1.07/5
  • 1 star
Based on 43 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Need an online billing service?

QuickBooks Online Simple Start

Select stars to rate your experience
    Very dissatisfied with the experience
    Dissatisfied with the experience
    Satisfied with the experience
    Happy with the experience
    Would recommend to a friend
    Last updated: Jan. 18, 2018

45 QuickBooks Online Simple Start Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
    Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

For anyone making a decision about going to QuickBooks Online (QBO), don't do it. Their reports are not accurate, the number and user-friendliness of the reports is VERY limited, there are times that their server is down, you can only have one QBO window open at a time, their support response to difficult issues is "QBO doesn't offer that", support hold times are hours not minutes. Since there are times their server is down and your data is NOT your data; it is their data; it resides on their server, not on your computer, you are dead in the water when their server is down. You will pay more and receive less than if you purchase the Desktop version and upgrade every 3 or 4 years. AND the data resides on your computer. You are not at the mercy of their server.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

I tried to purchase the online version as opposed to going to the local office supply store and paying $200++. Their system could not send me a confirmation email and without the confirmation email I could not set up my account. When I drew the company's attention to the matter they could not help me. When I asked for the order, that I had just placed, to be canceled they said that they could not cancel my order and they told me that I had to call customer service. So I called customer service and the hold time was 90 minutes long. This company's online purchasing option needs to be shut down. It is a total rip off.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

We wanted to create an account with QuickBooks essential. They wanted us to call back with a case number. I wanted to call and find out which information we have to make ready before calling them as a company owner is too busy. I waited on the phone 30 minutes. Then they didn't give any info and wanted us to call back. We called back and waited another 36 minutes. It was a conference call and lady said she needed to talk to the owner privately. It was a conference call and of course, the call ended without help. I called back again and waited 15 minutes without an answer. Finally, I decided to cancel our subscription. I wonder what we will face every time we need to call customer service once we set up everything? Better to have easier company. PS: They even don't have "We will call you back" option. Make wait you more than 1 hr.

Original review: Jan. 5, 2018

I called customer service and the woman was very friendly but would not offer any discount whatsoever even when I mentioned the 50% off stated. She said there are no discounts offered for repeat customers. I am the most upset with a company I have ever been. I will be moving my service over to a company who cares about their loyal customers. I was so happy with QB Online but will now give it the 1-star rating it deserves for raising my annual rate from $199 to $240 to $375.00 in one year. That is a 60% increase per month and you should be ashamed of treating your customers this way.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

Quickbooks Online (QBO) is great in theory, but the practice is another story. I’ve been a QuickBooks Online customer for four months now, and QuickBooks has been down for two of those months. If the software functioned properly, I would not have to spend much time going through my transactions. As it is, I spend over 20 hours a week fighting QuickBooks. Currently, you cannot match bank transactions to bills. The entire function of accounts payable is down. QuickBooks is completely useless, and on top of that a waste of your time. I might as well not have touched QuickBooks at all because I’m right back where I started. You have to spend over an hour on hold waiting for customer service to answer your call. When they finally do answer, they acknowledge the issue, apologize, then say that they don’t know when it will be fixed, but there’s nothing to do but wait until they fix it.

I am a couple hundred dollars poorer and a couple of months behind because of QuickBooks. I’m a veteran user of the desktop version of QuickBooks, but Intuit should separate themselves from this ** show. Worst product and customer service. I wouldn’t go back to the desktop version now because of how I was treated at QuickBooks online. I have talked to dozens of people who have given up on QuickBooks, and I’m one of them now. I plan on telling everyone who will listen to me that QuickBooks online is a huge waste of time and money. If they can’t get the basics to function, I’m guessing that their security is also subpar. SAVE YOURSELF!! Go with any other accounting software. Intuit has gotten so big that it doesn’t care that they’ve become terrible.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about QuickBooks Online Simple Start?

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

We've been using the Online version for 1.5 years, with no problems and actually liked the ease of use. Then suddenly a message appeared that our company will be deleted Dec 2018. After numerous unsuccessful conversations with your company, the issue still isn't fixed and we can not access our information - bills, invoices, payroll, NOTHING! We have been told it could take up to 30 days to figure out as no one at your organization can help us, Really?

We cannot run a company with no accounting software! We need immediate assistance and none is being offered. If this lackadaisical attitude is the norm, people need to be made aware and make an informed decision on using your program. It's been 2 weeks and this is completely UNACCEPTABLE! Brett in Utah has been the only one that has been helpful. He is the only person that seems to understand our urgency and is trying to help but has been unable to figure out the issue. John-John and Brain, managers from the Florida office have been, to put it kindly, useless! BEWARE of this program and overall incompetent customer service and management.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2017

I found that QuickBooks Online has proven to be a subpar that missed the mark of both ease of use and comparable desktop capabilities. With that said, the continuous marketing of this system to the public is negligent at best on the companies part. I believe the company needs to turn its attention back to improving QuickBooks Desktop. Continuing to mislead customers is neither responsible nor sustainable, I would hope that the company would find its way soon.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

What is happening to QBO? There are many frustrating issues they are in complete denial of. Namely, very slow to load, blaming the customer. It's how the pages load that make it slow, not our internet service. Why does the invoice repeat the customer’s name every time you modify the receipt or invoice? You can't remove it without it re-appearing again. Whatever is happening with them, they are not being up front at all. Except when it's time to pay the bill. They know how to be straightforward about that. Very disappointing.

Original review: Sept. 27, 2017

I have used QB online for 10 months and it is a nightmare. Cannot even print a check with invoice payment information. Sign in is inconsistent. Cannot charge late fees automatically - only a manual event. This program brings you back to the stone ages.

Original review: Sept. 18, 2017

We signed up and the migration was horrific. There were invoices that were missing in the migration and when I advised QBO the answer I received was, "How do you know?" Are you kidding!!! There is no responsibility on their part. There is no way I will have CRA come after me for their mistakes. I also signed up for payroll however never worked from day 1 but they still charged me even after I have had several complaints about it. Their best solution was for me to do payroll manually until they could find the fix for it. I don't have that kind of time when you are controller for three companies. I'm very disappointed not only with the product but with their service also. They claim they call you but I'm generally not in the office at 2 am EST. Seriously think about this.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

It is nearly impossible to get a resolution in under 1 hour and making at least 3 - 4 calls. The calls are answered in the Philippines and while they are very nice they have no idea how to help you. It's so annoying. I'm looking for a different solution for my payroll.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2017

We couldn't get client payment processed, called over 7 times, lots of transfers, convenient dropped calls, different explanations every time. Calls go to India, they can't provide reason why payment wasn't processed, can't disclose reason, another, info was entered incorrect, another, won't work with that brand of card reader (now won't work anymore), etc. Ask to be transfer to a supervisor, they dropped my call again.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

Quickbooks takes WAY TOO long for any and ALL updates and costs MUCH too much. ZERO value for the money! I have been waiting for an entire month, for one simple update, our state has increased the state's withholding amount. Not too difficult, right? Except these guys have it locked into a field that I cannot edit myself. I have to create a separate deduction to withhold the right amount while waiting for the UNprofessional "professionals" to do that ONE job I pay them for! DO NOT buy Quickbooks, if you are not already locked in! Your money is ever so much better spent elsewhere.

Original review: July 31, 2017

Quickbooks online has got to be the worst. It's extremely difficult to navigate, but once you get that down, it is extremely time consuming to make adjustments for your client. It stops working all together it seems any time after 5. I hate hate hate QuickBooks Online and most likely will not accept any new client that uses the online version. If you delete a vendor, it's gone forever. If you have issues with AR/AP accounts, not possible to correct. If you need S Corp shareholder health insurance reported correctly on your W2s, forget it. If you need year to date info to run an estimate for quarterly tax payment, QuickBooks Online is as useless to find the necessary information. It's a nightmare. I plan to sell desktop version to any client using online or contemplating collecting same monthly fee that Intuit collects just because it waste so much of my time.

Original review: July 19, 2017

Don't rely on QuickBooks for your payroll. Unless you've got a VERY straightforward payroll (there are ALWAYS exceptions so beware!), there are many things missing or they're just unable to do it and seemingly shrug their shoulders or laugh... and the answer always is they'll put in a case for it. The vacation accrual is WRONG. They say it's calculated on HOURS (which it should NOT be), but THAT's not even correct because the vacation calculation should include (as per CRA) STAT hours but it does not. Also, if you have someone who should not pay tax, it's a MANUAL adjustment every time. WHATTT? Don't waste your time with QuickBooks Online. Just awful.

Original review: June 10, 2017

My company has been using QBO for at least five years. It was difficult at first to use a watered-down version of the desktop application, but all partners are in different parts of the country and we gave up function for accessibility. This has been the biggest mistake our company has ever made. Each update (forced upon you) is a nightmare as simple functionality dwindles with each one. For example: today I am prepping to pay my vendors for projects completed. I have five invoices to enter, 10 to double check for entry errors, and three to simply adjust due dates. This should have taken me about 20 minutes. Took me hours. I clicked on the vendor register, a tough thing to find as they have recently buried the vendor register more than three clicks away from where it used to be five days ago.

Once I get to the specific vendor record, there's no due date column, but then I didn't expect it to be there - THAT helpful information was removed about five updates ago. I click on the option to add the due date column to the register, something you have to do each time you click into a vendor register because the columns reset if you move to another vendor record (A myriad of more patient users have asked: Can this be fixed? The QBO experts poetically respond, and I quote: "Nope!").

Persisting, I tick the box to add the "due date" column. The column briefly appears, VERY narrow, but then is gone. I repeat and get the same. It bounces in and I see it, but it's gone in one second. Yes, you understand me: the OPTION to add the column is supposed to be there, but it just doesn't work. At first I thought it was a browser issue, but I discover the error occurs in each browser (And get used to the fact that no browser works consistently, so you will have to be in Edge to work in vendors - but move to Chrome for bank recs. Firefox works best to cut checks. Oh! and don't forget to clear your cache often!). Seriously, I have just been trying to edit or enter 17 invoices - that's it. This is merely an example of the greater dysfunction of this program. Can ANYONE recommend a different online accounting program?

Please - save yourself - do not under any circumstances use Quick Books Online. Buy the real desktop product if you must but you just cannot count on the online program to work consistently each time you log in.

Original review: June 6, 2017

I mistakenly signed up for a three year contract with QuickBooks payroll after using this for one week. I found out this was not a fit for us. Now QuickBooks will not let me cancel without paying a $199 early termination fee. No consideration given. Very disappointed in this company. They would rather make $200 than have a satisfied customer. Lousy customer service.

Original review: May 23, 2017

Please count me in for a class action! Their software is SO bad. Forget about being Quebec payroll compliant. It is not. You'll fight to get your numbers right. Making the payments is hell. Don't sync your bank account, it'll only pull weird transactions in your accounting. Forget about the payroll globally, the support clerk JUST told me and I quote "The Vacation Pay in QuickBooks Online is still under development and improvement. So that's why we suggest to track it manually and we can then enter the correct balances for you". Wait... I've been entering data for payroll for a year in this and it is not ready to deal with my numbers? Wah, the money I pay every month is NOT in development. It is REAL money! And the time I put in to enter my info is not in development either! It is REAL time!

Seriously, you can't manage the data the way you want. Some transactions can't be deleted or reversed. Don't get me started on reports. My dear lord, reports are carved in stone and dug in crypts. So much data is missing from them. Really, the interface is looking great, the images they make of their software is amazing, you look at all this and you drool... But this is only siren call.... Don't listen to the song, don't get caught, don't enter the lagoon! Go back to Excel or hardcover journals... You'll feel better in the long run. I am so unhappy, deceived. I can't even export my data from there... They only export to Excel in flat format... Unusable.

Original review: May 17, 2017

I am reading the multiple reviews of this product and have experienced the same thing. I have been using QuickBooks online for six months... It was working fine up until April when my bank changed their web address. I contacted QuickBooks to go through the address change with me so that the transition would be seamless... Needless to say... Countless hours and NINE tech reps and multiple case and escalation numbers... The bank account is still not communicating and transactions are duplicated... And then in the process of trying to fix that issue, a new problems has been created with the reconciliation of my AMX. Both accounts are hopelessly screwed up and no hope for a profit/loss sheet right now.

What really tipped me over was after exhibiting much patience through this whole process and after the 8th call with a different tech I asked for a supervisor, which I did get. She was hopelessly condescending, could not care less... And took no accountability. She claimed she was unable to give me a direct line to reach her to talk to her directly as I tried to process through their "Next solution". She was not even willing to send me an email from her address detailing instructions so I would have it in writing... I did receive a generic email address with instructions that I have not tried yet and to be honest am scared to do so for fear it will make things even worse (If that is possible). I will be researching other vendors in hopes that they are compatible with my POS so that I can drop this company.

Original review: May 15, 2017

There is no backup for QuickBooks Online. They say they are backing up your data but what good is that if they can't restore your backup. Seriously - they can't restore your information from a backup. Any good systems person knows that users make mistakes and you need to be able to restore from your backup systems especially if you are going to be making any major changes or updates to your data. Also, the support of the online system is woefully inadequate. The helpdesk people consistently will tell you to delete transactions to solve problems. We were told for nearly every import problem we had to delete transactions. That is not how you solve a problem. And it can highly compromise your data! STAY FAR AWAY from QuickBooks Online. Purchased via TechSoup.

Original review: May 12, 2017

Actually, I really like QB online... however, it is still a real headache. The concept is great, however, the implementation as of this date ain't so great. I have had numerous double entries of deposits and wild categorizing of expenses so that reports are less than meaningful. My general experience as a "bookkeeper" is slim, so I always thought it was me. I stumbled on this site trying to find out if I was the only one with problems. Customer support has improved 100%, but now and then I do get an agent that knows less than I do.

Original review: May 8, 2017

I read all the reviews but decided to go ahead anyway. As QuickBooks Pro desktop user, I thought going online would be practical for my type of business. I spent 3 weeks with technical support (the team in India was good) to set up my business properly. Today, someone at IT support (Canada) pressed the reset button on my file to initiate payroll, erasing 3 weeks of work with no backup! I am at a loss for words.

Original review: April 13, 2017

I am a QuickBooks ProAdvisor and, unfortunately, am advising against this program. My clients have wasted thousands of dollars paying me to fix problems with this program. The worst is the bank link to QuickBooks which causes many many problems. I just hung up with tech support wasting 2 hours of my time which I have to charge the client and again no solution. I have used QuickBooks desktop PC version and highly recommend it. But the online program is a joke. Save yourself many headaches to come by NOT purchasing this product.

Original review: March 24, 2017

I never care to write reviews but Quickbooks Online has to be one of the worst products I've had the unfortunate luck of purchasing. It has so many bugs, that it's unbelievable that Intuit released the software to the public. If it was my company, I would be embarrassed and the person in charged of the release would have been fired. Stick to the Desktop version, or you will end up regretting you wasted your time transferring data to the Online version. Trying to export your Data back to the desktop version is also a horrible experience. Although the products is terrible, their customer service is above average. They do try to resolve your issues, although at the moment they have too many of them to fix.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2017

I have a horrible experience with this product. I keep sending feedback about the product. The issues are not resolved. The biggest problem with Quickbooks online is DUPLICATION of transactions. I found duplicated invoices. Can you imagine Profit and Loss report? Not mentioning HST report? Or income tax? This product should be banned because of that.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2017

Small business owner with 9 employees. I am constantly traveling, so I thought I would make the switch from QB Desktop to Online a year ago. I'll spare you the myriad of details, but after a complete year, we are still operating mostly from Desktop and duplicating all of our transactions from Online. Words can not describe the frustration: hours waiting over the phone (to re-explain to a different "Team Member") to eventually get conflicting information from complete imbeciles, the money lost, angry/frustrated clients, late payroll payments from another unexpected surprise from QBO... Do NOT waste your valuable time, risk your revenue, and strain your relationships with your clients. These folks should be severely whipped for their incompetence!

Original review: Jan. 31, 2017

QuickBooks online does not properly sync with Square. QuickBooks and Square both advertise each others "amazing" abilities to sync and make your life easier. Quite contrary it has been a nightmare and QuickBooks representatives quickly leave you hanging when you ask for help. They bounce you around, explain they are not accountants and put you on hold for countless hours. I had to tell them to look at their community forums for the countless complaints. What's most troubling is the customer service at QuickBooks they have no idea whats going on and want nothing to do with you once they do not even understand it. I have been hung up on by a rep that made me delete all of my 2016 banking transactions and could not get them back up. I call again, get someone that just blames it on Square, gives me no help but a sorry.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2016

As I write this I am 6 months into running my Thai massage business. I honestly don't know if I will ever be able to get my books straight. I have spent 200 hours trying to match my 1500 credit card massages with the deposits that Flagship Merchant Services throws into our bank account. The process is tedious for sure but the disappearance of transactions (verified in dozens of screen shares with QBO support) probably will make it all for naught. By way of background, I am completely new to running a small business and taking credit cards. I wanted to have a scheduling software/accounting interface that made the process efficient. Acuity Scheduling/QBO/Authorized.net seemed to be the fit according my web developer. So off I went.

I have been a Quicken user for over 20 years and find it an indispensable tool for my personal finances. I naturally assumed that Intuit would bring the same user friendliness to the small business arena. NOT SO!!! The cloud computing madness was pushed on me by Intuit. The major problem with their version is that when you make wholesale changes to big portions of your data you cannot do what every TS person has told us to do before undertaking a big project. Back up your data so that if things go sideways you can restore to where you started. You cannot protect yourself, and, boy, do you need to.

After reading Quickbooks for Dummies, I was a bit surprised that it is half written for accountants, whom one would think would not be in the dummy category. But it did give me the idea to hire for $300 for one hour one their accountant partners. I got Sharon ** of Redmond Accounting. After telling her I knew nothing about accounting or the software, she made sure I knew less about the software and accounting when my wallet was lightened.

So I dutifully entered all my expenses and categorized them. The part about matching the credit card transactions (by default in QBO put into Undeposited Funds) totally escaped me. I added all my Flagship deposits into my bank account, blissfully ignorant. Somehow I became aware that I needed to make sure Flagship Merchant Services was doing their job. So I called QBO who told me about matching. The person at QBO, though, said all my charges had to be moved to my bank account from Undeposited Funds. When I asked how to highlight the whole of them and move them, I was told they had to be moved one at a time. So I spent one day moving each massage and tip to the bank account.

When I noticed that my bank balance essentially doubled (minus the per transaction fee to Flagship; I have since changed to monthly fee taking, something Flagship never gave me a heads up about until 4 months into the business's start), I called QBO. I was told that I should have left the charges in Undeposited Funds and matched them to the deposits in my bank account. Guess what? Another day of moving transactions one at at time back to Undeposited Funds.

I asked for a supervisor at QBO to call me and explain why I was getting conflicting TS. I waited hours for the call they setup and it never happened. So I began matching deposits to massages from a reconciled bank account. It has been the nightmare of nightmares. I am 200 hours into three months and still not close. I think only a lawsuit will get the attention of QBO. But the last TS gave me the super secret email that will get to the "Broken Arrow" department. We shall see.

Obviously, my lack of knowledge is part of the problem. But I have tried hard to get it right. The transactions don't seem to refresh properly and seem to have disappeared. A TS guy yesterday said that we should be seeing them but weren't. Please do yourself a favor and do your books by hand. Paying $30 a month for hell is not the way to go.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2016

I sent out 200+ invoices early this morning. However, Quickbooks Payments processing center is down and none of my clients can pay their invoice. They all get a message back saying that my company isn't accepting payment at this time. This is just so unacceptable. I need this money to cover payroll and our bills. Their website just leaves a general note that says the site is down and they are trying to fix it. It's been hours and I'm starting to get worried. I'm going to find a new company to process my invoices and credit card payments. I'm a small business and can't float thousands of dollars while they get their act together. This isn't the first time this has happened. I blew off the first time thinking what are the odds of THAT happening again... and it did. GO SOMEWHERE ELSE.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2016

Worst customer service I have ever dealt with. LIES AFTER LIES AFTER LIES! Be careful when purchasing! It is a shame. The software is not bad but the customer service which you will have to deal with is horrible and can't be trusted. I have a desktop version and when I switched to a trial period of QB clouds they told me it would NOT be a problem to import the clouds file that I have been working back to my desktop version. When I decided I did not want Cloud the same person then said it is not compatible and I have to purchase the desktop 2016 version when ABSOLUTELY NOTHING was wrong with my 2013 version. When I told him to go back to listen to the recording so that he can listen to his lies he said "that is not necessary." THEY ARE HERE TO STEAL. THIS CANNOT BE LEGAL!!! I have NEVER NEVER NEVER dealt with a company sneakier and full of more lies than QuickBooks!!

QuickBooks Online Simple Start expert review by Shelley Elmblad

QuickBooks Online is developed by Intuit, a long time leader in accounting software for small- to mid-sized businesses and tax software.  At $12.95 per month, the Simple Start version is a low cost way to send invoices and have access to a good set of small business accounting features. If a business eventually needs more features, it’s easy to upgrade to higher versions of QuickBooks for  $26.95 to $39.95 per month, and $39 per month for payroll services. There’s a 30-day free trial with iOS, Android and Blackberry apps.

• No limits: Send unlimited invoices and estimates.

• Easy to use: QuickBooks Online Simple Start is very easy to use with intuitive tabs and graphics and was designed for people who are new to online billing and invoicing and accounting in general.

• Grows with business: If your business grows, you can add the ability to manage and pay bills, have multiple people use QuickBooks Online simultaneously, manage payroll and add inventory management features.

• Gateway: To accept invoices, you need to use Intuit Merchant Services for $19.95 per month plus per transaction and other fees.

• Signing up: When you sign up for free trial, it’s strongly suggested you should add payroll service. Look for “continue without payroll” button if you’re not interested in that feature. An upgrade to a higher version for another $14 per month is required for recurring invoices.

• Best for: Self Employed, independent contractors and mobile professionals.

Profile picture of Shelley Elmblad
    Shelley Elmblad

Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

QuickBooks Online Simple Start Company Information

2632 Marine Way, Mountain View
    1-800-446-8848
    quickbooks.intuit.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use