TomTom Portable GPS

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Find my match

TomTom Portable GPS Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TomTom Portable GPS?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about TomTom?

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I purchased TOMTOM VIA 1530M, July 2018. Occasional use. I live in Albany, NY area. On numerous occasions it failed to direct me to specific locations. In fact, with my family in car, the device on two occasional directed me onto dirt roads that ended on private land on which warning signs were posted. Everyone including children in the vehicle were afraid. I called the company to complain. I was asked to hook the device up to my computer and TomTom rep helped update maps and reviewed my settings. I thought, okay. Through this process I was instructed to program a specific route onto the device. I did as requested.

A week later I traveled that programmed route. Halfway to the destination, with family following us, in their vehicle, the device indicated that I make an programmed turn... Off of the programmed route? I didn't. So the device then showed no route. It was night time, raining, on a secondary road. Now I had to figure it out on my own. Very difficult to read country road signs. As I neared the destination, it suddenly returned and advised me to make the turns as I made them? It was a white-knuckle drive, very anxious for all concerned.

I called a few days later to report what had happened. To end this review, all l heard over and over was that the company would investigate further. I attempted to negotiate a remedy, maybe return for different device but after 30 days of purchase you have no rights. This is a dangerous game TOMTOM is playing, people safety in balance.

I don't know if it is the device malfunctioning or deficient maps of the area or if this is deliberate attempt to gin up sales, screw things up on GPS thinking customer will buy another device from TOMTOM. I conclude TOMTOM thinks I am an idiot that is either incompetent in operating their device or I am misleading my facts for some unknown reason. Please think what you will buy. Why take a chance with the lives of your loved ones. Purchase a different GPS...

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I own 2 TomToms with lifetime maps. Just found out my older one is no longer supported by TOMTOM. It operates well but TomTom no longer supports map upgrades as advertised when I bought it. I would go with Garmin if you are considering a navigation device. I have owned Garmins in the past and have never been told by them that my device is no longer supported.

Original review: April 22, 2018

I wasted 2 hours trying to find a way to deal with the voice control not working. It says it won't work in selected country, the US. I wasn't able to find a phone number, email or anyway to contact the company. Just rerouted over and over to never-land. I bought this TomTom, Via 1350 because I had had TomTom One for over 10 years before it died and loved it. I will not buy another TomTom. I don't support companies that sell products especially with a warranty and then make it impossible to get help. Purchased in November from Amazon.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I purchased a TomTom car navigation with a lifetime update of maps. When I went to update the latest map, it wouldn't fit. Then it said, "No longer supported, but put your email address here and we will offer you 30% off a new one". I never received an email. Did it again, again, no email. I called customer support, couldn't understand their English, but I tried very hard. The person explained my device was no longer supported and my "lifetime" purchase of maps has expired. What an oxymoron! I asked for a supervisor, he said, "They won't talk to you about this". I then called back and got another rep that was extremely hard to understand.

I repeated my dilemma, she said she would send me a 25% off coupon code on a new purchase. I said, "Wait, online you offered 30% off, but I'm not getting the email." She said, "Just order it and then call me back with the reference no. And I'll give you 30% off. Or you can download a partial map on your existing nav." I was also told that I received emails telling me my device was no longer supported. Not true. I never received any emails other than new maps. Yet, I immediately received emails of my calls into the support center right away. This company should not be in business. They are deceitful and their service and offers are untruthful. I would NEVER buy a TomTom again.

Original review: March 21, 2018

Purchased the TomTom GPS largely based on the "Free Lifetime Map Updates" feature that was heavily advertised. Now that I need to update the map, TomTom says they no longer support the device and consider its "lifetime" to now be over! Maybe TomTom needs to say "Free 1 Year Map Updates" as opposed to using "Lifetime" in their statement. But then the consumer wouldn't buy their products if they were forced to be honest. TomTom advertising "Lifetime Updates" is a SCAM and they should be prosecuted for SCAMMING the public. Where is our State Attorney General and Public Service Commission? Why is TomTom still being allowed to do business in our State/Country!!! Never purchase TomTom again, and will use all available avenues to make others aware of TomTom's deceptive business practices.

Original review: Feb. 27, 2018

Two years after I bought my START 60 directly from TomTom I tried to conduct another update. However, I could not connect to MyDrive. I contacted TomTom Customer Service and they advised me to reset it to Factory Settings and charge it for 4 hrs. I did both and found out that: my battery is dead and not chargeable anymore, I cannot connect to MyDrive if battery is dead, I lost all updates I've collected over last 2 years. TomTom offered me 25% discount to buy a new device saying that replacement of battery is not recommended. I complained again to TomTom and they have not responded. That's a very poor CS and I'll never buy or recommend TomTom.

Original review: Feb. 26, 2018

Do not buy a product from this company. I purchased a TomTom GPS for my car and paid a higher price for the lifetime maps update. I just received an email telling me my GPS is now obsolete and to remain current I can buy a new device from TomTom! What a scam. I'm sure glad lifetime doesn't mean my lifetime (or my dog's for that matter). This may not be illegal, but it is certainly highly unethical. Do not believe any guarantees from TomTom, and by all means check out other GPS companies before subjecting yourself to this horrible company.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2018

I purchased a TomTom Via1505M that was supposed to have free lifetime maps. I've had it for 5 years under the best of care and I must admit it served me somewhat OK until yesterday when it lost its mind. I tried to go online and reload/update the maps to get going again but what a miserable 5 hours lost. I used the chat line and a rep contacted me by phone to address the issue and took over my computer (which I sorely kick myself for). Everything was fine with the unit but it would cost me $99.99 USD for a 5 year license or $129.99 lifetime. When I told them I had lifetime free maps I was told the maps were free - however I had to pay a software fee. Also it couldn't get a valid GPS signal. WHAT A PILE OF CRAP! I will never buy TomTom ever again and will tell everyone far and wide that they are a scam. Looking at Garmin but who knows if they are any better. I hate getting screwed over!!!

Original review: Aug. 13, 2017

Purchased a TomTom GO 6200 in Italy for use in Europe. Upon starting up the system in English language the message appeared that for this language there was no computer voice available. I tried German and Dutch with same result. How is it possible that in 2017 a Euro 400 GPS cannot function completely in English??? You have to call the service center (weekdays office hours only), make an account and then they then put the required language voice available for downloading. This is ridiculous, I have returned the system to the shop immediately and replaced by a good old Garmin.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2017

Last year I tried to update my maps using the discount code they sent me. When it didn't work they told me to buy a new device, as it came with unlimited updates. This year, when it didn't work, after 10 days of useless email suggestions, they decided that since they couldn't help me, they'd just deactivate my account. "Please be aware that once the deactivation has taken place, you will no longer be able to access the following: Any of the services you might have bought in the past. Open transactions such as repairs and orders. Your TomTom Discussions user account. It is not possible to reactivate disabled accounts. If you would like to register a new account in the future, please do so on our website www.tomtom.com." I'm now wondering if anyone can use the discounts they send out.

TomTom Portable GPS Company Information