Online learning at it's best

Online learning at it's best

General Assembly's affordable options for today's top careers

Find your course

132 South University Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 27, 2019

It is unfortunate that South University has so many negative reviews posted. All readers should keep in mind that South University has multiple campuses and although one site may have had difficulties with there financial aid departments that is not the case for every campus. I attend South University at the Richmond Virginia campus and will graduate from there FNP program in March 2020. Having completed 2/3 of the program I will attest that it prepares you for the national certification examination. It is not an easy program, I have had no surprises either with my classes or my financial aid.

My professors have been wonderful and when "life happened" adequate alternatives were offered to help me with my studies. Anyone who has looked into the FNP program is aware that each student needs to pass the PPP examination prior to starting NSG6420. This is not an easy exam, you have two attempts if you are not successful after remediation you are dismissed from the program. As one other writer stated you get out of what you put into the program. I have degrees from The George Washington University and a state college and would say that they are no better than South University. I looked into the NP programs at Duke university, ODU and VCU and I didn't see any difference in the programs. All of the programs have the students find there own clinical sites so that was no big surprise at South University.

I know students in the BSN program at South University and one thing I can say without a doubt is that our students get a lot of clinical hours. Our students do well in their clinical rotations and the nursing staff frequently ask for their return. Richmond can boast a 100% first time pass rate for the NCLEX examination and our hiring rate is also exceptional. I have found over the years and have witnessed it in my FNP program that those students which are ill prepared and are not successful complain the most. Infrequently do they take personal responsibility for their own failure. They all want the participation trophy with little or no effort.

I have enjoyed my experience at South University, it was the perfect arrangement for me and my family and I am very confident that I will be successful as a FNP. My professors were attentive and caring and the ancillary departments such as financial aid were always available to assist me. Don't judge a book by its cover or by what others may say. Do your own homework before enrolling at any university and be prepared to do the work!

Original review: June 26, 2019

After having to stop my classes due to Argosy closing, I was a bit uncertain as to who I could get the best continuing education from. I was a bit disappointed that when I left Argosy I had only three classes left to graduate. Since enrolling in the new school I have five classes to graduation. I look at it like this, no matter what I will graduate and I am sure to learn something new. I think my admissions advisor is amazing. She has been making sure I am completely comfortable with the transfer. My first class has been a great success and my instructor is amazing. I do not buy into all the negative comments. I think you get out of this what you are willing to put into it. Thanks South University for picking up us Argosy students and helping us make a smooth transfer. MW

Get expert buying tips about Online Colleges delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

If one reads all the negative reviews, there seems to be a common thread of "personal problems" and the like. My experience with the online program was excellent. My wife and I both enrolled in the RN to BSN program at the same time. We were given a map of the classes we would need from start to finish and it never deviated. I did not encounter any problems with classwork or instructors, and took the max load of two classes at a time and finished in just over a year with a 3.95. My wife went on to immediately continue in their FNP program and has been satisfied with it, as well. One needs to be a disciplined, driven student to complete these types of online classes. Life does happen, but why would anyone expect the school to bend over backward because of it? Do your due diligence before attending any school, and read all the fine print to prevent "surprises" later on. Very happy with South University. SUO, BSN 2017.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

Reasons I chose South University:

1. Ability to start classes immediately after submitting all required documents.
2. Did not have to take the GRE.

3. Susan **, SU representative I spoke with on multiple occasions, is a good salesperson.

In 2018 I began classes at South University (SU) in the AGNP program. I knew that the program was accelerated. An accelerated program requires you to read hundreds of pages of text weekly. Too much to retain. My first two classes at SU, I received letter grades “A.” My third class, Pathophysiology, I studied 60 hours a week. My first quiz I knew the class was going to be next to impossible to pass. The textbook to begin with is awful. Very unorganized and systems just run-on together. As I mentioned, hundreds of pages to read weekly. The test did not compare well at all with the content. Some questions, I had no idea what was being asked. Very poor questions and test bank. This, even with a study guide.

I am an “A-B” student. I asked for help during this course, asked for my tests to be reviewed for test bank accuracy, and was told that I could not review my quizzes or tests because “students in the past have cheated and shared the tests/answers online.” I was also told that students use online websites that reveal test questions and answers and was another reason I could not be helped. How was that my fault? I’m not a cheater. There was no way for me to correct what I got wrong on my quizzes for the mid-term and final, given I had no idea what I got wrong. I received a “C” in this course, which is not a passing grade.

I was going to have to retake the course. Once you are a student with SU and they have your money, you get absolutely NO assistance. I should have known better. I petitioned to have my quizzes and tests reviewed but was not given any help. I was 1.5 points away from the needed passing grade of a “B.” I have no doubt I would have made at least a “B” in this course had my request been fulfilled to review. This online school basically is “on your own.” Others are stating they have had great experiences. I’m guessing they had teachers who really care about education and not about just getting student’s money.

I am currently enrolled at a local university where I received my bachelor’s degree. I should have stayed with my first choice. The only reason I didn’t was because I wanted to start the program right away and not have to wait 6 months. I wish I had waited. I would be done now. My suggestion to everyone considering this online university, do yourself a favor and wait to be accepted at your local college. It will be cheaper, and you will be receiving your degree from a more prestigious college. SU has had some legal issues recently. You can google to research. When students from SU say they are just doing what they have to do to get through and “forgetting” what they have learned, there is a problem with this program.

Had those I asked for help from actually helped me, it is possible I could have passed this course even with the terrible textbook and terrible question test bank. My biggest issue was in not getting assistance when I asked for it. Anyone spending THOUSANDS of dollars with an institution, especially an educational institution, should be afforded the respect and proper assistance of guidance and help. One last note, like all of you are doing now, I read the bad reviews and still took a chance. My mistake.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

They make you believe you will finish in 3 yrs but that’s not true and you will run out of financial aid before you finish and will have to pay an outrageous amount of money. I had 5 classes to get my degree and ran out of financial aid. They never told me this when I enrolled. They are about MONEY. ONLY.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about South University?

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

I’m in so much debt attending South University. I was told I could complete the RN BSN degree in 3 years and the whole course would cost 52,000. With just one class needed to enter the nursing program I was told the class wasn’t offered on campus. I was told to take it online. I never took a online course before. I was offered no assistance in how to summit paperwork, where certain assignments was and failed the course. Told by my advisor to go to the library for help and pay more money. By the way for 2 1/2 years received no money back and always had to pay every month. I’m knee deep in debt for taking none nursing courses. They were doing a lot of people wrong, and I was not able to transfer because they would not give me my transcripts.

Original review: July 30, 2019

I graduated from SU 7-10-19 with my MSN-AGPCNP. While I passed my ANCC certification quickly in 1 attempt, I give the staff at SU zero credit. The instructors appear bothered by any question or concern a student has, the advisers tend to say that there is nothing they can do and apologize for the school (if they get back to you) and NO ONE ever wants to take any accountability. The online classroom-BrightSpace, is full of errors and more time is spent passing the buck than addressing issues. I am transgender. Was frequently misgendered and addressed inappropriately. If you're thinking about SU, think again. I urge you to look at other schools before committing your time and money to this operation.

Original review: June 26, 2019

I transferred to SU because Argosy University shut its doors due to STEALING stipend checks from their students. NOW I am having a hard time trusting SU!!! They have exceeded the 21 days they said I had to wait and be patient for before anything could be done about the status of where my stipend is. Every day I am getting the runaround (IF I even get someone to talk to!) It is SO obvious that in their emails and over the phone, they are reviewing scripts on how to address these issues. I was told two days ago that my stipend was being sent to me with priority- yet when I reached out to them today - I am being told there is NO new information since the LAST WEEK. I have a hard time coming to grips with the fact the school has been paid their money, yet they are not giving students THEIR stipend.

Original review: May 9, 2019

This school is for profit only. They don’t care about students being successful. The professors provide zero assistance. The counselors appear to read from a script and if you ask any questions that aren’t on the script they are lost. Please beware and search for a school & program that actually cares about you and not out for you to fail the program so they can make more money. I’m so surprised this school hasn’t been shut down by now. Their Family Nurse Practitioner program is a joke. No one will assist you in finding preceptors even if you have contacted 60+ providers in your area. This is one of the WORST PROGRAMS I’ve ever attended. Choose wisely where you attend school, they are money hungry leaches.

Original review: April 1, 2019

This is the worst college to ever attend, and my experience at this school was terrible. First, the teachers crammed information daily, about 100 Powerpoint slides and you’re tested twice a week. The teachers were very unapproachable and extremely unhelpful. I also felt that some teachers were extremely racist and only helped favorites, so we were forced to do a lot of work with minimal guidance. The teachers used intimidation tactics during class which created a stressful learning environment and made it very hard to learn and focus.

Also, at the end of quarter the teachers played with grades for whom they wanted and their favorites throughout the year. Also, most of the decent professors are in Savannah, and most of your classes are on a screen where you press a button to ask questions. The technology is very outdated and malfunction most of the time, which takes time away from the instruction and causes confusion. Financial aid was a different monster. We received incorrect information and the financial aid person for the pharmacy program was active military so when we went to answer questions we never received an answer, and no phone calls were returned. She was also very rude and when asked questions she seemed to not want to answer and provided incorrect rushed answers.

South University Company Information