1.55/5
Based on 114 reviews that contain star ratings

Savannah, GA

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

119 South University Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

If one reads all the negative reviews, there seems to be a common thread of "personal problems" and the like. My experience with the online program was excellent. My wife and I both enrolled in the RN to BSN program at the same time. We were given a map of the classes we would need from start to finish and it never deviated. I did not encounter any problems with classwork or instructors, and took the max load of two classes at a time and finished in just over a year with a 3.95. My wife went on to immediately continue in their FNP program and has been satisfied with it, as well. One needs to be a disciplined, driven student to complete these types of online classes. Life does happen, but why would anyone expect the school to bend over backward because of it? Do your due diligence before attending any school, and read all the fine print to prevent "surprises" later on. Very happy with South University. SUO, BSN 2017.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

I have been a part-time student in the online MPA program for a little over a year. I enjoy my classes and interaction with instructors. I have good contact with my admissions and enrollment counselors as well as my finance counselor. Until this week. I'm actually on my final course of my degree this term. This week something is different. I cannot get hold of anyone. Emails aren't returned. My financial aid posted late and I have not received any information about my stipend. I learned that the entire Arizona online support staff was terminated which supposedly is where my counselors worked. This is a part of some buyout and change of for profit to non-profit status. I'm just trying to find out is the university closing, should I keep logging in and doing my work, what's going on with my financial aid. Anyone a current student and know anything?

Get expert buying tips about Online Colleges delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

So I started at South University January 2016 in the Nursing program. I was making my monthly payment for about 2 or 3 months straight (barely making it) after that I struggled with keeping and finding a decent paying job to keep up with my personal bills as well as school. I finished the first semester and set out summer and I think fall of that year because it was too stressful to pay monthly with very limited income, and that’s if I had any. I went back in the winter, after paying 20% of what was owed for that 1 semester (mind you they were paid via Financial aid as well).

Went through that semester with the same dilemma when it came to money and stuck it out to the summer and when I started back the FA guy had me sign a whole other contract adding my new monthly balance with my old and I was very upset and I showed it to him saying that makes no sense when I don’t have the money as is being a single mom and working for little to nothing, but of course he didn’t care because it’s about money and nothing else.

How can you focus on school when you have to worry about paying them every month? Fast forward to 2018, I had already planned on going back and spoke with the lady from FA and she told me I had to pay about 220 to start back and I was willing to do so, around tax time they decided to put it in collections and suddenly I owed them a little over $7,000 for pretty much nothing. Can you say inflation. I’m not paying $7,000 when each semester I took 2 classes each time (4 semesters) so what was my financial aid paying for?

Now I’m still getting calls from the collection agency and today the collector said that it’s been in collection since June of 2017, how when I never received anything saying it was and why were they still asking me to pay them for something that was given to a collection agency? I am now attending school for the same degree (bachelors) and I don’t have to pay a thing out of pocket at Strayer not to mention I get a refund back every quarter. Explain to me how one school offers the same degree in the same length of time and this school gives you money towards getting your degree at the end, while the other charges you out the tail to better your life making it difficult to focus on your school work.

Bottom line they do not have your best interest at heart and there is no reason for them to charge what they charge, you’re better off going to a historical college like Princeton or Yale for what they charge. They need to be held accountable financially and when it comes to their reputation. There should be a law against taking advantage of people trying to do better.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

This school is unethical and treats students so poorly. I am suing them for the abuses they have done to me and encourage anyone else to do the same. Join the fight against this schools treatment against students. It is appalling and beyond ethical to students and destroying our school systems. These schools caring only about taking our money and not the students. It's time for students to take back their rights and stop allowing this school to abuse their students. They expelled me for advocating against their wrongs. I was severely sick with tumors getting treatment in the hospital and what they put me through was so beyond inhumane.

They did the most abusive behavior to me while I was so sick in and out of consciousness being injected with chemicals in me and just gave me barely a minute to get out of the hospital before expelling me. They name called me. Said I was basically a disgrace because I was being treated in the hospital on medications the doctors were giving me for my tumors in my uterus. It was so distressing and this is representatives in the school doing this that represent disabilities and I was in a nurse practitioner program. They do not take care of their own but ridicule them when they are deathly ill. They do not care about you at all. It's a reason to find to get you out and take your money.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

I applied to South University after they said all my classes would transfer in to the FNP program. They literally had me into a class within 3 days of applying. HOWEVER, they did not inform me that there is no time off AT ALL! You actually get charged for taking off. I needed at least one week to just get back to my home in NC that was flooded during the hurricane and they began sending me emails that "I withdrew". I called every department which seemed to be readily available when signing up for classes but no one would return calls at all when you need to find out what is going on. The classes can be online but there are a few that is impossible to do online with no instruction. This is self-taught and their discussion groups is a joke. It has no test preparation involved at all. I would not recommend the program if I had to do it all over again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about South University?

Original review: June 21, 2018

I was in the BSN program in High Point North Carolina. I was kicked out after failing one class. The nursing program director allowed too many students into the program so they have started nitpicking to lower the amount of students in the program. I had three more months and will have to figure out how to start over. I'm in a massive amount of debt and cannot seem to get a phone call or email back from the nursing program director. Most programs will allow you to take a class over. She just doesn't care. She told us that we weren't likely to pass the NCLEX. That offends me because I know that I can pass the state test. Another student was told by the dean of academic affairs that she made too many c's in the program. They never told any of us that we had to make a's and b's, but now use this as an excuse to deny reinstatement. They also allowed other people back into the program who made c's. This is extremely unfair.

Really read about these schools before you attend. This school is way more expensive than most programs as well. The school tours will make everything seem amazing. I was paying $600 a month when I started the nursing program. They make you pay these large payments while taking a full load. DO NOT GO HERE! The nursing coordinator is also extremely rude to almost everyone and talks to you like you are trash. When I had to take a class that was taught by my nursing program director she never answered my email or taught. I had to teach myself in any classed that her or the nursing coordinator taught.

There was a lot of drama among the staff for the nursing program as well. I don't think students should know when someone has a problem with their secretary. THIS SCHOOL IS A WASTE OF MONEY. I WISH THAT I HAD READ REVIEWS BEFORE I WENT HERE! My Pell Grant is now maxed out and I don't know how I will pay all of this debt off working a low wage job. Please heed my warning.

Original review: May 2, 2018

I would recommend this program for many reasons. Raising 3 kids, moving between states, and not having patience to deal with technical difficulties, SU advisers/professors/and staff have been very accommodating and vested in students graduating and passing the state boards. I passed the boards, received a job offer today and will be working as a FNP in a couple weeks. The school is very affordable, and most of the instructors are excellent. You get what you put into it. Be prepared to find your own clinical rotations. The school works with you if you are having trouble.

Original review: April 19, 2018

Go somewhere else to get courses on English and Math. I wanted to become a Paralegal, was told it would only be 18 months, and $5,000 in total. I told my financial advisor that I was 52 yrs old and didn't have any income. I didn't have any classes for becoming a Paralegal just English and Math which I could have taken at my local vocational school for a lot less. I understand that English is important for becoming a Paralegal but all 18 months and $25,000 later? After I finished the 18 months I was told it would take me another 2 yrs to get my degree. Now they keep emailing me to come back.

Original review: March 27, 2018

Never attended because I was lied during the chat session. They told me the MBA was AACSB. I was happy to hear that but I had my doubts. So I did a quick Google search and found it was actually ACBSP. I asked the recruiter/advisor during the same chat session if she is sure it is AACSB? Because I just checked online and it says ACBSP. She apologized and said, "Yes it is actually ACBSP." This itself is a huge red flag, so no thanks.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

DO NOT ATTEND THIS UNIVERSITY. I was sweet-talked into enrolling in the BSN. I was told ALL of my credits DISCUSSED before enrollment were APPROVED and that I just needed to take a couple of more classes. After enrolling, they said to me that I needed to take more classes; in which case you have no option. Tried contacting counselors — referred me to registrars — referred me to director of the program... so on and so on, I did not get any help or resolution. My tuition for two classes was over $4,000, and THEY WILL NOT RELEASE YOUR TRANSCRIPTS. BEWARE OF THIS INSTITUTION.

South University Company Information

www.southuniversity.edu
Your special offer awaits

Looking to save time and money? Join our community today! Community members receive important consumer news alerts and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands they love. Ready to join?

Sign up now with your email address!

Join our community to recieve important consumer news and enjoy perks like discounts and special offers from brands you love.