TomTom Portable GPS

TomTom Portable GPS
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.18/5

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory and find your next vehicle on Rydeshopper.com

Find a Dealer Near You

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory and find your next vehicle on Rydeshopper.com

Find a Dealer Near You

TomTom Portable GPS Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TomTom Portable GPS?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about TomTom?

Original review: Nov. 27, 2020

My TomTom 520 Go is 1.8 years old. Light use because of the pandemic. A couple of weeks ago started to operating strangely. Couldn't perform updates, touch screen selections either didn't work or delivered blank screens. Sometimes looked like it was working then stopped working. Contacted customer support and followed their multiple suggestions - repeatedly beyond the point of recognized futility. Finally asked to send PND to repair center for an expert fix. Oh, then I learn their warranty is only 1 year. Asked about off-warranty repairs I would pay for. Reply: "Sorry we don't do that." Their final reply was: "We are sorry for your inconvenience." I am surprised they are not out of business with that attitude. Never buying any of their products again.

Original review: April 1, 2020

Although TomTom promised maps for a lifetime, they said my product was obsolete because it did not have enough storage for the new maps. I had just added a memory card with 16 GB of storage. I guess their promise of lifetime maps means nothing. ER

Get buying tips about Auto and Truck Accessories delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2020

Wow, reading all the previous reviews has been a real eye opener. I thought I was alone with my issues, but I see that many TomTom products are flawed. I've owned TomTom GPS for about 7 years. The first one's battery died, so I had to buy a new TomTom. That one got ripped off out of my car, so I bought my 3rd one, which got ripped off again, then I bought my 4th one, that was in 2018, that one lasted about a year before my TomTom went haywire, which is hard to describe. I would program a destination, then my screen would change on its own, almost like someone was remotely changing my screen, over and over, to different screen images.

I called TomTom to tell them what was happening. They acted dumb to the problem. They said they never had the problem like mine. They even denied that there was a problem then told me to upgrade, which I do about every 3 months. Problem NOT solved. They got into my computer remotely and did something that didn't work. In other words, they did nothing, except tell me to buy another one. I'm bummed. They don't back up their product, and I've had to deal with this for the last 6 months. A huge thumbs down on this product. I am now searching for another brand of GPS. No more TomTom for me, and buyer beware for those considering TomTom.

Original review: Feb. 1, 2020

I purchased a TomTom XXL with lifetime maps. Now they won't give updates because it's an older model even though it is less than 10 years old. They want me to buy a new one to get updates. They don't tell you that they decide when its lifetime is up.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2020

Let me tell you my Experience. I have a TomTom one, purchased in 2013 with a lifetime update. This morning WhiIe I was trying to update, a technician from TomTom called me for help. He broke into my computer and finally told me that my computer was infected with viruses and that my IP address had been stolen. He wanted to sell me a Systweak program at a pretty high price. When I told him that I was going to get information first from my service provider and a computer technician, he recommended that I not do it and he hung up on me. and I fnally didn’t get my maps updates.

Couple of hours after when I started my computer, it was really, really slow. I ran my disk clean up and I had spywares, malwares, missing drivers and registry issues and I'm hoping I will not get more problems like my banking. I report the situation to TomTom because on my side, I Will file a complaint for attempt phishing and hacking from TomTom. Thank you.

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

Like the others here, I was jazzed about "Lifetime Support". Today I went to get some of that only to find that updating my computer software (TomTomHome) brought the entire show to a halt. They're done with my XXL540 and I'm done with them. No support. No U.S. phone numbers, just a 20% discount for anyone wishing to "go another round". Deceive me once and we're done.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

When I purchased my TomTom, it advertized updates for life, well apparently they think I am dead, because those LIARS no longer support my TomTom. But I guess they are going out of business in any case with Google Maps and Waze. Just had to let everyone know that they cannot be TRUSTED.

Original review: Dec. 13, 2019

I purchased a TOMTOM in July of 2019. I called first and was advised that all speed limits had been updated including those that changed in August of 2018. In fact, speed limits have not been updated. Today customer service advised me that TOMTOM does not have a cartography department. I am attempting to work with TOMTOM to get this worked out; however, if appears that their game is to put you off, put you off, put you off. I would not purchase another TOMTOM product. Previously I had a Garmin with exactly the same problem... no updates. I do not know what else to do other than to inform other consumers who might purchase either a TOMTOM or a Garmin in good faith.

Original review: Nov. 2, 2019

Not fit for purpose, appalling product/software. Repeated resets, repeated downloads, repeated updates that don't work, patronising FAQs, I could go on and on but am going now to buy a Garmin, absolutely appalling product, avoid avoid avoid.

Original review: Oct. 18, 2019

The updates on my TomTom 620 have only made the device worse than how it was when I first bought it. With new updates, several settings & options stop working. In the last month, many central US highways have been blocked for trucks. For example, from Winnipeg to Chicago the GPS directs me to go through Thunder Bay, Ontario. Nearly every central highway around Chicago is blocked for trucks. Using the device at the moment is basically impossible. Three weeks ago, I got a reply from TomTom, that this roadblock issue is a known issue and that they would resolve it. It has been three weeks. Roads are still blocked. Before these problems, I was happy with the device. For the moment, I have demanded that I get my money returned, and give back the device.

TomTom author review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1991, TomTom began as an innovator and distributor of personal digital assistant (PDA) devices and now specializes in car navigation, GPS sport watches and action cameras. With offices in 35 countries around the world, TomTom offers navigable maps of over 135 countries and real-time traffic information in 52 countries.

• Dashboard vehicle navigation options: TomTom became a household name because of its portable dashboard devices. It offers devices at several price points, featuring real-time traffic information, advanced routing information, free map updates and more.

• GPS mounting options: TomTom makes it easy to find a GPS mounting system that works for your vehicle and your aesthetic preferences. It offers a universal dashboard mount that suctions to the dash, an air vent mount, a gooseneck mount that suctions to the windshield, a motorcycle mount and more.

• Maps and services: TomTom offers updated maps, safety cameras, novelty voices like television characters and more. All of its services are available to purchase and download online.

• Mobile apps: Drivers who prefer to use a smartphone for vehicle navigation but still want to take advantage of TomTom’s many features can download the TomTom GO Mobile app. The app provides offline navigation, real-time traffic information and more.

• In-dash navigation options: For consumers who want a streamlined dashboard, TomTom offers in-dash navigation systems that are available in specific new vehicle models, including Fiat 500, Fiat 500L and Dodge Ram ProMaster. In-dash navigation systems are available as an add-on feature from the manufacturer at the time of purchase.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team