2. Education

Savannah, GA

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.62/5

Unsubscribe at any time.

South University Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about South University?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about South University?

Original review: Aug. 18, 2020

I just recently attended the FNP Program and completed the track. Everything seemed very organized from the beginning. I thought the entrancing and process was very organized. After that it downhill. The professors, I think try too hard at making the program more difficult than it really needs to be. I spent a lot of time for each course trying to figure out where the weekly reading were coming from because chapters or page numbers were never included in the syllabus. Only partial titles would be given for the readings which made it time consuming just trying to organize studying. The Map/country grid for preceptors are a joke. Many of the locations, never heard of the school. It was so difficult trying to locate preceptors that I had to sit out twice trying to locate a preceptor willing to take me.

Each semester I felt it was like reinventing the wheel regarding trying to figure out my study plan. Then Covid hit which made a very organized program that much more frustrating for students. I tried to be very understanding but many times I was being told different information by multiple administrators which made it very frustrating. Thank God for emails. I kept every email correspondence. That was my saving grace.

After completing the program, so I thought, July 6, 2020. I was told that they were missing patient contact hours in their system from over a year and a half ago. Obviously a glitch. It took them over a week to get it correct. I had to go back and dig through all my documents and enter all the patient encounters back in the system. It took them over 2 weeks to finalize. Finally on August 3, I received an email stating that I completed the program. I was happy. Virtual graduation around the corner right. No, wrong!!!

Somehow, someone enter my completion date in incorrectly and I will not be graduating as I thought. I'm so devastated. I have worked so hard over the past 2 years and now being denied graduation. They are telling me that there is nothing that they can do. It's less than a week before graduation and I have to cancel the celebration that I had planned to view the graduation with family and friends. Thanks a lot South University for ruining my momentous occasion that I will never get back. Thanks for nothing.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2020

I graduated in 2010 and I had the best experience from student services and academic team. Student services was great from the beginning until I graduated. The academic team was very supportive. I will return for my MBA.

Get buying tips about Online Colleges delivered to your inbox.

Unsubscribe at any time.
      Original review: July 18, 2020

You have no right to tell me my schoolwork is more important than my son. Who mind you was in ICU. And when I was in communication with my counselors you still have the nerve to make my son health less important. This has pissed me off. I'm sorry but if you're going to make me choose. Bring it. I have no problem choosing another school. Not to mention I have asked you to stop calling me because the hospital will make me leave and with this pandemic I won't be allowed back in. And guess what you continue calling me and telling to log in or else. Excuse me. Nope.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2020

South University is an excellent option for those seeking to obtain a Nurse Practitioner licensing while working. You will have to work hard and stay on top of your assignments. It was a great experience. They have made many changes to prepare you for the certification exam and employment. I graduated from the MSN FNP program on 11/27/2019, took my certification exam on 1/8/2020 and passed the first time. I was prepared!!! Thank you, South University.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

When I first got to the school I was very excited. I sat down with Jason who is the head of admissions, we went over a game plan to get me in school. I was informed to stay of track I needed a specific class. They gave me the website. They said if I complete it I would be able to start on time. I paid $150 to this online program and passed In two weeks. After doing so I went in and was informed my financial aid would not cover my full Tuition. Turns out it would cost me 600 a month. Which being a single mom of 3 and just going to school I am unable to pay that. This school doesn’t partner for scholarships and outside funding. I was very upset and Jason was keeping in touch to try and help get me into school. Well it’s been 2 months and now this school is dodging my calls and emails. I want my money back for the program. But nothing. I don’t recommend this school. They lie and cheat you!

Original review: Dec. 23, 2019

Please do not attend this school. They steal your money, overcharge and then lie to you. They said my credits would transfer to AUM, they lied. I owe 80k in student loans for a degree I will not be able to use! Do not go to this school.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

I earned two degrees at South University, both a B.A. and M.P.A. After finishing school in 2015, I had a small balance. The balance was discharged in a Chapter 13 Bankruptcy. Recently, I re-enrolled at South University to begin a doctoral program. I was accepted into the program, signed up for courses, and my financial aid was processed. The night before classes were set to begin, I was contacted by the Director of Admissions and informed that I was "dismissed" from the university.

I then received a nasty email from the financial aid department, informing me that my previous balance, discharged through bankruptcy, was immediately due and my transcripts would be withheld until it is paid. South University has enrolled me for classes, after informing me that I am "dismissed," and they have applied to receive federal aid for said classes. Additionally, they insisted that I sign a re-payment agreement for a debt discharged in bankruptcy court. I called an attorney, he believes this was an elaborate plot to collect money for a debt discharged in bankruptcy court. South University had no intention of providing me with the classes they are still charging for. I am pursuing this both through the court system and local media outlets. Beware!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

If you are a student that likes being "spoon fed" information then this school is not for you. In actuality, you may not be prepared to join a masters program at all. At South, the program is designed to provide you with the foundations of being a Family Nurse Practitioner and then it is up to the student to dig deeper and immerse themselves in the culture. If you are not treating the program as a full time job, you will not succeed. Time requirements for the program were stated clearly in orientation and on initial meeting with the program director. Jean

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

Reasons I chose South University:

1. Ability to start classes immediately after submitting all required documents.
      2. Did not have to take the GRE.

3. Susan **, SU representative I spoke with on multiple occasions, is a good salesperson.

In 2018 I began classes at South University (SU) in the AGNP program. I knew that the program was accelerated. An accelerated program requires you to read hundreds of pages of text weekly. Too much to retain. My first two classes at SU, I received letter grades “A.” My third class, Pathophysiology, I studied 60 hours a week. My first quiz I knew the class was going to be next to impossible to pass. The textbook to begin with is awful. Very unorganized and systems just run-on together. As I mentioned, hundreds of pages to read weekly. The test did not compare well at all with the content. Some questions, I had no idea what was being asked. Very poor questions and test bank. This, even with a study guide.

I am an “A-B” student. I asked for help during this course, asked for my tests to be reviewed for test bank accuracy, and was told that I could not review my quizzes or tests because “students in the past have cheated and shared the tests/answers online.” I was also told that students use online websites that reveal test questions and answers and was another reason I could not be helped. How was that my fault? I’m not a cheater. There was no way for me to correct what I got wrong on my quizzes for the mid-term and final, given I had no idea what I got wrong. I received a “C” in this course, which is not a passing grade.

I was going to have to retake the course. Once you are a student with SU and they have your money, you get absolutely NO assistance. I should have known better. I petitioned to have my quizzes and tests reviewed but was not given any help. I was 1.5 points away from the needed passing grade of a “B.” I have no doubt I would have made at least a “B” in this course had my request been fulfilled to review. This online school basically is “on your own.” Others are stating they have had great experiences. I’m guessing they had teachers who really care about education and not about just getting student’s money.

I am currently enrolled at a local university where I received my bachelor’s degree. I should have stayed with my first choice. The only reason I didn’t was because I wanted to start the program right away and not have to wait 6 months. I wish I had waited. I would be done now. My suggestion to everyone considering this online university, do yourself a favor and wait to be accepted at your local college. It will be cheaper, and you will be receiving your degree from a more prestigious college. SU has had some legal issues recently. You can google to research. When students from SU say they are just doing what they have to do to get through and “forgetting” what they have learned, there is a problem with this program.

Had those I asked for help from actually helped me, it is possible I could have passed this course even with the terrible textbook and terrible question test bank. My biggest issue was in not getting assistance when I asked for it. Anyone spending THOUSANDS of dollars with an institution, especially an educational institution, should be afforded the respect and proper assistance of guidance and help. One last note, like all of you are doing now, I read the bad reviews and still took a chance. My mistake.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

They make you believe you will finish in 3 yrs but that’s not true and you will run out of financial aid before you finish and will have to pay an outrageous amount of money. I had 5 classes to get my degree and ran out of financial aid. They never told me this when I enrolled. They are about MONEY. ONLY.

South University Company Information