1.53/5
Based on 119 reviews that contain star ratings

Savannah, GA

124 South University Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 1, 2019

This is the worst college to ever attend, and my experience at this school was terrible. First, the teachers crammed information daily, about 100 Powerpoint slides and you’re tested twice a week. The teachers were very unapproachable and extremely unhelpful. I also felt that some teachers were extremely racist and only helped favorites, so we were forced to do a lot of work with minimal guidance. The teachers used intimidation tactics during class which created a stressful learning environment and made it very hard to learn and focus.

Also, at the end of quarter the teachers played with grades for whom they wanted and their favorites throughout the year. Also, most of the decent professors are in Savannah, and most of your classes are on a screen where you press a button to ask questions. The technology is very outdated and malfunction most of the time, which takes time away from the instruction and causes confusion. Financial aid was a different monster. We received incorrect information and the financial aid person for the pharmacy program was active military so when we went to answer questions we never received an answer, and no phone calls were returned. She was also very rude and when asked questions she seemed to not want to answer and provided incorrect rushed answers.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I attended South University 2 years ago. I could not get disability help. I was bullied by teachers, students, my FSFA Account was hacked more times than I can count! They lied and mislead me on all accounts! Now because of Argosy University closing due to the Dream Center Laundering money $38 million and $51Million told including Argosy, South and the Art Institute, and Argosy losing their accreditation and closing. South University won’t leave me alone and keeps tried to force me to go back. I refuse. South University Fired Rick Bunning my Academic Adviser the only good person there. He single handedly taught me Windows 10! He refused to let me ever give up! All the rest at that school because of the Dream Center who doesn't care about your disabilities are Pusillanimous Polecats! Don't go to South University. They are **, and liars! Also harassing me and won't stop! I Grade South University an F! 0 Stars!

Get expert buying tips about Online Colleges delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 9, 2019

In 2014 I completed all of my required courses necessary for a master's degree. Upon the completion of required credits I needed 3 credits to earn my master's degree, I was getting good grades as I approached the final 2 or 3 assignments my grades changed and they told me I failed the class and I had to retake the class if I wanted my master's degree. That FINANCIAL aid would not cover it I need to pay out of pocket. I disagreed with their decision and withdrew from SOUTH UNIVERSITY.

I enrolled in another online university in an effort to earn the 3 needed credits necessary to graduate. I contacted South University to find out which class could I take and TRANSFER it into their school. I was told no outside class would be accepted I will have to earn the 3 credits there. Refused to return to SOUTH UNIVERSITY. I had to start all over with a completely new degree. Because of them I started 2 more years of online studies. That I didn't need all I needed was 3 credits, THEY ARE CROOKED CROOKS. Only after the money.

Original review: March 8, 2019

1- When you have 3 or4 class less they want to fail the student because they took your money and no integrity for student. 2- Dr. ** teacher is on cart to make student drop and fail the class. 3- They need a big investigation. Is a Fraud school. Only want your money $$$ and almost at the end of the program say that you fail, and then they have your money and you lose the master. 4- If somebody want to look for a lawyer let me know, please.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I attended South University for about 4 months using a scholarship, a loan and a grant and still they required me to pay out of pocket. Long story short I was unable to pay weekly as required which resulted in me being kicked out of school abruptly. Now I am stuck with an 8,000 dollar loan. No degree. A big fat tax offset among other incurred debts via my dealings with this particular university. I'm paying out money for loan I feel I never got to fully use.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about South University?

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

If one reads all the negative reviews, there seems to be a common thread of "personal problems" and the like. My experience with the online program was excellent. My wife and I both enrolled in the RN to BSN program at the same time. We were given a map of the classes we would need from start to finish and it never deviated. I did not encounter any problems with classwork or instructors, and took the max load of two classes at a time and finished in just over a year with a 3.95. My wife went on to immediately continue in their FNP program and has been satisfied with it, as well. One needs to be a disciplined, driven student to complete these types of online classes. Life does happen, but why would anyone expect the school to bend over backward because of it? Do your due diligence before attending any school, and read all the fine print to prevent "surprises" later on. Very happy with South University. SUO, BSN 2017.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

I have been a part-time student in the online MPA program for a little over a year. I enjoy my classes and interaction with instructors. I have good contact with my admissions and enrollment counselors as well as my finance counselor. Until this week. I'm actually on my final course of my degree this term. This week something is different. I cannot get hold of anyone. Emails aren't returned. My financial aid posted late and I have not received any information about my stipend. I learned that the entire Arizona online support staff was terminated which supposedly is where my counselors worked. This is a part of some buyout and change of for profit to non-profit status. I'm just trying to find out is the university closing, should I keep logging in and doing my work, what's going on with my financial aid. Anyone a current student and know anything?

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

So I started at South University January 2016 in the Nursing program. I was making my monthly payment for about 2 or 3 months straight (barely making it) after that I struggled with keeping and finding a decent paying job to keep up with my personal bills as well as school. I finished the first semester and set out summer and I think fall of that year because it was too stressful to pay monthly with very limited income, and that’s if I had any. I went back in the winter, after paying 20% of what was owed for that 1 semester (mind you they were paid via Financial aid as well).

Went through that semester with the same dilemma when it came to money and stuck it out to the summer and when I started back the FA guy had me sign a whole other contract adding my new monthly balance with my old and I was very upset and I showed it to him saying that makes no sense when I don’t have the money as is being a single mom and working for little to nothing, but of course he didn’t care because it’s about money and nothing else.

How can you focus on school when you have to worry about paying them every month? Fast forward to 2018, I had already planned on going back and spoke with the lady from FA and she told me I had to pay about 220 to start back and I was willing to do so, around tax time they decided to put it in collections and suddenly I owed them a little over $7,000 for pretty much nothing. Can you say inflation. I’m not paying $7,000 when each semester I took 2 classes each time (4 semesters) so what was my financial aid paying for?

Now I’m still getting calls from the collection agency and today the collector said that it’s been in collection since June of 2017, how when I never received anything saying it was and why were they still asking me to pay them for something that was given to a collection agency? I am now attending school for the same degree (bachelors) and I don’t have to pay a thing out of pocket at Strayer not to mention I get a refund back every quarter. Explain to me how one school offers the same degree in the same length of time and this school gives you money towards getting your degree at the end, while the other charges you out the tail to better your life making it difficult to focus on your school work.

Bottom line they do not have your best interest at heart and there is no reason for them to charge what they charge, you’re better off going to a historical college like Princeton or Yale for what they charge. They need to be held accountable financially and when it comes to their reputation. There should be a law against taking advantage of people trying to do better.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

This school is unethical and treats students so poorly. I am suing them for the abuses they have done to me and encourage anyone else to do the same. Join the fight against this schools treatment against students. It is appalling and beyond ethical to students and destroying our school systems. These schools caring only about taking our money and not the students. It's time for students to take back their rights and stop allowing this school to abuse their students. They expelled me for advocating against their wrongs. I was severely sick with tumors getting treatment in the hospital and what they put me through was so beyond inhumane.

They did the most abusive behavior to me while I was so sick in and out of consciousness being injected with chemicals in me and just gave me barely a minute to get out of the hospital before expelling me. They name called me. Said I was basically a disgrace because I was being treated in the hospital on medications the doctors were giving me for my tumors in my uterus. It was so distressing and this is representatives in the school doing this that represent disabilities and I was in a nurse practitioner program. They do not take care of their own but ridicule them when they are deathly ill. They do not care about you at all. It's a reason to find to get you out and take your money.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

I applied to South University after they said all my classes would transfer in to the FNP program. They literally had me into a class within 3 days of applying. HOWEVER, they did not inform me that there is no time off AT ALL! You actually get charged for taking off. I needed at least one week to just get back to my home in NC that was flooded during the hurricane and they began sending me emails that "I withdrew". I called every department which seemed to be readily available when signing up for classes but no one would return calls at all when you need to find out what is going on. The classes can be online but there are a few that is impossible to do online with no instruction. This is self-taught and their discussion groups is a joke. It has no test preparation involved at all. I would not recommend the program if I had to do it all over again.

South University Company Information