Find a Business Services partner

Help me decide

1.8/5 (241 ratings)
Find a Business Services partner

Need business insurance? We got you.

See quotes from top insurers on Simply Business

Get my quote

About QuickBooks Online Simple Start

QuickBooks Online Simple Start’s intuitive tabs and graphics make it a good choice for people new to online billing, invoicing and accounting. This software is compatible with iOS and Android systems. Simple Start costs $40 a month, but discounts are available during sales. There is also a 30-day free trial.

Need business insurance? We got you.

See quotes from top insurers on Simply Business

Get my quote

QuickBooks Online Simple Start Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about QuickBooks Online Simple Start?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about QuickBooks Online Simple Start?

Original review: July 31, 2021

Their customer service totally sucks. Try and get someone on the phone. It takes hours for simple things. Used to love Quickbooks but not anymore. Try and find a phone number online for customer service... You will not find one. If you want to buy something they are all over you.

Original review: June 28, 2021

The worst customer service I have experienced from a company. It is impossible to call them. In order to have them call you it takes an extraordinary amount of time jumping through hoops. Despite cancelling services they continue to charge me. In fact, I had to put stop payments in at my bank which cost me a total of $56. And then they started charging my credit card on file. It is an absolute nightmare. In total I have been charged $1600.00 in excess.

Get buying tips about Business to Business Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 21, 2021

Do NOT use their premium payroll. It's expensive and their customer service is horrible. I spent almost 4 hours trying to get an answer to a simple question about a 941 form they filed. They kept transferring me around to various people and every single time they couldn't find the 941 form I had a question on. I had to do a screen share to show them where it was! I got disconnected three times and they never called back. They also told me that I would have to talk to the IRS at one point. I refused and told them that they were filing these forms on our behalf, they were doing the calculations so they should be able to answer my questions. I asked several times to talk to a supervisor and they wouldn't transfer me to one. They just said that they could put in a request for a supervisor to call me back in 24-48 hours! It was just unbelievable how horrible it was.

Original review: May 4, 2021

We had been using QBO for about 6 months, tracking two different vehicles independently, when suddenly that feature was pulled out from under us during an update, and moved up beyond the next paywall, which would almost double what we're already paying them to meet. Reaching a real person takes hours, and when I called about this particular issue, the person I finally spoke to confirmed the elimination of the service, and since they clearly worked for a separate customer support company and couldn't do anything else for me, they agreed with me that it was a dirty thing for QuickBooks to do, and recommended that I file feedback about it. As far as I can tell, that feedback was completely ignored.

Two weeks ago, our mileage stopped tracking altogether. We discovered this on the weekend, when we do our bi-weekly accounting, and Quickbooks offers no customer support AT ALL on weekends. When I requested a callback on Monday, I was told I could expect a call in 4 hours, which was ridiculous enough. 6 hours later, AFTER MIDNIGHT EST, I finally received a call from them, which went to my voicemail. Because I did not pick up Quickbooks' customer support call AFTER MIDNIGHT, the voicemail let me know that I would have to get back in the queue to request another callback.

I really have never felt so disrespected as a consumer. Their customer service is absolutely awful, the browser app is one of the worst I've ever used, and they will pull services out from under you with no notice and demand you pay more for them. Their unduly large market share allows them to operate like the mafia. As soon as this fiscal year is over, we're migrating to FreshBooks/MileIQ.

Original review: May 1, 2021

The QuickBooks online experience is poor. I pay for a subscription, they charge transaction fees for every transaction and they still have the audacity to continually have popup ads in their product. This has been going on for 2 years, many complaints from many customers and they keep calling them "navigational aids", yes QuickBooks we are that stupid to think they are navigational aids and not ads. Seeing an ad once or twice, no problem, however I will see it every time I log in to the platform and multiple times in the same session. It's insulting as a consumer of their service that they would continually upsell me and hugely disruptive to an already time sink of a task. There is no way to stop these ads from popping up, this is not a customer-centric company. I'm shopping for alternatives.

Original review: April 30, 2021

It is now 10:39 AM on a Friday. My employees' direct deposit is delayed, and I'm trying to find out why. The only way to contact customer service is via chat, and when I try to reach someone, I get the message "Our experts are currently offline. Please try again later." Really QuickBooks, really?! It is the middle of the morning on a week day!! You can't afford to pay one customer service rep, not one??!! You lost my business forever!

Original review: April 22, 2021

Do not go down the rabbit hole of QBO. It is a horrible system that will leave you wishing you had never touched it. It is constantly messing up my finances and I have spent hours and hours on chat support with no avail. Do not use QBTime either. They do not sync properly and there is no one to help you.

Original review: April 9, 2021

WORST CUSTOMER SUPPORT EVER. Signed up for QB Cash to "supposedly" get the money quicker and with less fees. They CAN'T even connect you to the SAME bank your QB is connected to for 3-5 days and thus HOLD YOUR MONEY HOSTAGE. You can't get it back out to send to your account until you receive the Debit Card and they can't cancel it without a 0-balance. They claim to "Support Small Businesses" yet this corporate giant does nothing to expedite and serve this clientele that has vendors to pay and business to do. Find a better Service provider that actually has your best interest in mind.

Original review: April 3, 2021

Can't perform simple tax functions needed. Like exempting certain employees or certain state taxes from the payroll system. It forces you to have to pay them. We are in Washington and do not have workman's comp. We have industrial insurance called L&I where half is paid by the employee and the other half by the employer. You can't set this up in the system as a liability or payroll item, there is nowhere to do this. I also needed to add some compensation that is not subject to taxation and it listed in box 14 of the W-2 but there is nowhere to add this compensation. If these things are actually possible to configure customer service does not know the answers and just keeps you in a waiting situation by telling you they are looking for the answer. I had to give up after waiting for 2 hours. I would avoid using Quickbooks Online and stick with the desktop versions where you can turn off and on certain functions and disable certain taxes.

Original review: April 1, 2021

Keeping your books is nerve racking and QB has not helped this last year. I used to like them and now their system is glitchy. My main vendor disappeared from the system. If you are a small business there are much better options than QB that are easier to use, more stable, and less expensive. I paid for a yearly subscription and I've tried multiple ways to get a refund for 2021 payment. Is trying to get a refund at this point even worth it? Again, I used to like QB. Never again.

QuickBooks Online Simple Start author review by Shelley Elmblad

QuickBooks Online is developed by Intuit, a long time leader in accounting software for small- to mid-sized businesses and tax software. There’s a 30-day free trial with iOS, Android and Blackberry apps.

• How much does QuickBooks cost?: At $12.95 per month, the Simple Start version is a low-cost way to send invoices and have access to a good set of small business accounting features. If a business eventually needs more features, it’s easy to upgrade to higher versions of QuickBooks for $26.95 to $39.95 per month, and $39 per month for payroll services. To accept invoices, you need to use Intuit Merchant Services for $19.95 per month plus per transaction and other fees.

• Signing up: When you sign up for free trial, it’s strongly suggested you should add payroll service. Look for “continue without payroll” button if you’re not interested in that feature. An upgrade to a higher version for another $14 per month is required for recurring invoices.

• Grows with business: If your business grows, you can add the ability to manage and pay bills, have multiple people use QuickBooks Online simultaneously, manage payroll and add inventory management features.

• Easy to use: QuickBooks Online Simple Start is very easy to use with intuitive tabs and graphics and was designed for people who are new to online billing and invoicing and accounting in general.

• No limits: Send unlimited invoices and estimates.

by Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

QuickBooks Online Simple Start Company Information