Find a Business Services partner

Help me decide

3.8/5 (175 ratings)
Find a Business Services partner

Need business insurance? We got you.

See quotes from top insurers on Simply Business

Get my quote

About QuickBooks Online Simple Start

QuickBooks Online Simple Start’s intuitive tabs and graphics make it a good choice for people new to online billing, invoicing and accounting. This software is compatible with iOS and Android systems. Simple Start costs $40 a month, but discounts are available during sales. There is also a 30-day free trial.

Need business insurance? We got you.

See quotes from top insurers on Simply Business

Get my quote

QuickBooks Online Simple Start Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about QuickBooks Online Simple Start?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about QuickBooks Online Simple Start?

Original review: April 30, 2021

It is now 10:39 AM on a Friday. My employees' direct deposit is delayed, and I'm trying to find out why. The only way to contact customer service is via chat, and when I try to reach someone, I get the message "Our experts are currently offline. Please try again later." Really QuickBooks, really?! It is the middle of the morning on a week day!! You can't afford to pay one customer service rep, not one??!! You lost my business forever!

Original review: April 22, 2021

Do not go down the rabbit hole of QBO. It is a horrible system that will leave you wishing you had never touched it. It is constantly messing up my finances and I have spent hours and hours on chat support with no avail. Do not use QBTime either. They do not sync properly and there is no one to help you.

Original review: April 9, 2021

WORST CUSTOMER SUPPORT EVER. Signed up for QB Cash to "supposedly" get the money quicker and with less fees. They CAN'T even connect you to the SAME bank your QB is connected to for 3-5 days and thus HOLD YOUR MONEY HOSTAGE. You can't get it back out to send to your account until you receive the Debit Card and they can't cancel it without a 0-balance. They claim to "Support Small Businesses" yet this corporate giant does nothing to expedite and serve this clientele that has vendors to pay and business to do. Find a better Service provider that actually has your best interest in mind.

Original review: April 3, 2021

Can't perform simple tax functions needed. Like exempting certain employees or certain state taxes from the payroll system. It forces you to have to pay them. We are in Washington and do not have workman's comp. We have industrial insurance called L&I where half is paid by the employee and the other half by the employer. You can't set this up in the system as a liability or payroll item, there is nowhere to do this. I also needed to add some compensation that is not subject to taxation and it listed in box 14 of the W-2 but there is nowhere to add this compensation. If these things are actually possible to configure customer service does not know the answers and just keeps you in a waiting situation by telling you they are looking for the answer. I had to give up after waiting for 2 hours. I would avoid using Quickbooks Online and stick with the desktop versions where you can turn off and on certain functions and disable certain taxes.

Original review: April 1, 2021

Keeping your books is nerve racking and QB has not helped this last year. I used to like them and now their system is glitchy. My main vendor disappeared from the system. If you are a small business there are much better options than QB that are easier to use, more stable, and less expensive. I paid for a yearly subscription and I've tried multiple ways to get a refund for 2021 payment. Is trying to get a refund at this point even worth it? Again, I used to like QB. Never again.

Original review: March 31, 2021

Stay away from QBO. They have just changed charges on bank payments from customers. It use to be free & take 7 days, but with lies via email they said next day would be free with their QuickBook Cash & Envelopes account. I signed on, it was a trojan horse. The deposits were free, but it turned into a nightmare with instant payments. Once a day was much easier for my bookkeeping & I have no problem waiting 7 days so went back to old way, but wait, no more old way. Now you have to have instant or next day deposits & all are charged 1%. I have over $30k a month using QBO payment method so my QBO plan just went from about $500 per year to over $4100 a year.

To make matters worse is their training in their customer service department. I have been on the phone with them at least a dozen times since this happened. They have been from absolutely clueless at first and giving misinformation (a.k.a. Lies) on this situation to obviously only answering questions asked without giving information freely to keep their clients in a state of confusion since this started in February. I will also get varying answers to the same questions and when asked for a supervisor, was told none available or one would call me back, which never happened. 2 days ago I talked to Bobby, who told me that if I redirected my deposits back to the QuickBook Cash & Envelops account I would no longer be charged. So I went back & I am still being charged.

Today I talked to Haley in customer service. She told me that I & all other QBO users would be charged from now on 1% on all future customer bank payments and there was nothing I could do about it & would not give me to a supervisor. For those stuck & with no choice to use this POS company's bookkeeping app, know that there are some apps that can be linked with QBO that do not charge this fee, which I will be using until I find another bookkeeping app to use other than QBO.

Original review: March 5, 2021

The customer support is automated and hard to get a live agent. They charged my account without warning. I have tried numerous times to contact by phone, through the app with no help and no call back after requesting multiple times. I used to love the app but no more. I will be shopping for a new platform and will be changing merchant services asap. Avoid like the PLAGUE.

Original review: Feb. 15, 2021

Even though there is a 30 days free trial link, QuickBooks will charge you on the next day. And even if you call them 300 times and spend 500 hours on the phone, you are not getting your money back. Don’t click on the free trial link, QuickBooks is making profit on top of innocent people that believe they are actually giving a free trial. Try another system. Their customer service is terrible! In summary my experience was frustrating...

Original review: Feb. 9, 2021

Quickbooks is THE WORST. Their product is not user friendly and their customer service is the worst, they take FOREVER asking you questions that are not at all relevant and you end up wasting so much time. Do not waste your money.

Original review: Jan. 22, 2021

Used to be able to call directly for support, now you have to go to online chat where they do not understand the question asked, when they believe they do you are directed elsewhere and there is no clear indication where elsewhere is. I spent over 1.5 hours attempting to get help and finally spoke to a live person, only to be told that she could not help me edit the product/service being charged tax because she was not trained. I was not going to start the whole process over with a new chat, then attempt to find a live agent. QBO is expensive and without direct access to a live support person the cost of using this software rises rapidly.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

I've had Quickbooks Online with payroll for several years now. It started out good - if you had a problem you could get someone fast on the phone that was knowledgeable and fix it. Now you can't get anyone - I'm having a problem with my 1099s (which I have a subscription for) - when you do the online chat, they reroute you somewhere that sends you back to the original place (twice). Then when I requested a call back - they called back but couldn't help me because they were in Canada (I'm in the US). They gave me a number to call, where there is no one to help. Awful customer service!!!!

Original review: Dec. 22, 2020

This company does not back their product in any way. We had their services for years and all is fine until there is an error, no support. We recently decided to use their payroll services and that's when I couldn't keep quiet any longer. We set up the payroll service through them and after a week the service was cancelled, we didn't cancel it and they said they didn't. After 8 hours on the phone they still can't explain why it was canceled and what has to be done to correct the cancellation. Their condescending attitude doesn't help either. I don't understand how they stay in business, overall one of the worst companies to deal with ever. We are absolutely done with them.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2020

When speaking to the Sales Dept via Chat, we were given the impression that Quickbooks Online with the Payroll feature would work for us (small real estate rental LLC with over 50 rentals). The sale rep claimed his sister used it for her small real estate rental properties too. Maybe his sales pitch is true, but the product did NOT apply well to our needs. Despite setting up automatic conciliation shortcuts, the system never recognized any repeat transactions. Setting up journal entries and paying the officers never happened with Quickbooks online; not to mention importing all the properties and anything to do with them (repairs, rent roll) didn't work out so well. We had spent days importing the properties as per the instructions you can find in their help search; updating the information and details of properties into "customers" as that's what you would have to do to classify each property. What a waste of time.

The only thing that did work well was the pay wages to employees and reporting & submitting taxes/forms to the state and IRS. Customer service is via chat only-which is a pain as the reps are clueless even if you spell out everything to him/her. We ended up cancelling our services, but are now caught up in their latest email notice of closing out our FEID with the IRS. REALLY?! Why would you do that? Because we cancelled our services?! The reps are making it sooo difficult to confirm that Intuit QuickBooks is NOT going to close out our FEID with the IRS. We are still in business, just not doing business with them any longer. STAY away from QuickBooks online if you have a rental property business as their product will NOT work well for you, and if you don't want them to threaten to close out your FEID.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2020

We switched our company books from desktop to online, and since then our books have been so screwed up with double entries, mismatched transactions, inaccurate numbers, bill payments that seem to cancel or recategorize themselves. And those are just to name a few. For the price you pay a year, you would think they would spend a bit more time doing research into their own software to iron out the wrinkles before unveiling it.

The concept was probably great but the actual product is horrible. Not user friendly and can be a bit challenging even for seasoned accountants. Also when changes are made it would be great to have a heads up on it. QBO volunteered to make our FIT payment again for us even after we had just made it using our own method. Seems as if QB unlocked that feature and took it upon themselves to implement it. This put our books behind at least 7k!!!! imagine paying that to the IRS TWICE!!!! And you didn't even have to!!!!

Original review: Nov. 23, 2020

After using Quickbooks on-line for 8 years, our account was abruptly flagged and our payments were placed on hold without notice. Upon calling Quickbooks and after holding for 45 minutes I was sent to their Risk Management group, they did not state what the issue was but started asking extremely personal questions about my business and my identity. They were rude at best. I provided all the information that they asked and was told the matter will be resolved in 2 business days. 10 days later I still did not have a resolution so I called and talked to another agent at Intuit (Quickbooks parent company).

After staying on the phone for an hour, I was told they needed some more information and that they would respond in 2 days. It has been another 5 days and I still don't have a response or resolution. Quickbooks used to be a good company to use for basic business transactions but after my experience with this group, I will absolutely not use or recommend them. It seems that they got too big for small business.

Original review: Nov. 15, 2020

I agree with other reviewers when they say that there is no one available to actually speak to...only chat is available. I spent about an hour on chat and got nowhere. Transferred me twice and no one knows anything. They probably work from home and are just wasting customers’ time. This is supposedly a well known company. Don’t waste your money or your time. It isn’t worth the headache.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2020

I’ve had so many troubles with this company for the simple reason that you can’t delete your data from the QuickBooks website! I’ve called and asked to reset my data as it’s incorrect (I’ve changed my business) and they told me a) make a new account (which I don’t want to do) and b) that they physically CANT DELETE MY ACCOUNT DATA even though I’m no longer going to be using their service. It automatically deletes after 1 year if you don’t resubscribe. If you like a website which doesn’t delete important info. This is the company for you. Also to make QuickBooks work for me, I have to pay for an additional $20 a month subscription just so it integrates my stripe account. What a money grab. Stay away from this company. I wish I read the reviews earlier.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2020

I just spent 4 hours on a chat with payroll help and the problem was not resolved. QuickBooks online payroll wants to make all the payroll tax payments for you. However, they can not make the WA L & I, because it is different than what they normally do. BUT, the payroll online does not calculate the taxes properly. If you wait until the payment is due or two weeks before, you can not make an adjustment to the payment so it shows paid and it is the wrong amount. When I chatted with help, I spent 4 hours and nothing was resolved, so the books will be off.

Original review: Sept. 29, 2020

Watch out! Switched to Quickbooks Online and our customer paid our invoice through Quickbooks. What a mistake!! Now Quickbooks has held onto our money, several thousands, for over 12 days!! We need our money and we have been jumping through hoops by giving Quickbooks all the information they have requested, including cell phone bills, EIN, bank numbers, and more. They still are saying it will be several days before they can inform us when we will get out money. Our customer paid, it has been withdrawn from his account, and we don't have our money! Upon researching, Quickbooks has been known to do this, as you will see in the help/ask questions section. I hope this doesn't happen to anyone else. Beware!!

Original review: Sept. 26, 2020

I liked using the product for the most part, but unfortunately QBO customer service is incompetent to say the least. I was on monthly debit from my CC & several months ago I wanted to change the credit card on file for a new one, so I phoned in to QBO & cancelled the old card & added a new one. However they continued to debit my old Visa without me knowing & cost me $$$ in interest & fees, until Visa finally put a stop payment on their account. Upon reviewing their mistake they said they couldn't find the actual call log from the day that I called, & accepted no responsibility. They indicated I (the customer) needed to come up with the call log.

I said I wanted to activate the account with my new CC# but instead they set up a new acct, with no way at all of transferring my previous QB data to it. Useless. I then asked again for them to reinstate my original acct & they said they could do it, but for over 3 times the monthly fee. I have contacted them numerous times & they promise to have a supervisor call me, but so far nothing. Stay away, it's not worth the hassle.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2020

We are going to use an alternative to Quickbooks online. I'm tired of impossible cat and mouse games to get a hold of a customer service. Now, they are messing with our accounts, and new customer deposits. They allowed a wrongful transaction to take place without our knowledge. We are done! We will no longer be using Quickbooks. Switching ASAP.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

Our online monthly subscription keeps going up and had to downgrade twice already to keep our payment the same. Stay with your desktop version or use another product. It is hard to get used to some of the features and then end up losing them because of downgrades.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

I should have read all the complaints about the QBO payroll service before I signed up for it. I have been overall pretty happy with QB products, until I signed up for payroll services. All I have had are problems. The support team are untrained, unhelpful, and not able to fix their own mistakes. Somehow there was a glitch in their system, and when they filed my Quarterly tax they were incorrect. The State withholding and the Fed Unemployment figures were correct. The 941 was wrong and didn't use the same figures and the gross payroll figure was wrong, When I checked the payroll tax liability reports the figures were correct, but somehow that is not what was filed with the IRS. Thought everything was fine until I received an IRS notice, with fines and interest. I contacted support only to find they don't stand behind their work!!!

I have spent hours on the phone with them only to have them tell me they don't and can't and won't do amended tax forms even if they have made errors. I am out of luck. I have to figure out how to correct their mistake, and file my own amended 941x. I really feel this is an inferior product and service. I would caution anyone that is thinking about using it. Just use ADP or a reputable payroll service. I have never used payroll service that doesn't stand behind their work. Buyer beware!!!!

Original review: July 6, 2020

I have been using QB Desktop for MAC for quite sometime, before a sleazy salesman lured me into their QB Online version. I wasn't thrilled with the MAC version, so I thought it can't be worse and moved on with deal, boy was wrong! I used it for about a year until my last straw was pulled. Majority of the things that were included with my Desktop Version were unavailable and when I've started realizing how many things were missing, it was already too late, my database grew and I did not want to go through a migration process again.

Everyone who ever migrated databases knows that it is never ideal and with QB it is a total disaster. So, just now, when I finally committed myself to allocate the time and effort to migrate back to QB for MAC version, they are telling me that I need a Windows PC with a Windows QB Desktop version so I can just convert the file!!! In order for me to move back to MAC version, I need to buy a PC and a QB Desktop version JUST to convert the data file. Milking you for money doesn't even begin to cover my concern. Oh, and the option that I was missing was "projects", so I can have multiple projects under the same contractor. That option is included with their most expensive option - $150 a month. Stay away! Research any other bookkeeping software, at this point a pencil and calculator sounds a whole lot better than the Quickbooks (anyone of their product).

Original review: July 2, 2020

I had used Quicken to manage my bank accounts for 20 years and was moderately pleased until Quicken forced everyone to go to "Memberships" about a year ago. You have to buy the same program every year! They give "free access" to your data but you can't do anything with that access such as move it to a new program. Do NOT buy this program! It is an expensive trap.

Original review: June 11, 2020

I started using QuickBooks Online last year with a 50% discount promotion for 12 months. When they started charging my CC there was no discount applied.

Getting them to acknowledge the mistake was a nightmare but luckily I kept screenshots of the offer and finally (after many attempts) got a Manager to acknowledge and rectify the billing error.

A year later I refer a friend under their referral program ($100 gift card) and even though they are fully signed up I am yet to receive the gift card. I've contacted them (2x) and provided the referral's QuickBooks ID assigned when they signed up but I keep getting the run around. Why do they continue to make financial commitments but you have to fight them every step of the way to get what was promised.

My advice to anyone considering QuickBooks Online Canada is make sure you get everything in writing (and keep it as you will need it). If Customer Service and Integrity is vey important to you then they might not be the right partners for you. After another lengthy telephone attempt again today I finally received my gift card as I was writing this review but the mere fact that I had to chase them this hard to honor their offer solidifies the fact that I will no longer refer anyone to them and would also discourage anyone from dealing with QuickBooks Online Canada. I hope this helps others avoid the same pitfalls I encountered.

Original review: May 22, 2020

Purchased the Quickbooks online payroll core service. Site has frequent issues, refers you to call for assistance but the phone number is disconnected, chat services are VERY slow. Agents are chatting with far too many people at once so it takes an hour to have a simple conversation. Just a poor product with really poor customer service to back it up. Don't use them.

Original review: May 11, 2020

Stay away. They are experiencing bad cash flow during covid-19, so they are delaying customer payments to bank account. It's been 20 days and they are just playing games and holding funds because they probably loaned it out on interest.

Original review: April 21, 2020

Stay away from this company! 1. I believed their ad. 2. Subscribed. 3. 10 min later, I was declined certain feature that was included subscription while setup account. They tell me it's business reason. No more detail. 4. I want to refund. They said 'No' 5. WTF? 6. One thing you would mind before using this ** company. 7. They will ask your bank access # and account password. 8. Those you never want to share with. 9. I haven't seen this kind of ** for a while. 10. Stay away from this company. They will request your bank access # and password.

Original review: April 20, 2020

I had a business account made under a trial period. Just before the trial ended, I found a link to a discounted membership price online and decided to sign up for the membership. Initially I thought once I signed in before I entered in my credit information that it will go to the already existing account I had under the trial period but it didn't. Instead, it created a completely new account which I cancelled as I was told I can't port over to the previous account I had already made.

I was told by an agent that I will be receiving a refund the same day as it was made and cancelled the same day. I called about a week to check in and was told by another agent that, "A refund will be issued, please call back if it doesn't show up on your account." I called again today only to be informed that I will not be getting my refund, period. Lost all the trust I initially had for the company and I hope the money which I now won't be getting back would keep the company going and help come up with solutions for similar case that I had in the future.

QuickBooks Online Simple Start Company Information