2.42/5
Based on 124 reviews that contain star ratings

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

131 CareerBuilder.com Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

I received a “Welcome to CareerBuilder” email not too long ago and never signed up. I soon began to receive a dozen phone calls and emails for sales positions. My information was used to create an account that was never authorized. This is extremely frustrating and intrusive. I am still being contacted by several of these sales companies. I’ve since asked them to remove my info but based on other reviews here, it seems I’m not the only one who has faced this issue. It could have cost me my new job if they saw my public resume on here and thought I was job hunting when I wasn’t. This is highly unethical and should be illegal. Shame on CareerBuilder for doing this.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2018

I did not register for this website. I received an email thanking me for uploading my resume. I did not provide any of this information, nor did I authorise the use of my information. Creating an account in my name using my email and a fake address is COMPLETELY FRAUDULENT. I have requested that my account be removed and expect to be informed when this is done within the 30 day window (which is egregious). I will be negatively rating this site on every possible review site possible. Skimming my LinkedIn for this information and creating an account in my name is akin to identity theft.

Get expert buying tips about Job Search Sites delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Oct. 17, 2018

They promise much and deliver nothing. I got roped into this nonsense. Now, I get 4 to five calls a day. When I ask them to stop calling, they hang up in your face. Most of the operators sound like college age kids working a dead end, minimum wage paying job. These people are horrible.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

I received an email from a Career Builder recruiter about a possible job. The email asked for a call. We set up a time to talk; the recruiter was late. When we got on the phone we basically went through my resume and I was told this was a call center job in insurance and they thought I would be a good fit. I said I would be interested and was told I'd have to speak to a supervisor. I spoke to the supervisor. She spoke really fast, was very curt and totally disinterested in what I was saying. By her tone I knew I would not be offered a chance to interview. Sure enough, I got an email from the recruiter after speaking with the supervisor saying they were sorry and I wasn't a fit. This is the second time I have dealt with Career Builder and it is the second poor experience. If they can't place you or make money from you right away they have no use for you. How does one go from a fit to no thanks?

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I was told that CareerBuilder.com was a great way to get noticed, but the only people who contact me are recruiters and head hunters that don't even offer full-time jobs anymore because nobody hires through staffing or temp agencies anymore. So the advertisement that you will be working a great job in little or no time is all a ploy to get you to sign up and then be bombarded by staffing agencies that send you emails left and right and then their phone calls are all from staffing agencies offering temp jobs "or the same job through three different agencies." Then you get what is called a "double submission" so they throw your job application altogether because the headhunters don't want to argue over the better offer.

PLAIN AND SIMPLE, career builder is a way to sell your information listed as third party information which is a fancy way of saying staffing agencies and they all have the same job available, because when you get multiple agencies all calling about the same job position and same job location, you know they are all like two male koi fish fighting to the death and the people are the prize. So unless you want to be bouncing from job to job for the rest of your career, you won't find anything on careerbuilder.com but an abundance of staffing agencies flooding your email with those positions all from temp or contract jobs and they are all going to tell you they are offering a temp to hire, or a contract job, because very few are direct hire anymore.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Career Builder?

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

Never landed a job through this site. What I did get were fraudulent e-mails from SCAMMERS. Every e-mail I received from CareerBuilder from a "potential employer" always wanted me to send money, pay fees, or cash checks and then MoneyGram or use other money transfer services to send cash to some person and tell me I get to keep x amount of the money from their BOGUS check. Nothing but scams here folks, I always verified anything I got to make sure it was legitimate, and I hate to say it, 100% of the time the job offers I received were NOT LEGITIMATE!

They were scammers that would steal your info, bank account info and bleed you dry if they could. I'm just glad I was SMARTER than the scammers that use these sites to harvest e-mails and personal data to lure a person into such traps. I never fell for it, and it's why I WILL NOT recommend any of these online job services to ANYONE. Want a job, talk to the company or type work you want, get the website DIRECTLY from the company and apply directly through their website or at their facility, some businesses still do that. Good Luck folks!

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I hope you like SPAM. That's all you will get here. I am still spending my hour, disgusted about how these people upload your resume. Then have to fill in all the gaps, that make you look like an idiot. Your resume does not correspond with the void tactics used on this site, to make you look good. It just shows employers, how you have not filled every gap, which is misleading. Indeed.com is the way to go. These companies try to show your faults, not your accomplishments. Waste of time, don't spend yours. There are many sites that are looking for your career. Don't let this fool you! Now it's giving me a test to see if I'm a robot. ;)

Original review: July 18, 2018

Within seconds of entering my phone number, my phone was ringing with spam calls. Upwards of 10 times per day. No matter how many times you ask to be taken off their list, they hang up on you and try again. It is absolutely infuriating. Spam emails from all over after too.

Original review: July 17, 2018

I have sent 2 feedbacks to CareerBuilder team on the important issue. I have not heard from them for 5 months. Issue 1: The data in the profile below the [Save] button - in not getting updated - so there is no way to update sections like Skills, etc. Issue 2. I tried to delete my account and to re-create it. I am not able to do this as the ONLY option is to reactivate my old account. NO way to create new account with the same email. I want to keep my email! Suggestion: Add the "Objective" section so we can put minimum requirements, such as at least "Location". Recruiters call from all over US, which is waste of time for all.

Original review: May 24, 2018

On May 23, 2018 I received phone calls and text messages regarding a job offer where the caller stated they found my resume on Careerbuilder.com. The problem with this is I never signed up for an account with Careerbuilder.com. I looked back through my resume email address inbox and found that on April 27th at 7:46 pm I received an email stating welcome to Careerbuilder. There after a regular emails regarding how many times my resume showed up in searches and how many times it was viewed.

I NEVER UPLOADED A RESUME because I NEVER SIGNED UP FOR AN ACCOUNT WITH Careerbuilder.com. My resume is only on two sites, Indeed.com and LinkedIn. Both of which I have privacy settings turned on and I haven't logged into since 2016. I work in a sensitive field and I'm now at risk of losing my employment due to the reckless actions of this company. How is it possible and not criminal that a business can just acquire your details and put them on display publicly?

Original review: May 18, 2018

I'm really glad I'm getting so many call backs, but... Half the calls I'm getting aren't even in the same field as jobs I'm applying for. I've been applying for entry level data entry and receptionist type jobs, but I've gotten all kinds of random calls - everything from executive/management positions in sales/marketing to housekeeping. The calls I am getting that are in the field I'm applying for have all been a long distance from me. A few of the positions were even from out of state! I thought CareerBuilder was supposed to match you to potential employers based on your profile, resume and job applications you submit. What's the strategy here? I really need a new job but that doesn't mean I'm going to just take whatever comes along as CareerBuilder evidently assumes. I would rather job hunt on my own. CareerBuilder is no help, just a waste of time.

Original review: May 18, 2018

I feel that this site falsely lures you into finding your perfect career match. All the extras pull you away from your purpose & you get nothing but questions about furthering your education. Become frustrated, lose interest & immediately are hounded by telemarketers. Ridiculous.

Original review: April 13, 2018

Beware about providing your phone #. The recruiter said they’d help me find work by sending me job posts (which they never did). Then after talking to them I’ve been getting spam phone calls everyday.

Original review: March 18, 2018

I have been using CareerBuilder.com for several years and have NEVER received an email or call pertaining to employment opportunities (other than selling insurance), not even interview. I am not sure why it is so hard to find gainful employment in Mississippi that is centered around my education level and employment history. I just wonder if businesses are getting my applications. I refuse to believe my skill level is so unappealing that no one is willing to even call me for an interview. This make me feel companies are not really looking for employees, they are just using the website for advertising. I am very displeased and discouraged in fair employment opportunities.

Original review: Feb. 7, 2018

Functionally speaking, CareerBuilder is basically on par with other job sites. The postings seem consistent with others (nothing exclusive, not too much seen on other boards not showing here). The profile and resume tools are as expected. The one thing I noted was that the saved search (and email alert) function are useless. For one reason or another, they don't bother to save all the parameters (including the preferred industries), so the results are way broader than you think you're getting.

The other big downer about this (and why I had to cancel) is that if you share your contact info, you get inundated with spam. Loads of email and phone contacts from supposed people offering career opportunities, but really trying to recruit franchisees, insurance agents, and other such schemes. The few communications you see regarding actual jobs are obviously mass-email advertisements from body shops that have clearly not even attempted to classify your profile. It seems that CareerBuilder is first a mass lead-generator for these businesses using shady tactics to prey on jobseekers and second a jobseekers' platform. I'd stay away.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2017

I have been a recruiter for over 20 years and trying to establish an account with this company has been a complete joke. I'm starting a new business and because I did not have my email address or website set up yet they said they could not verify it and I was a fraudulent account. I sent the LLC letter right from the state still no one could fix this. The only answer they gave was we can't do business with you and not one person no matter how far I went up the chain and tried to get them what they needed could fix this and or even follow up. I've never written a review in my professional history. You have to really get under my skin for me to waste my time doing this. You all need serious help with account sales and customer service.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I find this website very good and easy for find what I was looking for and the emails telling about job in my file really did help me a lot.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

Career Builder is it good site for people looking for employment. They send you texts every day and emails on jobs that you're interested and more just in case you want to change your career too. Pretty easy site to use and if you don't have time to check your email that's okay because you'll get daily text sometimes more than one or two. It's a great site for the unemployed. I made an account and it was easy and simple. Ask all the right questions, filled it out like an application.

But I never did find a job there. They kept sending me jobs that I had no interest in or experiencing or qualified in. Don't know where they got all that from because what I filled out the application I did not put that down. I was very clear on what I was interested in. Career Builder send you jobs that are 500 miles away. Sometimes not even did the state to live. And the text messages can be annoying at times especially when the jobs you have no interest in and never applied for. But they work hard on trying to get you a job.

Original review: July 31, 2017

The search engine made it easy and simple for me to look for specific jobs. I was able to get certain job listings upon my filters. However, it ran very slow. It also showed some job listings that I was not interested in even though I filtered for certain jobs. Other than those it was very simple to create my account.

Original review: July 30, 2017

I am in the desktop, laptop computer business. I have been in security for numerous years and they had a wide variety on the type of job I was looking for and within 15 miles of my home. I used CareerBuilder not only for helping me to find a job but also helped me to put a resume together as most employers require that now and after being with the same company for 27 years it was difficult for me to even attempt getting a new job. It was easy to connect with prospective employers because CareerBuilder listed the job in great detail and what your qualifications needed to be. I will use CareerBuilder.com again. They're fast, efficient and fair.

Original review: July 28, 2017

Career Builders offer a large selection of potential prospective employers that are located in my hometown, while appeals to me because I won't have to commute back and forth to work. They are pretty much state of the arts when it comes to pairing the right candidate with the right potential employers. This saves time and effort when conducting a job search. But I wish they offered more potential prospective employers that are within my ZIP code, which would lessen my time to commute back and forth to work.

I had to create an account. Thereafter, I also had to post my resume, and on occasion, I also had to update my resume to curtail it for the position I was interested in applying for. I always had to create an account, and post my resume with each of these search engines to ensure proper recipient to receive my resume along with proper follow up with each employers whom I've submitted to resumes to.

Original review: July 27, 2017

I realized CareerBuilder.com is the place to find a job. They have a great set up and a large variety of jobs to search through. You can put up your resume so employers can contact you if you qualify for the job they are hiring for. I created an account so I could apply for open positions and upload my resume. Some of the ads are cluttered and hard to understand but that’s because some employers try to put too much in one ad so they can get confusing and then we will get upset and walk away. But after a while, you can figure it out before you get frustrated and give up altogether.

Original review: July 26, 2017

It's a great site with a lot of job opportunities. I like this site because it matches your profile with great employers who are looking for someone with exactly what you're looking for saving me time. I am instantly connected. I made my account and downloaded my resume. I was connected with job opportunities that I qualified for. It's very simple to use and I landed over 3 interviews in one week. But I would like more job opportunities in the city I live in. This would lower travel money providing me with the convenience of working close to home. This feature would help. Don't like to travel to work every day.

Original review: July 25, 2017

I was contacted by a recruiter after responding to a lot of Admin. Assist. positions Employers posted on CareerBuilder. I asked if they had even looked at my resume. Since it appeared to me that was not even glanced at. I had spent a lot of time make sure I was a good fit for position before applying, I don't want to waste their time. Why would recruiter want to waste mine? I asked since they didn't seem to care to remove me from their list and make no more contact. Five minutes give or take, she sent a listing for general labor and lawn service. I let go on the person and refuse to have any more dealings with CareerBuilder's from now on.

If a company hires someone like that, I have no faith in them. No she/he knew what they were doing and you could almost see the smirk on her face when sending me the inappropriate job listing. I take my time when I apply make sure I'm a good fit. Why would someone just be obnoxious, rude, unprofessional, and just what's the word? Bad day, so what me too, I do not have a job, you do so you are ridiculing me? Thanks but no thanks. CareerBuilder has always been off about jobs sent to me, but not like this.

Original review: July 25, 2017

CareerBuilder.com have jobs that are not listed anywhere else. It has the ability to filter by annual pay, date posted, company, category, and hours. It also has the ability to save your resume. It is also fairly easy to use. But it has fewer jobs listed than on other websites. I am not sure how this could be solved other than more advertising or perks for employers to post their job openings. I have not made an account yet because I prefer to use other websites. It is harder to look for jobs on this site due to the lack of jobs posted.

Original review: July 23, 2017

CareerBuilder.com is real Handy finding jobs that I qualify for. It's very easy to navigate through the website. I like this very much. I plan on using this a lot more in the future. But I would categorize it a lot better and have more jobs on there. I would also make it easier to get a hold of job opportunities period. Nevertheless, I really like this website a lot. It was very easy uploading my resume and deregistering. It was easy to find a job. I found everything I needed and timely manner.

Original review: July 22, 2017

CareerBuilder.com is very user-friendly. You put in where you are looking for a job, salary range you are looking for. You can upload your resume, so that you don't have to type it in each time for school job that you apply for. The way it is set up is just right! I put in my name, address, date of birth, education, what types of positions I was interested in and the area I was interested in with a mile radius all based on what the positions stated needed qualifications. I uploaded my resume and posted it to the jobs that I applied for. I put in the types of jobs I was interested in and it was very easy to find those jobs because it came up with a list and then when I found jobs that I was interested in, I decided that I wanted to use the site to apply for those open positions.

Original review: July 21, 2017

CareerBuilder.com is very easy to use and very easy to job search. It search jobs in your area and your radius is very helpful. The website is pretty awesome. I received a few callbacks each time I do applications. I love the website. Once you make your account it keep you updated daily. You keep posting jobs in your field. The website is pretty good and I would recommend it.

Original review: July 20, 2017

At first I was not happy about having to make an account but it ended up working for the best in the end. It was very easy for me to make an account and find job listings. Most of the listings led me to the application process. All of my preferences, information and search history are saved so that whenever I log on, easy to access and new jobs that fit my interest appear. I liked that I could find positions I was interested in with clear search terms and the website was easy to navigate. But some of the postings were unclear or irrelevant.

Original review: July 19, 2017

I like CareerBuilder.com because of the immense variety of job postings they have listed. There is always a job posting I can choose from and I like the filtering system also. I made an account and it is simple and I was able to find job listings. I was actually lucky enough to get a job. But I would make resume building and also resume attached to the website. For example I want to be able to email my resume straight to the employer from the app.

CareerBuilder.com Company Information