Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

TomTom Portable GPS

TomTom Portable GPS
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.18/5

Looking for auto and truck accessories?

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Looking for auto and truck accessories?

TomTom Portable GPS Reviews

Original review: May 1, 2019

I was trying to get help with updating my device. I spoke to 4 agents and all of them - one after another hung up on me. When I asked for the manager he hung up too. This people are very rude and unprofessional. I will never buy TomTom again.

Original review: April 9, 2019

Upgraded to a GO620 from a 10 year old TomTom GPS. Only advantage of the 620 is a larger and brighter screen. The 620 has started randomly turning off on its own, and also randomly changing from 3D to 2D views. No north arrow on 3D view. The north arrow on 2D view doesn’t work correctly if heading east or westerly. 2D map always stays oriented to the north, won’t follow your direction of travel. Overall I am disappointed in the lack of features and device not working correctly. Will attempt to return unit for refund but I have had it for more than 30 days.

Original review: April 7, 2019

Will never trust TomTom again!!! Bought this unit with lifetime maps and updates. Now there is no longer support for it. What a load of crap. Very disappointed from a gps that worked so very well for me.

Original review: March 1, 2019

We were forced into the newer GO520/620 series since our lifetime map GPS was no longer supported. First the good: 1] FREE lifetime (not really, but addressed by others) maps of THE WORLD. Great for travelers. 2] 'THE' best window mount ever. 3] My Places and Record Route in the app is a nice addition. 4] Computer mapping to GPS is another great feature. WiFi is interesting.

The bad: 1] Screen is glossy, and not recessed. Glare from sun reflection early mornings and late afternoon... Very hard to see. 2] Colors are inspired by baby toy makers, to add insult to poor visibility, the screen has washed out pastel colors, and poor fonts. 3] Need to swipe the screen, previously it was 'poke'. Screen gets dirty and greasy very easily, adding to the poor readability. My previous Tomtom were very clear, bright colors, and a frosted screen that did not show finger marks. 4] VERY IMPORTANT. When wearing polarized daytime glasses, the screen is half obscured due to the plastic being polarized in the opposite wave. You have to tilt your head to the left 30+ degrees to read the screen.

5] Sound is mushy, and not crisp. Poor voice selection. More choices, but all goofy. This reflects childish designers on board. 6] Phone link is awful. Today most cars have Bluetooth phone connect, so this feature is redundant. Maybe for the basic cars, but the sound is awful, and the other party will not hear you well. Will create distraction and accident prone. Good luck... the value is in the no extra fee global maps for the next ~5 years, all else is poor.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2019

Bought TomTom device with lifetime updates. Go to update and the company says that it no longer supports older device but you can get a discount on buying a new one. Hope this company runs itself in the ground as all the others have done due to lying. My next move is go to social media and give the public my side of being conned. Will be satisfied just to get some people not to ever buy from this company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about TomTom?

Original review: Nov. 18, 2018

I bought a TOMTOM GO60 a few years back with lifetime maps and traffic. I hadn't used mine in quite a while but upon firing it back up, charging and updating the maps I learn that it no longer can connect to the internet through my phone. These things weren't cheap but are virtual garbage now. The updated maps aren't really updated on older models. Just go with your phone and waze. Their maps are currently being updated, support traffic and won't give you BS lip service about lifetime this lifetime that. TOMTOM and Garmin are on life support anyways.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2018

I purchased TOMTOM VIA 1530M, July 2018. Occasional use. I live in Albany, NY area. On numerous occasions it failed to direct me to specific locations. In fact, with my family in car, the device on two occasional directed me onto dirt roads that ended on private land on which warning signs were posted. Everyone including children in the vehicle were afraid. I called the company to complain. I was asked to hook the device up to my computer and TomTom rep helped update maps and reviewed my settings. I thought, okay. Through this process I was instructed to program a specific route onto the device. I did as requested.

A week later I traveled that programmed route. Halfway to the destination, with family following us, in their vehicle, the device indicated that I make an programmed turn... Off of the programmed route? I didn't. So the device then showed no route. It was night time, raining, on a secondary road. Now I had to figure it out on my own. Very difficult to read country road signs. As I neared the destination, it suddenly returned and advised me to make the turns as I made them? It was a white-knuckle drive, very anxious for all concerned.

I called a few days later to report what had happened. To end this review, all l heard over and over was that the company would investigate further. I attempted to negotiate a remedy, maybe return for different device but after 30 days of purchase you have no rights. This is a dangerous game TOMTOM is playing, people safety in balance.

I don't know if it is the device malfunctioning or deficient maps of the area or if this is deliberate attempt to gin up sales, screw things up on GPS thinking customer will buy another device from TOMTOM. I conclude TOMTOM thinks I am an idiot that is either incompetent in operating their device or I am misleading my facts for some unknown reason. Please think what you will buy. Why take a chance with the lives of your loved ones. Purchase a different GPS...

Original review: Oct. 2, 2018

I own 2 TomToms with lifetime maps. Just found out my older one is no longer supported by TOMTOM. It operates well but TomTom no longer supports map upgrades as advertised when I bought it. I would go with Garmin if you are considering a navigation device. I have owned Garmins in the past and have never been told by them that my device is no longer supported.

Original review: April 22, 2018

I wasted 2 hours trying to find a way to deal with the voice control not working. It says it won't work in selected country, the US. I wasn't able to find a phone number, email or anyway to contact the company. Just rerouted over and over to never-land. I bought this TomTom, Via 1350 because I had had TomTom One for over 10 years before it died and loved it. I will not buy another TomTom. I don't support companies that sell products especially with a warranty and then make it impossible to get help. Purchased in November from Amazon.

Original review: April 9, 2018

I purchased a TomTom car navigation with a lifetime update of maps. When I went to update the latest map, it wouldn't fit. Then it said, "No longer supported, but put your email address here and we will offer you 30% off a new one". I never received an email. Did it again, again, no email. I called customer support, couldn't understand their English, but I tried very hard. The person explained my device was no longer supported and my "lifetime" purchase of maps has expired. What an oxymoron! I asked for a supervisor, he said, "They won't talk to you about this". I then called back and got another rep that was extremely hard to understand.

I repeated my dilemma, she said she would send me a 25% off coupon code on a new purchase. I said, "Wait, online you offered 30% off, but I'm not getting the email." She said, "Just order it and then call me back with the reference no. And I'll give you 30% off. Or you can download a partial map on your existing nav." I was also told that I received emails telling me my device was no longer supported. Not true. I never received any emails other than new maps. Yet, I immediately received emails of my calls into the support center right away. This company should not be in business. They are deceitful and their service and offers are untruthful. I would NEVER buy a TomTom again.

TomTom Portable GPS Company Information