Save on Car Repairs

Compare Quotes
1.64/5
Based on 100 reviews that contain star ratings

Jeep Wrangler

The Jeep Wrangler is an SUV designed for off-roading and is available in both 2- and 4-door models. Read more Jeep reviews to learn about other models.

Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands

166 Jeep Wrangler Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Oct. 24, 2018

I have had many problems from day one when I bought it. My Jeep is a 2015 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited. First the paint job was very terrible. It's still is. It looks like fish eyes. I had to have them fix it at least twice now. At 21,000 miles give or take was on vacation and then something with the fuel ignitor went literally driving down the road and had to hurry up and pull off. Yes Jeep did take care of it because it was under warranty but the fact that it's 21,000 miles that sucked. I have had the fenders redone because they have cracked.

I have also had the seals replaced in the freedom top twice and also on the door driver side. I have never taken the doors off many many leaks. I'm also having problems with my radio. It literally just shuts off and reboots itself. Took it to the dealership to see if they can fix it. The only thing they told me was, "There's nothing we can do for it except for put about $1,800 into a radio." It is touch screen has navigation but still $1,800 for a radio.

I've also had issues with some wires touching and literally driving down the road have no gas pedal. I was traveling a highway and I could not hit the gas pedal to get out of the way. I was lucky enough to be able to pull over and then I could not start the Jeep. After that had to have it towed to the dealership and of course it was not under warranty anymore because I could not afford to buy the extended warranty and I had to pay out of the pocket. This is my first Jeep that I ever bought and I'm telling you up in three and a half years having the issues that I have had I swear I'll probably never go back and buy any type of Jeep Chrysler Dodge any type of Mopar product. Very very very unhappy with it.

Original review: Sept. 22, 2018

We have a 2007 Jeep Wrangler with primarily highway miles (110K) that is leaking fuel. There is a technical service bulletin published about the failure and it seems to infer that the particular tank is defective. So instead of Earnhardt Jeep covering this repair, because clearly it is and always was a defective part, they would like us to pay $1,000 + labor to resolve their issue. We have always been a Jeep family and this is now possibly going to be our last Jeep. Sorry that you will lose a good customer but you need to fix your own defects not leave it to the consumer to repair.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Are you this business? Learn more about ConsumerAffairs for Brands
Original review: Sept. 14, 2018

Bought new 2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport March 2017, check engine light come on 995 miles, transmission wouldn't shift out of 1st gear. Had car in to one dealer 5 times in 12 months, always showed po714 code along with few others, PO714 has to do with transmission. Took back to selling dealer on advice from Jeep CC, they replaced more electrical components, check engine light come on again. Took to 3rd dealership 10 days later, they found rodent damage, basically confirmed it probably had been problem from the get go. Out of pocket $1800 repair with insurance paying $1200, less than 10 days ck engine light again, PO714 ww done again. 12 days later ck engine light again, back to selling dealer with PO714 showing, replaced same module that had been replaced before.

Selling dealer GM would not talk to me. JEEP CC was supposed to contact me in 48hrs. It was over 2 weeks when he finally called, I told him I had traded out of Jeep, as I was tired of making $550 payments on something that was not dependable. Now this all transpired in 16 month timeframe with less than 7000 miles. SO as far as I can tell The Lemon Law is useless to the consumer, basically Lemon Law is a JOKE!!

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I love my Jeep Sport Wrangler. Owning a Jeep is a preference, it rides a little rougher than a car, but I wouldn’t own anything else, it is very versatile in dry weather as well as rain, snow or mud. It is very durable, on and off road, and there is no limit to accessories, other suv's bored me and had nothing to offer as far as having a old fashion rugged look, I wanted to feel comfortable taking it off road and not scared to get it dirty. It would be nice though if my Jeep had leather seats to choose from rather than just cloth, it would be a lot easier to maintain if I could just wipe them clean.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I love everything about Jeep Wrangler. The color black is great. 5-speed standard transmission and two front bucket seats. Even a little truck with fold down seat. Reclining front seats too. It is very durable and holds its resale value. Four-wheel drive was the most important factor as I live ln the wintery weather. I need that to get through the deep snow. It has lived up to all my expectation and then more.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Jeep Wrangler?

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I always wanted a Jeep Wrangler & my lease was almost up on my Jeep Cherokee, I figured it would be a great opportunity to check it out. It is less than 30 days of ownership and I've only experienced driving it in the bad weather & snow. It eats a lot more gas than I thought. But I wanted this type of vehicle for when the weather is nice out as well & to bring it on the beach.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

I purchased my Jeep several years ago simply because I have to haul rolls of fabric for my job. My Jeep Wrangler has been very dependable and perfect for my use. I also use my vehicle to transport my jet ski to and from the lake. I wish that it had come with leather seats instead of cloth, but I did change them to leather. This was a major improvement to the interior. A few more drink holders would be nice too. A way to hold open the back gate would be a good improvement. But I like the rugged style of the Jeep. The convenience of the back gate door is very convenient for my work use. I bought the car used and got a very good deal. Even though this vehicle holds its value, I don't plan to trade or sell it in the near future.

Original review: July 31, 2018

Awesome. I love my Jeep Wrangler very much. It is fun and safe and I can also take it out and get it dirty. However, it is too bumpy and needs a console and it is not good on gas. Removing and adoring the hard top and soft tops is a chore. Also, the sound level is loud and I have to try to soundproof it to be able to hear music. But it is great to drive and easy to clean. My Jeep is very attractive and people admire it a lot. Easy and cheap to fix and parts are very accessible, too. The online Jeep community is also a great resource.

Original review: July 30, 2018

I have had a Great experience with my car. Strong and comfortable vehicle, runs great and I have traveled long distances with it. This car is also very good looking and I love the style that makes it very cool. But electric issues can be a bit of a hassle. Air conditioning broke down and had to get fixed. Also the door button broke off and had to be replaced twice. The parts are pretty reasonable though and I've had to get it serviced and maintained. That is what's cost the most but it helps keep my car in good condition.

Original review: July 28, 2018

The Wrangler handles fantastic in all kinds of weather and road conditions. It is a dream to drive. The four wheel drive system makes driving in snow so much easier. I like the sporty appearance but also the four wheel drive system is perfect for driving in all conditions. I also enjoy being able to remove the hard top in the summer for a true all season vehicle. I would like though to see more color options offered such as a plum crazy purple or a metallic dark grey.

Original review: July 27, 2018

I purchased a 2018 Jeep JL Rubicon in May of 2018. On July 3, 2018 my wife noted a message on the console while driving that stated she should pull over as the vehicle will shutdown soon. She was only a short ways from home and was able to safely return home with the vehicle. I drove it the next day and had the same problem and it was worse. The vehicle started shutting down, the electrical was going crazy, the 4x4 system started randomly to engage the 4x4 and disconnect the sway bar and engage the lockers. This is very dangerous while driving. I got the Jeep home and called for a tow truck to take it to the dealership on July 4, 2018. The Jeep would not start. It would not go into gear and it started acting crazy and the stereo would even randomly come on at maximum volume. The dealership did everything and tried to find what was wrong. They replaced a module and did a recall on the vehicle.

They had the vehicle for 7 days which placed it out of service. On July 15 I had completed washing the vehicle and decided to inspect the frame of the vehicle. On the JL Wrangler forums it had been noted by several other JL owners that the steel frame of the vehicle was rusting around the welds and paint on the frame is flaking off. I checked under my vehicle and found advanced rust around the welds in key areas and that rust is starting at most of the major weld points due to poor welding from the manufacturing process. I am not the only one. This is a well documented issue for several Jeep owners. We have also filed complaints with the NHTSA for this issue as one person while driving with his family had a catastrophic structural failure of the vehicle.

On July 20 while driving the Jeep the same electrical issues started again and the message about Stop Immediately and pull over as the Jeep will shutdown soon will happen. Not more than a few seconds later the Jeep started going crazy it lost all power. I almost wrecked. Fiat Chrysler the owners of Jeep have had very poor customer service and have not given my complaints any serious consideration. Jeep has been horrible through this whole experience. I have requested numerous times to have this vehicle returned under the lemon law but they are being obstinant about the entire situation. By far one of the worst vehicles I have ever owned and I am severely disappointed in Jeep AKA Fiat Chrysler.

Original review: July 25, 2018

I love my Jeep Wrangler. It's fun and safe to drive. It has four-wheel drive and I really like the soft top so that I can take the top down. It's got big tires that are great in all kinds of weather. It has had minimal things go wrong with it. Although, I wish the carpets were made a little better. They roll up and it's hard to clean. I had to upgrade the tires too. The standard tires were awful. The rims also rusted out and the tires wore down quickly. The soft top windows do scratch easily as well, but I love driving it and I would recommend a Jeep to anyone.

Original review: July 24, 2018

Bought for adventure outings and to explore on road trips. Purchased used. Jeeps hold their resale value very very well. It's a 4 wheel drive and we liked the look and style. This motor is one of the best motors there is for lasting for miles and miles. Rides rough but it's a Jeep. Hard to access the back seat especially for seniors too. Top comes off but not too easy to take top off or put back one. We bought 2 door. 4 door would have more room. If we purchase another Jeep, it will be 4 door for sure. But we are satisfied with this vehicle.

Original review: July 2, 2018

Bought a brand new 6-speed 2018 Jeep Unlimited. 2 miles when I bought it. I've had it maybe a month. My nephew and I both were driving and there are MAJOR STEERING ISSUES. THE JEEP DOES NOT WANT TO TURN. I almost side-swiped the car next to me. It has a hesitation and each time, it gets longer in the amount of time it takes to finally turn. I took it to the dealership today. I bought this Jeep because I have a Lexus that has had numerous issues and needed something reliable. Now, with my 8 yr old daughter, and being a single mom, while also working in the hospital 12 hr shifts, I have nothing reliable. I work too hard for issues such as this. I do not recommend the purchase of the new Jeep. I had a 2012 Jeep Wrangler Sahara and loved it. My love for Jeep is gone.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I wish the shifter up & down was opposite and the auto 4x switch wasn't in the place it is. Other than that Jeep Renegade is fabulous. I couldn't afford a Wrangler and this is the next best thing.

Original review: May 4, 2018

The engine and undercarriage of the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon are a step up for sure from Wrangler. But overpriced for the value! Makes no sense why it costs so much new. Not worth it. Buy it used.

Original review: March 5, 2018

I have contacted Jeep three times about the transmission lines leaking from the factory crimp on my 2010 Jeep Wrangler. I keep getting the runaround. They put me on hold while they act concerned then come back and tell me sorry that my Jeep is not included in the transmission lines leaking defective parts issue. So when the transmission leaves us stranded on the highway and causes an accident Jeep will be receiving another copy of this review from my lawyer.

Original review: May 21, 2017

I have a 2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport with 46000 mile. I take it to an oil change place every 3000 mile. I have the paperwork. I took it to get my oil changed. When I got it back I noticed a knock from the engine that it didn't have before. I took it back to the oil change place. The sound was louder. They said it sounded like the lower end of the engine was coming apart and recommended I take it to a Jeep dealer. I had it towed there. They said for 250 dollars they would check it out. They did and said the motor was blowing up. They checked with Jeep with all my oil change paperwork in hand. They said Jeep might cover it.

They checked with Jeep and they said, "nope not covered." I talked with Jeep Headquarters. They said the same thing. The main guy at Jeep checked to see if he could get a crank and found there was none in the U.S.A. and no aftermarket. He said they would have to replace the complete engine at a cost of 5600 dollars. I talked with Jeep Headquarters again to see if they would help with the cost, again nope. This is my daily driver back and forth to work. Never been out four wheeling. They could tell it's been taken care of. I have had 3 Jeep Wanglers in my life with not one problem just normal wear and tear. I had a new engine put in by another company for 4800. This is the last jeep for me.

Original review: March 29, 2017

I have a 2010 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited with a manual transmission. The clutch went out at approximately 52500 miles. I had it replaced and come to find out that I no longer have a 5th gear. I contacted Jeep to see if it was still under warranty. They said it was no longer under warranty and I would have to replace the transmission. I'm very disappointed that it was slightly out of warranty. I have owned Jeeps for several years now and have never had a problem to this extent. I have read many reviews on the 2010 Jeep regarding the engine and transmission. This year has several complaints. I would like for Jeep to reconsider honoring a warranty for a known issue on this vehicle.

Original review: March 15, 2017

I bought a used 07 Wrangler. Worked fine at first. However, I have had multiple issues starting about 6 months after purchase. Continuous electrical issues. Turn signals and brake lights work when they want to. Electrical door lock works when it wants to. The passenger side window does not work anymore. Also, the gear shift bushing had to be replaced several times, we are using a zip tie now and it works better than the bushings. We have had to replace the radiator due to a crack, replaced brakes and pads as well as 2 calipers due to the caliper piston not retracting after releasing the brake. Finally, something I consider a total manufacturing error, the WCM does not work properly. I have original keys but the module does not always recognize my key and will lock me out from starting my vehicle. I have to remove the fuse to reset it in order to start my car. Not happy. Will not purchase another Jeep again.

Original review: Nov. 10, 2016

I bought a 2011 Jeep Wrangler Sport for my son. It was new and had a 5 year 50,000 mile warranty. He meticulously maintained this vehicle. It had a complete engine failure with 3 days left on the warranty and 48,000 miles on the odometer. The dealer had a computer failure and wouldn't take the car in. I had it towed there the next week--they would not honor the warranty because it went out of service over the weekend. I had multiple customer service reps at Jeep that said it would be covered--but when it came down to it--they only covered half--costing me over $2500.00 for a product that failed under warranty. Never, ever buy a Jeep or Chrysler product. THEY WILL NOT DO THE RIGHT THING. I have always tried to buy American--but seriously--that is no longer a concern of mine and please DON'T BUY A JEEP PRODUCT. You will regret it!!!

Original review: Oct. 14, 2016

We are the unfortunate owners of a 2013 Jeep wrangler. To put it bluntly, this machine is a hunk of junk!!! We've had nothing but electric problems, sensors crapping out costing loads of money. Wires melting because they're too close to the catalytic converter. Can't wait for this thing to go on fire. One short after another. And we're told it's out of warranty and Chrysler won't do a damn thing. So stay away from these Jeeps!!!

Original review: May 13, 2016

I purchased my last 2 Jeep Wranglers from local Bendigo Jeep dealer who also did all the services. For the first time I am having a major problem with my airbag light staying on and beeping. Jeep head office will not honor the extended warranty that should include addressing the issue. Over 600,000 Jeep Wranglers in the USA were recalled and the part was replaced. Jeep Australia need to seriously questioned as to their professionalism. I have been staunch supported of Jeeps for 20 years and now would seriously recommend that you don't buy a Jeep. The part only costs $250 on eBay. I am very disappointed with Jeep. If you have a Jeep consider selling it before you have a problem and if you are thinking of buying a Jeep I strongly suggest you reconsider!

Original review: Feb. 15, 2016

On December 19, 2015 my stick shift 2012 Jeep Wrangler independently accelerated from a dead stop, and drove 60 feet through my garage door. I had started the vehicle, got out, ebrake up. As soon as my feet hit the ground, the jeep took off like someone slammed on the gas. It has been two months since the incident. I have made a claim through Chrysler, that just got 'escalated' to the investigations department that does not have a phone number that I can call - I have to request a call, then wait 2 or 3 days. I've had two appointments at the Jeep service center, and one at a Honda service center.

Jeep service has done nothing but argue with me get defensive. My first trip to Jeep service ended with the jeep not starting upon pick-up due to their negligence, the second trip to Jeep service ended after they had my vehicle for 5 full days, after being told they would call me - I finally showed up to check on it, and they hadn't touched it since the first day it was there! And since jeep cannot duplicate this independent acceleration, they tell me that nothing is wrong with it. The customer service I've received is disgraceful. The fact that they know that this is happening, and they are ignoring it - gross and negligent!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2016

I have had several minor-severe problems concerning my 2012 Jeep Wrangler. Just to list a few it's 2016 my clock still does not work (bought in 2012) never has. My steering wheel electrocuted/SHOCKED/zapped my husband while we were driving and almost caused us to get in an accident, once that got fixed it happened again with the horn alarming for 5 minutes straight every time we got in or out of the car causing problems at the hotel I worked at.

Tire pressure light has never properly worked. Back leather seat spontaneously ripped about 10 inches (no kids, never used the back seat). Driver side visor mirror fell off while driving, again another possible accident. Rear door automatic lock makes loud noises and won't lock. Hard top has chipped edge that I did not notice when purchasing. I notified dealership almost every time, they never fixed as promised. Center counsel compartment has always been wobbly and loose. License plate holder cheap and broken, I can go on.

I have had my Jeep in the dealership service department for full days at a time so many I can't even count. I have an entire file cabinet dedicated to Jeep problems. Many times would pick it up from dealership with nothing having been done due to lack of parts or knowledge. I was directed to Chrysler corporate and was really happy working with an agent named Holly. She offered me an owner's maintenance policy with free oil changes and extended warranty in case any additional problems occurred.

Went to use my warranty at the dealership because go figure more problems and she did not document the promises. I tried straightening it out with corporate and they are unhelpful, rude and don't care about their loyal customers. If an employee does not do their job the customer should not know or have to deal with it. Very unprofessional!!! I am extremely disappointed! Owning a Wrangler had been my dream, now it's my nightmare!

Original review: Jan. 13, 2016

I took my Jeep Wrangler 2010 two weeks ago at the Jeep dealership here in Gainesville, Fl. Apparently it needs a gear shaft. The problem I'm having is the part is not in stock till the end of February. How is it that such a big company does not have the part. So I called corporate headquarters, they gave me a case number ** for my complaint. I have not heard back from the case manager. It has been two weeks. I keep calling my dealership and they have not heard from them either for a status update. So please give me suggestions.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2015

Owned the Wrangler from Mar 2015 till current, it pops check engine light. Been in the shop 5x and every time the dealership needs it for days. They offer no loaners or rental cars. I have lost weeks of work from owning this POS. I also bought my wife the 2015 Patriot, been in the shop 2x for trans issues. Don't buy a Jeep. Avoid them at all cost!!!

Original review: Nov. 17, 2015

Purchased a 2012 wrangler from dealer in May. Since then I've had vehicle back for repairs on 7 different occasions. Salesman Randy assured vehicle was sound and went thru 168 point inspection prior to sale. Yet within 48 hrs of my purchase, vehicle transmission acting up, ABS sensor failed, anti-skid sensor failed, rear axles seals leaking, windows wouldn't zip closed, roof started leaking.

Battery failed, wiper motor stopped working, and now a mold condition has taken over entire vehicle. As a former 911 responder I advised that I cannot drive vehicle with mold as a result of respiratory disease. I complained about roof and was told twice that they couldn't duplicate leak in spite of 2" water on floor boards. After months of dealing with leak - once vehicle 3 mos warranty expired they miraculously found leak. Dealer misrepresented this vehicle from the start. They replaced heads weeks before they sold this vehicle to me - coupled with the many repairs required in 6 months I've owned the vehicle indicates to me that Hendricks Jeep doesn't care about consumers. The vehicle has spent 32 at dealership in 6 months and I've wasted countless days back and forth to no avail. This vehicle had been a headache since purchase and I will never buy another jeep again. Hendrick I. Concord is a disgrace.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2015

I got a brand new Wrangler 2009. Two days after my happiness the rain started and I got water all over me from the roof and the doors. I was in a big pool. I went to the dealer and they told me that's a normal issue in jeep. I insisted in my unhappiness and they changed the door's seal in the most nasty way that I told the manager to stop the mechanic from vandalizing my property.

A month later the motor didn't start. I went back full of water again and they kept the jeep for a whole day to tell me they can't duplicate the problem and after many visits and going to different dealers I got the same answer: problem never fixed and by the opinion of the same mechanics I got a lemon. After my long agony I talked with a few lawyers and unfortunately I was two weeks late to qualify, the fact that made Chrysler very happy to tell me, "Good luck," hanging up on me, and of course more problems were on the road (one quarter of oil extra every 700 miles, transmission stick disconnected multiple times, front suspension vibration for defective tires, door lock problems all the time, alarm system doesn't work). These malfunctions were never fixed. In conclusion I never recommend jeep. These are a real POS products.

Original review: Sept. 21, 2015

I bought my 2013 Jeep Wrangler with 17,000 miles 2 years ago and since then the ABS sensor on the tires have locked up twice without any warning. I had one of the sensors replaced Sept 2014 and now exactly 1 years later I was driving on I-75 outside of Atlanta on Friday afternoon when my brakes completely locked up without any warning. Thank goodness it did not cause an accident, but there is SERIOUSLY SOMETHING WRONG WITH A VEHICLE THAT THE BRAKES WILL LOCK UP ON THE INTERSTATE WITHOUT ANY WARNING OR OTHER MECHANICAL PROBLEMS. After finally making it back from Atlanta I was able to drop the car off at the dealership and they want to charge me $230. Ridiculous! The last bonus to owning a Jeep is each tire has a sensor so if I continue to drive this junk I have 2 more tires that can lock up without ANY warning.

Jeep Wrangler Company Information