3.9/5 (161 ratings)

About Subaru Forester

The Subaru Forester is a compact crossover SUV. Read more Subaru reviews to learn about other models.

Subaru Forester Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Subaru Forester?

Original review: Aug. 22, 2019

My CVT transmission failed on my 2014 Forester. This was a known issue. The warranty was extended to 100k miles because of known failures. My car has 130,000 miles on it. They offered no discounted fee for repair ($8000). This is a car company that is trying to bill itself the "reliable" car company. Since owning the car, I have had a yearly A/C Leak (with no known cause) and my oil started burning.

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

I own a 2015 Forester. Safety and AWD get 5/5 stars. However, cheap quality materials and a major design flaw has made me want to hate this brand to the fullest. The design flaw: The right and left corners around the rear seat have a panel that's too broad to be popping out. This is a place where passengers sit. The plastic should not be there in the first place. The only reason this is an issue is because the plastic used is the worst quality I've seen in any vehicle in my entire life. It is so this and flimsy that you could push it with your pinky finger and see it pushing in the hollow space. The plastic is super thin and very cheap quality. When a passenger sits in the rear seat, the plastic pushed in and cracked. I've replaced it twice already and it broke again within a week of replacing the panel. Each time cost me $672 to replace the panels. The only solution to this is to use hard plastic that wouldn't break or be so hollow.

Another quality issue in the interior is squeaky sounds in the rear. Every part used in the interior feels as though it might just fall apart. On the exterior, braking, and poor quality bearings are an issue. A point to note is that I've never taken this car off-road even once and the bearing had to be changed. I've also changed the brakes twice at Mavis Auto. There are few other issues but I wouldn't point out yet without getting them inspected. I maintain my car properly. Changed oil every 5000 miles, cabin filter, engine air filter change, tire rotation and alignment every 10000 miles.

Original review: July 23, 2019

Just leased a 2019 Forester - nothing but problems. Got it 2 weeks ago and it’s at the Subaru service center where they said it would be three days to get a new part. NOT impressed with their quality control.

Original review: June 28, 2019

I researched Subaru before I bought one. Should have went with my gut. They settled a class action suit for oil consumption a few years back and everything I read said the issue had been fixed. NOT!! I ordered my 2016 Forester because you can't find a car with a manual transmission anymore. The first trip I took in it the oil light came on. I thought it was because coming from the factory maybe they just didn't fill it up. The next trip I was on the oil light came on again. Started an oil consumption test. The nearest Subaru dealer is a 2 hour drive from me. 1st test showed no loss of oil. Went on another trip, repeat. When I went for the last leg of yet another oil consumption test I was 100 miles short of their 1200 miles they require so they refused to do it. 3rd trip repeat! I am so sick and tired of always having to check my oil and always having to have a quart in the trunk.

The Second thing is the upholstery. I have had this car 3 years and the drivers seat upholstery is fraying in several pieces. As far as I am concerned this car is a piece of crap. I am going to trade this in for a Toyota as fast as I can. I doubt that I will get a fair trade in. I had a 1999 Toyota Tacoma up until last year and NEVER had a problem with it. Subaru sucks!!

Original review: April 24, 2019

Gear shift and electrical problems. Keys started to get stuck in the ignition after turning the car off and putting it in park. Since it is over 36,000 miles, there is no warranty coverage. Will cost $450 to fix this unbelievable problem. Headlights keep going out. It is seemingly random. Not sure how much this will cost. I tried a Subaru for its quality reputation. That has not been my experience. Thinking of trading this in before I get more weird problems.

Original review: March 19, 2019

The Eyesight team technology is a hindrance. When it works it's ok. But it fails more than it works. When in fail mode it will more allow the use of cruise control. The disable button still will not allow cruise to work. On a nice sunny afternoon ok unless the sun is somewhat in front of you. At night on black highway mottled roads, wet roads, extreme cold or when it just is off because it thinks you can't see.

Resolution response: Dec. 22, 2018

Thankfully the catalytic converter issue is now being resolved by the dealership.

Regarding the transmission, I will still like to hear from SOA.

I will update when I receive the car back.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2018

I bought a Forester XT in late 2014. I have babied this car in the hopes of keeping it forever. Only top tier gas, and regular Subaru only service with the best oil. From day one I experienced sluggish and unsteady acceleration, bucking, surging, and at high speeds engine slippage which I have complained about to the dealers with no resolution. I am aware now that these problems are widespread on my car model year.

In the past two years I have had to visit the dealer countless times for transmission leaks. While last year, Subaru of America extended warranties on the transmission to 100K miles, I have also seen an uptick on transmission problems as the car ages. At this rate, when the time the car is past warranty, the car won't have much value.

Two weeks ago, I took it in for an oil change at the local dealership (Serramonte). They again found a leak in the transmission and kept the car for a week. Upon pickup, I see they are towing the car into the lot. Apparently the car stalled on a test drive and had to be towed. They claim to have fixed the issue, and I pick up the car and the next day the engine light pops, along with Emissions and traction control lights. I take it back in to find that they want to replace the catalytic converter and oxygen sensors at full cost to yours truly.

While appalled that this all occurs within the span of 2 weeks being in their care, they have to gall to charge me for service and parts that are under their legal duty to pay. Federal law and their own warranty booklet states that defective catalytic converters and other ECM parts are covered until 80,000 miles (I have 75K at the time of writing). Now they tell me to call Subaru of America to make a case for myself.

After this most recent nightmare episode, I'm beside myself. I am truly left out to dry by my car, their dealerships, and the company that doesn't stand behind their product which has been plagued by numerous accounts of malfunctions. SOA is closed for the holidays, and I needed to vent. I'd like to hear if anyone has had similar experiences and how they got help. I'm desperate for a resolution to this car.

Original review: Dec. 19, 2018

My brother bought a 2014 Forester, which I really liked, so I bought a 2017 Forester. This car and service has been a complete disappointment. It started after my first oil change/maintenance visit. The car started to have loud vibrating noises coming from the dash and the trunk. I took it in for a second service visit. I mentioned the noise, they said they would look into it after the oil change and tire rotations. I was optimistic. After, they said they fixed the issue. 20 minutes into my drive, the noises came back. I also noticed that they did not rotate the tires, even though they assured me they did. I know this because I had a oil/grime smudge on the front passenger wheel, which was in the same location after the “rotation.” I also checked the oil. To my surprise, it was quite dirty and definitely had not been changed. I brought the car back, the service manager seemed concerned and assured me they would take care of it.

Once again, a day after driving it, the loud vibrating noises came back. At this point, I contacted corporate Subaru. They basically told me that they couldn’t do anything and that if I wanted my vehicle serviced, to take it to another location. At this point, the key fob would randomly not work, and the car battery would die. I took the car to another location. At first, it seemed like they would do a better job. They told me that they welded the columns in the trunk back together and that it was a known issue. They said they checked the battery and the key fob, that both were good.

The noises came back about a week later. The car would also randomly die and need to be jump started almost daily. During each visit, I would email corporate Subaru. They basically have done nothing. They said they would escalate this and reach out to me. It has been 2 months now and I have heard nothing from them. I have sent multiple emails requesting a call, I have tried calling many times. Each time I call, I get put on hold after asking for a manager. Each time, I wait on hold for at least 20-30 minutes and then get conveniently disconnected. I am glad Subaru’s real reputation is coming out and making people realize how bad they really are.

Original review: Oct. 30, 2018

Our 2018 Forester has numerous instances where it is difficult to start the car because of the ignition steering interlock. When this happens one has to twist the steering wheel VERY hard while turning the key. In some cases it took two people. One twisting the steering wheel; the other turning the key. Our dealer tells us "the car is working as designed". I would not recommend this vehicle.

Original review: July 4, 2018

We've dreamed of owning this car for years. It has fulfilled all our expectations. Easy to drive, many convenient features, good gas mileage, great warranty features.

Original review: July 2, 2018

2016 Subaru Forester purchased December 2015. I noticed a paint defect on hood of my Forester and was instructed to speak to the Body Shop Manager. I believe the defect existed on the car when delivered new and has only gotten worse. My fault that I didn't report it earlier. It is obvious that the defect was not caused by an external factor such as a rock chip or any other droppings. Body Shop Manager refused to remedy the problem despite the 3 year bumper to bumper warranty still being in effect (he says paint is not covered). In my opinion it should be covered since it was a defect from day one and could not be attributed to any other external factor. Joseph Subaru does not stand behind its product. I will no longer recommend Subaru or this dealer.

Original review: June 22, 2018

I bought a 2015 Subaru Forester in 2014. I now have 73,000 miles on the car, mostly highway miles. I have been happy with the car until this month. The weather hit 80+ degrees and I turned on my air conditioner. Alas, hot air came out. I took it to the Subaru dealership and when I explained the problem, I was informed that this is a "usual" thing to happen with the Foresters. After a $120.00 diagnostic workup, I was told that indeed there was a leak in the system and the job would cost about $1100.00 to fix unless I had a warranty. Alas I had one but it ended at 70,000 miles. A 2015 forester, only 3 years old should not have this problem. I no longer have faith in Subaru, sorry, this is my last one. For those of you buying a Forester, get a longer extended warranty, you will need it.

Original review: June 21, 2018

This is the second Forester I have purchased. They very reliable and rigid. We love the customer service at the dealership, love the eyesight and safety features. It gets great mileage as we travel a lot. We take it to the outer banks and the all wheel drive option is perfect. I like the heated seats, luggage rack, large sunroof, all wheel drive, great leg room both front and back, black interior a definite plus. It's large enough but not too big. I wish it had larger cargo space in the rear, interior lights, glove compartment light. Rear USB ports would be a definite plus. A bigger screen on the backup camera would be nice. Having a cargo cover included would be nice instead of purchasing separately.

Original review: June 17, 2018

I changed from an Infiniti to a Subaru Forester. I needed to save gas money with increased costs and it worked when I purchased this vehicle. I get more bang for my buck. The car handles the snow really well. And the heat works great too. The large windshield helps me see everything. But I wish the exterior and interiors were more modern and up to date with the current trends. Also, there should be more compatibility with cell phones - Bluetooth, charging ports and cell phone stands.

Original review: June 16, 2018

The Subaru Forester is one of the most reliable, if not the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned, experienced. It has been a jewel for me, traveling... home and abroad. It is a well-built vehicle. It has almost 400,000 miles on it, and is running like a champ. Knock on wood. Great fuel economy. It was given to me by a family member, who maintained it well with taking it to the same dealership she purchased from. They have been very kind to her and have made her happy in maintaining a relationship with Subaru. I will be purchasing another brand new Subaru when the opportunity arises. I will have additional transportation, yet will always keep a Subaru in my arsenal. Improve the fuel economy though because the using gas situation, is quite played-out. I would personalize the exterior of the car: customize it to add more depth, enhance the vehicle's sleekness.

Original review: June 15, 2018

I love the height the SUV gives me. Easy to park and back up cam makes it even easier. Handles smoothly and good handling in snow. All wheel drive gives me the confidence to venture out after a snowstorm. I feel safe when traveling with my children. Fold down seats are an amazing feature that makes me love the space in the car. Great trunk space but I would include netting to keep my groceries in place. Not interested in paying more for added features like sunroof or GPS but Iove my backup cam though.

Original review: June 14, 2018

When I ready to buy a new car, I'd wanted to continue with a Saturn. But they were no longer being made so I turned to Subaru because of its reputation. The way it is built includes some renewable resources. The engine design is more balanced than standard engines, which should make it run better longer. Handles the road well, gets good gas mileage, and can carry odd sized things. It's also got good safety features. The seat fit well for sitting and seeing for lane changes. But I wish there was a way to make the moon shade to pull either way to get more light but block the sun. Haven't mastered the hands free phone, but that's likely my issue than a design flaw. But overall completely satisfied with my Subaru.

Original review: June 13, 2018

My 2006 Subaru Forester is a great car with very little maintenance. It performs great on snow and ice, economical, fun to drive, very good safety rating, looks great, drives nice, smooth ride, and low repair costs. Also, high resale value and safety bags in side doors and front panels. However, it does not have an onboard computer, GPS, and WIFI connection. And it's a basic car, frame sits fairly low to the ground, wish the car sat up higher from the road.

Original review: June 12, 2018

I love my 2018 Subaru Forester. This is my second Forester bought brand new and I also owned a preowned Subaru Legacy. I prefer the Forester as I like the ground clearance and the ease of getting in and out of it. Though my Forrester does not have all the luxuries of the Legacy in the model I purchased, I feel the ride is as smooth or smoother than the Legacy and I couldn't be happier with my purchase.

I don't need a lot of fancy luxuries and was looking for safety and reliability which I know I have from past experience. I got the ground clearance I wanted and needed and the backup camera. It is Bluetooth equipped and has a cd player. Room for my dogs and the ability to hide cargo are the only other wants I really needed and they made sure I could handle the financing. I would change the light colored cloth seats though. I was unable to afford the protection package and I plan on owning this car for years so will have to purchase seat covers, at least for the immediate future.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I have owned Subarus for many years and I love my Forester. It is durable, has all wheel drive for snow in Massachusetts, it is roomy and comfortable. Most importantly I feel it is a safe car.

Original review: May 8, 2018

2009 Subaru Forester with only 35,500 miles. Constant recalls and mechanical issues. However, great customer service from the dealership. The newer models have greater mechanical reliability.

Original review: May 7, 2018

Fuel efficient, roomy, comfortable, top safety awards, low maintenance, AWD, second one I have owned, feel safe in this Subaru Forester. Bluetooth sync with phone makes for hands free driving. Easy to use touchscreen.

Original review: May 6, 2018

Subaru Forester 2017 is a great car with the safety features such as lidar, all wheel drive, etc. Great producer of these cars. The Subarus have built a following among consumers.

Original review: May 5, 2018

I have a Subaru Forester 2010 with 100,000 miles on it. I really like it for its reliability, the way it handles in snow. I wish it were another color as I have trouble finding it in parking lots, and I think the front could be better designed to hold necessaries... It is a basic model, gets about 24 mpg...and frankly, it can't be beat.

Original review: May 4, 2018

This Subaru Forester is the second new car I've bought. Wanted to buy American but had nothing but very bad luck with the T-bird I bought. I worked on night shift for 40 years and really wanted a dependable car -- this Subaru is it! The only servicing I've had done is regular maintenance and the dealership in San Rafael is outstanding and for a single woman really helped me out and guided me as to what was needed and when. So glad I bought the car. It's a 2002 and I still love it.

Original review: May 3, 2018

I got a Subaru Forester last summer. I live in a lake-effect snow belt where storms and large snow-fall is legendary. This was my first winter driving my Subaru and it was amazing. I got through piles of snow, blizzards where I was plowing snow with my vehicle on the interstate, and never got stuck. I felt very secure and wish I had always owned a Subaru.

Original review: May 2, 2018

While it is hard to beat a Subaru Forester in winter driving conditions, they are a "finicky" vehicle. Subaru almost insists that you follow their maintenance schedule which is grueling if not quite expensive.

Original review: May 1, 2018

The Subaru Forester is quiet and comfortable, holds everything we need to put into it, and gets great gas mileage. The electronics and radio controls on the console and on the steering wheel are great as well.

Original review: May 1, 2018

Subaru Outback - well-made, thrifty, roomy with excellent driving visibility. Enough power in its 4 cylinder engine to pull up to 2700 tongue weight (Forester tops out at 900 lbs). 4 cylinder is about 250 lbs. lighter than the 6 cylinder. Buy the 4 cylinder. Economy varies from 25 mpg in city winter traffic, to 39 on the open highway in summer. Great balance and traction in slippery weather conditions. Best car on ice I've ever driven. Convenient controls and smart night lighting. Excellent ground clearance and intelligent design, well executed. Kudos Subaru!

Original review: April 30, 2018

I've had this Subaru Forester for 15 years and I've loved every single minute of it. Not a single major problem. Comfortable, well equipped. When I start looking for a different car this is the one I would consider first.

Subaru Forester Company Information