USAA Credit Card
1.30/5
Based on 104 reviews that contain star ratings

USAA Credit Card

USAA sells auto and property insurance to members of the U.S. military and their families. USAA doesn't currently participate in the InsuraMatch program. If you're a member of the U.S. military in need of insurance, contact InsuraMatch today to see multiple offers that could work for you. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

132 USAA Credit Card Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

WARNING TO FELLOW VETERANS. Stay Away from USAA. They are not interested in helping you as a Active Duty Member or a veteran. They are a Nefarious bank that preys and exploits the "guaranteed" money that is the military community. DO not be fooled by their advertisements. I have had this credit card and dealt with the rude and smug customer support team. They are often snarky and tell you that they can't help you because the department you need is out of the office. Many of these people are not veterans.

I have asked what my payment would be on multiple occasions and never given a straight answer. I was told to multiply my principal by 1% and when I did, it was nowhere near what I owed. When I would pay it, they would hit me with a $50 late charge, which they were unwavering to get rid of. I have gotten multiple calls daily (sometimes 4 a day) where they just hang up on me. I recently payed off my card in whole and they made and error of leaving 4 cents on the card. They have smugly told me that I still owe them $4.72 because of their error... It's little games like this that they play with Veterans. They won't admit to their mistakes and make us pay for it.

I wish that the DoD would reconsider them advertising in their magazines, putting posters up, and being at anything military related. This is just a bunch of business me 'tapping' a market and wanting to exploit Our service members for money. I'm not sure how much of a leviathan this organization is with the right people in the military, but it needs to stop. I'm not the only Vet/service member that has been affected by this organization and I think our Military can help us by preventing this org from exploiting our members with advertisements and the whole "we support vets" notion they exploit for their gain. They are just a scumbag bank that has no interest in helping you and getting as much money out of you as possible. Horrible company with bad leadership.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2018

Around 2007-08, when the economy had be wrecked by the Great Recession, I became financially vulnerable. This is also when USAA abandoned me. Prior to the recession, I had acquired a USAA credit card at 4.25% fixed. When the recession hit, I used this card as my safety net. While this was a tricky situation, it was manageable. Then, one day in 2008, after historically paying all my bills on time, I received a letter from my USAA credit card. It informed me that my fixed rate would be increasing to 16%. Since this was not the original terms of my card member agreement, I was offered the option to decline the increase and close my account. I chose to close my account, so that I could continue to pay down the balance at 4.25%.

A few months later, after continuing to pay all my bills on time, I received another, more troubling letter. This time, USAA said it found a loophole that allowed them to retroactively increase my rate to over 20%. I wrote many letters to the bank’s president and regulators, but due to all the housing mess, my pleas fell on deaf ears. I warned USAA that if my rate increased to over five times my current rate, that would break me financially and force me to default on the credit card. No one listened, and my rate jumped through the roof for no real apparent reason. At this point, my monthly payments wouldn’t even cover the interest. So, without any other options, I defaulted on the account.

I endured 7 years of non-stop harassment from debt collectors, calling me day and night. I spent all this time on the sidelines, unable to buy a house when the market was low. I delayed marriage, and having children too. I spent 3 more years rebuilding my credit. USAA Bank is an evil soul-sucking branch of an otherwise great insurance company. Don't do business with these sharks.

Get expert buying tips about Credit Cards delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Sept. 16, 2018

I live in England and was unable to make a local online purchase because USAA could not send me a verification code. Their mobile app was down (which is where they sent the verification code), so I called a customer service agent who tried to give a pre-authorization but was perplexed that I would try to purchase something in a currency besides US dollars and was unable to come up with an appropriate conversion. Then she informed me that the pre-authorization wouldn't even count as the verification and I still needed the code. It seems that they have created a security system that is smarter than they are.

On a separate note, I have had my card compromised 2x in the last 8 months. It is a joint account with my wife with 2 separate cards issued with different numbers. The first time an agent told us that they could freeze/cancel mine while hers would still work. I think we all know where this is going... That afternoon of course neither of our cards worked so we were left without access to our credit cards for over 2 weeks in a foreign country where that has been our primary means of paying for goods. The second time this happened we were told the same thing, but of course had the same result. I appreciate their fraud response and protections but their front line customer service agents seem to have progressively gotten less knowledgeable and able to help customers.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

Just to post a comment in support of us "liars" according to Mr. USAA below. I have been a member for 26 years and counting. I am currently disabled and live on a very tight income like the majority of us "liars". I occasionally have to use my USAA card to cover major expenses over the years because the interest rate is good compared to others. Recently being a good customer and not a "liar" I paid down a large portion of my balance which I didn't have to do only because I want to strengthen my credit score for a refinance. What did they do? They cut my credit limit almost 50% and caused my score to dip considerably. After Pearl Harboring them on Facebook with their consumer ratings from this site they had a worker bee from the Office of the CEO call me to discuss.

After a long and pleasant conversation all it amounted to was a CYA call from the Man in the High Castle with the Gear in the Rear and Dilly Dilly! I then commented again on my experience on Facebook and was told I would be banned because my situation was resolved? Best way to get under their skin is on Facebook. They used to be great but now are just another lowlife bank like the rest. Check out their ratings on their products here. They can only muster a 3 on one and a few 1s.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I cannot believe all the negative comments that people have written about the USAA Visa Credit Card. I truly believe they are all liars. I got a USAA credit card several years ago with a $1500.00 credit limit. Please note that EVERY month I always paid at least 2 or 3 times the minimum payment. Every 6 months, USAA increased my credit limit by $500.00 until it reached $3,500.00. After approximately 2 years, they increased my credit limit by $10,000.00 to $13,500.00. Folks, all you have to do is pay more than the minimum payment and make your payment BEFORE the due date. I guess if I started missing payments, I would be one of those people that USAA "screwed" over.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Original review: June 22, 2018

I work hard to make payments on my American Express card with USAA. As soon as payment is posted they turn around and charge interest the same day almost making it impossible to pay off! I wouldnt recommend opening a card with them.

Original review: June 20, 2018

Last month I used my Secured Visa card, charging something for $21. It's only the 3rd time I used it. Recently I subscribed also to myFico.com. That's when I noticed that all 3 of my credit scored dropped 2-5 points. The reason given: My debt increased by $21. This was reported even though I pay off the complete balance each statement well before the due date. Maybe this is reported because it's a 'Secured' card'? I only got the card because I was thinking of financing a new car and getting insurance thru USAA. Now there's no way. I'm calling to close my account but based on other reviews I've read, it might take time and I'll need to be very clear and aggressive to get it done. I'm a vet from a family of vets. Terrible that they hurt my credit score. Worth another dip to end this card.

Original review: June 15, 2018

Apparently the marketing department and customer service of USAA credit card services do not value the veteran status. The credit card offers are sent to the member and any person that has applied for the USAA benefits even if denied. I applied under our member login but the offer that was emailed directly to me (I'm not the veteran) for zero interest and balance transfer was not applied to the account even though it was discussed on multiple occasions. Elevated the issue to three levels with no satisfaction. DO NOT APPLY FOR ANY CARD WITH USAA - they will find a way to screw it up. It's a legalized SCAM.

Original review: May 29, 2018

Do NOT do business with these crooks. The credit card department of USAA is the worst. It took 4 calls to simply close my Visa account with USAA. The people are incompetent, rude, hateful and overall useless.

Original review: April 30, 2018

My identity was stolen last week, somehow the people involved were able to transfer my telephone number to another carrier and then started setting up mobile transfers using the Zelle App with USAA. I didn't notice until my card was declined twice at two different stores. I tried to login to my USAA account, but it said that my account was locked due to security reasons. My wife called them to see what was going on while I was on another phone talking to my cell provider to see what happened on their end, the customer service rep in the fraud department told my wife that they needed to speak with me and to have me call at any time to get this matter sorted out. I got off the phone with my cell provider an hour later and called USAA back.

Once I got through to the LOST/STOLEN card extension the customer service rep cut me off halfway through my sentence and said, "I will transfer you to the fraud department." After about 2 minutes I was forwarded to an automated service saying they were closed and their regular business hours were...so I hung up and called back, got through to a customer service rep that once AGAIN cut me off and transferred me without hearing what I had to say...and again I got a voice recording...so I called back a third time and this time I didn't say I needed to talk to someone about stolen identity.

I asked to talk to a supervisor right away, the customer service rep asked if there was anything she could do and I said, "I would tell you, but I don't want to be cut off just to be transferred to a voice recording" then asked for a supervisor again so she placed me on a "brief" hold and came back a couple minutes later to tell me that "all of our supervisors are busy right now, maybe I can help if you let me try." So I told her what was going on and that I did not want to be transferred unless it was to a live person, she put me on another "brief" hold and then came back and said she was sorry that the fraud department was closed for the day and I would have to call back the next day in order to get things sorted out.

I told her that the people were actively as we were speaking taking money out of my account using a service THEY provided to someone that was not authorized on my account and she said, "unfortunately sir there is nothing me or any supervisor can do for you here today, you will have to call back tomorrow." SERIOUSLY USAA!!? People are stealing my money that I have trusted you to keep safe from this exact moment and your answer is to call back tomorrow!!! So me TRUSTING (big mistake) the word of your employees I called back the next day and FINALLY was able to get through to someone in the fraud department, after explaining everything that happened and telling the customer service rep in the fraud department that I was told they were closed yesterday he kindly informed me the the fraud department is one of the departments that are open 24/7!!!

COMPLETELY UNACCEPTABLE AND GARBAGE! I will NEVER, I repeat NEVER bank with USAA, refer anyone else to bank with USAA, or stop telling people how you can't be trusted. I was willing to overlook the fact that you guys don't pay active duty military members during a government shutdown, but no longer. Navy federal is a million times better and their customer service for anything is open 24/7.

Original review: April 27, 2018

Have not used the rewards yet, it takes forever to accumulate enough points to use. When I do use them it will probably be for a very short flight to someplace I do not want to go.

Original review: April 20, 2018

I have never dealt with a company that gets more things wrong and treats me as horribly than this company (and that's a lot of companies). I am a physician and know how to treat people well. They have stolen from me and NEVER FOLLOW THROUGH, so it's impossible to resolve anything. Stay far clear of this gang.

Original review: April 14, 2018

We recently changed to USAA car insurance. We opened an USAA credit card with them at the same time to receive a $10 discount. We had two cars and a month and a half into it, we sold the second car. I contacted them immediately to drop the second car, which they did. There was quite a bit of confusion with the monthly billing. I spend hours on the phone. I thought I had paid what I should have and it turns out that I was confused and did not pay what I was supposed to. It was a red flag in the beginning that they were charging 27.9% interest and we have good credit!

When I finally received a billing that I did not understand what I did wrong, the credit card company DENIED taking off the interest they were charging. GOOD companies will do a one time removal, since there were a misunderstanding or accidental mistake. THIS COMPANY, again, HAS NO CUSTOMER SERVICE. They just want to choke people to get the 27.9%. I hope this customer service is not an indication of what their car insurance is. I was told they would have a CEO contacted by email of my complaint, but was also told not to NOT count on any answer!!!

Original review: April 8, 2018

After noticing my check hadn't cleared I called seven days and explained checked was mailed March 20th. I called April 1st and paid with bank card. April 2nd they maliciously reduced my card limit from $3500 - $3000. I haven't NEVER been late and HAVEN'T used card in over (TWO YEARS). They treat good bill paying veterans like crap!

Original review: March 11, 2018

Two years ago, I received my USAA credit card, with a credit limit of 13k. I was so happy; I could now start fixing up my house and wouldn't need a loan. With that high a limit, I also figured my credit score (due to "credit utilization ratio") would increase. My first project, the kitchen, cost 11k. I paid back 1k a month until it was near paid off and then started another project. Back up to almost 11k, again I was paying 1k a month, until it was down to about 6k, I paid $700.00 per month (I got injured at work and was on workman's comp for 10 months). Never a late payment, always well above the minimum.

Suddenly, last August, I received a letter and they dropped my limit to $3,200. I called and eventually got one of their special people to call back. They had no reason. They simply just did it. I went over my credit scores which had risen over the last 1.5 years, my payments and frustrated with me, their representative used excuses like I ran it too high, then I didn't use it enough, finally, she simply said they have the right to do whatever they want. So now, my limit was $3,200.00 while I still owed 5k!!! While they didn't hit me with overdue fees, it affected my credit score ("credit utilization ratio"). While I have a couple of other credit cards in good standing, this over limit position dropped my score. I've called again to no avail. I'm now at about 1.5k or less. I'll be paying it off and closing my account with USAA.

Original review: March 3, 2018

Please people "DO NOT" get a credit card with this Bank! They charge 27.99 % every month, not annually. They are just as bad as a payday lender. Your payments continue to go up even if you don't use the card! They come on TV as if they are a savior of veterans when actually they are taking advantage of them. I will be turning them over to the state attorney general here in Ohio. This company is based outta Las Vegas, NV. Please don't get involved with these loan sharks and criminals. They should be charged under the RICO statute for running a criminal enterprise!

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

I opened a secured credit card which I used once and haven't used in the past year. I was billed an annual fee and when I called to have that cancelled and the card closed, they refused to drop the $35 fee. So, considering it's a fee going forward and not a fee that covered you for the past year, this is wrong. Closed my account and CD with them and had them take the monies out of the CD. Time on hold and transfers to three people.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

When recently traveling, I used the credit card to purchase currency for the trip. They consider that a cash advance and charged a cash advance fee, then the bill comes and they have charged interest on the cash advance because I didn't pay it immediately. I paid the card off in full after complaining and hearing they can do nothing about the charge and guess what? I got another interest charge the next month, what for you might ask, because one, get it ONE, charge was made after the bill drop and for $20 at that, so that means they can carry over the cash advance and charge interest AGAIN.

Just for the record, the bill "dropped" on the 12th and I was informed of the bill on the 16th. What is so frustrating about all of this is they charge the interest on the FULL amount of the cash advance BOTH times even though I paid the card off to a ZERO (0) balance before the bill was due. Every time I have called USAA their lack of customer service has spent over an hour putting me on and off hold to investigate the issue just to tell me there's nothing they can do about it because it's an interest charge.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I'm attempting to pay my husband's credit card at USAA on the website. My husband had a stroke and is severely disabled. I paid his bill for the last 2 months online, but somehow this month I cannot get into his account, it is locked. I tried to reset the acct., it says it will text me the new reset on cell. WE do not have cell service where we live therefore cannot receive texts. They say I have to be power of Atty. and then I can pay his bill. I have to fax it to them.

What a joke, we have no fax, we are homebound and they do not want to take our money, but they would be very happy to charge us late fees. I have tried to speak with someone to no avail. Is this the way to treat someone who has bravely served this country so some people can use a cell phone and fax machine? What is the matter with these conglomerates? No compassion, no understanding. I would never recommend USAA to anyone for anything. Can't wait to be out from under their auspices.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

My card was hacked Dec 22 and I requested a new card. After 6 more calls asking to speak to a supervisor, which was no done, I still do NOT have a new card. This is the worst customer service I have ever encountered. Too bad I can’t rate them less than 1.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

They originally signed me up for 0% interest 15 months on balance transfers. Turns out I'm on the phone with them they can't find my information or my ORIGINAL SIGNUP! Don't waste your time. This credit card company doesn't hold up on their end!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

Over 6 years ago we did something that resulted in USAA Visa coverage a charge for $200. That was considered a cash advance. Other than that we NEVER use cash advances or transfer balance, etc., anything that would qualify as a cash advance. Ever since then, or the past 6+ years, USAA Visa charges a small amount for "Interest charge on cash advance". They will NEVER consider that $200 paid off and will continue to charge monthly fees until the overall balance is paid down to $0. Does anyone else notice these charges on their cards? This seems wrong. That small cash advance is NEVER considered paid off and we're charge for it forever or until we pay the balance down to $0. Check it out on you statements. Look down the statement for: Interest Charge on Cash Advances $0.39 (some small amount).

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

Spent 14 of 22 yrs active duty with USAA, separated from service for 2 yrs and lost my job for 6 months. I own a house and two cars, the vehicles and the insurance I use USAA. Never missed a payment on any of that, my credit card I let slide a month or three during my unemployment. The only company I have trusted for 14 yrs, cancelled my credit card. The only company I have credit & obligations to, cancel my credit card. Paid everything else, house, card, insurance, timely, but when things were tough I left the CC slide, my only trusted credit holder dumped me. Probably worse for Vets than the VA. Really wish no stars were an option, clearly no man left behind is a concept left to the military, not the companies like USAA that claim to support Soldiers and their families like I believed all these years. Run Vets, Run.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

Like many others, I have been a member of USAA for many years and have had a USAA credit card for about five years. I have not use the card in about three years. However I got a call the other day from USAA attempting to collect a past due balance of $35 which it turns out is the annual fee to have their credit card. Just a little disappointed in USAA that they claim to be all about helping service members yet charge them $35 for an annual fee on a credit card that they don't use and then don't tell them about it until they are calling to try and collect the debt.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

Don't go with the USAA Credit Card. If you pay $50-100 it posts right away - pay the balance and they'll "float" it for 7-10 days. Really screwed me, I paid off the card to use it for a trip - funds weren't there for 10 days. Had to use a different card for the business trip. VERY unprofessional. Capital One, US Bank, Chase... every other card I have ever owned has posted the payment immediately. Spent lots of time on the phone with them, there was nothing they were willing to do. Said if I used a USAA checking/savings account it would have been immediate - well great, with service like this let me just jump right in and have ALL my pay go to you. No. I don't trust them and have canceled the card.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2017

I have been a member of USAA for 15 years. Two years ago, the government agency I was was working for had three breaches of security in a short time frame. My social security number, date of birth, address, and military affiliation were accessed, as well as anyone listed in my background check. The Department of Defense notified me of this breach in June, but it occurred in February. I called USAA after checking my checking account, and credit card for any activity I did not initiate. The first phone call was just for information purposes, there was a negative balance in my checking account and my credit card was almost maxed, which was not accurate. The young man I spoke to informed me USAA was aware of the breach and had placed a hold on my account so no transfers occurred between USAA and my local credit union from the end of February to July when I called.

I asked why I was not notified then and was told he really did not know why I had not been notified. The young man was helpful as he could be, made notes and started an inquiry into my credit card balance. He then transferred me to banking so I could talk to someone about my negative account. I was transferred multiple times, to multiple people because no one could help me. What I have found out over many phone calls in the last two years is, they did put a hold on my account without telling me, this stopped funds transfers from my local bank to USAA which in turn caused any payment drafts I had scheduled to be rejected resulting in NSF fees. Well then I find out that the account I was making payments to had not received payment since Feb/March time from but continued to get payment by drafting the frozen account.

So now I have fees from USAA and the other company, not to mention my computer I believed to be paid for, had not been paid at all. No one contacted me from either company, I have had to contact them. Upon further investigation I discovered USAA had affected multiple accounts with account gold, putting my very nice credit score in the dumps. I have spent two years trying to get this mess fixed with them without resolution. They expect me to pay for all of it, and will not remove the charges they erroneously added to my account.

Now they call me all the time, and mail me threatening letters. I receive as many as 5 calls a day, and a couple of letters a month. Throughout this two year ordeal, I have spoken to a couple of honest people that tried to help, but the majority of my interactions were with rude, accusatory people that had no interest in the truth, they just wanted to know when I would pay up! When I first joined USAA I loved the company, over the last 3-5 years, they have really took a turn for the worst. I rarely hear anything good about them anymore. I will never do business with them again, nor will I recommend any of their products.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

I inquired about insurance with USAA May 2017, when I was referred by my father (retired military and USAA member for 30+ years). I was then offered what appeared to be a good credit card offer. I was in the market for a new credit card and the way I understood it was the CC was 0% APR on all purchases and transfers for 15 months. I even repeated it back to her and she confirmed it. I said I was interested in signing up. A couple months later I received a cc statement which included interest on it. When I called to inquire about what I thought was a mistake, I was informed that my offer was for only transfers and not purchases. I then explained that was not what the representative had told me at the beginning bc if she had, I wouldn't of signed up bc I could have gone with a different cc company and received 0% APR on purchases and transfers - But I had chosen USAA because I heard it was a good company to do business with.

I also had just received an email offer from USAA for the 0% APR on purchases AND transfers so I couldn't understand why they couldn't apply that to my current credit card? They told me no but I could open another credit card to get that offer with them. That was out of the question. I informed them I would be paying off my balance and closing my card and never using their services again, and I would be sure to let my family and friends know of my terrible experience with them. I have an excellent credit score, always pay my bills on time and typically pay off my large purchases within 6 months. I am an excellent customer to have, but I guess that's not what they are looking for bc then they don't make enough money off of me. I was always told how great USAA was but after my experience and hearing other people's awful experiences, I can honestly say that they are not... Very very disappointing.

Original review: July 27, 2017

I overlooked my last bill on the credit card which was $185.77. I then received a bill for that payment plus the current payment with an interest charge of $3.35. I have had this card for over 10 years and paid regularly. USAA refused to eliminate the interest fee. I have many credit cards and not once have they refused to eliminate the fee particularly when I have a long history with the company and regularly pay on time. I find this shameful on the part of USAA that they don't value their long time customers.

Original review: July 13, 2017

I transfer money from Huntington Bank to pay off one of my credit card, the money was received by USAA BUT CREDIT NOT APPLY TO MY ACCOUNT. I call and I was told it will take up to 7 days. Moving all my accounts to another bank. This use to be a great bank. NO LONGER. KEEP GOING DOWNHILL for the LAST 2 years. Stay away from USAA.

Original review: July 5, 2017

I am fighting a late payment ding on my credit of 60 days past due for charges USAA couldn't make clear to me what they were for. I haven't used the credit card for years. Apparently I am billed online in what looks like or goes to spam. I never got a paper bill. I only started receiving late notices in the mail when it was 60 days overdue. They never tried to call or reach me by my primary cell phone. I had 800 credit score and because of their ding over 5 dollars I went down to 650. What's worse is the charge was fraudulent. Ultimately I will get this straightened out but is months of hassle and waiting. USAA was not cooperative.

USAA Credit Card Company Information