CareerBuilder.com

Compare Job Sites

Research top Job Sites recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

A man named "Joe" called me on a recorded line yesterday identifying himself from College Network Job Search, loud, pushy, aggressive. He wanted "more" information regarding my job search. Told him not interested as I had never heard of the company. Today, Same guy "Joe" recognized voice, had same greeting, calling on recorded line from "Career Builder." I told him to email me. He hung up. Too many phony people out there claiming "they" want to help you, but need more information. I have been warned by the NYS Dept. Of Labor that there are many predatory phishing sites. Buyer Beware. Tell them nothing, too many identity thefts out there.

CareerBuilder is harassing me with e-mails. I have made many attempts to get these e-mails to stop. But to no avail. All requests through the e-mail system are returned as undeliverable. Many scams use CareerBuilder as a front. CareerBuilder should be shut down totally. Lies prevail there at CareerBuilder. CareerBuilder breaks the law; but just like most corporate structures there is little an individual can do. This is one reason for the rise of TRUMP. People are pissed, upset with corporate structures like Exxon oil, Monsanto, and SBC (now called AT&T) are many examples. I should be able to remove my data from CareerBuilder's database and have requested this many times, but the result is the same each time, no answer! ALL I REQUEST IS FOR THE E-MAILS TO STOP!

As of posting my resume on CareerBuilder, I've had the worst experience with finding a job. Here are a few of my issues: None of the jobs I receive alerts for are related to the keywords I entered in my job/career search. I've received numerous scam positions... about 20+ in the last 2 weeks... These positions start off with the typical "We received your resume. We offer a position for a guaranteed minimum of $2,500/month as long as you perform up to our standards. You will receive merchandise for you to review & ensure the receiver who you will forward the package to is getting what they ordered. Once you forward the package and it is received by the customer, you will get your paycheck."

LOTS of spelling errors are included in the emails & there is no company listed in the email. Most times there is no name of an employee who typed out the email. Usually it is signed with "Company Resource Department" or even "Human Resource Department" followed by "Our caller will contact you for an interview." DO NOT GIVE INTO THESE SCAMS. I have researched online and these types of "jobs" land you in federal prison or hefty jail time if you're one of the lucky ones to see our boys in blue show up at your door. The FBI gets involved & you become an accessory to a crime, aka aiding in sales through the black market.

I have reset my preferences on CareerBuilder so that only jobs/companies matching my keywords receive my resume. None of the research positions I've been offered have dealt with science. These are usually financial research positions for universities, etc. or music research positions at universities. Keep in mind that I had my preferences set to keywords including research, medical, laboratory, sciences, etc... which follows my career path. Thus far, CareerBuilder has shown me that they are a worthless scam/spam hub for people looking for reputable jobs in their field.

Not only this website is full of scammer but others like Indeed is full as well. I have applied for multiple jobs at both websites and never have gotten any email back from them. From now and then I will apply only at Company's website to make sure that at least they send you back whether or not you are selected or not. I believe indeed is better and looks more legit just by comparing the site content... but still I will use my method to apply for jobs. Good luck for everyone hunting for their dream job or career.

I'm an IT Engineer for almost two decades. Ever since I posted my resume on this job board I've been spammed with telemarketing and sales job offers from a thousand and one Farmers agents and some kind of scammers. This site should be shut down. It's so ridiculous.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Career Builder?

Just received a call from CareerBuilder to verify some of my basic information. Upon answering questions I was asked what year I graduated from high school and as soon as I said I graduated in 1974 I was told "have a nice day" and the man hung up on me before I could ask why. Well that's obvious. A person's age shouldn't matter. They should only know that I may be 60 but I'm healthy & active. Do not even look my age.

I am an American in a foreign country trying to get back to America. My name is Albert ** a retired Marine and Army Veteran using your site in getting back home. You have for the third time this year locked me out, this is the most I have had issues with your site in using this site since 2002. Your policies I have read and adjusted my submitting only to those jobs that directly would consider my past experience. The first time this happen I had password issues the second time was because I was working your site about 60 hours a week and submitting to any job that could use my ebarrier experience. The second time I was not able to use your site for almost three weeks, this added an extreme amount of stress to my life.

Can you PLEASE look at my account ** and take me out of the suspension bucket and reinstate my account? I am in my last month rent seeking homeless shelters, look at my google efforts yesterday seeking homeless shelter. WHY would you want to impact a human being utilizing your site to better themselves and impose this type of that directly affect my ability to LIVE AN HONEST LIFE. Last time I spend over 60 hours trying to reinstate my account and three weeks, are you even concerned about your suspension practices that impact the well-being of the human race? I respectfully wait for my reinstatement.

From the employer's perspective, I will never use this company again. I warn other companies to stay away. Back in March, I discovered that I had paid for 2 job postings and had intended to use only one. While posting my original job posting, the site asked if I wanted to boost the ad to surrounding areas. I indicated that I did (previously, this was a "free" upgrade). I then discovered that my other job posting that I had purchased was used for this "boost." I was advertising in Chandler and the job "boosted" to Phoenix (which are right next to each other). There's no way this should have incurred another job posting.

So, I called CareerBuilder and explained the situation. She said she used to live in this area and understands my position. She noted she was new to her position so she would have to research if she can authorize a return on the job posting that was inappropriately used. She noted she would call me back in a few days with an answer. She did call back and let me know that an additional job posting would be added to my account so I could use it in the future. I was to wait about 4 days and then confirm the product had been added to my account. I waited 3 weeks only to find that no product was added.

I called and left a message for Kristy. No answer for two days. I called again and was told that Kristy doesn't remember the conversation, isn't authorized to return product. I was speaking to Alex at this time and his "solution" was that I could buy an additional two ads for $780 and then he would tack on the 'free' ad for which I was already promised. He went on to say that because I purchased my ads online and didn't speak directly to a sales agent, we really didn't have a business connection. Otherwise, he could have added the free ad to my account. I noted that I have used CareerBuilder since I opened my business 9 years ago. At about $360 an ad, I've likely spent about $4000 with their company and if that doesn't constitute relationship, I will gladly give my money to someone else.

He was flippant and not genuinely interested in representing his company well. We ended the conversation with his promise that he would investigate the matter more and call me back today. No one is surprised that he hasn't called. I will spend a fair amount of time spreading the negative word about CareerBuilder and hope that others avoid this sham of a business as well.

I don't understand how all these companies posing as job placement agencies, are allowed to stay in business. They do absolutely nothing, but give my info to schools to further my education, even though I check "no". I, too, get opportunity to sell Avon. I'm pretty sure I can do that if I contact Avon myself. These job agencies are also in the want ads, and it appears you have to go through them for a job. I have wasted months with these fake companies.

DO NOT post your resume on CareerBuilder unless you really want to look at "Avon is Hiring" every day, and get hit up for truck-driving training and online schools. The worst is that all the scammers hit this site to send you scam and phishing emails. In the year I was on, I never once got a legitimate email, and I still get scam emails a full year after taking down my resume. I don't know why they're still finding it, but all these scam emails say they're getting my resume from CareerBuilder. In my opinion, this is the worst of the job sites.

An 'unknown page load error' prevents job seekers from uploading new resumes to CareerBuilder.com and displaying them to potential employers. Repeated email complaints... feedback complaints... problem still persists for weeks.

I created an account and posted my resume and info. Ever since then I have been receiving constant calls and emails for open positions located in Philadelphia, Atlanta, Texas, Kansas, Arizona, etc. I live in NY! All of my information on the site is correct. Also, I was precise when entering my career title and info in the search criteria and most of what I receive is anything but! Someone also tried to hack into my email account yesterday and I can't help but think this site has something to do with it. I am about to delete my profile. I think I will, it's useless, annoying and frustrating when you are trying to find a new job!

I had to quit posting on Career Builder. What I get when I post are a string of inappropriate job descriptions. The thing that is the worst however is Farmers Insurance. These guys send out request for my resume wanting to know if I want to open a Farmers Insurance office. I have been in a technical field for 20yrs, I stay busy all of the time. I need to post my resume so people see my professional history. I have no interest in changing careers and even if I did, it would not be to insurance sales. Farmers quit doing this... Career Builder quit letting them do it.

Worst experience with a job search website ever. I applied for a few jobs on here (never heard back from any of them), but I made the mistake of making my resume searchable. The next day I woke up to three calls at 6 in the morning. I didn't answer because I was half asleep. I googled the number and it was a door to door sales position. No thanks! That day I got maybe 8 emails from companies in Atlanta that I'd never heard of. I live 40 minutes from Atlanta (without traffic) and wouldn't have applied to anywhere there. I googled all the companies and they were all door to door sales positions. This was about 2 weeks ago and ever since then I've gotten at least 6 calls a day from people selling magazines, collection calls (I have no debt and these people have the last 4 of my ssn), and even a call from an Indian guy asking about a bladder mesh surgery I had in 2007 (when I was 14). I wish I had never put my resume on CareerBuilder.

This has to be the most comical search engine I've ever used, because you can type in various keywords but your search results don't actually have anything to do with what you typed. I also find the "suggested" locations that pop up under the Locations field random, as even Toronto - the biggest city in Canada - does not come up, yet Torey, France is there..... Then I click the links they provide on the left, thinking it would make a difference.... it continues giving me all kinds of random nonsense. And no LinkedIn integration? Not that I'd be using it anymore.

I have had a CareerBuilder account for over 10 years. I kept it active all that time because, well, you never know. I recently relocated, prompting the need to go job hunting. After completing a temporary job, I updated my resume and went to post it on my CareerBuilder account. Imagine my surprise, when I discovered that my account had been deleted. I entered my information several times over. It told me it did not recognize my email.

I then tried to create a new account. It wouldn't let me. It said it had been deleted and that I was welcome to use another email address. I sent a message to CareerBuilder through the site. Mind you they do not have a phone number where you can speak to a person. I got a reply two days later stating that once an account has been deleted, it cannot be reinstated. They did not address the fact that the account was deleted without my consent. I assume it was hacked. In order to get a new account, I'd have to create a whole new email account and start from scratch. That is NOT cool at all.

This site is ** up. Looking through my CC statement I noticed a random charge. They charged me for services I never used. I don't remember ever building a resume with them. I think I must have signed up with my email and obviously CC info over a year ago. I don't know how you can be charged for nothing over a year later. Seems dishonest and fishy.

I rarely ever get legit emails and for the past couple months, all I get are scammer emails about positions. I get at least 5 a day. You would think they would have more security procedures in place to make sure that employers are legit. I canceled my account and will use other services now to find a job. Unfortunately my email is out there and the scam emails keep coming.

I too am getting sick of careerbuilder.com for a number of reasons. First off, they let you apply to jobs that are expired, and then send you Emails that appear to be an acceptance of your application with links that instead take you to a page of similar jobs that says Job Expired. So, you try to contact them about this, and find out that you are not able to log into your account because of an invalid password. So, you click Forgot Password link, and they send you a so called "temporary password" to log in with. But when you try again to log in you get the same message, Invalid. WHAT A RIP. This job board site should be shut down!!

I was offered an administrative assistant position through CareerBuilder. The company is Memory Computer Inc. the contact person was **. The job seemed legit because there's a website for the company and a phone number. **'s pitch is him and his team is coming from Canada and need an assistant to help set up office in U.S. Cities. My city was atl. Within two weeks he sent me a $4620 check. The check is printed on a first bank account. I called first bank and it is a fraud account and fraud checks. First bank told me they are "looking into it". I took the check to my bank Wells Fargo. I figured if it were a fake check they would let me know like they have done in the past.

However the check went through. So I thought the money is real the job must be real. Wells Fargo let me get $4500 in cash the next day. I then took the money and paid "computer supplier" via BOA. I thought it was strange but since being in the atl I've had some strange ambiguous job situations. And Wells Fargo let me get the money. Anyways by the end of the week Wells Fargo is taking the check deposit back. I have filed a police report and FBI fraud report and I talked with first bank and Wells Fargo. I am not sure what else to do. CareerBuilder website doesn't have a direct fraud reporting page. ** even had the nerve to keep contact throughout the whole process.

I've been applying for customer service position's thru CareerBuilder for almost two months and every response I've had turns out to be a scam. I have a great resume, I should have another job by now. But no, I'm still unemployed because I've been wasting time on CareerBuilder. They need to make it hard for people to post scams but it's probably somebody working there scamming and stealing identities.

Posted my resume. After 3 days, I started getting spam about jobs that I was not really a match for based on keywords. I deleted my resume and my account. Still get the spam. If you post your resume on CareerBuilder, it will get downloaded and you will get spam forever. I suspected this was the case from when I posted a resume on job boards 10 years ago and still get spam regarding keywords from 10 years ago. So I used a different e-mail address. The e-mail I used for CareerBuilder is where I started getting spam right away. It feels horrible to think that my name, e-mail address and work history was immediately downloaded and shared.

CareerBuilder sucks you in with promises (ad optimization, high call volume and high end customer service). Here is the bad part. CareerBuilder wants to lock you in for a long term contract. Once you sign on the dotted line, the promises fade and the customer service sucks. I'll be as honest as possible here. 4-5 years ago CareerBuilder did the trick. Ads were posted effectively and professionally and the call volume was good. Today, your ads get stomped on by BIG paying companies, you get little attention and ultimately no ROI. I now use Indeed.com and get what I pay for. No long term contracts and guaranteed results. STAY AWAY FROM CareerBuilder and look at other options!!!

I have been reading some of the reviews on here, and unfortunately I have been having similar experience being contacted by scammers on careerbuilder. I have had my resume on the site since 2001 and have been hired at two great companies as a result of recruiters contacting me from this site. Since this time, I am fully aware of all of the fraudulent posts and misleading jobs where you apply for one thing and then show up to an interview that is really for a direct sales job or some MLM scam. Before, I am aware that I was young and naive and should have researched these companies prior to applying to them.

Unfortunately, now I actually get contacted by these same companies who somehow get a hold of my phone number on my resume and either say they found my resume or that they are calling me in response to me "sending in my resume for a position" for which I never applied! I am even getting calls from Advocare and Primerica branch owners who used to push their products on friends and family and are now paying to pull resumes from Careerbuilder and are cold calling people.

As much as I want to blame Careerbuilder 100% for these experiences, I also understand that times are hard and that they will probably accept fees from less than reputable companies to get ad revenue or access to resumes. However, they could at least make these companies sign a terms of service agreement that they are going to be honest about postings and not mislead people if the companies themselves are contacting a candidate. Another thing that bothers me is that I used to be able to filter out scam jobs from fly by night "promotional" companies, and the page no longer refreshes without those listings. I would recommend Indeed, Glassdoor, LinkedIn, or even Craigs List over this job search engine. At least you can see real profiles and might even get access to employee reviews.

I posted my resume and within 3-days started getting spam. I deleted my account on around day 4. I still get spam from senders that say I am now in multiple job search databases. I am angry that I was conned out my e-mail address, phone number, work history and education details from this site. There are no privacy protections for you resume. Don't post it.

Since CareerBuilder apparently has no forum nor can they do anything about scammers who randomly find your resume, I'm here to report that "Deana **" is in fact a scammer.

I was offered a position as an Accounts Receivable Consultant/Virtual Assistant, which is basically just having their US-based customers mail me their payments in check form and then deposit the check into my own bank account and then transfer the funds while immediately keeping 10% for myself as well as amazing bonuses ($65-$88k+). It was one of those "too good to be true" ordeals. I was actually very skeptical at first because I'm use to CB scams and even informed them that I wouldn't fall for it if they were a scammer, but they came off as very professional and legit (minus a few minor spelling/grammar errors). They even disguised themselves as a legitimate, real UK-based company that does actually exist and has a legitimate website.

I became aware that they were in fact a scammer by after I had signed and returned a legitimate looking contract that they sent me and gave them some basic information (name, address, phone number), they would only respond after that by resending me the job description, which we had already fully discussed. So, I then directly emailed the real company via their website and they confirmed that this person is in fact a scammer. I've also reported them to the Russian-based company that they use for their email address and advised them that they should do whatever they can to stop this scammer from ever using their services again. Cheers!

I was contacted through CareerBuilder about a "mystery shopper" job by **. I replied to this and stated that this would be something that I would be interested in since I frequently shop for my family of 6 at various types of stores several times per week. Approximately two weeks later, I received a cashier's check in the mail for $2875 drawn on Logix Federal Credit Union along with a 1-page 'letter' with detailed instructions on how to proceed, ultimately instructing me to wire $2625 to another person located in China (no red flags there!). The letter was from **, Head of Recruitment, however, the USPS Priority Mail envelope return address information was from "**, ** Opa Locka, FL 33054" (no red flag there either!).

This ** person does not exist, much less at this address nor could I find any information about ** related to the 'mystery shopper' program on the internet. I did, however, find several complaints and scam reports regarding similar experiences that others have had with this 'mystery/secret shopper' contact through email or CareerBuilder so I felt that I should report this activity to let everyone know that this is still occurring.

Law Enforcement needs to get involved and find the person(s) that are utilizing job boards to scam people that are looking for work as well as using the U.S. Postal Service for these scams not to mention producing fraudulent bank checks. All of which are federal offences. What is wrong with these people? Can't they get a legitimate job and earn their own money instead of scamming money from other people? What a bunch of **. I saved all of these documents for reference in case someone needs them to pursue this case.

I've been listed with them for about 6 weeks. They send out weekly emails that always have the same job listings on them. Of the roughly 30 jobs they keep sending over and over, I am only sort of qualified for one of them. Most are like nurse assistant, or truck driver, or reefer engineer (I don't even know what a reefer engineer is). I am an interior decorator. Why do they send me these things? The one job I did apply for, they have continued to send to me for 5 more weeks since I applied for it. I never got a response from the employer (whatever). But now, CareerBuilder wants me to fill out a survey on my experience applying for that job and what the employer said about it.

I started using this site yesterday after not finding many job options on other sites. I tried to apply to one job but to apply I needed to pay $150 which I did not do. Then I applied to two other jobs and since then I have been receiving spam emails and phone calls on my private cell phone which is in the do not call list. Should of stopped looking after the first job which asked me to pay but times are tough. It's so sad that this site uses innocent people to get information from so you can be harassed all day long by scammers and spam. Never ever ever use this site to look for jobs. Go to monster, indeed or glassdoor-- they are all wonderful.

Putting my resume on this website and actively looking for two of the last three years has done nothing except get me a few phone interviews with insurance companies that offer commission. I was told by the head of human resources at a Fortune 50 company here in my town that this and other websites are not dependable whatsoever for getting a job.

CareerBuilder.com Company Profile