Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
TomTom Portable GPS
1.19/5

Looking for auto and truck accessories?

TomTom Portable GPS

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Looking for auto and truck accessories?

140 TomTom Portable GPS Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 25, 2019

I used to be their best customer. I have spent over $1,000 on their devices over the years as I have a small delivery business. When they were the only product available they seem to work really good many years ago. However, as more and more competition has entered the market, their sales and profits have probably dropped, and so has their budget on customer support, updates, and upgrades. They are complete junk now and I will never buy another one. I bought several of them months ago and not one of them works now, updates won't upload, and I can't get a response from customer service. I feel like I've been robbed.

Original review: June 15, 2019

I have owned and used my Tom Tom GPS for about seven years. It came with lifetime updates, very important to me or no purchase. I love the functionality of the device, always there, always accurate, reasonably easy to use. However, updating the device is another matter. The biggest problem is updates take forever if I can get them to work at all. I have a very powerful Mac and high speed broadband internet yet downloads and installations are slow, in the order of one to two hours. Because of this, I doubt I would buy a Tom Tom again. I also find the internal management of storage in the device confusing. I added a 16GB card in addition to the 4GB internal memory, but I still have issues assigning storage.

Get expert buying tips about Auto and Truck Accessories delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 5, 2019

Have a TomTom GPS, that I've had for some time. It's never been up to date with road trips, no matter how many times we've updated. Had some problems with another TomTom after updating so very leery, when the latest email came in for offering a last time update. My worst fears were realized and even worse, as it is now useless, with not being able to find any satellites, at all.

Customer service gave me a link to follow and when that didn't work, they said that they couldn't fix it or help me, except to offer another unit at a discount. Can you believe it, with this being the only alternative for something that was entirely their fault? I told them that I would never buy another TOMTOM, at any price and would do this review, but they don't seem to care, about that, either, with not answering my mail. Maybe this is the way that the Dutch conduct business in general. I have since ordered a used Garmin from eBay with the latest updates. I also have an old Garmin that still works fine, but its maps are outdated. Also found another in the trash, that still works and am in the testing stage of it's capabilities, now. Story short, I'm done with TOMTOM, for good and suspect that many others are, as well, judging by the reviews!

Original review: May 5, 2019

I have a TomTom GPS device. Recently, with the 6 April rollover event, an update was required to keep the device optimally performing. TomTom actually sent out an e-mail to inform me of this event and update. Unfortunately, the update utterly failed to update, and the device is borked. The update software will not work with a Windows 64 bit operating system. It won't even install. I sent several messages to Customer Support, and failed to receive any response whatsoever other than offers of discounts on new devices. If they cannot support the existing device, what is there to entice me to buy a new one, which will obviously fail to be supported in the near future? I won't buy a new TomTom if they won't even stand by the product I have. Instead, I'll buy one that is anything other than TomTom.

I've sent one last message to Customer Service, inquiring whether they even HAVE a customer service department. If I get a satisfactory response, I will update this post. if not, you won't see any update, I will have a GPS unit from a different manufacturer, and I will continue to spread the word around the internet that TomTom is not reliable. In the event that I can't get satisfaction, I will buy a new device from ANY other manufacturer than TomTom, and continue to spread the word. Also, I hate that ConsumerAffairs forced me to give this product any rating at all. It so far does not deserve the single star that I was force to provide in order to post this review.

Original review: May 4, 2019

Had 2 TomToms. Unless you spend $$ for the updates sooner or later you lose the signal. The updates are no bargains either. I use my GPS for work going to different locations. Recently lost GPS signal so bought a Garmin GPS with free updates... Good Bye TomTom.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TomTom?

Original review: May 1, 2019

I was trying to get help with updating my device. I spoke to 4 agents and all of them - one after another hung up on me. When I asked for the manager he hung up too. This people are very rude and unprofessional. I will never buy TomTom again.

Original review: April 9, 2019

Upgraded to a GO620 from a 10 year old TomTom GPS. Only advantage of the 620 is a larger and brighter screen. The 620 has started randomly turning off on its own, and also randomly changing from 3D to 2D views. No north arrow on 3D view. The north arrow on 2D view doesn’t work correctly if heading east or westerly. 2D map always stays oriented to the north, won’t follow your direction of travel. Overall I am disappointed in the lack of features and device not working correctly. Will attempt to return unit for refund but I have had it for more than 30 days.

Original review: April 7, 2019

Will never trust TomTom again!!! Bought this unit with lifetime maps and updates. Now there is no longer support for it. What a load of crap. Very disappointed from a gps that worked so very well for me.

Original review: March 1, 2019

We were forced into the newer GO520/620 series since our lifetime map GPS was no longer supported. First the good: 1] FREE lifetime (not really, but addressed by others) maps of THE WORLD. Great for travelers. 2] 'THE' best window mount ever. 3] My Places and Record Route in the app is a nice addition. 4] Computer mapping to GPS is another great feature. WiFi is interesting.

The bad: 1] Screen is glossy, and not recessed. Glare from sun reflection early mornings and late afternoon... Very hard to see. 2] Colors are inspired by baby toy makers, to add insult to poor visibility, the screen has washed out pastel colors, and poor fonts. 3] Need to swipe the screen, previously it was 'poke'. Screen gets dirty and greasy very easily, adding to the poor readability. My previous Tomtom were very clear, bright colors, and a frosted screen that did not show finger marks. 4] VERY IMPORTANT. When wearing polarized daytime glasses, the screen is half obscured due to the plastic being polarized in the opposite wave. You have to tilt your head to the left 30+ degrees to read the screen.

5] Sound is mushy, and not crisp. Poor voice selection. More choices, but all goofy. This reflects childish designers on board. 6] Phone link is awful. Today most cars have Bluetooth phone connect, so this feature is redundant. Maybe for the basic cars, but the sound is awful, and the other party will not hear you well. Will create distraction and accident prone. Good luck... the value is in the no extra fee global maps for the next ~5 years, all else is poor.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Bought TomTom device with lifetime updates. Go to update and the company says that it no longer supports older device but you can get a discount on buying a new one. Hope this company runs itself in the ground as all the others have done due to lying. My next move is go to social media and give the public my side of being conned. Will be satisfied just to get some people not to ever buy from this company.

TomTom expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Founded in 1991, TomTom began as an innovator and distributor of personal digital assistant (PDA) devices and now specializes in car navigation, GPS sport watches and action cameras. With offices in 35 countries around the world, TomTom offers navigable maps of over 135 countries and real-time traffic information in 52 countries.

• Dashboard vehicle navigation options: TomTom became a household name because of its portable dashboard devices. It offers devices at several price points, featuring real-time traffic information, advanced routing information, free map updates and more.

• GPS mounting options: TomTom makes it easy to find a GPS mounting system that works for your vehicle and your aesthetic preferences. It offers a universal dashboard mount that suctions to the dash, an air vent mount, a gooseneck mount that suctions to the windshield, a motorcycle mount and more.

• Maps and services: TomTom offers updated maps, safety cameras, novelty voices like television characters and more. All of its services are available to purchase and download online.

• Mobile apps: Drivers who prefer to use a smartphone for vehicle navigation but still want to take advantage of TomTom’s many features can download the TomTom GO Mobile app. The app provides offline navigation, real-time traffic information and more.

• In-dash navigation options: For consumers who want a streamlined dashboard, TomTom offers in-dash navigation systems that are available in specific new vehicle models, including Fiat 500, Fiat 500L and Dodge Ram ProMaster. In-dash navigation systems are available as an add-on feature from the manufacturer at the time of purchase.

• Best for: drivers who want a vehicle navigation system, especially consumers who live in busy areas and need traffic updates.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs