Learn More
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.01/5

QuickBooks Online Simple Start’s intuitive tabs and graphics make it a good choice for people new to online billing, invoicing and accounting. This software is compatible with iOS and Android systems. Simple Start costs $40 a month, but discounts are available during sales. There is also a 30-day free trial.

QuickBooks Online Simple Start Learn More

QuickBooks Online Simple Start Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about QuickBooks Online Simple Start?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about QuickBooks Online Simple Start?

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

I've had Quickbooks Online with payroll for several years now. It started out good - if you had a problem you could get someone fast on the phone that was knowledgeable and fix it. Now you can't get anyone - I'm having a problem with my 1099s (which I have a subscription for) - when you do the online chat, they reroute you somewhere that sends you back to the original place (twice). Then when I requested a call back - they called back but couldn't help me because they were in Canada (I'm in the US). They gave me a number to call, where there is no one to help. Awful customer service!!!!

Original review: Dec. 22, 2020

This company does not back their product in any way. We had their services for years and all is fine until there is an error, no support. We recently decided to use their payroll services and that's when I couldn't keep quiet any longer. We set up the payroll service through them and after a week the service was cancelled, we didn't cancel it and they said they didn't. After 8 hours on the phone they still can't explain why it was canceled and what has to be done to correct the cancellation. Their condescending attitude doesn't help either. I don't understand how they stay in business, overall one of the worst companies to deal with ever. We are absolutely done with them.

Get buying tips about Business to Business Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2020

When speaking to the Sales Dept via Chat, we were given the impression that Quickbooks Online with the Payroll feature would work for us (small real estate rental LLC with over 50 rentals). The sale rep claimed his sister used it for her small real estate rental properties too. Maybe his sales pitch is true, but the product did NOT apply well to our needs. Despite setting up automatic conciliation shortcuts, the system never recognized any repeat transactions. Setting up journal entries and paying the officers never happened with Quickbooks online; not to mention importing all the properties and anything to do with them (repairs, rent roll) didn't work out so well. We had spent days importing the properties as per the instructions you can find in their help search; updating the information and details of properties into "customers" as that's what you would have to do to classify each property. What a waste of time.

The only thing that did work well was the pay wages to employees and reporting & submitting taxes/forms to the state and IRS. Customer service is via chat only-which is a pain as the reps are clueless even if you spell out everything to him/her. We ended up cancelling our services, but are now caught up in their latest email notice of closing out our FEID with the IRS. REALLY?! Why would you do that? Because we cancelled our services?! The reps are making it sooo difficult to confirm that Intuit QuickBooks is NOT going to close out our FEID with the IRS. We are still in business, just not doing business with them any longer. STAY away from QuickBooks online if you have a rental property business as their product will NOT work well for you, and if you don't want them to threaten to close out your FEID.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2020

We switched our company books from desktop to online, and since then our books have been so screwed up with double entries, mismatched transactions, inaccurate numbers, bill payments that seem to cancel or recategorize themselves. And those are just to name a few. For the price you pay a year, you would think they would spend a bit more time doing research into their own software to iron out the wrinkles before unveiling it.

The concept was probably great but the actual product is horrible. Not user friendly and can be a bit challenging even for seasoned accountants. Also when changes are made it would be great to have a heads up on it. QBO volunteered to make our FIT payment again for us even after we had just made it using our own method. Seems as if QB unlocked that feature and took it upon themselves to implement it. This put our books behind at least 7k!!!! imagine paying that to the IRS TWICE!!!! And you didn't even have to!!!!

Original review: Nov. 23, 2020

After using Quickbooks on-line for 8 years, our account was abruptly flagged and our payments were placed on hold without notice. Upon calling Quickbooks and after holding for 45 minutes I was sent to their Risk Management group, they did not state what the issue was but started asking extremely personal questions about my business and my identity. They were rude at best. I provided all the information that they asked and was told the matter will be resolved in 2 business days. 10 days later I still did not have a resolution so I called and talked to another agent at Intuit (Quickbooks parent company).

After staying on the phone for an hour, I was told they needed some more information and that they would respond in 2 days. It has been another 5 days and I still don't have a response or resolution. Quickbooks used to be a good company to use for basic business transactions but after my experience with this group, I will absolutely not use or recommend them. It seems that they got too big for small business.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2020

I agree with other reviewers when they say that there is no one available to actually speak to...only chat is available. I spent about an hour on chat and got nowhere. Transferred me twice and no one knows anything. They probably work from home and are just wasting customers’ time. This is supposedly a well known company. Don’t waste your money or your time. It isn’t worth the headache.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2020

I’ve had so many troubles with this company for the simple reason that you can’t delete your data from the QuickBooks website! I’ve called and asked to reset my data as it’s incorrect (I’ve changed my business) and they told me a) make a new account (which I don’t want to do) and b) that they physically CANT DELETE MY ACCOUNT DATA even though I’m no longer going to be using their service. It automatically deletes after 1 year if you don’t resubscribe. If you like a website which doesn’t delete important info. This is the company for you. Also to make QuickBooks work for me, I have to pay for an additional $20 a month subscription just so it integrates my stripe account. What a money grab. Stay away from this company. I wish I read the reviews earlier.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2020

I just spent 4 hours on a chat with payroll help and the problem was not resolved. QuickBooks online payroll wants to make all the payroll tax payments for you. However, they can not make the WA L & I, because it is different than what they normally do. BUT, the payroll online does not calculate the taxes properly. If you wait until the payment is due or two weeks before, you can not make an adjustment to the payment so it shows paid and it is the wrong amount. When I chatted with help, I spent 4 hours and nothing was resolved, so the books will be off.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

Watch out! Switched to Quickbooks Online and our customer paid our invoice through Quickbooks. What a mistake!! Now Quickbooks has held onto our money, several thousands, for over 12 days!! We need our money and we have been jumping through hoops by giving Quickbooks all the information they have requested, including cell phone bills, EIN, bank numbers, and more. They still are saying it will be several days before they can inform us when we will get out money. Our customer paid, it has been withdrawn from his account, and we don't have our money! Upon researching, Quickbooks has been known to do this, as you will see in the help/ask questions section. I hope this doesn't happen to anyone else. Beware!!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2020

I liked using the product for the most part, but unfortunately QBO customer service is incompetent to say the least. I was on monthly debit from my CC & several months ago I wanted to change the credit card on file for a new one, so I phoned in to QBO & cancelled the old card & added a new one. However they continued to debit my old Visa without me knowing & cost me $$$ in interest & fees, until Visa finally put a stop payment on their account. Upon reviewing their mistake they said they couldn't find the actual call log from the day that I called, & accepted no responsibility. They indicated I (the customer) needed to come up with the call log.

I said I wanted to activate the account with my new CC# but instead they set up a new acct, with no way at all of transferring my previous QB data to it. Useless. I then asked again for them to reinstate my original acct & they said they could do it, but for over 3 times the monthly fee. I have contacted them numerous times & they promise to have a supervisor call me, but so far nothing. Stay away, it's not worth the hassle.

QuickBooks Online Simple Start author review by Shelley Elmblad

QuickBooks Online is developed by Intuit, a long time leader in accounting software for small- to mid-sized businesses and tax software. There’s a 30-day free trial with iOS, Android and Blackberry apps.

• How much does QuickBooks cost?: At $12.95 per month, the Simple Start version is a low-cost way to send invoices and have access to a good set of small business accounting features. If a business eventually needs more features, it’s easy to upgrade to higher versions of QuickBooks for $26.95 to $39.95 per month, and $39 per month for payroll services. To accept invoices, you need to use Intuit Merchant Services for $19.95 per month plus per transaction and other fees.

• Signing up: When you sign up for free trial, it’s strongly suggested you should add payroll service. Look for “continue without payroll” button if you’re not interested in that feature. An upgrade to a higher version for another $14 per month is required for recurring invoices.

• Grows with business: If your business grows, you can add the ability to manage and pay bills, have multiple people use QuickBooks Online simultaneously, manage payroll and add inventory management features.

• Easy to use: QuickBooks Online Simple Start is very easy to use with intuitive tabs and graphics and was designed for people who are new to online billing and invoicing and accounting in general.

• No limits: Send unlimited invoices and estimates.

by Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

QuickBooks Online Simple Start Company Information