2.9/5 (11 ratings)

About Walden University Nursing

Walden University Nursing Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Walden University Nursing?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Walden University Nursing?

Original review: Nov. 2, 2021

It is true about this program only being interested in keeping students’ loan money flowing in by delaying EVERYTHING and pretty much handing you a catalog and saying, “good luck” but not meaning it. You are at the mercy of a school that will not even pretend to care about your academic progress. Don’t expect to have ANYONE in your corner along the way. You can do everything you’re supposed to - excel at the coursework, keeping up with the fast pace, and still find yourself being held back due to sheer administrative incompetence, with no recourse. Even the class action lawsuit & buyout did not change how the school operates, because they are doing the EXACT same things named in the lawsuit.

Original review: April 25, 2021

1. You will be assigned chapters to read in a book. At times, 30+ chapters per week are assigned.

2. You will teach yourself. You will have no help from the "Instructor" as their titles have been changed to "Facilitators".
3. You will have no help finding preceptors.
4. Your program requirements will be changed to make it even more difficult to find preceptors.
5. You will experience near-constant apprehension over finding your own preceptors and will live in fear that you cannot complete the program.
6. You will spend an exorbitant amount of money and will only have learned how to teach yourself.

7. This school will provide you with no resources or assistance whatsoever.

Get buying tips about Online Nursing Programs and Nursing Schools delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 9, 2019

Completing the actual DNP program may take you 2 years, but obtaining approval for your capstone project is a painful and costly joke. For a school whose mission is promoting social change, you spend about 6 months trying to get your committee to approve a project, you are assigned 3 members. One tells you everything looks great, the next one makes revisions, and the third comes back and denies even the revisions made by their colleagues. It feels like a circus and you are in the middle of it.

They have this policy where each committee member takes 14 days to complete their review of your paper, by the end of a 3 credit semester and $2500 dollars later, you are stuck in the same spot where you started and have to sign up for another bogus 3 credit class where you do nothing but wait for approval and pay another $2500. Although you are done with the actual DNP program, you have to keep re-enrolling until you complete your project. You can't switch schools at this point, and complaining to the program director is a waste because all you get is "be patient with the process" Potential DNP Students BEWARE.

Original review: April 25, 2017

The enrolling was stressful but when is it not? I've found this program easier than most and had no problem with it. In conclusions, it was all very standard stuff to help me learn what I need to get my degree. Would most likely use again.

Original review: April 23, 2017

Enrolling was pretty easy. Taking the class wasn’t hard because I could work at my own schedule. I liked the fact that I didn’t have to get up early and walk in the cold to a class. I also liked that I could sit in my bed instead of a hard desk. However, engaging could be hard like when there were group projects for example. In a physical class you have a professor to teach you the material. In the online classes there might be a video sometime but you are responsible for much of your own learning. Despite that, you still get graded just as harshly as if you were in a physical class. And despite being harder than a physical class it was still helpful.

Original review: April 22, 2017

Life changing opportunity. I loved the campus. It was always lively and well put together. And most of the classes were tolerable. The courses have helped me very much, there is nothing more I could of asked for as far as what I got out of the program. I was able to retain what I had learned very well as well. I loved the professors. They were great at connecting with us 1 on 1. But I was not as pleased with a few who tended to favor some students while not so willing to help others.

Original review: April 17, 2017

From my individual experience there are many positive attributes of this online program. I like that the program is: Self propelled, self driven, flexible to meet the demands of my daily life. It also has excellent resources. I found the online platform to be well thought out and user friendly. Course work criteria thoroughly described. Degree pursuit algorithm laid out clearly and advancing through courses easily tracked online. Overall I am satisfied with my experience but it can be improved by providing ancillary resources to help meet the demands of furthering education while work and raising a family.

Original review: April 16, 2017

I like the availability, affordability and budget of courses. They offered a very large variety of courses of live interactive scheduling and pricing. But I wish they would offer a wider schedule for working parents and housewives through interactive programming. More individualized courses based on your real life and work experiences. It is also much easier to participate in a physical class daily and weekly. Listening and seeing a presentation makes it much easier to process information.

Original review: April 14, 2017

The enrollment process was just right. It was a little confusing at first but then I got the hang of it and it was not a problem. I like that you can work at your own pace but need to have all completed by deadline. It was a very good experience doing the work that was assigned to me. The work is hard but if you put your mind to it you can do it. When I was finished it will all pay off for me.

Original review: April 13, 2017

It is easier to access the materials and it works great being a stay at home mom. I can pause a class and return at my convenience. I also enjoy not having to commute to school. The schedule is great for family and kids too. I like the variety of choosing materials, schedules and classes. Research is also right there at my fingertips. Having a quick access to the internet and online resources is so helpful. I can also look up precious student struggles and experiences. It helps me to be more prepared for the program. The only struggle I had was it not being so personal. It really depended on the teacher I had, but mostly I would have loved to speak to my instructors instead of having to commute to see them. But I have no regrets at all. Online learning and enrollment is so much more simple and convenient. I loved all my teachers. They were so helpful.

Walden University Nursing author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Walden University provides registered nurses with the convenience of advanced online nursing degrees. Students can choose from multiple options of undergraduate and graduate degrees from advanced certifications to a doctorate in nursing.

• Nursing programs: Walden offers 12 programs in the nursing field. Students can choose from three advanced nursing certificates, a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN-BSN), eight different Master of Science in Nursing programs and two doctoral programs. Each master's program has its own specialty, including Leadership and Management, Nurse Practitioner Acute Care, Nurse Practitioner Adult/Gerontology, Nurse Practitioner Family, Nursing Education, Nursing Informatics and Psychiatric and Mental Health Nurse Practitioner.

• Accreditation: Walden University is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC). Their nursing program is accredited by the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE).

• Tuition: The tuition for the Bachelor of Science in Nursing (RN-BSN) program is around $17,000 total with fees. The tuition for the Master's of Science in Nursing degrees differ based on the specialty, if it's a BSN track or RN track and if the student can transfer credits. Students can expect tuition for master’s degrees to be anywhere from $23,000-$40,000 total with no transferable credits and $12,000-$20,000 total with the total amount of transferable credits. Tuition for the Doctor of Nursing Practice program is around $38,000 with no transferable credits and $22,000 with the total amount of transferable credits. Tuition for the Ph.D. program is $64,000 with no transferable credits and $35,000 with the full amount of transferable credits.

• Admissions: To apply, candidates can go online and create a MyHomepage account, complete their profile and attach appropriate documents. Walden will evaluate students’ prior credits for free to determine which ones are eligible to transfer. Students have the option to test out of courses by taking certain exams such as the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) and the DANTES Subject Standardized Test (DSST). Candidates can also speak with a counselor about getting credit for life experiences.

• Financial Aid: Walden helps students find financial assistance through enrollment and financial aid advisors. According to Walden, two-thirds of their students receive some type of financial aid.

Walden University Nursing Company Information