1.13/5
Based on 101 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

103 Gentle Dental Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

After reading all the bad reviews, I can see that this confirms my thoughts of them soaking the insurance companies! I had a hip replacement 3 years ago and since then have taken extreme caution in the cleaning and care of my teeth to avoid infections. I was scheduled to have a regular cleaning at Gentle Dental Thorndale, PA. The tech was so rough and I believe made my gums bleed excessively on purpose. She kept stopping and told me I need to take better care of my teeth and I am on my way to having gum disease.

She said "see all this bleeding? You have so much plaque under the gums". Then she left to talk to the dentist. She came back and told me that I needed to schedule a "deep cleaning" because she couldn't work like that with all the bleeding. She did not finish cleaning my teeth! So I told her that I don't understand why because I made a point to take care of them since my replacement. She accused me of not flossing, which I did. I have the floss sitting right at my table in the living room. I use it after each meal! The dentist told me I needed to have a root canal (which my insurance doesn't cover... of course) and I needed an extraction. So, I left, very confused and felt so ridiculed and humiliated.

I made an appointment at a dental clinic. Had my first appointment and they were wonderful. I DO NOT have excessive plaque, not heading towards gum disease, and lo and behold... I do not need a root canal or an extraction!!! There is nothing wrong with my teeth!! Confirmed by the clinic! Just had a cleaning today and almost no bleeding. Amazing how Gentle Dental can get away with lying to their patients and screwing over the insurance companies and medical assistance!!! They should be investigated!!!

Original review: July 24, 2018

I have never seen the same dentist twice. Every time I go there (980 Willow Creek Rd Prescott AZ) there are always new staff because the old staff quits. Very non professional. Today's visit was awful. This new dentist wouldn’t look at me when talking and really couldn’t figure out if I had cavities or not. I’m taking my business elsewhere.

Get expert buying tips about Dentures and Dental Implant Solutions delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 17, 2018

My experience with Gentle Dental has been atrocious. I would recommend strongly to anyone to NEVER GO TO THE GLISAN ST. CLINIC IN PORTLAND, OREGON- EVER! You are better off pulling your own tooth with a pliers. I was referred to a periodontist for a gum graft on one single tooth due to gum recession. When I had my consultation with the periodontist she provided me with a treatment plan for the one tooth and I scheduled the gum graft. On the day of the appointment in the car ride home with my husband I noticed that they did the gum graft on the WRONG TOOTH. (I was out of if during the actual surgery or probably would have noticed sooner).

When I called them immediately upon realizing the HUGE ERROR they asked "what side of the mouth did they do the work on?" I responded, "the right side" and Cici replied, "Oh yep, they were supposed to do the left side." I informed her that I was aware of that and expressed my frustration and annoyance with them for this huge error. I requested a refund of the $368 payment I had made earlier that day. She referred me to the manager McKenzie. When I finally spoke to McKenzie on Monday (the appointment was on Friday) she assured me that she would submit the reversal request and that it would take, "a few days." 7 days later the payment had still not posted as a refund so I called again.

I was informed that McKenzie was out of the office for the day (8 am) but she would have McKenzie call me first thing the next morning. I called the next day at 9 am as McKenzie had not called me back and was informed that McKenzie was not in yet but "would be in shortly and would call me back." 2 hours later I had still not heard from her so I called her back again. I was placed on hold for 8 minutes and when I finally spoke to McKenzie she now told me that it takes 4-6 weeks for the reversal to post as their accounting department only handles refunds "once a month." I told her that when I spoke to her last week she NEVER ONCE mentioned 4-6 weeks and assured me it would take only a few days. Her reply was, "I have it in my notes that I told you that." I repeatedly informed her that she never mentioned that and if she had I wouldn't be calling 7 days later and 8 days later to find out the status.

They have repeatedly treated me horribly and continue to lie to me. Not to mention last week (less than 7 days after the gum graft) I felt the sutures coming loose and called to talk to the dentist. I was informed that she was at a different clinic but she would get the message to the Dr. and call me back. I never heard back from anyone that day.

I called again in the morning and was told again the Dr. was at a different clinic but she would call me back. 3 hours later she finally called me back and by this time a huge suture had fallen out of my mouth. The Dr. said she tried calling me back the day before but my voicemail was not set up. I told her I did not have any missed calls and asked her what number she called. She said she couldn't remember. Again, this is a lie as my voicemail has been set up for years and I had NO missed calls from anyone the day prior. Needless to say this place is a nightmare. STAY AWAY. I had to go back a week early due to the suture falling out (the non-dissolvable suture fell out) and now have to go back again for another follow up this Friday. I will never go back after this last appointment. They are horrible to deal with and lie to your face.

Original review: July 3, 2018

I am much more likely to write a company or post a review if I've had a good experience. But, Gentle Dental was worth my time to post about my dealings with them. My daughter went in for braces. $6,400 was the first quote. A relative was paying for them, so I asked that a statement be sent to them and they were to pay it in full when they got it. Weeks passed and no statement was sent. At that point, I was told that they couldn't send a statement. Why? And, why not call and tell me this? The Dr. has pulled a tooth of mine and a tooth of my daughter. I'm not at all positive either of them needed it. The Dr. had NO bedside manner and on more than one occasion, would enter the room and not even acknowledge my presence. Just not a good feeling all around.

I was asked to put a $500 down, which I did. I decided this wasn't the place for us. There were some snide remarks when I made any complaint. I just told them we were going elsewhere. The braces weren't in. I asked for my deposit back and was told it would take a few weeks since it had to go thru their Corp. Office. Why couldn't it just be charged back to my credit card? We got right into another dentist, who owned his practice...no corporate offices. Right away, there were differences. The first was the fact that he didn't have to do those nasty molds (which had to be done 3 times before they got it right). This dentist does it thru some image technology. He also had new x-ray's that are so gentle, you don't have to leave the room. Much more up to date.

Epilogue: I just received a BILL for over $300 from Gentle Dental! What for? I had paid something like $70 for the last thing they did the day we left them. AND, I still haven't heard a word about my deposit being refunded. I'm fearful they are going to deduct this $300 from my deposit. I do not owe them any money! Now, I have to find a way to contact SOMEONE to try and get my money back. More hassle. Advice: try to do business with people who own their own business. Corporate just makes for more trouble!

Original review: June 29, 2018

My wife got a period maintenance cleaning and I had paid for it but my insurance told me it was cover 100%; I talked to the office manager then she called the insurance and she said she will take care of it. Later she quit the company. Now the new manager told me she doesn't know it and she call the dental insurance then said insurance not cover. I call the insurance and the insurance told me that the dentist office had called and she was told that I don't have to pay that because insurance had cover, then I call the dental office again but she told me bring document paper to show her to prove it then hang up on me. I call the insurance and they will send me letter to prove it. Conclusion, dentist doctor is good but office manager is not good.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Gentle Dental?

Original review: June 17, 2018

I wish I had looked at the reviews, but I just picked a dentist on my insurance plan. I'll preface by saying I take great care of my teeth and go at least twice year for cleanings. I'm the kind of person who changed fillings so they'd look nicer and got braces at 40. I really care about my teeth and normally love the dentist. I was at the dentist 5 months before trying Gentle Dental, and I went to another dentist two days after my last interaction with them. Based on that - they either lie or exaggerate to make you do unnecessary procedures. They told me I needed gum surgery and a deep cleaning - neither of which was covered by insurance.

They ganged up on me to intimidate you into doing those procedures despite my repeatedly saying I didn't think I needed, and I couldn't afford it. I had 3 people including the office manager standing around me trying to coerce me into doing these procedures. And when I said no, I'd rather just get the cleaning now, and I'll think about the procedure and costs in the future, THEY REFUSED TO CLEAN MY TEETH. Let me reiterate, a dentist a few months before and a few days after disagreed with their required course of action. They're unethical and insurance/procedure/money focused practiced who is less concerned with honesty and their patient's well being.

Original review: June 5, 2018

The front desk/administration have no attention detail. They will schedule appts. and then change them without your approval. They will always try to charge more than you should be paying. Some of the ladies won't admit to their shortcomings and being overwhelmed! IT'S AN EASY JOB, AND IT'S SO SCREWED UP!!!

Original review: April 5, 2018

I had braces with Gentle Dental for about 11 months. Before I got my braces on it was determined I had severe gum disease. I had a full mouth scaling and surgery on two of my teeth and the middle gap tissue was removed. The front left middle top tooth and one midway in the top left side. I had a few cleanings and then about in March or April of 2017 we put them on. I started the process in Nov of 2016. I spent hundreds of dollars on all of this work including many, many hours of work I took off. Used my all PTO when I had it. I paid $350 down and $146 a month with about 7 visits for the braces. I also went to the reg dentist for follow ups with Gentle Dental and I had follow ups with the Periodontist.

During my follow ups with the Periodontist he only checked the two teeth that I had the surgery on with the periodontal probe to check the death of the pockets. On one visits the DENTAL ASSISTANT noticed one of my teeth were very, very loose. That when for the FIRST time since I had my braces on after about 7 months later did they decide to do x-rays and do all my teeth with the periodontal probe. (This should have been done each time I can because of the severe gum disease I have.) Once the x-rays were processed the amount of bone loss in my upper mouth was an EXTREME difference from when I started. Some of my teeth that started with pockets of 2-3 were now 10 and 11s. One of my top teeth was so loose they decided to so another scaling on my upper mouth. They removed all of the bands and within 2 weeks all of my teeth had moved back to where I started 7 months prior.

Before I went to my appt I visited the Orthodontist where he suggested that I left them move the loose tooth upwards and attached it to the one next to it. I did not feel comfortable letting them do this so I left the office. Upon my next visit they again asked me to let them attach the loose tooth to the one next to it. Finally even though I didn't want them I allowed them to attached the loose tooth to the one next to it, and within 2 weeks the tooth next to was now loose and went from a 2cm pocket to a 10cm pocket. I then had my right scaling in March 2018 and was to come back on Monday April 2nd to have the top left scaling done. When I got to the office it was completely closed down. No one called me to let me know they had sold the practice in Tampa. I decided then to drive to the Sarasota office and have them take off my braces before any further damage was done.

On April 4th 2018 I spoke with either the office manager or the owner of Gentle Dental. I asked him if they would refund me the money I paid for the braces since I have more gaps now than what I started with and two teeth that I will have to lose and the bone loss. He refused, he even refused to give me my deposit of $350 back. He tells me that braces do not cause bone loss. When In fact that is false. When you have teeth movement and severe gum disease it can in fact cause bone loss and loss of teeth. I told him I am no doctor and I feel they should have never put braces on my teeth due to the gum disease I have. His words were "people with gum disease deserve to have straight teeth too." I stated, "Yes they do but there are other ways of going about it without putting braces on someone with bad gums."

Bottom line I went to the ortho every month, the periodontist every other month and I got my teeth cleaned every 3 months. They only suggested I get them cleaned every 6 months, but I insisted since my gum disease was so bad that I should have it done every 3 months. I spent thousand of dollars with this office, and the only thing I was asking a refund for was the Ortho which is about $1200. I went through terrible pain and literally walked out of the practice crying many times because the scaling and procedures hurt so bad. When I got my braces off I went to my car and cried because all the work and money and time I spent went down the drain.

If you see my before and after pictures I now have MORE gabs than when I started with. All I wanted was straight teeth, and now I am back at square one with double the bone loss than when I started and two teeth I will probably lose. I am very saddened that I would be treated this way. This is not how you run a business and treat your clients. If they decide to give me my money back as I deserve I will remove this HONEST review but please beware of Gentle Dental. Even one of there own workers told me once to go somewhere else and not use this practice and I didn't listen. If you love your teeth stay away from this practice.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2018

I was running around town with a bad tooth. My dentists said she couldn't take it out. That I need it a specialist, and oral surgery. The County Clinic the same. Several other dentists claimed it need it oral surgery which I debated because I had one tooth removed right next to that one and it was a snap. I suffered with several infections and painkillers since November until February. As a senior citizen in a Social Security budget I was going crazy thinking that I would have to spend half my check on a tooth.

I finally decided to call Gentle Dental. Had been there before. I expected to pay $200.00 or $300.00 on the tooth alone. No, I met Dr. ** and he said what I suspected, he said, "That is a simple extraction." I asked, "Are you sure" and he responded; "I will take of you, and you are going to be just fine." Promised kept. I ended up paying only $110.00 for the extraction. Not all teeth problems are the same or same price, but in my case I hit the jackpot. Solved my pain and problem in a snap. Thanks Dr. **. And I been there before. Fancy clean place at 529 FM. Nice staff and great doctors.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

I am retired and I have been using the same insurance the last five years in Carlsbad. Everything ok until last 18 months when the office got a new billing clerk. On two different occasions I was informed PRIOR to receiving any treatment that the procedures were 100% covered and that pre-authorization had been obtained. On the second procedure (cracked cap) I insisted and received from the receptionist a document indicating I owed zero. Yet Gentle Dental sent the bill for the two procedures to collections. I thought they were investigating and trying to resolve. Sneaky, unprofessional.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2018

I had a root canal in 2015 in 1 of the Chula Vista, Ca. locations. I was told what my charges would be out of pocket and what the insurance would pay. I was on a payment plan for about a year until my balance was paid in full. Then about a year later I received a bill for the same service, that looked as if my dental insurance had not paid anything for my services. Red flag. Another year goes by then they send me the bill again. I refused to pay it. After speaking with the debt collectors, they send my bill to my medical (not dental) insurance, who pays about $500 of the bill and then the remaining balance is sent back to me again! I tried calling the actual dental office but my call was not returned. A little while goes by and I check my credit report and the bill was sent to collections. GENTLE DENTAL IS A CORRUPT BUSINESS.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2018

Today my son was supposed to have an appointment at eleven. I was never told that his appointment was moved to another date. So we waited for like an hour for my appointment. While we were waiting another family came in whom the dentist greeted like she knew them really well. She hugged the kids and offered the husband coffee. No one else offered coffee. I get my appointment, but afterwards I complain to the management over the phone. Tonight I get a phone call from the dentist telling me I am never allowed back into the dentist office not even to take my son who I spent 2000 dollars on for braces. She told me I don't know how to act.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

Dr ** snr was our family dentist excellent dentist with no complaints. Unfortunately things have changed for the worst with growth. So to cut a long story short, I found out last month that I have a bad case of gum disease that was not picked up with Gentle Dental, with a fair amount of damage to my teeth and gums. Good news is, I found a good dentist now at NIB North Parramatta.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2017

I had a root canal (endodontic) from an expert in endodontics (he is a professor at Columbia School of Dentistry (NYC) in the field of endodontics). This dentist has been doing root canals since 1970 and has probably done 90,000 of them. He does the root canal but send you to another dentist for the post-and-crown. I went to Gentle Dental only to be told that the tooth was ruined by this endodontist and I would need an implant ($3000) instead of a post-and-crown ($900). I called the endodontist to tell him and he told me "Gentle Dental is a scam trying to steal money from you. I will give you the name of a general dentist". I went to the general dentist who admired the root canal and put in a post-and-crown for $870.

I figured it out: Gentle Dental has a limited amount of chair time so they must figure out a way to get at least $2000 or more out of everybody who goes there or the time in the chair is wasted for them. They have many staff who must get paid and $150-$200 is not enough to waste chair time. Yes, Gentle Dental is a crooked operation from the overstaffed office (many young women with no clue of how to assist you but eager to have you give them money) to the dentists who must find ways to get the most money out of you. Overhead is too much to waste on patients who need routine care and maintenance so everybody must pay them for the most exotic and expensive care that they can force on the patient. If you don't like that business model then go somewhere else because Gentle Dental has bills to pay!!

The main corporate office of Gentle Dental needs to get paid, the franchisee needs to make money, the staff needs to get paid, and the landlord needs to get paid. This means every patient needs to be billed the maximum possible and morality and decency goes out the window. The dentists stopped being medical professionals long ago - now they are just money-generating men and women with licenses for the Gentle Dental corporation.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

I was recommended by a friend to this outfit, but wish I would've asked for a second opinion. I went in for 2 simple cavities and was told I had to get "deep cleaning" before taking care of cavities. They checked and rechecked my insurance, told me the balance I would owe, no problem and paid them. There were 2 appts made, the 1st "deep cleaning" she turned my gums into hamburger, damaged them so bad they could not fill the cavity on that side due to bleeding and damage!

I then showed up the next week for the 2nd appt and was told there wasn't a Dentist there and I would have to reschedule? I told them it was too hard for work for me to reschedule and poof, a dentist appeared at a dentist office. They then came up with false charges and tried to charge me for them after paying them close to $500.00 out of pocket and having Union Insurance. I refused to pay them any more money than they requested at time of service and have gum damage that I will have to put up with the rest of my life, so as I said, don't walk away from these places, RUN AWAY.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2017

This concerns the office at S Macarthur in Oklahoma City, and is similar to the one from Colleen, CA, of May 5, 2017. In March of 2017 they sent me a bill for $1224 for an 'uncovered procedure' dated March 29, 2016. I found out from Aetna, that the reason it was not covered was because they only sent in a Xray and did not explain to Aetna that I had not received a new partial in the last 5 years, prior to this procedure. So when I gave Aetna the needed information, they paid G.D. $918 for 2 retaining crowns and 1 pontic. This left my balance at $306 for something for which we cannot find a claim filed.

I visited the office, and was told that the young lady would look into it, and call me back, but I never heard anything. When I called, about 2 weeks later, I was told that the young lady I spoke to was no longer there, and that the file would be audited and that they would get back to me. But all that they did was send a bill for $306 for an 'uncovered procedure. I called Aetna Ins. and they called the Dental office, but could not get anything concerning a procedure, or tooth no. or a claim no. In addition, my portion of the bill was $630, for the covered procedures, but G.D. billed for $1190 on my Discover card, and I cannot find out whether or not I am due a refund. They also sent my bill to a collection agency, and I obviously disputed it.

Just over a week ago, I mailed a written complaint to the OK Board of Dentistry. If they accept it and follow up, maybe we can do something about Gentle Dental's billing problems. Please bear in mind that the office mentioned, is not a member of the ODA (OK Dental Assoc.) which helps in arbitration of billing issues. The Gentle Dental company also has an 'F' rating with the BBB.

Original review: July 24, 2017

I had the most horrific experience with Gentle Dental. Over 30 years ago, I had a bridge put in both sides of the lower back teeth (sadly I had two teeth pulled at 15 because I was terrified of drills). I found a fabulous dentist (probably deceased now), who did both of my bridges a year apart. It went relatively pain free and was completed in 2 visits each. About 2 years ago, I started having an irritation on the left side and the bridge eventually came loose. I was going to Gentle Dental for routine dental care for a couple of years since I was new to Maine. When they said they needed to take new x-rays, the dentist said the x-rays showed that I needed a root canal on the front tooth that supported the bridge. So he sawed the bridge apart (threw it away even though I had asked for it), then put some kind of adhesive to hold the remaining piece of the bridge. Then he performed the root canal and put a temporary cap on it.

That was an agonizing experience, but I suffered through it. I had it done and paid for it; but I still needed to replace the bridge and didn't have dental insurance so I signed up for insurance and had to wait a year before I could get the work done. On my next visit, there was a different dentist (they were both young, but this one was younger). I wasn't really happy about having a different dentist completing the job. When I went to have the bridge done, this dentist injected novacaine and chipped my upper front tooth with the metal handle of the needle. Then he removed the remaining gold cap from the back tooth which I asked for this time and got it. He put this thing in my mouth to keep my mouth open and then began to drill the back tooth. He must have drilled for over an hour (or so it seemed).

When I finally left, my mouth was sore for about a week because of the length of time that device stretched my mouth. He replaced the bridge, but it never felt right and I began having the same pain as before the procedure. At that point, he recommended I see another dentist. That dentist said he couldn't find anything really wrong and put some kind of adhesive material in the spot where the irritation and soreness was assuming that was where the food was getting in. This lasted less than a week and the pain resumed. I complained that I was still having pain Gentle Dental and said I wanted to get a second opinion and went to Wiscasset Dental. They seemed annoyed, but said fine. Dr. ** took x-rays and said she knew what was wrong and would call Gentle Dental and explain it to the dentist. On the next visit, I asked him about it and he dismissed it.

They scheduled another appointment with the first dentist who worked on me and I told him also that my bite seemed off. Both bridges felt perfectly natural when I had them originally done and the right bridge still feels natural and I've never had any problem with it. He drilled some more and gave me the bite test, but it still didn't feel right. When I got home I compared the partial bridge that they removed to the one in my mouth and noticed it was narrower and thought that might have been the reason my bite felt off. Since it wasn't getting any better, the dentist told me they would re-do it. Now I was really frightened of what I might have to go through, but had no idea. This dentist started to inject a numbing agent into the area around the tooth. He kept pushing on the needle and moving it around and it was pure torture. I was clenching my fists. When I couldn't stand it any longer, I made him stop.

I said, "Why is this hurting so much?" He said, "This type of agent wears off sooner." I said, "I'd rather have the novocaine, because this was pure torture." He became angry, especially when I told him the original procedure for my bridges, which lasted over 30 years was almost painless. He refused to continue and I was happy to get out of there. He said he would reimburse me and to go to another dentist. which I did - Wiscasset Dental.

Now that I decided to go to her to have her redo the bridge, she informed me that the root canal showed a black line (a crack) which indicated there was something wrong and that I needed to see an endodontic dentist for have the root canal evaluated. He sent his information to Dr. ** at Wiscasset Dental and I didn't hear from her and called to find out if they had received the recommendation from Dr. **. They said they had not, but would request it. At that time, she set me up for an appointment for 7/24, but I just got an email saying the office is closing. This has been absolutely the worst experience of my life.

Original review: June 21, 2017

I used to love Gentle Dental but their customer service has gone downhill. One day they called me to see if I could come in early because the sun was out and they wanted to go home. I was at work and can’t just leave so I said no. When I got there they rushed me through. I did not get my money’s worth. Then just yesterday they called to cancel the appointment I have set for July 3rd, I’ve had it set for 5 months and they decided to call and cancel on me because they wanted a 4 day weekend.

Talk about a company who doesn't value their customer’s time. Do I want to reschedule? Hell no. It takes a long time for me to get a paid day off work and I’m not wasting it on them. I found a new dentist down the street who will gladly take me. Then today about an hour ago they called to apologize for canceling and offered me a free Waterpik or toothbrush. So shady they can’t even keep their schedules straight. I’m done with them. They are selfish and rude. I could go on about my last 2 visits but I don’t have time.

Original review: May 16, 2017

My complaint confirms the others. My first visit to the office was near home, well equipped, and the girls at the front desk were nice and helpful. They have many offices. The dentist said they wanted me to get DEEP CLEANING where they use a LASER. ONCE YOU BEGIN THE DEEP CLEANING YOU HAVE TO KEEP IT UP. I guess this is because the laser probably scars or opens the gum pockets near your teeth. Who knows what diseases the dental technicians or dentists have that you are exposed to with all the gum bleeding. Also, if you take blood thinners, etc. deep cleaning may present more of a threat to your health than the benefits it offers. I also have talked to a dentist that says not all dentists think deep cleaning is that important to have. I do use the newest recommended electric toothbrush, and I sometimes also use a sonic toothbrush, as well as a manual toothbrush.

About a year later I received a $25 credit coupon to use by a certain date. Before that date that I went for my second visit. The dentist refused to have them clean my teeth unless I got the deep cleaning. I asked him why. He said that patients could sue them for not providing needed services. They could have the patient sign a form stating that the patient declined a given treatment that the dentist thought was advisable. Also, have they ever heard of patient budgets? I think not. So as I left, I paid in full less the $25 credit coupon. They sent me a bill for $25. I called to the office and they said they would call billing to credit me with the $25. They sent me a second bill. I called the billing office and explained. They told me the dentist office had called them about the coupon.

Then they sent me a third bill and said [for $25] they would send this to a credit agency and it would have a bad effect on my credit. I have a perfect credit record of paying my bills. So I paid them the $25. This second visit in the lobby before treatment, they gave me a form to sign, that I agree and approve of a treatment plan they will provide. They don’t give you prices or tell you what your treatment plan will contain. I refused to sign it as written. In over 50 years of paying for my dental services, I have never been presented with such a form. I have never written a complaint about my dentist or dental office. I heard other ex-patients of Gentle Dental complain about being billed for every little thing, and that they were the worst. I think Gentle Dental is a money hungry, very pushy, group and I recommend you avoid them.

Original review: May 5, 2017

I received 1 bill for the amount of $1,550.00. I called, showed that my insurance paid $1250.00. Manager advised my portion was $300.00. I paid the $300.00, then months later I received a bill from a collection agency in the amount of $1200.00. I disputed it. Called the office back and was advised someone would look into it and get back to me. I called several times and got the runaround. Then I got a second notice the bill was sent to collections. Tried to call only to be told I just have to pay. Frustrated.

Original review: May 4, 2017

Normally I never write a review, but I have to share my five year experiences. In the town square dental office every couple year I would have a new dentist. My Worst experience was my child which was four years old, she had a cavity between the two front teeth the doctor recommended to do a filling and he had done a horrible job, which caused her mouth to swell. He prescribed some antibiotics, and only after the third visit, he decided to send me to another dentist. After I visited the other dentist, I realized that the first dentist had done a horrible job, he drilled too deep till he touched the nerves, and the second dentist explained to me how the job was bad. I ended up removing the two front teeth of my daughter.

My final experience was when I visited the doctor for regular cleaning the doctor started making a lot of unnecessary x-rays, and they told me my insurance would cover the price, but I ended up with a high bill without getting the teeth cleaned, because they said I needed deep cleaning. They care only about business and getting your money, with minimal effort. When I talk to the management about an issue, they blame the previous dentist and don't take any responsibility for the previous dentists job. I definitely do not recommend this dentist. How you could helped me with this issue?

Original review: May 1, 2017

Gentle Dental of Irvine, CA, refuses to provide the free basic cleaning of my teeth that I have already paid for with my insurance payments. They instead to a hard sell and insist that I need a deep cleaning for $$$. That is not ethical. They refuse to let the customer decide what services they want and don't want. They insist I must pay $$$ or they will refuse to do what is supposed to be provided at no charge by my insurance payments.

Original review: March 21, 2017

This was nothing but a BIG SCAM!!! I was told that I would be getting a free cleaning. All they did was take X-rays and my money. They tell you what's included in the price (X-rays and 1 cleaning) to get you in the door and then tell you that you need more. I paid to have X-rays and that's all I got... SCAM, SCAM, SCAM... I will bad mouth this company to anyone who will listen.

Original review: March 16, 2017

Fresno Office - My first bill was a late notice. The line indicated services performed on Sept. 9th. Bill date Sept. 13th. While I knew I owed something the bill was a complete mess. The column of numbers didn't even add up to the final amount. I literally spent 8 hrs in their office and refused to leave until someone could agree with me on the math and review my bill. I even got it in writing. Everything was settled but I switched dentists anyway. Haven't had service since that Sept. and now in March just got a bill for $741. Bill says previous owed zero.

Original review: March 8, 2017

In January 2015, I had 6 teeth surgically removed. When I went in, I handed the receptionist my health insurance card (as some insurance covers the removal of wisdom teeth) explaining to her that I don't know what (if any) of the balance my insurance will cover. I paid $1200 at that visit, and went on my merry way. In roughly October 2016 (YES, OVER A YEAR LATER) I get a call from Gentle Dental's billing department, claiming I owe them $4000! I explained I had the old plan they sold, and paid cash up front, and had never received a bill or have heard from them until now. The representative told me he would look into my account. I received another call in February 2017 saying they would "settle" for $400. WHAT?!? I asked the representative to provide me with a bill with detailed services rendered, along with a copy of the plan I paid for, otherwise, I will not be paying any amount. I have not heard back.

Original review: Feb. 8, 2017

I went to the Pikesville location to have a broken tooth surgically extracted. I was in extreme pain, and my tooth was broken off below the gum line. The dentist did a topical numbing to my mouth, but I could still feel pain when he started working on me. When I told him 'ouch', I could still feel pain, he did another needle and called it a 'block'. He insisted I should not be able to feel anything, and continued to lecture me that he should have only have given me a topical, and not a block. He was irritated and verbally snapped at me, while rudely tapping his finger/instrument on the table I was laying on while waiting for the numbing to engage in my mouth that he didn't want to give me in the first place.

And while I'm laying on the table waiting for the numb to kick in, they come in with a bill for me to sign while I'm on my back, staring at the ceiling. Paperwork should be conducted before a service, or after a service, not during a service while you're laying on your back in the middle of a procedure without your glasses on. Tried to call and get some relief over the phone, only to receive unprofessional and rude results. She persisted to tell me how other patients have multiple teeth pulled and are not in this kind of pain. Are you kidding me??? I just had surgery! A horrifying experience, to say the least. I wish I had read all of the bad reviews for Gentle Dental before I chose them to work on my mouth. I would never never never recommend Gentle Dental to anyone, even if they were the last dentist on earth. Horrible service, rude attitudes, followed by no satisfaction. Shame on you Gentle Dental.

Original review: Feb. 3, 2017 There are several reasons I am not happy with Gentle Dental. When I first started there the staff was very efficient and friendly. Becca and Dr. ** were fabulous. I have never really cared for the Hygienist Irina. She is very hard with my kids and they dread for her to clean their teeth. Laura has been excellent.

Ok so now on to the issues I have had with Gentle Dental. So October 2016 I called to get my kids in for their cleaning. Nothing was open until the end of January 2017! So I scheduled my whole family for exams and cleanings.

When I arrived, I seen new staff at the front desk. I believe the girls name was Megan who was helping me at the counter. In the middle of helping me she said "Excuse me, I need to take this call, I have been on hold for 20 minutes now". So I said "that's fine." While I was standing there she is on the phone giving all the clients "personal" information to the person on the other end. Name, DOB, SSN and insurance!!! Really?? What happen to the privacy of the patient?? Do they not need to follow the HIPAA Laws?? This was very concerning to me.

Along with disclosing all the clients information, she hangs up and is now on the phone with the other office arguing about the scheduling of a patient and who needs to call the customer to tell them about the schedule change and that she didn't feel she needed to do it because she called there first to get the approval to add the client to their appointments. She seemed very miserable and kept making negative comments about her job. This just seemed very unprofessional.

So back to the appointments, which had been moved around several times. I had them scheduled and still kept receiving text messages letting me know my kids are past due for their appointment. I get it, that's why I scheduled them! So I show up and the first thing Irina said was "Youre late". I said "no, my appointment is at 11:20." She argued with me and said "No it was at 11:00 so you are 20 minutes late but I will still take you". I got my phone out and showed her the appt. reminder and she didn't say a word.

So, Irina did the cleaning on my kids, however did not do any flossing BUT was very quick to tell me that I need to buy the electric toothbrush for each of them to help with their brushing. These ranged in price from around $40.00-130.00. We are a family of 5 and she wanted each of us to buy one. I show up for my appointment only to find out that it had been removed and so they could not see me. So they went ahead and rescheduled my exam and cleaning. I seen Dr. ** which during the exam he was very fast and was just saying numbers to the assistant. I have never had an exam hurt like this one did.

Afterward he recommended I have a more extensive cleaning done and left the room. The assistant comes in with some paperwork and asks that I sign the bottom. I asked what it was for and he mentioned that they had to let me know the cost of the cleaning that the Dr. was recommending which was about $350.00 that I would have to pay. I said "ok, but this was not scheduling to have it done" and he said "correct, we just have to let you know the cost in case you do it." So I signed the forms and he leaves.

When he comes back he tells me that the Hygienist does not have time to see me today and would I like to come back??? "Um no, I waited over 3 months for the cleaning and I have an appointment already scheduled to see her, how does she not have the time?" "Well this cleaning takes about an hour and they only have you down for 15 minutes." I said I did not want that cleaning done right now. I need the regular one done and then I will schedule for the more extensive one at a later date. The assistant tells me that once they have this procedure recommended they CAN'T do the regular cleaning, they have to do that one first.

At this point I am so angry with them. He flat out lied to me about signing those papers. IF she had time to do it, they would have scheduled that process without my consent. I really feel that my experience this past week has been worse than going to a car dealership and them trying to sell me a car that I don't need. I have never been treated this way and I'm currently looking for another Dentist. Lack of Patient Confidentiality, lack of efficiency, and trying to upsell every service they offer is not how I want to be treated at my dentist.

Original review: Jan. 27, 2017

This company seems like they are involved in some highly illegal business practices. They just send you a bill with some made number with no codes attached with interest. This was 5 month after my last visit. Good luck trying to get someone to explain it from their office, they are so rude. One star is too much.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2017

My family and I are switching to another dental office. Gentle Dental bought the private family practice we had been going to for approximately 12 years. We at first noticed the removal of the TVs in the patient rooms, we thought OK just corporate crap. Then came the initials on their corporate paperwork every single time we went in for cleanings or anything else. Now as with a lot of corporations we are seeing constant turnover in office staff. That speaks volumes to us as a practice. Something is amiss when the employees keep leaving. One of the biggest things that we loved about the previous dentist was the fact we not only knew every single staff member but they knew all of us, our kids, our lives. That has not happened once for us with Gentle Dental.

The practice they acquired was Dr. Shahram ** in Glendale, Arizona. He was a genuine, caring doctor who performed tens of thousands of dollars of work in our mouths with not one single issue. While the bar had been set awfully high for a new practice to achieve we gave (out of respect to Dr. **) Gentle Dental 18 months to win us over. Hasn't happened and the change has been made. I would certainly recommend folks do their due diligence before committing to Gentle Dental for their care.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2017

Had work done and have to go back for other treatment at a cost of 600.00 and have been saving but how I received a bill for 600.00 for service not perform on me. A month later I received a 20.00 late fee for a total of 620.00 and never had any work done. This is fraudulent billing and I plan to seek a lawyer for damages.

Gentle Dental Company Information

www.gentle1.com

Want to know more?
You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business