Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.82/5

QuickBooks Online Simple Start’s intuitive tabs and graphics make it a good choice for people new to online billing, invoicing and accounting. This software is compatible with iOS and Android systems. Simple Start costs $40 a month, but discounts are available during sales. There is also a 30-day free trial.

QuickBooks Online Simple Start Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about QuickBooks Online Simple Start?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about QuickBooks Online Simple Start?

Original review: April 9, 2021

WORST CUSTOMER SUPPORT EVER. Signed up for QB Cash to "supposedly" get the money quicker and with less fees. They CAN'T even connect you to the SAME bank your QB is connected to for 3-5 days and thus HOLD YOUR MONEY HOSTAGE. You can't get it back out to send to your account until you receive the Debit Card and they can't cancel it without a 0-balance. They claim to "Support Small Businesses" yet this corporate giant does nothing to expedite and serve this clientele that has vendors to pay and business to do. Find a better Service provider that actually has your best interest in mind.

Original review: April 3, 2021

Can't perform simple tax functions needed. Like exempting certain employees or certain state taxes from the payroll system. It forces you to have to pay them. We are in Washington and do not have workman's comp. We have industrial insurance called L&I where half is paid by the employee and the other half by the employer. You can't set this up in the system as a liability or payroll item, there is nowhere to do this. I also needed to add some compensation that is not subject to taxation and it listed in box 14 of the W-2 but there is nowhere to add this compensation. If these things are actually possible to configure customer service does not know the answers and just keeps you in a waiting situation by telling you they are looking for the answer. I had to give up after waiting for 2 hours. I would avoid using Quickbooks Online and stick with the desktop versions where you can turn off and on certain functions and disable certain taxes.

Get buying tips about Business to Business Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 1, 2021

Keeping your books is nerve racking and QB has not helped this last year. I used to like them and now their system is glitchy. My main vendor disappeared from the system. If you are a small business there are much better options than QB that are easier to use, more stable, and less expensive. I paid for a yearly subscription and I've tried multiple ways to get a refund for 2021 payment. Is trying to get a refund at this point even worth it? Again, I used to like QB. Never again.

Original review: March 31, 2021

Stay away from QBO. They have just changed charges on bank payments from customers. It use to be free & take 7 days, but with lies via email they said next day would be free with their QuickBook Cash & Envelopes account. I signed on, it was a trojan horse. The deposits were free, but it turned into a nightmare with instant payments. Once a day was much easier for my bookkeeping & I have no problem waiting 7 days so went back to old way, but wait, no more old way. Now you have to have instant or next day deposits & all are charged 1%. I have over $30k a month using QBO payment method so my QBO plan just went from about $500 per year to over $4100 a year.

To make matters worse is their training in their customer service department. I have been on the phone with them at least a dozen times since this happened. They have been from absolutely clueless at first and giving misinformation (a.k.a. Lies) on this situation to obviously only answering questions asked without giving information freely to keep their clients in a state of confusion since this started in February. I will also get varying answers to the same questions and when asked for a supervisor, was told none available or one would call me back, which never happened. 2 days ago I talked to Bobby, who told me that if I redirected my deposits back to the QuickBook Cash & Envelops account I would no longer be charged. So I went back & I am still being charged.

Today I talked to Haley in customer service. She told me that I & all other QBO users would be charged from now on 1% on all future customer bank payments and there was nothing I could do about it & would not give me to a supervisor. For those stuck & with no choice to use this POS company's bookkeeping app, know that there are some apps that can be linked with QBO that do not charge this fee, which I will be using until I find another bookkeeping app to use other than QBO.

Original review: March 5, 2021

The customer support is automated and hard to get a live agent. They charged my account without warning. I have tried numerous times to contact by phone, through the app with no help and no call back after requesting multiple times. I used to love the app but no more. I will be shopping for a new platform and will be changing merchant services asap. Avoid like the PLAGUE.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2021

Even though there is a 30 days free trial link, QuickBooks will charge you on the next day. And even if you call them 300 times and spend 500 hours on the phone, you are not getting your money back. Don’t click on the free trial link, QuickBooks is making profit on top of innocent people that believe they are actually giving a free trial. Try another system. Their customer service is terrible! In summary my experience was frustrating...

Original review: Feb. 9, 2021

Quickbooks is THE WORST. Their product is not user friendly and their customer service is the worst, they take FOREVER asking you questions that are not at all relevant and you end up wasting so much time. Do not waste your money.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2021

Used to be able to call directly for support, now you have to go to online chat where they do not understand the question asked, when they believe they do you are directed elsewhere and there is no clear indication where elsewhere is. I spent over 1.5 hours attempting to get help and finally spoke to a live person, only to be told that she could not help me edit the product/service being charged tax because she was not trained. I was not going to start the whole process over with a new chat, then attempt to find a live agent. QBO is expensive and without direct access to a live support person the cost of using this software rises rapidly.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

I've had Quickbooks Online with payroll for several years now. It started out good - if you had a problem you could get someone fast on the phone that was knowledgeable and fix it. Now you can't get anyone - I'm having a problem with my 1099s (which I have a subscription for) - when you do the online chat, they reroute you somewhere that sends you back to the original place (twice). Then when I requested a call back - they called back but couldn't help me because they were in Canada (I'm in the US). They gave me a number to call, where there is no one to help. Awful customer service!!!!

Original review: Dec. 22, 2020

This company does not back their product in any way. We had their services for years and all is fine until there is an error, no support. We recently decided to use their payroll services and that's when I couldn't keep quiet any longer. We set up the payroll service through them and after a week the service was cancelled, we didn't cancel it and they said they didn't. After 8 hours on the phone they still can't explain why it was canceled and what has to be done to correct the cancellation. Their condescending attitude doesn't help either. I don't understand how they stay in business, overall one of the worst companies to deal with ever. We are absolutely done with them.

QuickBooks Online Simple Start author review by Shelley Elmblad

QuickBooks Online is developed by Intuit, a long time leader in accounting software for small- to mid-sized businesses and tax software. There’s a 30-day free trial with iOS, Android and Blackberry apps.

• How much does QuickBooks cost?: At $12.95 per month, the Simple Start version is a low-cost way to send invoices and have access to a good set of small business accounting features. If a business eventually needs more features, it’s easy to upgrade to higher versions of QuickBooks for $26.95 to $39.95 per month, and $39 per month for payroll services. To accept invoices, you need to use Intuit Merchant Services for $19.95 per month plus per transaction and other fees.

• Signing up: When you sign up for free trial, it’s strongly suggested you should add payroll service. Look for “continue without payroll” button if you’re not interested in that feature. An upgrade to a higher version for another $14 per month is required for recurring invoices.

• Grows with business: If your business grows, you can add the ability to manage and pay bills, have multiple people use QuickBooks Online simultaneously, manage payroll and add inventory management features.

• Easy to use: QuickBooks Online Simple Start is very easy to use with intuitive tabs and graphics and was designed for people who are new to online billing and invoicing and accounting in general.

• No limits: Send unlimited invoices and estimates.

by Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

QuickBooks Online Simple Start Company Information