USAA Credit Card

USAA Credit Card

3.3/5 (555 ratings)
Find a Credit Cards partner

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

About USAA Credit Card

USAA sells auto and property insurance to members of the U.S. military. The company has auto coverage options for all active and retired military personnel and their immediate family members. It offers several coverage and discount options for drivers, as well as their vehicles and passengers.

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

USAA Credit Card Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA Credit Card?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Original review: Aug. 19, 2022

I've been a USAA member for over fifty years. Recently I went on a cruise that included the eastern US and Canada. Weeks before leaving, I completed a travel notification on the USAA site for the period I was traveling. The first time I used the card in Canada, their fraud division froze my card over a $15 purchase of two beers. I had to spend 15-20 minutes on the phone verifying my ID to get it unfrozen. Obviously, their computer program pays no attention to travel alerts. In the future, I will leave the USAA card home when I travel.

Original review: July 21, 2022

Paid USAA credit card in full weeks before statement payment was due. USAA Bank didn't disclose that it holds payments, even those made via ETF, before applying to account which, of course, would bring "available credit" back to maximum amount. Account even had a credit balance due to a merchant refund. Never had a large credit card payment held because of "algorithms" designed to prevent fraud (USAA's explanation) and as noted above, the payment was made via ETF thus it left my account and received by USAA within 24 hours.

Get buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 16, 2022

I had a fraudulent charge on my credit card, which I disputed and had it removed from my account. However, I was charged interest on those charges and USAA refused to remove them even after several reps verified over the phone that they should be removed. I had multiple reps submit approval to remove these interest charges but the fraud department continuously rejected the claims. Eventually this impacted my credit score so I gave up and paid the interest for purchases I didn’t make so I could just close out the account and never deal with USAA credit services again. I would give zero stars if I could.

Original review: June 15, 2022

It's a shame. I've had a USAA credit card for 29 years! During this time, I've never had a problem; I paid my bill every month and on time, without fail. This past Feb 2022, I had a fraudulent charge show up. This was a product I had, indeed, ordered but what showed up was completely different as in not even in the same category as what I had ordered. Long story short, I received one oven mitt from China. What I had ordered cost approximately $78.00. I submitted every bit of information I had 2 or 3 times to no avail.

USAA wants me to return the oven mitt to China. Really? So, I'm going to pay the cost of returning an item to China and have no idea what that would cost. So then I would end up paying MORE because of a fraudulent charge. This does not seem like a sensible thing to do. After 3 phone calls and getting nowhere, I closed my credit card account. I will be taking my tremendous credit score and giving a better-suited company my business. Apparently, 29 years means nothing to the company.

Original review: June 8, 2022

I have banked with USAA for a dozen years. I opened a USAA $1k secured CC 6 years ago and used and paid it regular. Meantime I opened cards with AE, NFCU, CHASE, Citi, and Discover. This past January I applied for a USAA rate advantage card. I was granted a $20,500 limit. Today, less than 6 months later USAA raised my limit a $1k to $21,500.00. Recent Fed interest hikes and my interest rate is 11%. My USAA secured card is still secured but that's just fine. In the past I saw no issue running a card to the limit, and then I saw the light. I pay off cards monthly by the statement closing date, not by the due date. If I need to keep a balance for the month I keep it below 30% of card limit. I typically keep my balance around 2% of credit line or less. Most are paid off. USAA IS pretty straight up. It's not their fault if someone doesn't understand industry standard rules and guidelines. I can gladly recommend USAA cards and services.

Resolution response: May 28, 2022

After I submitted a complaint with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau I was contacted by the CEO private resolution manager and she then corrected all of the issues. She claimed that a fraud security was turned on, but not one of the CSRs seemed to be able to make that determination, which is locked my account.

Original review: May 19, 2022

I used my card a few times and then it started to be declined. I would call and they couldn't find out why. They double processed my payment and took almost 1000 dollars more than necessary. Customer service was totally useless, card is an embarrassment to try to use.

Original review: Sept. 30, 2021

They have poor communication skills. They made me wait 1/2 hour to speak to an agent. The agent was very rude I could hardly understand her. She refused to accommodate me to the end. I could not remember my password number. She became irritated and betrayed me.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2021

I have been with USAA for over 30 yrs. In the past month they have reported to the credit bureau I was $13 over my limit? Really? And also late back in 2015 & 2016? Is this a joke? Thank you USAA! And thank you for holding my payment for 7 days and making my payment late while I was on vacation!

Original review: June 22, 2021

I paid off a credit card 5 days ago. It is still not reflected in my available balance. This was done via the USAA app. They received the money 5 days ago and withdrew it from my bank account. Electronic transactions do not take 5 days. USAA is earning interest on payments made to them.

Original review: April 18, 2021

We had a $13,000 credit limit, on our USAA credit card. We paid $8500, on the card, and paid off 2 loans at USAA, after which they LOWERED our credit limit by $8000 and dropped our credit score 25 points!!! We had hoped to have an $8500 cushion, for emergencies. Had we known they were going to penalize us, we wouldn't have given THEM the money! Watch out people! You can't get ahead by paying your debts to USAA!

USAA Credit Card Company Information