Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
3.91/5

Nissan Maxima

While early models of the Nissan Maxima were small sedans, newer models are considered luxury sedans. Read more Nissan reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

766 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: June 21, 2018

The Nissan Maxima is a quiet, easy to drive, ultra comfortable, attractive car that is large enough for the family, sporty sedan with enough power to get up and go. The car has a roomy design with comfortable seats for long trips, luxury feel interior with lots of extras, great handling in sport mode, great safety features. Needs automatic windshield wipers that start when it rains (particularly useful in southern states), sunroof should be included on the SV package, and the fog lights should be removable without removing the bumper.

Original review: June 17, 2018

Nissan Maxima is very reliable and easy taken care of. The navigation and back up camera have made for safer and better trips. It gets great gas mileage and has a lot of luxury features. I love the looks and reliability for this car. I like its GPS, heated seats, leather and Bose stereo. I had another Maxima previously and always had great outcome with it. I love the size but when it comes time to change tires, they are expensive.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Great car. It had a v8 engine, 6 cylinders. I never had a major problem with the car. Only changed tires on it once. Car looked good body wise and sounded good when started. Great power steering. Drove smoothly. Gas saver. Low mileage. Liked the color. All electric controls worked well. Bought used. And within my price range. It had a good A/C & heater. Speakers worked & played well. Everything worked within the car. I only added a sound system, new tires, windshield wipers to the car. Loved the 2003 Nissan Maxima.

Original review: June 12, 2018

Nissan Maxima is wonderful and I’m very pleased with my purchase choice. The price could be a bit lower but for the total package I received but it’s well worth the cost. I paid for what I got. It drives great and I also get good service at the dealership. Overall it’s a great buy. Also, I’ve had good experiences with Nissan in the past. The car is fully loaded and I enjoy driving no matter where I’m going now. Rides and drives like a dream. Nissan Maxima is a vehicle and a brand I would advise anyone looking for a good car for the money. I love driving my car now and all the many features it has are great and a vast variety. I would also recommend it for that reason as well as the great gas mileage it gets on both highway and interstate miles. I love every single thing about it especially the new sleek classy look.

Original review: May 9, 2019

I own a 2017 Nissan Maxima. Suddenly, my front windshield received a large break on the passenger side of the front windshield while parked in my driveway. The damage began at the bottom of the windshield and spread all the way to the top. I was perplexed as to how the damage occurred. When the glass repair person came out to replace the window, the first thing he said was, "this is a stress break from a manufactured defect". He began to show me how the tint on the window on the bottom and the top of the window was bubbling.

He said there are no cracks or dings on the window; so the damage did not spread from previous damage. It was very logical because I previously owned a 2013 Maxima and the back windshield had to be replaced because it started to bubble horribly. My 2013 back windshield was replaced free of charge because I took it to the dealership for them to review it and they had several cars scheduled to repair because of "manufacture defect in the tint". This time, I had to pay to replace my window because I didn't know the break was caused by defect and I had not noticed the bubbling yet. I will contact Nissan.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nissan Maxima?

Original review: April 23, 2019

When I went to make my first new car purchase, I was soooo excited! I thought I was going to love my Nissan Maxima. Within the first year of purchase, the side curtain airbags deployed on me... while I was at a complete stop! I submit my claim to Nissan, failing to understand why they might have deployed while my vehicle was just sitting there, yet Nissan claimed everything functioned properly and they bore no responsibility for "my" issue. However they could not tell me why the airbags even went off on the first place, and there was no one else I could ask to explain things to me either. It then progressed to them taking 3.5 months to fix my car (with only 12 hours of labor billed), while I was making payments on a vehicle I didn't even have in my possession.

Once I FINALLY got my Maxima back, my passenger window started rolling itself down multiple times, once with me even in the car watching it have a mind of its own! Took it back in, and guess what... They couldn't find anything wrong yet again! Next, I started having issues with the drive computer resting itself and the presents on my radio clearing themselves. Oh no, Nissan once more couldn't find anything wrong, yet at this point the car is still less than two years old. All I am offered is the chance to make another appointment. I simply cannot understand why Nissan will not back their vehicles and refuse to even talk about the issues with me. Every time I have talked with Consumer Affairs, I am passed off on the standard line of "there is nothing they can do to help me".

Original review: March 3, 2019

I bought a New 2017 Maxima Aug 22, 2017. Had rust develop in trunk drain where water runs off the rear windshield end of November 2017. The car was only two half months old. 4000 km. Vickar Nissan said it was rail dust from transport and used a clay bar and touch up paint to repair Dec 22 stating it would not return. The rust returned the end of February 2018! March 2018 rust developed on both the left and right side of the rear windshield in the very narrow drain beside the windshield! Now I want a new car. I don’t want the rear windshield removed to have it painted as Nissan Canada wants to do. Every Autobody shop I had it assessed at stated they would not paint it because the rust would return and maybe even worse including Vickar Nissan Autobody repair shop! I have personally witnessed other Maximas with same problem! I now own a rusting 2017 Nissan Maxima. While I love the car would I buy another? Would you?

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

I bought a 2014 Nissan Maxima in 2018. It had 60k miles on it but appeared to be in great condition. I LOVED this car, I loved the sporty look, the power, and the interior design. Unfortunately at 70k I started to have major issues with it. The engine started knocking and I was told by Nissan that it needed new main engine bearings ($2,500) but that my best bet would be to replace the engine (about $6,000+). I'm not saying that all Nissans are bad but I will say I had an awful experience and will not by from Nissan again. Buyer beware!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

Had an issue with front control arm. Corporate told me they would send a tow truck to house to take to closest dealership. I knew what was wrong with my 2016 Maxima from the get go. Nissan Consumer Affair (Corporate) agent asked for pictures and I immediately provided them. She failed to tell me that she was going away for 4 days. I called everyday with no assistance. Contacted another agent and zero help. Got a crazy number from dealer to fix and I told them I'd get my own mechanic to fix it. Had tow truck go pick up my car and they won't release my car because they want $100 for diagnose. It was never discussed with either Nissan Consumer, nor the dealership.

I asked for a supervisor for Nissan Consumer to get back to me and it's been a waiting game. They should be responsible to work it out with the dealership. When we take a car to any mechanic they look at your car and provide you an estimate so one can make a decision whether to have them provide the work or not. I also had a safety recall for my car which has been paid off and I never got notification from Nissan. Stay away from Nissan Consumer Affairs (Corporate) and furthermore, stay away from Wesley Chapel Nissan in Wesley Chapel Tampa Florida.

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I’ve had my 2016 Nissan Maxima since Oct 2015. It has 92k. It started giving me problems at 50k when the check engine light popped on. I took my car to Nissan one day after filling up to let them know my car was jerking afterwards. A mechanic hopped in to ride around the block with me. He suggested I stop using Kroger’s cheap gas. I did. At 62k I went back to get it service. They told me I was out of warranty and I would have to pay. I left upset because I was unaware of a 60k warranty which doesn’t make sense on a new car. I knew I was getting ripped off. My car cut off on me at 89k. Instead of diagnosing it they told me it was the fuel pump. I had to spend like $1000 to replace it and a $1000 on rental.

At 91k it cut off again weeks after paying out of my pocket for something I don’t think was the issue. My check engine light was still on after they replaced it. So it was obvious to me that wasn’t the problem. Whatever it's a manufacture problem not mine so I shouldn’t have to pay for bad parts Nissan threw on my car for a sale. Why should a Nissan under 100k breakdown and Nissan act like it’s not their fault they just want their money?

Original review: July 3, 2018

I’ve owned a Nissan since 1994 and never had any major issues with Nissan until recently. In 1999, I purchased my first new Maxima, and I drove the car for over 300,000 miles and never had to do any major work to the vehicle except for a new starter and an alternator. I purchased another Maxima in 2009 SV and traded it in for a new 2011 Maxima SV. The 2011 Maxima has given me very high stress because of the MAJOR ISSUES with the transmission. Nissan knew there were major transmission issues with their vehicles, even their premier vehicle, the Nissan Maxima, so they put an extended warranty on the transmissions for multiple makes of Nissan from the year 2007-2012.

There are other complaints about Nissan’s 2017 models transmissions as well. February 14, 2017, I was driving the vehicle and in the middle of the expressway in Atlanta, GA, the transmission went out, causing the car to stall in the middle of extremely heavy traffic. I contacted Nissan Corporate office, (1-800-NISSAN-1) and expressed my concerns as a loyal consumer of their vehicle. After they investigated that my vehicle had less than 100,000 miles on it at the time, they decided to fix it, and take care of the bill, over $3,000 for cost of repairs and labor charges and only provided a 1 year or 12,000 miles warranty on the replaced transmission.

One year and four months later the transmission went out again, with the same issue from last year. The vehicle currently has 113,000 miles on it now. I contacted Nissan again and opened another case for them to review, and this time with no prevail, Nissan informed me that they would NOT provide me with any assistance to fix the transmission that the Nissan dealership replaced. I, just like other consumers of this product is outraged with a multibillion-dollar company who want consumers to purchase their products, but can’t stand behind the product they’re offering. BUYER BEWARE! Nissan also has a lawsuit against them about this very transmission issue, along with lemon law cases and other complaints from consumers about their major transmission issue.

Original review: May 13, 2018

Bought a Nissan Maxima 2007 used about three months ago. It did great the first two weeks then slipping and jerking in tranny. Used car dealer went above and beyond to fix for me and replaced the transmission but problem was still there when I got it back. Engine light came on along with slip light and TSC light, it died and was hard to start. Took it and had it put on reader and it showed crankshaft positioning sensor. Replaced that and problem stopped for a week... Now it's back again. So over this car but can't return it or so I'm told... It's my problem now. Ugh. Please Nissan help us. Great gas mileage, roomy interior, pretty car. Perfect for my family but can't drive something that won't stay running right.

Original review: May 9, 2018

Love my Maxima. It's fully loaded and has all the modern features you need. Stylish, fast, and comfortable. Plus, great stereo system. I will always buy Nissan Maximas.

Original review: May 4, 2018

Nissan Maxima is a great car. Comfortable, easy to maneuver. Great on gas when traveling or for everyday use. Nice family car or sports car. A lot of trunk space for shopping sprees or luggage.

Original review: April 29, 2018

This vehicle is fully equipped the latest safety features available on this model. The ride is excellent and the engine runs smooth. The gas Mileage is good for this size vehicle. It is a outstanding value for a great car.

Original review: April 3, 2018

I have been a loyal customer since 2003, I have only owned a SUV and leased a car. I have had it for 1 yr and with my back problems it is very difficult to get in and out and there is also a problem with the trunk. It has hit my face twice now causing swelling and bruising. Long story short I tried to get back into a SUV but it was impossible. This is a matter of health, not I want, but I guess Nissan does not care about loyalty. I wish someone would contact me regarding many issues I have had with my Nissan Maxima.

Original review: March 21, 2018

I bought a new Maxima 2016, in May 2017 the car did not start, towed to dealer, got phone call from the dealer that the car has diesel fuel, later changed his story to contaminated gas. Dealer informed me that it is not covered by warranty. Charged me $967.75 either pay or leave the car. Paid and took the car. Drove it home with engine light on. Checked the bill I found wrong mileage on the bill. I took the car back to the same dealer for oil change and checking the engine light in August with less mileage than what the dealer stated. The answer was so it is just a TYPO. "Could it have been another car?" For the engine light they 'fixed it', Took the car home. 2 days later engine light back on, Took the car back, the new news is the CATALYTIC CONVERTER is burned up cost $1950 kindly discounted too! 1474.36. It is a mess. WOW. NO MORE NISSAN.

Original review: March 7, 2018

Purchased this car a couple of years ago. I take very good care of my car and take it to the Nissan dealership for routine maintenance. Check engine soon light came on and the car was taking off slowly. Dropped car off this morning and was later told that the transmission was gone. $5500... Really. The car has less than 100K miles on it. I asked the mechanic, “Was this a known issue” and he stated, “No.” I am on this site and is learning that it is a known issue. I can't believe that this has happened to me. Who readily has $5500 sitting around for a new transmission? Be honest and take some ownership!

Original review: Feb. 28, 2018

I have a 2009 Nissan Maxima...melting and cracking dashboard. Nissan consumer affairs unwilling to help...unsafe now due to glare on a sunny day, I’m sure they’ll wait till somebody dies from this to consider fixing the problem.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

My car has been in the service department for 4 days now and still waiting on Nissan to inform me whether or not they will contribute to the $4,858 price to replace a failed transmission in my 2014 90k mile Maxima. I purchased brand new from Fred HAAS and had all maintenance done at this dealership. Hoping Nissan will contribute to the cost of repairing for their failed product. Was told I would have an answer 3 days ago.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I have owned several Nissans and by far, the Maxima is the most comfortable. Rides smoothly, and great gas mileage. The car is a 2004 and I can do a round trip ride (about 180 miles) on only an eighth of a tank of gas. This is also with my air conditioner on.

Original review: Nov. 3, 2017

Add my name to the list of failed 2013 Nissan Maxima CVT transmission failures. My vehicle had less than 100K on it, I got all my service done at the dealer. I purchased my vehicle brand new. I believe Nissan is aware of this problem, they extended the warranty period before and they need to do it again. Many of us have paid out money for something that Nissan should have covered. They know there is a problem it started several years ago and it was never fixed. Despite their saying otherwise. They make a pretty car, but it is garbage.

Original review: Oct. 28, 2017

I would like to share what happen to me today. I was driving my 2004 Nissan Maxima and it caught a fire while I was driving on the freeway to church. This is very upsetting but I am grateful that I am still alive. I wish there is something I can do because I just got the car in Aug 31, 2017. I didn't have the car very long. But the engine caught on fire. This is crazy to me. I could have lost my life and my family could be making arrangement for me but praise God I am alive to tell Nissan they should recall these cars asap.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

I've have a 2006 6 speed Nissan Maxima with approximately $80k miles. I am the original owner! I just experienced having to put a second clutch into my car. When the Nissan dealer was putting the clutch assembly in they noticed the firewall was cracked, told me I would have to take it to a body shop to be welded. Body shop give me an estimate of $1200. So I called Nissan Headquarters because I did my research and apparently this has happened to 2006 to 2017 Nissan cars!!! Nissan Corp Consumer Affairs would not assist me in paying for the Firewall to be welded!!

I was hoping they would do the job without me paying, but they wouldn't even help me pay for it!!! I'm outraged! As big as Nissan is this malfunction with Clutch Petal Brackets coming off the firewall has been happening since 1998!!! So now I have to find a body shop who won't charge me a arm and leg to weld!! I'm disappointed in NISSAN CORP, for not seeing this problem has been going on for decades! Beware when buying a Nissan Stick!!! They won't help you! Regardless if your mileage is low!!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2017

I've been considering a new slightly used car. My 1997 Maxima is 20y old and leather upholstery/interior is failing from sun exposure. But after reading about bad Nissan CVT transmissions in newer Maximas, and other common expensive repairs I'm not buying one. In 190,000 miles, I've had 2 idler pulleys fail and 1 coil at 171K. Total repair costs in 20 years: $100 for parts and I did the labor myself. Even the brakes lasted 160k. Paint is perfect. This car has been a true gem compared to quality and cost to own of newer models. Might as well keep it till it dies. Isn’t worth much to sell or trade. Thank you Consumer Affairs and everyone who has reported issues with their vehicles. This site is a huge asset and budget protector for a used car purchasing decision.

Original review: July 31, 2017

I purchased my 2005 Maxima in 2006 and liked it very much until it started hesitating and jerking when accelerating or slowing down. Felt like the gears were slipping. While driving up a steep mountain road the car will not go over 20 mph. There are a lot of complaints online about the transmissions but the 2005 Nissan Maxima is not included in any of the recalls. The cost of a new transmission from a local vendor is $3500 used or $4000 + new. I do not choose to replace the transmission in a car that is 12 years old but it is still a nice car. What should I do with the car?

Original review: July 29, 2017

I would never buy another Nissan. My 2009 had the steering column lock up like so many others, and yet they refuse to recall. Had to have car towed and cost me around 1200 to get it fixed. What LOUSY service. You know there is a problem but leave it to your customers to resolve it. Well I won't have to ever resolve another issue - I will never buy your car again!

Original review: July 5, 2017

I have a 2016 Nissan Maxima which I bought new last year. Two weeks ago, I took my car to Baker Nissan for a oil change in which it was discovered that there is a recall on my car. The recall has to replace the ABS. Two days after the recall has been fixed, I was on my way to work when the emergency breaking light came on. I informed Baker Nissan and was asked to bring it in to check it. I dropped my vehicle at Baker Nissan and was told to come get it the next day. I picked it up two days after. I picked it up on the third day and was told that the part was replaced.

On my way to work the next day, the light came back on again and I informed Baker Nissan and was told to bring it in to be checked. I took my car in the next day and was told to come get it the next day. I went the next day and was told that the the emergency breaking system light had been reprogrammed. I left the dealership and the following day, on my way to work when I step on the break, the radio and the dashboard goes off on me. I drove it for couple of days if there will be an improvement. But all to no avail and it even got to the stage that the car radio and the dashboard goes off without even stepping on the break.

I then took my car back to Baker Nissan and explained the situation to both the general manager and the service advisor manager **. They were so passionate and my car was retained and promised to check the vehicle. The car as a Mr. ** promised will be ready tomorrow 7/5/2017. My problem now is that I'm scared of driving the car as I do not know what might happen next. I always take the freeway to work and the speed limit is 70 miles. I lose so much confidence in the car as I do not want it to stop on me on the freeway. Life is very precious and important. Please help out and other that have the latest Nissan Maxima. PLEASE!!!

Original review: June 15, 2017

Purchased a 2005 Nissan Maxima for my daughter. At 160,000 the car would hesitate and jerk when accelerating. Felt like the gears were slipping. While driving down a 50 MPH one lane road the car would not go over 20 mph. Come to find out that although there are many complaints on Nissan transmissions, the 2005 Nissan Maxima is not included in any of the recalls. I can't afford an transmission and cannot allow my daughter to drive such an unsafe vehicle. Now stuck with a car sitting in my driveway. Never again will we buy Nissan.

Original review: April 19, 2017

Every time I drive my 2011 Maxima, and see that SES light which won't go out due to code P0101, which is associated with the MAF, and has at least two TSB's (SB-10044780-2778 SB-10044780-9331) which call for an ECU update, I realize that I'm stuck holding the bag - the cost - whatever it may be. Thanks a lot Nissan, for showing me what your customer support and loyalty is all about.

Nissan Maxima Company Information