Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
3.92/5

Nissan Maxima

While early models of the Nissan Maxima were small sedans, newer models are considered luxury sedans. Read more Nissan reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

766 Nissan Maxima Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 9, 2019

I own a 2017 Nissan Maxima. Suddenly, my front windshield received a large break on the passenger side of the front windshield while parked in my driveway. The damage began at the bottom of the windshield and spread all the way to the top. I was perplexed as to how the damage occurred. When the glass repair person came out to replace the window, the first thing he said was, "this is a stress break from a manufactured defect". He began to show me how the tint on the window on the bottom and the top of the window was bubbling.

He said there are no cracks or dings on the window; so the damage did not spread from previous damage. It was very logical because I previously owned a 2013 Maxima and the back windshield had to be replaced because it started to bubble horribly. My 2013 back windshield was replaced free of charge because I took it to the dealership for them to review it and they had several cars scheduled to repair because of "manufacture defect in the tint". This time, I had to pay to replace my window because I didn't know the break was caused by defect and I had not noticed the bubbling yet. I will contact Nissan.

Original review: April 23, 2019

When I went to make my first new car purchase, I was soooo excited! I thought I was going to love my Nissan Maxima. Within the first year of purchase, the side curtain airbags deployed on me... while I was at a complete stop! I submit my claim to Nissan, failing to understand why they might have deployed while my vehicle was just sitting there, yet Nissan claimed everything functioned properly and they bore no responsibility for "my" issue. However they could not tell me why the airbags even went off on the first place, and there was no one else I could ask to explain things to me either. It then progressed to them taking 3.5 months to fix my car (with only 12 hours of labor billed), while I was making payments on a vehicle I didn't even have in my possession.

Once I FINALLY got my Maxima back, my passenger window started rolling itself down multiple times, once with me even in the car watching it have a mind of its own! Took it back in, and guess what... They couldn't find anything wrong yet again! Next, I started having issues with the drive computer resting itself and the presents on my radio clearing themselves. Oh no, Nissan once more couldn't find anything wrong, yet at this point the car is still less than two years old. All I am offered is the chance to make another appointment. I simply cannot understand why Nissan will not back their vehicles and refuse to even talk about the issues with me. Every time I have talked with Consumer Affairs, I am passed off on the standard line of "there is nothing they can do to help me".

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 3, 2019

I bought a New 2017 Maxima Aug 22, 2017. Had rust develop in trunk drain where water runs off the rear windshield end of November 2017. The car was only two half months old. 4000 km. Vickar Nissan said it was rail dust from transport and used a clay bar and touch up paint to repair Dec 22 stating it would not return. The rust returned the end of February 2018! March 2018 rust developed on both the left and right side of the rear windshield in the very narrow drain beside the windshield! Now I want a new car. I don’t want the rear windshield removed to have it painted as Nissan Canada wants to do. Every Autobody shop I had it assessed at stated they would not paint it because the rust would return and maybe even worse including Vickar Nissan Autobody repair shop! I have personally witnessed other Maximas with same problem! I now own a rusting 2017 Nissan Maxima. While I love the car would I buy another? Would you?

Original review: Feb. 28, 2019

I bought a 2014 Nissan Maxima in 2018. It had 60k miles on it but appeared to be in great condition. I LOVED this car, I loved the sporty look, the power, and the interior design. Unfortunately at 70k I started to have major issues with it. The engine started knocking and I was told by Nissan that it needed new main engine bearings ($2,500) but that my best bet would be to replace the engine (about $6,000+). I'm not saying that all Nissans are bad but I will say I had an awful experience and will not by from Nissan again. Buyer beware!

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

Had an issue with front control arm. Corporate told me they would send a tow truck to house to take to closest dealership. I knew what was wrong with my 2016 Maxima from the get go. Nissan Consumer Affair (Corporate) agent asked for pictures and I immediately provided them. She failed to tell me that she was going away for 4 days. I called everyday with no assistance. Contacted another agent and zero help. Got a crazy number from dealer to fix and I told them I'd get my own mechanic to fix it. Had tow truck go pick up my car and they won't release my car because they want $100 for diagnose. It was never discussed with either Nissan Consumer, nor the dealership.

I asked for a supervisor for Nissan Consumer to get back to me and it's been a waiting game. They should be responsible to work it out with the dealership. When we take a car to any mechanic they look at your car and provide you an estimate so one can make a decision whether to have them provide the work or not. I also had a safety recall for my car which has been paid off and I never got notification from Nissan. Stay away from Nissan Consumer Affairs (Corporate) and furthermore, stay away from Wesley Chapel Nissan in Wesley Chapel Tampa Florida.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Nissan Maxima?

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I’ve had my 2016 Nissan Maxima since Oct 2015. It has 92k. It started giving me problems at 50k when the check engine light popped on. I took my car to Nissan one day after filling up to let them know my car was jerking afterwards. A mechanic hopped in to ride around the block with me. He suggested I stop using Kroger’s cheap gas. I did. At 62k I went back to get it service. They told me I was out of warranty and I would have to pay. I left upset because I was unaware of a 60k warranty which doesn’t make sense on a new car. I knew I was getting ripped off. My car cut off on me at 89k. Instead of diagnosing it they told me it was the fuel pump. I had to spend like $1000 to replace it and a $1000 on rental.

At 91k it cut off again weeks after paying out of my pocket for something I don’t think was the issue. My check engine light was still on after they replaced it. So it was obvious to me that wasn’t the problem. Whatever it's a manufacture problem not mine so I shouldn’t have to pay for bad parts Nissan threw on my car for a sale. Why should a Nissan under 100k breakdown and Nissan act like it’s not their fault they just want their money?

Original review: July 3, 2018

I’ve owned a Nissan since 1994 and never had any major issues with Nissan until recently. In 1999, I purchased my first new Maxima, and I drove the car for over 300,000 miles and never had to do any major work to the vehicle except for a new starter and an alternator. I purchased another Maxima in 2009 SV and traded it in for a new 2011 Maxima SV. The 2011 Maxima has given me very high stress because of the MAJOR ISSUES with the transmission. Nissan knew there were major transmission issues with their vehicles, even their premier vehicle, the Nissan Maxima, so they put an extended warranty on the transmissions for multiple makes of Nissan from the year 2007-2012.

There are other complaints about Nissan’s 2017 models transmissions as well. February 14, 2017, I was driving the vehicle and in the middle of the expressway in Atlanta, GA, the transmission went out, causing the car to stall in the middle of extremely heavy traffic. I contacted Nissan Corporate office, (1-800-NISSAN-1) and expressed my concerns as a loyal consumer of their vehicle. After they investigated that my vehicle had less than 100,000 miles on it at the time, they decided to fix it, and take care of the bill, over $3,000 for cost of repairs and labor charges and only provided a 1 year or 12,000 miles warranty on the replaced transmission.

One year and four months later the transmission went out again, with the same issue from last year. The vehicle currently has 113,000 miles on it now. I contacted Nissan again and opened another case for them to review, and this time with no prevail, Nissan informed me that they would NOT provide me with any assistance to fix the transmission that the Nissan dealership replaced. I, just like other consumers of this product is outraged with a multibillion-dollar company who want consumers to purchase their products, but can’t stand behind the product they’re offering. BUYER BEWARE! Nissan also has a lawsuit against them about this very transmission issue, along with lemon law cases and other complaints from consumers about their major transmission issue.

Original review: June 21, 2018

The Nissan Maxima is a quiet, easy to drive, ultra comfortable, attractive car that is large enough for the family, sporty sedan with enough power to get up and go. The car has a roomy design with comfortable seats for long trips, luxury feel interior with lots of extras, great handling in sport mode, great safety features. Needs automatic windshield wipers that start when it rains (particularly useful in southern states), sunroof should be included on the SV package, and the fog lights should be removable without removing the bumper.

Original review: June 17, 2018

Nissan Maxima is very reliable and easy taken care of. The navigation and back up camera have made for safer and better trips. It gets great gas mileage and has a lot of luxury features. I love the looks and reliability for this car. I like its GPS, heated seats, leather and Bose stereo. I had another Maxima previously and always had great outcome with it. I love the size but when it comes time to change tires, they are expensive.

Original review: June 13, 2018

Great car. It had a v8 engine, 6 cylinders. I never had a major problem with the car. Only changed tires on it once. Car looked good body wise and sounded good when started. Great power steering. Drove smoothly. Gas saver. Low mileage. Liked the color. All electric controls worked well. Bought used. And within my price range. It had a good A/C & heater. Speakers worked & played well. Everything worked within the car. I only added a sound system, new tires, windshield wipers to the car. Loved the 2003 Nissan Maxima.

Nissan Maxima Company Information