Amex Merchant Services

American Express Merchant Services

4.1/5 (103 ratings)
Find a Business Services partner

Need business insurance? We got you.

See quotes from top insurers on Simply Business

Get my quote

About American Express Merchant Services

Need business insurance? We got you.

See quotes from top insurers on Simply Business

Get my quote

Amex Merchant Services Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Amex Merchant Services?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Express?

Original review: April 15, 2022

Recently Amex is expanding into so many markets and it's losing the connection to the customer. :( I been for very long time with Amex and usually support and products are 5 Stars. Recently Amex bought or partnering with Kabbage Business Checking which is not bad but lot of bugs in their system and app. Few months later now they offer competing product Amex Business Checking which is a nightmare. Support is very unhelpful once you have problems with your application they are very unhelpful to resolve it and getting easy annoyed if you try to get an explanation.

I can only assume they are so secretive because I am already a Kabbage customer so they don't want competing customers between their own products. :( Seems like Amex is bit lost, offering all similar product, I remember few years ago they had their business loans under Amex Brand now, Kabbage, then again Amex Business Checking. Just confusing and upsetting their long term customers! Found my happiness with Discover checking, all USA based support and no games played there!

Original review: March 16, 2022

I purchased a gift card and found out that someone scammed me and I immediately called Amex but it took so long to get to customer service to answer that they had already zeroed out my balance. When I started my call I still had a full balance but by the time customer service finally got on the phone It was gone. I was on hold for so long that that they had gotten all my money then stated there was nothing they could do. Thanks a lot Amex.

Get buying tips about Business to Business Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2022

Quick service and safe delivery. I was extremely happy with the service. The product was exactly as I purchased. I would recommend this company and its products. Shipping and delivery was great!!!

Original review: March 16, 2021

I had the misfortune of dealing with AMEX Gift Card Customer Support over a gift card that was never received by my daughter. I was told there was no purchases made and issued a case number for $250 reissued card. I waited 30 days, nothing... I call again it was like Groundhog Day. I finally got the approval of the reinsurance and waited 10 days for the replacement. Since it was a gift for my daughter at a University in Tampa FL, I told her I was mailing it right then. When she called me, she told me there was only $2.50 on it.. I was incensed. I called The useless Amex Gift Card Customer Support and was told they were sorry but they could not do anything to rectify this.

Bottom line I ran around for 4 months during the Pandemic for $2.50. It cost more to mail it than it was worth. I will never use them again and I urge anyone reading to do the same the support team isn't even in our country. Rude and out of touch, when asked to speak to a manager it was like the Chapelle Show... I am the manager. JOKE!!!! Criminals.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

Trap, Trap, Trap. BE aware and simply just avoid them. Trust me and save your time. DO NOT share any confidential business papers (Tax Return, Bank statement, Customer Transaction) with them. AT THE END GET DENY FOR NOTHING. Just waste your time.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2018

I am a business owner. I will NEVER accept payment from AE ever again! Payment can be taken back at any time for any reason with no questions asked! This is robbery as far as I am concerned. This should not be allowed to happen. It is criminal! AE should not even be in business. This should be illegal!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2018

We are a small animal clinic and we provided medical services to a lady with 3 puppies near death. We were able to save 2. She paid with cash, Visa and Amex. Now she has disputed the Amex charge ($2,500) for services not rendered. She has already sold the 2 puppies to someone else, who now comes to our clinic. How exactly did we not provide services. So Amex said the signed charge slip and backup receipts and forms do not show that she got her services. Maybe if I had a picture of her in the facility?! I am so angry. The lady committed fraud and she made a profit on it by selling the puppies. But Amex denied us because they said we did not have enough proof. We will not be accepting Amex again.

Original review: Oct. 4, 2017

As a travel accommodation, we are no longer accepting AMEX. It is too easy for the cardholder to cancel a reservation and no show than dispute the charges with no questions asked. As a small establishment also paying higher fees for cardholder benefits and 25.00 fee for a dispute that is not valid, this is sub par. Goodbye AMEX!

Original review: July 21, 2017

Let me first start by saying that I am a CEO of a company that has been using American Express corporate cards for over 4 years and we process around 200K per month. This department is great. We also have an American Express Merchant account and this service is sub standard and the worst I have seen in the industry. American Express Merchant services thought it would be OK to hold funds from us for a customer payment. They claimed they perform audits and that it's the merchant account holder's responsibility to verify authorized use of the card. I asked why they call the card holder to verify, which they claim they did but no response. Of course we also called because it's our distribution company to find out they never received a call.

Now after providing Purchase Orders signed and a billing statement, they claim they need proof of delivery. Really, why would you need that if the customer already signed the purchase order and the bill for payment? American Express Merchant services department is terrible. We have 4 other merchant accounts with other providers and never experience this level of ridiculous process. Also they claim it's a requirement by the other carriers which is not true.

Original review: May 12, 2017

Got mail from Amex Merchant Capital. A trusted company right? DEAD Wrong!! My experience with this dumb company is that, they stating that NO WASTED TIME HERE!! That convinced me to give it a shot. Ok went online and I applied. Wow got approved right away with a reasonable rate. WOW. That's when the nightmare starts. I was thinking ok I got approved and I should see the funding right? Dead wrong again!! "The customer service will call you next day discuss." Ok I wait, and no phone call.

They did do a hard pulled on my credit though. So I decided to call and ask them what's going on. There was a customer service lady answer the phone and, "I am sorry. I am just customer service. I don't know nothing. May I direct your call?" So I said, "Yeah, I wanted to know what happened to approved account?" Then she said with a frustrated voice, and asked me, "What's your tax ID number?" and directed me to some lazy, "don't want to help you" types of lady name Laura (I think that's her name). "I don't know what's going on. When I get a answer I will call you." Never hear ever since going. Day 10 here now.. Still waiting. DON'T WASTE TIME WITH THIS COMPANY. THEY ARE ALL "SCARECROW."

Amex Merchant Services Company Information