3.63/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Mercury Grand Marquis

The Mercury Grand Marquis is a sedan that was manufactured by Ford from 1975-2011. Read more Ford reviews to learn about other models.

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

20 Mercury Grand Marquis Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 13, 2018

The 1992 Ford Grand Marquis has so very, very many different luxuries and extra things that the card has that I would never have thought until after owning the car and running out of gas on the side of the road not knowing that I needed to reset the fuel reset in the trunk and the electric Dash did not help with the gas gauge. I also dislike the headlight switch. It has a very, very big trunk and a sub with spare tire. Also very, very roomy and very, very, very much space for none needed material with an electric dashboard and electric seats.

Original review: June 21, 2018

The Mercury Grand Marquis is very reliable, mid size and attractive. Fairly good gas mileage. Very comfortable for long trips. Nice leather seats. Sound speakers of good quality. Looks like a more expensive car. Large seating space. Less things to go wrong since it is outdated. Comfortable for traveling or short trips. The large trunk helps me transport lots of groceries or gardening supplies. Since it is an older model, it lacks modern things like GPS and track player is out of date. And the gas mileage could be better.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 23, 2017

I have a 2004 Grand Marquis that I bought in June 2013. Soon after I bought it my engine was overheating due to a cracked manifold that had to be replaced, which cost $1500. It's now Jan 2017, and I'm having to deal with either a gasket leak or a cracked manifold again. My car started hesitating and running very sluggish so I went to AutoZone and the code came back saying that it was either spark plugs or coil causing check engine light to come on. So, started replacing spark plugs and noticed one of the ports had oil in it, so now I know something else is wrong and take it in for repair. Gasket leaking antifreeze, Ignition coil #1, and oil filter housing has to be replaced. Total cost $1687.27.

I'm not happy after learning about crappy Ford parts. Ford is also selling ton of intake manifold on eBay to car repair shops. This will be the last time I buy a Ford. I don't feel like it is fair. I'm already dealing with this after 3 years, and I don't even put that many miles on the car. I only use it in town only. I hope Ford will compensate for this and turn unsatisfied Ford owners to a happy resolution.

Original review: Dec. 2, 2016

2005 Mercury Grand Marquis Intake Manifold part is faulty due to substandard plastic piece. Caused a crack and it leaked engine coolant and then caused engine to overheat. Coils and plugs needed replacing. Ford tends to use Plastic when they should not. The Ford company needs to recall the intake manifold because of this faulty part. Cost of replacement of coils and intake manifold over $1,300. Now car is bucking again and other coils may need replacing because of this slow leak.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2016

2004 Mercury Grand Marquis...I had my intake manifold crack and antifreeze got into the spark plugs, my son (a mechanic) replaced it with a non plastic one...no problems now... The temperature controlled air conditioning panel went out, it now will only blow hot air, no A/C. The headlights only work for a while. This is a recall that is being fixed soon. There is also a recall on the fuel filter that I will check on soon. Lastly, the catalytic converter going went out as well. I have done some research and have determined that the major issues reported with my vehicle is exhaust, air conditioning, intake manifold, and headlight issue, so it sounds pretty par to the course. Just FYI.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Mercury Grand Marquis?

Original review: March 19, 2016

I purchased a 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis last year. It had 101,000 miles on it at the time. I have had two major issues with the car since I've had it. First, no air would blow out of the dashboard vents, it would only blow out the defrost and floor vents. The dealership wanted $800 to repair the issue. I did some research and was able to rebuild the unit easily by replacing the o-rings in the solenoids. Apparently, Ford used really cheap o-rings when designing these units. I was able to order to o-rings from Amazon and the total cost was $11. The repair took less than 45 minutes to complete.

Next, at approximately 102,500 miles, my wife and I noticed that when coming to a stop, we would see steam coming out from under the hood. Also, when the heat was on, there was a strong smell of antifreeze. That turned out to be a cracked intake manifold. Apparently, Ford originally used cheap plastic when making these parts. The replacement of the part cost over $1000 but fortunately for me, I purchased an extended warranty with the car so I only paid a $250 deductible.

Both of these issues are common problems with the Ford Panther platform (Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Grand Marquis, and Lincoln Town Car). The car itself is quite an awesome machine despite these two faults. I currently have 104,000 miles on the car and plan on keeping it for at least another 104,000 miles. It's a shame that "American" car manufacturers take shortcuts and make otherwise great vehicles have problems like this. I have also had two GM cars with head gasket issues due to the company knowingly using less than quality materials to make these parts. Anyway, I hope this helps with anyone having these issues.

Original review: Jan. 14, 2016

Same thing here. Should be a recall. This is **. Look on eBay. They are selling thousands of intake manifolds.

Original review: Sept. 23, 2015

In the last month my Mercury had a failure of the air conditioning control panel. Two weeks later, the valve control module (made of plastic) failed. The two repairs cost me over $2000. My 2007 Grand Marquis has about 61,000 miles. Seems a bit soon to be having two major components of my a/c system fail.

Original review: May 16, 2015

I have a 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis Ls. On April 28, 2015 I was driving through downtown Sacramento when my car started hesitating and misfiring. I figured it might be caused by worn spark plugs so I took it home and proceeded to change the spark plugs and found oil in the spark plug ports. I had it towed to the auto repair facility only to find that I have a cracked intake manifold. I heard that Ford knew about this problem years earlier but continues to install them. Why? I am recently widowed and on disability. The cost was $690.00-- really out of my ability to pay.

Original review: March 23, 2015

Recently purchased my parents 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis. It has nearly 190,000 miles. Returning from a long trip the engine started to misfire and lose power. The ODB analyzer indicated a bad spark plug in cylinder #4. Upon replacing all spark plugs I found coolant leaking into the spark plug holes on cylinders 2, 3 & 4. Will have to replace at least the plastic intake manifold gaskets and possibly the entire intake manifold. If my parents had been driving this vehicle back from Florida it would have been a major problem to break down on the road and expensive to fix.

Mercury Grand Marquis Company Information