Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card
USAA Credit Card
3.50/5

USAA Credit Card

USAA sells auto and property insurance to members of the U.S. military and their families. USAA doesn't currently participate in the InsuraMatch program. If you're a member of the U.S. military in need of insurance, contact InsuraMatch today to see multiple offers that could work for you. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

143 USAA Credit Card Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: May 16, 2019

I was near maxing out my credit card because of a large unexpected expense. I had excellent credit, so instead of paying it off monthly, I decided to pay it off in one large sum with a withdrawal of $10k from my 401k (so that it wouldn’t hurt my credit). This obviously cost me upfront (taxes/penalty) and in the long run (less to retire on), but I figured I’d just use the cc for everyday purchases, continue to pay it monthly, collect rewards, and keep my excellent credit (as I am looking to purchase a home)—so it would be worth it in the end. But immediately after, USAA notifies me that they are lowering my credit limit all the way down to my remaining balance. So that I am then maxed out again!!! I called to explain what I did and why, and they said they feel it is in the best interest of USAA, so they will not be reversing their decision!!

Original review: May 1, 2019

I recently contacted USAA to remove myself from my ex-wife’s credit card accounts, which are in her name and SSN (I’m just an authorized user). I was told you cannot do it without her contacting you or the representative recommended hiring a lawyer if she won’t remove me. Are you kidding? The card were opened with her SSN, in her name.

How come I could do this with Discover Card, American Express, and Chase? USAA is (usually) the pinnacle of customer service and is supposed to be ahead of all these other companies when its customers are concerned. It is disappointing that I have no control over something that affects my credit report, and that USAA is unwilling to help, due to an archaic policy. Please reconsider revising this policy. If other credit card issuers can do this, so can you.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 25, 2019

I've read below in another complaint the same message I got on my credit card, "Someone got your card info probably on the internet". Yea right! CLEARLY YOU WERE HACKED, fix your damn system or get better hacker software, now I have to wait for a credit card because of USAA. GREAT JOB! Oh, and another boldface lie! You can't just tell people your system got hacked?? Another lawsuit waiting to happen! Hahaha Jesus Christ. Bye USAA.

Original review: April 23, 2019

I transferred a balance to my USAA card that offered zero interest for a year. I have been consistently paying well over what a minimum payment would be because they said I had no payment due. Come to find out, they do not apply overpayments to the balance on the credit card...they take your overpayment and do a “pay ahead program” just in case you ever need to skip a payment. What?!? My balance never goes down. I spent over 20 minutes on the phone arguing this and they finally unenrolled me from the program so that I can start working on paying the balance down. SOOO frustrating. By the way, if your statement says no minimum payment due on the first page, go to page three for real information.

Original review: March 23, 2019

I have used USAA credit card for years. Though not a lot of perks they were trustworthy. My life cycled with them throughout the year. I never had minimum payments or bogus late fees. I would pay my balances off during the year, but we all know that life happens when we make our plans. When necessary I didn’t hesitate to use this card over sneaky other cards. When I have charges on a card I always make monthly or bimonthly payments. January 2019 I was shy $15 on my payment which was unknown to myself.

In February I had car accident. I was paying for repairs, so I made partial payments and contacted credit card account. They were informed of my next payment so I wouldn’t be delinquent and they were assured of payment. Not sure why but my Credit Human account didn’t release payment on the scheduled Friday. I received a call from USAA and submitted payment directly from my bank. I was then reported for delinquent payments for January and February which affected my credit score as I was refinancing my mortgage in March. I had to halt all plans and was rudely cared for with USAA representatives. I owe 2800. Will shortly pay off this amount. Representatives continue to be rude. I will never do business with them again. FYI new owners and policies. Rude staff that covers up communication.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Original review: March 6, 2019

I became behind on loan I took out because I became unemployed. When I finally got a job I called to negotiate a payment plan. I created a plan that would allow me to become current in 2 months and scheduled my first payment for 2 days after the plan was made. That same day, my loan was charged off. The only reason I found out is when I went to check if the payment was taken out and my account didn’t show the loan. When I called to ask, they said the payment was already being processed. And that’s when they also told me it had been charged off. I am perfectly ok with honoring my debt, but getting the debt written off and collecting payment seems completely unethical.

Original review: March 1, 2019

Just got off the phone with another "Customer Service representative." Nice man but absolutely powerless to do anything but apologize and repeat their "policies." My issue is with a checking account. I had a small negative balance of $47 dollars on that they immediately charged off. Mistake of Mistakes. One of my commission checks erroneously was sent to that charged off account. Instead of sending the money back since the account is no longer open, they kept. Not only that they reported that they received the money a day after they actually got.

Now begins the long process of them using the money to pay off the $47. However they didn't allow that to be "posted" as paid until two days later. From that point on I was advised by the upper management that the three day hold on my money began, which means I won't be able to access or even see the amount of the deposit online or through their app until the following week. Making it a full eight days wait not the three business days from their receipt of the funds.

I multiple different answers from the representative, and after I spoke to a woman supposedly in upper management with the "power" to send my wired funds to my currently open USAA checking account, was informed it's out of her hands until the full amount of time has passed.

When I informed her that it seems all of them were "powerless" to do anything she blamed everything on the process not them. WoooW!!! They are intentionally holding my money hostage after the payment has been paid. And I can't even see the amount that is left. When I asked her to send me a copy of the agreement with USAA that says this is how they handle charge offed accounts she said she couldn't do that. I should have already received a copy when I first opened the account. Sooo I went from having to hear her read their policies on Charged off accounts verbatim on the phone, to not having my request for a written copy denied. This is unacceptable!!! I will be submitting a formal complaint with FDIC regarding these practices and would encourage anyone else with a complaint to do the same.

Part Two. Insurance. I opened a renter's insurance account with them that went from a low monthly payment of $36 to $133 to $236? When I asked for a reason for the sudden increase. I was informed that they didn't know. VERY SADDENED THAT This bank that markets itself as the bank for military personnel is giving the same underhanded tactics as the big banks like Wells Fargo. DO NOT USE THIS BANK!!! They are in it for themselves.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

When I tried setting up a USAA payment online, a confirmation number wasn't given after completing initial setup. The second time through, the payment setup was confirmed for a future date. A week later, I noticed a NSF charge for a second payment. I called NSAA's customer service line to see if I could rectify this situation. The man I spoke with seemed sympathetic, but I realized he was giving me a double talk routine. It sounded like they would stop trying to collect the second payment. He even said he would call my bank to explain the matter to them, to stop payment processing.

The next day, I reviewed my bank account statement and found another NSF charge with today's date. When I talked with another USAA senior service representative (Audry) at the San Antonio office, she contended there was nothing they could do and the 10 day process would continue. In short, their website not only is difficult to navigate, but will take payment actions that aren’t validated. Plus their customer service reps will flat out lie to you. I'm certainly looking for a better CC service to handle my funds.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2019

USAA accidentally tried to pay our bill from an old bank account that had been deleted from our profile about a year ago. By the time they got their mistake figured out and corrected (with our help of course), the payment due date had passed. They charged us $46.33 in finance charges and $22 in late fees! We got them to refund the late fee but they will not refund the $46 in finance charges. We guess this is how they make money off of clients who pay their bills in full every month. They create a problem and then charge the client for USAA's error! And the customer service people were rude and completely uncaring. They really don't care. We are closing our account there and recommend to anyone thinking of this card to look elsewhere. Thanks for your service indeed. Instead they should say, "Thanks for letting us lie and fleece you." Not anymore. We have perfect credit and they treat us like this. No longer...

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I'm not trusting these guys anymore. I pay off my entire balance every 15 days (every paycheck), As soon as I pay it says "$0 balance." The next pay period, they said my balance was $2,000! There is no way I spent $2K in 15 days! And I've been noticing the same for years! How can my bill be so large every month and we barely spend any money! So I manually added up all my expenses, (because their statements do not include a balance after each transaction) and it turns out I had accumulated only $800 or so in expenses! Where did the extra $1,200 come from?!?! I'm getting rid of these guys!

Original review: Dec. 29, 2018

About a month ago I noticed in my Bank of America checking account (not a USAA bank account) that my entire balance due to USAA Bank of $6,300 on my credit card was debited by USAA. Note, I never authorized this. It was all the money I had to pay bills, mortgage, etc. I immediately checked my USAA Credit Card account and sure enough I had a zero balance. What followed was weeks of calls to USAA bank each time asking that they reverse this and return my money. Each call assured me that the reverse was forth coming. When I never got the money I was told they would send me a check. TWO people told me this and I even verified my address for them. So I held on, waiting.

Today (12/28/18) I called and was referred to "Amanda" who is in "Executive Resolutions". At first she proffered that there was a duplicate transaction. I advise there was no duplicate. USAA simply took my money. That was Plan A. Then, Plan B, she first tried to pass this off onto Bank of America. When I summarily rejected that attempt, she went to Plan C. It was my fault because the computer showed a payment (on her end) of $6,300 AND THERE WAS NOTHING SHE COULD DO ABOUT IT. FURTHER, THERE WAS NOTHING I COULD DO ABOUT IT. Well there is. Adios USAA. I've been with you for 40 years. I know there are really sleazy credit card companies out there but I am heartbroken that USAA is one of them.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

WARNING TO FELLOW VETERANS. Stay Away from USAA. They are not interested in helping you as a Active Duty Member or a veteran. They are a Nefarious bank that preys and exploits the "guaranteed" money that is the military community. DO not be fooled by their advertisements. I have had this credit card and dealt with the rude and smug customer support team. They are often snarky and tell you that they can't help you because the department you need is out of the office. Many of these people are not veterans.

I have asked what my payment would be on multiple occasions and never given a straight answer. I was told to multiply my principal by 1% and when I did, it was nowhere near what I owed. When I would pay it, they would hit me with a $50 late charge, which they were unwavering to get rid of. I have gotten multiple calls daily (sometimes 4 a day) where they just hang up on me. I recently payed off my card in whole and they made and error of leaving 4 cents on the card. They have smugly told me that I still owe them $4.72 because of their error... It's little games like this that they play with Veterans. They won't admit to their mistakes and make us pay for it.

I wish that the DoD would reconsider them advertising in their magazines, putting posters up, and being at anything military related. This is just a bunch of business me 'tapping' a market and wanting to exploit Our service members for money. I'm not sure how much of a leviathan this organization is with the right people in the military, but it needs to stop. I'm not the only Vet/service member that has been affected by this organization and I think our Military can help us by preventing this org from exploiting our members with advertisements and the whole "we support vets" notion they exploit for their gain. They are just a scumbag bank that has no interest in helping you and getting as much money out of you as possible. Horrible company with bad leadership.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

Around 2007-08, when the economy had be wrecked by the Great Recession, I became financially vulnerable. This is also when USAA abandoned me. Prior to the recession, I had acquired a USAA credit card at 4.25% fixed. When the recession hit, I used this card as my safety net. While this was a tricky situation, it was manageable. Then, one day in 2008, after historically paying all my bills on time, I received a letter from my USAA credit card. It informed me that my fixed rate would be increasing to 16%. Since this was not the original terms of my card member agreement, I was offered the option to decline the increase and close my account. I chose to close my account, so that I could continue to pay down the balance at 4.25%.

A few months later, after continuing to pay all my bills on time, I received another, more troubling letter. This time, USAA said it found a loophole that allowed them to retroactively increase my rate to over 20%. I wrote many letters to the bank’s president and regulators, but due to all the housing mess, my pleas fell on deaf ears. I warned USAA that if my rate increased to over five times my current rate, that would break me financially and force me to default on the credit card. No one listened, and my rate jumped through the roof for no real apparent reason. At this point, my monthly payments wouldn’t even cover the interest. So, without any other options, I defaulted on the account.

I endured 7 years of non-stop harassment from debt collectors, calling me day and night. I spent all this time on the sidelines, unable to buy a house when the market was low. I delayed marriage, and having children too. I spent 3 more years rebuilding my credit. USAA Bank is an evil soul-sucking branch of an otherwise great insurance company. Don't do business with these sharks.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I live in England and was unable to make a local online purchase because USAA could not send me a verification code. Their mobile app was down (which is where they sent the verification code), so I called a customer service agent who tried to give a pre-authorization but was perplexed that I would try to purchase something in a currency besides US dollars and was unable to come up with an appropriate conversion. Then she informed me that the pre-authorization wouldn't even count as the verification and I still needed the code. It seems that they have created a security system that is smarter than they are.

On a separate note, I have had my card compromised 2x in the last 8 months. It is a joint account with my wife with 2 separate cards issued with different numbers. The first time an agent told us that they could freeze/cancel mine while hers would still work. I think we all know where this is going... That afternoon of course neither of our cards worked so we were left without access to our credit cards for over 2 weeks in a foreign country where that has been our primary means of paying for goods. The second time this happened we were told the same thing, but of course had the same result. I appreciate their fraud response and protections but their front line customer service agents seem to have progressively gotten less knowledgeable and able to help customers.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

Just to post a comment in support of us "liars" according to Mr. USAA below. I have been a member for 26 years and counting. I am currently disabled and live on a very tight income like the majority of us "liars". I occasionally have to use my USAA card to cover major expenses over the years because the interest rate is good compared to others. Recently being a good customer and not a "liar" I paid down a large portion of my balance which I didn't have to do only because I want to strengthen my credit score for a refinance. What did they do? They cut my credit limit almost 50% and caused my score to dip considerably. After Pearl Harboring them on Facebook with their consumer ratings from this site they had a worker bee from the Office of the CEO call me to discuss.

After a long and pleasant conversation all it amounted to was a CYA call from the Man in the High Castle with the Gear in the Rear and Dilly Dilly! I then commented again on my experience on Facebook and was told I would be banned because my situation was resolved? Best way to get under their skin is on Facebook. They used to be great but now are just another lowlife bank like the rest. Check out their ratings on their products here. They can only muster a 3 on one and a few 1s.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I cannot believe all the negative comments that people have written about the USAA Visa Credit Card. I truly believe they are all liars. I got a USAA credit card several years ago with a $1500.00 credit limit. Please note that EVERY month I always paid at least 2 or 3 times the minimum payment. Every 6 months, USAA increased my credit limit by $500.00 until it reached $3,500.00. After approximately 2 years, they increased my credit limit by $10,000.00 to $13,500.00. Folks, all you have to do is pay more than the minimum payment and make your payment BEFORE the due date. I guess if I started missing payments, I would be one of those people that USAA "screwed" over.

Original review: June 22, 2018

I work hard to make payments on my American Express card with USAA. As soon as payment is posted they turn around and charge interest the same day almost making it impossible to pay off! I wouldnt recommend opening a card with them.

Original review: June 20, 2018

Last month I used my Secured Visa card, charging something for $21. It's only the 3rd time I used it. Recently I subscribed also to myFico.com. That's when I noticed that all 3 of my credit scored dropped 2-5 points. The reason given: My debt increased by $21. This was reported even though I pay off the complete balance each statement well before the due date. Maybe this is reported because it's a 'Secured' card'? I only got the card because I was thinking of financing a new car and getting insurance thru USAA. Now there's no way. I'm calling to close my account but based on other reviews I've read, it might take time and I'll need to be very clear and aggressive to get it done. I'm a vet from a family of vets. Terrible that they hurt my credit score. Worth another dip to end this card.

Original review: June 15, 2018

Apparently the marketing department and customer service of USAA credit card services do not value the veteran status. The credit card offers are sent to the member and any person that has applied for the USAA benefits even if denied. I applied under our member login but the offer that was emailed directly to me (I'm not the veteran) for zero interest and balance transfer was not applied to the account even though it was discussed on multiple occasions. Elevated the issue to three levels with no satisfaction. DO NOT APPLY FOR ANY CARD WITH USAA - they will find a way to screw it up. It's a legalized SCAM.

Original review: May 29, 2018

Do NOT do business with these crooks. The credit card department of USAA is the worst. It took 4 calls to simply close my Visa account with USAA. The people are incompetent, rude, hateful and overall useless.

Original review: April 30, 2018

My identity was stolen last week, somehow the people involved were able to transfer my telephone number to another carrier and then started setting up mobile transfers using the Zelle App with USAA. I didn't notice until my card was declined twice at two different stores. I tried to login to my USAA account, but it said that my account was locked due to security reasons. My wife called them to see what was going on while I was on another phone talking to my cell provider to see what happened on their end, the customer service rep in the fraud department told my wife that they needed to speak with me and to have me call at any time to get this matter sorted out. I got off the phone with my cell provider an hour later and called USAA back.

Once I got through to the LOST/STOLEN card extension the customer service rep cut me off halfway through my sentence and said, "I will transfer you to the fraud department." After about 2 minutes I was forwarded to an automated service saying they were closed and their regular business hours were...so I hung up and called back, got through to a customer service rep that once AGAIN cut me off and transferred me without hearing what I had to say...and again I got a voice recording...so I called back a third time and this time I didn't say I needed to talk to someone about stolen identity.

I asked to talk to a supervisor right away, the customer service rep asked if there was anything she could do and I said, "I would tell you, but I don't want to be cut off just to be transferred to a voice recording" then asked for a supervisor again so she placed me on a "brief" hold and came back a couple minutes later to tell me that "all of our supervisors are busy right now, maybe I can help if you let me try." So I told her what was going on and that I did not want to be transferred unless it was to a live person, she put me on another "brief" hold and then came back and said she was sorry that the fraud department was closed for the day and I would have to call back the next day in order to get things sorted out.

I told her that the people were actively as we were speaking taking money out of my account using a service THEY provided to someone that was not authorized on my account and she said, "unfortunately sir there is nothing me or any supervisor can do for you here today, you will have to call back tomorrow." SERIOUSLY USAA!!? People are stealing my money that I have trusted you to keep safe from this exact moment and your answer is to call back tomorrow!!! So me TRUSTING (big mistake) the word of your employees I called back the next day and FINALLY was able to get through to someone in the fraud department, after explaining everything that happened and telling the customer service rep in the fraud department that I was told they were closed yesterday he kindly informed me the the fraud department is one of the departments that are open 24/7!!!

COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE AND GARBAGE! I will NEVER, I repeat NEVER bank with USAA, refer anyone else to bank with USAA, or stop telling people how you can't be trusted. I was willing to overlook the fact that you guys don't pay active duty military members during a government shutdown, but no longer. Navy federal is a million times better and their customer service for anything is open 24/7.

Original review: April 27, 2018

Have not used the rewards yet, it takes forever to accumulate enough points to use. When I do use them it will probably be for a very short flight to someplace I do not want to go.

Original review: April 20, 2018

I have never dealt with a company that gets more things wrong and treats me as horribly than this company (and that's a lot of companies). I am a physician and know how to treat people well. They have stolen from me and NEVER FOLLOW THROUGH, so it's impossible to resolve anything. Stay far clear of this gang.

Original review: April 14, 2018

We recently changed to USAA car insurance. We opened an USAA credit card with them at the same time to receive a $10 discount. We had two cars and a month and a half into it, we sold the second car. I contacted them immediately to drop the second car, which they did. There was quite a bit of confusion with the monthly billing. I spend hours on the phone. I thought I had paid what I should have and it turns out that I was confused and did not pay what I was supposed to. It was a red flag in the beginning that they were charging 27.9% interest and we have good credit!

When I finally received a billing that I did not understand what I did wrong, the credit card company DENIED taking off the interest they were charging. GOOD companies will do a one time removal, since there were a misunderstanding or accidental mistake. THIS COMPANY, again, HAS NO CUSTOMER SERVICE. They just want to choke people to get the 27.9%. I hope this customer service is not an indication of what their car insurance is. I was told they would have a CEO contacted by email of my complaint, but was also told not to NOT count on any answer!!!

Original review: April 8, 2018

After noticing my check hadn't cleared I called seven days and explained checked was mailed March 20th. I called April 1st and paid with bank card. April 2nd they maliciously reduced my card limit from $3500 - $3000. I haven't NEVER been late and HAVEN'T used card in over (TWO YEARS). They treat good bill paying veterans like crap!

Original review: March 11, 2018

Two years ago, I received my USAA credit card, with a credit limit of 13k. I was so happy; I could now start fixing up my house and wouldn't need a loan. With that high a limit, I also figured my credit score (due to "credit utilization ratio") would increase. My first project, the kitchen, cost 11k. I paid back 1k a month until it was near paid off and then started another project. Back up to almost 11k, again I was paying 1k a month, until it was down to about 6k, I paid $700.00 per month (I got injured at work and was on workman's comp for 10 months). Never a late payment, always well above the minimum.

Suddenly, last August, I received a letter and they dropped my limit to $3,200. I called and eventually got one of their special people to call back. They had no reason. They simply just did it. I went over my credit scores which had risen over the last 1.5 years, my payments and frustrated with me, their representative used excuses like I ran it too high, then I didn't use it enough, finally, she simply said they have the right to do whatever they want. So now, my limit was $3,200.00 while I still owed 5k!!! While they didn't hit me with overdue fees, it affected my credit score ("credit utilization ratio"). While I have a couple of other credit cards in good standing, this over limit position dropped my score. I've called again to no avail. I'm now at about 1.5k or less. I'll be paying it off and closing my account with USAA.

Original review: March 3, 2018

Please people "DO NOT" get a credit card with this Bank! They charge 27.99 % every month, not annually. They are just as bad as a payday lender. Your payments continue to go up even if you don't use the card! They come on TV as if they are a savior of veterans when actually they are taking advantage of them. I will be turning them over to the state attorney general here in Ohio. This company is based outta Las Vegas, NV. Please don't get involved with these loan sharks and criminals. They should be charged under the RICO statute for running a criminal enterprise!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

I opened a secured credit card which I used once and haven't used in the past year. I was billed an annual fee and when I called to have that cancelled and the card closed, they refused to drop the $35 fee. So, considering it's a fee going forward and not a fee that covered you for the past year, this is wrong. Closed my account and CD with them and had them take the monies out of the CD. Time on hold and transfers to three people.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

When recently traveling, I used the credit card to purchase currency for the trip. They consider that a cash advance and charged a cash advance fee, then the bill comes and they have charged interest on the cash advance because I didn't pay it immediately. I paid the card off in full after complaining and hearing they can do nothing about the charge and guess what? I got another interest charge the next month, what for you might ask, because one, get it ONE, charge was made after the bill drop and for $20 at that, so that means they can carry over the cash advance and charge interest AGAIN.

Just for the record, the bill "dropped" on the 12th and I was informed of the bill on the 16th. What is so frustrating about all of this is they charge the interest on the FULL amount of the cash advance BOTH times even though I paid the card off to a ZERO (0) balance before the bill was due. Every time I have called USAA their lack of customer service has spent over an hour putting me on and off hold to investigate the issue just to tell me there's nothing they can do about it because it's an interest charge.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I'm attempting to pay my husband's credit card at USAA on the website. My husband had a stroke and is severely disabled. I paid his bill for the last 2 months online, but somehow this month I cannot get into his account, it is locked. I tried to reset the acct., it says it will text me the new reset on cell. WE do not have cell service where we live therefore cannot receive texts. They say I have to be power of Atty. and then I can pay his bill. I have to fax it to them.

What a joke, we have no fax, we are homebound and they do not want to take our money, but they would be very happy to charge us late fees. I have tried to speak with someone to no avail. Is this the way to treat someone who has bravely served this country so some people can use a cell phone and fax machine? What is the matter with these conglomerates? No compassion, no understanding. I would never recommend USAA to anyone for anything. Can't wait to be out from under their auspices.

USAA Credit Card Company Information