1.15/5

Need an online billing service?

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

86 QuickBooks Online Simple Start Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Jan. 10, 2019

If you do not value your time please call them. They will have you on hold to talk to someone for 15 minutes first. Then once you speak to someone you will quickly realize they have not the slightest grasp of how their software works or any notion of how accounting works. They single-handedly led me to ruin my full years accounting with a phone call to support for a simple question regarding reconciliation. This software is very helpful for small businesses when used in conjunction with a knowledgeable accountant. Under no circumstances call their support line for help or anything for that matter.

Original review: Dec. 28, 2018

This is supposed to be easy, I guess. But it is horrible software. Cannot produce a year to date GL with indication of cleared transactions. Is glitchy. And it is not due to internet slowness because my internet connection is the best.

Get expert buying tips about Online Billing and Invoicing Software delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
    Original review: Dec. 3, 2018

I've used QuickBooks Desktop for many years with no issues. I recommended it to my many other contacts. When my accountant suggested I switch to the Online version, I resisted at first but she insisted it would be great. This is the worst decision I've made and I think I will need to fire my accountant if she thinks this program is so great. You can't see all the bills/invoices in one screen and where my bill pay process used to take about 10 minutes total it's now a 20 step hour long process!

Anytime you hit the back button it automatically resets you back to the start so you have to sort and click through the bills each time. You also can't see the full screen. Every other page on the internet has a scroll bar at the bottom but not QuickBooks. You will not be able to see the full register side to side in one screen unless you purchase a new monitor. I refuse to give in to the demands of QuickBooks Online to adjust how I have worked for years. I'm going back to desktop and firing my accountant.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2018

I own a small business and purchased Intuit QuickBooks online on the advice of my accountant. I had an old version which needed updating and we downloaded the 2017 version in 1/2018 for the 2017 tax season. I purchased the simplest version, which stated there would be a monthly charge of $7.00, which seemed fine to me. The program was simpler than the old version and I was and am happy with the program. On 2/4/18, my credit card had the February $7.00 charge and on 2/24/2018 I was charged $49.99 for the online program. On 3/5/2018 and 4/3/2018 the monthly fees of $7.00 were charged. But on both 5/3/2018 and 6/4/2018 The $7.00 fee, was doubled and I was charged $15.00 each.

And then on 7/3/2018, my monthly $7.00 charged went up to $20.00 a month which it has been since then. On 11/20/2018 I called Quickbooks and was told that there was nothing that could be done, and that I should call after January 2019 and they “may” be able to give me a small discount. There was no explanation of why my monthly rate tripled in a 6-month period. I have never received an explanation, which I feel, as a customer I deserve.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I started a small business 3 years ago and wanted an accounting program that I could use from various locations... something that operated in the Cloud would be the way to go. I looked at the new QuickBooks online and thought it met the requirements. Getting set up was fairly straightforward, there were a few glitches along the way and I worked through them. The problem that was the most challenging was my accountant wasn't using the online version, and many of the tools that he needed are not included on the online version. Which made his work nearly impossible.

Over the last few years things have improved in some areas but not in others, and the monthly price continues to go up... Now the problem is switching to something else, because of the lack of export ability, although they tell you it is possible, in the real world it isn't... It is hard to switch over to another program. And the monthly fee continues to go up. My accountant is using the program but it doesn't have the functionality that he needs to properly do his work. It is by no means a fully functional accounting program! I've been looking at ways to move to another product and will when I have done all my homework and know that I'll have a product that my company can grow with, I'll be speaking with my accountant along the way to ensure we are choosing a good program.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about QuickBooks Online Simple Start?

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

The service I received from QuickBooks Online Au team is horrible. Can't be worse. The company claimed to have seamless integration with PayPal in the promotion email. I signed up and paid the subscription. It turned out the Accept via PayPal app in the app market is very buggy and far from mature for use. It just won't do the manual import time to time, all just won't do it at all. After submitting feedbacks for the problems I had during the use of the product, the service team have not provide any real solution and all the support tickets been closed. During the support time, in the email the customer service will either try to tell you that's all they can do, or they have provided the feedback or raised the problem to the upper level, then rush to close the ticket and ALL OF YOUR OTHER TICKETS because they think all your other tickets are simply duplicates that should not open for long.

At the other time the customer service will just don't know what you are talking about at all. They simply don't understand their own product. Then several days later suddenly my paid subscription account been 'deleted'. Reported to the customer service via phone, email and Twitter. All I got is sorry we are trying to find out what has happened. It's been 4 days my account been out and I can't use it at all when I writing this review. One guy from the service team told me if I want to follow up on the support ticket I can call on their number and ask for him to answer the call. Turned out when you ask for him, you'll need to first provide your name, email, company ID and your support ticket first, otherwise they will not give the call. After provide the details to the lady on the phone, then I was told, “Sorry that man is not in the city to answer the call.”

1 day later I contacted via email again asking for an update, this time the new customer service representative closed all my old tickets and telling me I'll need to provide my email, name, company ID, credit card on file, address, last time paid amount to her, to continue for the email support. Intuit QuickBooks has became such horrible service company that I'd avoid at all cost. Hope I've read the reviews here before I gave my money to them.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2018

I own and operate a construction company for 25 years. We have been using QuickBooks and changed to QuickBooks Online. Recently I checked the box to allow customers to pay me via credit card or ACH (UNBELIEVABLY MAJOR MISTAKE). When my customer used this option, QuickBooks - Merchant Services put a hold on the deposit and proceeded to demand that we provide documentation to prove that our credit was sufficient for them to complete the transfer and informed us that they would charge 2.9% fee for the inconvenience. QuickBooks is COMMITTING FRAUD by leaving out important details when advertising their Merchant Services and then holding their customer's funds indefinitely.

Original review: Nov. 5, 2018

How I wish I had seen these reviews 2 years ago. I have used Quicken for personal accounting and QuickBooks desktop version at my job for many, many years and found both to be terrific. But my husband has a small business and when QB desktop stopped being available for MAC, we turned to QBO. It is totally non-user friendly. Just trying to get to a check register takes many clicks and too much time. Can't have more than one screen up at a time. Automatic download of transactions from bank really threw us into a mess. Confusing to use and resulted in duplicate deposits entered and screwing up bank rec. When I called for help to straighten it out, they couldn't and told me to contact my accountant. Don't have one. (Very small co.) Haven't been able to reconcile since June. Can't undo past recs to try to fix problem. Have spent HOURS trying to resolve this. No luck. Must look for another program -- another company. Do not buy!!

Original review: Nov. 2, 2018

For the last two months I am unable to see any of my bank transactions. I have spent countless hours talking to customer service, but they are useless. It is very frustrating. QuickBooks could care less. Here is the error code that I've received for the last two months: "We can't get your transactions for you right now, but we're working on it. We're fixing our connection to this bank as quickly as possible. Try updating again tomorrow. (101)"

Original review: Oct. 23, 2018

It's easier for me so my accountant can just log in. However, what a learning curve. HUGE issue for me - a very basic function, recurring payments not supported. Seriously?? Also, not long after I signed up (2 business accounts) the price went up.

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I work for a small business and we have been using QBO for a few years. Our accountant uses it, but warned us it was pretty terrible software. My experience has proven it is a HORRIBLE product. In the last 18 months I have spend over 30 hours on the phone with customer service about various problems with the software, and not ONCE has someone been able to resolve my issues. In fact, each time I've called, they blame outside influences for their problems. For instance, my most recent problem was when I connected a new AMEX OPEN business card to QBO. When I did this, 450+ transactions were uploaded to my 'attachments'. Not only is there no way to 'batch action delete' attachments, each attachment has uploaded with an 'unidentified' link and I can no longer individually delete the attachments (which would take me a few hours anyway).

So, when I go to send invoices to customers, I have to scroll through HUNDREDS of attachments in order to find the ones that I need. Customer service told me it was a problem on the part of AMEX, which makes absolutely no sense, because once the transactions have uploaded to QBO, they then 'belong' to QBO software and all QBO commands. Note, this is a problem for ANYONE connecting an AMEX OPEN card to their QBO. Customer service told me to 'submit feedback' but that there were currently 'no solutions'. Intuit is by far top 3 (maybe top) worst companies I have ever worked with; their product is equally terrible. Their lack of accountability epitomizes mediocrity.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

Small business owners stay away!!! This company is a disaster with no support and when you do reach support they have not a clue! "Temporary System Outage" resulting in subscription customers not being charged. No resources mentioning this error in support documents to troubleshoot this error and phone support not available on weekends. STAY AWAY FOR PROCESSING E-COMMERCE!!! Better solutions out there. This is sloppy and support doesn't have a clue what "temporary system outage" means. I called in a week later and was transferred 3 times each individual passing me along with no one having any actual clue.

Quickbooks support just simply gave me the copy+paste customer support reply how it rarely happens. So first customers were not billed as scheduled and now they have been double charged and I'm left to deal with refunds, burning more time. The interface does not feel intuitive to set any of this up either. What you will run into a lot is "please see our live community for an answer" (because you the business owner has so much extra time right?). This leaves you searching and searching for solutions that in my experience do not exist. Honestly if you are looking at e-commerce find a better solution. This is a disaster, it will cost you HOUR AND HOURS of your time dealing with issues if you choose this company.

I have now tried 3 times to reach out via Facebook DM and I have not received a response once. I had support respond to the review though and then completely drop off. On top of that when I called support during the week I had them look over the account to ensure no customers were double charged during this "temporary system outage" I was assured this was not the case, clearly, no one looked at this too thoroughly. I was very clear that I was new to setting up re-occurring billing and specifically asked to have these looked over. I just received an email from a customer asking about a double charge. I wish I could rate zero stars. Seriously stay away from this company.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Horrible experience. The experience with QB Online since January, 2017 has undone the prior 30 years of experience as an Intuit QB customer. The technical team does not have accounting background thus creating accounting issues on top of IT issues. An accountant is needed to correct the problems created by the IT team. Customer service is a nightmare. Intuit has lost sight of their customer base with this product. Worst part is that once enrolled it is very difficult to figure out how to transfer your data to another accounting program. Once enrolled monthly fees continue to increase.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I have used Quickbooks for years and it has just gotten too pricey for a small business like mine. I switched a few years ago to the online version to avoid the annual required upgrade fees. I have another system for the main functions of my business. The only option I use above the basic "Start Simple" plan is the preparation and sending of 1099s. The only way to get this feature is "Plus" subscription for now $60 a month! Thank you Intuit. This is the push I needed to start evaluating other platforms such as Freshbooks and Billy. My CPA has been telling me for some time that is was a mistake to switch to the online version of Quick books, so he will be happy with the change.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I wish I could give them 0 stars. I find it VERY hard to believe that a huge company like this could be so poorly operated. I have a long list of complaints about this service (or lack thereof)... Let's start with the fact that they have pretty much doubled the fee for online access from $18 to $35 per month. The services are NO BETTER... just twice as much money.

Next, they make it very hard to work with them on any issues. We had a client use the bank transfer feature on his invoice, he miskeyed his account info & we had no idea there was a problem with his payment because QB never sent any notification of a problem & it did not show in our merchant center. They made us wait 9 days & only notified us of a problem when I called to ask about it. Then, I had to re-enter the information with the client's ok just to have to wait another 5-7 business days for the payment to hit the bank. Meanwhile, our client has been waiting for us to order parts for him to complete the job & we are no closer to getting that done within the original time frame of 2 weeks promised to the client. Honestly... I will be taking accounting classes online & cancelling our QB services as soon as possible. Fred Pryor online seminars has some great programs available.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

So you know all the things that makes QB desktop great and have made it so successful over the years? Well...NONE of that is in QB online. You have to learn from scratch. Nothing works the same, it is NOT user friendly nor intuitive as to where features would normally be and is very difficult to navigate.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

Terrible experience... They will suspend your account immediately if your credit card expires and then you have to re-subscribe and re-enter your company information, etc. They double paid our employees' salaries and suspended our account until their money was received for their error. Terrible, terrible, terrible. All call centers are out of country of which you have to repeat 5 times everything so they understand, support is poor and they will never return any call or email. It's a joke... Look for a better system.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I work for a CPA firm and there is not one staff person here who likes QBO. But because our clients have been duped into believing QBO is the ultimate solution for them, we have no choice but to use it on those accounts. To do even simple tasks, several steps have to be taken; information frequently gets lost and cannot be retrieved; goes offline all the time; some reports not accurate on the sums; I could go on and on about the amount of time we waste in using this program. DO NOT USE IT!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

#Quickbooks customer service hits the trifecta. Brutally slow (20 of 35 minutes of call on hold). Absolutely incompetent - tech has no answer for why I was logged out 20 secs after my last data entry - and it didn't save work. Tech can't find supervisor. @QuickBooksCA.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I've been a Quickbooks user for over 10 years. I'm writing to give you a warning about the Online trial. If you sign up for a free QBO trial then you get 30 days of free usage. Then, if you don't subscribe, Quickbooks warns you that they will delete your data 3 months later. I signed up for the free trial on April 19th and spent about 20 hours entering data. Then I subscribed on July 16th, before the 3 month deadline elapsed, and received the following message:

"We're happy you've decided to continue using QuickBooks Simple Start for your company ** Company (Company ID: **). We kept your company data safe on our servers. Just log in at qbo.intuit.com and pick up where you left off." Well, I logged in today and... my data is all gone! I called tech support and got three different stories from representative "Hatim."

Story 1: They tried to convince me that I never had any data there in the first place. When I pushed back, I was put on hold for 10 minutes in order for Hatim to speak with tech support. Story 2: Hatim comes back from speaking with tech support and says they see that there was a bunch of data there. But now it's gone. Forever. And they understand that I'm disappointed. I demand to speak with a manager and get some compensation for my lost data and time. Answer: "We understand you are disappointed." I don't care whether you understand or not, I need my data and I need to speak with a manager. I get put on hold for another 10 minutes.

Story 3: Hatim is back. He's been speaking with tech support. There is "some kind of a glitch or something." He says they will call me back within one business day with "positive news." Bottom line: Spent 45 minutes with tech support getting the runaround from the call center representative. Zero accountability or ownership taken by the company. Trying to blame me for a catastrophic failure on their end. I will update here with what happens next.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

We were using Quickbooks Enterprise, but our company outgrew it. We found a good online software for our inventory and sales, and we needed an online accounting software package to integrate with. Quickbooks online seemed the logical choice. BAD IDEA! We lost so much basic accounting functionality that I feel like I went back to the stone ages. Accounts Payable - I now have to manually calculate and enter purchase discounts. It does not do anything with dating terms such as 1% 10 net 30. Accounts Receivable - Again no dating terms or discounts. Also I cannot change the formatting of the statements, and the address that prints on the statement does not fit in a standard window envelope! Also, no capability to calculate finance charges on past due invoices. I now do all that manually.

Assigning payments to specific invoices is more difficult than before. When credit are involved, I have to manually calculate the amount left to pay and enter it. I do a lot more work just doing my regular daily tasks. If were weren't tied to Quickbooks Online because of our other software, I would not ever use it. I don't understand why the desktop software can't be put online and no one at Quickbooks has any answers as to when the basic functionality of online will be as we all expected coming from the desktop version.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I have been using QBO for 4 plus years. I am officially sick of it! So glad to have found this site and see that I am not the only one having issues. I have been on the phone with customer service no less than 30 times over the last six months. I can't even tell how poor their service has been. Occasionally I'll get someone who actually knows how to "fix" an issue, but mostly it's a lot of hold time and let me go talk to someone who actually knows what to do.

Recently (this started 2 weeks ago!!!) I called because I was unable to send my clients a statement showing progress payments as I have been doing since I started with QBO. Out of the blue I was receiving error codes. Error codes for something I've been doing years, almost daily. I called... again. I was told they are aware of the issue and would have a resolution soon. A few of my clients have asked what is up with the statements being sent now. I have to explain that it's a QB issue. It's actually embarrassing to me to send out the statements... when I'm even able to? Fast forward to today. Same issue, another call.

Customer agent acknowledges there's an issue. Puts me on hold for 10 plus minutes only to come back and tell me he's sorry, but there is no solution at this time. He took my phone # and told me he would call me when it is resolved. My response: "I'm a betting man and I'll bet you $20 right now I never hear from you." He did not take that bet and I requested he also send me email confirmation of this issue. He said he would. I have yet to receive that email, but it has only been 10 minutes.

Immediately after that call I searched Quickbooks online reviews. I was blown away to see 4 and 5 stars all over. But, that's what big money can buy. Scrolled down further and found this legit site. I'm pretty sure these are all 1 star reviews. And I'm certain would be zero if that was an option. I am about to venture into a new business. Do you know what accounting/bookkeeping software I'M NOT USING - YUP QUICKBOOKS ONLINE. I'm so vested in it with my present company that I don't know if I can stop. Will be looking into other solutions and hope to just pull the plug and start fresh.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I have used QuickBooks desktop for over 20 years. I needed to have others to be able to connect to my account. This has been a disaster!! It is the most cumbersome online system I have ever used. If you have a way not to use don't.

Original review: July 9, 2018

I have used Quickbooks Desktop since 2005 as a general contractor. In 2016 I switched to Quickbooks Online so my bookkeeper could work from home. What a disaster. In their attempt to create a product for all their clients, they left out much of their programming for contractors and several other businesses. I could not do progressive billing to my clients. It was a nightmare trying to keep track of balances. I then tried to switch back to desktop. I could not do so without upgrading to 2018 since they removed my banking. So I paid the money. Now my email isn't working out of the blue. It says to change the password. No help in doing this. I called technical support. If I want an answer, I would need to pay a one time fee of $65. They sent an email that would be "easy" to solve my problem. It was easy, but didn't solve the problem.

I have been dealing with issue after issue with this software, even contacting the president. All I hear is they are working on resolving issues. They aren't. I would like a company that I can call or even chat to get an issue resolved. I don't want to spend hours working around a software issue while shelling out money for the product. My option is to again switch to a totally different product. This company is seasoned enough to know how to improve its product without all of these problems that go on for years.

Original review: July 3, 2018

QuickBooks switched to subscription based software, if you don't pay the ridiculous amount of fees and annual increases of subscription fees, you'll be locked out and unable to access your company files until you pay the $4,000 - $5,000 subscription fee. They may offer low introductory pricing only to raise it 300% next year. Beware, they'll hold your finances hostage, better known as ransomware. Let's not even start with customer support and downtime.

Original review: June 26, 2018

This program is one of the worst if not worst programs I have ever had to deal with!!! it feels like they went back 30 years in technology. Nothing is easy about this program!! Everything is additional steps compared to the desktop. Difficult to maneuver around it. Cannot have more than 1 window at a time. Shortcut keystrokes are minimal and more complicated than desktop. Cannot unreconcile a bank statement with a click on a button. You have to unclear each transaction one at a time. Reconciliations are more difficult. Downloads from the bank are more complicated and confusing. Difficult to make changes. Service is awful. I can go on and on.

Quickbooks is pushing this as they charge a monthly fee where when you buy the desktop version is a flat fee and you do not need to upgrade for 3 years. Huge money maker for them as they charge a monthly fee where the desktop version is good for 3 years. Quickbooks Premier is an excellent program considering the cost of it. I would rather use Peachtree than the online version any day!!! Wish I could give this negative stars!!!

Original review: June 21, 2018

As a small business, I have three bank accounts. Because QB no longer makes QB for Mac, I must use QB online. What a joke. The system is not user friendly. You cannot write multiple checks and print multiple checks, you must write one at a time and print one at a time. It's like QB online added 6 new steps to what use to be a simple two-step process and fairly intuitive. Now you need a PhD in rocket science. Their customer service people are poorly trained -- oh, except the people taking your money, then they are really on top of it. I hate the system. Don't get it! I'd rather do it all by hand the way I did in the cavewoman days. Really NOT User Friendly. Way too complicated. Too many bells and bling but no good functionality! QB online, in short, sucks big time. Don't waste your money or your energy if you're a small business!

Original review: June 19, 2018

After a year of maintaining our books via QBO my final verdict is NO! Don't do it. QBO might be good for Intuit but that doesn't make it good for their customers, particularly if you're a small business. Two main reasons: (a) Functionality. The desktop version is just better. It's easier to navigate. There are more functions at your fingertips. I don't do my bookkeeping on my Android device after hours and neither does our bookkeeper so I don't care if I can or not. What I do care about is that it not take me 45 minutes to figure out the new way of adding vendors or setting up payroll.

(b) Data security. Having your own data stored on your own servers: priceless. Say your small business runs into a cashflow issue during the slow months and for two months isn't able to keep up with all the bills and has to triage them and inadvertently your QBO payment gets put in the wrong pile... Or say this happens to your friend's business. How much would you (or your friend) appreciate it if Intuit held your data hostage and refused to help you access ANY of it even so that you could make your quarterly tax filing on time? I bet you would appreciate it NOT AT ALL just like me, or I mean just like my friend.

As soon as Quickbooks gives us access to OUR data again, we will cancel our QBO subscription entirely and transfer all our books to a previously paid for and wholly owned desktop version of QuickBooks and the next time we spend money on bookkeeping software, I promise you that Intuit will not get a dime of that money. Hey Intuit: Scroo U!

Original review: June 14, 2018

QuickBooks has one of the worst customer service I have ever received. When I needed help with payroll I called and they told me I would have to pay a one time fee of $89 before anyone would help me and I already subscribed to the full-service payroll. I constantly had to make the same changes because the changes never saved like they were supposed to. It automatically ran payroll and overdrafted my account. And when I tried to unsubscribe from QuickBooks it would not let me, I ended up having to email them and let them know that I am trying to cancel it.

Original review: May 22, 2018

For over 2 months I've been on multiple cases that are supposed to be fixing the issue with several banks that I have that are stating they are importing my transactions, but nothing is importing automatically. The system says it's working and it's not. I have to manually import several banks (Chase, Amex, Capital One, UFCU, Discover, BofA) with several accounts to be able to both reconcile and categorize. I'm very frustrating that after 2 months, nothing has worked and now I'm being told that I've not been added to these 'ongoing investigations' with their engineers. I'm about ready to find another service and start all over.

QuickBooks Online Simple Start expert review by Shelley Elmblad

QuickBooks Online is developed by Intuit, a long time leader in accounting software for small- to mid-sized businesses and tax software. There’s a 30-day free trial with iOS, Android and Blackberry apps.

• How much does QuickBooks cost?: At $12.95 per month, the Simple Start version is a low-cost way to send invoices and have access to a good set of small business accounting features. If a business eventually needs more features, it’s easy to upgrade to higher versions of QuickBooks for $26.95 to $39.95 per month, and $39 per month for payroll services. To accept invoices, you need to use Intuit Merchant Services for $19.95 per month plus per transaction and other fees.

• Signing up: When you sign up for free trial, it’s strongly suggested you should add payroll service. Look for “continue without payroll” button if you’re not interested in that feature. An upgrade to a higher version for another $14 per month is required for recurring invoices.

• Grows with business: If your business grows, you can add the ability to manage and pay bills, have multiple people use QuickBooks Online simultaneously, manage payroll and add inventory management features.

• Easy to use: QuickBooks Online Simple Start is very easy to use with intuitive tabs and graphics and was designed for people who are new to online billing and invoicing and accounting in general.

• No limits: Send unlimited invoices and estimates.

• Best for: self employed, independent contractors and mobile professionals.

Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
    Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

QuickBooks Online Simple Start Company Information