Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
1.28/5

Looking for auto and truck accessories?

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Looking for auto and truck accessories?

Guardian Interlock Reviews

Original review: Sept. 11, 2018

I want to know if anyone else out there has had health issues since installation of Guardian Interlock Device. I have had to have many handsets exchanged due to malfunctions from faulty equipment. I have sat with my installer who went thru 7 devices on one date before he could find a working handset. Approximately 8 months after this device was installed I noticed changes to my tongue and mouth. I didn't think too much of this until Dec 2017 (1 year 1 month after original installation) when my mouth had become full of sores and pustules making it painful to eat solids and drink beverages hot or cold. So I went to the doctors and found out this was stomatitis (ie. thrush) of the mouth and throat.

I began a regime of medications that would not cure this. I ended up going to a Contagious Diseases physician who put me on a toxic dose of **. Lab results showed hep C so I started on a round of ** prescribed for 120 days. Within the first 60 days my blood results were normal so hep c was not keeping me from fighting the now diagnosed Candida Albicans. Because it never went totally away. And now it is back to painful everything with mouth sores and the only conclusion my Dr. can come to is the Interlock Device.

I reiterate I wash the mouthpiece every blow, but what is inside that device that has a sensor and does this company sterilize these refurbished units? She is pretty confident that this device harbors germs and when you inhale at the end of the blow you are being reinfected with the germs or in my case the fungus that in sensor. I know have to start another round of toxic ** to try to beat this. Anyone else out there had health issues??? Who regulates the safety to consumers of this device?

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

First off in my state I didn't get a choice on a provider of the Breathalyzer system that would have to be installed in my vehicle for 9 months to a year. With that being said I have had the worse luck with Guardian Interlock starting from day one. Let me explain all the way up today!! Worked one time after I left the shop that installed it. Next morning won't work, call Guardian Interlock. After two days of hassles they overnight a handset and new camera works great. Month goes by. Time for another unit. This time I have it for two months. Still no issues.

Times up. Get to my next handset and camara for another two months. No issues till almost the end of its term. Go out to my truck, turn the key backward to roll down windows and Guardian Interlock system makes a crazy sound. Starts throwing a code or two and now the truck won't start and windows won't go back up!!! Wow. Really. Immediately go inside my home and notify Guardian Interlock of the issue.

So following day I'm off to work (out of town). Come back maybe close to two weeks later and there is not battery life. So I have the truck towed to the installer of the Guardian Interlock system. They determined that the system was at fault and have a new system installed. Now the truck is running again. Bring it home the system is now on negative. 2 days and the new Guardian Interlock system handset and camera are on their way. I received the new unit, go to my truck, disconnected the old handset and camera (sitting in passenger seat), reinstalled the new handset and camera. I'm ready to go again. Here is where this all gets crazy, go to try new handset and it fail/violations me. This has never happened to me. Literally I pulled in driveway seen the new device on my porch so I hooked it up then that happened immediately. Disconnected it and reconnected the old one and it worked fine.

Called Guardian Interlock again and had them note the issue. They sent another handset and camera and working properly up to date. There's more. Had to tow the truck and then the shop charged me for the repairs of the faulty equipment. Guardian Interlock was to refund me tow and the repairs but today I find out they're not because they say my truck had low voltage. That's not possible. Prior to having Guardian Interlock installed we had just installed a new alternator and Optima high output battery not even a year old. Anyone that knows them batteries don't die. Also said I waited too long to have it repaired. I was working out of town. Wow!!! Obviously this is just a long rant but if anyone can keep from using this company I highly recommend doing so!!! They use horrible outdated faulty equipment. If it wasn't for me being self employed there's no way any employers would have dealt with the days of work I've had to lose. Just FYI!!!

Guardian Interlock response

I'm very sorry to hear of your experience, and would like the opportunity to investigate this further to see how we can help. I've sent you a private message requesting more information, so our management team can reach out to see how we can best assist you. Sincerely, Maggie.

Original review: Aug. 17, 2018

I want to start out by saying I literally NEVER write reviews. I want people to know why not to use Guardian Interlock. First off it took them 3 days, yes 3 days to install the device in my brand new car which is a push start. They had every excuse on why it was my car's fault and not theirs. Like okay idiots, shut up. This is your job and you're blaming my car instead of the fact you don't know how to install it. HA.

Once the device was finally installed I had issues pretty much weekly. It beeped at me telling me to shut my car off while driving 75 on the HWY, permalocked me out of my car (which cost me $54 to get a code to get it unlocked) just to drive to the auto place to get it reset, serving days were always jumping around from say 16 to -1 so I was having to go get my system reset 3-6 times a MONTH! Not to mention when I went to get the system reset they said it says I AM TRYING TO BYPASS IT!!! WTF!!! If you knew me you'd know I would never ever do that, plus how the hell would I even know how to do that.

This has cost me extra money and losing money due to missing so much work. Also their customer service line is so far from helpful, 95% of them are just completely rude and always say "I don't know" when I asked them questions!! All I can say is JUST DON'T GO WITH GUARDIAN!!! If you do you will strongly regret it. I promise!

Guardian Interlock response

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

Unfortunately I didn't check around before I decided to have Guardian Interlock installed on my vehicle. The interlock has to be changed out each month. I've had the interlock a total of 4 months and every month has been a major ordeal getting the unit switch out. First month: installation tech said that unit can be changed 2 days after it was due but at midnight my car locked up, wouldn't start, and had to be towed to installer (cost=$100.00 for tow). It took the installer 3 days to install it during which time I had no vehicle. Month two: the unit didn’t arrive as scheduled. I called Guardian three times and was put on hold a minimum of an hour each time. It turns out FedEx sent the unit to wrong place. During this time I was without a vehicle almost two weeks waiting for the unit to arrive and then waiting for the installer to have time to switch out the unit.

I was upset about the ordeal so I called Guardian to see about going to a different installer since it took him almost a week to have enough time to switch out the unit (it only takes about 5 minutes) coupled with the fact that he is located an hour from my home. After waiting on hold for an hour I was told that the closest installer was almost two hours from my home. Now I am at month three... Unit was requested, paid for, and sent to installer but he doesn't install on Mondays even though my unit says it's day 0. He then told me that the unit wouldn't lock until - 2 days (just like he told at the beginning). I'm changing companies now no matter what it costs. I only hope my review helps somebody out there avoid this company.

Guardian Interlock response

Original review: July 24, 2018

I have a DUI charge and have 1 year suspension, follow an assessment program and must have an alcolock installed since Sept. 2017. The first 9 mo. were almost trouble free except when I had a cold. Now mid July 1st attempt always starts, subsequent test fail, up to 5 tests are needed and must pull off road. On expressway this is difficult and dangerous. This unit gives false errors like hum later when I did not start to blow, blow longer or harder or seems to actually block air flow. Are these repeat fails programmed in the unit? Don't know why after 9 mo. it is starting to give me problems.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Guardian Interlock?

Original review: April 3, 2018

I had to have an IID in my car for 3 months and it was awful. First of all the staff was completely rude, inappropriate and utterly incompetent. For starters my car which is a 2012 Honda Civic (I'm always on time with my servicing), has always been in great shape and passes inspections for my servicing appointments with flying colors and I always fix things that need to be dealt with.

I brought my car into Guardian (it was recommended to me by my lawyer), the second they installed the IID my car battery DIED. Literally never had a problem with the battery. They told me it was my alternator and they could give me a "deal" get an alternator and install it for about $300. I said ok, as I wanted my car for the week and had no way of getting it out of there except towing it a pretty significant distance if I wanted to go to my dealership (I should have just towed my car...). They put in a new alternator, and I was on my way. I didn't have too many problems with the breathalyzer, but after the first month my car battery died twice.

I had my dad take my battery out and charge it to see if that would help. I brought my car in for the first checkup (after 30 days), and all the sudden while all my pictures and blow tests are being uploaded all the men in the shop gather around the computer. The guy who owns the shop looks at me and says, "Have you ever seen Basic Instinct the movie? The camera is like pointed down and all the pictures are showing your legs hahaha". I was mortified! I was the only woman in the shop with 4 guys staring at my pictures, BEYOND inappropriate! He said, "We're going to have to fix your camera". I should have just left then, but it would have cost me almost $300.00 for an early uninstall fee and all the other BS they charge you, and then I would have had to tow my car to another company that does IID's and re-pay an install etc. It was only for 2 more months so I decided to just put up with it.

After about 2 1/2 months the handset totally dies in my car. I Ubered to Godfathers to get a new handset, after about an hour (with all the data lost mind you), they give me a new handset and I Uber back to my car. I plug the new handset in and an error message keeps popping up and malfunctioning. I called them (at this point I'm furious, and they accuse me of eating pizza or drinking etc.), I was literally in their office 20 minutes prior and given a handset and took an Uber to my car, they know full well I didn't have time to eat something and that I hadn't been drinking... It was Nonsense.

I Ubered back to their office give them the handset and they say, "Oh you know what so and so bought this in yesterday. Because it was malfunctioning I bet thats the same handset". Wow so you knew this was a piece of crap and you just put it in the bin with all the other handsets. Amazing. Finally I get a new one that works, and I Uber back to my car. Luckily I only had 2 weeks left with this thing but there was more fun to come.

3 months is over and my car continues to die, I brought it in to get the IID uninstalled ($285.00 when all was said and done, what a JOKE!, This is after I've been paying $125.00 a month for it). He tells me I need a new battery... Which is odd because apparently I have a brand new alternator so my battery should have been fine, right? I almost think they took my good alternator out to sell it or something, and replaced it with some garbage they had lying around.

I end up taking my car into my dealership a couple weeks after I got the IID removed to get everything looked at and they told me that they messed up some wiring, that the alternator was bad (shutting off intermittently. Mind you this is supposedly a BRAND NEW alternator), my battery is totally shot, I need a new drive belt (which could have been wear and tear) and my AC pulley needs replaced. Literally all MAGICALLY happened after taking my car to these buffoons, and having an IID in for 3 months. When all was said and done after labor and parts the total was about $2,000.00 in damages.

I was told having this thing in my car would do no damage thats a complete LIE. Luckily I had an extended warranty and everything with the exception of the drive belt was covered so I got extremely lucky. I just wanted everyone to know that Godfathers in Woodinville is awful. Don't go there. They will ruin your car. If you can go anywhere else besides Guardian I would recommend you do so.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I have had the interlock for over a year now, 2/22/17. I have NEVER had a fail!! It has left me stranded on Interstates 2 times that required a tow. Both times it was equipment failure. (One was a dead battery in the unit w/ no warning light.) I have had many times where the unit would not let me start the car and I had to wait the timeout to get started. AGAIN NO FAILURES! The unit has been replaced 6 times because it had gone bad. I have called customer service numerous times and been on hold every time for at least 45 min/ call.

They have been of no help and have even lied to me to get me off the phone. (This according to the techs that install these things.) And I found that they lied about entering/recording or keeping my calls and complaints on record. WORST customer service I have ever seen. I am a paying customer/ A CLIENT! I CHOSE to use Guardian rather than give up my license for the year!

The retest can come at very DANGEROUS TIMES, when in traffic and on the interstates! I even had to personally show up at their field office to get what they called VIOLATIONS removed from my record. THEY had reported them to the MVA as violations and they were NOT! They take MY money and show NO regard for my problems with their equipment, my or my family's safety, my time and work schedule, proper reporting to the MVA (which can remove me as they see fit), and can get away with lies to me and the MVA. I hear of many others with problems and I hope that these remarks will get them to stand up and speak their piece!

Original review: March 26, 2018

This is my "last straw" review after 3 months with the Guardian Interlock device in my vehicle. Since Dec 12, 2017, I have experienced 3 serious issues with the device leaving me stranded or unable to get to work. After investigation, all conclusions were that this is the device's fault, not mine or my vehicles. The company has not reimbursed me a penny (even after stating it is failure with their device) and I have incurred >$500 in towing fees, plus time from work, plus inevitable stress. I am shopping around for a new provider as this is stressful beyond words when trying to juggle my parallel pregnancy (I am currently 6 months pregnant) and have a full time traveling job. I will NEVER recommend and will be considering taking the company to court for, at the minimum, financial reimbursement.

Resolution response: Feb. 27, 2018

The owner of Utah Guardian, Chris, has since been in touch with me, was pleasant, and is working to help me out on this issue.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

For weeks I have been losing my days programmed to result in waking up in the morning to -5, -6 or even Perma-Lock. This is not vehicle specific. I have two vehicles and it happens on both. The owner of Guardian in Utah, Chris **, is very pleasant when convincing you to buy his product. But, he is a jerk to work with when his stuff doesn't work. Stay away!!! By his own admission, they used refurbished equipment. I met a tech in Vegas that said not only is it refurbished, when he worked there they didn't even field test any of it. He said they have tons of issues. But hey, they go home at night. Wait 'til you are by yourself and you can't go anywhere due to this product. They will not reimburse!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

Well I don't know where to start but let see. First of all every time I get in my car I regret I didn't research other interlock devices because that is a mistake I will live with daily till I complete this sentence with the most sad poor excuse for a company. I mean to be honest it takes a lot and I mean a lot! For me to spend my time complaining about any company but this one is my very first one that I felt I had to do so with and that's saying a lot.

I mean they have super poor customer service and they do talk down to you. Super unprofessional. They make mistakes and try to convince you that it's your fault and then today they had the audacity to tell me do I want them to fix the problem or not! I'm like, "Yeah are you serious? Of course I need the problem fixed". You would think after you call them many many times and stayed on hold for hours they would have figured that out that yeah that's why I called to fix my problem I mean it's like they think I love to call them and bother them. I swear if I had no reason to call them I would never call them but unfortunately every time I end up calling them.

It’s one of the worst experiences not just sometimes but every every time. No lie and it's sad that I know to expect that because this company never changes. It progressively gets worse and worse and today it got to the point that I can't stay silent anymore. I know I can't quit them but I will be thanking God the day my hell with this company is over and I'm sure I'm not the only one. There is many many people that will be thankful for that day as well that go through the same hell that I go through so I know I'm not alone in this but like many say I hope this company goes out of business. Just saying. Does any company that conducts business the way they do has no business doing business.

Guardian Interlock Company Information