2.86/5

Need an online billing service?

QuickBooks Online Simple Start

Need an online billing service?

116 QuickBooks Online Simple Start Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 14, 2019

Terrible customer service from a so called manager Courtney. Cancelled a payroll subscription (after 2.5 yrs) and was still charged monthly fee after cancellation. They say you must cancel your subscription within 60 days of enrolling in order to receive a refund. Courtney states they do not give refunds after cancellation.

Original review: May 13, 2019

I called Quickbooks customer service twice to get a simple refund on a product I purchased and cancelled same day. The first time was to request the refund. They couldn't help me and suggested I argue the expense with the credit company instead. That took about an hour. Then I got on the phone, which took about an hour and a half and they said they'd refund me in 2-3 WEEKS. A month passed by and I still don't have my refund, so I contact them again. I waited THREE HOURS overall and they tell me the refund will appear on NEXT YEAR'S billing statement. Ridiculous.

Original review: May 13, 2019

You may find, as I did, that QuickBooks Online often gets 4.5 star reviews. These must be paid. There is no way in the world, if that had an experience remotely like mine, that they would have even 2 stars. Their customer service is absolutely awful. You will always wait at least 30-45 minutes to just be connected to someone. And it's not much faster if you write to someone other their "faster chat portal". You will be put on multiple holds and wait more. You will get transferred to other people, and they won't know how to help or will not be qualified to help.

If you think the chat will be better, you are wrong. They will take forever to connect. Once they do, they type as fast as I would if I was using my tongue. They will ask you all the necessary starting information (VERY SLOWLY), and then finally they will tell you that you need to call anyway. I am so grateful to God that I didn't pay for this service because I would have wanted to be paid after the awful experience I had. If you don't mind waiting for hours for problems to not get resolved, then use them. However, I wouldn't wish this service on my worst enemy.

Original review: April 30, 2019

I have been a customer of Quickbooks for several years, paying $60/month on their "plus" plan. Today, I was tricked into signing up for an "Advanced" Subscription "trial period". I had no idea I had done this. I was told I had to "upgrade" my desktop app and when I did, it apparently automatically enrolled me in "trial" of their Advanced program.

One little pop-up told me that I had 2 weeks of trial and then my plan would increase to $150/month. I called and it took a technician approximately 5 minutes to help me "undo" the switch and get back to my old plan. She said there is no opt out and that Quickbooks is forcing all of its Plus Users into the new advanced plan (apparently without their knowledge). I told her I believe this is unethical and she said they have been getting a lot of complaints. No wonder! I am now considering finding an alternative, because I don't like doing business with unethical companies. Shame on you, Quickbooks!

Original review: April 24, 2019

I've used the QB desktop product since 2002 and have been running small business computerized accounting on multiple programs on multiple platforms since 1979. Since 2005, I've forked over hundreds of dollars a year to keep ProAdvisor status and payroll options for my clients and, until QB Online, had reasonable respect for Intuit. However... When I called on behalf of a new client, their sales staff could not answer basic questions about using the QBO package in rural areas where some of my most important clients have their businesses. They seemed to have no concept of bandwidth requirements or minimum system architecture to make the package run properly without long wait times in the experience. Some of the customer complaints I've read seem like just the sorts of things that happen because of latency issues which arise in these conditions. My client decided to use QBO and I settled in for the learning curve.

If you do have the package, you are probably better running through a browser than the app. The browser approach offloads some of the work to their system rather than your CPU. Also, a discrete graphics system on your computer rather than one integrated into your CPU as happens in many lower-end computers will greatly reduce the wait time between steps as you work. Intuit doesn't help with this. QBO is loaded with eye candy and ads of various sorts which only further slow things down. I found a further lack of flexibility when trying to run some reports for a client when I discovered that you can't move items in the chart of accounts to fit a desired order. Instead, the "Help" section suggested I export to Excel and alter the output as needed. Little "gotchas" like these seem to pop up too often.

Finally, if all your data is online and something happens to their overall system, you're dead in the water. Unlike the desktop product which allows you to make backups you can actually get to, QBO doesn't go there. Over the years, Intuit seems to have adopted a business model with a focus on subscription earnings rather than the choppier income of discrete unit sales and end-of-service-life renewals. This shows up in the QBO product in some of the worst ways where glitz has been elevated and palmed off as function.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about QuickBooks Online Simple Start?

Original review: April 19, 2019

Three months ago an error occurred with my login. I simply cannot get into my accounts anymore, seriously hindering my business. Helpdesk says their back office is investigating the problem, but this has been going on for three months now!! In the meantime monthly payments get withdrawn from my credit card. Relying on cloud services with such appalling customer service could kill your business.

Original review: April 3, 2019

I've used QuickBooks Online for more than 10 years. I opened it up today and they automatically upgraded me to the most expensive plan. When I went to the settings to change the plan there is a button - downgrade. When I click on the downgrade button it forces me to call them, and over the phone they have to give you a URL to type in where you can change the plan. This is against the law. There should be an opt out button. Without having to make a phone call.

Original review: March 21, 2019

I have been using Excel as my platform for keeping track of my Self Employed and LLC expenses for a number of years. I decided to try QuickBooks self-employed thinking that I was spending too much time creating my own accounting system. What a nightmare. After downloading the product, within 24 hours I realized that it wasn't going to allow me to sort and get the separated reports of the costs I needed to separate. It will not allow you to create your own categories, and many self-employed people need to categorize things differently that QuickBooks thinks they do. There is no customer support at all for this product.

I had signed up for a 3 month trial, and the cost was pretty low to get started, but I was so frustrated that it would have been a waste of time to even trying to use the product, and the product advertising information was so minimal that I didn't feel it gave you enough information, I not only canceled, but I tried to get a refund, or at least stop the billing for the 3 month trial.

After multiple emails back and forth from "Customer Service" (and I use that term very loosely) confirming that my account was canceled, they stated that they couldn't refund any of my money. I decided that it was just a cost I was going to eat. Three months later, my credit card shows a new charge for the full amount for the product that I had canceled. I went on to my account to confirm that it was canceled, and it wouldn't let me on--it gave me a Welcome back/Resubscribe page. So QuickBooks was now going to charge me for a canceled account? The only way I finally got this billing to stop was to dispute the charge with my credit card. Don't waste your time or money with QuickBooks self-employed.

Original review: March 13, 2019

Summary: They make you to pay in order to recover corrupted data in their cloud database and they blame you for that (e.g. you keep the QuickBooks online open for too long when working - seriously?!!). Our LLC opened a company on 2017 and on 2018 we decided to go to QuickBooks online to make easy update transaction from the bank and credit card. Now, during the 2019 tax season, we are trying to create some reports and data consistency error appeared. We called support and the only solution they provided was pay them +$200 to recover data and repair the database (it increased to $500 when you call the second time - a clear indication that they just want to make you pay).

We asked how can we be responsible for the lost of the data is QuickBooks is a online based software and they said that their database it is sensitive and vulnerable to the local machine you are using. The most stupid answer I had have ever, it may happen when you keep the QuickBooks online open for long time. My advice, keep away from it although it may look nice and convenient at the beginning. From my perspective, they are professional scammers.

Original review: March 12, 2019

No need to get in to all the details of the customer service. After 13 years some CEO making millions needed more money and double our price. Trying to talk them online is like talking to a hole in the wall. Non-existence customer service and funny thing is we used this product for 13 years but our accounting firm has the same problem with them so we all are leaving for back to basic desktop accounting software. Hope the new CEO enjoys his new yacht.

QuickBooks Online Simple Start Company Information