1.02/5
Based on 31 ratings submitted in the last yearSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need an online billing service?

65 QuickBooks Online Simple Start Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I have been using QBO for 4 plus years. I am officially sick of it! So glad to have found this site and see that I am not the only one having issues. I have been on the phone with customer service no less than 30 times over the last six months. I can't even tell how poor their service has been. Occasionally I'll get someone who actually knows how to "fix" an issue, but mostly it's a lot of hold time and let me go talk to someone who actually knows what to do.

Recently (this started 2 weeks ago!!!) I called because I was unable to send my clients a statement showing progress payments as I have been doing since I started with QBO. Out of the blue I was receiving error codes. Error codes for something I've been doing years, almost daily. I called... again. I was told they are aware of the issue and would have a resolution soon. A few of my clients have asked what is up with the statements being sent now. I have to explain that it's a QB issue. It's actually embarrassing to me to send out the statements... when I'm even able to? Fast forward to today. Same issue, another call.

Customer agent acknowledges there's an issue. Puts me on hold for 10 plus minutes only to come back and tell me he's sorry, but there is no solution at this time. He took my phone # and told me he would call me when it is resolved. My response: "I'm a betting man and I'll bet you $20 right now I never hear from you." He did not take that bet and I requested he also send me email confirmation of this issue. He said he would. I have yet to receive that email, but it has only been 10 minutes.

Immediately after that call I searched Quickbooks online reviews. I was blown away to see 4 and 5 stars all over. But, that's what big money can buy. Scrolled down further and found this legit site. I'm pretty sure these are all 1 star reviews. And I'm certain would be zero if that was an option. I am about to venture into a new business. Do you know what accounting/bookkeeping software I'M NOT USING - YUP QUICKBOOKS ONLINE. I'm so vested in it with my present company that I don't know if I can stop. Will be looking into other solutions and hope to just pull the plug and start fresh.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I have used QuickBooks desktop for over 20 years. I needed to have others to be able to connect to my account. This has been a disaster!! It is the most cumbersome online system I have ever used. If you have a way not to use don't.

Get expert buying tips about Online Billing and Invoicing Software delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 9, 2018

I have used Quickbooks Desktop since 2005 as a general contractor. In 2016 I switched to Quickbooks Online so my bookkeeper could work from home. What a disaster. In their attempt to create a product for all their clients, they left out much of their programming for contractors and several other businesses. I could not do progressive billing to my clients. It was a nightmare trying to keep track of balances. I then tried to switch back to desktop. I could not do so without upgrading to 2018 since they removed my banking. So I paid the money. Now my email isn't working out of the blue. It says to change the password. No help in doing this. I called technical support. If I want an answer, I would need to pay a one time fee of $65. They sent an email that would be "easy" to solve my problem. It was easy, but didn't solve the problem.

I have been dealing with issue after issue with this software, even contacting the president. All I hear is they are working on resolving issues. They aren't. I would like a company that I can call or even chat to get an issue resolved. I don't want to spend hours working around a software issue while shelling out money for the product. My option is to again switch to a totally different product. This company is seasoned enough to know how to improve its product without all of these problems that go on for years.

Original review: July 3, 2018

QuickBooks switched to subscription based software, if you don't pay the ridiculous amount of fees and annual increases of subscription fees, you'll be locked out and unable to access your company files until you pay the $4,000 - $5,000 subscription fee. They may offer low introductory pricing only to raise it 300% next year. Beware, they'll hold your finances hostage, better known as ransomware. Let's not even start with customer support and downtime.

Original review: June 26, 2018

This program is one of the worst if not worst programs I have ever had to deal with!!! it feels like they went back 30 years in technology. Nothing is easy about this program!! Everything is additional steps compared to the desktop. Difficult to maneuver around it. Cannot have more than 1 window at a time. Shortcut keystrokes are minimal and more complicated than desktop. Cannot unreconcile a bank statement with a click on a button. You have to unclear each transaction one at a time. Reconciliations are more difficult. Downloads from the bank are more complicated and confusing. Difficult to make changes. Service is awful. I can go on and on.

Quickbooks is pushing this as they charge a monthly fee where when you buy the desktop version is a flat fee and you do not need to upgrade for 3 years. Huge money maker for them as they charge a monthly fee where the desktop version is good for 3 years. Quickbooks Premier is an excellent program considering the cost of it. I would rather use Peachtree than the online version any day!!! Wish I could give this negative stars!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about QuickBooks Online Simple Start?

Original review: June 21, 2018

As a small business, I have three bank accounts. Because QB no longer makes QB for Mac, I must use QB online. What a joke. The system is not user friendly. You cannot write multiple checks and print multiple checks, you must write one at a time and print one at a time. It's like QB online added 6 new steps to what use to be a simple two-step process and fairly intuitive. Now you need a PhD in rocket science. Their customer service people are poorly trained -- oh, except the people taking your money, then they are really on top of it. I hate the system. Don't get it! I'd rather do it all by hand the way I did in the cavewoman days. Really NOT User Friendly. Way too complicated. Too many bells and bling but no good functionality! QB online, in short, sucks big time. Don't waste your money or your energy if you're a small business!

Original review: June 19, 2018

After a year of maintaining our books via QBO my final verdict is NO! Don't do it. QBO might be good for Intuit but that doesn't make it good for their customers, particularly if you're a small business. Two main reasons: (a) Functionality. The desktop version is just better. It's easier to navigate. There are more functions at your fingertips. I don't do my bookkeeping on my Android device after hours and neither does our bookkeeper so I don't care if I can or not. What I do care about is that it not take me 45 minutes to figure out the new way of adding vendors or setting up payroll.

(b) Data security. Having your own data stored on your own servers: priceless. Say your small business runs into a cashflow issue during the slow months and for two months isn't able to keep up with all the bills and has to triage them and inadvertently your QBO payment gets put in the wrong pile... Or say this happens to your friend's business. How much would you (or your friend) appreciate it if Intuit held your data hostage and refused to help you access ANY of it even so that you could make your quarterly tax filing on time? I bet you would appreciate it NOT AT ALL just like me, or I mean just like my friend.

As soon as Quickbooks gives us access to OUR data again, we will cancel our QBO subscription entirely and transfer all our books to a previously paid for and wholly owned desktop version of QuickBooks and the next time we spend money on bookkeeping software, I promise you that Intuit will not get a dime of that money. Hey Intuit: Scroo U!

Original review: June 14, 2018

QuickBooks has one of the worst customer service I have ever received. When I needed help with payroll I called and they told me I would have to pay a one time fee of $89 before anyone would help me and I already subscribed to the full-service payroll. I constantly had to make the same changes because the changes never saved like they were supposed to. It automatically ran payroll and overdrafted my account. And when I tried to unsubscribe from QuickBooks it would not let me, I ended up having to email them and let them know that I am trying to cancel it.

Original review: May 22, 2018

For over 2 months I've been on multiple cases that are supposed to be fixing the issue with several banks that I have that are stating they are importing my transactions, but nothing is importing automatically. The system says it's working and it's not. I have to manually import several banks (Chase, Amex, Capital One, UFCU, Discover, BofA) with several accounts to be able to both reconcile and categorize. I'm very frustrating that after 2 months, nothing has worked and now I'm being told that I've not been added to these 'ongoing investigations' with their engineers. I'm about ready to find another service and start all over.

Original review: April 29, 2018

Just wanted to say THANK YOU!! To all of you who have written comments... sadly I've just found this site, (page 12 of my browser) and so so so wish I had found it months ago, BEFORE I talked my friend and first client into switching from Desktop to Online. Mistakenly, I only skimmed the "benefits" of Online QB, seeing that it met the requirements that I've used for over 10 years in the Desktop versions of 2008 to Enterprise. Can I just say OMG! QB Online is horrible. Knowing what to expect from the other versions, I just thought the online was going to be the same as desktop just with different wrapping paper. NOT. Every module, has some major things missing. There are so many things the other QB versions have that I love, but only one, that QB Online has that is actually of value.

You guessed it, the ability to share data remotely. I'm fairly certain that no bookkeeper has ever reviewed this product for practical use. It's a bookkeeping nightmare. The list is endless. So in short. Maybe QB should read the reviews real people who've used the product and FIX your product ASAP! So, to all you peeps thinking about changing from any version of QB, even if they don't support it anymore or add updates to your version. You're still better off using what you have, than switching. Don't!! I repeat, DON'T use QB Online!!

1st you'll be frustrated, then you'll think you're stupid and doing it wrong. It's so un-user friendly, you'll just get pissed off, realizing that you wasted the equivalent of a week's vacation, figuring out how to cram an elephant in to a carry-on bag, only to realize that... (spoiler alert) you can't. So if you found this site, Congratulations! But more importantly, take the advice of the people in these posts. They know what they're talking about. Please don't waste time, energy or money on QB online, life's too short.

Original review: April 23, 2018

I called to question a yearly charge on my account from QuickBooks payroll. I was aware that they charge a monthly fee, however, I was unaware that they also charge a yearly subscription fee of 450.00. This all in addition to buying the initial program. Now, it is time to upgrade, and after paying 450.00 in January, I have to pay once again. I was transferred 3 times, and finally got a person who somewhat explained why I was charged. However, they could not help me choose what to do next as far as upgrading. To make this experience more frustrating, the person's accent made it pretty much impossible to understand. I am so irritated after this experience. Fed up with talking to computers and people I cannot understand.

Original review: April 2, 2018

QB uploaded historical information and there was a problem with the information that was uploaded. When we tried to resolve it with them (As we could not make an adjustment to the historical information) they kept making incorrect entry after incorrect entry. This went on for three days. After this, we asked them to reverse everything that they had done and that we would just make offline adjustments as at least the base information made sense. After all their adjustments, the numbers no longer made any sense at all. Their solution at this time was, "No we can't do that, can you send us in a spreadsheet". DO NOT GET THE ONLINE version. They control it too much and when they mess it up there is no accountability!

Original review: March 23, 2018

After hours on the phone to resolve a problem with their system, the problem was not fixed. Their solution was for me to call back later and get a different rep to help. When I asked for a more experienced person, they said they can't transfer, I have to just call in. The problem is one has a problem plan on hours to resolve it, and as in my case it may not be resolved. They are very quick to collect on the 5 accounts I have with them and to raise prices.

Original review: March 16, 2018

I have been trying to use QBO for almost 2 months and it has been nothing but a disaster. I have been on the phone several times with support people and I'm there for HOURS. All support people have accents and sometimes I have known more than they did. We consider this move to online one of the biggest mistakes we ever made and are today trying to move everything back to the desktop. I've already been on the phone with a tech remoted in for 1 hour and 20 min and we are no closer than we were at the beginning of the phone call. I fear I'll have to re-create every entry that I've made rather than try to migrate the data back to the desktop version. I would never recommend this version to anyone with more than one employee and nothing but the simplest of required bookkeeping.

Original review: March 2, 2018

They have messed up my payroll withholding taxes. I wanted to cancel my subscription and requested a refund. They said they cannot and will not do so. I now have to contact the IRS and IN Dept of Revenue to straighten out my taxes that QuickBooks messed up. They had me on the phone 2hrs 33mins 17seconds to still get them wrong. I'm currently on the phone over 30 mins trying to cancel my subscription.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

So, QB Online did an update that toasted our saved CC info for our clients. Contacted QB Customer Support and their solution was to have our bookkeeper pull up our manual files and re-enter the correct CC info for all of our clients. When I asked if QB was going to reimburse for this, total silence. Beware!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

If you think QB Online is like QB Desktop, you've got a ugly surprise! It is very user UNfriendly. I've used QB Desktop for almost 20 years and I have a hard time figuring out how to navigate. Can't print reports that I'm used to from Desktop, can't print a W-3 (?), have to export some reports to Excel to print. Ugh, the list goes on and on. I work for a CPA and thankfully only one client uses Online. I would never recommend it!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

Can't trust my books - Transaction in the bank are register in duplicate. There is no documentation given really. You have to search yourself on Youtube and listen to them and hopefully they will answer your questions. The client service is long, slow and not very experience. On top of that, they don't know much about accounting. Good luck and be patient.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

Multiple issues. Most recently while trying to prepare 1099 forms the report failed to pick up multiple transactions and report totals completely different from detail provided. Had to spend three days researching and combining multiple reports to get correct data. According to support they were aware of the problem but could not fix it. Today trying to use authorize.net to sync transactions. Failure on QB end to process. According to telephone support hold time would be a minimum of 17 minutes. Constantly have failures that support has no clue how to fix.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

I've been using QBO for 2 years now after using desktop versions for 18 years. Seems the last 8 months are not reporting income on the profit and loss reports. I've tried to add income account from several places like from invoice, chart of accounts and product and services and update just one invoice to see if it will now report income, not!

Strangely, if I put the income in the parent income account in invoices, it shows up on P & L and lose it again after I create a sub income account, no different from the others in the past. In the Sales by Customer Summary reports, it shows all clients amounts that have been paid but does not reflect in P & L. Strange. Why? I called QB support, on hold for 40 mins, got hung up while I was explaining my issues. Did they not want to hear it? Paying $15.00 monthly for simple online is pretty expensive considering I've spent tens of hours trying to figure this issue out. I've tried to research for the better alternative but don't know where to start.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

For anyone making a decision about going to QuickBooks Online (QBO), don't do it. Their reports are not accurate, the number and user-friendliness of the reports is VERY limited, there are times that their server is down, you can only have one QBO window open at a time, their support response to difficult issues is "QBO doesn't offer that", support hold times are hours not minutes. Since there are times their server is down and your data is NOT your data; it is their data; it resides on their server, not on your computer, you are dead in the water when their server is down. You will pay more and receive less than if you purchase the Desktop version and upgrade every 3 or 4 years. AND the data resides on your computer. You are not at the mercy of their server.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I tried to purchase the online version as opposed to going to the local office supply store and paying $200++. Their system could not send me a confirmation email and without the confirmation email I could not set up my account. When I drew the company's attention to the matter they could not help me. When I asked for the order, that I had just placed, to be canceled they said that they could not cancel my order and they told me that I had to call customer service. So I called customer service and the hold time was 90 minutes long. This company's online purchasing option needs to be shut down. It is a total rip off.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

We wanted to create an account with QuickBooks essential. They wanted us to call back with a case number. I wanted to call and find out which information we have to make ready before calling them as a company owner is too busy. I waited on the phone 30 minutes. Then they didn't give any info and wanted us to call back. We called back and waited another 36 minutes. It was a conference call and lady said she needed to talk to the owner privately. It was a conference call and of course, the call ended without help. I called back again and waited 15 minutes without an answer. Finally, I decided to cancel our subscription. I wonder what we will face every time we need to call customer service once we set up everything? Better to have easier company. PS: They even don't have "We will call you back" option. Make wait you more than 1 hr.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

I called customer service and the woman was very friendly but would not offer any discount whatsoever even when I mentioned the 50% off stated. She said there are no discounts offered for repeat customers. I am the most upset with a company I have ever been. I will be moving my service over to a company who cares about their loyal customers. I was so happy with QB Online but will now give it the 1-star rating it deserves for raising my annual rate from $199 to $240 to $375.00 in one year. That is a 60% increase per month and you should be ashamed of treating your customers this way.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

Quickbooks Online (QBO) is great in theory, but the practice is another story. I’ve been a QuickBooks Online customer for four months now, and QuickBooks has been down for two of those months. If the software functioned properly, I would not have to spend much time going through my transactions. As it is, I spend over 20 hours a week fighting QuickBooks. Currently, you cannot match bank transactions to bills. The entire function of accounts payable is down. QuickBooks is completely useless, and on top of that a waste of your time. I might as well not have touched QuickBooks at all because I’m right back where I started. You have to spend over an hour on hold waiting for customer service to answer your call. When they finally do answer, they acknowledge the issue, apologize, then say that they don’t know when it will be fixed, but there’s nothing to do but wait until they fix it.

I am a couple hundred dollars poorer and a couple of months behind because of QuickBooks. I’m a veteran user of the desktop version of QuickBooks, but Intuit should separate themselves from this ** show. Worst product and customer service. I wouldn’t go back to the desktop version now because of how I was treated at QuickBooks online. I have talked to dozens of people who have given up on QuickBooks, and I’m one of them now. I plan on telling everyone who will listen to me that QuickBooks online is a huge waste of time and money. If they can’t get the basics to function, I’m guessing that their security is also subpar. SAVE YOURSELF!! Go with any other accounting software. Intuit has gotten so big that it doesn’t care that they’ve become terrible.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

We've been using the Online version for 1.5 years, with no problems and actually liked the ease of use. Then suddenly a message appeared that our company will be deleted Dec 2018. After numerous unsuccessful conversations with your company, the issue still isn't fixed and we can not access our information - bills, invoices, payroll, NOTHING! We have been told it could take up to 30 days to figure out as no one at your organization can help us, Really?

We cannot run a company with no accounting software! We need immediate assistance and none is being offered. If this lackadaisical attitude is the norm, people need to be made aware and make an informed decision on using your program. It's been 2 weeks and this is completely UNACCEPTABLE! Brett in Utah has been the only one that has been helpful. He is the only person that seems to understand our urgency and is trying to help but has been unable to figure out the issue. John-John and Brain, managers from the Florida office have been, to put it kindly, useless! BEWARE of this program and overall incompetent customer service and management.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I found that QuickBooks Online has proven to be a subpar that missed the mark of both ease of use and comparable desktop capabilities. With that said, the continuous marketing of this system to the public is negligent at best on the companies part. I believe the company needs to turn its attention back to improving QuickBooks Desktop. Continuing to mislead customers is neither responsible nor sustainable, I would hope that the company would find its way soon.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

What is happening to QBO? There are many frustrating issues they are in complete denial of. Namely, very slow to load, blaming the customer. It's how the pages load that make it slow, not our internet service. Why does the invoice repeat the customer’s name every time you modify the receipt or invoice? You can't remove it without it re-appearing again. Whatever is happening with them, they are not being up front at all. Except when it's time to pay the bill. They know how to be straightforward about that. Very disappointing.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

I have used QB online for 10 months and it is a nightmare. Cannot even print a check with invoice payment information. Sign in is inconsistent. Cannot charge late fees automatically - only a manual event. This program brings you back to the stone ages.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

We signed up and the migration was horrific. There were invoices that were missing in the migration and when I advised QBO the answer I received was, "How do you know?" Are you kidding!!! There is no responsibility on their part. There is no way I will have CRA come after me for their mistakes. I also signed up for payroll however never worked from day 1 but they still charged me even after I have had several complaints about it. Their best solution was for me to do payroll manually until they could find the fix for it. I don't have that kind of time when you are controller for three companies. I'm very disappointed not only with the product but with their service also. They claim they call you but I'm generally not in the office at 2 am EST. Seriously think about this.

Not sure about QuickBooks Online Simple Start?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Online Billing and Invoicing Software for you.

QuickBooks Online Simple Start expert review by Shelley Elmblad

QuickBooks Online is developed by Intuit, a long time leader in accounting software for small- to mid-sized businesses and tax software. There’s a 30-day free trial with iOS, Android and Blackberry apps.

• How much does QuickBooks cost?: At $12.95 per month, the Simple Start version is a low-cost way to send invoices and have access to a good set of small business accounting features. If a business eventually needs more features, it’s easy to upgrade to higher versions of QuickBooks for $26.95 to $39.95 per month, and $39 per month for payroll services. To accept invoices, you need to use Intuit Merchant Services for $19.95 per month plus per transaction and other fees.

• Signing up: When you sign up for free trial, it’s strongly suggested you should add payroll service. Look for “continue without payroll” button if you’re not interested in that feature. An upgrade to a higher version for another $14 per month is required for recurring invoices.

• Grows with business: If your business grows, you can add the ability to manage and pay bills, have multiple people use QuickBooks Online simultaneously, manage payroll and add inventory management features.

• Easy to use: QuickBooks Online Simple Start is very easy to use with intuitive tabs and graphics and was designed for people who are new to online billing and invoicing and accounting in general.

• No limits: Send unlimited invoices and estimates.

• Best for: self employed, independent contractors and mobile professionals.

Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
    Shelley Elmblad

Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

QuickBooks Online Simple Start Company Information

2632 Marine Way, Mountain View
    1-800-446-8848
    quickbooks.intuit.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business