1.27/5
Based on 93 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

USAA Credit Card

USAA sells auto and property insurance to members of the U.S. military and their families. USAA doesn't currently participate in the InsuraMatch program. If you're a member of the U.S. military in need of insurance, contact InsuraMatch today to see multiple offers that could work for you. *ConsumerAffairs insurance program, powered by InsuraMatch.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Last updated: April 20, 2018

121 USAA Credit Card Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: April 20, 2018

I have never dealt with a company that gets more things wrong and treats me as horribly than this company (and that's a lot of companies). I am a physician and know how to treat people well. They have stolen from me and NEVER FOLLOW THROUGH, so it's impossible to resolve anything. Stay far clear of this gang.

Original review: April 14, 2018

We recently changed to USAA car insurance. We opened an USAA credit card with them at the same time to receive a $10 discount. We had two cars and a month and a half into it, we sold the second car. I contacted them immediately to drop the second car, which they did. There was quite a bit of confusion with the monthly billing. I spend hours on the phone. I thought I had paid what I should have and it turns out that I was confused and did not pay what I was supposed to. It was a red flag in the beginning that they were charging 27.9% interest and we have good credit!

When I finally received a billing that I did not understand what I did wrong, the credit card company DENIED taking off the interest they were charging. GOOD companies will do a one time removal, since there were a misunderstanding or accidental mistake. THIS COMPANY, again, HAS NO CUSTOMER SERVICE. They just want to choke people to get the 27.9%. I hope this customer service is not an indication of what their car insurance is. I was told they would have a CEO contacted by email of my complaint, but was also told not to NOT count on any answer!!!

Get the news you need delivered right to you!

Join over 300,000 subscribers and receive the latest expert advice, consumer news, and recall notices in your inbox.

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: April 8, 2018

After noticing my check hadn't cleared I called seven days and explained checked was mailed March 20th. I called April 1st and paid with bank card. April 2nd they maliciously reduced my card limit from $3500 - $3000. I haven't NEVER been late and HAVEN'T used card in over (TWO YEARS). They treat good bill paying veterans like crap!

Original review: March 11, 2018

Two years ago, I received my USAA credit card, with a credit limit of 13k. I was so happy; I could now start fixing up my house and wouldn't need a loan. With that high a limit, I also figured my credit score (due to "credit utilization ratio") would increase. My first project, the kitchen, cost 11k. I paid back 1k a month until it was near paid off and then started another project. Back up to almost 11k, again I was paying 1k a month, until it was down to about 6k, I paid $700.00 per month (I got injured at work and was on workman's comp for 10 months). Never a late payment, always well above the minimum.

Suddenly, last August, I received a letter and they dropped my limit to $3,200. I called and eventually got one of their special people to call back. They had no reason. They simply just did it. I went over my credit scores which had risen over the last 1.5 years, my payments and frustrated with me, their representative used excuses like I ran it too high, then I didn't use it enough, finally, she simply said they have the right to do whatever they want. So now, my limit was $3,200.00 while I still owed 5k!!! While they didn't hit me with overdue fees, it affected my credit score ("credit utilization ratio"). While I have a couple of other credit cards in good standing, this over limit position dropped my score. I've called again to no avail. I'm now at about 1.5k or less. I'll be paying it off and closing my account with USAA.

Original review: March 3, 2018

Please people "DO NOT" get a credit card with this Bank! They charge 27.99 % every month, not annually. They are just as bad as a payday lender. Your payments continue to go up even if you don't use the card! They come on TV as if they are a savior of veterans when actually they are taking advantage of them. I will be turning them over to the state attorney general here in Ohio. This company is based outta Las Vegas, NV. Please don't get involved with these loan sharks and criminals. They should be charged under the RICO statute for running a criminal enterprise!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about USAA?

Original review: Feb. 24, 2018

I opened a secured credit card which I used once and haven't used in the past year. I was billed an annual fee and when I called to have that cancelled and the card closed, they refused to drop the $35 fee. So, considering it's a fee going forward and not a fee that covered you for the past year, this is wrong. Closed my account and CD with them and had them take the monies out of the CD. Time on hold and transfers to three people.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2018

When recently traveling, I used the credit card to purchase currency for the trip. They consider that a cash advance and charged a cash advance fee, then the bill comes and they have charged interest on the cash advance because I didn't pay it immediately. I paid the card off in full after complaining and hearing they can do nothing about the charge and guess what? I got another interest charge the next month, what for you might ask, because one, get it ONE, charge was made after the bill drop and for $20 at that, so that means they can carry over the cash advance and charge interest AGAIN.

Just for the record, the bill "dropped" on the 12th and I was informed of the bill on the 16th. What is so frustrating about all of this is they charge the interest on the FULL amount of the cash advance BOTH times even though I paid the card off to a ZERO (0) balance before the bill was due. Every time I have called USAA their lack of customer service has spent over an hour putting me on and off hold to investigate the issue just to tell me there's nothing they can do about it because it's an interest charge.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I'm attempting to pay my husband's credit card at USAA on the website. My husband had a stroke and is severely disabled. I paid his bill for the last 2 months online, but somehow this month I cannot get into his account, it is locked. I tried to reset the acct., it says it will text me the new reset on cell. WE do not have cell service where we live therefore cannot receive texts. They say I have to be power of Atty. and then I can pay his bill. I have to fax it to them.

What a joke, we have no fax, we are homebound and they do not want to take our money, but they would be very happy to charge us late fees. I have tried to speak with someone to no avail. Is this the way to treat someone who has bravely served this country so some people can use a cell phone and fax machine? What is the matter with these conglomerates? No compassion, no understanding. I would never recommend USAA to anyone for anything. Can't wait to be out from under their auspices.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2018

My card was hacked Dec 22 and I requested a new card. After 6 more calls asking to speak to a supervisor, which was no done, I still do NOT have a new card. This is the worst customer service I have ever encountered. Too bad I can’t rate them less than 1.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2018

They originally signed me up for 0% interest 15 months on balance transfers. Turns out I'm on the phone with them they can't find my information or my ORIGINAL SIGNUP! Don't waste your time. This credit card company doesn't hold up on their end!

Original review: Oct. 23, 2017

Over 6 years ago we did something that resulted in USAA Visa coverage a charge for $200. That was considered a cash advance. Other than that we NEVER use cash advances or transfer balance, etc., anything that would qualify as a cash advance. Ever since then, or the past 6+ years, USAA Visa charges a small amount for "Interest charge on cash advance". They will NEVER consider that $200 paid off and will continue to charge monthly fees until the overall balance is paid down to $0. Does anyone else notice these charges on their cards? This seems wrong. That small cash advance is NEVER considered paid off and we're charge for it forever or until we pay the balance down to $0. Check it out on you statements. Look down the statement for: Interest Charge on Cash Advances $0.39 (some small amount).

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

Spent 14 of 22 yrs active duty with USAA, separated from service for 2 yrs and lost my job for 6 months. I own a house and two cars, the vehicles and the insurance I use USAA. Never missed a payment on any of that, my credit card I let slide a month or three during my unemployment. The only company I have trusted for 14 yrs, cancelled my credit card. The only company I have credit & obligations to, cancel my credit card. Paid everything else, house, card, insurance, timely, but when things were tough I left the CC slide, my only trusted credit holder dumped me. Probably worse for Vets than the VA. Really wish no stars were an option, clearly no man left behind is a concept left to the military, not the companies like USAA that claim to support Soldiers and their families like I believed all these years. Run Vets, Run.

Original review: Sept. 20, 2017

Like many others, I have been a member of USAA for many years and have had a USAA credit card for about five years. I have not use the card in about three years. However I got a call the other day from USAA attempting to collect a past due balance of $35 which it turns out is the annual fee to have their credit card. Just a little disappointed in USAA that they claim to be all about helping service members yet charge them $35 for an annual fee on a credit card that they don't use and then don't tell them about it until they are calling to try and collect the debt.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

Don't go with the USAA Credit Card. If you pay $50-100 it posts right away - pay the balance and they'll "float" it for 7-10 days. Really screwed me, I paid off the card to use it for a trip - funds weren't there for 10 days. Had to use a different card for the business trip. VERY unprofessional. Capital One, US Bank, Chase... every other card I have ever owned has posted the payment immediately. Spent lots of time on the phone with them, there was nothing they were willing to do. Said if I used a USAA checking/savings account it would have been immediate - well great, with service like this let me just jump right in and have ALL my pay go to you. No. I don't trust them and have canceled the card.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2017

I have been a member of USAA for 15 years. Two years ago, the government agency I was was working for had three breaches of security in a short time frame. My social security number, date of birth, address, and military affiliation were accessed, as well as anyone listed in my background check. The Department of Defense notified me of this breach in June, but it occurred in February. I called USAA after checking my checking account, and credit card for any activity I did not initiate. The first phone call was just for information purposes, there was a negative balance in my checking account and my credit card was almost maxed, which was not accurate. The young man I spoke to informed me USAA was aware of the breach and had placed a hold on my account so no transfers occurred between USAA and my local credit union from the end of February to July when I called.

I asked why I was not notified then and was told he really did not know why I had not been notified. The young man was helpful as he could be, made notes and started an inquiry into my credit card balance. He then transferred me to banking so I could talk to someone about my negative account. I was transferred multiple times, to multiple people because no one could help me. What I have found out over many phone calls in the last two years is, they did put a hold on my account without telling me, this stopped funds transfers from my local bank to USAA which in turn caused any payment drafts I had scheduled to be rejected resulting in NSF fees. Well then I find out that the account I was making payments to had not received payment since Feb/March time from but continued to get payment by drafting the frozen account.

So now I have fees from USAA and the other company, not to mention my computer I believed to be paid for, had not been paid at all. No one contacted me from either company, I have had to contact them. Upon further investigation I discovered USAA had affected multiple accounts with account gold, putting my very nice credit score in the dumps. I have spent two years trying to get this mess fixed with them without resolution. They expect me to pay for all of it, and will not remove the charges they erroneously added to my account.

Now they call me all the time, and mail me threatening letters. I receive as many as 5 calls a day, and a couple of letters a month. Throughout this two year ordeal, I have spoken to a couple of honest people that tried to help, but the majority of my interactions were with rude, accusatory people that had no interest in the truth, they just wanted to know when I would pay up! When I first joined USAA I loved the company, over the last 3-5 years, they have really took a turn for the worst. I rarely hear anything good about them anymore. I will never do business with them again, nor will I recommend any of their products.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

I inquired about insurance with USAA May 2017, when I was referred by my father (retired military and USAA member for 30+ years). I was then offered what appeared to be a good credit card offer. I was in the market for a new credit card and the way I understood it was the CC was 0% APR on all purchases and transfers for 15 months. I even repeated it back to her and she confirmed it. I said I was interested in signing up. A couple months later I received a cc statement which included interest on it. When I called to inquire about what I thought was a mistake, I was informed that my offer was for only transfers and not purchases. I then explained that was not what the representative had told me at the beginning bc if she had, I wouldn't of signed up bc I could have gone with a different cc company and received 0% APR on purchases and transfers - But I had chosen USAA because I heard it was a good company to do business with.

I also had just received an email offer from USAA for the 0% APR on purchases AND transfers so I couldn't understand why they couldn't apply that to my current credit card? They told me no but I could open another credit card to get that offer with them. That was out of the question. I informed them I would be paying off my balance and closing my card and never using their services again, and I would be sure to let my family and friends know of my terrible experience with them. I have an excellent credit score, always pay my bills on time and typically pay off my large purchases within 6 months. I am an excellent customer to have, but I guess that's not what they are looking for bc then they don't make enough money off of me. I was always told how great USAA was but after my experience and hearing other people's awful experiences, I can honestly say that they are not... Very very disappointing.

Original review: July 27, 2017

I overlooked my last bill on the credit card which was $185.77. I then received a bill for that payment plus the current payment with an interest charge of $3.35. I have had this card for over 10 years and paid regularly. USAA refused to eliminate the interest fee. I have many credit cards and not once have they refused to eliminate the fee particularly when I have a long history with the company and regularly pay on time. I find this shameful on the part of USAA that they don't value their long time customers.

Original review: July 13, 2017

I transfer money from Huntington Bank to pay off one of my credit card, the money was received by USAA BUT CREDIT NOT APPLY TO MY ACCOUNT. I call and I was told it will take up to 7 days. Moving all my accounts to another bank. This use to be a great bank. NO LONGER. KEEP GOING DOWNHILL for the LAST 2 years. Stay away from USAA.

Original review: July 5, 2017

I am fighting a late payment ding on my credit of 60 days past due for charges USAA couldn't make clear to me what they were for. I haven't used the credit card for years. Apparently I am billed online in what looks like or goes to spam. I never got a paper bill. I only started receiving late notices in the mail when it was 60 days overdue. They never tried to call or reach me by my primary cell phone. I had 800 credit score and because of their ding over 5 dollars I went down to 650. What's worse is the charge was fraudulent. Ultimately I will get this straightened out but is months of hassle and waiting. USAA was not cooperative.

Original review: May 5, 2017

I got several fraud charges on my USAA CC six total within two days. We had to talk to USAA several times to make sure they were all noted and that they were going to take care of them. We thought all was good today. Two months later we get an email from USAA that the company was disputing the fraud and that USAA wants us to send a letter in to state we did not authorize the charge. If USAA feels we have no way to say we did or not we will be liable for the charge. I guess using a CC is not 100% safe from being taking by fraud. We will be canceling both our CC with USAA as soon and this is done and also removing our car insurance with them. They can't be trusted!!! I have had fraud on other brand CC's and no issues at all. USAA said they are people owned so they do things different. Well USAA bye bye... And become a real company that looks out for their customers!!!

Original review: April 29, 2017

I am having a problem with a USAA credit card and fraud. They told me the card was cancelled. It was not, and they are reporting derogatory information to the credit bureaus. They are a big company and I am one little person. It is hard to fight them. You will feel the same way. Bottom Line: If you have a problem with fraud, they will say you did it and will not help you. Then, they will harass and bully you for something you don't owe. (Remember: They are a giant, we are little powerless people.) Yes, and they will try to ruin your credit for $35 (when your daughter is slated to attend college in the fall), give you the runaround, and transfer you to various departments unwilling and seemingly incapable of helping you. Extremely horrible customer service overall.

(Wait... wait... a positive - my kids have little bank accounts with them and ATM cards. They love USAA. But they are kids, and most likely won't have a problem. (Well, my teenage daughter was charged ATM fees. She was upset, but I said to let it go). USAA will not do the same for you. When you have a problem, USAA sucks! I do not want to feel this way, but I have experienced it first hand.) I have never experienced such difficulty and runaround from a company. Honestly, they are actually the worst company of all time I have dealt with... honestly. I am truly flabbergasted at their appalling level of customer service. If you have any other options, do not choose USAA. Trust the reviews! Extremely Disheartened Customer:-(

Original review: April 20, 2017

I have had my card for two years. I have a checking and a savings account with USAA as well as my car insurance. They cut my credit limit in half with no prior notice after I paid my balance in full. The lady I talked to said they would have reduced it before but they can't lower less than what you owe. They have tried to tell me my credit is 100 points lower than it is. (I closed on my house less than a month ago and work at a dealership, I have access to my credit score at any time so I know better) They won't resolve their issues. They said that I was late on payments multiple times when they take it automatically from my USAA Checking account. The only negatives I even have on my credit profile come from them lowering my limit so now I am over 50% of my balance. I will never recommend them to anyone.

Original review: April 7, 2017

USAA has the worst customer service I ever experienced. In a effort to lower my balance on my credit card I stop using the card and start making lump sum payments. Well they lower my credit limit which in turn lowered my credit score. This was done without any notification or explanation. I called them to find out what was going on with the account and their reply was "we don't know ". Wow!

Original review: April 7, 2017

Five year member. Very dissatisfied with my experience with USAA Federal Savings Bank. Failed to act in a commercially reasonable manner. I have legal reason why I did not have to comply with the contract. I did what I was required under the contract except anything I was prevented or excused from doing, so I do not owe creditor. Prior breach- Improper Notice of Breach. The creditors' violations of State and Local Law. The creditor failed to comply with the terms of the contract by breaching the implied warranty of good faith and fair dealing by acting unreasonably, which denied me the benefits I had under the contract. USAA terms of the contract is grossly unfair.

Original review: March 10, 2017

I have been a long term member of USAA. I've done several mortgages and auto finances through USAA plus I use USAA for insurance. Despite decades of "membership" I've never really needed to interact with USAA, no claims, no issues. I recently decided to transfer a credit card from USAA to another institution (because the other institution offered a significantly better rate) and for the first time I had to actually interact with USAA. It was a nightmare. USAA repeatedly claimed they did not receive the transfer and despite providing proof funds were transferred USAA denied receiving the funds. Even after providing USAA proof of transfer they refused to properly apply the funds.

As nightmarish as this was it wasn't the worst. After dozens of calls I finally reached someone in their "Executive Resolutions" team that openly admitted USAA intentionally charges members higher rates and offers lower limits than any other institution unless/until they complain and complain enough to reach a senior management person. Based on this I'd recommend anyone with a USAA account immediately review anything they are doing with USAA. They appear solid until you learn their goal is to harm you as much as possible until you notice. This is a bad company and one you truly cannot rely on to be your financial partner.

Original review: March 7, 2017

In August 2016 I opened a line of Credit with this union. Needless to say I do not use the card and accidentally charged 10.74 to the card. I received no phone call or literature in the mail. I was told by my lender I had an outstanding balance of 10.74. I called today, paid it in full and since this was a pure misunderstanding I was hoping to have the card reinstated. They were not helpful, I was on the phone for nearly 3 hours. I have never been treated so poorly but a company. I am in the middle of home buying and because of this small amount my credit is not that great. I would never jeopardize my credit over 10 bucks. I feel slighted; my father is a former Marine and I have been with them for a long time prior to this account. They are awful, Capital One is kinder!!!! I feel defeated. That was an emergency line of credit.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2017

Veterans should watch out for scams involving companies that have traditionally done well by veterans. USAA is one of them. Recently I made a larger payment on to my USAA credit card using their electronic transfer feature on the website. The payment was my travel money for a trip I needed to make for school. I made this transfer thinking my funds would be available for my trip (Usually, with Capital One, or Wells Fargo, the funds were available immediately after making the electronic transfer from their website).

Much to my horror, I found out two days later that USAA put an 8 day "float" on my payment! When I called them, the answer I got was they always reserve the right to "float" funds before applying them to an account. Well, that so called "float" is nothing but USAA using my money, as well as many others (I've learned since) to rack up interest for their own pockets! When I told my credit union what USAA was doing they were shocked. This is such a money-grubbing scam, veterans should reject this kind of treatment entirely. USAA is banking on us just putting up and shutting up. I think we've served enough - they don't get to now steal our interest as well!

Original review: Dec. 1, 2016

I have a USAA credit card for two years. For the last year I have been paying it through my bank account electronic. I had it set up for my bill for Nov 4, 2016 to be paid that day. I check and it went through. I had the check number and confirmation number saying they receive it. Much to my surprise I call them before Thanksgiving to let them know my wife was going to be out of state for a few days. The lady that work there told me I was overdue and never receive the check. I went to my computer and printed out the information. She more or less did not believe me.

I ask for a manager and I was on a three-way call with my bank and web hosting and USSA. My bank said they sent it. Web hosting said they did also. I was one time told they had it but rejected it because it had ** on it. I call back web hosting and they said they accepted 11 other checks from them just like it. Then I was told it was lost and did I was told they found it and would show up showing pay on my credit card. That was a lie also. By the way the check was for $5,385.78.

Here it is Dec 2016 and they told me it will be another few days. I can't believe the company will not do the right thing and show my payment going through and let me get on with my life. I am a 100% disable veteran and for them to treat a veteran like this is wrong. I am urging all veterans to stop doing business with USSA. I know when I get this straighten out I am. They had the gall to send me the Dec statement with a late fee of $25.00 and interest of $81.00. Also on the back they threaten to ruin my credit. This had been hell on me.

Original review: Nov. 17, 2016

USAA is definitely not out to help our active duty! It's hard enough trying to live a stable life on active duty. We opened 2 credit cards about 5 years ago with USAA. We had a revolving balance on both cards for a few years and then decided to buy a house. I paid HUGE chunks off on my credit cards in October to bring my debt to limit down. In November I got a credit monitoring notice that USAA took our $10k limit down to $2700. Mind you we are mid underwriting on a house, our balance was $2500 on that card. This means the credit score increase I got for paying down my card just went right back up and some because it now looks as if my card was maxed out.

I call to find out why, they said "because your credit score is too low." I knew it wasn't, I watch my score everyday. I argue with them until I found out they based the decrease from a credit pull 2 months ago without notifying us. Then they waited till I paid my card down months later to actually decrease the limit and NO notice whatsoever. I explained that the credit pull was not a current reflection of our credit because we had some disputes on our credit we had been fighting. They pretty much said 'oh well'. We pay our monthly payment on time every time, it just goes to show how little they actually care about their client-bank relationship. What's the point of building a 2-decade old relationship with a bank and a good payment history with them for them to just sneak behind you and remove the credit line they gave you without notice? Now we could potentially lose our home we are in the process of purchasing because of this.

Funny a random home mortgage lender will trust us with a $300,000 home loan with no relationship, but our own bank who we have been with and good history and trust all our insurances won't even trust us with a $10k card? Oh and don't forget we also had the reserves in our account to pay all our credit cards off if necessary. They refused to re-evaluate our credit as of today after I even explained they were basing the decision on a credit report 2 months old and that our credit score was significantly higher. I will be switching all our banking, credit card services, and insurances to a local bank who we can build a real relationship with.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2016

I've been a USAA member for over 25 years. USAA changed from MC to Visa, I had to notify all my Auto pay accounts of the change. USAA says they sent out info of an absolute date that the MC would no longer be active. I do all of my banking online and by email, never saw a letter or an email of this date). I received an email Aug 17th around the same time I received the credit card telling me to activate the new card, no date that the MC would be completely deactivated on Sept 13th. After being told that my homeowners insurance on my rental property that was on Auto pay did not post with my USAA credit card on Oct 3rd, they said they would cancel my policy. I contacted USAA and asked where this notification was that the card would be deactivated and they said they emailed and mailed on July 30th (funny I had every other email and not that). I asked why I couldn't find this document online, this document was nowhere online.

The letter was not in any of my documents and the rep had to upload it as we spoke, to show me PROOF that they mailed it. This is a company that is supposed to be military friendly but the documents that were extremely important was not online. Military personnel don't alway get regular mail and should be able to find all of their banking documents and correspondence that they have sent online. Customer service is just isn't good. Communication is terrible even when you set up paperless, email and text. USAA was always extremely convenient when moving around with the military but now I just don't see the benefit when you can't look up communications and letters they send you online, more important, something that you don't even know they sent. You call and they upload it and say "see we sent it" and can't give you a reason why it wasn't available in your Documents. USAA has become just another bank!

USAA Credit Card Company Information