Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card
  2. Finance
  3. Credit Cards

USAA Credit Card

USAA Credit Card
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.20/5

USAA sells auto and property insurance to members of the U.S. military and their families. USAA doesn't currently participate in the InsuraMatch program. If you're a member of the U.S. military in need of insurance, contact InsuraMatch today to see multiple offers that could work for you. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

USAA Credit Card Reviews

Original review: Jan. 30, 2020

I have been using USAA for 19 years. Paying on time and more than the minimum. I have a credit score of 700 and never have missed any payments. My balance was at 49% credit ratio. They cut my limit for no reason and increased my ratio to 79% and the customer service person said they based that on my credit score, and they have the right to do that. I'm paying them off and will never use them again. I spoke to the office of the CEO, he didn't care either. Do not use USAA.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2020

I received a credit card from USAA that I didn't remember applying for but it sounded like a very good deal. 0% interest for 20 months, 17% after that, and no annual fee. I used a couple of checks to transfer higher interest credit cards to it and charged a couple times at stores. All this worked perfectly. On Dec.30, I received an alert from my Experian credit report that someone had changed my address on my USAA account. I called them and changed it back. I asked them how it got changed and they told me it must have been for someone else's account. Two days later I get an alert from Experian again that I had a large balance change and that my credit score had dropped 77 points. My credit limit mind you, was $20,000. I had used about $3000. The balance said I owed $19,200.

I called USAA and they said my account had been locked for possible fraud use. You think?!?! But they told me they couldn't help me until they had further verification of who I was. I had already given them #ssn, address, name, DOB, phone numbers, email, etc. It took 3 days to finally get them to unlock my account for me. I told them I did not make this much charges. We reviewed the account and found that a woman named Sherry ** had cashed a check on my account in Wesley Chapel, FL for $16,000. Who cashes a check to anyone for that much unless they are in on the scam??!! The representative told me she could tell it was not my handwriting comparing the other checks. She told me she would place a dispute on it and it should come off temporarily in about 10 days.

What the heck! I called our local police here in Fallon, NV and filed a report against this and they will send this report on to FL. In the meantime they haven't sent me a bill cause the account was locked. I'm going to assume from other people that I will now get a late fee and they will cancel my 0% interest. Don't do business with this company. The representatives kept transferring me and deferring me for almost a week from the time I first noticed a problem with my account. If they had followed up on my complaint about the address change maybe there never would have been a fraudulent charge. Luckily if USAA doesn't completely take care of it I have insurance against this kind of fraud charges but I don't know what continuing problems I will receive from USAA for not paying or something.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2020

Had a USAA credit card for 6 months now and have spent 4 different times trying to get the $250 cash reward for spending so much during the first 3 months. I have spent probably 4-5 hours trying to get the incentive. All the other credit card companies that I have dealt with on incentives it is done right away with no problems. I do not recommend their credit card.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

USAA Credit Card Services posted a $7,000.00 payment when the check was clearly written for $2,000.00. When I called to correct the situation at 9:26 am, I was told to fax them a copy of the check which I did (9:30 am) and then they would look into the issue. That was after they wanted me to have my bank cover for their mistake. I called and spoke to 2 different people at 5:55 and was told there is a process and would take time with no indication of when the $5,000.00 would be replaced. Terrie (employee number **) only quoted policy and would send an email tomorrow to try and expedite, but there is a process. I am a 20+ year USAA member and moving my credit card business away. It was the non caring attitude and lack of action to correct the mistake quickly. A day and a half so far without correction. USAA should stick to insurance because the customer service in the banking and credit card business is terrible!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

USAA held my $1800 refund payment hostage for over 30 days; completely unacceptable found out the hard way that USAA Bank does not care about its customers whatsoever. I pay my credit card online and when I scheduled a monthly payment, I am surprised when the record of my scheduled payment disappeared. No notation or reason online from USAA?? To make matters worse, USAA allowed me to schedule a NEW payment on the due date. So, I had 2 scheduled payments which both posted several days later causing my checking account to go negative. When I called USAA for help, they pretty much refused to take me seriously and just quoted policy after policy which only help USAA; and never cared to listen to my issue as a loyal customer and treated me like a “banking rule” not a customer.

I have very good credit and a high credit score and have never been late on a single payment with USAA and to be treated this way is a slap in the face. I called 8-10 times for resolution, which included 3 separate customer service representatives and a "customer service manager" who only tried calling me back twice over a 3-week period. So of course, both times I was in a meeting and got her single voicemail without any information other than to call her back again. Whenever I called her, I got her voicemail. This is the worst customer service I've ever experienced with a financial institution and I will not do additional business with USAA Bank.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

ANNA supervisor ** would not help at all on a credit card that I had fallen behind on due to medical issues. APR 21% and five 34.00 late fees. I had one fee waived 4 mo. ago and they will not waive any other fees. My credit is shot due to my medical issue over the last five mo. Yet She tells me to borrow some more money to pay off this card. USAA is a worthless bank with very poor customer service. I have them for auto insurance and home insurance but will be changing that and closing both those accounts. Goodbye USAA. I will never bank with you again.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

I like that USAA doesn't charge as much APR as most other companies, also some of the benefits like including car renter's insurance is an awesome perk. However, it takes so long for the payments on your card to go through, like two weeks and this whole time you won't able to use your card. I find this delay a bit ridiculous. In comparison when I pay off my AMEX balance, I can almost immediately start using my AMEX card.

Original review: June 28, 2019

I have been with USAA for about 40 years as a customer of auto, home, and life insurance, auto loans, and credit cards. On a few occasions, one very recently, I have disputed charges on my card. Except for this most recent one which is now in the hands of the state attorney general, I have prevailed in every case. However, it almost seemed like I had to fight both the vendor and USAA. This recent case involves a restaurant gift card.

I bought the gift card online using my USAA Visa card but before it could be used the restaurant closed. The restaurant HQ have told me I would receive a credit on my card but each time I talk to them there is a different reason why I haven't received it. This has been going on for weeks. I tried to dispute the charge with USAA but they have told me repeatedly to "wait". That's why I contacted the state's attorney general as a possible fraud case. I am going to get another company's card and I would suggest others do their research before choosing a USAA card.

Original review: May 16, 2019

I was near maxing out my credit card because of a large unexpected expense. I had excellent credit, so instead of paying it off monthly, I decided to pay it off in one large sum with a withdrawal of $10k from my 401k (so that it wouldn’t hurt my credit). This obviously cost me upfront (taxes/penalty) and in the long run (less to retire on), but I figured I’d just use the cc for everyday purchases, continue to pay it monthly, collect rewards, and keep my excellent credit (as I am looking to purchase a home)—so it would be worth it in the end. But immediately after, USAA notifies me that they are lowering my credit limit all the way down to my remaining balance. So that I am then maxed out again!!! I called to explain what I did and why, and they said they feel it is in the best interest of USAA, so they will not be reversing their decision!!

Original review: May 1, 2019

I recently contacted USAA to remove myself from my ex-wife’s credit card accounts, which are in her name and SSN (I’m just an authorized user). I was told you cannot do it without her contacting you or the representative recommended hiring a lawyer if she won’t remove me. Are you kidding? The card were opened with her SSN, in her name.

How come I could do this with Discover Card, American Express, and Chase? USAA is (usually) the pinnacle of customer service and is supposed to be ahead of all these other companies when its customers are concerned. It is disappointing that I have no control over something that affects my credit report, and that USAA is unwilling to help, due to an archaic policy. Please reconsider revising this policy. If other credit card issuers can do this, so can you.

USAA Credit Card Company Information