3.69/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Nissan Xterra

The Nissan Xterra is a compact SUV that was discontinued in 2015. Read more Nissan reviews to learn about other models.

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Nissan Xterra Reviews

Original review: Oct. 21, 2017

We bought a 2010 manual Xterra two years ago. About a month ago at 40k miles the clutch started slipping. It got progressively worse over the next week so took it into dealership knowing a replacement clutch would be a Little over $2k. I was a little peeved the clutch only lasted 40k miles but it wasn’t the end of the world. A few days later the dealership called back saying the timing chain was toast too & we’re looking at another $3500. Not happy. I called around to Independent garages and they said timing chains should last between 60k -75k miles and 40k is waaaaay too early.

I called the dealership & asked how they know the timing chain needed replacement without taking the engine apart. They said computer diagnostics let them know. I asked if I could just pay for the clutch & drive it off the lot to get a non-dealership opinion. They said not to drive it too far as the clutch isn’t catching till 4500 rpm or so. The other garages told me I may be SOL since anything discovered by computer diagnostics almost always has to go through dealerships anyway. I told the dealership to go ahead & replace the timing chain if they were sure it was the issue. Fast forward three weeks and I got a call with some ‘bad news’. Timing chain was fixed and it’s still not driving well.

Now they think it’s the computer but they’re not sure. So the clutch was bad ($2100) but the computer may have been running the timing chain down prematurely ($3500) & we’re still no closer to having a drivable vehicle. I told them if the timing chain was hosed by a faulty computer then Nissan should cover that too... The rep got really aggressive with me, saying I’m out of warranty & he’s doing me a favor by trying to get Nissan to cover the computer. So to recap: 7 year old truck w/ 40k miles, a fried clutch, a hosed timing belt & a jacked computer. We’re $6k into repairs with no solution in sight. I wish I had never bought this money pit of a lemon.

Original review: Aug. 27, 2017

I bought a manual 2003 Xterra when in June 2003 from a dealership and have been driving it ever since. It has 180,000 miles on it and has been awesome. The timing belt and clutch have been replaced, but that is to be expected. All other things done on it have been general maintenance. My only complaint is the paint crazing on the hood. I drive it daily to work, haul art in It, and take it camping. I love my Xterra and am glad I got a 2003, especially after reading everything posted here.

Original review: July 30, 2017

I bought a new off the showcase 2007 Xterra at the Miami Lake Palmetos Dealership. First the rim of the front tire a pin size hole, leaking air from 40psi to 15 psi, the fuel line gauge out $600 to fix. It had a recall but nobody notified me. The transmission cable shifter broke. Almost ran over a gas pump. Car kept going. ''No Park.'' More money to fix. I don't recommend anybody to buy a expensive Nissan car because these Nissan people don't care and the Dealership also don't care about the safety of the person behind the wheel. This car has been a Money pit. Go Toyota No 1, those Toyota run for ever.

Original review: July 24, 2017

I am the original owner of a 2000 Xterra XE purchased in summer of 1999~ V6, manual transmission, roll-up windows (lol). I have owned this truck for 18 years, and currently have 151,000 miles. To date I have only had to replace battery a few times, distributor, alternator, brake pads twice, water pump, headlight bulbs once. I am currently experiencing the dreaded radiator leak. (My husband JB welded it, and that has seemed to suppress it until it can be replaced. I put Seafoam in gas tank 6 months ago, experienced a backfire... I wonder if the Seafoam was a mistake... Xterra was fine until recently. Oh, and my rear main seal is leaking oil, to be expected for an 18 year old vehicle, and my AC has conked out twice, (first time 2005, and again in 2014 hoses are a problem).

Surprised and unfortunate so many people have had so much trouble with radiator ruining the transmission. I'm hoping the radiator is not connected to the trans in a manual as it is automatics. The reason I insisted on buying a manual w/ roll up windows, was to avoid costly future repairs... My Dad always said, "the fancier it is, the more expensive it will be to fix!" I am planning on keeping my truck for as long a possible, I'd much rather pay a few thousand to keep this one going than $20-$30k for junk with a bunch of fancy unnecessary gizmos that will cost a fortune to fix WHEN they do go out!

Original review: June 22, 2017

Recently I bought a 2015 Xterra Pro-4x, manual, with 31k on it in near mint condition. All was well until recently when at 36k (I had only put 5k on it) the clutch wore out at the exact same time as a linkage problem with the transmission (stuck in gear) left the car unable to be driven and a projected 2-month repair downtime. I approached Nissan Canada to see if they would be able to help cover the cost of a new clutch given the clear premature failure and association with another major drivetrain/transmission failure. After spending a lot of time on the phone with manager who appeared to understand the situation and initially was willing to help, I was handed down a final conclusion of "will not be paid as not under warranty".

While indeed a clutch is not typically covered under a warranty for this vehicle this should not happen at 36k, driven lightly, not used for towing or off-roading, and associated clearly with another problem (I would not be able to drive the car if the clutch was the only problem). I have driven manuals my whole life and have an Acura TSX with 190k on it with the original clutch and no issues. The lack of understanding and financial help from Nissan Canada cannot let me recommend them to anyone else. The clutch appears to be way under designed for the power and weight of this vehicle. Buyers beware if looking at a used one. Nissan screwed this up big time, and their customer service is poor.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nissan Xterra?

Original review: June 19, 2017

The 2006 Nissan Xterra I have was bought used. I have had it for over 5 years now and can say it was worth every cent I have paid for it. Yes, the cooling system can fail and flush into the trans causing it to fail and the transmission will have to be replaced. What I did was go on YouTube and found how to fix that problem by putting in another radiator, rerouting the lines to separate the engine cooling system and the trans. Works very well. I have upgraded the headlights to replace the old faded ones, redid the brake system to high heat for better braking.

This 4x4 has also a replaced used driveshaft due to the failure of the old one from the factory. This unit now has 170000.0 miles on it and I can't see why it shouldn't make 300000.0. I change the oil every 50000.0 miles with a synthetic. When this motor dues go out, I will have it rebuilt. Remember to use all Nissan parts as well. After market parts will not hold up and will fail and cost you more money in the long run.

Original review: May 18, 2017

Bought a used 2007 Nissan Xterra in August 2016 with 127,000 mi. for college age son. 9 months later the radiator cracked and leaked fluid into transmission which took out the whole car! Really mad after reading how many others have had this problem and the fact that there was a class action suit in 2012. Bought the car from a private party who was original owner and hoping she didn't have a clue about this problem, otherwise, what crappy thing to do (she is a friend of a very good friend)! The cost to fix is quoted at $5,000 - $6,000! The car is maybe worth that? Trying to decide whether we junk the car or pay to fix, but I'm not sure I trust this car anymore! Disappointed that the National Transportation and Safety Board doesn't consider the defective radiator to be a recall issue! Should have bought another Subaru!

Original review: April 26, 2017

After months of repeatedly having to tow my Xterra to the mechanic because it wouldn't start when temperatures dipped below 40 degrees, I thought it might be fixed. The mechanic replaced the ECM, which we hoped was the solution. I picked up the Xterra, drove it 17 miles, and it wouldn't start again. Turns out the TCM had failed, filling the transmission with antifreeze. This failure is apparently so common that finding a TCM is difficult. I'm junking the car. This was my sixth and last Nissan. The others were great, but Nissan has stopped building good cars.

Original review: April 7, 2017

I like many other Xterra owners got screwed by Nissan... My 2007 went to the dealership religiously every 3000 miles for service. I did everything on their recommended services. Then at 112,000 miles I was told the transmission is toast. I thought taking it to the dealership they would have my back and let me know of impending problems, I was wrong. Not once was I told about the faulty radiators, not once. I like many others would have had no problem paying for a new radiator if I had known about the problem. Nissan hid it from customers and for that reason I will never buy another Nissan and I will discourage every person I know to stay away from Nissan products.

Original review: Jan. 30, 2017

In writing this review I am very upset. I bought my 2005 Nissan Xterra with high mileage as it was in great condition. It also had a two year extended warranty by the dealer. I have never used it to date. Ultimately I definitely paid a lot more than the vehicle is worth. Yesterday the transmission completely quit, vehicle was uncontrollable and there was no warning whatsoever. No check engine light came on. I could have been in a major accident. In the process of trying to troubleshoot the problem I discovered that there are major recalls on this vehicle and there was also a class action lawsuit against Nissan for the same issue my vehicle has.

Unfortunately I do not have a secondary vehicle and am missing work and I definitely don't have the money to put thousands of dollars into repairing this vehicle. I have never been notified of any recalls on this vehicle as many other Nissan Xterra buyers have not either. Now I am missing work and having to deal with this issue and can result in the possible loss of my job. This dealership never disclosed that this vehicle had so many recalls on major parts of this vehicle... They see $$$ signs first and do not care about the consumer. My advice is Don't buy a 2005 Nissan Xterra and beware of dealers who have no consideration for the consumer.

Nissan Xterra Company Information