Online learning at it's best

Online learning at it's best

General Assembly's affordable options for today's top careers

Find your course

South University Reviews

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

South University is an excellent option for those seeking to obtain a Nurse Practitioner licensing while working. You will have to work hard and stay on top of your assignments. It was a great experience. They have made many changes to prepare you for the certification exam and employment. I graduated from the MSN FNP program on 11/27/2019, took my certification exam on 1/8/2020 and passed the first time. I was prepared!!! Thank you, South University.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

If you are a student that likes being "spoon fed" information then this school is not for you. In actuality, you may not be prepared to join a masters program at all. At South, the program is designed to provide you with the foundations of being a Family Nurse Practitioner and then it is up to the student to dig deeper and immerse themselves in the culture. If you are not treating the program as a full time job, you will not succeed. Time requirements for the program were stated clearly in orientation and on initial meeting with the program director. Jean

Get expert buying tips about Online Colleges delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 27, 2019

It is unfortunate that South University has so many negative reviews posted. All readers should keep in mind that South University has multiple campuses and although one site may have had difficulties with there financial aid departments that is not the case for every campus. I attend South University at the Richmond Virginia campus and will graduate from there FNP program in March 2020. Having completed 2/3 of the program I will attest that it prepares you for the national certification examination. It is not an easy program, I have had no surprises either with my classes or my financial aid.

My professors have been wonderful and when "life happened" adequate alternatives were offered to help me with my studies. Anyone who has looked into the FNP program is aware that each student needs to pass the PPP examination prior to starting NSG6420. This is not an easy exam, you have two attempts if you are not successful after remediation you are dismissed from the program. As one other writer stated you get out of what you put into the program. I have degrees from The George Washington University and a state college and would say that they are no better than South University. I looked into the NP programs at Duke university, ODU and VCU and I didn't see any difference in the programs. All of the programs have the students find there own clinical sites so that was no big surprise at South University.

I know students in the BSN program at South University and one thing I can say without a doubt is that our students get a lot of clinical hours. Our students do well in their clinical rotations and the nursing staff frequently ask for their return. Richmond can boast a 100% first time pass rate for the NCLEX examination and our hiring rate is also exceptional. I have found over the years and have witnessed it in my FNP program that those students which are ill prepared and are not successful complain the most. Infrequently do they take personal responsibility for their own failure. They all want the participation trophy with little or no effort.

I have enjoyed my experience at South University, it was the perfect arrangement for me and my family and I am very confident that I will be successful as a FNP. My professors were attentive and caring and the ancillary departments such as financial aid were always available to assist me. Don't judge a book by its cover or by what others may say. Do your own homework before enrolling at any university and be prepared to do the work!

Original review: June 26, 2019

After having to stop my classes due to Argosy closing, I was a bit uncertain as to who I could get the best continuing education from. I was a bit disappointed that when I left Argosy I had only three classes left to graduate. Since enrolling in the new school I have five classes to graduation. I look at it like this, no matter what I will graduate and I am sure to learn something new. I think my admissions advisor is amazing. She has been making sure I am completely comfortable with the transfer. My first class has been a great success and my instructor is amazing. I do not buy into all the negative comments. I think you get out of this what you are willing to put into it. Thanks South University for picking up us Argosy students and helping us make a smooth transfer. MW

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

When I first got to the school I was very excited. I sat down with Jason who is the head of admissions, we went over a game plan to get me in school. I was informed to stay of track I needed a specific class. They gave me the website. They said if I complete it I would be able to start on time. I paid $150 to this online program and passed In two weeks. After doing so I went in and was informed my financial aid would not cover my full Tuition. Turns out it would cost me 600 a month. Which being a single mom of 3 and just going to school I am unable to pay that. This school doesn’t partner for scholarships and outside funding. I was very upset and Jason was keeping in touch to try and help get me into school. Well it’s been 2 months and now this school is dodging my calls and emails. I want my money back for the program. But nothing. I don’t recommend this school. They lie and cheat you!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about South University?

Original review: Dec. 23, 2019

Please do not attend this school. They steal your money, overcharge and then lie to you. They said my credits would transfer to AUM, they lied. I owe 80k in student loans for a degree I will not be able to use! Do not go to this school.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

I earned two degrees at South University, both a B.A. and M.P.A. After finishing school in 2015, I had a small balance. The balance was discharged in a Chapter 13 Bankruptcy. Recently, I re-enrolled at South University to begin a doctoral program. I was accepted into the program, signed up for courses, and my financial aid was processed. The night before classes were set to begin, I was contacted by the Director of Admissions and informed that I was "dismissed" from the university.

I then received a nasty email from the financial aid department, informing me that my previous balance, discharged through bankruptcy, was immediately due and my transcripts would be withheld until it is paid. South University has enrolled me for classes, after informing me that I am "dismissed," and they have applied to receive federal aid for said classes. Additionally, they insisted that I sign a re-payment agreement for a debt discharged in bankruptcy court. I called an attorney, he believes this was an elaborate plot to collect money for a debt discharged in bankruptcy court. South University had no intention of providing me with the classes they are still charging for. I am pursuing this both through the court system and local media outlets. Beware!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

Reasons I chose South University:

1. Ability to start classes immediately after submitting all required documents.
          2. Did not have to take the GRE.

3. Susan **, SU representative I spoke with on multiple occasions, is a good salesperson.

In 2018 I began classes at South University (SU) in the AGNP program. I knew that the program was accelerated. An accelerated program requires you to read hundreds of pages of text weekly. Too much to retain. My first two classes at SU, I received letter grades “A.” My third class, Pathophysiology, I studied 60 hours a week. My first quiz I knew the class was going to be next to impossible to pass. The textbook to begin with is awful. Very unorganized and systems just run-on together. As I mentioned, hundreds of pages to read weekly. The test did not compare well at all with the content. Some questions, I had no idea what was being asked. Very poor questions and test bank. This, even with a study guide.

I am an “A-B” student. I asked for help during this course, asked for my tests to be reviewed for test bank accuracy, and was told that I could not review my quizzes or tests because “students in the past have cheated and shared the tests/answers online.” I was also told that students use online websites that reveal test questions and answers and was another reason I could not be helped. How was that my fault? I’m not a cheater. There was no way for me to correct what I got wrong on my quizzes for the mid-term and final, given I had no idea what I got wrong. I received a “C” in this course, which is not a passing grade.

I was going to have to retake the course. Once you are a student with SU and they have your money, you get absolutely NO assistance. I should have known better. I petitioned to have my quizzes and tests reviewed but was not given any help. I was 1.5 points away from the needed passing grade of a “B.” I have no doubt I would have made at least a “B” in this course had my request been fulfilled to review. This online school basically is “on your own.” Others are stating they have had great experiences. I’m guessing they had teachers who really care about education and not about just getting student’s money.

I am currently enrolled at a local university where I received my bachelor’s degree. I should have stayed with my first choice. The only reason I didn’t was because I wanted to start the program right away and not have to wait 6 months. I wish I had waited. I would be done now. My suggestion to everyone considering this online university, do yourself a favor and wait to be accepted at your local college. It will be cheaper, and you will be receiving your degree from a more prestigious college. SU has had some legal issues recently. You can google to research. When students from SU say they are just doing what they have to do to get through and “forgetting” what they have learned, there is a problem with this program.

Had those I asked for help from actually helped me, it is possible I could have passed this course even with the terrible textbook and terrible question test bank. My biggest issue was in not getting assistance when I asked for it. Anyone spending THOUSANDS of dollars with an institution, especially an educational institution, should be afforded the respect and proper assistance of guidance and help. One last note, like all of you are doing now, I read the bad reviews and still took a chance. My mistake.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

They make you believe you will finish in 3 yrs but that’s not true and you will run out of financial aid before you finish and will have to pay an outrageous amount of money. I had 5 classes to get my degree and ran out of financial aid. They never told me this when I enrolled. They are about MONEY. ONLY.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

I’m in so much debt attending South University. I was told I could complete the RN BSN degree in 3 years and the whole course would cost 52,000. With just one class needed to enter the nursing program I was told the class wasn’t offered on campus. I was told to take it online. I never took a online course before. I was offered no assistance in how to summit paperwork, where certain assignments was and failed the course. Told by my advisor to go to the library for help and pay more money. By the way for 2 1/2 years received no money back and always had to pay every month. I’m knee deep in debt for taking none nursing courses. They were doing a lot of people wrong, and I was not able to transfer because they would not give me my transcripts.

South University Company Information

www.southuniversity.edu

Get the news you need delivered to you

Sign up to receive our free weekly newsletter. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.

You’re signed up

We’ll start sending you the news you need delivered straight to you. We value your privacy. Unsubscribe easily.