1.01/5

Need an online billing service?

76 QuickBooks Online Simple Start Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 5, 2018

I work for a small business and we have been using QBO for a few years. Our accountant uses it, but warned us it was pretty terrible software. My experience has proven it is a HORRIBLE product. In the last 18 months I have spend over 30 hours on the phone with customer service about various problems with the software, and not ONCE has someone been able to resolve my issues. In fact, each time I've called, they blame outside influences for their problems. For instance, my most recent problem was when I connected a new AMEX OPEN business card to QBO. When I did this, 450+ transactions were uploaded to my 'attachments'. Not only is there no way to 'batch action delete' attachments, each attachment has uploaded with an 'unidentified' link and I can no longer individually delete the attachments (which would take me a few hours anyway).

So, when I go to send invoices to customers, I have to scroll through HUNDREDS of attachments in order to find the ones that I need. Customer service told me it was a problem on the part of AMEX, which makes absolutely no sense, because once the transactions have uploaded to QBO, they then 'belong' to QBO software and all QBO commands. Note, this is a problem for ANYONE connecting an AMEX OPEN card to their QBO. Customer service told me to 'submit feedback' but that there were currently 'no solutions'. Intuit is by far top 3 (maybe top) worst companies I have ever worked with; their product is equally terrible. Their lack of accountability epitomizes mediocrity.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2018

Small business owners stay away!!! This company is a disaster with no support and when you do reach support they have not a clue! "Temporary System Outage" resulting in subscription customers not being charged. No resources mentioning this error in support documents to troubleshoot this error and phone support not available on weekends. STAY AWAY FOR PROCESSING E-COMMERCE!!! Better solutions out there. This is sloppy and support doesn't have a clue what "temporary system outage" means. I called in a week later and was transferred 3 times each individual passing me along with no one having any actual clue.

Quickbooks support just simply gave me the copy+paste customer support reply how it rarely happens. So first customers were not billed as scheduled and now they have been double charged and I'm left to deal with refunds, burning more time. The interface does not feel intuitive to set any of this up either. What you will run into a lot is "please see our live community for an answer" (because you the business owner has so much extra time right?). This leaves you searching and searching for solutions that in my experience do not exist. Honestly if you are looking at e-commerce find a better solution. This is a disaster, it will cost you HOUR AND HOURS of your time dealing with issues if you choose this company.

I have now tried 3 times to reach out via Facebook DM and I have not received a response once. I had support respond to the review though and then completely drop off. On top of that when I called support during the week I had them look over the account to ensure no customers were double charged during this "temporary system outage" I was assured this was not the case, clearly, no one looked at this too thoroughly. I was very clear that I was new to setting up re-occurring billing and specifically asked to have these looked over. I just received an email from a customer asking about a double charge. I wish I could rate zero stars. Seriously stay away from this company.

Get expert buying tips about Online Billing and Invoicing Software delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

Horrible experience. The experience with QB Online since January, 2017 has undone the prior 30 years of experience as an Intuit QB customer. The technical team does not have accounting background thus creating accounting issues on top of IT issues. An accountant is needed to correct the problems created by the IT team. Customer service is a nightmare. Intuit has lost sight of their customer base with this product. Worst part is that once enrolled it is very difficult to figure out how to transfer your data to another accounting program. Once enrolled monthly fees continue to increase.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I have used Quickbooks for years and it has just gotten too pricey for a small business like mine. I switched a few years ago to the online version to avoid the annual required upgrade fees. I have another system for the main functions of my business. The only option I use above the basic "Start Simple" plan is the preparation and sending of 1099s. The only way to get this feature is "Plus" subscription for now $60 a month! Thank you Intuit. This is the push I needed to start evaluating other platforms such as Freshbooks and Billy. My CPA has been telling me for some time that is was a mistake to switch to the online version of Quick books, so he will be happy with the change.

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I wish I could give them 0 stars. I find it VERY hard to believe that a huge company like this could be so poorly operated. I have a long list of complaints about this service (or lack thereof)... Let's start with the fact that they have pretty much doubled the fee for online access from $18 to $35 per month. The services are NO BETTER... just twice as much money.

Next, they make it very hard to work with them on any issues. We had a client use the bank transfer feature on his invoice, he miskeyed his account info & we had no idea there was a problem with his payment because QB never sent any notification of a problem & it did not show in our merchant center. They made us wait 9 days & only notified us of a problem when I called to ask about it. Then, I had to re-enter the information with the client's ok just to have to wait another 5-7 business days for the payment to hit the bank. Meanwhile, our client has been waiting for us to order parts for him to complete the job & we are no closer to getting that done within the original time frame of 2 weeks promised to the client. Honestly... I will be taking accounting classes online & cancelling our QB services as soon as possible. Fred Pryor online seminars has some great programs available.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about QuickBooks Online Simple Start?

Original review: Sept. 1, 2018

So you know all the things that makes QB desktop great and have made it so successful over the years? Well...NONE of that is in QB online. You have to learn from scratch. Nothing works the same, it is NOT user friendly nor intuitive as to where features would normally be and is very difficult to navigate.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

Terrible experience... They will suspend your account immediately if your credit card expires and then you have to re-subscribe and re-enter your company information, etc. They double paid our employees' salaries and suspended our account until their money was received for their error. Terrible, terrible, terrible. All call centers are out of country of which you have to repeat 5 times everything so they understand, support is poor and they will never return any call or email. It's a joke... Look for a better system.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2018

I work for a CPA firm and there is not one staff person here who likes QBO. But because our clients have been duped into believing QBO is the ultimate solution for them, we have no choice but to use it on those accounts. To do even simple tasks, several steps have to be taken; information frequently gets lost and cannot be retrieved; goes offline all the time; some reports not accurate on the sums; I could go on and on about the amount of time we waste in using this program. DO NOT USE IT!

Original review: Aug. 29, 2018

#Quickbooks customer service hits the trifecta. Brutally slow (20 of 35 minutes of call on hold). Absolutely incompetent - tech has no answer for why I was logged out 20 secs after my last data entry - and it didn't save work. Tech can't find supervisor. @QuickBooksCA.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

I've been a Quickbooks user for over 10 years. I'm writing to give you a warning about the Online trial. If you sign up for a free QBO trial then you get 30 days of free usage. Then, if you don't subscribe, Quickbooks warns you that they will delete your data 3 months later. I signed up for the free trial on April 19th and spent about 20 hours entering data. Then I subscribed on July 16th, before the 3 month deadline elapsed, and received the following message:

"We're happy you've decided to continue using QuickBooks Simple Start for your company ** Company (Company ID: **). We kept your company data safe on our servers. Just log in at qbo.intuit.com and pick up where you left off." Well, I logged in today and... my data is all gone! I called tech support and got three different stories from representative "Hatim."

Story 1: They tried to convince me that I never had any data there in the first place. When I pushed back, I was put on hold for 10 minutes in order for Hatim to speak with tech support. Story 2: Hatim comes back from speaking with tech support and says they see that there was a bunch of data there. But now it's gone. Forever. And they understand that I'm disappointed. I demand to speak with a manager and get some compensation for my lost data and time. Answer: "We understand you are disappointed." I don't care whether you understand or not, I need my data and I need to speak with a manager. I get put on hold for another 10 minutes.

Story 3: Hatim is back. He's been speaking with tech support. There is "some kind of a glitch or something." He says they will call me back within one business day with "positive news." Bottom line: Spent 45 minutes with tech support getting the runaround from the call center representative. Zero accountability or ownership taken by the company. Trying to blame me for a catastrophic failure on their end. I will update here with what happens next.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

We were using Quickbooks Enterprise, but our company outgrew it. We found a good online software for our inventory and sales, and we needed an online accounting software package to integrate with. Quickbooks online seemed the logical choice. BAD IDEA! We lost so much basic accounting functionality that I feel like I went back to the stone ages. Accounts Payable - I now have to manually calculate and enter purchase discounts. It does not do anything with dating terms such as 1% 10 net 30. Accounts Receivable - Again no dating terms or discounts. Also I cannot change the formatting of the statements, and the address that prints on the statement does not fit in a standard window envelope! Also, no capability to calculate finance charges on past due invoices. I now do all that manually.

Assigning payments to specific invoices is more difficult than before. When credit are involved, I have to manually calculate the amount left to pay and enter it. I do a lot more work just doing my regular daily tasks. If were weren't tied to Quickbooks Online because of our other software, I would not ever use it. I don't understand why the desktop software can't be put online and no one at Quickbooks has any answers as to when the basic functionality of online will be as we all expected coming from the desktop version.

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

I have been using QBO for 4 plus years. I am officially sick of it! So glad to have found this site and see that I am not the only one having issues. I have been on the phone with customer service no less than 30 times over the last six months. I can't even tell how poor their service has been. Occasionally I'll get someone who actually knows how to "fix" an issue, but mostly it's a lot of hold time and let me go talk to someone who actually knows what to do.

Recently (this started 2 weeks ago!!!) I called because I was unable to send my clients a statement showing progress payments as I have been doing since I started with QBO. Out of the blue I was receiving error codes. Error codes for something I've been doing years, almost daily. I called... again. I was told they are aware of the issue and would have a resolution soon. A few of my clients have asked what is up with the statements being sent now. I have to explain that it's a QB issue. It's actually embarrassing to me to send out the statements... when I'm even able to? Fast forward to today. Same issue, another call.

Customer agent acknowledges there's an issue. Puts me on hold for 10 plus minutes only to come back and tell me he's sorry, but there is no solution at this time. He took my phone # and told me he would call me when it is resolved. My response: "I'm a betting man and I'll bet you $20 right now I never hear from you." He did not take that bet and I requested he also send me email confirmation of this issue. He said he would. I have yet to receive that email, but it has only been 10 minutes.

Immediately after that call I searched Quickbooks online reviews. I was blown away to see 4 and 5 stars all over. But, that's what big money can buy. Scrolled down further and found this legit site. I'm pretty sure these are all 1 star reviews. And I'm certain would be zero if that was an option. I am about to venture into a new business. Do you know what accounting/bookkeeping software I'M NOT USING - YUP QUICKBOOKS ONLINE. I'm so vested in it with my present company that I don't know if I can stop. Will be looking into other solutions and hope to just pull the plug and start fresh.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I have used QuickBooks desktop for over 20 years. I needed to have others to be able to connect to my account. This has been a disaster!! It is the most cumbersome online system I have ever used. If you have a way not to use don't.

Original review: July 9, 2018

I have used Quickbooks Desktop since 2005 as a general contractor. In 2016 I switched to Quickbooks Online so my bookkeeper could work from home. What a disaster. In their attempt to create a product for all their clients, they left out much of their programming for contractors and several other businesses. I could not do progressive billing to my clients. It was a nightmare trying to keep track of balances. I then tried to switch back to desktop. I could not do so without upgrading to 2018 since they removed my banking. So I paid the money. Now my email isn't working out of the blue. It says to change the password. No help in doing this. I called technical support. If I want an answer, I would need to pay a one time fee of $65. They sent an email that would be "easy" to solve my problem. It was easy, but didn't solve the problem.

I have been dealing with issue after issue with this software, even contacting the president. All I hear is they are working on resolving issues. They aren't. I would like a company that I can call or even chat to get an issue resolved. I don't want to spend hours working around a software issue while shelling out money for the product. My option is to again switch to a totally different product. This company is seasoned enough to know how to improve its product without all of these problems that go on for years.

Original review: July 3, 2018

QuickBooks switched to subscription based software, if you don't pay the ridiculous amount of fees and annual increases of subscription fees, you'll be locked out and unable to access your company files until you pay the $4,000 - $5,000 subscription fee. They may offer low introductory pricing only to raise it 300% next year. Beware, they'll hold your finances hostage, better known as ransomware. Let's not even start with customer support and downtime.

Original review: June 26, 2018

This program is one of the worst if not worst programs I have ever had to deal with!!! it feels like they went back 30 years in technology. Nothing is easy about this program!! Everything is additional steps compared to the desktop. Difficult to maneuver around it. Cannot have more than 1 window at a time. Shortcut keystrokes are minimal and more complicated than desktop. Cannot unreconcile a bank statement with a click on a button. You have to unclear each transaction one at a time. Reconciliations are more difficult. Downloads from the bank are more complicated and confusing. Difficult to make changes. Service is awful. I can go on and on.

Quickbooks is pushing this as they charge a monthly fee where when you buy the desktop version is a flat fee and you do not need to upgrade for 3 years. Huge money maker for them as they charge a monthly fee where the desktop version is good for 3 years. Quickbooks Premier is an excellent program considering the cost of it. I would rather use Peachtree than the online version any day!!! Wish I could give this negative stars!!!

Original review: June 21, 2018

As a small business, I have three bank accounts. Because QB no longer makes QB for Mac, I must use QB online. What a joke. The system is not user friendly. You cannot write multiple checks and print multiple checks, you must write one at a time and print one at a time. It's like QB online added 6 new steps to what use to be a simple two-step process and fairly intuitive. Now you need a PhD in rocket science. Their customer service people are poorly trained -- oh, except the people taking your money, then they are really on top of it. I hate the system. Don't get it! I'd rather do it all by hand the way I did in the cavewoman days. Really NOT User Friendly. Way too complicated. Too many bells and bling but no good functionality! QB online, in short, sucks big time. Don't waste your money or your energy if you're a small business!

Original review: June 19, 2018

After a year of maintaining our books via QBO my final verdict is NO! Don't do it. QBO might be good for Intuit but that doesn't make it good for their customers, particularly if you're a small business. Two main reasons: (a) Functionality. The desktop version is just better. It's easier to navigate. There are more functions at your fingertips. I don't do my bookkeeping on my Android device after hours and neither does our bookkeeper so I don't care if I can or not. What I do care about is that it not take me 45 minutes to figure out the new way of adding vendors or setting up payroll.

(b) Data security. Having your own data stored on your own servers: priceless. Say your small business runs into a cashflow issue during the slow months and for two months isn't able to keep up with all the bills and has to triage them and inadvertently your QBO payment gets put in the wrong pile... Or say this happens to your friend's business. How much would you (or your friend) appreciate it if Intuit held your data hostage and refused to help you access ANY of it even so that you could make your quarterly tax filing on time? I bet you would appreciate it NOT AT ALL just like me, or I mean just like my friend.

As soon as Quickbooks gives us access to OUR data again, we will cancel our QBO subscription entirely and transfer all our books to a previously paid for and wholly owned desktop version of QuickBooks and the next time we spend money on bookkeeping software, I promise you that Intuit will not get a dime of that money. Hey Intuit: Scroo U!

Original review: June 14, 2018

QuickBooks has one of the worst customer service I have ever received. When I needed help with payroll I called and they told me I would have to pay a one time fee of $89 before anyone would help me and I already subscribed to the full-service payroll. I constantly had to make the same changes because the changes never saved like they were supposed to. It automatically ran payroll and overdrafted my account. And when I tried to unsubscribe from QuickBooks it would not let me, I ended up having to email them and let them know that I am trying to cancel it.

Original review: May 22, 2018

For over 2 months I've been on multiple cases that are supposed to be fixing the issue with several banks that I have that are stating they are importing my transactions, but nothing is importing automatically. The system says it's working and it's not. I have to manually import several banks (Chase, Amex, Capital One, UFCU, Discover, BofA) with several accounts to be able to both reconcile and categorize. I'm very frustrating that after 2 months, nothing has worked and now I'm being told that I've not been added to these 'ongoing investigations' with their engineers. I'm about ready to find another service and start all over.

Original review: April 29, 2018

Just wanted to say THANK YOU!! To all of you who have written comments... sadly I've just found this site, (page 12 of my browser) and so so so wish I had found it months ago, BEFORE I talked my friend and first client into switching from Desktop to Online. Mistakenly, I only skimmed the "benefits" of Online QB, seeing that it met the requirements that I've used for over 10 years in the Desktop versions of 2008 to Enterprise. Can I just say OMG! QB Online is horrible. Knowing what to expect from the other versions, I just thought the online was going to be the same as desktop just with different wrapping paper. NOT. Every module, has some major things missing. There are so many things the other QB versions have that I love, but only one, that QB Online has that is actually of value.

You guessed it, the ability to share data remotely. I'm fairly certain that no bookkeeper has ever reviewed this product for practical use. It's a bookkeeping nightmare. The list is endless. So in short. Maybe QB should read the reviews real people who've used the product and FIX your product ASAP! So, to all you peeps thinking about changing from any version of QB, even if they don't support it anymore or add updates to your version. You're still better off using what you have, than switching. Don't!! I repeat, DON'T use QB Online!!

1st you'll be frustrated, then you'll think you're stupid and doing it wrong. It's so un-user friendly, you'll just get pissed off, realizing that you wasted the equivalent of a week's vacation, figuring out how to cram an elephant in to a carry-on bag, only to realize that... (spoiler alert) you can't. So if you found this site, Congratulations! But more importantly, take the advice of the people in these posts. They know what they're talking about. Please don't waste time, energy or money on QB online, life's too short.

Original review: April 23, 2018

I called to question a yearly charge on my account from QuickBooks payroll. I was aware that they charge a monthly fee, however, I was unaware that they also charge a yearly subscription fee of 450.00. This all in addition to buying the initial program. Now, it is time to upgrade, and after paying 450.00 in January, I have to pay once again. I was transferred 3 times, and finally got a person who somewhat explained why I was charged. However, they could not help me choose what to do next as far as upgrading. To make this experience more frustrating, the person's accent made it pretty much impossible to understand. I am so irritated after this experience. Fed up with talking to computers and people I cannot understand.

Original review: April 2, 2018

QB uploaded historical information and there was a problem with the information that was uploaded. When we tried to resolve it with them (As we could not make an adjustment to the historical information) they kept making incorrect entry after incorrect entry. This went on for three days. After this, we asked them to reverse everything that they had done and that we would just make offline adjustments as at least the base information made sense. After all their adjustments, the numbers no longer made any sense at all. Their solution at this time was, "No we can't do that, can you send us in a spreadsheet". DO NOT GET THE ONLINE version. They control it too much and when they mess it up there is no accountability!

Original review: March 23, 2018

After hours on the phone to resolve a problem with their system, the problem was not fixed. Their solution was for me to call back later and get a different rep to help. When I asked for a more experienced person, they said they can't transfer, I have to just call in. The problem is one has a problem plan on hours to resolve it, and as in my case it may not be resolved. They are very quick to collect on the 5 accounts I have with them and to raise prices.

Original review: March 16, 2018

I have been trying to use QBO for almost 2 months and it has been nothing but a disaster. I have been on the phone several times with support people and I'm there for HOURS. All support people have accents and sometimes I have known more than they did. We consider this move to online one of the biggest mistakes we ever made and are today trying to move everything back to the desktop. I've already been on the phone with a tech remoted in for 1 hour and 20 min and we are no closer than we were at the beginning of the phone call. I fear I'll have to re-create every entry that I've made rather than try to migrate the data back to the desktop version. I would never recommend this version to anyone with more than one employee and nothing but the simplest of required bookkeeping.

Original review: March 2, 2018

They have messed up my payroll withholding taxes. I wanted to cancel my subscription and requested a refund. They said they cannot and will not do so. I now have to contact the IRS and IN Dept of Revenue to straighten out my taxes that QuickBooks messed up. They had me on the phone 2hrs 33mins 17seconds to still get them wrong. I'm currently on the phone over 30 mins trying to cancel my subscription.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2018

So, QB Online did an update that toasted our saved CC info for our clients. Contacted QB Customer Support and their solution was to have our bookkeeper pull up our manual files and re-enter the correct CC info for all of our clients. When I asked if QB was going to reimburse for this, total silence. Beware!

Original review: Feb. 2, 2018

If you think QB Online is like QB Desktop, you've got a ugly surprise! It is very user UNfriendly. I've used QB Desktop for almost 20 years and I have a hard time figuring out how to navigate. Can't print reports that I'm used to from Desktop, can't print a W-3 (?), have to export some reports to Excel to print. Ugh, the list goes on and on. I work for a CPA and thankfully only one client uses Online. I would never recommend it!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

Can't trust my books - Transaction in the bank are register in duplicate. There is no documentation given really. You have to search yourself on Youtube and listen to them and hopefully they will answer your questions. The client service is long, slow and not very experience. On top of that, they don't know much about accounting. Good luck and be patient.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2018

Multiple issues. Most recently while trying to prepare 1099 forms the report failed to pick up multiple transactions and report totals completely different from detail provided. Had to spend three days researching and combining multiple reports to get correct data. According to support they were aware of the problem but could not fix it. Today trying to use authorize.net to sync transactions. Failure on QB end to process. According to telephone support hold time would be a minimum of 17 minutes. Constantly have failures that support has no clue how to fix.

QuickBooks Online Simple Start expert review by Shelley Elmblad

QuickBooks Online is developed by Intuit, a long time leader in accounting software for small- to mid-sized businesses and tax software. There’s a 30-day free trial with iOS, Android and Blackberry apps.

• How much does QuickBooks cost?: At $12.95 per month, the Simple Start version is a low-cost way to send invoices and have access to a good set of small business accounting features. If a business eventually needs more features, it’s easy to upgrade to higher versions of QuickBooks for $26.95 to $39.95 per month, and $39 per month for payroll services. To accept invoices, you need to use Intuit Merchant Services for $19.95 per month plus per transaction and other fees.

• Signing up: When you sign up for free trial, it’s strongly suggested you should add payroll service. Look for “continue without payroll” button if you’re not interested in that feature. An upgrade to a higher version for another $14 per month is required for recurring invoices.

• Grows with business: If your business grows, you can add the ability to manage and pay bills, have multiple people use QuickBooks Online simultaneously, manage payroll and add inventory management features.

• Easy to use: QuickBooks Online Simple Start is very easy to use with intuitive tabs and graphics and was designed for people who are new to online billing and invoicing and accounting in general.

• No limits: Send unlimited invoices and estimates.

• Best for: self employed, independent contractors and mobile professionals.

Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
    Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

QuickBooks Online Simple Start Company Information