2. Finance
  3. Credit Cards

USAA Credit Card

USAA Credit Card
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.35/5

USAA sells auto and property insurance to members of the U.S. military and their families. USAA doesn't currently participate in the InsuraMatch program. If you're a member of the U.S. military in need of insurance, contact InsuraMatch today to see multiple offers that could work for you. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

USAA Credit Card Reviews

Original review: May 27, 2020

Been a customer of USAA since 1992 and have their credit card only. Last fall they reduced my credit limit from $23,000 to $500 due to my use of their card. It is the lack of using their card actually. Never late, never over the limit, never anything other than praise for this company until they reduced my credit limit. The only way I knew that they reduced my limit was due to the fact that I was trying to book airline tickets and that purchase was denied because it was more than my new undisclosed credit limit of only $500.

My credit score is 849, income is over $200k, own my home, own my business for 20 years and when I called them today after waiting 6 month because they make you wait 6 months to request an increase they increased my line of credit limit to $600!!!! Unreal how a customer since 1992 has been treated. So I loved this company for 28 years and now I hope to share as many bad reviews as I can. So just be warned how you may be treated by USAA after so many great years... Cheers!!!

Original review: May 13, 2020

I hired Terminix. I advised them I would pay by check only. Somehow Terminix billed my USAA credit card. I immediately called them and they said I gave them the card. I did not. I then called customer service and inquired if Mr. ** received my complaint letter. Rachel was rude, nasty and unhelpful. I then received a call fro Luciana ** and after providing many articles (I asked her to google complaints against Terminix) that was not done. I received a letter stating that $489 was due Terminix. I mentioned the Fair Credit Practice Act and she said that did not apply in this case. I explained to he that The Law stated $60 max. I am filing a complaint with The House Oversight Committee. Luciana said Ii would owe the full amount. I specifically advised NOT to bill my Visa account and did not show them the card. There are a multitude of complaints about Terminix via Google.

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 2, 2020

My husband has a USAA Visa with a $16,500 limit, that he transferred over from a Chase Visa, based on the USAA hype that they care about the military and veterans. In the years he's had this card, he had maybe 2-4 late payments, only by a day or two, and no late payments for at least two years. I started handling our bill paying, and I started making payments over the minimum every month.

A few months ago, USAA started raising our APR with no notice. Our APR was set at 10%, and during the time he made those few late payments, no change in APR. But for the past few months, it has been fluctuating between 12% and 10%. From my research, a credit card company can only do this with a 45 day notice if your account is in arrears, which ours is not and has never been. We have very good credit, and had fair credit back two years ago when he made those late payments. I cannot find any legal reason why they would do this now, instead of when they legally could have with no notice. We will pay this card off, and be done with them.

Original review: April 30, 2020

I have never in my life dealt with a company as horrible, cruel, and uncaring as USAA. I was with USAA for 14 years. During my time with them, I have had homeowner's insurance, auto insurance, and a credit card. At times, I have paid them $500.00 a month on my credit card when I was using it. My Account, until October of 2019, had always been in good standing. Well, in September of 2019, I was involved in an automobile accident. I got blamed for the accident for a reason I don't agree with, but that is beside the point. I called them to report the accident. The next day, they called me back and accused me of "fraud," stating that I was on an Uber ride, and it was "illegal" for me to submit a claim to them. I informed them I wasn't aware of that (which I wasn't at the time). Nevertheless, they denied the claim.

About a month and a half later, I received a letter in the mail that not only had they cancelled my insurance (for no good reason), but that they also had canceled my credit card!!! After 14 years! Well, of course I called and tried to talk to them. I have never had a bigger waste of time. This is after I had spoken to them many times about what happened, and they still wouldn't back down on their stance. I even wrote three letters (certified mail) to them, including one to the CEO of the company (at their instruction). I got a denial letter back on the credit card, and they basically told me they didn't care. What they also did, though, is restrict my ability to pay the bill I owed. They cancelled the credit card on October 14th, and have been charging me interest and late fees ever since, but they won't take a payment over the phone, or on-line! They also told me, "You deal with it, you got yourself into this mess, you get yourself out of it."

Well, how can I "get myself out of it" if they won't take my payment?! Since that time, I had asked them not to contact me anymore, which they continually did contact me at least 20 more times, both by phone, and by mail. I also have made at least 30 phone calls to them to fix this issue, all of which have been totally and 100% fruitless! Yet they continue to charge me interest and late fees every day, even though they won't let me pay the account off! I even had an attorney write them a letter about this, which they have so far ignored. They also will not waive any of the interest or the late fees! Each time I call, they do not know what department to transfer me to, and I am on the phone with them for a minimum of 20 minutes every time, with nothing resolved.

Recently, they began reporting this to the credit bureaus. It has caused me to be denied for a mortgage and I have moved out of my home and the state I was living in, but they won't fix this. Today, I called 3 times, and spent over 3 hours trying to simply pay the whole account off (which they told me the account is restricted and I can only "mail" in the payment!). The next rep. told me something different. Each rep., as a matter of fact, gives a different story.

My first call was at 4 P.M., and when I was finally transferred to the collections department, at 6:45 P.M., they told me "we cannot take your payment.' It took 4 times for her to answer me the question that it is the "Member Debt Solutions Department" that I needed to speak to and that the department close at 6:30 P.M. (2 and a half hours after I first called them!). It took another 4 questions for them to give me my Member ID #, and they totally refused to give me the number of this department. Tomorrow, they say that this particular department opens at 7 A.M. We shall see. In the meantime, the nightmare continues. Stay far, far away from this company.

Original review: April 25, 2020

I applied for a credit card and they used my Experian credit score, which is a 690. Of course I got denied because of a computer. They don't understand that people have a credit history and have made mistakes. But when you have learned from those mistakes and have a high credit score, there's no second chance. 100% disappointed.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

I have been using USAA for 19 years. Paying on time and more than the minimum. I have a credit score of 700 and never have missed any payments. My balance was at 49% credit ratio. They cut my limit for no reason and increased my ratio to 79% and the customer service person said they based that on my credit score, and they have the right to do that. I'm paying them off and will never use them again. I spoke to the office of the CEO, he didn't care either. Do not use USAA.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

I received a credit card from USAA that I didn't remember applying for but it sounded like a very good deal. 0% interest for 20 months, 17% after that, and no annual fee. I used a couple of checks to transfer higher interest credit cards to it and charged a couple times at stores. All this worked perfectly. On Dec.30, I received an alert from my Experian credit report that someone had changed my address on my USAA account. I called them and changed it back. I asked them how it got changed and they told me it must have been for someone else's account. Two days later I get an alert from Experian again that I had a large balance change and that my credit score had dropped 77 points. My credit limit mind you, was $20,000. I had used about $3000. The balance said I owed $19,200.

I called USAA and they said my account had been locked for possible fraud use. You think?!?! But they told me they couldn't help me until they had further verification of who I was. I had already given them #ssn, address, name, DOB, phone numbers, email, etc. It took 3 days to finally get them to unlock my account for me. I told them I did not make this much charges. We reviewed the account and found that a woman named Sherry ** had cashed a check on my account in Wesley Chapel, FL for $16,000. Who cashes a check to anyone for that much unless they are in on the scam??!! The representative told me she could tell it was not my handwriting comparing the other checks. She told me she would place a dispute on it and it should come off temporarily in about 10 days.

What the heck! I called our local police here in Fallon, NV and filed a report against this and they will send this report on to FL. In the meantime they haven't sent me a bill cause the account was locked. I'm going to assume from other people that I will now get a late fee and they will cancel my 0% interest. Don't do business with this company. The representatives kept transferring me and deferring me for almost a week from the time I first noticed a problem with my account. If they had followed up on my complaint about the address change maybe there never would have been a fraudulent charge. Luckily if USAA doesn't completely take care of it I have insurance against this kind of fraud charges but I don't know what continuing problems I will receive from USAA for not paying or something.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

Had a USAA credit card for 6 months now and have spent 4 different times trying to get the $250 cash reward for spending so much during the first 3 months. I have spent probably 4-5 hours trying to get the incentive. All the other credit card companies that I have dealt with on incentives it is done right away with no problems. I do not recommend their credit card.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

USAA Credit Card Services posted a $7,000.00 payment when the check was clearly written for $2,000.00. When I called to correct the situation at 9:26 am, I was told to fax them a copy of the check which I did (9:30 am) and then they would look into the issue. That was after they wanted me to have my bank cover for their mistake. I called and spoke to 2 different people at 5:55 and was told there is a process and would take time with no indication of when the $5,000.00 would be replaced. Terrie (employee number **) only quoted policy and would send an email tomorrow to try and expedite, but there is a process. I am a 20+ year USAA member and moving my credit card business away. It was the non caring attitude and lack of action to correct the mistake quickly. A day and a half so far without correction. USAA should stick to insurance because the customer service in the banking and credit card business is terrible!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

USAA held my $1800 refund payment hostage for over 30 days; completely unacceptable found out the hard way that USAA Bank does not care about its customers whatsoever. I pay my credit card online and when I scheduled a monthly payment, I am surprised when the record of my scheduled payment disappeared. No notation or reason online from USAA?? To make matters worse, USAA allowed me to schedule a NEW payment on the due date. So, I had 2 scheduled payments which both posted several days later causing my checking account to go negative. When I called USAA for help, they pretty much refused to take me seriously and just quoted policy after policy which only help USAA; and never cared to listen to my issue as a loyal customer and treated me like a “banking rule” not a customer.

I have very good credit and a high credit score and have never been late on a single payment with USAA and to be treated this way is a slap in the face. I called 8-10 times for resolution, which included 3 separate customer service representatives and a "customer service manager" who only tried calling me back twice over a 3-week period. So of course, both times I was in a meeting and got her single voicemail without any information other than to call her back again. Whenever I called her, I got her voicemail. This is the worst customer service I've ever experienced with a financial institution and I will not do additional business with USAA Bank.

USAA Credit Card Company Information