3.69/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Nissan Xterra

The Nissan Xterra is a compact SUV that was discontinued in 2015. Read more Nissan reviews to learn about other models.

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Nissan Xterra Reviews

Original review: Jan. 30, 2017

In writing this review I am very upset. I bought my 2005 Nissan Xterra with high mileage as it was in great condition. It also had a two year extended warranty by the dealer. I have never used it to date. Ultimately I definitely paid a lot more than the vehicle is worth. Yesterday the transmission completely quit, vehicle was uncontrollable and there was no warning whatsoever. No check engine light came on. I could have been in a major accident. In the process of trying to troubleshoot the problem I discovered that there are major recalls on this vehicle and there was also a class action lawsuit against Nissan for the same issue my vehicle has.

Unfortunately I do not have a secondary vehicle and am missing work and I definitely don't have the money to put thousands of dollars into repairing this vehicle. I have never been notified of any recalls on this vehicle as many other Nissan Xterra buyers have not either. Now I am missing work and having to deal with this issue and can result in the possible loss of my job. This dealership never disclosed that this vehicle had so many recalls on major parts of this vehicle... They see $$$ signs first and do not care about the consumer. My advice is Don't buy a 2005 Nissan Xterra and beware of dealers who have no consideration for the consumer.

Original review: Jan. 18, 2017

I bought a used 2002 Nissan Xterra five years ago and it has been great! I've been in accidents and put many miles on it and it's still kicking at almost 300k miles! I would definitely recommend this vehicle to a friend. I have had no major repairs. Changed the battery once and keep the oil changed every 3000 miles and that's it! One bad thing is that the radio speakers stopped working after 4 years. It's last long enough so I'm not worried about getting it fixed.

Original review: Oct. 29, 2016

I am only writing this review after reading several forums searching for similar issues that I have had with this vehicle. I previously owned a 2006 Xterra, 6 speed manual trans. Never had a problem. But I traded it for a truck I liked and enjoyed that as well. My mistake was selling that truck because of hard times and no job. Well, months later I was able to get financed with a used car dealership and gave down payment on this 2002 Xterra. This was in 2012. I am still making payments.

It was overheating shortly after purchase yet the mech I took it to saw no reason. Replaced radiator cap. Drove it from North Carolina to California. Weather was cool, car continued to overheat but I learned I was able to stop, let it rest, add water. Once I arrived in California I had a first rate mechanic replace just about everything but transmission. He claimed nothing wrong with radiator. But got new fuel pump, water pump, motor mount, gaskets hoses and clamps. Probably a few more parts few months later and thousands of my retirement funds, it ran okay for a while.

I continued my journey to Nevada, December 2014. Going for an interview. As I approach the freeway 397, damned thing blows, smokes up a storms and stalls... (Did this in Cali once also, a neighbor came at me with extinguisher) One hose clamp cost me $140.00. My boyfriend replaced the radiator for me and all was cured. No SES light. No overheat. Perfect running hoopty getting me around. Now the weather changes. One morning the SES light goes on. Turns off as the day warms. A little cooler the next day light comes on and flashes. Light has remained on and will blink at certain RPMs.

Here it is 2016, almost 17, and this SUV is still a money sucking mystery with a flashing SES light (or solid). Nevada dryer, cold weather seems to trigger the knock sensor and that triggers misfire, and this makes the car shake. Oh, and a rattle. I am reading all these complaints and wondering about timing chain, coolant in the tranny, oh my gosh! I cannot put more money in this car. I don't have any. But I can say this, it was fine last week. And it does this off and on. All related to the knock sensor. So I know I will get no answers to my own car's issues. But hopefully this will help another lemon owner's stress, knowing they're not the only. Thank you for your time. P. S. I still believe in Nissan. This is my third but only problem child.

Original review: Sept. 9, 2016

I've owned 5 Jeeps, 3 Cherokee XJ's and 2 JK Wranglers. The most recent was a 2012 Rubicon. The Rubicon was my dream vehicle. Sadly it turned into a nightmare. In the first year of ownership it spent 45 days in the dealer for mechanical repairs. 2 radiators, a new heater core (required removal of entire dash), transfer case, front locker and finally left side engine head. All within the first 27K miles.

Traded the lemon that was my dream Jeep in for the PRO4X version of the Xterra with leather and navigation. Love it! Put over 30K miles on it in the first year and not a SINGLE problem. Oil changes, wiper blades and software update are it. Goes anywhere we want it to. Soft beach sand, hard packed snow, steep old gravel mining roads are all cake walks. Rear locker works like a charm. Rockford Fosgate sound system is great. I would highly recommend this vehicle to anyone. Has more power than the JK, twice the towing capacity and I can sleep in the back. See the newx.org for detailed write-ups on building your back seat camping bed for two.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2016

I have a 2001 nissan xterra and could NOT be happier with it. I am one of the few reviewers who actually uses the 4wd for off road, corn fields and pull a boat trailer and wood hauler trailer. This vehicle has been hands down the most reliable 4x4 I have owned. I have over 186,000 miles on it and bought it used with 149.945 miles on it. Replaced valve cover gaskets and one fuel injector - that's it in the 3-4 yrs I have owned it.

I am more familiar with the japanese motors and trannys and have owned a few older 90's Toyotas 4x4 pickups which where great fun and handle great off road. That being said based on the reviews on here I would not buy another xterra unless it is an older one 2000-2003 which seem to be exempt from the problems that I have found on here. The issues with the trans and coolant seem to be a manufacturing or design defect that appears a class action will remedy... it will take time people. Mine a 2001 xterra se has been great to me driven to Wisconsin pulling a boat, pulled 600-700lbs of elm tree in it with my landscape trailer, and it's my daily driver.

The issues on here seem to be year specific 2005 and newer and because of that I will not buy a newer one and appreciate the feedback that helps cement these decisions. The trans issue sounds like a doosey which is suprising because in all honesty the Japanese usually have such better quality because of such strict tolerances on their autos. Sounds like someone at Nissan has dropped the ball considerably to the point that the newer xterras should not be considered for new car buyers. I have owned chevy c-10 pickup, ford f-150 and a few Yota pickups so I have no allegiance to one or the other. The 2001 Xterra I own has been a great, fantastic suv, but other options won't keep me loyal to one or the other.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nissan Xterra?

Original review: Aug. 16, 2016

I have a 2006 Nissan Xterra SL, 4WD, no electric doors or windows. I have over 260,000 miles on it. When the time comes that it dies, I would want another just like it. I have changed tires 3X, 3 batteries, all brakes once and rear differential replaced. I have changed out 3 of the coil packs out of 6. It did develop a leak in the pipe at the firewall from the radiator - easy fix. I can't believe what a wonderful vehicle this one has been for me. I would recommend this vehicle to anyone. I'm a 63-year-old grandmother who is alone and needs dependability. I've owned many vehicles in my life, most of which didn't make it to 100,000 miles, except for a Toyota Celica that made it to 130,000. Every day that I go out to my Xterra and turn the key and it immediately starts, I am so grateful to Nissan for this vehicle.

Original review: June 17, 2016

I have a 2011 Nissan Xterra with 74k miles and I am the only owner. The vehicle has never been 4 wheeled and almost exclusively been driven on the highway. I have a grinding noise coming from the back of the vehicle. I took my vehicle to the dealer and they informed me I need a new rear axle for $2,500. The car is only 4 years old with 74k miles. In all the cars I've had in 30 years this is a first for me. No more Nissans for me. I'm going back to Honda!

Original review: April 22, 2016

The reason is the vehicle was bought in Nissan was bought used with about 24,000 miles on it. It had one other owner. It was bought in Maryland. Now the clutch need to be replaced after I have it 6 months of me driving it around town. I have a Toyota with over 57,000 miles on it which is manual. No problem. I have in the past had Ford van manual drive with 100,000 miles on it before. Clutch will not go bad after 30,000 miles unless made with bad parts. They say it not covered under warranty because it is a wear and tear issue. Do not buy Nissan used because they don't back their vehicles. It was a great vehicle while we had it. Ran great, handle well everything. The good review said you expect as the last run they would get all the bugs out and problems out.

Original review: March 17, 2016

Where do I start? I guess from the beginning. I had a 2010 Toyota Venza purchased new in 2010. Sold it with 40K in 2/1/16, never had a single issue with the Venza. Being that I'm a guy I had the great idea of selling it to CarMax so I could get me a used SUV and not have a car payments. I sold the Venza on 2/1/16 to CarMax for 15K. I purchased a 2005 Xterra 4x4 burgundy with 113K miles on it for $6,500. The car is gorgeous and is a one owner car too with all the service records from the dealer. What could go wrong? After driving 300 miles or so, my check engine light came on. I got a code related to my transmission. I looked online and I read regarding the Milkshake of Death! I was terrified and went outside to check my transmission fluid. I was done! My transmission had eaten the Milkshake of Death!

I took it to my mechanic. They replaced the Radiator and did two transmission flushes at a cost of $1,200. The car was running fine until this morning when I felt two jerks/kicks when coming to a stop. I have put only around 250 miles since the transmission flush. I'll put some Lucas transmission treatment and time will tell. If I have to replace my transmission this will cost me $3,500 to $4,500. Now I have also read regarding the timing chain. Here it goes another $1,500. Not to mention $300 to replace the fuel pump. I found one on Amazon for $150 and the mechanic will only charge me $150 to replace it. I think I'm better off repairing it and keeping it knowing that all the faults have been repaired rather than to sell it and spend 10K or more on another used SUV knowing I will probably have to spend more money on it.

Original review: Jan. 17, 2016

I have had many friends and family that have purchased Nissan products and for the most part been good cars. I had a Nissan Xterra couple years back 2004 and it performed great. I live in the mountains so having 4WD is a necessity to get around at times. My road is dirt and gravel presenting dust and rocks to cars repeatedly causes problems for anyone who is not car maintenance smart. I was happy with the performance of car and never had a problem with motor or 5 speed transmission but the front clip on car began cracking and splitting. Refused by dealer to fix due to where I lived and road conditions.

First time ever had this issue since I lived here since 94 but ok. I got some cold rolled steel and 1/8 in. steel flats and started by pulling together and welding cracks then plated and welded supports. Problem solved. It added around 100lbs weight to front but she was a tank at that point and the increased strength per weight amazed others as one night I hit a deer running 70 when seen and after hitting breaks and correcting path to no avail still hit running about 45mph. No air bag deployment found that alarming then I go out to look at damage knowing that it's probably totaled.

Amazingly it ok. Bumper was cracked but plastic what do u expect, headlight blown and lost two KC lights. As far as the hood, fenders, and other body metal items at most small dents. All the welding and reinforcing I applied to support weight of body from tearing itself apart on dirt roads had also absorbed the impact and prevented impact from totaling car. Replaced brakes and wheel bearings and had to replace shocks quickly upgrading them along with steering to hold 32X10.50 R15s for driving through fields, muddling with friends and also for running in winter as we see a lot of ice than snow. My tire/suspension upgrade made gas mileage go down a little but increase in traction and stability made well worth it and made selling car easy.

I purchased a 2000 Nissan Xterra 4WD 3.3L 5 speed last year in May. I have not had many problems out of it although it had 219K. Had to replace fan clutch at end of summer and changed tires. Power steering began leaking so I took fill tank off. Cleaned, flushed, and replaced factory clamps after inspecting. Problem solved. Due to 25 mile commute to work and dirt roads I try to change oil every month at most once every two months and have taken off stock air filtration and equipped it with cold air intake with arrow performance filter wrapped with microbial mesh filter all housed inside plastic cover to protect from damage.

Yesterday I went out to check front bearings as it has been driving weird pulling and vibrating, excessive body roll in turns etc. I noticed that both rims cover in black dust like when you put new breaks on and front-end sitting visually lower. I went to put jack under car to jack up when I noticed that the suspension looked wrong. Its rubber stoppers are one inch from touching. Looks collapsed and across almost like it has a twist when looking at plates covering front axle. Ball joints still attached to upper and lower arms but appears that it has pulled them together. I am about to go and attempt to use cherry picker to support body weight as I jack frame up leaving no pressure on front suspension.

Due to many different designs I have seen so far used for them both with and without 4WD am looking design for mine up by VIN so I can compare and try to find out what happened and replace what's damaged. I do not know exactly what happened or when but know that for a while now front end has been giving me problems with shaking violently including shaking the steering wheel mainly at speeds around 50 to 60 being the worse while not as bad at others. Steering around curves wheel jerked as if losing power from pump wanting to straighten out bouncing hard. Then before this 4WD was not working correctly when engaged felt as if binding up and tires squalled. When I applied clutch it slowed quickly as if you stepped on breaks firmly. I am not sure exactly when this catastrophic failure happened but know it had to have happened or started around Friday evening 1/15/16.

How this did not cause the car to flip or complete loss of steering beyond me. I honestly don't see how the tires haven't folded up or fallen off with condition of roads and violent turns. I am both upset and lost as to what I am going to have to do to fix all this or if it will be even worth it. I am not sure if this was why my steering was shaky and why 4WD started to act up as I had trouble shooted all other issues I could think of and found by other posts in blogs and asking around at shops and auto part stores. No one mentioned to me about this happening anywhere. All ball joints were checked and good rubbers and bushings good connections solid not damaged and lubricated. It has had me completely stumped and now I have this problem.

So hopefully this may help out a fellow Xterra owner having same type problem and has checked everything I have as well multiple times. I did not see this happening as I have spent multiple hours under car checking front end and connections. Yea it is possible I may have missed something that lead to this failure. It is possible but I just don't see how. I will comment when I get car up and looked at to determine whether she is worth fixing or if it will cost too much or if damage is too extreme to be repaired weakening the integrity and safety of car. If someone can offer any help plz let me know.

Nissan Xterra Company Information