Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card
USAA Credit Card
3.43/5

USAA Credit Card

USAA sells auto and property insurance to members of the U.S. military and their families. USAA doesn't currently participate in the InsuraMatch program. If you're a member of the U.S. military in need of insurance, contact InsuraMatch today to see multiple offers that could work for you. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Get better rewards

Need a more rewarding credit card? Find the best card for you.

Choose My Card

USAA Credit Card Reviews

Original review: Sept. 11, 2019

USAA Credit Card Services posted a $7,000.00 payment when the check was clearly written for $2,000.00. When I called to correct the situation at 9:26 am, I was told to fax them a copy of the check which I did (9:30 am) and then they would look into the issue. That was after they wanted me to have my bank cover for their mistake. I called and spoke to 2 different people at 5:55 and was told there is a process and would take time with no indication of when the $5,000.00 would be replaced. Terrie (employee number **) only quoted policy and would send an email tomorrow to try and expedite, but there is a process. I am a 20+ year USAA member and moving my credit card business away. It was the non caring attitude and lack of action to correct the mistake quickly. A day and a half so far without correction. USAA should stick to insurance because the customer service in the banking and credit card business is terrible!

Original review: Sept. 9, 2019

USAA held my $1800 refund payment hostage for over 30 days; completely unacceptable found out the hard way that USAA Bank does not care about its customers whatsoever. I pay my credit card online and when I scheduled a monthly payment, I am surprised when the record of my scheduled payment disappeared. No notation or reason online from USAA?? To make matters worse, USAA allowed me to schedule a NEW payment on the due date. So, I had 2 scheduled payments which both posted several days later causing my checking account to go negative. When I called USAA for help, they pretty much refused to take me seriously and just quoted policy after policy which only help USAA; and never cared to listen to my issue as a loyal customer and treated me like a “banking rule” not a customer.

I have very good credit and a high credit score and have never been late on a single payment with USAA and to be treated this way is a slap in the face. I called 8-10 times for resolution, which included 3 separate customer service representatives and a "customer service manager" who only tried calling me back twice over a 3-week period. So of course, both times I was in a meeting and got her single voicemail without any information other than to call her back again. Whenever I called her, I got her voicemail. This is the worst customer service I've ever experienced with a financial institution and I will not do additional business with USAA Bank.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 29, 2019

ANNA supervisor ** would not help at all on a credit card that I had fallen behind on due to medical issues. APR 21% and five 34.00 late fees. I had one fee waived 4 mo. ago and they will not waive any other fees. My credit is shot due to my medical issue over the last five mo. Yet She tells me to borrow some more money to pay off this card. USAA is a worthless bank with very poor customer service. I have them for auto insurance and home insurance but will be changing that and closing both those accounts. Goodbye USAA. I will never bank with you again.

Original review: Aug. 15, 2019

I like that USAA doesn't charge as much APR as most other companies, also some of the benefits like including car renter's insurance is an awesome perk. However, it takes so long for the payments on your card to go through, like two weeks and this whole time you won't able to use your card. I find this delay a bit ridiculous. In comparison when I pay off my AMEX balance, I can almost immediately start using my AMEX card.

Original review: June 28, 2019

I have been with USAA for about 40 years as a customer of auto, home, and life insurance, auto loans, and credit cards. On a few occasions, one very recently, I have disputed charges on my card. Except for this most recent one which is now in the hands of the state attorney general, I have prevailed in every case. However, it almost seemed like I had to fight both the vendor and USAA. This recent case involves a restaurant gift card.

I bought the gift card online using my USAA Visa card but before it could be used the restaurant closed. The restaurant HQ have told me I would receive a credit on my card but each time I talk to them there is a different reason why I haven't received it. This has been going on for weeks. I tried to dispute the charge with USAA but they have told me repeatedly to "wait". That's why I contacted the state's attorney general as a possible fraud case. I am going to get another company's card and I would suggest others do their research before choosing a USAA card.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Original review: May 16, 2019

I was near maxing out my credit card because of a large unexpected expense. I had excellent credit, so instead of paying it off monthly, I decided to pay it off in one large sum with a withdrawal of $10k from my 401k (so that it wouldn’t hurt my credit). This obviously cost me upfront (taxes/penalty) and in the long run (less to retire on), but I figured I’d just use the cc for everyday purchases, continue to pay it monthly, collect rewards, and keep my excellent credit (as I am looking to purchase a home)—so it would be worth it in the end. But immediately after, USAA notifies me that they are lowering my credit limit all the way down to my remaining balance. So that I am then maxed out again!!! I called to explain what I did and why, and they said they feel it is in the best interest of USAA, so they will not be reversing their decision!!

Original review: May 1, 2019

I recently contacted USAA to remove myself from my ex-wife’s credit card accounts, which are in her name and SSN (I’m just an authorized user). I was told you cannot do it without her contacting you or the representative recommended hiring a lawyer if she won’t remove me. Are you kidding? The card were opened with her SSN, in her name.

How come I could do this with Discover Card, American Express, and Chase? USAA is (usually) the pinnacle of customer service and is supposed to be ahead of all these other companies when its customers are concerned. It is disappointing that I have no control over something that affects my credit report, and that USAA is unwilling to help, due to an archaic policy. Please reconsider revising this policy. If other credit card issuers can do this, so can you.

Original review: April 25, 2019

I've read below in another complaint the same message I got on my credit card, "Someone got your card info probably on the internet". Yea right! CLEARLY YOU WERE HACKED, fix your damn system or get better hacker software, now I have to wait for a credit card because of USAA. GREAT JOB! Oh, and another boldface lie! You can't just tell people your system got hacked?? Another lawsuit waiting to happen! Hahaha Jesus Christ. Bye USAA.

Original review: April 23, 2019

I transferred a balance to my USAA card that offered zero interest for a year. I have been consistently paying well over what a minimum payment would be because they said I had no payment due. Come to find out, they do not apply overpayments to the balance on the credit card...they take your overpayment and do a “pay ahead program” just in case you ever need to skip a payment. What?!? My balance never goes down. I spent over 20 minutes on the phone arguing this and they finally unenrolled me from the program so that I can start working on paying the balance down. SOOO frustrating. By the way, if your statement says no minimum payment due on the first page, go to page three for real information.

Original review: March 23, 2019

I have used USAA credit card for years. Though not a lot of perks they were trustworthy. My life cycled with them throughout the year. I never had minimum payments or bogus late fees. I would pay my balances off during the year, but we all know that life happens when we make our plans. When necessary I didn’t hesitate to use this card over sneaky other cards. When I have charges on a card I always make monthly or bimonthly payments. January 2019 I was shy $15 on my payment which was unknown to myself.

In February I had car accident. I was paying for repairs, so I made partial payments and contacted credit card account. They were informed of my next payment so I wouldn’t be delinquent and they were assured of payment. Not sure why but my Credit Human account didn’t release payment on the scheduled Friday. I received a call from USAA and submitted payment directly from my bank. I was then reported for delinquent payments for January and February which affected my credit score as I was refinancing my mortgage in March. I had to halt all plans and was rudely cared for with USAA representatives. I owe 2800. Will shortly pay off this amount. Representatives continue to be rude. I will never do business with them again. FYI new owners and policies. Rude staff that covers up communication.

USAA Credit Card Company Information