3.9/5 (433 ratings)
Find a Business Services partner

Need business insurance? We got you.

See quotes from top insurers on Simply Business

Get my quote

About QuickBooks Online Simple Start

QuickBooks Online Simple Start’s intuitive tabs and graphics make it a good choice for people new to online billing, invoicing and accounting. This software is compatible with iOS and Android systems. Simple Start costs $40 a month, but discounts are available during sales. There is also a 30-day free trial.

Need business insurance? We got you.

See quotes from top insurers on Simply Business

Get my quote

QuickBooks Online Simple Start Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about QuickBooks Online Simple Start?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about QuickBooks Online Simple Start?

Original review: June 23, 2022

Because I had trouble upgrading for the year online with Intuit, I purchased their product online thru Staples. When I received the CD in the mail and opened their case, I had to scratch off a label to get the license number and product code. In doing so part of the license number and product code scratched off with it. This was their packaging, and the case was wrapped in cellophane. So clearly this was a defect in their packaging. When I called customer support, after a 30 minute conversation their only solution was for me to call Staples and ask Staples to resolve the issue. I have never had an issue with QuickBooks before. But will definitely not be using them in the future. In the past they were always willing to resolve an issue. This is the worst customer service that I have ever received.

Original review: June 11, 2022

Unbelievable ---If there was a negative star, I would give it! I paid $50/year for QuickBooks online, and then forked out another MANY hundreds of dollars to have QuickBooks online run my payroll--NOT difficult, one employee, ME, for my sole S Corp. EXCEPT--they can't even do THAT right. Affordable care act requires employers to report cost of coverage of health plan on employees W2, box 12, code DD. Amount reported does NOT affect tax liability, as the value of the employer contribution is EXCLUDABLE from employee's income and is NON TAXABLE. But when QB online ran my payroll, they issued my W2 incorrectly, making the cost of my company-paid health care TAXABLE, and a HUGE tax liability for both ME and my company, which has now created huge penalties with EDD and interest is accruing by the minute.

After more than 50 emails ad phone calls, QB online has STILL bot corrected their incorrect W2, costing me thousands of dollars. I have been asking for a corrected W2 since December 2021, it is now almost July 2022, NO RESPONSE from QB ONline or their tax team. Can you say BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE?!? Run, don't walk, using QB online payroll has cost me thousands of dollars, and I still cannot file my personal or corporate tax returns for LAST year, because they simply do NOT respond regarding issuing a corrected W2!

Get buying tips about Business to Business Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 9, 2022

QBO ONLY knows how to pop in advertisements, CONSTANTLY. You pay $1600-$2000 a year for the subscription then they BOMBARD you with advertisements! It's like playing a game....ad pop up! Oh another AD popped up! OH and don't forget about their high school dropout "engineers" that do UPDATES...that screw with the ENTIRE System, so you spend the entire day or entire weekend trying to fix your accounts so you can continue business! I SAY RUN RUN RUN FAR AWAY from QBO. I used to like it, but the advertisements cannot be stopped and they are OUT OF CONTROL!

They recently rearranged my bank accounts to put an AD IN as a BANK ACCOUNT!!! Frigged everything up. I'm not spending hours trying to fix it on 4 accounts. I'm telling you they are money hungry now and basically one big ADVERTISEMENT that they CHARGE YOU FOR!! RUN!! I am SO tired of closing out ads. I DON'T WANT TO BUY YOUR CRAP QBO, Get that through your head!!!

Original review: May 17, 2022

Excellent. We have been using QuickHR for almost 4 years and this is the most cost-effective HR software I have ever used so far. User-friendly. Easy to apply for leave. Save massive time on payroll generation. Good customer support team. Thanks.

Original review: May 13, 2022

In April 2022, we encountered hardship with this QB, 2 charges were put through and it bounced back with a fee. My colleague found out that the accnt no. wasn't changed yet. We did what they wanted us to do, fast forward after 1 month, we are still following up.

Original review: May 5, 2022

As a small business owner, I was naturally drawn to QuickBooks based on their reputation. But, upon activating my subscription and trying to perform (what I expected to be) some basic tasks (ie: create a custom tax field/rate, add a gratuity option to an invoice). I also had some feature requests with linking independent contractor payroll to QB and ran into walls there too. Basically - 0-for-3 on the first three things I investigated. Tried calling customer support for all of the above and in each case was told it would be referred to the "specialist team" (or whatever they call it) to get a resolution. Resolution: QB Online doesn't do that. Even if I had upgraded to the most expensive version of the platform, it still didn't have the capabilities.

Fast forward 2 weeks to wanting to take advantage of their 60-day 100% customer satisfaction money back guarantee. I actually recently had a root canal - and that went smoother, more painless and took less time than getting my refund. It took several follow up calls over a few weeks to actually get the refund process - and when it did, it was not quite 100% refunded. (Only ~$700 out of $740.) While the $40 difference isn't going to make/break our business - the principle of it is incredibly frustrating. On top of the irony that this is accounting software... you'd think they would be able to process their own refund accurately... right?!?!

In any case, unless you have an incredibly basic business where all you really need is basic addition and subtraction and no integration with payroll, banking, etc. - then I would avoid this for a typical small business. (In this case, I would recommend a spreadsheet.) If you have an accounting background and need some sophisticated features - maybe a software-in-box version is right for you. But not for the typical small business owner.

Original review: March 23, 2022

This was an OK product when I started my business 10-years ago, but it has steadily become more expensive (double), with fewer and fewer included features. In the last year or so, there is now almost no support without upgrading and paying for it, and there is a non-stop barrage of pop-up ads from Quickbooks soliciting to purchase more products. The 'improvements' they roll-out only serve to make this product more cumbersome and difficult to use, and many of the features are implemented with no-way to turn them off...you're just stuck with them. For instance, now, every time I add a quote/estimate and email it, the subject is prefaced with "ESTIMATE -". No one from QB ever consulted me if I wanted this addition, and it only serves to confuse my customers. It's like this throughout their software.

The QUICKBOOKS payments is a hellacious rip-off. Though it may be the only payment application that is fully integrated into QBO, otherwise it has perhaps the MOST expensive credit card processing fees. And it doesn't fully integrate into QBO (features on the payments software are not available in QBO, and vice-versa). It is also cumbersome. But the best (worst) part is there is ZERO telephone support for credit cards anymore, only online support (from the Philippines?). Don't even think of being able to get a telephone (voice) or authorization for a purchase...it's just NOT there. Some great advice to the Quickbooks engineers - EVERY time you implement a feature provide the ability to disable it, especially if it is only an enhancement...one size does NOT fit all! If QBO's target consumer is the small, mobile business...they are doing a fantastic job of alienating (us).

Original review: Feb. 2, 2022

I have been using Quickbooks Online for about 4 years now. Until this year I have not had any problems, but for some reason my bank stopped syncing 6 months ago. I have spent hours on the phone with multiple agents trying to correct the problem to no avail. Never mind the amount of times I have been disconnected while on hold. I now have to do all of last years tax records by hand using my bank statements and writing it all out. I am furious and QB will not do anything to resolve. Customer service is terrible. I have canceled and will NEVER use them again. I did not receive the service I paid for and I feel like that is fraud. I have noticed similar reviews and wonder why a competitor hasn't taken advantage.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2021

Yes, I actually was not able to select what I'm actually going to do after not getting the help I needed. I only needed to sign in and now I'm going to cancel my subscription forever. It’s not that I entered the wrong username or password—those were certainly correct as verified by your system. However, your system needed to verify that it was still me. Your system is so antiquated that you relied on verifying my identity by sending a phone call. My phone is set up to block all spam calls--all calls that are not in my contacts--for a reason. The very fact that you don't send out a text message for verification is crazy! You're probably the only company in the U.S. that doesn't have this method. Or how about an email? That would even make a little sense since the email is the username and I would be verifying that I had access to that email. What if my phone number had changed and I wasn’t able to receive calls?

Lastly, I went through identifying myself the "long way" which includes entering a whole bunch of super private things like social security, etc., but QB says that it uses the info put on the last tax return from TurboTax. Well we didn't use TurboTax last year, so it doesn't have the most updated personal info. Ugh! And lastly, I was in a chat with a representative and I just clicked into a tab that I already had open while I was waiting for them to respond (which was taking forever) because, as a business owner, I'm busy. But then it completely closed out my chat. Poof! Gone. It would have been nice to at least have been notified when I started the chat that it would do that.

Then, alas, after going through the process again with a customer service representative that assured me they could at least cancel my account. 30+ mins. later, they informed me that they did not have the ability to cancel it. I’ve been a customer for years by the way with multiple business accounts. The representative also said that they’re experiencing issues on the backend of their site according to the developers. She could not give me an ETA on the resolution to the issues. I also mentioned that at the top of their site, it says that all systems are operational with a green light (button). This seems odd. I expressed my concern that if they know there’s an issue, why wouldn’t they notify customers? The representative was trying her best, but she gave me number to call to cancel from the appropriate department.

Can you guess what happened next? I went through a series of automated prompts (which is so tiresome these days anyways. Until AI gets better, this should really not be used). The automated voice tried to identify me. Get this…they were actually able to verify the number that I was calling from was actually associated with the account I was calling about. Perfect…or not. It actually wanted to send me a text message…finally…to verify me. So I said okay and received a text with a link. Guess where the link took me. It took me to log in to QB online! Ha! So I was sent in the cycle that led me on this journey in the first place. After trying to tell the automated machine that I wanted to speak to a representative, everything went silent and then I was hung up on.

I really want to cancel my account so badly. And just think, if I had been able to log in, they could have averted losing a customer. So much wasted time. It’s now appearing to be dishonest business practices since I cannot even cancel my account when I’ve made multiple representatives aware of this. This needs to change. This company should honestly be called SlowBooks because one way or another, they’re slowing you, the business owner, from being productive. So I hope someone reads this and passes it along to the CEO. My message to you is to USE YOUR OWN PRODUCTS. Failure to do this means that you can't empathize with the customer and you don't know the journey we're taking and therefore you will continue to lose customers.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

This company has literally taken my client's banking information and included it in my payment profile so that I can pay QuickBooks with random checking accounts that belong to other people. They. Do. Not. Care. I have spent so many hours telling and retelling. Screen sharing and recounting the problem with no fix. In addition, they have constant glitches with everything as they increase prices but make things worse. For example, I will create an invoice only to find out that it will not save or send because the button is missing. The worst part is the "process" they have for submitting problems. They keep you on the phone wasting your time while they build a case so the higher ups can decide if you are worth their time to help. I am beyond amazed that this company is not investigated.

QuickBooks Online Simple Start author review by Shelley Elmblad

QuickBooks Online is developed by Intuit, a long time leader in accounting software for small- to mid-sized businesses and tax software. There’s a 30-day free trial with iOS, Android and Blackberry apps.

• How much does QuickBooks cost?: At $12.95 per month, the Simple Start version is a low-cost way to send invoices and have access to a good set of small business accounting features. If a business eventually needs more features, it’s easy to upgrade to higher versions of QuickBooks for $26.95 to $39.95 per month, and $39 per month for payroll services. To accept invoices, you need to use Intuit Merchant Services for $19.95 per month plus per transaction and other fees.

• Signing up: When you sign up for free trial, it’s strongly suggested you should add payroll service. Look for “continue without payroll” button if you’re not interested in that feature. An upgrade to a higher version for another $14 per month is required for recurring invoices.

• Grows with business: If your business grows, you can add the ability to manage and pay bills, have multiple people use QuickBooks Online simultaneously, manage payroll and add inventory management features.

• Easy to use: QuickBooks Online Simple Start is very easy to use with intuitive tabs and graphics and was designed for people who are new to online billing and invoicing and accounting in general.

• No limits: Send unlimited invoices and estimates.

by Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Advisor

Shelley Elmblad is a writer with years of experience covering small business, mobile apps, personal finance and tax software. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

QuickBooks Online Simple Start Company Information