen's honoring the original frame that I was offered from the start (Tiffany Burgundy/Crystal Frame) as replacement, of which I was given the same replacement when I lost them, as should I receive the same frame, now that one of the arms came off, as well.

I co-paid 40 dollars for my eye exam from Cohen's Optical. I just got a bill from my health insurance. They charged my health insurance $805 dollars for an eye exam when I needed to get contacts. I owe $250.00 of that $805. The last time I went to Cohen's without insurance, they gave me the same service for FREE if I bought contacts from them. They are a bunch of CROOKS. This is insurance fraud. I was literally at the location for an hour and somehow they performed 8 tests?

I took my frames in looking to get new lenses put in. They charged an exorbitant amount, refused to give me a print out of what they were providing and when I cancelled the order less than 24 hours later, taking my frames back, they said they'd already ordered the lenses. They could not possibly have because my frames were still in the store and they needed my frames to fit the new lenses in. They were EXTREMELY belligerent and said they don't refund. They NEVER provided any signed documentation stating their policies, but they said they'd email my receipt. I STILL haven't received anything. This is a fraudulent company.

The prices overall are very very good and I highly recommend them to the consumer. Their prices are very very low compared to others on the market. The eyeglasses are exceptionally made and well designed for the consumer. They are of the highest quality and very affordable as well. Because they are so well designed the quality speaks for itself. The delivery time of my eyeglasses was quick within 24 hours. I was very pleased with the delivery time and the exceptional customer service that I got from the company. Very satisfied with the company itself. They have a wide variety of eyeglass wear for the consumer in many different shapes and models and colors. The quality is exceptional to anybody else on the market that I found and I highly recommend them.

I wear glasses and this place is wonderful! I wouldn't buy my glasses anywhere else! All the glasses are reasonably priced for any budget! Great customer care! The quality of the glasses is amazing! My glasses are lightweight yet sturdy. And fit great! I pick up my glasses I don't have them delivered. I have worn glasses most of my life. They have a great selection of glasses to choose from. I have a hard time choosing which glasses I want!

The staff has been wonderful and the quality of eyeglasses has been always up to standards in my eyes. All of my children use their services around the Manhattan areas. Keep up the great work and services. I received great customer service and had all my needs for an excellent pair of glasses solved. There were many options to choose from and I have no complaints. I was able to get two pairs of glasses for a reasonable price, from great employees.

I broke my glasses and there was no way to repair them. I walked into Cohen's and it couldn't have been better. Mel, the manager, was friendly, helpful and knowledgeable. And if you aren't sure what style would work - he has a good eye and offers great suggestions. They have a nice range of frames and they can create the glasses pretty quickly. Glad I went. Their service was fast, friendly and very fairly priced. I am very happy with their services and will happily return. Enthusiastically recommended.

I got some really nice glasses for a really fair price. I'm very happy with them. They also throw in lots of extras like lens cleaner, wipes, and cases. And they send me regular updates about when I need eye exams. Fantastic frames. I wear my glasses all day every day, so it's important to me that they look good and make a statement about who I am. They had a wide range of styles and brands and very reasonable prices. So I'm very happy with my choice. I can't say it's perfect because it wasn't out of the ordinary in any way, but ordering was simple and the package arrived on time, undamaged. Really really pleased with the selection they had. I never know what I want until I've tried on a million pairs and taken selfies with all of them, and then texted the selfies to friends to be sure. So it really takes a wide selection to make me happy and I was satisfied.

My insurance covered this cost. I am not sure of the actual price if you pay out of pocket. I only had a 20$ copay. Amazing customer service, quick and accurate. I was in and out in a breeze! Very sturdy and durable glasses. I am still wearing them as we speak no issues so far. I recommend giving them a try if your insurance covers it. You will not be disappointed! Many glasses to choose from, all kinds of various styles and shapes. Had what I needed in stock and I had many to choose from. I was able to have several options and ended up with multiple pair.

Was very well priced and the employees were very helpful as well as good at their jobs. Everyone was very kind and they all make sure that you are comfortable with your decisions and you're one hundred percent positive you know what you are doing. No lies or fibs. Great service. If you are looking for a place with professional employees who care, go here. They are awesome and they care how you feel throughout the entire experience and they want to make sure you have read over everything without any surprises.

The shipping and the delivery was very fast and was very affordable and they make sure that your package gets to you with the utmost amount of care so that you are happy with your product without the hassle of returns due to sloppy service. The variety of this place is very large and they have some pretty amazing and unique collections. Give it a try. I was very very satisfied with my treatment and my product and I'm sure all of you will be as well.

I bought a pair of designer frames that were only about 150$. The service was great and the frames were high quality very durable. I highly recommend them to everyone. I love them. They were pink and blues Michael Kors. They haven't scratched or broken. And I have dropped them many times and they still look like new. They were very fast and friendly. My glasses were ready in two days which considering they frames was very fast. They worked as fast as they could to get them done quickly. They had a huge variety of frames to choose from. Every color you can imagine and all types of frames and designer frames to choose from.

The glasses I purchased were fairly inexpensive. I received lots of help in deciding which pair I wanted, and my lenses were made in a very timely manner. Not only was the service expedient, but the quality of the frames was impeccable. The lenses were the correct prescription, and the frame was exactly the pair I ordered. My glasses, which I placed an order to receive, were delivered to me in a very timely fashion. I ordered them on a Thursday, and they arrived at the doctor's office by Saturday afternoon. The variety of available frames was very impressive. There must have been over one hundred different pairs on display, and it took me about thirty minutes to look through them and make a selection.

The price overall was alright. The quality of the product was great - overall no issues at all. They feel very durable and very well made. There's nothing wrong with them at all. They feel very durable and very well made. Shipping was great eh? I'd appreciate a little bit more variety.

I broke my glasses and I have to buy new ones. They were the ones that turn in the sun. But luckily for me they didn't cost a lot because they were on sale. When I bought them they barely turned in the sun like my old ones did. But they worked. When I got home the things the hold up the glasses up broke. I order it at the store. About a week before I left. I went home changed and went food shopping after that. The box was at my front door. It was very different from the rest but they did what I needed them to do. And they were just black with tinted glasses with borders around them.

If you want a quality pair of glasses at a great price this is the place to go. A wide selection to choose from all at a great price. Why look anywhere else? The quality is excellent. The fashion is on fleek, the price is outstanding, the people are great, the doctor is experienced. What more can be said? The delivery was on time in a very professional manner. They called me when my glasses were ready. They made sure I was satisfied before I left. The variety was great. A lot of styles and fashion and all the colors of the rainbow. Choosing was actually kind of difficult because they had so much to choose from.

It was reasonable to go there. Prices were cheap. Some were not. Typical of a glasses and contacts place. So what you would expect. I would say plan to spend 200 at least. The quality was good. You can use your prescription you get anywhere. The people were nice. I mean do what makes you happy or satisfied with your experience. Shipping was not included. It cost extra. So make sure you have enough for that on top of regular expenses. I love not paying for shipping. Perhaps they should do discount codes. The variety is good. They have a ton of glasses and frames. You can choose what kind you want which is always a plus I must say, if you like that.

Prices were very affordable. There were many great styles to choose from at great prices. I would recommend them for anyone looking for fashionable eyewear that doesn't break the bank. The highest quality products are offered here. The frames and lenses are durable and withstand everyday use very well. I have a great success in finding the right lenses at great quality. Shipping was fast and secure. Never once was there an issue in getting my order on time and safely. The shipping costs are very affordable and the quick shipping is useful when I need things quickly. Excellent variety. So much to choose from and so many affordable options. I have never had so much to choose from to find my ideal look.

People were very helpful. Had my exam at the place, frames were the style and color I wanted. Got glasses fast, cost was reasonably priced and the glasses looked good on me. Good fit, quality lenses bifocals. Frames and lenses are warrantied. They gave me the glasses. I paid for them. They fit fine, see good. They have thousands of frames to choose from. Go try one yourself!!!

I was satisfied with the price. I could have bought similar elsewhere for cheaper than I paid but I think it was more the experience than anything else mainly. The quality and price go hand in hand. I am a firm believer that you get what you pay for. I have durable frames and lenses with a warranty guarantee. Super fast delivery. Received within 3 days of order. Could've been 2 days but I wasn't home during delivery so I had to reschedule it. Many different options for you to choose from. For all lifestyles, climates, work style. Even hard to find colors they offer. If you are light on money they are still a good option for you.

They offered prices that were in my budget and I found it very helpful. They also had a very wide selection to choose from which was nice. From past experiences with other brands were not good but with this one it's a keeper. I was very satisfied with the quality and I totally recommend this to anyone who is looking for great quality. I had to wait an average waiting time because I didn't pick fast shipping which is not a problem to me. The great thing is that the shopping was very fast. I ordered on Monday and got it on Friday which is good in my book. They had a very nice selection to choose which is very good. I had a hard time choosing a pair which I don't get to experience with some brands.

The price is reasonable and my insurance covered half of the bill so it wasn't that bad. I actually thought I would have paid way more than I actually did. This brand is the top brand for this product. It is strong and it comes in various colors and styles to suit each individual person's sense of style. I was able to get my glasses the next day due to the fact that they had to send out for my prescription lenses. I thought it would have been a longer wait but a day is not that bad.

Price was a little too much but it was worth it. I got a great pair of glass at an ok price. They have last a good while too. I would buy from them again. The product quality is great. They have last a long time and I have not had a problem with them breaking, the frame or the glass. I am very very happy with them. The shipping and delivery was great. It did not take long for me to receive my package. Maybe took a week after ordering. Best to order on the weekend and that following week you should get it. The product variety was great. I had many options to choose from. I had a hard time to make a choice on which pair I wanted. I almost got more than one pair because I wanted so many.

Great employees. Wonderful and lots of different type of eye glass frames to choose from. Also has a great eye doctor. The prices were great. Lots of great frames on sale too. The eye glass frames are nice looking and are a great quality. Good for children knowing how rough they can be especially boys. I have a boy and he is very rough so this was a great store to go to. I never had them shipped to me but I want to in the future. By then I can see how their shipping is. If they do well I will do shipping more often. Great product. Not cheap, great quality.

The price was fair for the quality of the lenses and frames but there are higher quality options available as well for a higher cost if you want something better. The quality is not anything problematic but also isn't bad. For the price I think the quality is good and offers good value for your money. The delivery was quick, less than a week and the delivery cost was low as well. It would be nice to have faster options in case your glasses need to be replaced on short notice but that's not a big deal. They have a large variety of frames in different styles so anyone will be able to find something they like. Color selection is good too and includes muted colors as well as brighter options.

The price was fair, good compared to opticians locally. Price seemed higher for frames. Would buy again, it was a good value. Glasses can be very overpriced. The quality was good. Comparable to other gone glass retailers. Not exceptionally cheap but good. I like feeling like I'm getting a deal & not throwing my money away. Delivery was good, it was pretty quick to make them. They also notified be throughout the process so I knew when they would be fine. Nice quick shipping too. They had a great variety. Had lots to choose from in many styles and colors. I like that exceptionally well. Way better than a store that only has one color and few in stock.

I found that the price was very reasonable for the quality of the sunglasses that I received. I put off buying new glasses for a long time until now. I received quality name brand glasses that were custom fit to my prescription lenses. I am definitely satisfied with the purchase that I made. The delivery was very fast. It only took a couple of days and the contact lenses arrived in great shape. Very convenient. There were so many choices to choose from when looking at frames. Countless name brand, high-end designers, as well as cheaper frames to fit any budget.

Expert Review

ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Founded in 1927, while selling glasses out of a pushcart, Cohen's Fashion Optical now has more than 100 storefronts in seven different states and Puerto Rico.

• Designer discounts: Not only do they offer a large catalog of designer frames, they have great discounts specifically for these higher priced fashion accessories.
  • 20 dollar eye exam: Don't pay hundreds for a simple eye exam at Cohen's Fashion Optical, since they offer exams for as little as 20 dollars to local customers.
  • Frame plus lenses deals: Get a complete pair of branded glasses, frames and lenses for less than 100 dollars from a Cohen's Fashion Optical location.
  • Multiple material selections: With seven different frame materials, including gold, buyers can find frames that are durable, flexible, hypoallergenic and fashion forward.
  • Insurance and FSA options: Shoppers can use vision insurance to cut their out-of-pocket costs on glasses and/or turn to their FSA to make up the difference and pay with pre-tax dollars.
  • Best for Kids, Teens, Professionals and Contacts wearers.

Compare Eyeglasses Online

Cohen's Fashion Optical Company Profile

Cohen's Fashion Optical
1927
100 Quentin Roosevelt Blvd.
Garden City