1.52/5
Based on 109 reviews that contain star ratings

Savannah, GA

114 South University Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 21, 2018

I was in the BSN program in High Point North Carolina. I was kicked out after failing one class. The nursing program director allowed too many students into the program so they have started nitpicking to lower the amount of students in the program. I had three more months and will have to figure out how to start over. I'm in a massive amount of debt and cannot seem to get a phone call or email back from the nursing program director. Most programs will allow you to take a class over. She just doesn't care. She told us that we weren't likely to pass the NCLEX. That offends me because I know that I can pass the state test. Another student was told by the dean of academic affairs that she made too many c's in the program. They never told any of us that we had to make a's and b's, but now use this as an excuse to deny reinstatement. They also allowed other people back into the program who made c's. This is extremely unfair.

Really read about these schools before you attend. This school is way more expensive than most programs as well. The school tours will make everything seem amazing. I was paying $600 a month when I started the nursing program. They make you pay these large payments while taking a full load. DO NOT GO HERE! The nursing coordinator is also extremely rude to almost everyone and talks to you like you are trash. When I had to take a class that was taught by my nursing program director she never answered my email or taught. I had to teach myself in any classed that her or the nursing coordinator taught.

There was a lot of drama among the staff for the nursing program as well. I don't think students should know when someone has a problem with their secretary. THIS SCHOOL IS A WASTE OF MONEY. I WISH THAT I HAD READ REVIEWS BEFORE I WENT HERE! My Pell Grant is now maxed out and I don't know how I will pay all of this debt off working a low wage job. Please heed my warning.

Original review: May 2, 2018

I would recommend this program for many reasons. Raising 3 kids, moving between states, and not having patience to deal with technical difficulties, SU advisers/professors/and staff have been very accommodating and vested in students graduating and passing the state boards. I passed the boards, received a job offer today and will be working as a FNP in a couple weeks. The school is very affordable, and most of the instructors are excellent. You get what you put into it. Be prepared to find your own clinical rotations. The school works with you if you are having trouble.

Get expert buying tips about Online Colleges delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 19, 2018

Go somewhere else to get courses on English and Math. I wanted to become a Paralegal, was told it would only be 18 months, and $5,000 in total. I told my financial advisor that I was 52 yrs old and didn't have any income. I didn't have any classes for becoming a Paralegal just English and Math which I could have taken at my local vocational school for a lot less. I understand that English is important for becoming a Paralegal but all 18 months and $25,000 later? After I finished the 18 months I was told it would take me another 2 yrs to get my degree. Now they keep emailing me to come back.

Original review: March 27, 2018

Never attended because I was lied during the chat session. They told me the MBA was AACSB. I was happy to hear that but I had my doubts. So I did a quick Google search and found it was actually ACBSP. I asked the recruiter/advisor during the same chat session if she is sure it is AACSB? Because I just checked online and it says ACBSP. She apologized and said, "Yes it is actually ACBSP." This itself is a huge red flag, so no thanks.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

DO NOT ATTEND THIS UNIVERSITY. I was sweet-talked into enrolling in the BSN. I was told ALL of my credits DISCUSSED before enrollment were APPROVED and that I just needed to take a couple of more classes. After enrolling, they said to me that I needed to take more classes; in which case you have no option. Tried contacting counselors — referred me to registrars — referred me to director of the program... so on and so on, I did not get any help or resolution. My tuition for two classes was over $4,000, and THEY WILL NOT RELEASE YOUR TRANSCRIPTS. BEWARE OF THIS INSTITUTION.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about South University?

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I initially entered the university in 2010 after leaving service. Since then and up until about 2015 I earned my associate and bachelor in business. The staff at the school were remarkable around the time frame when Dr. ** (I believe his name was) was president of the school. I did work study so I was really accustomed to the environment and people at this time. I cant remember the actual year when the staffing changed and Dr. ** left, but that's when the family oriented and willingly helpfulness of the university seemed to go downhill.

Financial aid is run by some young guy who may not even speak to you versus the retired marine who did it a few years back. I still remember the prior president coming out to marathons with the veteran students and running with us. I started to see the university and its staff being more "numbers" oriented and "robotic." No one cares to get back with you in a timely manner unless you're initially trying to get into the university and the professors are getting less and less human like over time. The way things are going, possibly professors wont even have to leave their beds and can instruct students from home via a computer or an actual robot that walks into the classroom. SMH.

The registrars are basically non-existent versus those like Mrs. ** who had an open door policy for years. She always had a welcoming voice and smile on her face ready to figure out your problems even if she was busy. Even when she was expecting she still worked hard. The registrars now are just policy jargon repeaters. As a way for instructors to not get blamed for being a horrible teacher or professor they will constantly state like the mantra that "I am here to make sure you do it correctly while you self teach yourself." Horrible ideology in my opinion.

Maybe I'm illiterate in university legalities and how operations must need to be conducted to keep up with demand, but I can tell you, it's not the loving environment it use to be. Some may say a university shouldn't be "loving" but like I said previously, the loving and family oriented environment in the past is what made it motivating and helpful for me to obtain two degrees. I'm sure others would agree.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

I first came to this college requesting a degree that would allow me to someday become a physical therapist. A salesman there (admissions advisor) sat me down and explained that I as a single mother can get grants and loans and I should be a nurse instead. He sold me on the nurse degree. I had a baby and worked full time and took their "nursing prerequisite courses" exhausted! I worked so hard to finish them. Once I was finished I was told that getting into the nursing program (the next step) was GPA dependent. My GPA was high and I got a letter saying I needed to take a course over again! I was devastated and then I asked that they just sign me up for a regular Bachelors of Health Science.

They signed me up for this BS in Health Science. I took all of the courses! I went in and they told me they added 6 more courses and so sorry my Pell grants wouldn't cover or my loans and so now I owe them out of pocket and they have me in collections! I have 152 credits of college I worked so hard for and will never be able to use. That is over the standard amount of credits. My credit is totalled fubar and I am at wit's end. Don't go here unless you have a GI bill to use. I am really defeated.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I decided to attend South University because the school created a Physician’s Assistant program which became the only program in Richmond, Virginia. I came and spoke with current director for their PA program at the time which was Robert **. He went over my classes and reassured me I was on the right track but I needed to finish my degree along with some additional classes. In order for me to apply, I wanted to guarantee my chances in this competitive program and enrolled in South University to finish my remaining courses and complete my degree. Many of my classes transferred in from a community college and they used some of those classes to conduct my degree audit.

I registered for classes and my advisor was Ms. Rosuany **. She made sure I was registered for the correct classes for the first year. After finishing up the first year, thinking I would be graduating (only because they said I would be done with course track I was on) they said, “Oh you have 15 more courses to take.” This is the first time the advisor and register sat with me individually to explain the detailed degree plan which consisted of 180 hours (way more than a regular bs degree). I was frustrated and upset but that did not matter to the advisor, she sat there with a straight face, not caring at all as she went over it again, as if I was not understanding that I had 15 more courses.

Now that I have 15 more courses, my financial aid had to be re-evaluated which of course I had to start paying out of pocket. The advisor registered me for the classes, which I then found out that they made me take an additional class that was not needed and instead of letting that go towards my degree as a class taken, my next class would be free of charge because I paid for a class that was not needed. After about 3-5 weeks of taking more new classes my advisor emails me to ask me which degree I was pursuing. Mind you, she knows who I am and we went over a degree audit and now we are back at registering for the new 5 week courses and she’s asking me which degree audit did we decide to do.

Also when I was in her office, we spoke about future plans, I told her I was going to the school to apply to the Pa program and she said these are the necessary classes you will need, this is the degree you will want to do. Over the course of the year I took 15 classes not 15 hours but 15 classes between Jan-Dec. I continually checked in every 5 weeks when registering for new classes to make sure I was taking the correct courses and that I was going to graduate. Ms. ** assured me yes! September I was ready to get my final three courses to graduate, of course the final three courses I needed were not available. Throughout the year, I have never had a break or wait time to finish my courses and surprisingly this time upon completion my courses are not available.

I explained to my advisor that I needed to take these classes sooner than later because I am due in October. She told me there was nothing she could do, that the classes were not available til The beginning of October (when I was due) and that I needed to communicate with my teachers. At South University when taking an online course, you have to check in, log in, or post something twice or three times within the week if not you will be automatically dropped from the class, it does not matter if you email, skype or call the teacher, it’s out of their control. She did not care, she did not respond to my email about how I was worried because I do not want to be taken out of the class. Again, she does not care, this is merely a paycheck for her, she cares nothing about the students.

I kept my classes, I had my son on October 15, 2017 and I successfully finished the three classes with a newborn. I finished my degree in December of 2017. I then needed to get new information for the PA school, which is something that is not marketed. Every week or so Dean ** would send out an email about information sessions, campus changes or activities at the school. Not once has there been any information or meetings about the PA school. I emailed her to see if I could get information about the program or who would I speak to, to continue my studies. I finally got another email from someone that takes over the enrollment of the PA program information session. Erica, helped to attach a document to fill out and send it back to make sure I was registered for the meeting, I did.

Of course no response if I was registered until I emailed twice more to make sure I was on the list to come. I came to the information session which only had three other people, because it is not marketed, so of course no one would come. The session was informative, took a tour of the area where class and clinicals were instructed and before I left we had to fill out the exact same form that was sent my email that I supposedly needed to register for the session. The women that were conducting the meeting also said “we look at your grades but we also look at your training, patient care hours, resume, GRE scores, and interview. We take in account everything because that can put you above others. If you need help with the reviewing of your courses to make sure you have what you need email Erica”. I took the advice. Emailed Erica, of course emailed her twice before a response and she then tells me I need four additional classes.

Now if you could imagine I was very confused because I have just graduated from South University why would my courses not be what they are looking for. It’s because the courses they offer are not the courses that are accepted by the PA program but indeed the community college has the ones that are needed. I emailed Dean ** after that email to see if she could register me for those classes. It was the holiday so I did not receive a response but I decided to go to the school and talk to them in person. When seeing Dean ** she explained to me that these courses are needed with labs and South does not offer those classes with labs, and that they don’t offer biochemistry at all. I told her I wanted to take classes there because I am already paying out of pocket so I should continue.

Just like a credit card yes it’s more interest, yes it may cost more but because you can make payments that may be easier. But instead she thought I did not understand so she repeated that it’s cheaper to take courses elsewhere but elsewhere it may be cheaper but I would still have pay out of pocket to South and to a community college. She also told me, after looking at my gpa that I would not have a chance to compete in being reviewed into the program. I said I know what my gpa says but because I transferred in my credits my gpa added with my South university classes makes it lower but the core prerequisites needed for the Pa program (which is what is reviewed) are A’s and B’s. She proceeded to tell me that I needed a backup plan, which is obvious when completing applications for any medical program.

She asked ,“What kind of nurse are you? A CNA?” Which was racial profiling since I was **. She then said I should stick with that and do a LPN to RN program and look at being a nurse practitioner because they do the same thing. I told her I have spoken with some of the faculty in the PA department and she said they are part time, they don’t know anything because they are not here. I ended up leaving her office in tears having the understanding that I was not good enough, I have a pointless degree, and I should look at other programs because I would not get into their PA program. Don’t go here or waste your time like I did.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2017

I just completed the Nurse Practitioner program at South University. Overall the experience was good. My academic and financial advisors were great. All advisors checked on me constantly to make sure things were going well. The program is challenging but very doable. The only difficult part was having to find my own preceptors for clinical but other than that it was a good experience and I would recommend South University. Even the price was good.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2017

I attended for just under a year. All I experienced was trouble. I was enrolled from February 2014 to January 2015. I was told in the beginning that my financial aide would cover everything. I found out after the fact, that it didn't. The reason I had to drop out was due to missing a final. I was giving birth to my son and in the hospital. It just went south from there (haha south... guess they were aptly named!).

I was working towards an AS in Allied Health and Science, so I could have the background desired for a medical assistant. I am now almost $10,000 in debt total, between Great Lakes and SUO. I am only just now finding out that they lost their accreditation. I have also just now found out that quite possibly they didn't refund the unused balance to Great Lakes. If anyone is doing a class action lawsuit- I want to join please! I will be seeing about a personal attorney in the meantime. Just run the other direction. Seriously. RUN.

South University Company Information