Nissan Maxima
  • 1 star
Based on 465 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

Nissan Maxima

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Nov. 6, 2017

746 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I have owned several Nissans and by far, the Maxima is the most comfortable. Rides smoothly, and great gas mileage. The car is a 2004 and I can do a round trip ride (about 180 miles) on only an eighth of a tank of gas. This is also with my air conditioner on.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

Add my name to the list of failed 2013 Nissan Maxima CVT transmission failures. My vehicle had less than 100K on it, I got all my service done at the dealer. I purchased my vehicle brand new. I believe Nissan is aware of this problem, they extended the warranty period before and they need to do it again. Many of us have paid out money for something that Nissan should have covered. They know there is a problem it started several years ago and it was never fixed. Despite their saying otherwise. They make a pretty car, but it is garbage.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I would like to share what happen to me today. I was driving my 2004 Nissan Maxima and it caught a fire while I was driving on the freeway to church. This is very upsetting but I am grateful that I am still alive. I wish there is something I can do because I just got the car in Aug 31, 2017. I didn't have the car very long. But the engine caught on fire. This is crazy to me. I could have lost my life and my family could be making arrangement for me but praise God I am alive to tell Nissan they should recall these cars asap.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

I've have a 2006 6 speed Nissan Maxima with approximately $80k miles. I am the original owner! I just experienced having to put a second clutch into my car. When the Nissan dealer was putting the clutch assembly in they noticed the firewall was cracked, told me I would have to take it to a body shop to be welded. Body shop give me an estimate of $1200. So I called Nissan Headquarters because I did my research and apparently this has happened to 2006 to 2017 Nissan cars!!! Nissan Corp Consumer Affairs would not assist me in paying for the Firewall to be welded!!

I was hoping they would do the job without me paying, but they wouldn't even help me pay for it!!! I'm outraged! As big as Nissan is this malfunction with Clutch Petal Brackets coming off the firewall has been happening since 1998!!! So now I have to find a body shop who won't charge me a arm and leg to weld!! I'm disappointed in NISSAN CORP, for not seeing this problem has been going on for decades! Beware when buying a Nissan Stick!!! They won't help you! Regardless if your mileage is low!!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

I've been considering a new slightly used car. My 1997 Maxima is 20y old and leather upholstery/interior is failing from sun exposure. But after reading about bad Nissan CVT transmissions in newer Maximas, and other common expensive repairs I'm not buying one. In 190,000 miles, I've had 2 idler pulleys fail and 1 coil at 171K. Total repair costs in 20 years: $100 for parts and I did the labor myself. Even the brakes lasted 160k. Paint is perfect. This car has been a true gem compared to quality and cost to own of newer models. Might as well keep it till it dies. Isn’t worth much to sell or trade. Thank you Consumer Affairs and everyone who has reported issues with their vehicles. This site is a huge asset and budget protector for a used car purchasing decision.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nissan?

Original review: July 31, 2017

I purchased my 2005 Maxima in 2006 and liked it very much until it started hesitating and jerking when accelerating or slowing down. Felt like the gears were slipping. While driving up a steep mountain road the car will not go over 20 mph. There are a lot of complaints online about the transmissions but the 2005 Nissan Maxima is not included in any of the recalls. The cost of a new transmission from a local vendor is $3500 used or $4000 + new. I do not choose to replace the transmission in a car that is 12 years old but it is still a nice car. What should I do with the car?

Original review: July 29, 2017

I would never buy another Nissan. My 2009 had the steering column lock up like so many others, and yet they refuse to recall. Had to have car towed and cost me around 1200 to get it fixed. What LOUSY service. You know there is a problem but leave it to your customers to resolve it. Well I won't have to ever resolve another issue - I will never buy your car again!

Original review: July 5, 2017

I have a 2016 Nissan Maxima which I bought new last year. Two weeks ago, I took my car to Baker Nissan for a oil change in which it was discovered that there is a recall on my car. The recall has to replace the ABS. Two days after the recall has been fixed, I was on my way to work when the emergency breaking light came on. I informed Baker Nissan and was asked to bring it in to check it. I dropped my vehicle at Baker Nissan and was told to come get it the next day. I picked it up two days after. I picked it up on the third day and was told that the part was replaced.

On my way to work the next day, the light came back on again and I informed Baker Nissan and was told to bring it in to be checked. I took my car in the next day and was told to come get it the next day. I went the next day and was told that the the emergency breaking system light had been reprogrammed. I left the dealership and the following day, on my way to work when I step on the break, the radio and the dashboard goes off on me. I drove it for couple of days if there will be an improvement. But all to no avail and it even got to the stage that the car radio and the dashboard goes off without even stepping on the break.

I then took my car back to Baker Nissan and explained the situation to both the general manager and the service advisor manager **. They were so passionate and my car was retained and promised to check the vehicle. The car as a Mr. ** promised will be ready tomorrow 7/5/2017. My problem now is that I'm scared of driving the car as I do not know what might happen next. I always take the freeway to work and the speed limit is 70 miles. I lose so much confidence in the car as I do not want it to stop on me on the freeway. Life is very precious and important. Please help out and other that have the latest Nissan Maxima. PLEASE!!!

Original review: June 15, 2017

Purchased a 2005 Nissan Maxima for my daughter. At 160,000 the car would hesitate and jerk when accelerating. Felt like the gears were slipping. While driving down a 50 MPH one lane road the car would not go over 20 mph. Come to find out that although there are many complaints on Nissan transmissions, the 2005 Nissan Maxima is not included in any of the recalls. I can't afford an transmission and cannot allow my daughter to drive such an unsafe vehicle. Now stuck with a car sitting in my driveway. Never again will we buy Nissan.

Original review: April 19, 2017

Every time I drive my 2011 Maxima, and see that SES light which won't go out due to code P0101, which is associated with the MAF, and has at least two TSB's (SB-10044780-2778 SB-10044780-9331) which call for an ECU update, I realize that I'm stuck holding the bag - the cost - whatever it may be. Thanks a lot Nissan, for showing me what your customer support and loyalty is all about.

Original review: March 2, 2017

Bought a 2014 Nissan Maxima in August of 2016. Six months later the transmission has gone out at 66515 miles. Nissan is less than accommodating, and it seems to be a common theme that the transmissions go out on these vehicles. I am extremely disappointed, more like pissed off.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2017

After driving our 2010 Maxima to a meeting, we tried to start the car with our key fobs (my husband and I each have a set). The car would not recognize either. Just kept giving us errors: no key and security. We called Nissan roadside service. They arranged a tow to the dealership ($150). After running a diagnostic, they said it was a steering column key lock failure. We had expected this, since we had read numerous same complaints online. Very unhappy owners of 2009-2010 Maxima, just like ours. BIG cost!!

However, the next day we called Nissan customer service. The agent took our complaint and promised a callback the next business day. (Sure). To our delight, the next business day a very friendly representative called to verify our problem, repair cost, and mailing address. She advised that we would receive a check within 4 weeks for the full costs. Even though the car has 80k miles and is 16 years old, they stood behind their product and satisfied customers. Great surprise. My husband is now thinking of replacing his Chevy truck with a Nissan Rogue. I love my Nissan.

Original review: Dec. 9, 2016

Dependable vehicle. 2006 Nissan Maxima. Smooth ride, comfortable and affords leg room. Transmission issue at 100,000 miles and had to replace. Paint - fades. Repairing is expensive even if you do it yourself. Parts are not cheap. Plenty of room in the trunk. Premium sound system. Love Nissans. Plan on buying another one (2015) within the next six months. Take care of the car and it will take care of you.

Original review: Nov. 14, 2016

On November 1 I dropped my daughter to school and came back home with my car. As I was getting ready to go to work the work would not bulge. It was dead. I thought it was the battery so I went to Auto Zone to get for both keys but that was not the issue. I called a friend who works for Nissan and he told me it might be the Escl malfunction. I YouTubed and Googled the issue and sure enough there is such a problem but it's not supposed to happen to my model not 2010. According to Nissan, written on their website that it was fixed and the warranty is only extended to 09 model.

So I called consumer affairs. A very nasty, condescending, smart behind Mike gave me a hard time until I told him to check question 7 in the same faq's he was asking me to read. It was then he transferred me to Angela the regional manager for Nissan. I explained the situation to her and she kept telling me that the my car did not have the warranty. IF IT'S A MALFUNCTION, Angela from Nissan told me that my case would be reviewed and they would let me know what actions they would take. The Nissan Dealer Gregoris were very nasty too. Maria was not trying to hear anything I had to say. Again I was told that my car is not under warranty for that issue. People it's a malfunction. The car totally shuts down.

I've read online on many complaints that NISSAN owns about the issue but does not want to class it as a recall. I ended up paying $1078 for the part and labor. Nissan consumer affairs called me immediately after I picked up the car and told me that they could not help. I will never purchase another Nissan nothing. Nissan does not care for their customers’ safety. I could have been anywhere and my car could have shut down on me like that. Nissan sucks.

Original review: Aug. 18, 2016

My 2006 Nissan Maxima started slipping gears at about 80,000 miles, just about after the manufacture warranties were up. This make the 2nd Nissan Maxima I have owned and the 2nd transmission problem I I have had. I waited 10 years to buy another Nissan after my first experience with Maxima transmission problems, thinking "surely they have figured out how to make better transmissions..." Boy was I wrong! My first Maxima cost me almost $4000 to repair back in 2000. NOW I'm told this transmission will cost about $3500 to repair (needing a complete rebuild).

This is NOT a new problem with Nissan. My 2006 now has a hard time finding a gear in automatic, when it does, it SLAMS into gear, then quickly looses gear again as it searches for the next gear. I have to switch over to to the manual gear shifting so the car will stay in each gear. Occasionally, the transmission will get stuck in 5th gear if I have been on the highway for a while. The only way to disengage the gear is to stop the car, turn off the engine, restart the car and put it into gear, where the transmission instantly SLAMS into 1st gear again. This makes for a VERY UNSAFE DRIVING CONDITION. I would like NISSAN to own up to the fact that they are producing very poor quality and UNSAFE transmissions. Are they simply waiting for people to die before they fix their mistakes?

Original review: July 24, 2016

Purchased a 2013 Nissan Maxima. Hit 70,000 & the CVT transmission is bad. I've had the car for less than 1 year. Contacted Nissan & was advised that it was nothing they could do being that I just had passed the 70,000 warranty. I'm pissed & will never do business with this company. It's definitely not fair that the consumer has to pay for the company false standards. The car was poorly made with this terrible transmission that Nissan knows is bad but continues to put in their cars.

Original review: June 28, 2016

I bought a beautiful "looking" 2010 Maxima with less than 18,000 miles on it after looking for several weeks for used car. I have had no less than 5 catastrophic failures with the vehicle. Good luck buying an extended warranty on a vehicle if you spend 1300.00 every 5 months repairing it. Power steering went, won't pass Wisconsin emissions without problems and sensors galore. You will get stuck somewhere and require a tow when push start fails without warning... and though Nissan is aware of it, they will not help you. I could go on, but just read the rest of reviews and steer clear of Nissan.

Original review: June 3, 2016

Never again will buy a Nissan. Their cars suck and they dealerships suck. Money pit. Everything started to fall apart at 62000 miles. Go figure.

Original review: May 26, 2016

I have a 2012 Maxima with 67,000 miles and the CVT just went on it. The "service engine soon" light came on, I continued to drive the car for a day, then loud, high-pitched, sounds started coming from the car. I tried to take it 2 miles to a service station the next morning to get the sounds, and warning light diagnosed and halfway there the car went into "limp mode." I pulled off to the side of the road, put my hazard flashers on, and at 2 mph crawled into the service station.

After 30 minutes the mechanic informed me my transmission (CVT) was shot and that they don't work on CVTs but only replace them. A new one with labor would be $5,500 and a used CVT with labor $3900. Not only did my CVT fail, I've had the navigation system fail at 35,000 miles but the whole unit was replaced under warranty. Now the backup camera is not working and the sun-roof shutters when closing. The car is garage kept, not driven in snow and has had all maintenance kept up to date. How does a $39,000 car have so many problems within the first 4 years of ownership?

I have contacted Nissan and have tried to work my way through the lower level support reps. who are there only to frustrate angry consumers and deflect them from getting real answers from upper management. I have owned many cars in my years and have had plenty of small problems but never had a transmission go out. I had a Volkswagen Rabbit (showing my age) in high school and drove that in college and finally sold it with 185,000 miles on it and the transmission still worked fine. I still own a 98 Jeep Wrangler and the transmission works fine. I had a Ford Explorer with 132,000 miles on it before getting rid of it and that transmission worked fine. There is obviously a defect in the engineering of the Nissan's CVT and I was unlucky enough to buy one.

I just wish Nissan would stand behind their mistake instead of pretending it doesn't exist. If a 1982 Volkswagen Rabbit selling new for $9,100 can get close to 200,000 miles on the engine and transmission I would think that a 2012 Nissan Maxima costing $39,000, with today's technology, could at least equal that. I am woefully wrong.

Original review: April 30, 2016

I repaired autos for 20 years. I had over 30 car in my life! And this 07 Nissan Maxima is the worst vehicle I've ever had. The cvt transmission is slipping noisy garbage, the front floor pans are rotten? The rear abs sensors short out and burn up traction control module. $$. The rear brake calipers seized up and burned off the brakes. The ac clutch grinding when turned on. The blower motor makes horrible noise when it feels like it? This car in the snow will not go over 20mph, will not stop or steer. 20.000$ car and no one wants this p.o.s. Never again. Sad example for a car maker.

Original review: Feb. 16, 2016

Let's first be clear that when I say this it will hit the fan!!! I work for a Dodge dealership and found out on this past Saturday how Nissan got over on great loyalty customers!!! I own a 2009 Nissan Maxima S with 95K!! On last week my vehicle would not start. It had two lights on the dash a red security light and a yellow key light that mean something was wrong with the steering lock system!! I google my car, but to my surprise many others were having the same problem with their 2009-2010 Nissan Maxima and Altima!!! Then found out that Nissan had put a 6 year unlimited warranty mileage on this part which is the steering lock module!!! Of course my car was out of the warranty!!!

Here come the part that made me very upset. I call my local Nissan dealership here in Columbia, SC and was told it would cost about $1100 to fix my car and the part itself was $790. I reach out to Nissan North America for help due to the fact this was a defective part that was not replace. They call me back today and said they wouldn't assist. Anyway the dealership I work for call the same local Nissan store and got the part for $499 and I went to Lowe's on yesterday to buy a special tool call easy out to take the part off my car!!! It took me every bit of 20 minutes to fix my car and I'm not a mechanic!!! So what I'm getting at is that a lot of consumers paid close to $1100 for a $700 job max!!! Thanks Nissan for showing the American people who buy your product or brand how much you care!!!

Original review: Jan. 8, 2016

Just got to a accident last week. As I was driving into my parking space at my complex halfway into my parking space my car just took off on me AND accelerated and I could not react quick ENOUGH to do. Over $5000 in damage. Lucky for me I didn't hurt or crash into anyone. Can someone help me and direct me to what should I do next. THANK YOU.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2015

I purchased a 2013 Nissan Maxima in April 2015. It's now December 2015 and my transmission is bad in the vehicle and needs to be rebuilt. I only have about 70,000 miles on the odometer and of course my warranty on the vehicle is no longer valid. This is really frustrating because this is a new vehicle which I haven't got to use for a whole year yet. Nissan service department has quoted me $5,000 to repair the transmission. I'll be better off putting the $5000 down on a new more reliable car brand. Please be careful when buying a Nissan. You'll end up in more debt and won't get the opportunity to enjoy the vehicle because you will stay having to take it to the shop for different repairs. This was my first and last Nissan.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2015

I own a beautiful dark blue 2005 Nissan Maxima. But it is the pits, a lemon. Transmission was replaced and it went bad just after the warranty went out. Now I am broke down. Merry Christmas Nissan!!!

Original review: Nov. 15, 2015

I replaced my transmission in my 2004 Nissan Maxima at the Nissan dealership. Two years later the transmission is acting up. I went to the store and got back in my car, put it in drive and the car wouldn't move so I gave it a little gas and it still wouldn't move. Then I cut the car off for 15 mins then put the car in gear then it made a thump noise like it was hung up. So what do I need to do I am feed up. Transmission are not cheap. I love the car because I needs to work but scared to drive the car. It might put me down somewhere.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2015

Nissan Maxima 2006 - I would like to mention that I just want the car fixed at this time at no cost to me. The history of the car I mentioned on the initial call, parts have been replaced since 10/26/2015 and I yet to know if it has corrected the initial problem which is car turning off while I am driving. The tcs, slip and check engine lights up, which Scott at service witness and even drove the car. Many parts have been replaced but yet the car turned off again.

The initial pick up, the battery was dead and was charged. I then drove the car from the back of the dealer lot to the front and it turned off with all lights appearing again. Scott then drove the car and kept it to diagnose again. Originally, the engine mount and transmission mount was replace and a cam sensor but still the car turn off. In the process of me writing this email, I received a call from Nissan corporate and they are standing their ground as to me paying the extra labor

It is unfortunate that decisions were made unknown to me on a repair of a seized bolt which has now put me in a situation where additional labor is needed because the technician decided to break the bolt without my consent of verifying if the warranty would pay for it. I think this is unacceptable, and disappointing customer service. I will definitely share my thoughts and concerns with the attorney general of consumer affairs, better business bureau, and every social media, and review of team Nissan.

In closing I will also consult with a lawyer since I was not given an option to get my vehicle and option to take elsewhere where now I am force or obligated to pay a labor expense which will not guarantee my car is yet fixed correctly. I personally think they are just trying to make money off my extended warranty. I believe the dealer is taking advantage of the warranty as well as me the consumer with price gouging, since originally the warranty was going to be charged $850.00 and suddenly the same work can be done for $350.00. Let alone should I mentioned that parts have been replaced to the tune of 1500.00 and yet my car still has the same problem. Sincerely, unsatisfied customer, and disgusted and disappointed on the service received.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2015

Time to file a lawsuit. We bought a 2010 Nissan and just finished paying it off. However, the paint on the hood and roof are shot. Even people at the dealership agreed they had never seen anything as bad as this. We took all the steps, opened a case, had pictures taken at the dealership, waited patiently, and was very confident that Nissan would do the right thing and get this taken care of. After all, we read that this was a common complaint and Nissan did fix the problem with others. We just heard back. Nissan will not do anything. Not only have they lost a customer, I will make sure that pictures and reviews are posted everywhere with warnings to never buy a Nissan because they do not consistently stand behind their product.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2015

I purchased a 2007 Nissan Maxima new in March of 2007. Every 3 months the cars has had an oil change and any work done that was recommended by service dept. I wash the car weekly and wax and hand wax monthly. All this so called stainless steel trim (which I learned is just plastic that is covered with stainless steel looking tape) has came off. The headliner in the rear of the car is starting to fall down. It appears that Nissan was too cheap to use an inch more or material to tuck it under before they glued it to headliner board.

Did I mention the cars doesn't even have 15,000 miles on it yet? Last time I looked at the odometer it had 14,895 on it. I had brakes done, serpentine belt done at under 7000 miles, exhaust, interior floor sills that was replaced because they were starting to rot and are starting to rot again, which I also supposed to be made of stainless steel. Every time I called Nissan USA they told me "there's nothing they can do because each dealer is independently owned." I realized the car is over its warranty time now and there's nothing I can do. But I will never buy another Nissan Product and I wish everyone reading this will not buy one either!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2015

I purchased a 2007 Nissan Maxima in 2007. Since then, I have had to replace/repair the following: catalytic converter, power steering pump, high pressure power steering hoses, motor mounts, both drivers side and passenger side sun visors, passenger side side view mirror, new battery every two years, hydraulic trunk struts. I drive extremely conservatively, have not been in a wreck, do regular and scheduled maintenance. I know of no other person who owns a car of any make, model or year that has had as many high dollar repair/replacements as I have had with this car. I will never buy Nissan again.

Original review: Oct. 3, 2015

I am experiencing the same problem with my 2005 Nissan Maxima. Bought this car in 2011 with 43,000 miles. This issue happened back in March 2015 when it began jerking hard almost came to a closed call when engine rev at 2,000rpms. Took to a mechanic he said that my transmission is gone. Tried fixing but the repair was very expensive. A buddy of mine did add new parts on making it work again but there was problem this time much worst. This time my car is jerking violently into 2nd and 3rd gear even just replaced motor mounts. I've had trouble with engine burning 2 quarts of oil plus catalytic converter needs to be fixed. My car is nice looking but think that wouldn't consider another Nissan after this problem car sound like has diesel after taking off. I think Nissan should have recalled these cars. Now I'm losing a lot of money in minimal repairs. Even transmission is dangerous after car begins in jerking very violently. Thinking trading off on a much more reliable brand. YOU LOST NISSAN!!!

Nissan Maxima Company Information