1.52/5
Based on 109 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Savannah, GA

114 South University Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 21, 2018

I was in the BSN program in High Point North Carolina. I was kicked out after failing one class. The nursing program director allowed too many students into the program so they have started nitpicking to lower the amount of students in the program. I had three more months and will have to figure out how to start over. I'm in a massive amount of debt and cannot seem to get a phone call or email back from the nursing program director. Most programs will allow you to take a class over. She just doesn't care. She told us that we weren't likely to pass the NCLEX. That offends me because I know that I can pass the state test. Another student was told by the dean of academic affairs that she made too many c's in the program. They never told any of us that we had to make a's and b's, but now use this as an excuse to deny reinstatement. They also allowed other people back into the program who made c's. This is extremely unfair.

Really read about these schools before you attend. This school is way more expensive than most programs as well. The school tours will make everything seem amazing. I was paying $600 a month when I started the nursing program. They make you pay these large payments while taking a full load. DO NOT GO HERE! The nursing coordinator is also extremely rude to almost everyone and talks to you like you are trash. When I had to take a class that was taught by my nursing program director she never answered my email or taught. I had to teach myself in any classed that her or the nursing coordinator taught.

There was a lot of drama among the staff for the nursing program as well. I don't think students should know when someone has a problem with their secretary. THIS SCHOOL IS A WASTE OF MONEY. I WISH THAT I HAD READ REVIEWS BEFORE I WENT HERE! My Pell Grant is now maxed out and I don't know how I will pay all of this debt off working a low wage job. Please heed my warning.

Original review: May 2, 2018

I would recommend this program for many reasons. Raising 3 kids, moving between states, and not having patience to deal with technical difficulties, SU advisers/professors/and staff have been very accommodating and vested in students graduating and passing the state boards. I passed the boards, received a job offer today and will be working as a FNP in a couple weeks. The school is very affordable, and most of the instructors are excellent. You get what you put into it. Be prepared to find your own clinical rotations. The school works with you if you are having trouble.

Get expert buying tips about Online Colleges delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 19, 2018

Go somewhere else to get courses on English and Math. I wanted to become a Paralegal, was told it would only be 18 months, and $5,000 in total. I told my financial advisor that I was 52 yrs old and didn't have any income. I didn't have any classes for becoming a Paralegal just English and Math which I could have taken at my local vocational school for a lot less. I understand that English is important for becoming a Paralegal but all 18 months and $25,000 later? After I finished the 18 months I was told it would take me another 2 yrs to get my degree. Now they keep emailing me to come back.

Original review: March 27, 2018

Never attended because I was lied during the chat session. They told me the MBA was AACSB. I was happy to hear that but I had my doubts. So I did a quick Google search and found it was actually ACBSP. I asked the recruiter/advisor during the same chat session if she is sure it is AACSB? Because I just checked online and it says ACBSP. She apologized and said, "Yes it is actually ACBSP." This itself is a huge red flag, so no thanks.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

DO NOT ATTEND THIS UNIVERSITY. I was sweet-talked into enrolling in the BSN. I was told ALL of my credits DISCUSSED before enrollment were APPROVED and that I just needed to take a couple of more classes. After enrolling, they said to me that I needed to take more classes; in which case you have no option. Tried contacting counselors — referred me to registrars — referred me to director of the program... so on and so on, I did not get any help or resolution. My tuition for two classes was over $4,000, and THEY WILL NOT RELEASE YOUR TRANSCRIPTS. BEWARE OF THIS INSTITUTION.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about South University?

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I initially entered the university in 2010 after leaving service. Since then and up until about 2015 I earned my associate and bachelor in business. The staff at the school were remarkable around the time frame when Dr. ** (I believe his name was) was president of the school. I did work study so I was really accustomed to the environment and people at this time. I cant remember the actual year when the staffing changed and Dr. ** left, but that's when the family oriented and willingly helpfulness of the university seemed to go downhill.

Financial aid is run by some young guy who may not even speak to you versus the retired marine who did it a few years back. I still remember the prior president coming out to marathons with the veteran students and running with us. I started to see the university and its staff being more "numbers" oriented and "robotic." No one cares to get back with you in a timely manner unless you're initially trying to get into the university and the professors are getting less and less human like over time. The way things are going, possibly professors wont even have to leave their beds and can instruct students from home via a computer or an actual robot that walks into the classroom. SMH.

The registrars are basically non-existent versus those like Mrs. ** who had an open door policy for years. She always had a welcoming voice and smile on her face ready to figure out your problems even if she was busy. Even when she was expecting she still worked hard. The registrars now are just policy jargon repeaters. As a way for instructors to not get blamed for being a horrible teacher or professor they will constantly state like the mantra that "I am here to make sure you do it correctly while you self teach yourself." Horrible ideology in my opinion.

Maybe I'm illiterate in university legalities and how operations must need to be conducted to keep up with demand, but I can tell you, it's not the loving environment it use to be. Some may say a university shouldn't be "loving" but like I said previously, the loving and family oriented environment in the past is what made it motivating and helpful for me to obtain two degrees. I'm sure others would agree.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

I first came to this college requesting a degree that would allow me to someday become a physical therapist. A salesman there (admissions advisor) sat me down and explained that I as a single mother can get grants and loans and I should be a nurse instead. He sold me on the nurse degree. I had a baby and worked full time and took their "nursing prerequisite courses" exhausted! I worked so hard to finish them. Once I was finished I was told that getting into the nursing program (the next step) was GPA dependent. My GPA was high and I got a letter saying I needed to take a course over again! I was devastated and then I asked that they just sign me up for a regular Bachelors of Health Science.

They signed me up for this BS in Health Science. I took all of the courses! I went in and they told me they added 6 more courses and so sorry my Pell grants wouldn't cover or my loans and so now I owe them out of pocket and they have me in collections! I have 152 credits of college I worked so hard for and will never be able to use. That is over the standard amount of credits. My credit is totalled fubar and I am at wit's end. Don't go here unless you have a GI bill to use. I am really defeated.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I decided to attend South University because the school created a Physician’s Assistant program which became the only program in Richmond, Virginia. I came and spoke with current director for their PA program at the time which was Robert **. He went over my classes and reassured me I was on the right track but I needed to finish my degree along with some additional classes. In order for me to apply, I wanted to guarantee my chances in this competitive program and enrolled in South University to finish my remaining courses and complete my degree. Many of my classes transferred in from a community college and they used some of those classes to conduct my degree audit.

I registered for classes and my advisor was Ms. Rosuany **. She made sure I was registered for the correct classes for the first year. After finishing up the first year, thinking I would be graduating (only because they said I would be done with course track I was on) they said, “Oh you have 15 more courses to take.” This is the first time the advisor and register sat with me individually to explain the detailed degree plan which consisted of 180 hours (way more than a regular bs degree). I was frustrated and upset but that did not matter to the advisor, she sat there with a straight face, not caring at all as she went over it again, as if I was not understanding that I had 15 more courses.

Now that I have 15 more courses, my financial aid had to be re-evaluated which of course I had to start paying out of pocket. The advisor registered me for the classes, which I then found out that they made me take an additional class that was not needed and instead of letting that go towards my degree as a class taken, my next class would be free of charge because I paid for a class that was not needed. After about 3-5 weeks of taking more new classes my advisor emails me to ask me which degree I was pursuing. Mind you, she knows who I am and we went over a degree audit and now we are back at registering for the new 5 week courses and she’s asking me which degree audit did we decide to do.

Also when I was in her office, we spoke about future plans, I told her I was going to the school to apply to the Pa program and she said these are the necessary classes you will need, this is the degree you will want to do. Over the course of the year I took 15 classes not 15 hours but 15 classes between Jan-Dec. I continually checked in every 5 weeks when registering for new classes to make sure I was taking the correct courses and that I was going to graduate. Ms. ** assured me yes! September I was ready to get my final three courses to graduate, of course the final three courses I needed were not available. Throughout the year, I have never had a break or wait time to finish my courses and surprisingly this time upon completion my courses are not available.

I explained to my advisor that I needed to take these classes sooner than later because I am due in October. She told me there was nothing she could do, that the classes were not available til The beginning of October (when I was due) and that I needed to communicate with my teachers. At South University when taking an online course, you have to check in, log in, or post something twice or three times within the week if not you will be automatically dropped from the class, it does not matter if you email, skype or call the teacher, it’s out of their control. She did not care, she did not respond to my email about how I was worried because I do not want to be taken out of the class. Again, she does not care, this is merely a paycheck for her, she cares nothing about the students.

I kept my classes, I had my son on October 15, 2017 and I successfully finished the three classes with a newborn. I finished my degree in December of 2017. I then needed to get new information for the PA school, which is something that is not marketed. Every week or so Dean ** would send out an email about information sessions, campus changes or activities at the school. Not once has there been any information or meetings about the PA school. I emailed her to see if I could get information about the program or who would I speak to, to continue my studies. I finally got another email from someone that takes over the enrollment of the PA program information session. Erica, helped to attach a document to fill out and send it back to make sure I was registered for the meeting, I did.

Of course no response if I was registered until I emailed twice more to make sure I was on the list to come. I came to the information session which only had three other people, because it is not marketed, so of course no one would come. The session was informative, took a tour of the area where class and clinicals were instructed and before I left we had to fill out the exact same form that was sent my email that I supposedly needed to register for the session. The women that were conducting the meeting also said “we look at your grades but we also look at your training, patient care hours, resume, GRE scores, and interview. We take in account everything because that can put you above others. If you need help with the reviewing of your courses to make sure you have what you need email Erica”. I took the advice. Emailed Erica, of course emailed her twice before a response and she then tells me I need four additional classes.

Now if you could imagine I was very confused because I have just graduated from South University why would my courses not be what they are looking for. It’s because the courses they offer are not the courses that are accepted by the PA program but indeed the community college has the ones that are needed. I emailed Dean ** after that email to see if she could register me for those classes. It was the holiday so I did not receive a response but I decided to go to the school and talk to them in person. When seeing Dean ** she explained to me that these courses are needed with labs and South does not offer those classes with labs, and that they don’t offer biochemistry at all. I told her I wanted to take classes there because I am already paying out of pocket so I should continue.

Just like a credit card yes it’s more interest, yes it may cost more but because you can make payments that may be easier. But instead she thought I did not understand so she repeated that it’s cheaper to take courses elsewhere but elsewhere it may be cheaper but I would still have pay out of pocket to South and to a community college. She also told me, after looking at my gpa that I would not have a chance to compete in being reviewed into the program. I said I know what my gpa says but because I transferred in my credits my gpa added with my South university classes makes it lower but the core prerequisites needed for the Pa program (which is what is reviewed) are A’s and B’s. She proceeded to tell me that I needed a backup plan, which is obvious when completing applications for any medical program.

She asked ,“What kind of nurse are you? A CNA?” Which was racial profiling since I was **. She then said I should stick with that and do a LPN to RN program and look at being a nurse practitioner because they do the same thing. I told her I have spoken with some of the faculty in the PA department and she said they are part time, they don’t know anything because they are not here. I ended up leaving her office in tears having the understanding that I was not good enough, I have a pointless degree, and I should look at other programs because I would not get into their PA program. Don’t go here or waste your time like I did.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

I just completed the Nurse Practitioner program at South University. Overall the experience was good. My academic and financial advisors were great. All advisors checked on me constantly to make sure things were going well. The program is challenging but very doable. The only difficult part was having to find my own preceptors for clinical but other than that it was a good experience and I would recommend South University. Even the price was good.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

I attended for just under a year. All I experienced was trouble. I was enrolled from February 2014 to January 2015. I was told in the beginning that my financial aide would cover everything. I found out after the fact, that it didn't. The reason I had to drop out was due to missing a final. I was giving birth to my son and in the hospital. It just went south from there (haha south... guess they were aptly named!).

I was working towards an AS in Allied Health and Science, so I could have the background desired for a medical assistant. I am now almost $10,000 in debt total, between Great Lakes and SUO. I am only just now finding out that they lost their accreditation. I have also just now found out that quite possibly they didn't refund the unused balance to Great Lakes. If anyone is doing a class action lawsuit- I want to join please! I will be seeing about a personal attorney in the meantime. Just run the other direction. Seriously. RUN.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2017

I have read so many awful reviews of South University that it almost had me in tears wanting to quit. However, I have never had any issues getting in touch with any of my advisors. I have had no issues with financial aid. I just completed my BSN and I am starting the FNP program next week. I have spoken to MANY current students who have also had no issues and are almost ready for graduation or who have recently graduated and pass their exam.

Original review: July 22, 2017

I graduated from South University with my BSN, which for the most part was o.k. but the online FNP program is self taught. Let me warn potential students. There is no support or teaching with this school. I am currently enrolled in the nurse practitioner program and it has been a nightmare. Advanced pharmacology and pathophysiology with no instruction. It's read the book then take a test. I could have done this independently. Second problem is the cost. Classes were expensive at almost 1600 a class. In midstream tuition cost changed to per semester, making the classes almost 2400 a class. You only take one class at a time so they consider this a semester. There is no one to talk to. No live person to get on the phone but you can leave a message.

Lastly, the most difficult part of the practitioner program is arranging clinicals. Students arrange their own clinicals and there is no one to ask for help. I have tried several times to reach a live person and have to pretend I'm a new student. I am currently waiting to hear back from the clinical team if my clinical proposal will be accepted and I have 4 days left before the semester starts. If it's not approved I will have to wait another 3 months. I warn everyone to do their research. Look for a school that is supportive and wants you to excel and not just take your money.

Original review: May 16, 2017

Let's keep it simple. The Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice is 180 credits!!! That's totally unacceptable as it relates to an academic experience and is totally established as an institutional practice to increase revenue. Standard BS and BA programs, both online and on-ground, at the majority of universities across the country are 120 credits. The additional 60 credits at their online undergraduate tuition is designed to provide a decent profit for them. Plus, there are a ton of programs across the country that will give credit for degree-relevant work experience. This allows students to leave college with a fully accredited bachelor's degree for as few as 70 hours of classroom instruction. I had a significant academic and financial investment in the Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice before I figured this little jewel out. Don't make the same mistake I did. There are far better options than South University these days.

Original review: May 9, 2017

I have worked as a medical assistant for 23 years, prior to starting South University. I was told when I began and only reason I enrolled that I could get my associates in nursing. Once enrolled told it was an Allied Health and Science degree, which in turn will help me enter into my bachelor of nursing. I qualified for full maximum amount for Pell Grant and then remainder in student loans. Over the course of 2 years, I had 5 financial advisers, and questioned each of them as to the charges on my account. Classes that transferred to South University and I was being charged for them, then the classes I did take were charged numerous times. My ledger is ridiculously not accurate, nor easy to follow.

My academic counselor was amazing, Megan **!! And I did have a handful of exceptional professors and have personal contact with them now. I finished with a 3.89 GPA, when I graduated March 8, 2017. I have not received my diploma nor can I get a transcript. I have a balance of $524 on my account that they are harassing me daily about, which includes $125 graduation fee (I am not attending the commencement service as I live in Texas). So I have questioned what is the $125 for, my diploma which they won't send me because I have a balance. In all actuality, I have sat down, and with a fine tooth comb went over my ledger, charges, Pell Grant money and student loan money, South University owes me over $3000.

I have been calling now for 2 weeks, to the supervisor of financial aid Matt, no return phone call. Today I called the director of financial aid and left a message. If I do not get a return call by tomorrow evening, I will proceed to an attorney, report them to the student loan services, and multiple other sites to help stop them overcharging, manipulating, and not fulfilling their portion on my education with my transcript and diploma. DO NOT attend South University!!!

Original review: April 24, 2017

I gave this school one star because zero wasn't an option. In 2015 I enrolled in the RN to BSN program, big mistake. I completed all of my courses however I was constantly harassed by the Financial Department. I made my monthly payments, but they somehow always added in new charges. They even tried to charge me for a cap and gown although I made it clear that I would not be walking across the stage. Fast forward to now and I receive a call from a collections agency (I have STELLAR credit) reporting that I have a debt to South. Mind you, no one at South University including Megan **, who was my financial advisor, is able to explain why. I have even requested to speak to Megan's supervisor but to no avail. I have had calls asking me to pursue the NP program, but I absolutely will not. This school does not care about the students, only about money. Steer clear of this school at all costs or you will have serious regrets.

Original review: April 22, 2017

This place is the WORST!!! One day these morons called me and offered jobs but a little later it turned into school crap that I did not need. I told them I wasn't ready to go back to school and they did not listen at all! Next thing I knew a woman signs me up for classes and I try to tell her that I'm NOT ready to go back! She didn't listen, it goes in one ear and out the other! (I wanted to continue with my graphic design and get my bachelor's degree.)

So fast forward 6 days later and my friend calls me just to chat and he tells me what this school would do to me if I stayed. My friend told me to drop out that same day or I would be screwed, so I did. I never looked back and if I ever go back I will choose a better college that offers me what I ask for. South University is just a college that wants your hard earned money and then fill you with LIES!!!

Original review: April 15, 2017

This is a scam school. When you are in your general courses for a four year degree, it may not seem like it at first. However, once you are in your major's curriculum, everything changes. The teachers won't teach you anything. You are expected to read at least 90 pages per chapter and 3 chapters at a time within 3 days, and if you're full-time then add more chapters (often 3 or more) on top of that. Once in your majors' curriculum, the teachers that are suppose to teach the material, but they do not. On the class page they usually stick with the easier topics and want you to download some recommended software. But once they are asked questions on "questions for the professor", they do not explain the answer. It's as if they don't even read the books they recommend you.

Also, the assignments they give you are outdated, recycled and have errors, so often you can't make heads or tails of the assignment and you are left to turning in an assignment and assuming what the teacher meant. Then there are the advisers. They will call you maybe once a month and if they don't call you, they send you an email that's just incoherent. And don't expect to get a call and get in touch with your adviser or get a call back in a timely manner. You can leave a message and will maybe get a call in a couple weeks, at their convenience because there is no sense of urgency. The adviser has changed my schedule twice already and it looks like they may have again, putting me behind even further on my expected graduation date. So, after I finish these classes that I am enrolled in, I am going to leave and I recommend that if you are reading this that you go somewhere else because this school is a scam.

Finally, an even more convincing reason is the tuition. When you are going for 4 years it will amount to $60,000 or lots more and you won't graduate any sooner than anyone else going to a cheaper more reliable school. Matter of fact, you go year round with no breaks and don't graduate any quicker. The school’s website is horrible. You'd expect that they would be able to create a decent user experience based off of how much money they make. But the website is always down and the ebooks are always having problems. This school is horrible and there is a special place in ** for whoever is involved in leading this scam school.

Original review: April 11, 2017

South University was the first job I worked at right out of college. I had a friend that worked there and got me a job. They train you well, to be honest, it was the best training I ever received but I quickly learned why. They tell you in training that the school is accredited and if the students are doing what they are told then they will make it through. They give you the tools they sell the education and you buy the lie that you are helping people. As I entered into the role of Admissions Representative my goal was to help people. I worked so hard for my education and it meant a lot to be and I wanted to help others do the same. The longer I was there, the more I realized I worked at a call center and I was a salesman. I stopped trying to sign people up. instead, I would be completely honest and transparent with them. This was frowned upon but I did not care. My integrity meant more to me than my job.

I stayed there for under a year because I needed the paycheck and they do pay well but I didn't sign anyone up for months unless they knew exactly what they were getting themselves into. Finally, I waited for the buyout. if you don't perform the way they want you to, you can either take the buy out or you have 30 days to get your numbers up. The buyout is worth about a month's pay. I needed that to support myself while I searched for a new job. I took the buyout and I told them I was embarrassed to work for them.

I hadn't signed anyone up on purpose. Most people were kind about it and they understood. To be honest I think some of them felt the same way, they just didn't stand up the way I did. Others buy into the lie and feed into it as well. I am glad that I do not work there anymore and I am always doing my best to help those who are looking for an education and steering them in the direction of their local community colleges and state universities. Stay away from for Profit Online Schools.

Original review: March 16, 2017

I said I was unable to start until July. I'm unable to retrieve my mom's tax information for FAFSA application for 2016-2017. Also, I'd get a better Pell grant because I'd be an Independent. My Admissions representative refused to accept that as an answer. She has me tell her manager my story, and the financial aid advisor. Each asking questions more personal. They get paid the same whenever I start. The financial aid advisor requested to speak to my mom. (I'm 24. It's none of his business.) I called my Admissions representative back. Told her I felt violated by the personal questions, and her refusal to listen, I asked to have my application withdrawn. She didn't even apologize. Also, when the first time I called her, she put me on hold for 5 minutes, after our conversation started.

Original review: March 8, 2017

I took 3 classes. I received zero credits. I was told (practically guaranteed a nursing) from a sleepy salesman who had told me I won a scholarship. I was vulnerable and going through a divorce at the time. I learned the hard way about signing my name to documents over the Internet. I felt cheated and scammed right away but there was nothing I could do. Now they are garnishing my wages at work. I still don't have a degree. I'm working for minimum wage. This place sucks.

Original review: March 2, 2017

I started my NP at South University in 2014. I was harassed daily via telephone to enter by the admission advisor when I was hesitant to do so. I finally did and my academic advisor was after the first semester, when I was a "pain" to be nonexistent. I never heard back from the original recruiter. The courses were quite overloaded with material and 11 weeks was too short for the volume expected. I was successful. The classes are poorly written as well. The practicums were a nightmare.

This university expects the student to download all their paperwork, find suitable practicum sites within your state, yes a background check (not horrible but you pay for it upfront along with a drug test). Let me start with the drug test. The lab they wanted me to go to was over 4 hours ride one way. Seriously. One way. I had to argue the point. Won that one, but the students have to have them done yearly as per GA SBON rules, as I live in ME, why? ME SBON does not require this and I am not practicing in GA.

Practicum sites, after calling over 55 sites, not finding one, had to drive almost 3 hours one way for practicum sessions 2/3 times a week. Paperwork for said sites is a nightmare, lest you upload them incorrectly, to the wrong person (they don't talk to each other), or better yet, they have a site for this process. The student has to submit double paperwork as well, all going to the same person, via their school site and fax machine from the practice. I had no access after the first practicum. Now that was fun, and told them over and over, and over and over, I have all the emails, including the academic advisor too, who evidently does not read his email, or only the ones he chooses?

The student arranges it all, everything. They do absolutely nothing to assist the student and basically tough luck. They don't care. If you don't submit paperwork, takes them a week to respond, they pull you from classes, you lose your financing, and on it goes. They accept absolutely no responsibility for remaining understaffed, herding students through the practicum process like a bunch of sheep, it is just wrong! They are one of the most dis-reputable FOR PROFIT schools I have encountered. They demonstrate no ethics or veracity in their business dealings. They should be fully investigated and shut down. They are profiting from student loans and sending bills to students after the fact.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2017

I was studying at this school for a year until dropped out my class due to a professor who treated students from different nationalities different to those who were born here. The academic counselor support was never received. This school is just about getting your money and then let you on your own. They introduce new software programs the same week of the assignments without previous preparation leading to low grades. For the NP program, they do not help you to find your preceptors, and overload students with material that do not increase learning in contrast reduce it.

I had a professor who brought her past experience to class as a threat and made two to three students to quit their class. She embarrassed students in common classroom discussion, directly made inappropriate comments about former students in my class mentioning about those students' experiences in a negative way, not to mention about the bad attitude toward ** students in her class. This is my experience, and I recommend those from other nationalities not to take classes with Dr. ** at South University.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2017

My experience with South University was bad and they suck at telling the truth big time. I was enrolled in two classes and only passed one of them. And the teachers for each class were not good at all.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2016

After reading most of the posts the general consensus is that South University IS FRAUDULENT. Now, after evaluating my personal experience I can honestly and confidently say, "They are right!!!" The entire post section about this school is all basically the saying the same thing. This school is quick with the pen and even faster with their words. The admissions are very friendly but do not fully explain everything.

My story (short version) went for one class for 4 weeks. Did fine then started my second class. Due to issues with the class and advisor I decided to drop the first week of the second class however unaware that because I was counted as present for the first week I would be charged $1,140.00. I contacted my financial advisor. He said he would look into it and call me back the following day around the same time. I am still waiting on that call back. We all know how that will go. If a class is $1,700.00 how does one week equal out to $1,200.00 bucks and if someone says a credit hour is $400 an hr then why is the first week so expensive?!?! Especially if I am not even using these credit hours! For the money you might as well go to Harvard! Very disappointed in the educational system for allowing this type of institution to continue this way. It's clear that something is very wrong here.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2016

Say you never read the reviews because you started 5 years ago in a 5 year criminal justice program. Pretend you were recently nearly homeless and desperate to change your situation, so you are on federal grants and loans, which you are told would cover the entire cost (estimated at $30k). Then you graduate, with more than $50k in loans. Now you are told you owe the university $900 to get your diploma because the loans didn't cover everything. So you get on a payment plan. Then, suddenly, with almost no notice, you are supposed to come up with an additional $1600 (over $2000 you now owe to the school) before you can get that diploma or official transcript. And it's 2 weeks 'till Christmas and you have kids and no job. No job because you graduated in November and haven't gotten any interviews yet, in spite of applying daily to multiple jobs.

I can't get a GOOD job because I don't have transcripts that show I graduated with a 3.95 GPA, with highest honors. I can't pay this off without a job. See where I'm sort of out of luck here? No transcripts means no job means no ability to pay for the transcripts. It's a vicious circle. I can't believe an institution that promised career services and job placement now wants SO MUCH MONEY from me while I'm trying to find employment (without career services help because it's a straight-up JOKE there).

Get out while you can. Take the financial risk and transfer out of this school. I was NOT aware of the problems because I never had one until I tried to graduate after jumping through all the classes and learning everything for myself because it really is self-directed learning. Instructors guide you a little, but most of them are juggling several online classes and don't have time to explain anything. You get points off for APA mistakes, but not for plagiarism. It's true - I complained of a fellow student copy/pasting something and *I* was the one who was made to look like the fool somehow. It was beyond horrific. I worked HARD for this degree. I did the work and studied my butt off to learn without instruction, and now I'm faced with hardships because the university won't work with me, but will take me to collections and court. I would NEVER recommend South University Online. It's an absolute joke.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2016

I am in my last semester at South University starting in 2 weeks. Every class has been a fight tooth and nail for consistency and assistance. Professors don't read responses and give perfect scores for pitiful work one semester, the next semester they doc you a point for this and that, then won't tell you what exactly you did wrong. Admin personnel don't hear your concerns and say whatever it takes to pacify you.

The practicum process is as close to impossible as it can get without actually being undoable. No wonder the pass rate is so low. The board pass rate is high, but only because you have to be stubborn and determined to make it through this gauntlet of a process. They lose your paperwork, send out ridiculous demands at the last moment before deadlines, and do next to nothing to assist the student in reaching the goals. This past two years has been one frustration after another. I will NEVER recommend this school to anyone!! With God's help I will be done with them in 90 days!! DON'T DO IT!!

Original review: Nov. 9, 2016

I attended South University, Cleveland for a year and a half before being admitted into the Physical Therapist Program. I maintained a 4.0 GPA and was assured I would be successful in the program. There were 21 of the best students accepted into the program at the beginning of the program, and by the time the first semester was over, there were only 14 left. This was not because the program was too difficult. These top students were used to difficult classes. The head of the program, also the professor, was unprofessional, unfair, and taught with intimidation. The ridiculous and unrealistic assignments he administered made it virtually impossible for many of the students to be successful.

After losing many great students, the professor adjusted his grading style to allow the remaining students to get through the semester. South University gets you into the PTA program, takes your money (which is 3 times more that other schools), and does nothing to help you be successful in the program. If you are thinking about earning an Associates Degree in the PTA program from South University, Cleveland, please reconsider! There is a big chance you will not make it through the program, and you will not know it until it is too late - they already have your money. They are a rip-off, scam school.

Original review: Oct. 31, 2016

I wish I had chosen a different school. Be prepared for a bad online experience. You do all your own teaching. The instructors only grade your assignments and offer no teaching whatsoever. They are not usually Ph.d. and do not know what they are doing themselves. They are more concerned with technicalities than you learning anything. Also it is apparently alright for students to simply copy and paste their entire assignments straight from websites and turn that in as their own work. If you report it you are the one they are mad at, not the student cheating because they want the money. You won't learn anything here and I don't think your degree will mean anything either.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2016

Attended South University Virginia beach, VA. My classmates was the best part of my time in school. I met so many good people. However, when it comes about learning experience some of the instructors were really vague about giving information. Then the online assignments were a little challenging. The instructor will place a question that would only have an answer but when you submitted the website will warned you about plagiarism. That was almost unavoidable, especially when it comes to definitions of terms or describing procedures. I had to talked to my professor and academic dean about that topic several times. Nothing did happened. However, it was an ok experience. I did learn it just issues with submitting paperwork and a few staff members that were not as good teaching as others.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2016

When I started this school in August of 2015, everyone there seemed to be very interested in you and kept in contact with you. As time goes on the concern grows less & less. When you call you find out that your counselors & advisers are no longer there, they have been changed and you are never notified of any changes. I have actually had to call and demand to speak to management or administration to get my contacts to call me back. I once sent an email to an address that I happened to find online & within minutes I had all kind of people calling me back. You really have to stand up to these people or they will just push you over.

Just today I was put in a class with another teacher that when you make a post all she does is ask the same question to every student. I immediately called my adviser & told her to remove me from that class & place me in another class. I told her I had already been in a class where the teacher did this & it is not a learning experience when a teacher posts the same questions to every student, to me this is lazy on the teacher's part. My adviser tried to persuade me to talk to her. I told her, "No." I have tried talking to these Professors before & the ones like that try to make you look stupid & I was not having it. I told her if she couldn't make it happen that I needed to speak to management. It happened. Just beware before you enroll into this University...

South University Company Information

www.southuniversity.edu

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business