2.90/5

Need an online billing service?

QuickBooks Online Simple Start

Need an online billing service?

120 QuickBooks Online Simple Start Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 18, 2019

Quickbooks Online doesn't have educated stuff. No one in the support group has basic accounting skills. They can't help you with the basics: Customer refund if customer overpaid you and you already issued a refund check, and you need to record the refund in QBO to clear the customer balance. With the journal entries, if you have an annual subscription customer, and they paid you for the whole year. There are much more things that they don't know how to help you. They type what they hear, and read what the instruction tells them, which is oftentimes not what you need to help with.

Original review: Aug. 24, 2019

QuickBooks has NO Customer Service. Their on-line "chat" doesn't work at all. Also, they are false advertising by allowing a computer "fix" service to advertise on their "Support" page who wants to charge money to "fix" your computer. My computer is not broken. QuickBooks does not have a number to call for questions. They are not helpful in the least. I'm looking for a different company. They are not user friendly.

Get expert buying tips about Online Billing and Invoicing Software delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2019

I tried to enter my new CC (we run payroll through QB) It would not enter. I called and spoke to a rep as we tried to enter it using different Safari vs Chrome, restarting laptop etc etc. The rep informed me that QB is doing a system change over and that is what is causing the glitch. After the first portion of the call which lasted 49 minutes, I've been transferred to a tier one rep. The tier one rep would not speak to me directly but instead is standing next to the 1st rep speaking to him and the rep is relaying everything I am saying and back and forth... a process that feels messy.

After another 46 minutes of them trying to figure out a way for me to ENTER MY CC INFO SO THAT I CAN PROCESS MY EMPLOYEES' PAYROLL the tier two rep tries to tell me that THIS IS A PAYROLL DEPARTMENT ISSUE and transfer me... lol he actually tried to pawn me off after nearly two hours. Because I am here in the office late, I missed an important family dinner, and my employees will not be paid. Now here comes the cold water. When I asked the tier 1 rep what kind of fair compensation I should be expecting (they are basically holding by business hostage for no ransom.) the tier 1 relayed back that they don't compensate for issues like these.

Before he could transfer me back into queue I INSISTED that they hold while I get my CPA on the phone. I got her on the phone and she EXPLAINED to them that we are not setup on "wholesale billing". So the tier 1 had tried to pawn me off back into the queue after offering no apologies, no compensation and no solution... In short this company will not show ANY sort of accountability when there is a mistake they even acknowledge they made.

3 hours in and I am writing this review while STILL on the call. Now I've been elevated to a tier 2. hopefully they can allow me the very basic services I pay for and someone will be spared such a horrible experience as I am having. The one highlight is the very first guy that answered the phone (Zane) tried to stick with the call past his quitting time. He even said it was totally unfair but there was nothing he could do to help. The glitch was bad enough, missing a very special family dinner, employees' direct deposits won't clear and childsupport payments will be late. The impact of this is far reaching and I PAY FOR A SERVICE I am not able to access. They are now telling me it will take up to 72 hrs to fix the issue.

Original review: Aug. 21, 2019

I have been trying to contact customer support and literally there is hell to go through to just get their number. On top of that there is no number to call they force you to choose "call back". They never did for hours and when they did the agent hang up on me. Horrible, horrible to work w QB online. They made it so complicated comparing to the Desktop. Very very frustrating. I do not recommend it due to lack of organization and support. Help serves for nothing. Very confusing and the simplest issues QB Online is making extremely hard.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2019

Absolute trash. I’ve been lied to 13 times in 4 business days. DO NOT USE THEM. I am absolutely moving to another accounting system tomorrow. Their “support” people make up “policies” at free will. I was told after closing an account that I’ve had for 3 years that they would carry the credibility to our new account. Well, that didn’t happen and despite not having 1 SINGLE ISSUE with my payments in 3+ years, they’ve held 2/3 of my payments this month causing hundreds of overdraft fees and financial issues.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about QuickBooks Online Simple Start?

Original review: July 24, 2019

I set it up an account with Quickbooks (Intuit) as a reference from a co-worker. First time sending a invoice and using their online payment guess what, I haven’t see the money, they have charge all their fees, but has never made my payment. I am the one who has to chase them because they don’t call or contact you. After several attempts I finally talked with a different “department “ supposed to be by email only, and they say that my account hasn’t been verify by them. I want to laugh.

If it it’s not verified why they let me send invoice, and gave me the option to charge my client credit card. It doesn’t make any sense, and when you call customer service they look like they are robots talking the same thing over and over. Glad I fill out a claim with attorney general office. It’s frustrating not having answer and your money is there “suspended.” Very disappointing. Not recommended at all.

Original review: July 23, 2019

The QuickBooks online has a 50% off deal and after I finished my 30 day trial I was told I wouldn't receive the 50 percent off after the trial and I didn't get anything from Chris other than you received a free trial instead of the discount so it was never a free trial. And the sales rep told me no mater if I talked to a manager I would never receive the 50% percent discount. Sales rep "Chris **".

Original review: July 20, 2019

Was told the platform was terrible by multiple business owners, but figured it was their users, not the software. Turns out, I was wrong. One of the Worst business mistakes I have made was having two of my companies switch to QBO to appease a new business partner; just cancelled one and am switching the other before the day is out.

I know you can't get mad at the customer service because they are just doing their job, but these people gave multiple excuses for charging 20x (yes, twenty-**-times) the fee for what was once a free ACH transfer. Turns out they falsify their advertisements, and while you can find 0% fees and $.50 fees for ACH all across their website and ads, they have a "new" fee schedule buried in their website as well; good luck finding it until after you have ran a series of invoices and have already been charged the "Non-refundable" fees.

As for the accounting software, it is mediocre at best (dozens of better alternatives, just Google it). The support is abysmal; didn't take me very long to speak with representatives, but after multiple calls to resolve separate issues (the other worthy of a negative review in-and-of itself), I was only able to close the merchant service account. Unfortunately these people work for a terrible company that will someday be bankrupt, not necessarily their fault. No business can be ran so deceptively, poorly, and incompetently and stay around; regardless of the old-market monopoly they are riding on. My advice: AVOID QUICKBOOKS ONLINE & INTUIT LIKE THE PLAGUE! You will thank me someday, trust me.

Original review: July 5, 2019

This would be the worst accounting package that I have ever used. I have been using this company for last 7 years. Currently I found out I have been charged for none active contractors for last 4-5 years. Contractors wasn't active but been charged over $8000. When I call why I have been charged for this? they said that this contractors show as active in the system. I said even though you know no check or 1099 been written to this contractors? They didn't even care to give any credit. I spent about two hrs to resolve this issue but got nothing.

Original review: June 11, 2019

Intuit has made it almost impossible to cancel a subscription. If you decide to use their online system be aware that it will take several calls to close your account. I was ignored in the chat and all of the directions for canceling online were wrong.

QuickBooks Online Simple Start expert review by Shelley Elmblad

QuickBooks Online is developed by Intuit, a long time leader in accounting software for small- to mid-sized businesses and tax software. There’s a 30-day free trial with iOS, Android and Blackberry apps.

• How much does QuickBooks cost?: At $12.95 per month, the Simple Start version is a low-cost way to send invoices and have access to a good set of small business accounting features. If a business eventually needs more features, it’s easy to upgrade to higher versions of QuickBooks for $26.95 to $39.95 per month, and $39 per month for payroll services. To accept invoices, you need to use Intuit Merchant Services for $19.95 per month plus per transaction and other fees.

• Signing up: When you sign up for free trial, it’s strongly suggested you should add payroll service. Look for “continue without payroll” button if you’re not interested in that feature. An upgrade to a higher version for another $14 per month is required for recurring invoices.

• Grows with business: If your business grows, you can add the ability to manage and pay bills, have multiple people use QuickBooks Online simultaneously, manage payroll and add inventory management features.

• Easy to use: QuickBooks Online Simple Start is very easy to use with intuitive tabs and graphics and was designed for people who are new to online billing and invoicing and accounting in general.

• No limits: Send unlimited invoices and estimates.

• Best for: self employed, independent contractors and mobile professionals.

Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
      Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

QuickBooks Online Simple Start Company Information