Miami, FL

3.0/5 (423 ratings)

About Straight Talk Wireless

Straight Talk is a no-contract phone plan that shares networks with four major cellphone service providers. It doesn’t restrict people to long-term contracts, and it offers nationwide coverage and more data plans with flexible payment options.

Pros

• Affordable options
  • Add-on features available
  • No contracts

Cons

• Data can be slow
  • No family plans

Bottom Line

Straight Talk offers basic cellphone coverage and the option to purchase discounted phones or keep your current phone. There are no contracts and no hidden fees.

Straight Talk Wireless Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Straight Talk Wireless?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Straight Talk Wireless?

Original review: Jan. 11, 2019

SO I waited several months for the cheapest phone on this site to be available for online purchase. Once available, nearly done submitting my credit card info online on their site, a live cast person comes to ask if I need help. Not that I needed any help but person asks for me to wait patiently while they check to see if that phone is available at the moment. I had to wait for several minutes... Now I had read elsewhere in someone else's comment to be warned. That they will tell you they don't have and try to get you to buy a different phone. Sure enough that is EXACTLY what happened!

So they would have been happy to take my info & money but had no phone (the 1 had been waiting for)??? Does that not sound screwy people?? Honestly, I was a bit taking back. This all seems very shady to me. I can truly say that it may have just been a blessing in disguise cause I almost paid for... I don't know what would have come in the mail or happened. The Live chat did mention about trying another phone, but when I said, "No. Thank you", they were gentle about it, compared to previous experiences I've had with others who are in the dept for sales. And so we then said our goodbyes. But Come On!!!

So this cheap phone they advertise in my very honest opinion is just to reel you in like bait on a hook, and then get you to buy a different phone that of course charges more. NO THANKS! The entire idea of getting the cheap phone is because it is cheap in price! If I have to pay for a higher price phone I can certainly AND NOW I WILL, take it to a different company with better applications to offer and such. Thanks, but no thanks! Do NOT waste your time with these people!!! I should have took heed of warning from others that posted reviews! Lesson learned.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

I have had Straight Talk since I was 17 years old... I have always had the auto refill and now that they upgraded their plan to $55 unlimited data I decided to go ahead and upgrade it to that. Well when my service became due they charged me for the wrong plan!!! I got a text just now saying that my data was almost up so I called them just now and spoke to a very rude girl who pretty much told me that I would have to wait till my service end date which is the 25th!!! I just got charged $50 to receive the wrong plan and they can’t do anything about it?...when it’s THEIR fault! Literally beyond mad??? I have been a loyal customer for 7 years and this is how I get treated!?

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

These people!!! Customer service sucks and will frustrate you to the max! I ordered a new cell SIM card because the current one I had was not compatible with the new phone I purchased! Straight Talk decided to require a signature for a $.99 SIM card! No one is home at the time of delivery in the middle of the day well because you know people do have jobs!!! They basically told me, "Order a new one and wait for a refund when FedEx sends it back"! No I couldn’t go pick it up from FedEx cause they are over an hour away from where I live! I seriously will make this my last month with them. I can’t deal any longer! The company needs to go out of business if they aren’t going to serve their customers correctly!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

Was recently inquired to purchase the 55 dollar plan whereas I always stuck with the 45 dollar plan, I read the fine print. It states that data is restricted at or around 60 gb. Which is beyond reasonable. However I have 3g speeds masked as 4g LTE. I haven't even reached 3 gigs yet and they already killed my high speed. I paid 10 dollars more for the same plan. Try streaming YouTube with data cut. Not fun. Thinking about launching a lawsuit for misleading information and false advertising. I've already gotten two phones. One with the 45 dollar plan, 1 with the 55 dollar plan and literally the buffer rates past high speed are the exact same. You get 4 gigs high speed on both plans and after that, that's it.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

The service is great, until you need customer service or tech support. They will waste HOURS of your time "checking their system", but will not resolve your problem nor will they credit you for service you pay for but don't receive. I've been with them about 4 yrs. They haven't fixed the issue or made it right. Have had issues since November, They refuse to refund the plan added 2 days ago when service was working. Spent another 3.5 hours with them today with 9 different people repeating same steps only to Supposedly make it to corporate supervisor on for him to say "I can't change policy," and hung up on me. I still have no mobile data and drop calls regularly. Do not be deceived by their cheap plans, they deliberately waste your time by keeping you on line for hours and accomplish nothing in that time.

Original review: Jan. 8, 2019

I wish I could post my picture as proof but do not buy from here. Their reviews are biased. They declined my review of 3 stars on the website because I was honest: My review on website: Product great! Customer service not so much. I had ran into a problem and had to call customer service. Instead of helping fix the problem, I came close to wanting to return the product because their customer service was the worst. They were rude, it took 14 minutes to find my information and then I was transferred to another person and he found it quickly but was very rude. My response from StraightTalk: "Brittany **, Our staff has read your review and values your contribution even though it did not meet all our website guidelines. Thanks for sharing, and we hope to publish next time!"

Original review: Jan. 6, 2019

I purchased one Straight Talk phone that worked for about 6 months; I contacted Straight Talk and had to send my new phone back to them, they sent me back a reconditioned phone; I was using it before Christmas 2018, and it shut off, saying that I didn't have no SIM Card; I have written to Straight Talk three times regarding my defective phone; no respond back from them. I went to Walmart in Savannah GA last Monday, and the man in electronics sold me a lesser cost phone by Straight Talk which it is now cutting me off while talking and also won't allow me to answer calls.

Today a lady at Straight Talk told me that since the warranty is out on the defective phone that I was using before Christmas is out of warranty that Straight Talk won't send me a replacement phone, but yet they want me to continue paying for something that isn't usable. Straight Talk is ripping people off. I will be returning the Straight Talk phone that I purchased last Monday December 31, 2018 back to Walmart for a refund. Buyers beware of Straight Talk phones; you'd be better off investing in a better company.

Original review: Jan. 4, 2019

This was my original review to Straight Talk: "I bought this to use while traveling to areas I knew I would not have WiFi. And it worked just fine, UNTIL I needed to get more data. I purchased more data, leaving on the hotspot as instructed, but the new data didn't appear. I finally called, and they did something on their end, told me to turn it off, turn it on. Then it worked again -- for about 10 minutes. Another 1.5 HOURS on the phone with their support and being passed around to 3 or 4 different people, the final solution was the SIM needed to be replaced. I don't have time for that, as I won't be in current location by the time the new SIM would arrive, so I want to return it. Ok, I can do that. BUT, I will NOT be refunded for the 5G that I purchased that morning, because in that brief period of time when it worked, we used 61M. Will never purchase Straight Talk again. The only reason I didn't give it 1 star is because when it did work, it was good".

I am now giving them 1 star after receiving the following from them about my review: "Our staff has read your review and values your contribution even though it did not meet all our website guidelines. Thanks for sharing, and we hope to publish next time! Submit something new. Thanks again, Straight Talk". There was nothing in the review form about any website guidelines. I had no profanity included in my review, so the only conclusion I can come to, is they didn't post it because it was negative, particularly of their service. Maybe others will find it useful here.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

I bought my son a new phone for Christmas. His previous phone was on Straight Talk with an auto renew. He left his old Straight Talk phone with me. Had been dead for days and I had no charger to charge it so no minutes had been used since 12/25/18. On 1/3/19, his plan auto renewed. We both spoke to customer service on 1/3/19 and were both transferred to the "refund" department (in quotes because I am quite sure that no one will ever receive a refund after talking to this department). Anyway, even though no minutes had been used they were not going to issue him a refund. Buyer Beware, read all of the terms and conditions before purchasing a plan. Everything on there is aimed at protecting Straight Talk and not us, the consumer. They cover themselves well. On anything that I have ever had, if you cancel the auto renew/plan/service, I always get at least a prorated amount of money back.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

It doesn't seem to matter what your problem is, even if it's a flat out false advertisement on their end, they basically tell you to go screw yourself, in spite of the fact that they just screwed you. If actual customer service and working with a company with some sort of integrity is important to you, Straight Talk is NOT THE WAY TO GO! Run far and fast straight to another provider that actually cares about their customers because Straight Talk IS NOT that company!!!

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

i've been with Straight Talk for a year now and my payments are on automatic Draft so why do I not have service? This is horrible. I need my phone. That's why I pay my bills. My next payment is due 12-03-2019. This is very disappointing and I have a monthly statement to prove my claim.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

I purchased two new Straight Talk phones and two plans for my Grands. One worked out fine. The second line had a number that was previously owned by someone else and was receiving text messages and phone calls that was inappropiate. I had phone number changed. Two days later, the phone service was disconnected. I talked to several people at straight talk and sent verification of phone purchase, minutes purchased. Still would not re-activate the phone. Asked to talk to supervisor and the Supervisor was rude and hung up on me three times after he told me that the only way I can get the service reinstated was to repurchase the minutes. This company is a ripoff. I wish I could give a less than one star rating. If someone is pleased with thier service, trust me, it won't last. This is the worse customer service I have ever dealt with in my life time.

Original review: Dec. 30, 2018

Bad service, slow speeds, false advertising. Unlimited data is not unlimited data. They cut you off at 60 gb and worse customer service, first you get an automated line which does not have an option to talk to a live person and you have to repeat yourself over and over. Now the topics that I've ever need it were mentioned. On top of that when I finally got through to a live person after try and options 20 minutes later your call is routed to India where they only speak broken English and do not try to solve your problem but simply read from a script and just keep repeating it. Very annoyed. Do not recommend for anyone. Verizon and Sprint are the best.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

I have had Straight Talk for a few years. Every month they bill the monthly charge earlier and earlier. We have called and complained and I kept saying in two years they would get a extra payment. Well this month I have been billed twice. You can never speak to someone who speaks English enough to understand. This company should be put out of business.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

Straight Talk served my purpose at the time. I always used it when I traveled. Clarity was fine. There was time when it was hard to hear. The help lines were foreign which was hard to understand. When I paid I set up automatic payments so I would not forget.

Original review: Dec. 27, 2018

I am a customer age 79. I have Straight Talk Service. I purchased a Galaxy J7 when I started my service in Feb., 2018. I decided in August, 2018 to get an IPHONE because my friend had one. I ordered it from Walmart and paid for it in full. After I received it, I was unable to use it correctly so I switched back to my Galaxy phone. My granddaughter had her iPhone broken recently so I gave her my iPhone 6 since it was not being used. However, the ISP is AT&T so I called and explained the problem, "Could I please get the iPhone unlocked." I was transferred to 4 different people, had a series of 8 phone calls (4 mine outgoing, 4 theirs incoming) and was actually on hold for 3 1/2 hours over the 7 hour period I was trying to get help. The man in the unlocking dept. would only say "Cannot unlock the phone (about 50 times)" and when I finally asked to speak with a supervisor I was told there was not one available. That all happened on 12/26/2018.

Today (12/27/2018) I spoke with Customer Care and was told needed to speak to the unlocking dept at least 15 time and was even hung up on while I was explaining what I had already been through. I was only given reference to the web page for Straight Talk and told to go to the very bottom of the web page and in very small print was the unlocking policy. I am very upset that this company does business without any concern for customer problems or solutions for the problems.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2018

I changed my plan to International Plan based on the information on the Straight Talk website that claimed there was coverage in that area. However, there was no coverage so my phone did not work at all. I wasted money on the more expensive plan and did not get to use my phone. I tried to change back to my original unlimited plan online via auto-refill and selected the option offered to have it take effect on my service end date next month, but it was going to charge me for it today. I have auto-refill already set up so why would I pay for my the plan today when I'm normally charged on my service end date and I selected the option for it to take effect on my service end date.

This terrible and sometimes rude customer service, misleading information, and my phone service not working when Straight Talk website clearly stated service is provided in that area are not customer friendly and causes customers to waste money on services they never receive. To top it off, Straight Talk does not provide refunds, only apologies that do not help resolve the issue! I'm highly disappointed and dissatisfied. I am changing my plan today.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

I paid for a service plan online and have proof through my account with US Bank that it was removed from my account, Straight Talk will not produce the minutes I paid for in full, they were extremely rude and unprofessional at all times and now due to my purchase my account balance is too low for me to follow their instructions. "Purchase another plan" so they can steal another $49.96 out of my account that doesn't have that much in it. Right on Straight Talk you are the best at stealing and not doing anything to resolve it. Never buy anything from Straight Talk Wireless unless you can afford to have a thief for a service provider. There is proof of this entire ordeal with Straight Talk.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2018

Purchased two phones for my daughter through Straight Talk website (still have receipt) for last year Christmas gifts. When I activated lines, I purchased the damage protection, Easy Exchange Plus annual contact (12-25-17 thru 12-25-18). I've been trying to get my daughter's phones replaced for the last month and had no luck. First told that my protection plan purchase don't exist for the phones, explained that I have the receipt for proof. They didn't want to see it. Second time told that coverage don't cover screen damage, explained that I can pull up on their website were out days it is covered and read it to them.

Asked to speak with a manager and was transferred three times to a different representative after being placed on hold for over 20 minutes each time. 3rd time told that I didn't purchase the plan for the timeframe I said. I asked if I could send copy of my receipt. Next told that since phone service is not active the plan canceled. Why would I purchase more airtime for a nonworking phone? How can the plan cancel without getting a notification or refund? Nowhere does it state that the service must remain activated to file a claim, even Verizon will suspend your line until the replacement phone is received. This is clearly false advertisement and they are stealing customer's money. Very angry.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2018

Firstly I tried to set up my new BYOP phone at the Straight Talk website through my existing account as a phone transfer. I had a phone with them for years and tried to transfer it to my new phone using the SIM card I bought from them and my new Verizon MEID. The website gave me errors saying to call them. The first ST employee told me that MEID on that phone didn't exist. I had to call them again then I found an employee that would manually type in my MEID to find it (important step if they can't find your MEID). The Straight Talk employee set up my phone and it was working. I had texting, phone and Internet. I woke up the next day and my phone service stopped working.

I called back and was told I had called to "cut off my service". I was told they gave away my phone number, put it on the $55 plan and cut off my auto refill which I had for years. You have no idea how upset I was!!! I stayed calm and I sat on the phone for at least 30 minutes while he tried to set my phone back up with my number. He finally got it working and I was told they restarted my service and my auto refill would begin again next month from the day I called. They said they would not recharge me but I haven't checked yet. I do not trust anything they say now. BYOP at your own risk because their employees might cut off your phone instead.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I just purchased a Galaxy 8S Plus and my old phone was an iPhone 5S. My problem is that all my text messages from people who have iPhones are going to my old iPhone and not my new phone. I first was told just to turn off the iPhone for 24 hours which I did. Then I was told 2 days later to turn off my Galaxy and turn it back on and send a text to my self and that will clear the problem. After the rep told me the reason why is because the old phone was still connected to wifi. My problem is still not fixed after spending hours on the phone the since Monday.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

So I was with Straight from November to December because I lived in Oregon and moved to Alaska. When I moved to Alaska the service worked intermittently. I would be on a call then drop it and then calls would not drop in the same area. So I researched the different service providers in Alaska and found the best one is GCI (still some areas have no reception but no dropped calls). When I switched I had the service for about 40 days and thought well I have a phone that is paid for so I will pay to get it unlocked. I paid 70 dollars just to get it unlocked and found that the company marked as blocked, reported stolen, or lost.

When I called the company all the agent could say is that I need to pay for service for one year before they remove it. So you pay for a phone completely which is costly 150 was what I paid for the iPhone which is now lower. Then you pay for service just to be put into a contract? When the service is no contract, then it should mean the phone is also no contract. I have a spouse who is visually impaired which is why I bought some iPhones. Normally I would not worry about it but I don't have the money to keep paying for iPhone after iPhone especially when I paid these two off outright. I will not refer anyone to go with Straight Talk because of this experience. I am now needing to get another iPhone because of the nature of this situation and they are unwilling to assist me (it is my problem to deal with). Don't purchase your phone through Straight Talk. You will be wasting your money.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

With Straight Talk, I was forced to understand why AT&T, Verizon, Sprint etc charge the way they do for their services. Not only are you paying for the products, but you’re paying for a quality level of customer service. I by far have experienced the worst with Straight Talk. One day I had an issue, requested to speak with a supervisor and the representative attempted to change his voice, and state he was a supervisor. These representatives will disconnect the call if you as the customer present any form of an issue or express any form of concern. I brought my own phone number to this company, and since then, I receive harassing calls and texts from scammers daily! This company proves you literally get what you pay for! I’d rather have a $100 phone bill rather than continue with Straight Talk. Their service is literally disgusting and disturbing.

Original review: Dec. 17, 2018

I recently have been trying to give my son my Samsung Galaxy S7 that was used with AT&T for his Straight Talk account. The first call with customer service was ok; I was told that I needed to purchase a SIM card for the phone. So, we go to Walmart, but they only have the sets for new customers which include the first month fee. I don't want this seeing how we aren't new customers and I have it set up for auto withdrawal for the monthly payments. So, I call from Walmart and see how I can get just the SIM card. The girl this time (and they are all foreign! lot of trouble with language barrier) tells me the Samsung isn't eligible for Straight Talk. I have to tell her the last person told me that it was and just needed SIM card, so after an hour long conversation in Walmart on my cell, she finally figured out how to order the SIM card for me and mail it.

So about 1 1/2 week later the card comes in and we call to see how to set it up, and again I am told by the foreign customer service rep that my phone is ineligible to be used on Straight Talk. After arguing with her, she finally figures out that she is wrong. So, we start with the SIM card they sent me and guess what! They sent me the wrong SIM card! So, they want to send me another and make me pay AGAIN! I am livid by now, so ask for a manager. This person finally knows something; and is able to connect this card for me. This whole transaction takes 1-2 hours. The phone appears to be working, but then suddenly it reverts back to the old phone and the old SIM about an hour later.

I call, and they say they cannot fix it because the SIM card we just installed on the new phone is now "expired". So, we are awaiting SIM card #2 to come in the mail now. We will see how it goes when it comes in. If there are any more problems, I am going to go to another carrier that can switch my Samsung Galaxy S7 to their service without a problem. I would not recommend Straight Talk because of the horrid customer service.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2018

I pay unlimited for 4 years, I have every receipt. I can never access internet, never use all minutes and never text. Will not carry over minutes for calls and text unused, 47.81 a month. I don't take pictures, can't send them. But phones are needed. It's a flip phone. Never video.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

Called in to discuss the issue my # was having (my phone would not accept any communications from anyone outside of Verizon's network) and had both the initial tech and her manager fully explain my situation several times only to hear "the only information we can provide is a ticket number and porting request number". When asked to provide any written documentation about the port they ended my call abruptly (yeah--they literally hung up). They refused to speak with my other service provider, send any documentation, or come up with any resolution what-so-ever. There is also no other contact info besides live chat for support. So it looks like they get to be terrible at customer service without consequence as there are no other methods of contact for CS issues. Fortunately, they are no longer my problem.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

Straight Talk sucks. I switched to Verizon after being in order to get my brand new phone that I bought. It was only month old. First thing that kept happening is my service would just go. They would say, "Oh you need a new sim," and send me one within a day. It would work again then it just stopped working at only a month old. Tried to get a replacement. The guy said, "No you don't have to send the defective one back," so I sold as a part phone come to find out I did have to send it back first. They suck. Verizon prepaid is 100 time better.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I hope someone at Consumer Affairs will contact me with urgent help. I am from South Africa. I arrived in Orlando USA on Friday 7 Dec 2018. As I will be traveling through various areas, I went to Walmart and purchased a Straight Talk Wireless Kit for 45USD. This is a costly purchase for me. I mainly require mobile data for my travels. I activated this service on my mobile phone on Saturday morning. The pack contains 3 SIM cards. I first used the AT&T sim card. This gave me instant data, text and calls service. I could not activate the HotSpot so I called the Straight Talk Customer Support. The agent told me that the AT&T card is not compatible with my iPhone from South Africa so he deactivated that sim and activated the Verizon sim. Once disconnected, and after switching the phone on, I had no data access.

I then called the company several times (6 to 7 times) from about 10 am until about 2 pm on Saturday, speaking to various agents, who were troubleshooting the problem, then transferring me to higher departments and corporate office and every time they troubleshoot, we have to end the call, reboot the phone, then call them back, speak to a new agent and start all over. I am now also told that I cannot reactivate the AT&T sim as once deactivated, it cannot be activated again. I cannot get a refund even though this was not my fault that the product does not work for me. I spent over 4 hours chatting to various agents whilst I am suppose to be enjoying my vacation here. Different agents give me different information. It’s now Mon 10 Dec. I am out of pocket with 45USD and no access to data. I have now been reading up on this company and find only bad reviews.

I always thought of the USA to stand high for customer protection. Why is this company allowed to operate with such products and no recourse for customers and why does Walmart support such companies? I cannot spend further time on this, so I will have to spend more money later and go to AT&T directly. All I want is my 45USD back or for them to offer me a quick solution to resolve my problem. They are not offering me any such solution and merely transferring me to higher departments for more and more troubleshooting with no solutions.

The refund dept did offer me a new AT&T card to be mailed to my resort but only in 5 working days, which does not assist me as I urgently require data and cannot wait. When I called on Sunday to take up the offer of another AT&T card, they are now asking me to purchase a new card. Please can someone out there help me urgently.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

I bought this phone in Nov-17 and has been using it with Straight Talk plan since then. After 1 year this Dec-18 when I called helpdesk for phone unlock code which as per Straight Talk policy "eligible to unlock phone after 12 month of consecutive service" reply was phone never got used with Straight Talk and this is a new phone. I explained them that I have been using it with Straight Talk and paying for services since past more than 12 months but no one cares to help me. Call transferred 3 time without any resolution and customer care was too RUDE. This is the worst customer care I ever landed up with.

Original review: Dec. 8, 2018

I truly hope this review will save at least one person from the hardships I encountered by using Straight Talk Wireless. Straight Talk Wireless may be "cheap" but you get what you pay for. Cell Service drops quite often, once you use about 2 GB of your data it slows down to extremely slow. You are unable to stream music, videos, let alone send text messages in a timely manner. Unbeknownst to me, once you purchase a phone through Straight Talk, that phone is locked into ONLY Straight Talk service for a whole year. Regardless of your happiness with your current plan or your desires to change services. I purchased a $500 iPhone through Straight Talk and not once did the sales representative inform me of this absolutely obscene "rule."

My due date to renew service changed every month. It started out on the 13th of every month. Two months go by and it changed to the 12th. Another month goes by it changes to the 11th. And so on until this month it was due the 9th. When I inquired about the change and that it did not include a full 30 days of service, I was told to "look at a calendar and count the days," that I was receiving 30 days of service. Which I was not. One month was only 27 days of service. Another only 29 days. I inquired 3 times about this issue and again was told it was because "some months have 30 days and others have 31," as I am just a complete idiot. They slowly rip you off of days of service.

Getting ahold of a human representative is literally impossible. You must go on their website to "chat" with a deplorable human who clearly dislikes their job. They were rude and unhelpful every time I reached out about my service. After 11 months of service through Straight Talk I decided to switch back to Verizon. After starting the Port process and putting in the Verizon SIM card, I realized a problem afoot. I had to take my BRAND NEW phone into Verizon for them to tell me it was "locked to Straight Talk only" and there was nothing anyone could do about it because that is Straight Talk's "rule." I was forced to buy an entire new phone, case, and screen protector, otherwise I would be phone-less until who knows when. So, now I am stuck with a brand new, unusable phone and out over $900 because Straight Talk is Straight **. PLEASE DO NOT USE STRAIGHT TALK.

Straight Talk Wireless Company Information