2.99/5

Need an online billing service?

QuickBooks Online Simple Start

Need an online billing service?

113 QuickBooks Online Simple Start Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 20, 2019

Was told the platform was terrible by multiple business owners, but figured it was their users, not the software. Turns out, I was wrong. One of the Worst business mistakes I have made was having two of my companies switch to QBO to appease a new business partner; just cancelled one and am switching the other before the day is out.

I know you can't get mad at the customer service because they are just doing their job, but these people gave multiple excuses for charging 20x (yes, twenty-**-times) the fee for what was once a free ACH transfer. Turns out they falsify their advertisements, and while you can find 0% fees and $.50 fees for ACH all across their website and ads, they have a "new" fee schedule buried in their website as well; good luck finding it until after you have ran a series of invoices and have already been charged the "Non-refundable" fees.

As for the accounting software, it is mediocre at best (dozens of better alternatives, just Google it). The support is abysmal; didn't take me very long to speak with representatives, but after multiple calls to resolve separate issues (the other worthy of a negative review in-and-of itself), I was only able to close the merchant service account. Unfortunately these people work for a terrible company that will someday be bankrupt, not necessarily their fault. No business can be ran so deceptively, poorly, and incompetently and stay around; regardless of the old-market monopoly they are riding on. My advice: AVOID QUICKBOOKS ONLINE & INTUIT LIKE THE PLAGUE! You will thank me someday, trust me.

Original review: July 5, 2019

This would be the worst accounting package that I have ever used. I have been using this company for last 7 years. Currently I found out I have been charged for none active contractors for last 4-5 years. Contractors wasn't active but been charged over $8000. When I call why I have been charged for this? they said that this contractors show as active in the system. I said even though you know no check or 1099 been written to this contractors? They didn't even care to give any credit. I spent about two hrs to resolve this issue but got nothing.

Get expert buying tips about Online Billing and Invoicing Software delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 11, 2019

Intuit has made it almost impossible to cancel a subscription. If you decide to use their online system be aware that it will take several calls to close your account. I was ignored in the chat and all of the directions for canceling online were wrong.

Original review: June 10, 2019

I use Quickbooks online. I have a mobile service and I need to be able to charge peoples credit card at their home. The majority of my customers pay via CC. Their iPhone app is currently broken so I am basically out of business. I asked that they reimburse my monthly fee for my inconvenience and they said no. I think it is time for me to find another provider.

Original review: June 3, 2019

It's hard to say anything nice about a company in which you can't even get ahold of. I am being charged annually for a desktop software in which I own and can't get ahold of anyone to speak to. I was literally on hold for 1 hour and 4 minutes, walked away from the phone while it was on hold since I couldn't wait all day, and they hung up on me. UNBELIEVABLE! In addition, I'm trying to converse online and it took them over 10 minutes to answer.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about QuickBooks Online Simple Start?

Original review: May 28, 2019

Originally started with QB in 2002. Every time I would upgrade, the new version (Microsoft) always had some bug. In 2017, I went to an Apple Laptop. I kept the 2015 QB going on my old computer. In October 2018, I transferred my QB file properly to QB for Mac. From Day 1, I had problems with the program Crashing in the Vendor Mode and Bill Pay. I have been on the phone with Tier One, Tier Two, and now Tier 3 to no avail. Program still crashing. I have pick and choose which Vendors I can open, and double check if a Vendor has been paid. I could not close my books for 2017 or 2018. They blame it on everyone else but themselves. Keep telling me they are working on it. It is in reality a data coding problem.

I have been on the phone over 10 times, for more than 25 hours. They say they will call back but do not. They have CS people with terrible accents. Tried to reach the American head office and waited over an hour on the line waiting for someone to answer, and finally they do, and say they will transfer me then the line goes dead. This American Company should be ashamed of how they treat their customers.. I am stuck between a rock and a hard place.. DO NOT BUY ANY QUICKBOOKS PRODUCT..

Original review: May 17, 2019

This would be the worst accounting package that I have ever used. I have used 3 x different packages to date and nothing comes close to how dreadful the customer service and platform is. I could write a novel on how dreadful the service is and the follow up from their consultants. This product is well marketed and looks good but is extremely non-friendly. If you want the ability to customise your invoices like other platforms, keep away from this product. I have spent several days working with the QB team trying to customise an invoice to show the relevant information we require.

Even the QB team cannot work out why things don't work on it - and they created the word template for me! Their final suggestion was to leave a field out as they don't know why it did not work but should. This scenario has happened more than once. Including payroll issues. If you use this, you will need to double check payroll on first entry because of the way it calculates start dates with work week start. If you have the time to double check work, payroll, get poor customer service and issues unsolved then this is the platform for you.

Original review: May 14, 2019

Terrible customer service from a so called manager Courtney. Cancelled a payroll subscription (after 2.5 yrs) and was still charged monthly fee after cancellation. They say you must cancel your subscription within 60 days of enrolling in order to receive a refund. Courtney states they do not give refunds after cancellation.

Original review: May 13, 2019

I called Quickbooks customer service twice to get a simple refund on a product I purchased and cancelled same day. The first time was to request the refund. They couldn't help me and suggested I argue the expense with the credit company instead. That took about an hour. Then I got on the phone, which took about an hour and a half and they said they'd refund me in 2-3 WEEKS. A month passed by and I still don't have my refund, so I contact them again. I waited THREE HOURS overall and they tell me the refund will appear on NEXT YEAR'S billing statement. Ridiculous.

Original review: May 13, 2019

You may find, as I did, that QuickBooks Online often gets 4.5 star reviews. These must be paid. There is no way in the world, if that had an experience remotely like mine, that they would have even 2 stars. Their customer service is absolutely awful. You will always wait at least 30-45 minutes to just be connected to someone. And it's not much faster if you write to someone other their "faster chat portal". You will be put on multiple holds and wait more. You will get transferred to other people, and they won't know how to help or will not be qualified to help.

If you think the chat will be better, you are wrong. They will take forever to connect. Once they do, they type as fast as I would if I was using my tongue. They will ask you all the necessary starting information (VERY SLOWLY), and then finally they will tell you that you need to call anyway. I am so grateful to God that I didn't pay for this service because I would have wanted to be paid after the awful experience I had. If you don't mind waiting for hours for problems to not get resolved, then use them. However, I wouldn't wish this service on my worst enemy.

Original review: April 30, 2019

I have been a customer of Quickbooks for several years, paying $60/month on their "plus" plan. Today, I was tricked into signing up for an "Advanced" Subscription "trial period". I had no idea I had done this. I was told I had to "upgrade" my desktop app and when I did, it apparently automatically enrolled me in "trial" of their Advanced program.

One little pop-up told me that I had 2 weeks of trial and then my plan would increase to $150/month. I called and it took a technician approximately 5 minutes to help me "undo" the switch and get back to my old plan. She said there is no opt out and that Quickbooks is forcing all of its Plus Users into the new advanced plan (apparently without their knowledge). I told her I believe this is unethical and she said they have been getting a lot of complaints. No wonder! I am now considering finding an alternative, because I don't like doing business with unethical companies. Shame on you, Quickbooks!

Original review: April 24, 2019

I've used the QB desktop product since 2002 and have been running small business computerized accounting on multiple programs on multiple platforms since 1979. Since 2005, I've forked over hundreds of dollars a year to keep ProAdvisor status and payroll options for my clients and, until QB Online, had reasonable respect for Intuit. However... When I called on behalf of a new client, their sales staff could not answer basic questions about using the QBO package in rural areas where some of my most important clients have their businesses. They seemed to have no concept of bandwidth requirements or minimum system architecture to make the package run properly without long wait times in the experience. Some of the customer complaints I've read seem like just the sorts of things that happen because of latency issues which arise in these conditions. My client decided to use QBO and I settled in for the learning curve.

If you do have the package, you are probably better running through a browser than the app. The browser approach offloads some of the work to their system rather than your CPU. Also, a discrete graphics system on your computer rather than one integrated into your CPU as happens in many lower-end computers will greatly reduce the wait time between steps as you work. Intuit doesn't help with this. QBO is loaded with eye candy and ads of various sorts which only further slow things down. I found a further lack of flexibility when trying to run some reports for a client when I discovered that you can't move items in the chart of accounts to fit a desired order. Instead, the "Help" section suggested I export to Excel and alter the output as needed. Little "gotchas" like these seem to pop up too often.

Finally, if all your data is online and something happens to their overall system, you're dead in the water. Unlike the desktop product which allows you to make backups you can actually get to, QBO doesn't go there. Over the years, Intuit seems to have adopted a business model with a focus on subscription earnings rather than the choppier income of discrete unit sales and end-of-service-life renewals. This shows up in the QBO product in some of the worst ways where glitz has been elevated and palmed off as function.

Original review: April 19, 2019

Three months ago an error occurred with my login. I simply cannot get into my accounts anymore, seriously hindering my business. Helpdesk says their back office is investigating the problem, but this has been going on for three months now!! In the meantime monthly payments get withdrawn from my credit card. Relying on cloud services with such appalling customer service could kill your business.

Original review: April 3, 2019

I've used QuickBooks Online for more than 10 years. I opened it up today and they automatically upgraded me to the most expensive plan. When I went to the settings to change the plan there is a button - downgrade. When I click on the downgrade button it forces me to call them, and over the phone they have to give you a URL to type in where you can change the plan. This is against the law. There should be an opt out button. Without having to make a phone call.

Original review: March 21, 2019

I have been using Excel as my platform for keeping track of my Self Employed and LLC expenses for a number of years. I decided to try QuickBooks self-employed thinking that I was spending too much time creating my own accounting system. What a nightmare. After downloading the product, within 24 hours I realized that it wasn't going to allow me to sort and get the separated reports of the costs I needed to separate. It will not allow you to create your own categories, and many self-employed people need to categorize things differently that QuickBooks thinks they do. There is no customer support at all for this product.

I had signed up for a 3 month trial, and the cost was pretty low to get started, but I was so frustrated that it would have been a waste of time to even trying to use the product, and the product advertising information was so minimal that I didn't feel it gave you enough information, I not only canceled, but I tried to get a refund, or at least stop the billing for the 3 month trial.

After multiple emails back and forth from "Customer Service" (and I use that term very loosely) confirming that my account was canceled, they stated that they couldn't refund any of my money. I decided that it was just a cost I was going to eat. Three months later, my credit card shows a new charge for the full amount for the product that I had canceled. I went on to my account to confirm that it was canceled, and it wouldn't let me on--it gave me a Welcome back/Resubscribe page. So QuickBooks was now going to charge me for a canceled account? The only way I finally got this billing to stop was to dispute the charge with my credit card. Don't waste your time or money with QuickBooks self-employed.

Original review: March 13, 2019

Summary: They make you to pay in order to recover corrupted data in their cloud database and they blame you for that (e.g. you keep the QuickBooks online open for too long when working - seriously?!!). Our LLC opened a company on 2017 and on 2018 we decided to go to QuickBooks online to make easy update transaction from the bank and credit card. Now, during the 2019 tax season, we are trying to create some reports and data consistency error appeared. We called support and the only solution they provided was pay them +$200 to recover data and repair the database (it increased to $500 when you call the second time - a clear indication that they just want to make you pay).

We asked how can we be responsible for the lost of the data is QuickBooks is a online based software and they said that their database it is sensitive and vulnerable to the local machine you are using. The most stupid answer I had have ever, it may happen when you keep the QuickBooks online open for long time. My advice, keep away from it although it may look nice and convenient at the beginning. From my perspective, they are professional scammers.

Original review: March 12, 2019

No need to get in to all the details of the customer service. After 13 years some CEO making millions needed more money and double our price. Trying to talk them online is like talking to a hole in the wall. Non-existence customer service and funny thing is we used this product for 13 years but our accounting firm has the same problem with them so we all are leaving for back to basic desktop accounting software. Hope the new CEO enjoys his new yacht.

Original review: March 11, 2019

Where do I start. I have been using Intuit TurboTax for over 10 years for filling my taxes, not anymore! I made the mistake to sign up for this self employed QuickBooks. What a waste of $200. App seemed to be very helpful until I actually had to transfer all the data accumulated over 1 year into the file for my taxes. I just could not figure out how to do it. You think customer service would help! THINK TWICE! After multiple calls disconnected or people not even saying anything after picking up, I got frustrated and did my taxes without. TurboTax had a self employed version that they offered and paid for that. So I emailed to complain about my experience. Omg. Do not waste your time. I specifically said I am disappointed and requested a refund for the months I have been paying subscription. After long back and forths I realized the agent never understood me. How can you be mad? These people barely speak English! Save your money!

Original review: March 6, 2019

Save your money! If you have any issue at all, and you try to call customer service, you will be directed overseas to some call center where no one knows what they are doing and speak broken English at best. They do not care about customer satisfaction. They do not document details of the call or follow through with anything they said was going to happen. Each time saying permission wasn't granted, another hour phone call was made to give permission, and was told the same thing 4 times calling back. We had to cancel our service as this company is a complete joke. Yes it may save the company money to outsource your customer service department, but was that really a wise business decision? I'll wait.

Original review: March 5, 2019

The fact that their sales team is poorly trained and their customer service was so bad kept me from ever using the product. I set up the service and was quoted a price of $10 flat for the first year as a loyalty reward and then it was supposed to go to $20 a month after that. I tried to log into the account and was blocked out. It took some time to get to customer service. I was on the phone with them for about 80 minutes and they could not resolve the problem. I was told that tech support would contact me in 3 days.

Since I don't have 3 days to wait I canceled the account. I was told I could restart the system at the same price and it would activate right away. I spoke to 3 different reps all of whom quoted a different price. When I asked the 2nd guy to speak to a supervisor I was told that none were available (right?). I called back to the 3rd guy and was quoted yet another price. I asked again to speak to a supervisor. This time after a 10-minute hold I spoke with a supervisor. He apologized and said he'd speak to the people involved. But he said he could do nothing to match the price nor give me a better contact number for customer service. I foresaw many future nightmares and opted not to buy this product again. Buyer beware.

Original review: March 3, 2019

QuickBooks Online is an absolutely terrible product. Terrible in accounting functionality. Terrible by software standards. Terrible customer support. I have been using and writing software since the 1970s and I honestly can’t remember anything this bad. I’ve used QBO for three years. The final straw for me came today. I spent about four hours categorizing transactions for 2018 taxes. QBO lost everything, not just the categorization, but all the original transaction data. I’m going to have to rebuild everything from printed bank statements. How such a big and successful company can create such a bad product is beyond my comprehension.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2019

QuickBooks is a horrible product. They have no integrity. I purchased the year to qualify for a huge discount. They then signed me up for a Trial instead of the year. I contacted their support to see why I was getting a renew subscription message. They then told me that he was able to see the year subscription. He said he would fix it. Later same message. When I called back to fix the message, the promotional rate was continently no longer available.

Original review: Feb. 14, 2019

I work for a small business. When I started the company was using QuickBooks desktop version. In 2017 we had to switch to the online version as desktop was no longer going to be supported. All I can say is the program has so many issues and my experience with QuickBooks Online has been nothing but frustrating. I have wasted hours of time on calls with customer service. Most of the time they could not answer or help me resolve the issue. On a few occasions, CS did resolve the issue after a few hours.

I work part-time (4 hours a day). Half my work time spent uselessly on the phone with CS! The most recent issue was an invoice created through QBs, the total amount was $899 the client we work for does not accept just our invoice, I have to enter into their billing system line by line item including our hourly rate and amount of time spent and then upload our QB invoices so they have to match.

After entering into their system the total on their system was $799. I thought it was our client's billing system not ours. I called our client and they could not figure out the issue. I tried three different times to enter into our client's billing system after clearing the browser cache, rebooting and some other things hoping it would fix the glitch. It did not! When entering into our client's system I noticed the numbers were different on a particular line item, their system calculates as I enter the time and billable rate and that is when I noticed our invoice amount was incorrect. I double checked with a calculator and discovered the problem was QB. The program miscalculated one line item amount by $100. Should I be checking the amounts of each and every line item every time I create an invoice?

Today I discovered that the billable rate for a particular client populated in our most recent invoice as a billable rate of $345 on some items and $395 on others. I checked the billable amount entered as a service item in QBs it shows a billable rate of $395. Another QBs mistake!! I looked at our last bill to this client and the entire hourly billable rate was $345! We lost a lot of money because of this QBs error. I should not have to double check the billable amount for every invoice for each of our clients. Thanks again QBs for consuming my time!

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

If you choose starter package, you will end of rip off, charges, price will go up crazy. Very rude customer service. They do not Care where you coming from, bunch of Robot, repeating worthless info. Now I use email, sending email as receipt for client, detailing parts and labour and calculating Tax with Calculator, much more easy and no cost.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2019

I got started using Quickbooks Online around 2010 when my wife and I formed an LLC to sell her artwork online. Based on my earlier good experience with Quicken and Turbo tax I decided to give Quickbooks Online a try. It was easy to set up and soon I had my little company up and running on their free cloud service. Since our activity was small I managed to keep things running for free for years, even when the free service went away. My account told me that my trial would expire in more than 1000 days, so I thought everything was great. Until I tried to log in yesterday to enter my 2018 data.

I was greeted with the message "unfortunately there is no Quickbooks online company or Quickbooks Account account associated with **...." And they gave me the option to create a new trial account. I spent 2 hours on the phone with their tech support, who kept me on hold most of the time while they were checking on my account's status. The remainder of the time was spent in futilely clicking around this screen they apparently had never seen before. Their excuse for customer support was really pathetic. The call ended with the line just going dead.

I lost 8 years of sales data by trusting Intuit's cloud service, which of course did not include an export backup function unless I actually paid them money. In the end they terminated my account without so much as an email warning, which would have certainly gotten my attention and prompted me to send some money their way. I certainly would not recommend their cloud version of Quickbooks. The only reason for not buying the desktop version of Quickbooks would be the "security" of keeping your data in the cloud, which is a total farce in their case. I can't see spending $10+ per month for software that offers no real security from data loss.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2019

Started with Quickbooks a year ago. I was told my first few payments would take longer than normal to process due to being a new customer. A year later, I'm still waiting an entire week for any ACH payments. I think it's ridiculous they can blame every other bank (issuing or receiving) but themselves on why it takes them so long to process ACH payments. I call for support and lo and behold they talk in circles, blame everyone else, and rob you for your money every month. They NEVER can actually address the concern you are calling about, they are programmed to answer as robots. Would not recommend!. I would have given 0 stars if I could!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2019

My entire experience with QuickBooks Online was an exercise in frustration. They have tried to make a user-friendly product to appeal to a wider population of users and have ended up with something that is extremely frustrating to use. I am used to the desktop version of QuickBooks so thought it may just be a learning curve but after a month and half I have given up. The customer service was useless each time I had to contact them regarding an issue.

The final straw was when I was not able to run my payroll. My 30-day trial was up so I tried to subscribe to the payroll service and received an "unknown error". After spending 40 minutes on the phone with customer support the lady told me there was nothing they could do as other company's were experiencing the same issue but there was no resolution as of yet. I asked if there was anyone else I could speak to about escalating the issue and all she said was unfortunately not. I asked if they could extend my trial period just so I could run my payroll, also a no-go. Overall 10/10 would not recommend QBO.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

If you do not value your time please call them. They will have you on hold to talk to someone for 15 minutes first. Then once you speak to someone you will quickly realize they have not the slightest grasp of how their software works or any notion of how accounting works. They single-handedly led me to ruin my full years accounting with a phone call to support for a simple question regarding reconciliation. This software is very helpful for small businesses when used in conjunction with a knowledgeable accountant. Under no circumstances call their support line for help or anything for that matter.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

This is supposed to be easy, I guess. But it is horrible software. Cannot produce a year to date GL with indication of cleared transactions. Is glitchy. And it is not due to internet slowness because my internet connection is the best.

Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I've used QuickBooks Desktop for many years with no issues. I recommended it to my many other contacts. When my accountant suggested I switch to the Online version, I resisted at first but she insisted it would be great. This is the worst decision I've made and I think I will need to fire my accountant if she thinks this program is so great. You can't see all the bills/invoices in one screen and where my bill pay process used to take about 10 minutes total it's now a 20 step hour long process!

Anytime you hit the back button it automatically resets you back to the start so you have to sort and click through the bills each time. You also can't see the full screen. Every other page on the internet has a scroll bar at the bottom but not QuickBooks. You will not be able to see the full register side to side in one screen unless you purchase a new monitor. I refuse to give in to the demands of QuickBooks Online to adjust how I have worked for years. I'm going back to desktop and firing my accountant.

QuickBooks Online Simple Start expert review by Shelley Elmblad

QuickBooks Online is developed by Intuit, a long time leader in accounting software for small- to mid-sized businesses and tax software. There’s a 30-day free trial with iOS, Android and Blackberry apps.

• How much does QuickBooks cost?: At $12.95 per month, the Simple Start version is a low-cost way to send invoices and have access to a good set of small business accounting features. If a business eventually needs more features, it’s easy to upgrade to higher versions of QuickBooks for $26.95 to $39.95 per month, and $39 per month for payroll services. To accept invoices, you need to use Intuit Merchant Services for $19.95 per month plus per transaction and other fees.

• Signing up: When you sign up for free trial, it’s strongly suggested you should add payroll service. Look for “continue without payroll” button if you’re not interested in that feature. An upgrade to a higher version for another $14 per month is required for recurring invoices.

• Grows with business: If your business grows, you can add the ability to manage and pay bills, have multiple people use QuickBooks Online simultaneously, manage payroll and add inventory management features.

• Easy to use: QuickBooks Online Simple Start is very easy to use with intuitive tabs and graphics and was designed for people who are new to online billing and invoicing and accounting in general.

• No limits: Send unlimited invoices and estimates.

• Best for: self employed, independent contractors and mobile professionals.

Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
      Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

QuickBooks Online Simple Start Company Information