3.9/5 (478 ratings)
Find a Business Services partner

Need business insurance? We got you.

See quotes from top insurers on Simply Business

Get my quote

About QuickBooks Online Simple Start

QuickBooks Online Simple Start’s intuitive tabs and graphics make it a good choice for people new to online billing, invoicing and accounting. This software is compatible with iOS and Android systems. Simple Start costs $40 a month, but discounts are available during sales. There is also a 30-day free trial.

Need business insurance? We got you.

See quotes from top insurers on Simply Business

Get my quote

QuickBooks Online Simple Start Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about QuickBooks Online Simple Start?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about QuickBooks Online Simple Start?

Original review: Dec. 1, 2022

About 1 year ago I lost the bank feed for one of my credit card accounts. I have asked for help reconnecting it repeatedly and have been blown off each time. QBO says it is on the credit card side. It is not. However, no one with any ability to help ever gets back with me. I have placed several trouble tickets and they simply clear them and say that they have resolved the issue so it looks good on their end. I am still having to enter transactions manually after 1 year of this unsatisfactory experience. They have no one that actually cares about their customers. Any other bookkeeping program would be better. I am a QB user since 2006. QB was awesome. QB customer support would actually help you figure out issues. QBO (Mint) has little to no customer support. They are getting $85.00 per month from me, but it is a huge rip off! I am looking for a better bookkeeping program.

Original review: Sept. 1, 2022

I have use QuickBooks for 9 years, I had a situation where I could not log in to quickbooks for any reason, I spoke to two tech support associates, they did everything possible to help me access the account and nothing work, get ready to believe this. They told me that I data was not longer in their system, but it does show at another location on my accountant's computer. I know my data is there because the accountant can see it and login to my account.

The second tech support told me that in order for them to change the email which they believe is the issue I needed to change my email and that I needed to complete a form and after this I was going to receive a text message on my phone to take a picture and upload my driver license. We tried this three times and did not work, they won't even allow a an upload from my photos on my cell, which could had being a solution.

The critical part of this is that I spoke to Angela and she told me that the security team was going to follow up on this, when I called after 72 hours they never noted anything on my case. I asked to the second tech named Lady why did we needed to repeat all these steps again if this was a security issue, she says we needed to do it because apparently this was a login issue. I could continue writing about this but I want to be respectful of your time. I just want to give you a suggestion: Don't trust on Intuit or Quickbooks when it comes to your accounting needs because sooner or later they will let you down. Find another accounting system that is reliable, this way you can prevent all of this aggravation, I had not choice but to give us on my case and not have access to my business data because they acted like they don't really care if you are running a business or not.

Get buying tips about Business to Business Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 22, 2022

I requested to chat with a representative to resolve an error on my account. I screen-shot the conversation so I have direct quotes. This person's name is GLIMARAY who told me, "What I can do is to connect you over to the right department that can further assist you with your concern. I can teach you how to request a call back or start a new chat from our support. Here are the steps: 1. Go to Help. 2. Click Contact Us. 3. On the box, please type your concern. 4. Follow the prompts.". Then this person LEFT THE CHAT without connecting me to a different department or letting me ask further questions. I wanted to ask which type of help to click on because there are so many options! I had already requested help and this is the response I get! It feels like a never-ending loop. Obviously I requested chat help to get connected to this person in the first place!

Original review: July 19, 2022

The customer service with QB Online is ABHORRENT and their fees are unconscionable. I am currently looking for a new company to do payroll and will be canceling my QBO Payroll subscription. When I called to get an issue resolved, the CSR I spoke to was rude and condescending. When I asked to speak to a supervisor, he told me, and I quote "I am not going to let you speak to a supervisor, I have been here for 4 years, and you don't need to speak to a supervisor". I am not even kidding.

At this point, I was so livid, I hung up and called back to speak with someone else. After being on the phone for over an hour I was finally able to speak to a supervisor who did help somewhat, but my issue is still not resolved. In order to speak to a supervisor, you need to have the CSR request a callback. According to QBO, the CSR cannot transfer a call. I find that hard to believe and I am sure that is what the CSRs are told to say. In today's day and age, how can a call not be transferred??? I was also told fees could not be waived, which is not the case, because it had been done for me in the past. I would NEVER recommend QBO to anyone. I have had issues since day one and have never been so thoroughly disgusted by a company's lack of decent customer service.

Original review: July 2, 2022

While Quickbooks is a solid booking-keeping service, I'm finding quite a few not-so-great points.

1. They are constantly trying to sell to you. Even when you already have a paid subscription. All you see are Ads and get promotional emails.

2. For those of you considering using Quick Book Checking- Don't do it. It just leads to more frustration than the 1% interest is worth. (Linking an external trusted bank account works just fine).

Quickbooks checking sounded like a good idea, because hey.. why not have everything consolidated right? Wrong. First off- You can't send money to people without first upgrading to their Bill Pay option. (A feature that comes free with other business banking accounts) Second- Your debit card gets declined continuously, and getting a hold of customer service is a pain. And when you, there is a significant lag time, making conversations difficult. I was trying to pay invoices- and I couldn't because my card was getting declined. (I had PLENTY of money in there to make these payments)

When calling Customer service, after 45 minutes on the phone with them- I had to get switched over to an actual Green Dot Bank representative. Who told me the problem was resolved, and that my card was getting declined for "Protection". Yet... no indication was made letting me know that. Normally other banks send a notification asking if you're attempting to make a transaction...Not this account. They just leave you in the dark. No notifications. No Text Messages. No email. Nothing. After I was assured that the transaction would go through again, and to try in an hour... I trusted the fact. So, now I wanted to address another issue that had yet to be resolved.

Third- I requested a formal bank letter from them in March. It's now July, and I still haven't received it. I have called in two more times, requesting this bank letter, with no solution. After calling about my card getting declined- I decided to provide my case number for this issue... And when speaking to the rep- she said "Give it two weeks". I'm like... it's been since March- it's now July 1st. I've been more than patient. Then... while on hold for a supervisor.. the call was disconnected. I beginning the process of transferring my money back over to my trusted business account (NOVO bank). And update... it's been well over 2 hours and I STILL CAN'T PAY THE INVOICE THAT I ORIGINALLY CALLED ABOUT.

Original review: June 23, 2022

Because I had trouble upgrading for the year online with Intuit, I purchased their product online thru Staples. When I received the CD in the mail and opened their case, I had to scratch off a label to get the license number and product code. In doing so part of the license number and product code scratched off with it. This was their packaging, and the case was wrapped in cellophane. So clearly this was a defect in their packaging. When I called customer support, after a 30 minute conversation their only solution was for me to call Staples and ask Staples to resolve the issue. I have never had an issue with QuickBooks before. But will definitely not be using them in the future. In the past they were always willing to resolve an issue. This is the worst customer service that I have ever received.

Original review: June 11, 2022

Unbelievable ---If there was a negative star, I would give it! I paid $50/year for QuickBooks online, and then forked out another MANY hundreds of dollars to have QuickBooks online run my payroll--NOT difficult, one employee, ME, for my sole S Corp. EXCEPT--they can't even do THAT right. Affordable care act requires employers to report cost of coverage of health plan on employees W2, box 12, code DD. Amount reported does NOT affect tax liability, as the value of the employer contribution is EXCLUDABLE from employee's income and is NON TAXABLE. But when QB online ran my payroll, they issued my W2 incorrectly, making the cost of my company-paid health care TAXABLE, and a HUGE tax liability for both ME and my company, which has now created huge penalties with EDD and interest is accruing by the minute.

After more than 50 emails ad phone calls, QB online has STILL bot corrected their incorrect W2, costing me thousands of dollars. I have been asking for a corrected W2 since December 2021, it is now almost July 2022, NO RESPONSE from QB ONline or their tax team. Can you say BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE?!? Run, don't walk, using QB online payroll has cost me thousands of dollars, and I still cannot file my personal or corporate tax returns for LAST year, because they simply do NOT respond regarding issuing a corrected W2!

Original review: June 9, 2022

QBO ONLY knows how to pop in advertisements, CONSTANTLY. You pay $1600-$2000 a year for the subscription then they BOMBARD you with advertisements! It's like playing a game....ad pop up! Oh another AD popped up! OH and don't forget about their high school dropout "engineers" that do UPDATES...that screw with the ENTIRE System, so you spend the entire day or entire weekend trying to fix your accounts so you can continue business! I SAY RUN RUN RUN FAR AWAY from QBO. I used to like it, but the advertisements cannot be stopped and they are OUT OF CONTROL!

They recently rearranged my bank accounts to put an AD IN as a BANK ACCOUNT!!! Frigged everything up. I'm not spending hours trying to fix it on 4 accounts. I'm telling you they are money hungry now and basically one big ADVERTISEMENT that they CHARGE YOU FOR!! RUN!! I am SO tired of closing out ads. I DON'T WANT TO BUY YOUR CRAP QBO, Get that through your head!!!

Original review: May 17, 2022

Excellent. We have been using QuickHR for almost 4 years and this is the most cost-effective HR software I have ever used so far. User-friendly. Easy to apply for leave. Save massive time on payroll generation. Good customer support team. Thanks.

Original review: May 13, 2022

In April 2022, we encountered hardship with this QB, 2 charges were put through and it bounced back with a fee. My colleague found out that the accnt no. wasn't changed yet. We did what they wanted us to do, fast forward after 1 month, we are still following up.

QuickBooks Online Simple Start author review by Shelley Elmblad

QuickBooks Online is developed by Intuit, a long time leader in accounting software for small- to mid-sized businesses and tax software. There’s a 30-day free trial with iOS, Android and Blackberry apps.

• How much does QuickBooks cost?: At $12.95 per month, the Simple Start version is a low-cost way to send invoices and have access to a good set of small business accounting features. If a business eventually needs more features, it’s easy to upgrade to higher versions of QuickBooks for $26.95 to $39.95 per month, and $39 per month for payroll services. To accept invoices, you need to use Intuit Merchant Services for $19.95 per month plus per transaction and other fees.

• Signing up: When you sign up for free trial, it’s strongly suggested you should add payroll service. Look for “continue without payroll” button if you’re not interested in that feature. An upgrade to a higher version for another $14 per month is required for recurring invoices.

• Grows with business: If your business grows, you can add the ability to manage and pay bills, have multiple people use QuickBooks Online simultaneously, manage payroll and add inventory management features.

• Easy to use: QuickBooks Online Simple Start is very easy to use with intuitive tabs and graphics and was designed for people who are new to online billing and invoicing and accounting in general.

• No limits: Send unlimited invoices and estimates.

by Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Advisor

Shelley Elmblad is a writer with years of experience covering small business, mobile apps, personal finance and tax software. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

QuickBooks Online Simple Start Company Information