Find a Business Services partner

Help me decide

3.7/5 (121 ratings)
Find a Business Services partner

Need business insurance? We got you.

See quotes from top insurers on Simply Business

Get my quote

About QuickBooks Online Simple Start

QuickBooks Online Simple Start’s intuitive tabs and graphics make it a good choice for people new to online billing, invoicing and accounting. This software is compatible with iOS and Android systems. Simple Start costs $40 a month, but discounts are available during sales. There is also a 30-day free trial.

Need business insurance? We got you.

See quotes from top insurers on Simply Business

Get my quote

QuickBooks Online Simple Start Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about QuickBooks Online Simple Start?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about QuickBooks Online Simple Start?

Original review: Oct. 15, 2021

This company has literally taken my client's banking information and included it in my payment profile so that I can pay QuickBooks with random checking accounts that belong to other people. They. Do. Not. Care. I have spent so many hours telling and retelling. Screen sharing and recounting the problem with no fix. In addition, they have constant glitches with everything as they increase prices but make things worse. For example, I will create an invoice only to find out that it will not save or send because the button is missing. The worst part is the "process" they have for submitting problems. They keep you on the phone wasting your time while they build a case so the higher ups can decide if you are worth their time to help. I am beyond amazed that this company is not investigated.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2021

I have learned that it turns out that after an hour and 30 minutes, their whole system is designed in such a way that only customers can interact with bookkeepers so when they miss their appointments, there's literally nothing I can do. They have disconnected every number associated with their bookkeeping department for customers. They didn't even miss their appointment. I received an automated call, answered it, it hung up on me instantly and the number instantly hangs up on you again if you try to call it back. I have never given a company this much money to be this disrespected in my entire life. This has been a worse customer service experience than any other company I have ever interacted with in my entire life. EVER It took 3 attempts before I could even interact with someone with a working mic/headset.

Get buying tips about Business to Business Services delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2021

I have tried for 5 days for QB to assist doing a refund of an eCheck. Simple enough, right? We have done refunds several times before. It is a rather simple process. The problem was, myself, my accountant nor 4 different QB 'customer service' reps were able to locate the actual eCheck to refund it. My client had already started leaving negative reviews for me, and told others in my industry I wasn't giving his money back. The last lady tried VERRRRY hard. I was on the phone w/ her for 1h 47m. She was able to figure out a way to at least find it, and did a refund. And then agreed to call me back the next day at 11a for a follow-up to verify it was indeed refunded. GREAT!

Fast forward to yesterday at 11a (scheduled time). I was at my desk, ready for the call. Crickets. I get a call at 12:01p (as I was walking out the door my my lunch appt). She apologized she missed the time, and wanted to go over the transaction. I didn't have time. I was irritated because the refund had NOT posted, and had not gone through. She said she didn't have any other solutions. Ahh what?

Soooo I got upset. I wanted to speak to a manager. She informed me that her Manager was unable to actually do anything on my account, but she can 'hear' my complaint. Fine.. She came back on and said the manager will call me back within 15 minutes. 3 minutes later, TESSA calls.. She was delightful. She 'understood' my problem. I asked if she was a biz owner, to which she replied yes. So I asked if she ever had this problem, she said no. I said... "Then you don't understand. I'm at your mercy, and a client who is taking QB's lack of fixing the issue out on me."

She listened to my complaint. Then told me she can't help me. But if I wanted to 'waste her time', she would review the audio recording. I got hot. I set an appt at 11. That is when I had time. I just want them to fix the issue THEY have. I told her "you aren't going to help are you?!?" Then she left 15-20 seconds of open air. I asked if she was there. She said she didn't want to interrupt me. She would not give me an answer on what to do. She then came up with excuses. When I asked for contact info for her boss, she said I can't talk to them. I said, I never asked to speak to them. An email would be fine. She said, "You can't 'communicate' with them."

She told me that my callback at 11 was just as a "good faith". That the customer service rep was only a tier 1, and that she had answered another call 3 minutes before 11, and didn't know she'd get stuck on a call. She also said since I was so busy and my time is so valuable, maybe I should have an employee take care of the issue. She also asked me why I didn't just file for an appt online, because sometimes that bypasses the other tier. Soooo long story short... I'm supposed to know WTH the different tiers are, and not expect a call at 11. I set a time. I DON'T KNOW WHAT SOMEONE'S POSITION IS! I HAD AN APPT SET. I don't know the difference between online appt vs them calling me.

Long story short, I know QB could give a RA about me leaving. I am only a few $G a year. But I won't support QB, because they don't have people who can help, and they not only employ a horrible manager, but they put her in Customer Service Management. SOOOO I ended up just getting the client to agree to send $ back if the refund goes through, and I sent him an overnighted cashier's check. Thanks QB!!! SO... Who do we move to? Suggestions? Does QB info swap over easily?

I do:
    Payroll
    Invoicing
    Reoccurring Invoicing
    Accounting

Merchant Processing

Any help is appreciated.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2021

They create bugs on their already expensive software on purpose, when you finally get to chat with a representative they will tell you that they can only help you if you enroll to a subscription annual plan for $70. There are hundreds of complaints on their own blog, no solutions unless you pay more. Once you pay for this software they got you by the balls. Used it for years until they started with this tactics since end 2019...probably a new sneak CEO. And the problem is so big that even scammers are getting into it, BE CAREFUL. Google QB help, many sites passing by QB with their name and logo etc, when you call the number, is a guy with foreigner accent asking you to take control of your PC in order to "FIX" the problem...Stay Away from QB!

Original review: July 31, 2021

Their customer service totally sucks. Try and get someone on the phone. It takes hours for simple things. Used to love Quickbooks but not anymore. Try and find a phone number online for customer service... You will not find one. If you want to buy something they are all over you.

Original review: June 28, 2021

The worst customer service I have experienced from a company. It is impossible to call them. In order to have them call you it takes an extraordinary amount of time jumping through hoops. Despite cancelling services they continue to charge me. In fact, I had to put stop payments in at my bank which cost me a total of $56. And then they started charging my credit card on file. It is an absolute nightmare. In total I have been charged $1600.00 in excess.

Original review: May 21, 2021

Do NOT use their premium payroll. It's expensive and their customer service is horrible. I spent almost 4 hours trying to get an answer to a simple question about a 941 form they filed. They kept transferring me around to various people and every single time they couldn't find the 941 form I had a question on. I had to do a screen share to show them where it was! I got disconnected three times and they never called back. They also told me that I would have to talk to the IRS at one point. I refused and told them that they were filing these forms on our behalf, they were doing the calculations so they should be able to answer my questions. I asked several times to talk to a supervisor and they wouldn't transfer me to one. They just said that they could put in a request for a supervisor to call me back in 24-48 hours! It was just unbelievable how horrible it was.

Original review: May 4, 2021

We had been using QBO for about 6 months, tracking two different vehicles independently, when suddenly that feature was pulled out from under us during an update, and moved up beyond the next paywall, which would almost double what we're already paying them to meet. Reaching a real person takes hours, and when I called about this particular issue, the person I finally spoke to confirmed the elimination of the service, and since they clearly worked for a separate customer support company and couldn't do anything else for me, they agreed with me that it was a dirty thing for QuickBooks to do, and recommended that I file feedback about it. As far as I can tell, that feedback was completely ignored.

Two weeks ago, our mileage stopped tracking altogether. We discovered this on the weekend, when we do our bi-weekly accounting, and Quickbooks offers no customer support AT ALL on weekends. When I requested a callback on Monday, I was told I could expect a call in 4 hours, which was ridiculous enough. 6 hours later, AFTER MIDNIGHT EST, I finally received a call from them, which went to my voicemail. Because I did not pick up Quickbooks' customer support call AFTER MIDNIGHT, the voicemail let me know that I would have to get back in the queue to request another callback.

I really have never felt so disrespected as a consumer. Their customer service is absolutely awful, the browser app is one of the worst I've ever used, and they will pull services out from under you with no notice and demand you pay more for them. Their unduly large market share allows them to operate like the mafia. As soon as this fiscal year is over, we're migrating to FreshBooks/MileIQ.

Original review: May 1, 2021

The QuickBooks online experience is poor. I pay for a subscription, they charge transaction fees for every transaction and they still have the audacity to continually have popup ads in their product. This has been going on for 2 years, many complaints from many customers and they keep calling them "navigational aids", yes QuickBooks we are that stupid to think they are navigational aids and not ads. Seeing an ad once or twice, no problem, however I will see it every time I log in to the platform and multiple times in the same session. It's insulting as a consumer of their service that they would continually upsell me and hugely disruptive to an already time sink of a task. There is no way to stop these ads from popping up, this is not a customer-centric company. I'm shopping for alternatives.

Original review: April 30, 2021

It is now 10:39 AM on a Friday. My employees' direct deposit is delayed, and I'm trying to find out why. The only way to contact customer service is via chat, and when I try to reach someone, I get the message "Our experts are currently offline. Please try again later." Really QuickBooks, really?! It is the middle of the morning on a week day!! You can't afford to pay one customer service rep, not one??!! You lost my business forever!

QuickBooks Online Simple Start author review by Shelley Elmblad

QuickBooks Online is developed by Intuit, a long time leader in accounting software for small- to mid-sized businesses and tax software. There’s a 30-day free trial with iOS, Android and Blackberry apps.

• How much does QuickBooks cost?: At $12.95 per month, the Simple Start version is a low-cost way to send invoices and have access to a good set of small business accounting features. If a business eventually needs more features, it’s easy to upgrade to higher versions of QuickBooks for $26.95 to $39.95 per month, and $39 per month for payroll services. To accept invoices, you need to use Intuit Merchant Services for $19.95 per month plus per transaction and other fees.

• Signing up: When you sign up for free trial, it’s strongly suggested you should add payroll service. Look for “continue without payroll” button if you’re not interested in that feature. An upgrade to a higher version for another $14 per month is required for recurring invoices.

• Grows with business: If your business grows, you can add the ability to manage and pay bills, have multiple people use QuickBooks Online simultaneously, manage payroll and add inventory management features.

• Easy to use: QuickBooks Online Simple Start is very easy to use with intuitive tabs and graphics and was designed for people who are new to online billing and invoicing and accounting in general.

• No limits: Send unlimited invoices and estimates.

by Shelley Elmblad Financial Software Contributing Editor

Shelley Elmblad is a freelance writer with years of experience covering small business, personal finance and tax software and mobile apps. Shelley’s goal is to help others choose the best software to run a small business, track personal finances and save money.

QuickBooks Online Simple Start Company Information