Mercury Grand Marquis

Compare Car Models

Research top Car Models recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I purchased a 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis last year. It had 101,000 miles on it at the time. I have had two major issues with the car since I've had it. First, no air would blow out of the dashboard vents, it would only blow out the defrost and floor vents. The dealership wanted $800 to repair the issue. I did some research and was able to rebuild the unit easily by replacing the o-rings in the solenoids. Apparently, Ford used really cheap o-rings when designing these units. I was able to order to o-rings from Amazon and the total cost was $11. The repair took less than 45 minutes to complete.

Next, at approximately 102,500 miles, my wife and I noticed that when coming to a stop, we would see steam coming out from under the hood. Also, when the heat was on, there was a strong smell of antifreeze. That turned out to be a cracked intake manifold. Apparently, Ford originally used cheap plastic when making these parts. The replacement of the part cost over $1000 but fortunately for me, I purchased an extended warranty with the car so I only paid a $250 deductible.

Both of these issues are common problems with the Ford Panther platform (Ford Crown Victoria, Mercury Grand Marquis, and Lincoln Town Car). The car itself is quite an awesome machine despite these two faults. I currently have 104,000 miles on the car and plan on keeping it for at least another 104,000 miles. It's a shame that "American" car manufacturers take shortcuts and make otherwise great vehicles have problems like this. I have also had two GM cars with head gasket issues due to the company knowingly using less than quality materials to make these parts. Anyway, I hope this helps with anyone having these issues.

Same thing here. Should be a recall. This is **. Look on eBay. They are selling thousands of intake manifolds.

In the last month my Mercury had a failure of the air conditioning control panel. Two weeks later, the valve control module (made of plastic) failed. The two repairs cost me over $2000. My 2007 Grand Marquis has about 61,000 miles. Seems a bit soon to be having two major components of my a/c system fail.

I have a 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis Ls. On April 28, 2015 I was driving through downtown Sacramento when my car started hesitating and misfiring. I figured it might be caused by worn spark plugs so I took it home and proceeded to change the spark plugs and found oil in the spark plug ports. I had it towed to the auto repair facility only to find that I have a cracked intake manifold. I heard that Ford knew about this problem years earlier but continues to install them. Why? I am recently widowed and on disability. The cost was $690.00-- really out of my ability to pay.

Recently purchased my parents 2003 Mercury Grand Marquis. It has nearly 190,000 miles. Returning from a long trip the engine started to misfire and lose power. The ODB analyzer indicated a bad spark plug in cylinder #4. Upon replacing all spark plugs I found coolant leaking into the spark plug holes on cylinders 2, 3 & 4. Will have to replace at least the plastic intake manifold gaskets and possibly the entire intake manifold. If my parents had been driving this vehicle back from Florida it would have been a major problem to break down on the road and expensive to fix.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Ford?

For more information about reviews on please visit our FAQ.

I have changed the spark plug in all 8 cylinders, which I might add four of them I had to buy a removal tool for because they were broke and had to be extracted. Also replaced the coil, Injector, and the intake Manifold and still I have a misfire on the number 3 cylinder. I have been a ford fan since 1972 and am very disappointed with the quality of this engine and am seriously contemplating never buying a ford product as long as I live.

My 2004 Grand Marquis started jerking while driving down the highway. I called Freedom Ford and made an appointment to get it checked out the next morning. They said I have a cracked manifold and antifreeze was leaking out. The repair cost is $1600. I purchased this car new in 2004 and have only 84,887 miles on it. If Ford knew these manifolds would crack, why didn't they do a recall? I am retired and on a fixed income and paying for this is a definite hardship. Why does it cost so much to replace a defective plastic manifold? After reading reviews, I see that this has been a problem with Ford vehicles for years. Why hasn't Ford responded?

I own four Ford vehicles - a 2010 Expedition, a 2009 Ford Pick Up, a 2001 Crown Victoria and a 1999 Mercury Grand Marquis. About two years ago, on a trip to Ruidoso, New Mexico from El Paso, TX (about a 3-hour drive), the Grand Marquis began exhibiting overheating issues while on our way to Ruidoso. I immediately pulled over to the side of the road and opened the hood. I noticed that white vapor/smoke was coming out of a crack on the intake manifold. I couldn't move the vehicle any more and got a tow truck to take it back to El Paso, Texas to fix. With towing expenses, the replacement of the intake manifold and labor, I ended up paying approximately $1,000.00.

About three weeks ago, my Ford Crown Victoria went through the same cracking at the intake manifold, and that vehicle is parked at my garage until I find the money to pay for parts and labor to fix it. Trying to find cheap parts on the internet, I ran through a class action lawsuit against Ford Motor Co. for this faulty intake manifold. Is there anything I can do about this issue?

The temperature gauge did not move out of the "C" range for two days. Decided to change the thermostat.

Called regarding blown head gasket on my 1997 Ford Mercury Gran Marquis. On October 27, 2011, I flew out of Chattanooga, TN to West Palm Beach, FL. Son-in-law was returning to Huntsville, AL with my auto, which out of the blue overheated. As a certified mechanic, he pulled to side of road and had it towed. Had an Intake Manifold crack which caused the overheating. I had it repaired to the tune of $618.00. When I returned from Florida, went to the repair shop to pick up my auto. Returned to Huntsville, AL.

Watched all gauges all the way back. No problem with overheating. Parked my car at home and when I went to go to work, car would not start. Called tow company for jump-start. Driver said it was more than simple jump-start. Had it towed to local auto shop to find out it had a blown head gasket. Called Ford Company in Detroit spoke with Tori. I was not told at the time, nor was I notified that there was a Mass law suit against Ford for Plastic Manifold on autos from 1995-2000? I happened to find this out by checking on line. I called Ford back again and spoke with another rep who told me my car was not part of the suit because It was VIN Specific and my VIN # was not part of the settlement?

I read the article about Ford agreeing to settle a lawsuit involving defective plastic intakes on 1996-2001 Crown Victoria and Grand Marquis cars. I just paid a local Ford dealership to replace a defective plastic intake manifold on my 2003 Grand Marquis for the same exact failures described in the article. The cost of repairs was $1116. I feel that Ford, despite knowing that the intakes were defective, continued to install the same intakes in 2002 and newer vehicles. I want Ford to reimburse me for the cost of repairs. I have pictures of the cracks on the intake removed from my car.

The manifold started leaking on our 2001 Mercury Grand Marquis. It also lost coolant and had to have an emergency repair. The vehicle was repaired at our own expense. The total cost was $783.04. I was very disappointed when we were told that the Ford Motor Company did not cover this expense for a faulty intake plastic manifold.

I own a 1999 Mercury Grand Marquis, VIN #**. Because of failure of a plastic piece manufactured by Ford Co., my vehicle overheated to the point that its motor had to be replaced. That piece, I came to know, was the intake manifold. I learned of the case against Ford Co. regarding this part, but apparently, I was too late for any compensation. My car got in the mechanic in March 2006. The motor was replaced, and it cost me almost $3,000.00

Now, February 2011, my car is suffering of the same problem. The mechanic who replaced the motor did it with a motor that had a plastic manifold. Back in 2006, I was assured that the replacement motor had a metallic manifold. I am being victimized over and over again by unscrupulous parties who are as elegant as Ford Motor Co. or as the most common licensed mechanic.

Now, I don't have to replace the motor, because the problem was detected before any overheating. But the replacement will cost another $750.00. How about that for a judgement! Why is it that judgement was not delivered in a manner so that the consumer had to be compensated regardless of time? In other words, if almighty Ford Co., employer of thousands of people all over the globe, produced 10 million units and only a portion, let's say 5 million (figures are made up by me) were taken care by the recall, that means that Ford Motor pocketed 5 million replacements in a very legal way defrauding people just like me!

I am mad. You know why? Because I smell no ethics in all these procedures, and if you have never been judged as a judge by any hardworking American, this is my opportunity to tell you that you did not represent me in any way or form or my family or friends by your decision. And as a judge, you are a systematic failure and that you and whoever went along with this decision should be ashamed of your selves for protecting Ford's only interests. They did the mistake, and the portion of working Americans who were caught in the middle had to pay for it, including your salary, Your Honor!

Please advise of any actions against Ford for defective intake manifolds on 1997 Mercury Marquis. My mechanic advised ford was supplying a metallic replacement for the plastic part that has history of failing.

I was westbound on I-24 when the intake manifold busted. It dumped all of the antifreeze out and the motor overheated in a matter of minutes. My car is a 1996 Grand Marquis. It has approximately 135,000 miles on it. I have been reading where a lot of people are having the same problem as I. I called the garage where it was repaired and they told me that the new part was made of metal, not plastic. Apparently Ford knew of this problem and that is why they changed it from being entirely plastic.
It cost me exactly $1527.67 to have my car repaired. About $75.00 of that amount was for towing. I complained to Ford/Lincoln Mercury, but without any luck. They told me that they would forward my complaint to their engineers so they could look at it and make any changes that might need to be made.

I am very distressed and upset with Ford for I know in my heart that they know the intake manifold is defective. I am retired and the $1527.67 repair bill is going to be difficult to pay. I am hoping that this complaint will be helpful, if not only to me, but to someone that is having or going to have the same problem as I.

Mercury Grand Marquis Company Profile