Nissan Maxima

Compare Car Models

Research top Car Models recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

On November 1 I dropped my daughter to school and came back home with my car. As I was getting ready to go to work the work would not bulge. It was dead. I thought it was the battery so I went to Auto Zone to get for both keys but that was not the issue. I called a friend who works for Nissan and he told me it might be the Escl malfunction. I YouTubed and Googled the issue and sure enough there is such a problem but it's not supposed to happen to my model not 2010. According to Nissan, written on their website that it was fixed and the warranty is only extended to 09 model.

So I called consumer affairs. A very nasty, condescending, smart behind Mike gave me a hard time until I told him to check question 7 in the same faq's he was asking me to read. It was then he transferred me to Angela the regional manager for Nissan. I explained the situation to her and she kept telling me that the my car did not have the warranty. IF IT'S A MALFUNCTION, Angela from Nissan told me that my case would be reviewed and they would let me know what actions they would take. The Nissan Dealer Gregoris were very nasty too. Maria was not trying to hear anything I had to say. Again I was told that my car is not under warranty for that issue. People it's a malfunction. The car totally shuts down.

I've read online on many complaints that NISSAN owns about the issue but does not want to class it as a recall. I ended up paying $1078 for the part and labor. Nissan consumer affairs called me immediately after I picked up the car and told me that they could not help. I will never purchase another Nissan nothing. Nissan does not care for their customers’ safety. I could have been anywhere and my car could have shut down on me like that. Nissan sucks.

My 2006 Nissan Maxima started slipping gears at about 80,000 miles, just about after the manufacture warranties were up. This make the 2nd Nissan Maxima I have owned and the 2nd transmission problem I I have had. I waited 10 years to buy another Nissan after my first experience with Maxima transmission problems, thinking "surely they have figured out how to make better transmissions..." Boy was I wrong! My first Maxima cost me almost $4000 to repair back in 2000. NOW I'm told this transmission will cost about $3500 to repair (needing a complete rebuild).

This is NOT a new problem with Nissan. My 2006 now has a hard time finding a gear in automatic, when it does, it SLAMS into gear, then quickly looses gear again as it searches for the next gear. I have to switch over to to the manual gear shifting so the car will stay in each gear. Occasionally, the transmission will get stuck in 5th gear if I have been on the highway for a while. The only way to disengage the gear is to stop the car, turn off the engine, restart the car and put it into gear, where the transmission instantly SLAMS into 1st gear again. This makes for a VERY UNSAFE DRIVING CONDITION. I would like NISSAN to own up to the fact that they are producing very poor quality and UNSAFE transmissions. Are they simply waiting for people to die before they fix their mistakes?

Purchased a 2013 Nissan Maxima. Hit 70,000 & the CVT transmission is bad. I've had the car for less than 1 year. Contacted Nissan & was advised that it was nothing they could do being that I just had passed the 70,000 warranty. I'm pissed & will never do business with this company. It's definitely not fair that the consumer has to pay for the company false standards. The car was poorly made with this terrible transmission that Nissan knows is bad but continues to put in their cars.

I bought a beautiful "looking" 2010 Maxima with less than 18,000 miles on it after looking for several weeks for used car. I have had no less than 5 catastrophic failures with the vehicle. Good luck buying an extended warranty on a vehicle if you spend 1300.00 every 5 months repairing it. Power steering went, won't pass Wisconsin emissions without problems and sensors galore. You will get stuck somewhere and require a tow when push start fails without warning... and though Nissan is aware of it, they will not help you. I could go on, but just read the rest of reviews and steer clear of Nissan.

Never again will buy a Nissan. Their cars suck and they dealerships suck. Money pit. Everything started to fall apart at 62000 miles. Go figure.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nissan?

I have a 2012 Maxima with 67,000 miles and the CVT just went on it. The "service engine soon" light came on, I continued to drive the car for a day, then loud, high-pitched, sounds started coming from the car. I tried to take it 2 miles to a service station the next morning to get the sounds, and warning light diagnosed and halfway there the car went into "limp mode." I pulled off to the side of the road, put my hazard flashers on, and at 2 mph crawled into the service station.

After 30 minutes the mechanic informed me my transmission (CVT) was shot and that they don't work on CVTs but only replace them. A new one with labor would be $5,500 and a used CVT with labor $3900. Not only did my CVT fail, I've had the navigation system fail at 35,000 miles but the whole unit was replaced under warranty. Now the backup camera is not working and the sun-roof shutters when closing. The car is garage kept, not driven in snow and has had all maintenance kept up to date. How does a $39,000 car have so many problems within the first 4 years of ownership?

I have contacted Nissan and have tried to work my way through the lower level support reps. who are there only to frustrate angry consumers and deflect them from getting real answers from upper management. I have owned many cars in my years and have had plenty of small problems but never had a transmission go out. I had a Volkswagen Rabbit (showing my age) in high school and drove that in college and finally sold it with 185,000 miles on it and the transmission still worked fine. I still own a 98 Jeep Wrangler and the transmission works fine. I had a Ford Explorer with 132,000 miles on it before getting rid of it and that transmission worked fine. There is obviously a defect in the engineering of the Nissan's CVT and I was unlucky enough to buy one.

I just wish Nissan would stand behind their mistake instead of pretending it doesn't exist. If a 1982 Volkswagen Rabbit selling new for $9,100 can get close to 200,000 miles on the engine and transmission I would think that a 2012 Nissan Maxima costing $39,000, with today's technology, could at least equal that. I am woefully wrong.

I repaired autos for 20 years. I had over 30 car in my life! And this 07 Nissan Maxima is the worst vehicle I've ever had. The cvt transmission is slipping noisy garbage, the front floor pans are rotten? The rear abs sensors short out and burn up traction control module. $$. The rear brake calipers seized up and burned off the brakes. The ac clutch grinding when turned on. The blower motor makes horrible noise when it feels like it? This car in the snow will not go over 20mph, will not stop or steer. 20.000$ car and no one wants this p.o.s. Never again. Sad example for a car maker.

Let's first be clear that when I say this it will hit the fan!!! I work for a Dodge dealership and found out on this past Saturday how Nissan got over on great loyalty customers!!! I own a 2009 Nissan Maxima S with 95K!! On last week my vehicle would not start. It had two lights on the dash a red security light and a yellow key light that mean something was wrong with the steering lock system!! I google my car, but to my surprise many others were having the same problem with their 2009-2010 Nissan Maxima and Altima!!! Then found out that Nissan had put a 6 year unlimited warranty mileage on this part which is the steering lock module!!! Of course my car was out of the warranty!!!

Here come the part that made me very upset. I call my local Nissan dealership here in Columbia, SC and was told it would cost about $1100 to fix my car and the part itself was $790. I reach out to Nissan North America for help due to the fact this was a defective part that was not replace. They call me back today and said they wouldn't assist. Anyway the dealership I work for call the same local Nissan store and got the part for $499 and I went to Lowe's on yesterday to buy a special tool call easy out to take the part off my car!!! It took me every bit of 20 minutes to fix my car and I'm not a mechanic!!! So what I'm getting at is that a lot of consumers paid close to $1100 for a $700 job max!!! Thanks Nissan for showing the American people who buy your product or brand how much you care!!!

Just got to a accident last week. As I was driving into my parking space at my complex halfway into my parking space my car just took off on me AND accelerated and I could not react quick ENOUGH to do. Over $5000 in damage. Lucky for me I didn't hurt or crash into anyone. Can someone help me and direct me to what should I do next. THANK YOU.

I purchased a 2013 Nissan Maxima in April 2015. It's now December 2015 and my transmission is bad in the vehicle and needs to be rebuilt. I only have about 70,000 miles on the odometer and of course my warranty on the vehicle is no longer valid. This is really frustrating because this is a new vehicle which I haven't got to use for a whole year yet. Nissan service department has quoted me $5,000 to repair the transmission. I'll be better off putting the $5000 down on a new more reliable car brand. Please be careful when buying a Nissan. You'll end up in more debt and won't get the opportunity to enjoy the vehicle because you will stay having to take it to the shop for different repairs. This was my first and last Nissan.

I own a beautiful dark blue 2005 Nissan Maxima. But it is the pits, a lemon. Transmission was replaced and it went bad just after the warranty went out. Now I am broke down. Merry Christmas Nissan!!!

I replaced my transmission in my 2004 Nissan Maxima at the Nissan dealership. Two years later the transmission is acting up. I went to the store and got back in my car, put it in drive and the car wouldn't move so I gave it a little gas and it still wouldn't move. Then I cut the car off for 15 mins then put the car in gear then it made a thump noise like it was hung up. So what do I need to do I am feed up. Transmission are not cheap. I love the car because I needs to work but scared to drive the car. It might put me down somewhere.

Nissan Maxima 2006 - I would like to mention that I just want the car fixed at this time at no cost to me. The history of the car I mentioned on the initial call, parts have been replaced since 10/26/2015 and I yet to know if it has corrected the initial problem which is car turning off while I am driving. The tcs, slip and check engine lights up, which Scott at service witness and even drove the car. Many parts have been replaced but yet the car turned off again.

The initial pick up, the battery was dead and was charged. I then drove the car from the back of the dealer lot to the front and it turned off with all lights appearing again. Scott then drove the car and kept it to diagnose again. Originally, the engine mount and transmission mount was replace and a cam sensor but still the car turn off. In the process of me writing this email, I received a call from Nissan corporate and they are standing their ground as to me paying the extra labor

It is unfortunate that decisions were made unknown to me on a repair of a seized bolt which has now put me in a situation where additional labor is needed because the technician decided to break the bolt without my consent of verifying if the warranty would pay for it. I think this is unacceptable, and disappointing customer service. I will definitely share my thoughts and concerns with the attorney general of consumer affairs, better business bureau, and every social media, and review of team Nissan.

In closing I will also consult with a lawyer since I was not given an option to get my vehicle and option to take elsewhere where now I am force or obligated to pay a labor expense which will not guarantee my car is yet fixed correctly. I personally think they are just trying to make money off my extended warranty. I believe the dealer is taking advantage of the warranty as well as me the consumer with price gouging, since originally the warranty was going to be charged $850.00 and suddenly the same work can be done for $350.00. Let alone should I mentioned that parts have been replaced to the tune of 1500.00 and yet my car still has the same problem. Sincerely, unsatisfied customer, and disgusted and disappointed on the service received.

Time to file a lawsuit. We bought a 2010 Nissan and just finished paying it off. However, the paint on the hood and roof are shot. Even people at the dealership agreed they had never seen anything as bad as this. We took all the steps, opened a case, had pictures taken at the dealership, waited patiently, and was very confident that Nissan would do the right thing and get this taken care of. After all, we read that this was a common complaint and Nissan did fix the problem with others. We just heard back. Nissan will not do anything. Not only have they lost a customer, I will make sure that pictures and reviews are posted everywhere with warnings to never buy a Nissan because they do not consistently stand behind their product.

I purchased a 2007 Nissan Maxima new in March of 2007. Every 3 months the cars has had an oil change and any work done that was recommended by service dept. I wash the car weekly and wax and hand wax monthly. All this so called stainless steel trim (which I learned is just plastic that is covered with stainless steel looking tape) has came off. The headliner in the rear of the car is starting to fall down. It appears that Nissan was too cheap to use an inch more or material to tuck it under before they glued it to headliner board.

Did I mention the cars doesn't even have 15,000 miles on it yet? Last time I looked at the odometer it had 14,895 on it. I had brakes done, serpentine belt done at under 7000 miles, exhaust, interior floor sills that was replaced because they were starting to rot and are starting to rot again, which I also supposed to be made of stainless steel. Every time I called Nissan USA they told me "there's nothing they can do because each dealer is independently owned." I realized the car is over its warranty time now and there's nothing I can do. But I will never buy another Nissan Product and I wish everyone reading this will not buy one either!

I purchased a 2007 Nissan Maxima in 2007. Since then, I have had to replace/repair the following: catalytic converter, power steering pump, high pressure power steering hoses, motor mounts, both drivers side and passenger side sun visors, passenger side side view mirror, new battery every two years, hydraulic trunk struts. I drive extremely conservatively, have not been in a wreck, do regular and scheduled maintenance. I know of no other person who owns a car of any make, model or year that has had as many high dollar repair/replacements as I have had with this car. I will never buy Nissan again.

I am experiencing the same problem with my 2005 Nissan Maxima. Bought this car in 2011 with 43,000 miles. This issue happened back in March 2015 when it began jerking hard almost came to a closed call when engine rev at 2,000rpms. Took to a mechanic he said that my transmission is gone. Tried fixing but the repair was very expensive. A buddy of mine did add new parts on making it work again but there was problem this time much worst. This time my car is jerking violently into 2nd and 3rd gear even just replaced motor mounts. I've had trouble with engine burning 2 quarts of oil plus catalytic converter needs to be fixed. My car is nice looking but think that wouldn't consider another Nissan after this problem car sound like has diesel after taking off. I think Nissan should have recalled these cars. Now I'm losing a lot of money in minimal repairs. Even transmission is dangerous after car begins in jerking very violently. Thinking trading off on a much more reliable brand. YOU LOST NISSAN!!!

In 2006 bought 2004 Nissan Maxima. Tranny begin jerking 5 years after purchase! Had valve body replaced. 2 years later jerking comes back and stuck in 4th gear! What a piece of junk! Going back to American Cars!!

Me and my wife purchased a Nissan Maxima 2005 about a year ago from a dealer. Transmission is giving us problems. It's jerking. I also heard a lot of complaints about the transmissions in the Nissan.

I purchased a 2008 Nissan Max 5 years ago at 32,000 miles. This year my car reached 119,000 miles and my troubles began. Local Nissan Dealer replaced a part in the tranny, but three months later the car only goes into drive with the ac off. I can press the accelerator to the floor and it won't go so when I turn the air off it then goes into gear. Nissan claims all test are clear and they cannot duplicate problem. So, what's confusing is that it happens seldomly. Any ideas would be helpful!

I didn't even have my car for a year yet and my check engine light came on then came off then came on and then came off. The dealer said nothing is wrong then my transmission starting slipping, shifting, hard slamming into gear and they say it will cost $3000 to fix. I'm about to have my first child and need my car to be fixed. I live in Connecticut where it is about to be winter soon and we get very bad snow storms and prices, taxes are unbelievable high. I need help. This isn't fair. Nissan should have fixed my car. For now it's just in the back sitting there. God where are you!!!!!!

I'm only 20. I have an 04 Maxima and I feel like my damn transmission is about to fall. When I'm slowing down it kicks, so disgusting. Never again will I buy a Nissan car. Ima stick to Chevy.

I have a Nissan Maxima 2005. This car only have 41590 miles. Few month ago start having shifting problem. Went to Nissan dealer and they told me that the problem were the engine support. I change the engine support but the problem continue the same (spent over $400.00). Now I have to deal with the transmission solenoid to see if that solve the problem (provably another don't know how many hundred). I took a look at Nissan extended warranty and they did extend it to 10 years or 120,000 miles meaning they recognize there is transmission problem but the surprise was that 2005 to 2007 Maxima are not included in this warranty. Don't know why because the 10 years are inside that period of extension. It may be that there are too many Maxima with the same problem? If someone have any idea let me know.

Since we purchased this car about 6 months ago the electrical system has had some kind of short where it causes all of the lights to turn on and the seat heaters turn on as well and in no time at all the battery was dead. There is some strange clicking noise under the hood and the only way to stop it is to disconnect the battery. After 2 trips to the dealer we still don't have an answer.

On the latest dealer visit the technician told my wife that the cause of the problem was the fact that she had the headlights set on auto!! And then after running their diagnostics they informed my wife that the battery cable and terminals needed replacing and it would cost almost $600.00 to have this done!! There is an electrical problem in the car and I am afraid that when it shorts out one of these times it will catch fire and burn up. I just hope we are not in it when this happens!! Nissan should do something about this problem. They should also stop their technicians from pushing unwarranted repairs on people.

The day after I purchased the car, the engine light came on and so I took it back to the dealer who sent it to a Nissan dealership in which I was told that 3 different codes showed up and they would take care of it. Come to find out they only took care of one of the codes and the car was returned a week later and later that night the engine service light came back on so I returned it back to the dealer and of course the car failed inspection.

So long story short, both the dealer and Nissan dealership knew the car had all of these problems which they claimed to have fixed and the dealer even went to get an inspection sticker on my car the same day my warranty was due to expire. I have only had this car for about 3 months and even though they claim nothing else is showing on the diagnostic test, I've been having nothing but problems. I wish I would've returned the car when the first service engine light came on instead of listening to the dealer who promised to have the car fixed.

My 02 Maxima has been my favorite car I've ever bought. As soon as I drove it off the lot within 2 months my exhaust was rotted so bad it fell off the car. Now my car is taking hard left's by itself. I replaced all brakes rotors control arms and inner and outer tie rods. Still did nothing. Now my trans is starting to slip. It will rev up to almost 4,000 before shifting. I know it's going to go any day and I don't have the money to fix it. I was using my brother in law's car a few weeks back, here's this story.

06 Maxima Drove fine until one day it jolted hard enough to give you whiplash and once that happened it took 2 days for the transmission to break. NISSAN tried calling them to see if there is anything we can do considering most of my family have Maxima or Altima. They could have cared less. NISSAN does NOT care about their customers whatsoever. I suggest everyone on here calls and calls until we get transmissions recalled. This is not fair to anyone who owns a Nissan and something needs to be done.

I have owned several Nissans for many years now. Right now I am having my worst experience especially since I am being told I have to replace my transmission. I have already replaced several other parts in my car in the last three months, and I am very frustrated and think Nissan should definitely do something and stand up to the consumer since I have researched and found many of the Nissan cars all seem to have transmission problems plus other issues. I also do not understand why there are class action suits for Nissan but find nothing for the Nissan Maxima 2005 model even though it seems like everyone is having these transmission problems and this is also not the only year that is having these same problems. So even if you fix the transmission the car is worth **. Owners of the Maxima models should be all be given a buyback problem for any of us that still have a financial burden.

It all started a year and half into owning my 2011 Nissan Maxima. First issue was the engine mount, which cracked and eventually broke. I was told by the Nissan dealership in which I purchased the car from that that particular mount was not covered by my 60K/60 month warranty and that it would cost $1,000.00+ to repair due to labor. Then, within that same year and a half, the battery went completely dead and needed to be replaced, luckily, my warranty reimbursed me for that. Then, in the 3rd year, the battery went dead AGAIN and needed to be replaced along with the battery cables since they were corroded.

In that same time frame, I began having driveability issues and my check engine light illuminated. My car began to burn gas like crazy, stall, jerk (hiccup), and shut off on at any given moment whether I was in motion or stopped. I took it to a shop (not the dealer) to have the code pulled and it came back as P0101, which is Mass Air Flow. I was told the MAF Sensor needed to be replaced, so I purchased an OEM MAF Sensor and replaced that part BUT, my check engine light was still on and wouldn't go off by itself so I had it professionally reset. Then, the light came back and I again had driveability issues (same issues as I previously listed).

Took it back to the same shop and they reset the light again since they said there were no other issues they could locate. Later that same day, the light came back on! So I finally took it to the dealership, paid the $140.00 for the full diagnosis only to be told my car needed to be reflashed! REALLY Nissan?! You couldn't give a courtesy call or bulletin to advise your customers of this? I had children in my car when all of the stalling and jerking was happening, this was a MAJOR safety concern and Nissan couldn't even alert their customers. So basically, me buying the $240.00 sensor was a waste since all my car needed was an update!

Anyway, during this time, I am also told the following all need repairing: Shocks are leaking, antifreeze hose is leaking, control arms need to be replaced, need new front tires, and a front end alignment. Now, some of those things are just wear and tear (especially because I have 98K miles on the car and it is my only commuter/leisure car) but some of these other things are MAJOR repairs that shouldn't even be needed on a car I purchased brand new with 19 miles on it! Needless to say, I am BEYOND angry with this entire Nissan experience. So the moral of the story: I called Nissan Corporate and started a case documenting ALL of my problems from day one and I am now in contact with an attorney because I feel completely robbed and put in jeopardy due to ALL of the driveability issues I've had over the last 4 years!

The transmission is no good after only 113,000 miles and timing chain ticking after the company knows its faulty parts.

Ok so August of 2014 I had my 2007 Nissan Maxima CVT replaced. October the inner axle seals blew out. Had them replaced. December car was hesitating to go into reverse. February same issue with reverse. April same thing. May there's a whining noise. July 1st 2015 the dealer takes up on highway. The CVT is failing. They tell me they're not doing anything about it that I need to come up with $6,000.00 to fix??? 27,000 miles and it is shot. Makes no sense. The car has a known issue from time put in to now with a good paper trail. I would think it's time to contact the BBB and a lawyer. Bought car last year. 53 times taken to dealer for anti freeze leak, nothing. Still losing anti freeze. Both head gaskets replaced. Any help would be great.

Nissan Maxima Company Profile