Miami, FL

1.4/5 (69 ratings)

About Straight Talk Wireless

Straight Talk is a no-contract phone plan that shares networks with four major cellphone service providers. It doesn’t restrict people to long-term contracts, and it offers nationwide coverage and more data plans with flexible payment options.

Pros

• Affordable options
  • Add-on features available
  • No contracts

Cons

• Data can be slow
  • No family plans

Bottom Line

Straight Talk offers basic cellphone coverage and the option to purchase discounted phones or keep your current phone. There are no contracts and no hidden fees.

Straight Talk Wireless Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Straight Talk Wireless?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Straight Talk Wireless?

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

Firstly I tried to set up my new BYOP phone at the Straight Talk website through my existing account as a phone transfer. I had a phone with them for years and tried to transfer it to my new phone using the SIM card I bought from them and my new Verizon MEID. The website gave me errors saying to call them. The first ST employee told me that MEID on that phone didn't exist. I had to call them again then I found an employee that would manually type in my MEID to find it (important step if they can't find your MEID). The Straight Talk employee set up my phone and it was working. I had texting, phone and Internet. I woke up the next day and my phone service stopped working.

I called back and was told I had called to "cut off my service". I was told they gave away my phone number, put it on the $55 plan and cut off my auto refill which I had for years. You have no idea how upset I was!!! I stayed calm and I sat on the phone for at least 30 minutes while he tried to set my phone back up with my number. He finally got it working and I was told they restarted my service and my auto refill would begin again next month from the day I called. They said they would not recharge me but I haven't checked yet. I do not trust anything they say now. BYOP at your own risk because their employees might cut off your phone instead.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I just purchased a Galaxy 8S Plus and my old phone was an iPhone 5S. My problem is that all my text messages from people who have iPhones are going to my old iPhone and not my new phone. I first was told just to turn off the iPhone for 24 hours which I did. Then I was told 2 days later to turn off my Galaxy and turn it back on and send a text to my self and that will clear the problem. After the rep told me the reason why is because the old phone was still connected to wifi. My problem is still not fixed after spending hours on the phone the since Monday.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

So I was with Straight from November to December because I lived in Oregon and moved to Alaska. When I moved to Alaska the service worked intermittently. I would be on a call then drop it and then calls would not drop in the same area. So I researched the different service providers in Alaska and found the best one is GCI (still some areas have no reception but no dropped calls). When I switched I had the service for about 40 days and thought well I have a phone that is paid for so I will pay to get it unlocked. I paid 70 dollars just to get it unlocked and found that the company marked as blocked, reported stolen, or lost.

When I called the company all the agent could say is that I need to pay for service for one year before they remove it. So you pay for a phone completely which is costly 150 was what I paid for the iPhone which is now lower. Then you pay for service just to be put into a contract? When the service is no contract, then it should mean the phone is also no contract. I have a spouse who is visually impaired which is why I bought some iPhones. Normally I would not worry about it but I don't have the money to keep paying for iPhone after iPhone especially when I paid these two off outright. I will not refer anyone to go with Straight Talk because of this experience. I am now needing to get another iPhone because of the nature of this situation and they are unwilling to assist me (it is my problem to deal with). Don't purchase your phone through Straight Talk. You will be wasting your money.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

With Straight Talk, I was forced to understand why AT&T, Verizon, Sprint etc charge the way they do for their services. Not only are you paying for the products, but you’re paying for a quality level of customer service. I by far have experienced the worst with Straight Talk. One day I had an issue, requested to speak with a supervisor and the representative attempted to change his voice, and state he was a supervisor. These representatives will disconnect the call if you as the customer present any form of an issue or express any form of concern. I brought my own phone number to this company, and since then, I receive harassing calls and texts from scammers daily! This company proves you literally get what you pay for! I’d rather have a $100 phone bill rather than continue with Straight Talk. Their service is literally disgusting and disturbing.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I recently have been trying to give my son my Samsung Galaxy S7 that was used with AT&T for his Straight Talk account. The first call with customer service was ok; I was told that I needed to purchase a SIM card for the phone. So, we go to Walmart, but they only have the sets for new customers which include the first month fee. I don't want this seeing how we aren't new customers and I have it set up for auto withdrawal for the monthly payments. So, I call from Walmart and see how I can get just the SIM card. The girl this time (and they are all foreign! lot of trouble with language barrier) tells me the Samsung isn't eligible for Straight Talk. I have to tell her the last person told me that it was and just needed SIM card, so after an hour long conversation in Walmart on my cell, she finally figured out how to order the SIM card for me and mail it.

So about 1 1/2 week later the card comes in and we call to see how to set it up, and again I am told by the foreign customer service rep that my phone is ineligible to be used on Straight Talk. After arguing with her, she finally figures out that she is wrong. So, we start with the SIM card they sent me and guess what! They sent me the wrong SIM card! So, they want to send me another and make me pay AGAIN! I am livid by now, so ask for a manager. This person finally knows something; and is able to connect this card for me. This whole transaction takes 1-2 hours. The phone appears to be working, but then suddenly it reverts back to the old phone and the old SIM about an hour later.

I call, and they say they cannot fix it because the SIM card we just installed on the new phone is now "expired". So, we are awaiting SIM card #2 to come in the mail now. We will see how it goes when it comes in. If there are any more problems, I am going to go to another carrier that can switch my Samsung Galaxy S7 to their service without a problem. I would not recommend Straight Talk because of the horrid customer service.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

I pay unlimited for 4 years, I have every receipt. I can never access internet, never use all minutes and never text. Will not carry over minutes for calls and text unused, 47.81 a month. I don't take pictures, can't send them. But phones are needed. It's a flip phone. Never video.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

Called in to discuss the issue my # was having (my phone would not accept any communications from anyone outside of Verizon's network) and had both the initial tech and her manager fully explain my situation several times only to hear "the only information we can provide is a ticket number and porting request number". When asked to provide any written documentation about the port they ended my call abruptly (yeah--they literally hung up). They refused to speak with my other service provider, send any documentation, or come up with any resolution what-so-ever. There is also no other contact info besides live chat for support. So it looks like they get to be terrible at customer service without consequence as there are no other methods of contact for CS issues. Fortunately, they are no longer my problem.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

Straight Talk sucks. I switched to Verizon after being in order to get my brand new phone that I bought. It was only month old. First thing that kept happening is my service would just go. They would say, "Oh you need a new sim," and send me one within a day. It would work again then it just stopped working at only a month old. Tried to get a replacement. The guy said, "No you don't have to send the defective one back," so I sold as a part phone come to find out I did have to send it back first. They suck. Verizon prepaid is 100 time better.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I hope someone at Consumer Affairs will contact me with urgent help. I am from South Africa. I arrived in Orlando USA on Friday 7 Dec 2018. As I will be traveling through various areas, I went to Walmart and purchased a Straight Talk Wireless Kit for 45USD. This is a costly purchase for me. I mainly require mobile data for my travels. I activated this service on my mobile phone on Saturday morning. The pack contains 3 SIM cards. I first used the AT&T sim card. This gave me instant data, text and calls service. I could not activate the HotSpot so I called the Straight Talk Customer Support. The agent told me that the AT&T card is not compatible with my iPhone from South Africa so he deactivated that sim and activated the Verizon sim. Once disconnected, and after switching the phone on, I had no data access.

I then called the company several times (6 to 7 times) from about 10 am until about 2 pm on Saturday, speaking to various agents, who were troubleshooting the problem, then transferring me to higher departments and corporate office and every time they troubleshoot, we have to end the call, reboot the phone, then call them back, speak to a new agent and start all over. I am now also told that I cannot reactivate the AT&T sim as once deactivated, it cannot be activated again. I cannot get a refund even though this was not my fault that the product does not work for me. I spent over 4 hours chatting to various agents whilst I am suppose to be enjoying my vacation here. Different agents give me different information. It’s now Mon 10 Dec. I am out of pocket with 45USD and no access to data. I have now been reading up on this company and find only bad reviews.

I always thought of the USA to stand high for customer protection. Why is this company allowed to operate with such products and no recourse for customers and why does Walmart support such companies? I cannot spend further time on this, so I will have to spend more money later and go to AT&T directly. All I want is my 45USD back or for them to offer me a quick solution to resolve my problem. They are not offering me any such solution and merely transferring me to higher departments for more and more troubleshooting with no solutions.

The refund dept did offer me a new AT&T card to be mailed to my resort but only in 5 working days, which does not assist me as I urgently require data and cannot wait. When I called on Sunday to take up the offer of another AT&T card, they are now asking me to purchase a new card. Please can someone out there help me urgently.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I bought this phone in Nov-17 and has been using it with Straight Talk plan since then. After 1 year this Dec-18 when I called helpdesk for phone unlock code which as per Straight Talk policy "eligible to unlock phone after 12 month of consecutive service" reply was phone never got used with Straight Talk and this is a new phone. I explained them that I have been using it with Straight Talk and paying for services since past more than 12 months but no one cares to help me. Call transferred 3 time without any resolution and customer care was too RUDE. This is the worst customer care I ever landed up with.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I truly hope this review will save at least one person from the hardships I encountered by using Straight Talk Wireless. Straight Talk Wireless may be "cheap" but you get what you pay for. Cell Service drops quite often, once you use about 2 GB of your data it slows down to extremely slow. You are unable to stream music, videos, let alone send text messages in a timely manner. Unbeknownst to me, once you purchase a phone through Straight Talk, that phone is locked into ONLY Straight Talk service for a whole year. Regardless of your happiness with your current plan or your desires to change services. I purchased a $500 iPhone through Straight Talk and not once did the sales representative inform me of this absolutely obscene "rule."

My due date to renew service changed every month. It started out on the 13th of every month. Two months go by and it changed to the 12th. Another month goes by it changes to the 11th. And so on until this month it was due the 9th. When I inquired about the change and that it did not include a full 30 days of service, I was told to "look at a calendar and count the days," that I was receiving 30 days of service. Which I was not. One month was only 27 days of service. Another only 29 days. I inquired 3 times about this issue and again was told it was because "some months have 30 days and others have 31," as I am just a complete idiot. They slowly rip you off of days of service.

Getting ahold of a human representative is literally impossible. You must go on their website to "chat" with a deplorable human who clearly dislikes their job. They were rude and unhelpful every time I reached out about my service. After 11 months of service through Straight Talk I decided to switch back to Verizon. After starting the Port process and putting in the Verizon SIM card, I realized a problem afoot. I had to take my BRAND NEW phone into Verizon for them to tell me it was "locked to Straight Talk only" and there was nothing anyone could do about it because that is Straight Talk's "rule." I was forced to buy an entire new phone, case, and screen protector, otherwise I would be phone-less until who knows when. So, now I am stuck with a brand new, unusable phone and out over $900 because Straight Talk is Straight **. PLEASE DO NOT USE STRAIGHT TALK.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2018

On the 23rd of November I called Straight Talk to refill my husband's service. I had a Visa gift card I wanted to get rid of so I figured I could use that to pay the $55 to refill his phone. Well It didn't work so I asked to talk to someone and they explain I can't use a gift card. No problem that's fine. I get my debit card and pay for his plan and think nothing of it.

Here we are 2 weeks later I remember I have that gift card. I go to use it to buy something online. It says, "Decline". So I look up the balance and it shows that Straight Talk took $56.52 off but I already paid for this with my debit card because I was told gift cards wouldn't work so I figured my husband's phone would have a reserve card since I paid for 2. Nope no reserve. I call Straight Talk. They transfer me 2 times each time explaining what happened again... The guy tells me he WON'T give me a refund but he will give me a reserve refill. Ok cool. Well no he didn't do anything. I call back and get transferred twice again every time having to explain myself.

The last guy I talked to asked me my phone number and what he could help me with. I tell him and hear nothing. Just silence. So I say hello, he takes me off mute, and says, "Yes searching." Something puts me on mute again for 15 minutes and never comes back. I get sent to some recording that says I need to give them a sworn affidavit saying that I am not lying and a bunch of other garbage. I will NEVER use Straight Talk again. They are a horrible company.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2018

Previous Verizon customer Galaxy S6 locked to Verizon. Changed the SIM to what Straight Talk provided. Phone immediately started having problems. Random restarts at least twice a day. Refuses to accept incoming messages, but gives no indication of such. Leading to continuously pissed off co-workers and friends, when they sent messages I never receive. Continuously dropped calls in the exact same location that I've NEVER dropped calls on with Verizon. Slow as ** data it's completely unusable. And I'm convinced and suspect the SIM card has somehow broken my phone with the random resets, extreme battery drain, and broken apps. Straight Talk isn't worth $5 a month...let alone $55.

Original review: Dec. 4, 2018

Switched in April 2018. First sim card lost in shipping. I received a smashed and torn box with no sim card. Was treated as if I was trying to get an extra sim card. Finally got card in May. First month ok. Second month started to receive notifications that my service had expired, then would shut off data. Phone would work briefly if rebooted, but within three minutes I would receive notification that my service had expired. Made dozens of calls to customer DIS-service and was hung up on, transferred until call dropped, or tried to explain my problem to someone who barely understood the English language.

My phone has been useless at least 75% of the time I have had this "service". DO NOT switch to Straight Talk or any other service offered by Walmart, as they are all owned and operated by the same useless company. Spend the extra money for Verizon or another major phone carrier. Straight Talk Wireless is the absolute worst company I have ever dealt with. They even tried to tell me that the notification was originating on my phone!

Original review: Dec. 2, 2018

Bought an iPhone 6 at Walmart because a friend of mine just bought one as well. She was able to install her SIM card from Verizon and the phone worked just fine. When I installed my SIM card from T-Mobile, the message stated I needed to have my phone unlocked. When I called customer service she took my IMEI and transferred me to tech support to have my phone unlocked. While waiting for a callback, I loaded all of my information into the phone. When someone finally called me back, they immediately told me that my phone is not eligible to be unlocked. I'm thinking that this company is allowing some service provider's access - such as Verizon, but clearly not T-Mobile. I feel discriminated against. Also, their customer service reps should have known better and told me up front without wasting my time. Spoke with supervisor Jose who was not helpful and said "I just work here." Not nice.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

This is the most horrific excuse for a customer service-based industry I have ever in my 50 plus years run across. Their service agents are rude. They don't know how to help you. They don't listen to the problem. They have screwed me out of three weeks worth of wireless service that I have already paid for and have been paying for 4 years now. I still don't have a phone because they keep sending the wrong SIM card. They changed my number when I didn't want to. I hate hate hate this company.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2018

I have been with Straight Talk for quite some time now since 2013. As of now my relationship with ST has been tolerable, honestly, they offer cheap service and you get what you pay for. I brought in my own phone and phone number to save money. I did ($570 as of Nov 2018), but if it wasn't for my company giving me a phone I probably would have left a long time ago.

Don't expect good customer service, because they will send you from one department to another and give you the run around if you ask to speak to management. They will make sure to double charge you in a billing cycle and end up having to pay 13 billing statements in a year instead of 12 the way good business should be. They will not offer you refunds, so good luck with that. Their phone reps all sound the same and are extremely rude. Be prepared to be hung up on, ignored, and also put on hold for a very long time (1h:15m:31s) was the amount of time spent for a requested refund and they just hung up on me).

Phone service is very low, below standard..calls drop off and I can't get service in about 80% of the places that I go. Now that I'm doing a little better financially, I'm cutting ties with them in January of 2019. In my opinion, do what you can within your means, but just keep in mind that this should be a stepping stone for a wireless provider. Eventually, you should graduate to something better.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2018

I rarely go over 2gb of data so I've always paid $35 a month. I've recently been using IHeartRadio at work for about 4 hours a day, 5 days a week, so I upgraded to $45 a month for the extra data. Two weeks into my service the data is COMPLETELY shut off, no apps work, only calls and text. The only thing I could find is Straight Talk does this on purpose with their clogged 4g LTE network.

The only way it worked for me is to switch my network mode back to CDMA which is 3g SPEEDS! Apps suddenly started working again, but at a slower pace of course, and as soon as I switched back to LTE everything stopped working again. 12 hours later my temporary ban from LTE has been lifted by Straight Talk's automated system. WARNING don't use your phone's data at a limit greater than what they allow or they will shut you off like they own you. Long-time coming, switch out of this company because they are no longer a good deal like they were 8 years ago, just a regular scamming company, based overseas so they can ** you.

Original review: Nov. 29, 2018

I signed up for auto pay, and my plan renewed. This was not a problem, however, the problem is that my previous iPhone broke and was unresponsive. To my dismay I called support in an effort to be refunded for my plan ($60) which I was told they do not handle refunds when auto pay is involved or refunds period. This was only two days after my plan renewed. Thanks to Verizon I was able to get a new phone, plan, and better service beforehand but I’m still out of $60. Had I known that this company doesn’t do refunds, I would not have joined.

They offered to cancel my service and sell me another phone as if I wanted to stay with them. Why are you able and willing to cancel my service but not refund my money on to my debit card? It’s a scam, they only wanted me to buy a new plan altogether or a new phone. T-Mobile, Verizon, and Sprint are higher but better. Service goes in and out, as well as the “4G” data. It’s cheap but you get what you pay for!

Original review: Nov. 28, 2018

Called the 800 number to re up my minutes and look at my bank account the next day and they have double billed me for no apparent reason. I only asked for the simple $50 per month package. I waited a few days for this to clear hoping they would see the mistake and refund my additional $50 they took but no. They took a double charge for one month of service! Be careful using your bank card with this company!

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

I've had Straight Talk service for near five years. I've had few complaints. Today a friend talked me into switching service over to Cricket. Unfortunately, Straight Talk refused to release the phone's capability. They claim that it appears to either be returned or stolen. So I can't take it out of their system. This seems so ridiculously selfish because I know they can see my service history, and they know I've had it for something like a year. The notions that they're stolen or returned are idiotic, and it appears to me to be very selfish behavior. Really? Straight Talk? I'm furious about this.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

I have been a Straight Talk customer for nearly two years and I am extremely dissatisfied with the service they provide. I pay $45 per month for unlimited data, texts and phone calls; yet after about 2-3 weeks the data on my phone is extremely slow, if it works at all. In early November of 2018, I decided to switch carriers and requested that my phone to be unlocked. Customer service said it would take 2 days and that once it was unlocked I would receive an email verifying it was unlocked. I never received an email from Straight Talk. Two weeks later I called them and they said it had been unlocked; still no confirmation email received.

I proceed to go get service from another provider and the agent there said I couldn't get their cell phone service because my phone was still locked with Straight Talk. I have been sitting on hold for over an hour with Straight Talk trying to get my phone unlocked again. This has been nothing but a huge consumption of my time and limited patience. The problem is still not resolved and I do not recommend this company to anyone.

Original review: Nov. 24, 2018

Kept enrolling me in auto refill after numerous attempts to cancel online. Called customer service. Was told to take it up with my bank. Service end date 11/27 charged on 11/23 on a card I deleted from account or so I thought.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I purchased a sim card and it says on the package bring your own tablet and I called to activate and they told me that is a phone sim card and I have to buy a new sim card because they made a mistake.

Original review: Nov. 19, 2018

I purchased a $45 Straight Talk card at Walmart for my mobile hotspot. Nowhere on it does it say for Cell Phone or for Mobile Hotspot. It’s says talk, text, data. Data was what I was looking for so I bought it. Scratched it and put in my hotspot cell # and the PIN. It said invalid entry over and over. I’ve chatted, called and chatted again. They will do nothing to help me! What TERRIBLE POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE! Come to find out this is only for cell phone and I’m supposed to know? It says DATA! The card should specify what it’s for. This is totally BS. NO HELP. NO MERCY! I can’t even send it into them for them to see it’s not been used! Ughhh! Riles me terribly!

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

The customer service and the readiness to help the customer is horrible. I wouldn't suggest anyone waste their time or money with this company. I will be canceling my service soon. They say that you're getting a discount but they tax you so much you don't see that discount.

Original review: Nov. 13, 2018

Check the number that your voicemail goes to. I have reported this to Straight Talk several times and then one day I ended up calling 6 times to report that my voicemail does not go to my phone number and I only found this by chance. They were unable unwilling to help me. I've tried to delete this 248 number several times and it still comes up. I have no idea who it's going to or why but it goes to somebody in Saudi Arabia. I've been able to trace it to the fact that it is foreign. No one has done anything called me back to see if it is solved. It is not solved.

Every time I want to go to my voicemail I have to key in the number. I can't hit the number one to get to it or it goes to this phone number. I've asked for help. I've asked them to do something about this. Change my voicemail number and let me know what it is but oh no not one single person has called me back about this. It would appear to me that this would be illegal. Now the question is what number is your voicemail going to. It should go to your phone number. It should not go to a foreign number in Saudi Arabia.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

CONTACT ME IF YOU HAVE BEEN PAYING OVER THE PHONE, WHERE YOU NO LONGER GET THE OPTION TO NOT SAVE YOUR CARD. It violates banking laws every time you pay. One felony every purchase. I want a group lawsuit to hold a company accountable that depends on USA but refuses to follow the laws and uses India so they do not worry about jurisdiction. You sell in the USA, your our jurisdiction. What if we all worked together. Anyone want easy money? You deserve it since your rights are being violated by India and their USA masters that are not untouchables. Let's show them!

Beau ** from Hickory, NC is me. I own ** and have a law firm with my name on it and 40 attorneys. My dad was federal judge. I'm ready, but it's gonna take a village. They lost their data lawsuit, where your plan recently got more data unannounced. They are not accredited by anybody. They save your banking info automatically. That is illegal without permission or contract.

I called 12 times to say, "Do not save my info. It's a violation of US laws." They admitted it was a crime and claimed I consented. They told me 3 times today they erased my card and hung up in me. Still not erased. Was told 4 years ago after being identity thieved to erase and never save personal info. The automated doesn't give the option not to. That is very illegal. They told me 4 years ago it was erased and every month I repeat. Russians have my info again.

My cards from 5 years ago were saved along with my current. I told them the situation. They erased it and hung up after asking what info they collect on me. Called back. Cards still saved. Demanded it be erased. Called back. Cards still on file. The employees don't commit fraud. They copy your info and sell to Russia. That way there is no trace. I have tracked down the entire process. I'm homing in on employee, who will not get in any trouble being in India. Let me warn you before you end up on the hook for 150000. How do I know? We own a law firm with I.T. security experts that designed firewalls for CIA. Also Straight Talk is the only company with those card numbers. I pay all in cash.

Original review: Nov. 12, 2018

After purchasing a plan online like I normally do they are telling me my phone will not work for 2-4 hours. This has never happened. I spoke with 3 different people and they could not fix this. The 3rd person actually told me to hang up the phone... They took my money already from my account so they got their money but I never got my service. I asked to speak to a manager and was told the same thing I would have to wait 2-4 hours for my phone to work. They are very unreliable and are not here for their customers' satisfaction but are only here for the money! I would rather pay 200$ for a working service than ever deal with Straight Talk again. Runarounds and zero satisfaction is what you will be left with when it's all said and done. Make sure you have money to flush down the toilet when dealing with this service because that's what happens in the end.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2018

Bought a Verizon phone at 8am and was told by Straight Talk to get a BYOP kit from Wal-Mart so I went to Wal-Mart and spent $48.02 on the kit and called them back after an hour and speaking to 5 different people and hung up on 3 times when they said they were transferring me to the higher up. After calling back and 3 people later I get told my new SIM card is for my old phone (It's never been in that phone). After 3 people trying to blame me saying I put it in my old phone and activated it then another person (the manager told me they apparently screwed up and activated it for my old phone so after them finally admitting it was their fault they told me I still need to buy another sim card.

I asked for a refund and was denied and he told me after I buy another kit then call them back. It's now 5 pm and still no luck and I can't use the sim card in my old phone cause they put it on a phone I had 3years ago which I don't even have. Worst company ever. Do not use them. I'm posting this everywhere untill they refund me. I WAS WITH THEM FOR 18 MONTHS! I was literally on the phone all day from 8 am to 5 pm. So now I'm stuck with the kit and lost out on $48.02. It's not much to them but it's a lot for people who dont really have it to spend.

Straight Talk Wireless Company Information