Savannah, GA

3.9/5 (156 ratings)

About South University

South University Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about South University?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about South University?

Original review: Jan. 6, 2020

When I first got to the school I was very excited. I sat down with Jason who is the head of admissions, we went over a game plan to get me in school. I was informed to stay of track I needed a specific class. They gave me the website. They said if I complete it I would be able to start on time. I paid $150 to this online program and passed In two weeks. After doing so I went in and was informed my financial aid would not cover my full Tuition. Turns out it would cost me 600 a month. Which being a single mom of 3 and just going to school I am unable to pay that. This school doesn’t partner for scholarships and outside funding. I was very upset and Jason was keeping in touch to try and help get me into school. Well it’s been 2 months and now this school is dodging my calls and emails. I want my money back for the program. But nothing. I don’t recommend this school. They lie and cheat you!

Original review: Dec. 23, 2019

Please do not attend this school. They steal your money, overcharge and then lie to you. They said my credits would transfer to AUM, they lied. I owe 80k in student loans for a degree I will not be able to use! Do not go to this school.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2019

I earned two degrees at South University, both a B.A. and M.P.A. After finishing school in 2015, I had a small balance. The balance was discharged in a Chapter 13 Bankruptcy. Recently, I re-enrolled at South University to begin a doctoral program. I was accepted into the program, signed up for courses, and my financial aid was processed. The night before classes were set to begin, I was contacted by the Director of Admissions and informed that I was "dismissed" from the university.

I then received a nasty email from the financial aid department, informing me that my previous balance, discharged through bankruptcy, was immediately due and my transcripts would be withheld until it is paid. South University has enrolled me for classes, after informing me that I am "dismissed," and they have applied to receive federal aid for said classes. Additionally, they insisted that I sign a re-payment agreement for a debt discharged in bankruptcy court. I called an attorney, he believes this was an elaborate plot to collect money for a debt discharged in bankruptcy court. South University had no intention of providing me with the classes they are still charging for. I am pursuing this both through the court system and local media outlets. Beware!

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

If you are a student that likes being "spoon fed" information then this school is not for you. In actuality, you may not be prepared to join a masters program at all. At South, the program is designed to provide you with the foundations of being a Family Nurse Practitioner and then it is up to the student to dig deeper and immerse themselves in the culture. If you are not treating the program as a full time job, you will not succeed. Time requirements for the program were stated clearly in orientation and on initial meeting with the program director. Jean

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

Updated on 02/16/2021: Please find my original posting regarding my experience at South University. Update is to inform consumers that at first, the University of Central Florida was not going to approve my transferred classes from SU. However, they were accepted, but as a result of the difference in quarterly points due to accelerated program, I am one credit hour short and will have to take an extra course to meet UCF's requirements. I am very happy with the program at UCF. Read the reviews before you make a decision.

Original Review: Reasons I chose South University:

1. Ability to start classes immediately after submitting all required documents.
2. Did not have to take the GRE.

3. Susan **, SU representative I spoke with on multiple occasions, is a good salesperson.

In 2018 I began classes at South University (SU) in the AGNP program. I knew that the program was accelerated. An accelerated program requires you to read hundreds of pages of text weekly. Too much to retain. My first two classes at SU, I received letter grades “A.” My third class, Pathophysiology, I studied 60 hours a week. My first quiz I knew the class was going to be next to impossible to pass. The textbook to begin with is awful. Very unorganized and systems just run-on together. As I mentioned, hundreds of pages to read weekly. The test did not compare well at all with the content. Some questions, I had no idea what was being asked. Very poor questions and test bank. This, even with a study guide.

I am an “A-B” student. I asked for help during this course, asked for my tests to be reviewed for test bank accuracy, and was told that I could not review my quizzes or tests because “students in the past have cheated and shared the tests/answers online.” I was also told that students use online websites that reveal test questions and answers and was another reason I could not be helped. How was that my fault? I’m not a cheater. There was no way for me to correct what I got wrong on my quizzes for the mid-term and final, given I had no idea what I got wrong. I received a “C” in this course, which is not a passing grade.

I was going to have to retake the course. Once you are a student with SU and they have your money, you get absolutely NO assistance. I should have known better. I petitioned to have my quizzes and tests reviewed but was not given any help. I was 1.5 points away from the needed passing grade of a “B.” I have no doubt I would have made at least a “B” in this course had my request been fulfilled to review. This online school basically is “on your own.” Others are stating they have had great experiences. I’m guessing they had teachers who really care about education and not about just getting student’s money.

I am currently enrolled at a local university where I received my bachelor’s degree. I should have stayed with my first choice. The only reason I didn’t was because I wanted to start the program right away and not have to wait 6 months. I wish I had waited. I would be done now. My suggestion to everyone considering this online university, do yourself a favor and wait to be accepted at your local college. It will be cheaper, and you will be receiving your degree from a more prestigious college. SU has had some legal issues recently. You can google to research. When students from SU say they are just doing what they have to do to get through and “forgetting” what they have learned, there is a problem with this program.

Had those I asked for help from actually helped me, it is possible I could have passed this course even with the terrible textbook and terrible question test bank. My biggest issue was in not getting assistance when I asked for it. Anyone spending THOUSANDS of dollars with an institution, especially an educational institution, should be afforded the respect and proper assistance of guidance and help. One last note, like all of you are doing now, I read the bad reviews and still took a chance. My mistake.

Original review: Aug. 9, 2019

They make you believe you will finish in 3 yrs but that’s not true and you will run out of financial aid before you finish and will have to pay an outrageous amount of money. I had 5 classes to get my degree and ran out of financial aid. They never told me this when I enrolled. They are about MONEY. ONLY.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

I’m in so much debt attending South University. I was told I could complete the RN BSN degree in 3 years and the whole course would cost 52,000. With just one class needed to enter the nursing program I was told the class wasn’t offered on campus. I was told to take it online. I never took a online course before. I was offered no assistance in how to summit paperwork, where certain assignments was and failed the course. Told by my advisor to go to the library for help and pay more money. By the way for 2 1/2 years received no money back and always had to pay every month. I’m knee deep in debt for taking none nursing courses. They were doing a lot of people wrong, and I was not able to transfer because they would not give me my transcripts.

Original review: July 30, 2019

I graduated from SU 7-10-19 with my MSN-AGPCNP. While I passed my ANCC certification quickly in 1 attempt, I give the staff at SU zero credit. The instructors appear bothered by any question or concern a student has, the advisers tend to say that there is nothing they can do and apologize for the school (if they get back to you) and NO ONE ever wants to take any accountability. The online classroom-BrightSpace, is full of errors and more time is spent passing the buck than addressing issues. I am transgender. Was frequently misgendered and addressed inappropriately. If you're thinking about SU, think again. I urge you to look at other schools before committing your time and money to this operation.

Original review: July 27, 2019

It is unfortunate that South University has so many negative reviews posted. All readers should keep in mind that South University has multiple campuses and although one site may have had difficulties with there financial aid departments that is not the case for every campus. I attend South University at the Richmond Virginia campus and will graduate from there FNP program in March 2020. Having completed 2/3 of the program I will attest that it prepares you for the national certification examination. It is not an easy program, I have had no surprises either with my classes or my financial aid.

My professors have been wonderful and when "life happened" adequate alternatives were offered to help me with my studies. Anyone who has looked into the FNP program is aware that each student needs to pass the PPP examination prior to starting NSG6420. This is not an easy exam, you have two attempts if you are not successful after remediation you are dismissed from the program. As one other writer stated you get out of what you put into the program. I have degrees from The George Washington University and a state college and would say that they are no better than South University. I looked into the NP programs at Duke university, ODU and VCU and I didn't see any difference in the programs. All of the programs have the students find there own clinical sites so that was no big surprise at South University.

I know students in the BSN program at South University and one thing I can say without a doubt is that our students get a lot of clinical hours. Our students do well in their clinical rotations and the nursing staff frequently ask for their return. Richmond can boast a 100% first time pass rate for the NCLEX examination and our hiring rate is also exceptional. I have found over the years and have witnessed it in my FNP program that those students which are ill prepared and are not successful complain the most. Infrequently do they take personal responsibility for their own failure. They all want the participation trophy with little or no effort.

I have enjoyed my experience at South University, it was the perfect arrangement for me and my family and I am very confident that I will be successful as a FNP. My professors were attentive and caring and the ancillary departments such as financial aid were always available to assist me. Don't judge a book by its cover or by what others may say. Do your own homework before enrolling at any university and be prepared to do the work!

Original review: June 26, 2019

After having to stop my classes due to Argosy closing, I was a bit uncertain as to who I could get the best continuing education from. I was a bit disappointed that when I left Argosy I had only three classes left to graduate. Since enrolling in the new school I have five classes to graduation. I look at it like this, no matter what I will graduate and I am sure to learn something new. I think my admissions advisor is amazing. She has been making sure I am completely comfortable with the transfer. My first class has been a great success and my instructor is amazing. I do not buy into all the negative comments. I think you get out of this what you are willing to put into it. Thanks South University for picking up us Argosy students and helping us make a smooth transfer. MW

Original review: June 26, 2019

I transferred to SU because Argosy University shut its doors due to STEALING stipend checks from their students. NOW I am having a hard time trusting SU!!! They have exceeded the 21 days they said I had to wait and be patient for before anything could be done about the status of where my stipend is. Every day I am getting the runaround (IF I even get someone to talk to!) It is SO obvious that in their emails and over the phone, they are reviewing scripts on how to address these issues. I was told two days ago that my stipend was being sent to me with priority- yet when I reached out to them today - I am being told there is NO new information since the LAST WEEK. I have a hard time coming to grips with the fact the school has been paid their money, yet they are not giving students THEIR stipend.

Original review: May 9, 2019

This school is for profit only. They don’t care about students being successful. The professors provide zero assistance. The counselors appear to read from a script and if you ask any questions that aren’t on the script they are lost. Please beware and search for a school & program that actually cares about you and not out for you to fail the program so they can make more money. I’m so surprised this school hasn’t been shut down by now. Their Family Nurse Practitioner program is a joke. No one will assist you in finding preceptors even if you have contacted 60+ providers in your area. This is one of the WORST PROGRAMS I’ve ever attended. Choose wisely where you attend school, they are money hungry leaches.

Original review: April 1, 2019

This is the worst college to ever attend, and my experience at this school was terrible. First, the teachers crammed information daily, about 100 Powerpoint slides and you’re tested twice a week. The teachers were very unapproachable and extremely unhelpful. I also felt that some teachers were extremely racist and only helped favorites, so we were forced to do a lot of work with minimal guidance. The teachers used intimidation tactics during class which created a stressful learning environment and made it very hard to learn and focus.

Also, at the end of quarter the teachers played with grades for whom they wanted and their favorites throughout the year. Also, most of the decent professors are in Savannah, and most of your classes are on a screen where you press a button to ask questions. The technology is very outdated and malfunction most of the time, which takes time away from the instruction and causes confusion. Financial aid was a different monster. We received incorrect information and the financial aid person for the pharmacy program was active military so when we went to answer questions we never received an answer, and no phone calls were returned. She was also very rude and when asked questions she seemed to not want to answer and provided incorrect rushed answers.

Original review: March 14, 2019

I attended South University 2 years ago. I could not get disability help. I was bullied by teachers, students, my FSFA Account was hacked more times than I can count! They lied and mislead me on all accounts! Now because of Argosy University closing due to the Dream Center Laundering money $38 million and $51Million told including Argosy, South and the Art Institute, and Argosy losing their accreditation and closing. South University won’t leave me alone and keeps tried to force me to go back. I refuse. South University Fired Rick Bunning my Academic Adviser the only good person there. He single handedly taught me Windows 10! He refused to let me ever give up! All the rest at that school because of the Dream Center who doesn't care about your disabilities are Pusillanimous Polecats! Don't go to South University. They are **, and liars! Also harassing me and won't stop! I Grade South University an F! 0 Stars!

Original review: March 9, 2019

In 2014 I completed all of my required courses necessary for a master's degree. Upon the completion of required credits I needed 3 credits to earn my master's degree, I was getting good grades as I approached the final 2 or 3 assignments my grades changed and they told me I failed the class and I had to retake the class if I wanted my master's degree. That FINANCIAL aid would not cover it I need to pay out of pocket. I disagreed with their decision and withdrew from SOUTH UNIVERSITY.

I enrolled in another online university in an effort to earn the 3 needed credits necessary to graduate. I contacted South University to find out which class could I take and TRANSFER it into their school. I was told no outside class would be accepted I will have to earn the 3 credits there. Refused to return to SOUTH UNIVERSITY. I had to start all over with a completely new degree. Because of them I started 2 more years of online studies. That I didn't need all I needed was 3 credits, THEY ARE CROOKED CROOKS. Only after the money.

Original review: March 8, 2019

1- When you have 3 or4 class less they want to fail the student because they took your money and no integrity for student. 2- Dr. ** teacher is on cart to make student drop and fail the class. 3- They need a big investigation. Is a Fraud school. Only want your money $$$ and almost at the end of the program say that you fail, and then they have your money and you lose the master. 4- If somebody want to look for a lawyer let me know, please.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

I attended South University for about 4 months using a scholarship, a loan and a grant and still they required me to pay out of pocket. Long story short I was unable to pay weekly as required which resulted in me being kicked out of school abruptly. Now I am stuck with an 8,000 dollar loan. No degree. A big fat tax offset among other incurred debts via my dealings with this particular university. I'm paying out money for loan I feel I never got to fully use.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

If one reads all the negative reviews, there seems to be a common thread of "personal problems" and the like. My experience with the online program was excellent. My wife and I both enrolled in the RN to BSN program at the same time. We were given a map of the classes we would need from start to finish and it never deviated. I did not encounter any problems with classwork or instructors, and took the max load of two classes at a time and finished in just over a year with a 3.95. My wife went on to immediately continue in their FNP program and has been satisfied with it, as well. One needs to be a disciplined, driven student to complete these types of online classes. Life does happen, but why would anyone expect the school to bend over backward because of it? Do your due diligence before attending any school, and read all the fine print to prevent "surprises" later on. Very happy with South University. SUO, BSN 2017.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2019

I have been a part-time student in the online MPA program for a little over a year. I enjoy my classes and interaction with instructors. I have good contact with my admissions and enrollment counselors as well as my finance counselor. Until this week. I'm actually on my final course of my degree this term. This week something is different. I cannot get hold of anyone. Emails aren't returned. My financial aid posted late and I have not received any information about my stipend. I learned that the entire Arizona online support staff was terminated which supposedly is where my counselors worked. This is a part of some buyout and change of for profit to non-profit status. I'm just trying to find out is the university closing, should I keep logging in and doing my work, what's going on with my financial aid. Anyone a current student and know anything?

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

So I started at South University January 2016 in the Nursing program. I was making my monthly payment for about 2 or 3 months straight (barely making it) after that I struggled with keeping and finding a decent paying job to keep up with my personal bills as well as school. I finished the first semester and set out summer and I think fall of that year because it was too stressful to pay monthly with very limited income, and that’s if I had any. I went back in the winter, after paying 20% of what was owed for that 1 semester (mind you they were paid via Financial aid as well).

Went through that semester with the same dilemma when it came to money and stuck it out to the summer and when I started back the FA guy had me sign a whole other contract adding my new monthly balance with my old and I was very upset and I showed it to him saying that makes no sense when I don’t have the money as is being a single mom and working for little to nothing, but of course he didn’t care because it’s about money and nothing else.

How can you focus on school when you have to worry about paying them every month? Fast forward to 2018, I had already planned on going back and spoke with the lady from FA and she told me I had to pay about 220 to start back and I was willing to do so, around tax time they decided to put it in collections and suddenly I owed them a little over $7,000 for pretty much nothing. Can you say inflation. I’m not paying $7,000 when each semester I took 2 classes each time (4 semesters) so what was my financial aid paying for?

Now I’m still getting calls from the collection agency and today the collector said that it’s been in collection since June of 2017, how when I never received anything saying it was and why were they still asking me to pay them for something that was given to a collection agency? I am now attending school for the same degree (bachelors) and I don’t have to pay a thing out of pocket at Strayer not to mention I get a refund back every quarter. Explain to me how one school offers the same degree in the same length of time and this school gives you money towards getting your degree at the end, while the other charges you out the tail to better your life making it difficult to focus on your school work.

Bottom line they do not have your best interest at heart and there is no reason for them to charge what they charge, you’re better off going to a historical college like Princeton or Yale for what they charge. They need to be held accountable financially and when it comes to their reputation. There should be a law against taking advantage of people trying to do better.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

This school is unethical and treats students so poorly. I am suing them for the abuses they have done to me and encourage anyone else to do the same. Join the fight against this schools treatment against students. It is appalling and beyond ethical to students and destroying our school systems. These schools caring only about taking our money and not the students. It's time for students to take back their rights and stop allowing this school to abuse their students. They expelled me for advocating against their wrongs. I was severely sick with tumors getting treatment in the hospital and what they put me through was so beyond inhumane.

They did the most abusive behavior to me while I was so sick in and out of consciousness being injected with chemicals in me and just gave me barely a minute to get out of the hospital before expelling me. They name called me. Said I was basically a disgrace because I was being treated in the hospital on medications the doctors were giving me for my tumors in my uterus. It was so distressing and this is representatives in the school doing this that represent disabilities and I was in a nurse practitioner program. They do not take care of their own but ridicule them when they are deathly ill. They do not care about you at all. It's a reason to find to get you out and take your money.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

I applied to South University after they said all my classes would transfer in to the FNP program. They literally had me into a class within 3 days of applying. HOWEVER, they did not inform me that there is no time off AT ALL! You actually get charged for taking off. I needed at least one week to just get back to my home in NC that was flooded during the hurricane and they began sending me emails that "I withdrew". I called every department which seemed to be readily available when signing up for classes but no one would return calls at all when you need to find out what is going on. The classes can be online but there are a few that is impossible to do online with no instruction. This is self-taught and their discussion groups is a joke. It has no test preparation involved at all. I would not recommend the program if I had to do it all over again.

Original review: June 21, 2018

I was in the BSN program in High Point North Carolina. I was kicked out after failing one class. The nursing program director allowed too many students into the program so they have started nitpicking to lower the amount of students in the program. I had three more months and will have to figure out how to start over. I'm in a massive amount of debt and cannot seem to get a phone call or email back from the nursing program director. Most programs will allow you to take a class over. She just doesn't care. She told us that we weren't likely to pass the NCLEX. That offends me because I know that I can pass the state test. Another student was told by the dean of academic affairs that she made too many c's in the program. They never told any of us that we had to make a's and b's, but now use this as an excuse to deny reinstatement. They also allowed other people back into the program who made c's. This is extremely unfair.

Really read about these schools before you attend. This school is way more expensive than most programs as well. The school tours will make everything seem amazing. I was paying $600 a month when I started the nursing program. They make you pay these large payments while taking a full load. DO NOT GO HERE! The nursing coordinator is also extremely rude to almost everyone and talks to you like you are trash. When I had to take a class that was taught by my nursing program director she never answered my email or taught. I had to teach myself in any classed that her or the nursing coordinator taught.

There was a lot of drama among the staff for the nursing program as well. I don't think students should know when someone has a problem with their secretary. THIS SCHOOL IS A WASTE OF MONEY. I WISH THAT I HAD READ REVIEWS BEFORE I WENT HERE! My Pell Grant is now maxed out and I don't know how I will pay all of this debt off working a low wage job. Please heed my warning.

Original review: May 2, 2018

I would recommend this program for many reasons. Raising 3 kids, moving between states, and not having patience to deal with technical difficulties, SU advisers/professors/and staff have been very accommodating and vested in students graduating and passing the state boards. I passed the boards, received a job offer today and will be working as a FNP in a couple weeks. The school is very affordable, and most of the instructors are excellent. You get what you put into it. Be prepared to find your own clinical rotations. The school works with you if you are having trouble.

Original review: April 19, 2018

Go somewhere else to get courses on English and Math. I wanted to become a Paralegal, was told it would only be 18 months, and $5,000 in total. I told my financial advisor that I was 52 yrs old and didn't have any income. I didn't have any classes for becoming a Paralegal just English and Math which I could have taken at my local vocational school for a lot less. I understand that English is important for becoming a Paralegal but all 18 months and $25,000 later? After I finished the 18 months I was told it would take me another 2 yrs to get my degree. Now they keep emailing me to come back.

Original review: March 27, 2018

Never attended because I was lied during the chat session. They told me the MBA was AACSB. I was happy to hear that but I had my doubts. So I did a quick Google search and found it was actually ACBSP. I asked the recruiter/advisor during the same chat session if she is sure it is AACSB? Because I just checked online and it says ACBSP. She apologized and said, "Yes it is actually ACBSP." This itself is a huge red flag, so no thanks.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

DO NOT ATTEND THIS UNIVERSITY. I was sweet-talked into enrolling in the BSN. I was told ALL of my credits DISCUSSED before enrollment were APPROVED and that I just needed to take a couple of more classes. After enrolling, they said to me that I needed to take more classes; in which case you have no option. Tried contacting counselors — referred me to registrars — referred me to director of the program... so on and so on, I did not get any help or resolution. My tuition for two classes was over $4,000, and THEY WILL NOT RELEASE YOUR TRANSCRIPTS. BEWARE OF THIS INSTITUTION.

Original review: Jan. 19, 2018

I initially entered the university in 2010 after leaving service. Since then and up until about 2015 I earned my associate and bachelor in business. The staff at the school were remarkable around the time frame when Dr. ** (I believe his name was) was president of the school. I did work study so I was really accustomed to the environment and people at this time. I cant remember the actual year when the staffing changed and Dr. ** left, but that's when the family oriented and willingly helpfulness of the university seemed to go downhill.

Financial aid is run by some young guy who may not even speak to you versus the retired marine who did it a few years back. I still remember the prior president coming out to marathons with the veteran students and running with us. I started to see the university and its staff being more "numbers" oriented and "robotic." No one cares to get back with you in a timely manner unless you're initially trying to get into the university and the professors are getting less and less human like over time. The way things are going, possibly professors wont even have to leave their beds and can instruct students from home via a computer or an actual robot that walks into the classroom. SMH.

The registrars are basically non-existent versus those like Mrs. ** who had an open door policy for years. She always had a welcoming voice and smile on her face ready to figure out your problems even if she was busy. Even when she was expecting she still worked hard. The registrars now are just policy jargon repeaters. As a way for instructors to not get blamed for being a horrible teacher or professor they will constantly state like the mantra that "I am here to make sure you do it correctly while you self teach yourself." Horrible ideology in my opinion.

Maybe I'm illiterate in university legalities and how operations must need to be conducted to keep up with demand, but I can tell you, it's not the loving environment it use to be. Some may say a university shouldn't be "loving" but like I said previously, the loving and family oriented environment in the past is what made it motivating and helpful for me to obtain two degrees. I'm sure others would agree.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2018

I first came to this college requesting a degree that would allow me to someday become a physical therapist. A salesman there (admissions advisor) sat me down and explained that I as a single mother can get grants and loans and I should be a nurse instead. He sold me on the nurse degree. I had a baby and worked full time and took their "nursing prerequisite courses" exhausted! I worked so hard to finish them. Once I was finished I was told that getting into the nursing program (the next step) was GPA dependent. My GPA was high and I got a letter saying I needed to take a course over again! I was devastated and then I asked that they just sign me up for a regular Bachelors of Health Science.

They signed me up for this BS in Health Science. I took all of the courses! I went in and they told me they added 6 more courses and so sorry my Pell grants wouldn't cover or my loans and so now I owe them out of pocket and they have me in collections! I have 152 credits of college I worked so hard for and will never be able to use. That is over the standard amount of credits. My credit is totalled fubar and I am at wit's end. Don't go here unless you have a GI bill to use. I am really defeated.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

I decided to attend South University because the school created a Physician’s Assistant program which became the only program in Richmond, Virginia. I came and spoke with current director for their PA program at the time which was Robert **. He went over my classes and reassured me I was on the right track but I needed to finish my degree along with some additional classes. In order for me to apply, I wanted to guarantee my chances in this competitive program and enrolled in South University to finish my remaining courses and complete my degree. Many of my classes transferred in from a community college and they used some of those classes to conduct my degree audit.

I registered for classes and my advisor was Ms. Rosuany **. She made sure I was registered for the correct classes for the first year. After finishing up the first year, thinking I would be graduating (only because they said I would be done with course track I was on) they said, “Oh you have 15 more courses to take.” This is the first time the advisor and register sat with me individually to explain the detailed degree plan which consisted of 180 hours (way more than a regular bs degree). I was frustrated and upset but that did not matter to the advisor, she sat there with a straight face, not caring at all as she went over it again, as if I was not understanding that I had 15 more courses.

Now that I have 15 more courses, my financial aid had to be re-evaluated which of course I had to start paying out of pocket. The advisor registered me for the classes, which I then found out that they made me take an additional class that was not needed and instead of letting that go towards my degree as a class taken, my next class would be free of charge because I paid for a class that was not needed. After about 3-5 weeks of taking more new classes my advisor emails me to ask me which degree I was pursuing. Mind you, she knows who I am and we went over a degree audit and now we are back at registering for the new 5 week courses and she’s asking me which degree audit did we decide to do.

Also when I was in her office, we spoke about future plans, I told her I was going to the school to apply to the Pa program and she said these are the necessary classes you will need, this is the degree you will want to do. Over the course of the year I took 15 classes not 15 hours but 15 classes between Jan-Dec. I continually checked in every 5 weeks when registering for new classes to make sure I was taking the correct courses and that I was going to graduate. Ms. ** assured me yes! September I was ready to get my final three courses to graduate, of course the final three courses I needed were not available. Throughout the year, I have never had a break or wait time to finish my courses and surprisingly this time upon completion my courses are not available.

I explained to my advisor that I needed to take these classes sooner than later because I am due in October. She told me there was nothing she could do, that the classes were not available til The beginning of October (when I was due) and that I needed to communicate with my teachers. At South University when taking an online course, you have to check in, log in, or post something twice or three times within the week if not you will be automatically dropped from the class, it does not matter if you email, skype or call the teacher, it’s out of their control. She did not care, she did not respond to my email about how I was worried because I do not want to be taken out of the class. Again, she does not care, this is merely a paycheck for her, she cares nothing about the students.

I kept my classes, I had my son on October 15, 2017 and I successfully finished the three classes with a newborn. I finished my degree in December of 2017. I then needed to get new information for the PA school, which is something that is not marketed. Every week or so Dean ** would send out an email about information sessions, campus changes or activities at the school. Not once has there been any information or meetings about the PA school. I emailed her to see if I could get information about the program or who would I speak to, to continue my studies. I finally got another email from someone that takes over the enrollment of the PA program information session. Erica, helped to attach a document to fill out and send it back to make sure I was registered for the meeting, I did.

Of course no response if I was registered until I emailed twice more to make sure I was on the list to come. I came to the information session which only had three other people, because it is not marketed, so of course no one would come. The session was informative, took a tour of the area where class and clinicals were instructed and before I left we had to fill out the exact same form that was sent my email that I supposedly needed to register for the session. The women that were conducting the meeting also said “we look at your grades but we also look at your training, patient care hours, resume, GRE scores, and interview. We take in account everything because that can put you above others. If you need help with the reviewing of your courses to make sure you have what you need email Erica”. I took the advice. Emailed Erica, of course emailed her twice before a response and she then tells me I need four additional classes.

Now if you could imagine I was very confused because I have just graduated from South University why would my courses not be what they are looking for. It’s because the courses they offer are not the courses that are accepted by the PA program but indeed the community college has the ones that are needed. I emailed Dean ** after that email to see if she could register me for those classes. It was the holiday so I did not receive a response but I decided to go to the school and talk to them in person. When seeing Dean ** she explained to me that these courses are needed with labs and South does not offer those classes with labs, and that they don’t offer biochemistry at all. I told her I wanted to take classes there because I am already paying out of pocket so I should continue.

Just like a credit card yes it’s more interest, yes it may cost more but because you can make payments that may be easier. But instead she thought I did not understand so she repeated that it’s cheaper to take courses elsewhere but elsewhere it may be cheaper but I would still have pay out of pocket to South and to a community college. She also told me, after looking at my gpa that I would not have a chance to compete in being reviewed into the program. I said I know what my gpa says but because I transferred in my credits my gpa added with my South university classes makes it lower but the core prerequisites needed for the Pa program (which is what is reviewed) are A’s and B’s. She proceeded to tell me that I needed a backup plan, which is obvious when completing applications for any medical program.

She asked ,“What kind of nurse are you? A CNA?” Which was racial profiling since I was **. She then said I should stick with that and do a LPN to RN program and look at being a nurse practitioner because they do the same thing. I told her I have spoken with some of the faculty in the PA department and she said they are part time, they don’t know anything because they are not here. I ended up leaving her office in tears having the understanding that I was not good enough, I have a pointless degree, and I should look at other programs because I would not get into their PA program. Don’t go here or waste your time like I did.

South University Company Information