Savannah, GA

3.9/5 (129 ratings)

About South University

South University Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about South University?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about South University?

Original review: June 2, 2022

I have been going to South University for a year after having to start here when Independence University closed. My experience started from subpar and has gradually just become horrible. There is nothing personal about any of the classes and the instructors seem to only be there to post copy and pasted responses and not help with anything if you’re struggling. There are no lectures, only readings, and if you ask for additional explaining after reading the material, they will just refer you back to the reading. There is little to no flexibility with personal life.

In the past three months I have had a lot of personal issues and when trying to get help so I can still retain the material and pass the class, I was ignored and have so far failed two classes. I asked to withdraw for a term and was confirmed by my advisor that I would be able to. Turns out that wasn’t the case and now I have a third F on the way. Overall, this school seems like they are just here for the paycheck. Trying to get any kind of help is like pulling teeth, and if anyone knows any colleges with a greater than 4% graduation rate that will take their credits, let me know.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2022

I've been attending this school online since 2017 and I have 3 months left of classes before completing my Bachelor’s degree. Yesterday out of nowhere, I get kicked out of my current classes. I have been contacting my advisor (who was changed twice during my attendance here) and for 3 weeks I have not heard from her, I emailed whoever she put to contact on her absence, no one responds, I called, left voicemails to 5 different individuals and sent emails, I get no response, it's been 3 weeks, and now that apparently I've been kicked out and I am no longer a student (according to the site) having 3 months left to finish.

I just don't understand why no one is willing to contact me back or give me assistance as to why I've been kicked out for no reason and no warning, but yet, my student loans are high because they were making me get financial aid PLUS I had to pay on the side for 2 different loans they had for me to continue attending school and it's an estimate of $700 per month PLUS whatever I have to pay after I finish school which is over $50K in student loans. I just have no idea what is going on, and seeing other reviews in different sites including BBB site that the school has done the same to students, really disappoints me and honestly I am not sure what to do. Is suing them possible? Making a complaint? Getting refunded? Is this school a joke??

Get buying tips about Online Colleges delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 11, 2021

This school is very good on your lower level classes but once you hit your program that’s when the scam begins. I have read the others reviews and it’s a shame that the ones who finished this program are willing to support this robbery. The professor gave us 16 chapters to read and none of info was even on the test. This is just one example. Impossible curriculum to pass. This is not a NP preparing, this is a scam. How long can they run this game. Look at all these dreamers that was hurt by this program. Ow yeah of course they have to have a few years of letting some token students pass just so they can come on these reviews and support this nonsense. If there is any agency that want the truth and can do something about it do a surprise investigation and then that will shut up the token who brag on this scam. End of story.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2021

I attended South for a year and was dismissed out of nowhere. My academic counselor switched twice within that year and then I was told my GPA dropped to a 1.0, but I have held a 4.0 since April at CTU??

Original review: July 13, 2021

I was going to South University for a year and half. I struggled because I moved to another state then I was sick. I picked up and brought my grades and GPA up. Then out of nowhere without warning I was dropped due to my actions last year and beginning of this year. I finally was told why I was dropped. I then was told I could appeal but it may not get approved. So I withdrew and I am starting a different college. One who will appreciate struggles and keep you up to date if things are not going well. I was very upset of how things were handled. I was being punished for something that happened a year ago. It wasn't fair at all.

Original review: May 6, 2021

It started out okay getting signed up but during my first courses it was so confusing just trying to figure out everything (and it did not help that I was a young mother with no actual help from the father, my ex-husband). Needless to say I fell behind and was dropped from the course, no warning. Just went to sign in and my class was gone, so I reached out to my counselor (called and emailed) and it took them forever to get back to me. Then the same thing happened on my next course. I cant entirely blame that on the school. That was just my life at the time and the confusion of how to do everything again. However, I never got re-enrolled because I couldn't get a hold of anyone.

Then almost a year and a half to 2 years later when I was getting ready to have my second child, they reached out to me and wanted me to start back up and I really wanted to as well because I wanted to have a good job eventually and provide for my kids. I did ask them to wait until things were settled after the birth but they told me no that we would have to start immediately. Upon starting again, I still had my previous work from the classes I was dropped from. Well I turned that work in and apparently I was PLAGIARIZING MYSELF! And they kicked me from the class again. I explained it to the professor that it was my own work and she didn't care, she said I had to ask permission to use work that I had previously done. I've never heard of someone plagiarizing themself! Obviously I did the work, I should be able to give myself permission!

I mean the assignment was exactly the same, I didn't see a point in trying to do it again. And once again trying to get ahold of my counselor was ridiculous. Phone tag while I'm working during the day and emails that just say sorry they missed me but to give them a call, which they never answer! I did eventually get into the next class but I ended up failing during moving because my husband at the time and I were separating. The professor at that time didn't help me when I asked and didn't give me any additional time to do the work even though I was completely honest with them about what the situation was. They were remorseless that things were beyond my control but I was still trying to do everything I needed.

I ended up with over $2000 worth of student loan debt with absolutely nothing to show for it and then they had the nerve to send me emails about me owing them money! They owe me for wasting my time, getting kicked out of classes when I shouldn't have been and their lack of regard that we are real people with real lives. Also, my wages ended up being garnished and my income taxes taken to pay for the student loans I didn't get to use!!! For all that is good in the world, please do NOT go to this school. With the other reviews I've read here too, this school ought to be considered a scam!

Original review: Feb. 16, 2021

You email your academic counselor and nobody emails you back and then you call his supervisor and nobody calls back. This is a poor organized school. They want to see you fail just to take the class over. Poor communication. The only thing they are worried about is collecting their money. They will call you about that but not about the classes you are taking. I would not recommend this school to anybody.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2020

I just recently attended the FNP Program and completed the track. Everything seemed very organized from the beginning. I thought the entrancing and process was very organized. After that it downhill. The professors, I think try too hard at making the program more difficult than it really needs to be. I spent a lot of time for each course trying to figure out where the weekly reading were coming from because chapters or page numbers were never included in the syllabus. Only partial titles would be given for the readings which made it time consuming just trying to organize studying. The Map/country grid for preceptors are a joke. Many of the locations, never heard of the school. It was so difficult trying to locate preceptors that I had to sit out twice trying to locate a preceptor willing to take me.

Each semester I felt it was like reinventing the wheel regarding trying to figure out my study plan. Then Covid hit which made a very organized program that much more frustrating for students. I tried to be very understanding but many times I was being told different information by multiple administrators which made it very frustrating. Thank God for emails. I kept every email correspondence. That was my saving grace.

After completing the program, so I thought, July 6, 2020. I was told that they were missing patient contact hours in their system from over a year and a half ago. Obviously a glitch. It took them over a week to get it correct. I had to go back and dig through all my documents and enter all the patient encounters back in the system. It took them over 2 weeks to finalize. Finally on August 3, I received an email stating that I completed the program. I was happy. Virtual graduation around the corner right. No, wrong!!!

Somehow, someone enter my completion date in incorrectly and I will not be graduating as I thought. I'm so devastated. I have worked so hard over the past 2 years and now being denied graduation. They are telling me that there is nothing that they can do. It's less than a week before graduation and I have to cancel the celebration that I had planned to view the graduation with family and friends. Thanks a lot South University for ruining my momentous occasion that I will never get back. Thanks for nothing.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2020

I graduated in 2010 and I had the best experience from student services and academic team. Student services was great from the beginning until I graduated. The academic team was very supportive. I will return for my MBA.

Original review: July 18, 2020

You have no right to tell me my schoolwork is more important than my son. Who mind you was in ICU. And when I was in communication with my counselors you still have the nerve to make my son health less important. This has pissed me off. I'm sorry but if you're going to make me choose. Bring it. I have no problem choosing another school. Not to mention I have asked you to stop calling me because the hospital will make me leave and with this pandemic I won't be allowed back in. And guess what you continue calling me and telling to log in or else. Excuse me. Nope.

South University Company Information