1.06/5
  • 1 star
Based on 35 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution
Need an online billing service?
We'll match you with the right company that knows what you need.

QuickBooks Online Simple Start

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 3, 2017

38 QuickBooks Online Simple Start Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I found that QuickBooks Online has proven to be a subpar that missed the mark of both ease of use and comparable desktop capabilities. With that said, the continuous marketing of this system to the public is negligent at best on the companies part. I believe the company needs to turn its attention back to improving QuickBooks Desktop. Continuing to mislead customers is neither responsible nor sustainable, I would hope that the company would find its way soon.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

What is happening to QBO? There are many frustrating issues they are in complete denial of. Namely, very slow to load, blaming the customer. It's how the pages load that make it slow, not our internet service. Why does the invoice repeat the customer’s name every time you modify the receipt or invoice? You can't remove it without it re-appearing again. Whatever is happening with them, they are not being up front at all. Except when it's time to pay the bill. They know how to be straightforward about that. Very disappointing.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

I have used QB online for 10 months and it is a nightmare. Cannot even print a check with invoice payment information. Sign in is inconsistent. Cannot charge late fees automatically - only a manual event. This program brings you back to the stone ages.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

We signed up and the migration was horrific. There were invoices that were missing in the migration and when I advised QBO the answer I received was, "How do you know?" Are you kidding!!! There is no responsibility on their part. There is no way I will have CRA come after me for their mistakes. I also signed up for payroll however never worked from day 1 but they still charged me even after I have had several complaints about it. Their best solution was for me to do payroll manually until they could find the fix for it. I don't have that kind of time when you are controller for three companies. I'm very disappointed not only with the product but with their service also. They claim they call you but I'm generally not in the office at 2 am EST. Seriously think about this.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

It is nearly impossible to get a resolution in under 1 hour and making at least 3 - 4 calls. The calls are answered in the Philippines and while they are very nice they have no idea how to help you. It's so annoying. I'm looking for a different solution for my payroll.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about QuickBooks Online Simple Start?

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

We couldn't get client payment processed, called over 7 times, lots of transfers, convenient dropped calls, different explanations every time. Calls go to India, they can't provide reason why payment wasn't processed, can't disclose reason, another, info was entered incorrect, another, won't work with that brand of card reader (now won't work anymore), etc. Ask to be transfer to a supervisor, they dropped my call again.

Original review: July 31, 2017

Quickbooks online has got to be the worst. It's extremely difficult to navigate, but once you get that down, it is extremely time consuming to make adjustments for your client. It stops working all together it seems any time after 5. I hate hate hate QuickBooks Online and most likely will not accept any new client that uses the online version. If you delete a vendor, it's gone forever. If you have issues with AR/AP accounts, not possible to correct. If you need S Corp shareholder health insurance reported correctly on your W2s, forget it. If you need year to date info to run an estimate for quarterly tax payment, QuickBooks Online is as useless to find the necessary information. It's a nightmare. I plan to sell desktop version to any client using online or contemplating collecting same monthly fee that Intuit collects just because it waste so much of my time.

Original review: July 19, 2017

Don't rely on QuickBooks for your payroll. Unless you've got a VERY straightforward payroll (there are ALWAYS exceptions so beware!), there are many things missing or they're just unable to do it and seemingly shrug their shoulders or laugh... and the answer always is they'll put in a case for it. The vacation accrual is WRONG. They say it's calculated on HOURS (which it should NOT be), but THAT's not even correct because the vacation calculation should include (as per CRA) STAT hours but it does not. Also, if you have someone who should not pay tax, it's a MANUAL adjustment every time. WHATTT? Don't waste your time with QuickBooks Online. Just awful.

Original review: June 10, 2017

My company has been using QBO for at least five years. It was difficult at first to use a watered-down version of the desktop application, but all partners are in different parts of the country and we gave up function for accessibility. This has been the biggest mistake our company has ever made. Each update (forced upon you) is a nightmare as simple functionality dwindles with each one. For example: today I am prepping to pay my vendors for projects completed. I have five invoices to enter, 10 to double check for entry errors, and three to simply adjust due dates. This should have taken me about 20 minutes. Took me hours. I clicked on the vendor register, a tough thing to find as they have recently buried the vendor register more than three clicks away from where it used to be five days ago.

Once I get to the specific vendor record, there's no due date column, but then I didn't expect it to be there - THAT helpful information was removed about five updates ago. I click on the option to add the due date column to the register, something you have to do each time you click into a vendor register because the columns reset if you move to another vendor record (A myriad of more patient users have asked: Can this be fixed? The QBO experts poetically respond, and I quote: "Nope!").

Persisting, I tick the box to add the "due date" column. The column briefly appears, VERY narrow, but then is gone. I repeat and get the same. It bounces in and I see it, but it's gone in one second. Yes, you understand me: the OPTION to add the column is supposed to be there, but it just doesn't work. At first I thought it was a browser issue, but I discover the error occurs in each browser (And get used to the fact that no browser works consistently, so you will have to be in Edge to work in vendors - but move to Chrome for bank recs. Firefox works best to cut checks. Oh! and don't forget to clear your cache often!). Seriously, I have just been trying to edit or enter 17 invoices - that's it. This is merely an example of the greater dysfunction of this program. Can ANYONE recommend a different online accounting program?

Please - save yourself - do not under any circumstances use Quick Books Online. Buy the real desktop product if you must but you just cannot count on the online program to work consistently each time you log in.

Original review: June 6, 2017

I mistakenly signed up for a three year contract with QuickBooks payroll after using this for one week. I found out this was not a fit for us. Now QuickBooks will not let me cancel without paying a $199 early termination fee. No consideration given. Very disappointed in this company. They would rather make $200 than have a satisfied customer. Lousy customer service.

Original review: May 23, 2017

Please count me in for a class action! Their software is SO bad. Forget about being Quebec payroll compliant. It is not. You'll fight to get your numbers right. Making the payments is hell. Don't sync your bank account, it'll only pull weird transactions in your accounting. Forget about the payroll globally, the support clerk JUST told me and I quote "The Vacation Pay in QuickBooks Online is still under development and improvement. So that's why we suggest to track it manually and we can then enter the correct balances for you". Wait... I've been entering data for payroll for a year in this and it is not ready to deal with my numbers? Wah, the money I pay every month is NOT in development. It is REAL money! And the time I put in to enter my info is not in development either! It is REAL time!

Seriously, you can't manage the data the way you want. Some transactions can't be deleted or reversed. Don't get me started on reports. My dear lord, reports are carved in stone and dug in crypts. So much data is missing from them. Really, the interface is looking great, the images they make of their software is amazing, you look at all this and you drool... But this is only siren call.... Don't listen to the song, don't get caught, don't enter the lagoon! Go back to Excel or hardcover journals... You'll feel better in the long run. I am so unhappy, deceived. I can't even export my data from there... They only export to Excel in flat format... Unusable.

Original review: May 17, 2017

I am reading the multiple reviews of this product and have experienced the same thing. I have been using QuickBooks online for six months... It was working fine up until April when my bank changed their web address. I contacted QuickBooks to go through the address change with me so that the transition would be seamless... Needless to say... Countless hours and NINE tech reps and multiple case and escalation numbers... The bank account is still not communicating and transactions are duplicated... And then in the process of trying to fix that issue, a new problems has been created with the reconciliation of my AMX. Both accounts are hopelessly screwed up and no hope for a profit/loss sheet right now.

What really tipped me over was after exhibiting much patience through this whole process and after the 8th call with a different tech I asked for a supervisor, which I did get. She was hopelessly condescending, could not care less... And took no accountability. She claimed she was unable to give me a direct line to reach her to talk to her directly as I tried to process through their "Next solution". She was not even willing to send me an email from her address detailing instructions so I would have it in writing... I did receive a generic email address with instructions that I have not tried yet and to be honest am scared to do so for fear it will make things even worse (If that is possible). I will be researching other vendors in hopes that they are compatible with my POS so that I can drop this company.

Original review: May 15, 2017

There is no backup for QuickBooks Online. They say they are backing up your data but what good is that if they can't restore your backup. Seriously - they can't restore your information from a backup. Any good systems person knows that users make mistakes and you need to be able to restore from your backup systems especially if you are going to be making any major changes or updates to your data. Also, the support of the online system is woefully inadequate. The helpdesk people consistently will tell you to delete transactions to solve problems. We were told for nearly every import problem we had to delete transactions. That is not how you solve a problem. And it can highly compromise your data! STAY FAR AWAY from QuickBooks Online. Purchased via TechSoup.

Original review: May 12, 2017

Actually, I really like QB online... however, it is still a real headache. The concept is great, however, the implementation as of this date ain't so great. I have had numerous double entries of deposits and wild categorizing of expenses so that reports are less than meaningful. My general experience as a "bookkeeper" is slim, so I always thought it was me. I stumbled on this site trying to find out if I was the only one with problems. Customer support has improved 100%, but now and then I do get an agent that knows less than I do.

Original review: May 8, 2017

I read all the reviews but decided to go ahead anyway. As QuickBooks Pro desktop user, I thought going online would be practical for my type of business. I spent 3 weeks with technical support (the team in India was good) to set up my business properly. Today, someone at IT support (Canada) pressed the reset button on my file to initiate payroll, erasing 3 weeks of work with no backup! I am at a loss for words.

Original review: April 13, 2017

I am a QuickBooks ProAdvisor and, unfortunately, am advising against this program. My clients have wasted thousands of dollars paying me to fix problems with this program. The worst is the bank link to QuickBooks which causes many many problems. I just hung up with tech support wasting 2 hours of my time which I have to charge the client and again no solution. I have used QuickBooks desktop PC version and highly recommend it. But the online program is a joke. Save yourself many headaches to come by NOT purchasing this product.

Original review: March 24, 2017

I never care to write reviews but Quickbooks Online has to be one of the worst products I've had the unfortunate luck of purchasing. It has so many bugs, that it's unbelievable that Intuit released the software to the public. If it was my company, I would be embarrassed and the person in charged of the release would have been fired. Stick to the Desktop version, or you will end up regretting you wasted your time transferring data to the Online version. Trying to export your Data back to the desktop version is also a horrible experience. Although the products is terrible, their customer service is above average. They do try to resolve your issues, although at the moment they have too many of them to fix.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2017

I have a horrible experience with this product. I keep sending feedback about the product. The issues are not resolved. The biggest problem with Quickbooks online is DUPLICATION of transactions. I found duplicated invoices. Can you imagine Profit and Loss report? Not mentioning HST report? Or income tax? This product should be banned because of that.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2017

Small business owner with 9 employees. I am constantly traveling, so I thought I would make the switch from QB Desktop to Online a year ago. I'll spare you the myriad of details, but after a complete year, we are still operating mostly from Desktop and duplicating all of our transactions from Online. Words can not describe the frustration: hours waiting over the phone (to re-explain to a different "Team Member") to eventually get conflicting information from complete imbeciles, the money lost, angry/frustrated clients, late payroll payments from another unexpected surprise from QBO... Do NOT waste your valuable time, risk your revenue, and strain your relationships with your clients. These folks should be severely whipped for their incompetence!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2017

QuickBooks online does not properly sync with Square. QuickBooks and Square both advertise each others "amazing" abilities to sync and make your life easier. Quite contrary it has been a nightmare and QuickBooks representatives quickly leave you hanging when you ask for help. They bounce you around, explain they are not accountants and put you on hold for countless hours. I had to tell them to look at their community forums for the countless complaints. What's most troubling is the customer service at QuickBooks they have no idea whats going on and want nothing to do with you once they do not even understand it. I have been hung up on by a rep that made me delete all of my 2016 banking transactions and could not get them back up. I call again, get someone that just blames it on Square, gives me no help but a sorry.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2016

As I write this I am 6 months into running my Thai massage business. I honestly don't know if I will ever be able to get my books straight. I have spent 200 hours trying to match my 1500 credit card massages with the deposits that Flagship Merchant Services throws into our bank account. The process is tedious for sure but the disappearance of transactions (verified in dozens of screen shares with QBO support) probably will make it all for naught. By way of background, I am completely new to running a small business and taking credit cards. I wanted to have a scheduling software/accounting interface that made the process efficient. Acuity Scheduling/QBO/Authorized.net seemed to be the fit according my web developer. So off I went.

I have been a Quicken user for over 20 years and find it an indispensable tool for my personal finances. I naturally assumed that Intuit would bring the same user friendliness to the small business arena. NOT SO!!! The cloud computing madness was pushed on me by Intuit. The major problem with their version is that when you make wholesale changes to big portions of your data you cannot do what every TS person has told us to do before undertaking a big project. Back up your data so that if things go sideways you can restore to where you started. You cannot protect yourself, and, boy, do you need to.

After reading Quickbooks for Dummies, I was a bit surprised that it is half written for accountants, whom one would think would not be in the dummy category. But it did give me the idea to hire for $300 for one hour one their accountant partners. I got Sharon ** of Redmond Accounting. After telling her I knew nothing about accounting or the software, she made sure I knew less about the software and accounting when my wallet was lightened.

So I dutifully entered all my expenses and categorized them. The part about matching the credit card transactions (by default in QBO put into Undeposited Funds) totally escaped me. I added all my Flagship deposits into my bank account, blissfully ignorant. Somehow I became aware that I needed to make sure Flagship Merchant Services was doing their job. So I called QBO who told me about matching. The person at QBO, though, said all my charges had to be moved to my bank account from Undeposited Funds. When I asked how to highlight the whole of them and move them, I was told they had to be moved one at a time. So I spent one day moving each massage and tip to the bank account.

When I noticed that my bank balance essentially doubled (minus the per transaction fee to Flagship; I have since changed to monthly fee taking, something Flagship never gave me a heads up about until 4 months into the business's start), I called QBO. I was told that I should have left the charges in Undeposited Funds and matched them to the deposits in my bank account. Guess what? Another day of moving transactions one at at time back to Undeposited Funds.

I asked for a supervisor at QBO to call me and explain why I was getting conflicting TS. I waited hours for the call they setup and it never happened. So I began matching deposits to massages from a reconciled bank account. It has been the nightmare of nightmares. I am 200 hours into three months and still not close. I think only a lawsuit will get the attention of QBO. But the last TS gave me the super secret email that will get to the "Broken Arrow" department. We shall see.

Obviously, my lack of knowledge is part of the problem. But I have tried hard to get it right. The transactions don't seem to refresh properly and seem to have disappeared. A TS guy yesterday said that we should be seeing them but weren't. Please do yourself a favor and do your books by hand. Paying $30 a month for hell is not the way to go.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2016

I sent out 200+ invoices early this morning. However, Quickbooks Payments processing center is down and none of my clients can pay their invoice. They all get a message back saying that my company isn't accepting payment at this time. This is just so unacceptable. I need this money to cover payroll and our bills. Their website just leaves a general note that says the site is down and they are trying to fix it. It's been hours and I'm starting to get worried. I'm going to find a new company to process my invoices and credit card payments. I'm a small business and can't float thousands of dollars while they get their act together. This isn't the first time this has happened. I blew off the first time thinking what are the odds of THAT happening again... and it did. GO SOMEWHERE ELSE.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2016

Worst customer service I have ever dealt with. LIES AFTER LIES AFTER LIES! Be careful when purchasing! It is a shame. The software is not bad but the customer service which you will have to deal with is horrible and can't be trusted. I have a desktop version and when I switched to a trial period of QB clouds they told me it would NOT be a problem to import the clouds file that I have been working back to my desktop version. When I decided I did not want Cloud the same person then said it is not compatible and I have to purchase the desktop 2016 version when ABSOLUTELY NOTHING was wrong with my 2013 version. When I told him to go back to listen to the recording so that he can listen to his lies he said "that is not necessary." THEY ARE HERE TO STEAL. THIS CANNOT BE LEGAL!!! I have NEVER NEVER NEVER dealt with a company sneakier and full of more lies than QuickBooks!!

Original review: May 31, 2016

I have been using QB 2016 online version. They were after me to accept online payment of my invoices. Finally I agreed and started to use. After 3rd invoice paid 6500 dollars invoice was paid online by client but QB held the funds for "unusual activity". First I had thought that there was a fraudulent charge. Later I learned that QB needed all my business documents including bank statements, all invoices, business licenses, etc.

It would have taken me 2 weeks and an expensive CPA to get all these documents in order. I expected them to credit the amount back to my client so I can get paid by a check as he always did for last 10 years. Of course not. QB held on to money for almost three weeks while my client is out of money. I could not expect him to pay me again. I am still out of money. No QB cares. Garbage department. Calls and I am out of money. I just paid 2000 for a lawyer to litigate my case. So in short I would not recommend this to my worst competition. NO QUICKBOOKS FOR ANYONE WHO HAS ANY SENSE OF BUSINESS. YOU WILL LOSE.

Original review: May 2, 2016
    After 18 years using QB for my 3 small companies (and loving it) I hired a bookkeeper and "upgraded" to QBO (online). WHAT A MISTAKE!!! There is absolutely no resemblance between the 2. One is made for everyone and the other for I don't know who. You better know accounting systems to try to master this clump of c**p. After 3 days with Intuit "customer service" finally go uploaded all of QB 2012. 1/2 of it was not accurate and took very smart bookkeeper 2 days to untangle.

This is the most unfriendly software you could imagine. No chat room for help and 45-90 minute wait for customer service.

Original review: April 26, 2016

I have used TurboTax for many years to file my taxes. This year when I filed my taxes, I was charged $4.99 for QuickBooks. I have no idea why. I have never used QuickBooks and never will. I researched why this happened and apparently it was a scam to get self-employed TurboTax payers to subscribe at $4.99 per month. I followed the instructions to cancel and was still charged the $4.99. Now I have been on the phone with QuickBooks to get a refund for the $4.99. I have been on the phone with them for over 1/2 hour and still counting. They are so unorganized and unethical. They say it is taking 30 minutes to locate my account. I am not on hold and I have my confirmation number so why is it taking so long? This seems to be quite the scam. They make it so difficult to cancel so the customer gives up. Multiple $4.99 times millions of customers and they are making quite a profit.

Original review: March 22, 2016

I just purchased QB Mac 2016. What were they thinking when they changed GO FIND to some two-sided flip file that gives you WAY too much information? I spent 7, yes 7 hours on the help line with QB last week. A good thing I had purchased a support package. PLEASE bring back the old method, I can't begin to reconcile my banking ledger with the new, improved flip file. Also, my mouse doesn't work with the banking ledger. It works fine with other parts of the program. I feel like I am going crazy! I have used QB since it came out and this is the worst software update to date.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2016

BUYERS BEWARE!! I bought QB Pro 2014 and used it for a little over one year. After having QB walk me thru a transfer of the software from my old laptop to my new one, the software began to lose transactions that should have been imported from my bank. After calling QB tech support, I was offered a fix for $400!! After declining the fix and deciding to manually key in my missing info, the problem increased, losing even more data. I called tech support again. I was again offered a horrible solution of having my software fixed for hundreds of dollars. The tech told me that I should have updated my software regularly.

When I confirmed that I HAD done that, he said that I should have upgraded it then. The tech told me that since I did not upgrade annually, I was not living in the 21st century (outstanding customer service by the way). The tech then said that my problem was due to antivirus software that was recently installed. The tech said that had I called sooner, they could have fixed it quickly and for free since it was a smaller issue. After proving that I HAD in fact called when the problem first began (which was also before the anti virus software was installed so that was a line of garbage) the tech resorted to telling me that I either had to pay hundreds of dollars to restore and encrypt my data or I would just lose all of my data.

This is software that thousands of businesses rely on to store crucial data every day. If QB software can so easily be corrupted and fail, why would anyone trust it?? Furthermore, if it was true that anti virus software could increase potential problems with QB, why would QB not automatically encrypt its software knowing that thousands of businesses also employ anti virus software?? It is not a new scenario to have both QB and AV software on a PC. Who is the one not living in the 21st century? I WILL NEVER OWN QB SOFTWARE FOR ANY OF MY COMPANIES EVER AGAIN.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2015

My online version quit uploading my bank transactions. I own online PLUS and support is nonexistent. They purposely put glitches in their program and then charge you extra to fix them. When I complained about this "extra" charge, the supervisor "Mark" hung up the phone on me. When I called back he stated that QuickBooks sells the software and then you own it and must PAY for support. He then told me not to call back and hung up again. This is a horrible business model, but it makes money for them as they have us over a barrel. Stay away them.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2015

I've been using Quickbooks for over 20 years. About two years I switched from the desktop version to the Quickbooks Online version. Not happy. The reporting capabilities are nowhere near the desktop version. Customer service is highly untrained -- if you don't mind waiting 30 minutes. And course their pricing is significantly more than all the other players -- which they will continue to raise since Intuit currently controls the market. My #1 goal for 2016 is to switch to a new player. From reading, there are many great lower price options for online accounting.

QuickBooks Online Simple Start expert review by Shelley Elmblad

QuickBooks Online is developed by Intuit, a long time leader in accounting software for small- to mid-sized businesses and tax software.  At $12.95 per month, the Simple Start version is a low cost way to send invoices and have access to a good set of small business accounting features. If a business eventually needs more features, it’s easy to upgrade to higher versions of QuickBooks for  $26.95 to $39.95 per month, and $39 per month for payroll services. There’s a 30-day free trial with iOS, Android and Blackberry apps.

• No limits: Send unlimited invoices and estimates.
    • Easy to use: QuickBooks Online Simple Start is very easy to use with intuitive tabs and graphics and was designed for people who are new to online billing and invoicing and accounting in general.
    • Grows with business: If your business grows, you can add the ability to manage and pay bills, have multiple people use QuickBooks Online simultaneously, manage payroll and add inventory management features.
    • Gateway: To accept invoices, you need to use Intuit Merchant Services for $19.95 per month plus per transaction and other fees.
    • Signing up: When you sign up for free trial, it’s strongly suggested you should add payroll service. Look for “continue without payroll” button if you’re not interested in that feature. An upgrade to a higher version for another $14 per month is required for recurring invoices.
    • Best for: Self Employed, independent contractors and mobile professionals.
    Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
    Shelley Elmblad

Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

QuickBooks Online Simple Start Company Information