3.78/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Nissan Quest

The Nissan Quest is a minivan that was manufactured from 1992 until 2016, when it was discontinued. Read more Nissan reviews to learn about other models.

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Nissan Quest Reviews

Original review: July 18, 2019

I bought my 2013 Nissan Quest brand new 6 years ago. My first new car ever! My family and I have enjoyed the roomy design, zippy engine and good gas mileage until it just quit without warning. Took it to a dealer and it needs a new transmission to the tune of $4500. Transmissions should not go out at 80k miles. My van has never towed or been driven hard in any way. I have faithfully kept up on recommend maintenance, which didn’t seem to do any good. Very disappointed!!

Original review: April 10, 2019

2008 Nissan Quest base model - I likely will be leaving another review at some point in the future, because we have bought a second Quest, a loaded 2012 model, which I have a sneaking suspicion will not be as reliable as the 2008 has been. It's got the same bullet proof VQ35 motor but the suspect Nissan CVT. We bought our Quest 3/2014 with 108k miles on it. It's a bare bones model and I believe it was being used as a transit vehicle before us. I would as soon cut off my own ears as trust a dealership or random mechanics shop with one of my vehicles, so I DIY all auto repairs.

The quest is now at 205k miles and the only things I've had to do to it was change the oil every 5-6k miles with synthetic blend and later high mileage castrol. Never had to tune up the motor at all, replace any belts, any of that, which is great considering how tight the engine bay is. I rebuilt the front suspension at 158k miles. Still fine almost 50k later. My wife rarely drives it to her speed bump jumping events these days.

There are some problems which I just deal with: the radio sometimes won't turn on, or it will and it just emits a way-too-loud buzzing sound--sometimes it works normally. You can pull the fuse and plug it back in to fix the problem or just wait a random amount of time and try again and it fixes itself eventually. The transmission bucks from time to time at a certain low speed range when applying moderate throttle (trying to maintain speed), I'd say 10-20 mph. It is always smooth when accelerating and at highway speeds.

My power steering fluid starting leaking so I have replaced it with automatic transmission fluid which I learned a long time ago works about as well but leaks at a slower rate than power steering fluid. This was around 165k miles. I have since located the leak in the tube that's running down along the bottom of the motor but I haven't repaired it yet, I just keep feeding it auto tranny fluid. Ironically, the last time I needed to buy some I was at Walmart and the only thing I could find was the stuff that had stop-leak in it, which I normally stay far away from, but since this is our beater vehicle I went ahead and purchased it. Lo-and-behold, it seems to have actually stopped the leak.

Overall this vehicle has given us five years and 100k miles of virtually trouble-free operation. It was well worth the money we spent on it. I plan to take it out of service this spring and do some pretty extensive preventive maintenance on the areas I haven't bothered with since buying it, drive it a couple more years, then probably give it away to a needy family.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

Bought our 2012 Nissan Quest new in 2012. Love the comfort and roominess of the vehicle. Have finally solved the problem with the tires constantly wearing, discovered the van is just too heavy for the tires rated for the vehicle. On my 4th set of tires that have finally lasted 3 years of normal driving, went with a set from Pirelli that have a higher weight rating. Still have to have the vehicle regularly aligned as it has a problem holding the alignment and just went ahead and purchased a lifetime alignment from a car care company. I don't like being nervous every time I go over a bump afraid the alignment is going to go out. Even though the tires are holding up better than the previous 3 sets, that can change quickly with the alignment issue so I have to stay diligent about that.

Earlier this week while driving to work I unexpectedly had something fly up from under the van, hit the windshield, bounce off and continue on to the traffic behind me. Luckily no one was hurt and the van continued to run so I had to keep moving due to traffic. When I could finally stop, I discovered the chrome trim strip above the grill had broken off and that is what flew off. Upon inspecting the area where the trim "used" to be, it apparent that there are clips on only one side of the area where it was to be fastened.

Now I'm just a bit cranky because I'm researching replacing the trim and the only option I can locate so far is having to replace the whole grill system, even though it's just the trim and is installed separate from the grill, an obvious fact as it took flight and the grill stayed in place... so far. I love certain aspects of this van, but I must admit this vehicle has made me more nervous as an owner than any other vehicle I have ever owned.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I purchased 2009 Nissan Quest back on 2009. Currently 127,345 miles. I follow the vehicle manual. I do all maintenance since I first got the van. So far running great. You need to follow your vehicle manual maintenance. Still running like new. I would not buy the new ones because they are made cheap. They put CVT transmissions on them now which is crap. I will just keep my Nissan 2009. I wont buy a Nissan now that they are just crap.

Original review: June 11, 2018

Buyers be aware of problems with the 2011 Nissan Quest and other vehicles that have the Nissan CVT transmission. Our journey with Nissan has been an expensive journey! I would give a negative star count on both the Quest and Nissan Consumer Affairs if a negative star count was possible! We were attracted to the Quest because of the space in the cabin, creature features of the interior, and the quality of NISSAN. (I owned a Maxima several years ago and loved it!) We purchased the Quest used with 65k miles on it, it needed tires but other than that was in great condition. We put a set of tires on immediately after purchase and felt very blessed to have a new (to us) vehicle to serve our family!

I have a mechanical history and do all of my own preventative maintenance, I change oil, check fluids, and rotate tires every 5k. I noticed when the tires had only 10k on them that all 4 were showing pretty aggressive wear. I made an appointment at the alignment shop because I assumed it must be out of alignment due to the tire wear. Much to my surprise, they found that the vehicle was NOT out of alignment. So I chalked it up to tire manufacturer problems, after going down that road they advised me that they (tire manufacturer) had experienced the same problem on other vehicles of the same make and model??? I thought surely this couldn't be and that they were just trying to get out of replacing my tires!

The second hit came when the Quest had 93k miles. The transmission would not allow the vehicle to increase in speed, it was like it was stuck in "low" however I knew it couldn't be due to the way a CVT is designed. I made an appointment at a transmission shop, took the van in and was advised that the CVT needed to be replaced. The shop advised to purchase an OE CVT from Nissan so we did to the tune of $2500 (parts only). When I picked up the van after repair the tech explained the warranty and such and to be honest I kinda let it in one ear and out the other because I thought I'm good now!! WRONG!! The next hit came when the A/C compressor went out at 101k miles! After that I thought OK now I'm good NOW!! WRONG!! I had to replace the tires again, third set since 65K and three times on the alignment rack! With no solutions...

By this time we are thinking and looking about replacing this Quest with something else so we were passively looking at options but not with a lot of urgency... Man I wish I would've acted quicker. As the spring started and the temperatures increased we started to notice a delay when shifting from drive to reverse. So I went back to the transmission shop, they advised that the new transmission was OE so I needed to talk with the dealer for warranty. So I talked to the dealership and was reminded the warranty was 12mo or 12k mi. at the current time I was at 13 mo. and 19k miles! The dealer advised I talk with Nissan Consumer Affairs. So I started a case with them #**. I was initially advised that there was nothing they could do for me and there needed to be further evaluation of the problem...

I made an appointment with the dealer, dropped off the Quest, they called a day later and said that indeed there was an internal problem with the CVT and it needed replaced! Again!! The dealer went to bat for me with NISSAN and negotiated a 60% Nissan 40% me replacement. While I appreciate the assistance, I think leaving ALL the other problems aside, a complete replacement would be appropriate! I then went back to Nissan Consumer Affairs to explain my case and found Nissan Consumer Affairs to be completely worthless! My case was "elevated to the Regional Manager" Amanda. While Amanda was pleasant to talk with and said she "understood" there was no further that she could offer.

While I understand that I purchased a vehicle used and wear and tear is not the responsibility of the manufacturer, I think a vehicle in alignment that wears out tires every 20-25k miles and transmissions that only last 20k miles is unacceptable! Now I'm in a moral dilemma of what to do with this piece of junk from here... I can't keep putting good money into this Quest (total repair cost $7200) but I really don't feel right selling it without full disclosure which will make the value of the van 1/2 of blue book! Thanks Nissan! Keep up the poor manufacturing and customer service!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nissan Quest?

Original review: May 9, 2018

My Quest had a lot of problems out of the gate. My car was back at the dealer's shop a lot, and sometimes they couldn't even figure out the answers. But I got them taken care of under warranty, and I'm still happily driving it 18 years later.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

Owned 2 Quests. I first bought a used 2007 quest that had run flat tires that no one told me about from Gwinnett Place Nissan in 2010. Fast forward to tires costing 750 a pop and being discontinued and we had moved away due to being military. Instead of getting sued for not disclosing the tire info or accident history, the dealership drove me down (drove, didn’t ship like supposed to) a 2012 quest with aftermarket leather seats. Caps started coming off crappy seats they put in right away (on the armrests). We have purchased THREE sets of tires on this 5 year old 52k mile car. We have had the front and back brakes replaced MULTIPLE times. Battery kept going bad. Had that repackaged TWICE after dealer put bad battery in to account for one time.

Now, at 52k miles I’m told my air compressor is shot. I live in Cali where I don’t need it on full blast all the time and never use the heat. When asked why an air compressor that has never gone bad on a car less than 10 years old for us or really anyone from reading the response was well these things happen. Nissan, please back up your crappy products and extend your warranties until you can start producing good quality cars and safe cars for your consumers.

Original review: July 23, 2017

2005 Nissan Quest... Where do I start... matter of fact I'll break it down. Pros: Roomy, strong engine, gas mileage decent, double sliding doors, decent inside temp control, huge front seats, modern look in/exterior, 7 reclining seats (back seat sits 3, but seat recline as one). Cons: I've replaced the transmission, 1/1/2017 as of now 7/23/2017 that feels to be at 70%, changed front lower control arms twice on driver and three times on passenger, sway bar links, struts, 4 sets of tires, rear shocks twice, driver side rear shock seems to snap in half both times, alternator, both belts, power steering pressure line, cam sensor, passenger axle, engine and transmission mounts...

Current issues: Rear mount is now broke again, strut mounts are bad again, both sliding doors are hard to open, driver door handle is completely broke, power steering return line is now leaking, rear suspension needs to be aligned, rear vent system don't get hot, cluster broke (no gas no engine temp) rear windshield blade missing, time for timing chain and tensioners to be replaced (noisy on start up)... Personal issues: Van craps everywhere I go, it sits too low, repairs are expensive, rear air ride suspension should be a must, stock rear suspension is weak (very), no aux... I'm only giving this 3-4 stars because I really like the engine power and it's roomy... I do regret buying this van, but it do get me from A-b and sometimes c... I suggest this for a small family with local driving...

Original review: May 24, 2017

I have owned my 2006 Quest since May 2013, only issue were routine maintenance, new tires, new control arms, new inner and outer tie rod ends, new wheel bearings, new struts, break pads etc. The ABS and slip light came on approximately May 1, 2017, then at approximately 130,000 miles around May 19 we heard a humming noise when the van was shut off, happened a few times but not every time. 2 times we awoke to a dead battery, it seemed as if that may have been the cause, not sure.

The first time I thought a child left an interior light on. The 2nd time it happened my husband was convinced it was the ABS Motor. He priced this part. Day 3 of noticing the noise, van still functioning with no additional issues other than the ABS and slip lights on. Then on May 24 at 1 am it caught on fire. We had not touched the van or drive it since 8:30 pm that evening. The van was a total loss, I think possibly the ABS motor may be a recall issue as this isn't the only ABS motor story, just be aware, it can catch fire!

Original review: Jan. 3, 2017

We got the minivan in March of 2016. Within the first month, a door panel came off (still doesn't work) had to have the engine worked on. Since then, this car has gone downhill. Had to replace the battery, ignition coils and injectors, fuel pump, alternator, power steering, back brakes, two wheel bearings, a/c worked on, alternator, engine mounts, have had the electric system worked on. Now, mind you that's what I'VE HAD TO PAY OOP. Doesn't include the handful of things that Avirex has paid for. Do NOT buy from here. They wouldn't honor their return with 5 days policy. They had to have it looked at first before they would... which of course goes past the 5 days.

Nissan Quest Company Information