Guardian Interlock

Compare Auto Accessories

Research top Auto Accessories recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I was convicted of DUI twice in 2 years. I accept that, and am willing to do what is required of me by law to pay my due to society. I am gainfully employed in a white collar job. Happily married and own my home. Part of my sentence was an ignition interlock device. I have complied. Fortunately, I am able to pay the average of $100 per month for the honor of having the device on my vehicle. However, I was recently notified that I was commanded to go to a different company, LifeSafer, for my service, so I complied. I felt I had no choice. I reside in Florissant and was given the option of going to Chesterfield or Lake St. Louis for my device to be 'downloaded' one a month. So I complied. However, this new device requires you to 'hum', yes 'hum', while blowing so the machine knows you are a human and not a machine.

Now, I was arrested for driving under the influence, not poor humming. And I apparently cannot hum. I have had to pull over, stop, take up to 10 minutes to try and get the the hum right, not too loud, not soft, evenly, whatever. Today, I had to pull over with my elderly mother in the vehicle, on the shoulder of Highway 270, southbound, just north of Olive, because I had 'Hum Abort'. That is an extraordinarily busy highway.

The purpose of this letter is twofold. First, the State of Missouri should really vet its retail providers better. This is a lucrative business for a business that can convince the state it is reputable, yet - can be so damaging to those trying to abide by state mandates. Second, this is a very dangerous position this company, LifeSafer/Guardian has put the State of Missouri in. I am placing you, Governor Nixon, personally, and the State of Missouri, on notice that should I be injured or killed as a result of the malfunction, use, attempted use and compliance of the Interlock Device, provided by Guardian/LifeSafer, my beneficiaries, my designated personal representative, and/or myself will pursue a personal injury claim, not limited to loss of consortium and wrongful death against any and all available entities, including LifeSafer/Guardian and the State of Missouri, seeking remedy for our claims.

I suggest the State of Missouri review the Vendors they have enlisted to act on behalf of the State to provide this service. While very beneficial to prevent deaths via drunk driving, it is only a matter of time before one of us is killed, simply being compliant with the State's mandates. Should you wish to discuss this further, please feel free to contact me.

This machine has so many issues. I was required to have in my car for 6m. I can get it started and when I have to retest it will abort before I finish. There are times I have to retake 6 or 7 times. It is just stupid. Once I had to retest about 9 times, it would not register, this is after I had been running errands. It told me to turn off engine. It took another 3 times to get it to start. It will buzz out before you even finish trying to test. Then it will say it needs service. Then they charge you 45 dollars because they told me it is considered a refusal... So it's a refusal when I try NINE times??? His response, "I see where you tried, but it's still a refusal."

Are YOU SERIOUS??? MONEY SCAM. I can barely afford it, now you want to charge me an extra 45 because of issues. They refuse to acknowledge it's an issue. Their response, "It's a change in your breathing pattern." You think? Because after nine times... OF COURSE I would not be breathing the same. This is a piece of junk. Poor design. I understand it needs to be there for legal purposes, but use a device that is not poorly made, that makes people have to come in and pay extra, then act like they are breathing wrong. Because after having it in my car now for the 3rd month, I all the sudden forgot how to breathe. Ok. Sure. I just try to leave to go get groceries... 6 times... it keeps aborting. I quit. Kids don't need groceries anyway... right?

I have been stuck with Guardian Interlock since 2011... AZ is the only state that tacks an automatic letter to a judge saying you tampered with the device every time it fails. The scam is obvious... and BTW - all the Interlock companies are owned by the same guy... so wake up people. We are all being FD by a corrupt system. I'm going to sue them for the 2 cars it has ruined and the money I've wasted. Let's get them... this is not an accurate device. None work right.

I had to wait ten years before getting license back because of money difficulties. I get an RDP and did not do research about BAIID systems. I called the first place closest to my home. The blow and inhale is the most ridiculous system ever. I have put out 500.00 dollars just to get this piece of ** out of a vehicle I purchased so I can drive. It has cost me so much money I could throw up. This company sucks.

I chose Guardian because it was closest to home. I have had Guardian for the last 6 months, every day there is an issue with the machine, I have used all my towing services getting the car to their location. Plus the extra $45+ to restart since the towing expired another 6-8 times. The device has been partially and fully replaced, as well as reset at least once a month if not more. My girl friend used the car once and failed 9 times in a 20 mile radius to the next interstate exit. They have told me that the failed readings are from my medications, although the guy who installed it failed it several times, and my girlfriend are not on any meds nor do they drink. So apparently their device is defective but a good money making instrument, since they do not acknowledge fault only excessive payments to them.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Guardian Interlock?

For more information about reviews on please visit our FAQ.

The unit is extremely dangerous and anyone who rides with me states that fact before I even mention it. I drive a 2014 Honda. Got it 6 months ago and had a mechanic go over it with a fine tooth comb and nothing wrong but some alignment issues which is completely unrelated to my starter. It fryer my starter in 4 months. I'm getting it removed but do I have any legal recourse if I can prove it's their machine that did it? Because it was court ordered. I'm in Tulsa btw and test refusals equal Breathalyzers now.

Please do your homework before choosing this company, I WISH I HAD! I know I committed the crime, I even waited an extra yr before I got my license back but now they are making my life HELL! I've not even had this damn thing a month & I'm locked down already for the 2nd time just because I didn't go outside & try to start my car for 2 days! WHAT THE HECK? I'm retired & I may not leave my house for days & what if I go away for a few days with a friend or family member?

I don't money to pay Guardian every time for a reset just because I'm not home to start my car. I guess they are trying to control what we are doing when we are not driving as well as when we are driving??? Also, their customer service sucks!!! All they care about is the $50.00 fee they collect. All they can say is 'Well you can pay the $50.00 reset fee which will allow you to get to the local service center' which doesn't do you a bit of good if the local service center is not open on the weekend!

I just wanted to share my recent experience with you all. I recently had a Lifesaver IID installed on my car. What a HUGE mistake! The Lifesaver and Guardian devices are "blow & hum" devices, and quite difficult to operate. Upon installation, I immediately had problems with getting passing blow tests. On numerous occasions my tests were aborted. Once you get a reset or lockout code, you have to bring your car in for a reset. At your expense. The last straw and episode was while driving on the I-205 freeway during rush hour. I immediately pulled over on the freeway in an attempt to get a passing test. After a few attempts, I was still getting "abort" replies from the device. As I sat there, a State Patrol officer pulled in behind me to see what the issue was. When I showed him my Lifesaver IID, he immediately responded with "you don't want to use the blow & hum devices. They are troublesome units." That came from a state patrol officer.

I then proceeded to call the Lifesaver installer in Vancouver, WA (initials G.N.) that installed the unit. This was my second call in frustration to him within a month. He immediately told me to bring the ** thing in, he would remove the * thing, and never ** call him again, and then hung up on me. Yes, he cussed me out and hung up on me. He then immediately contacted their main office and told them that I cussed him out and that he would not service or remove my device. EVER. The main office at Lifesaver wanted me to drive 3 hours north in order to have the device reset or removed. It appears that Greg in Vancouver, WA, is the only Lifesaver installer in southern Washington. I now had only three days to have it removed before it went into permanent lockout mode. And they were not willing to service their product locally.

After numerous phone calls, I was able to get a removal appointment nearby in Portland, OR. As I was awaiting removal of the Lifesaver device in Portland, the installer of the Guardian device (both units are blow & hum devices made and marketed by Lifesaver) showed me a file half an inch thick of new user's that are having issues with their Lifesaver & Guardian devices. The following day, I had a "blow" only device installed on my car from a different manufacturer. And to date, I have had no issues with it. I no longer dread the experience of getting into my car with the thought of being stranded or failing tests anymore. I have not failed a single test and, it is a cheaper unit to use. Do NOT use a Lifesaver or Guardian device. The monetary cost and frustration will drive you nuts!

The Guardian IID is a world class piece of ** ignition interlock device. I had it installed and had many malfunctions / lockouts in the first day. Due to many possible repercussions, I had it removed on my next day off. Be careful of the fine prints on the contracts btw. Some installers would want to maximize their cash flow by charging 3-4 hrs of install time, front charging 2 months, adding monthly insurance premium, charging an early termination fee, and an uninstall fee. It cost me ~$600 and ~5 hrs for the mistake of picking a highly positive Yelp rated installer (ie: CarAcoustics in SJ), and had to take this hit because I want to have this piece of ** taken off. I switched to Low Cost InterLock which is a simpler and less error-prone product, who provides a full satisfaction guarantee.

This Interlock device is a joke. It's more harmful than drinking and driving. You pay for it then it scams you. Almost twice a month takes your days for what it says incorrect blowing. This should only be about alcohol. Then they scam 50 dollars each time you have to get it calibrated. They give you false equipment and steal your money after you already paid thousands on you due. This place should be stopped taking from the poor to give to the rich. This thing should only monitor your drinking. I blow the same all the time. This is ridiculous.

I committed the same mistake probably than most of the people whose anteceded me in writing these many one star reviews on this Guardian interlock, which was not doing online research about it. I guess the reason for that is that, because by breaking the law, we feel guilty and believe that we have no right, in this case, to choose anymore.

Anyhow, when I called Guardian, the person who I spoke to was nice in the phone like many have already said it and sent me to a place called Orchard Automotive, located at 13314 NE Vancouver WA., where they did the installation in my diesel truck and trained me how to blow the device properly. Everything was OK until I left the place and was in my own.

One evening after driving to a cell phone store, I tried to re-start my vehicle and the fun begin. That day I blew for about 2 and a half hour and got aborted for equal amount of time. Finally, after been on the phone with a Guardian representative for half an hour, I got to start my vehicle and got home exhausted, angry and more anxious than ever, in the verge of having a panic attack. I want to clarify that I suffer from General Anxiety Disorder for many years and this thing definitively is no good for people who suffer this sickness.

The next day I tried to blow the device again and when I was driving thru a light in a intersection, the machine beep and I blew and abort and blew harder and abort again. Remember, this was in a major intersection. Imagine how hard it would be to drive with one hand and on the other the device. On top of all that blowing long and steady and trying to read the tiny instruction in the device monitor. How dangerous!!! I totally agree with the others whose stated that this Guardian device is very distracted to the drivers.

Well guess what, after those aborts, I got the fail. The next day I went to Orchard Automotive and the lady who works there said that I failed due to a refusal from my part therefore I got to pay 25 dollars. When I complain about it, she, visible irritated, said that because "I didn't follow the rules" I got the fail. I replied that I am a customer and that I deserved to be treated as a such. When I told her that no wonder this company had a one star review, she seemed to calm down. Well fox, the moral of this story is clear: If you happen to get in this unpleasant situation, been convicted of driving under the influence of something (DUI) and you have to have a Ignition Interlock, please look around, do some research and don't get Guardian because is one of the a WORSE in the market today and is going to make your life a lot more miserable than what already it is.

First week installed had the problem with the blow, hum, suck technique horn. Started blowing on a bridge coming over from the beach where I work totally traumatized guy ahead flipping me the bird etc and severe traffic couldn't get off bridge to pull over. Finally did but had to go for a reset. This is not a safe way to drive.

We've established that Guardian Interlock as a whole is pretty awful. Like others, the first phone conversation was very pleasant, but any service after the initial sign up was awful. I had been with a local company for a year but had to switch to Guardian, because I'm moving to a new state. I thought the device looked rather dated when I got it, and sure enough, it was a real hassle. The first few days I was getting stuck at gas stations, grocery stores, even had an incident at a fast food drive thru.

I am here to give a piece of advice on how to operate the device! After a few times of getting stuck and becoming very upset, I turned to the internet to find tricks on how to operate the device. Youtube and general reviews didn't seem to be much help. Finally, I found an official instructional video on Guardian's site. The key piece of information I found on the video was the lady's suggestion to use a "Z" sound when humming. This is the part that was making me abort so many times. Since incorporating the "Z", I've had very few aborts. They still happen occasionally, but nowhere near the frequency as before. Now, I know this isn't the actual problem a lot of people have faced, but if anyone is having trouble with the hum/blow mechanic, give this a try. I hope it helps.

So made the legal mistake. So after 4.5 months of not driving finally was able to get the BAIID license and device. Paid to receive the device. Guardian made the appt for me. Arrived on a Mon at noon. The woman at the service center was professional and very nice. She informed me that the device never arrived and would be overnighted. So returned the next day at 12. I was given 5 forms and combined with my notes had 5 different prices. I am a single professional and with my situation money is even tighter. So I need to budget in advance. The woman at the service center told me to call. I spoke with a young woman who gave me a new price. So which is it? 90 a month, 97.59 a month, 101 a month, 125 a month or 105? She thought 97.00 but was not sure.

Finally a very nice girl said it's 121.00 a month or 220 every 2 months. She apologized. Said they have had issues training people. I also said I would not sign any legal doc unless it was correct. Please send me correct docs. She said "OH. JUST CROSS EVERYTHING OUT." I responded that is not legal. So she agreed to send me updated docs. OK!! Now it's in my car and I had no idea that you had to blow, hum for 5 min and then inhale at the correct moment. 3 techs helped. I was beside myself. I have an anxiety disorder which up until this week was under control. So for 2.5 hrs and with the help of the youngest of their staff was finally able to drive. I made it to two errands. I thought I was on the way.

So Wed I went to the car and could not do it. I tried for 3 hrs. Completely upset, crying, shaking canceling all my appts. Called Guardian and was informed 40 to remove at the service station and 150 with Guardian. My heart was pounding from all the breathing and humming, it physically hurt. So frustrated the girl at Guardian said she would sit on the phone and try and help. So for over an hour we did this. Humming and breathing together. She told me that she does this all day long listening to people hum, breathe and get upset. I only got it once. Thursday tried again it took me all afternoon. I was now becoming physically ill. Stomach issues, dizzy, weak, exhausted. Was again beside myself and now the anxiety I had under control for years was running my life.

My loved ones said they never saw me like this. Best friend of 20 yrs could not believe what was happen to me. Friday tried again brought the dog for luck. Still sick, dizzy, stomach pain. FINALLY GOT IT AFTER 2 HRS. SO THRILLED. Was able to be normal. Run to the grocery store and other errands however lost a week of work. It did take me 3 hrs to do 1 hr of errands. But I was feeling a little better except for the extreme pain in my chest from all the breathing. Had to pull over. Could not do the running test. Sat woke up with severe stomach issues and the chest pain was unreal. Tried again and kept aborting. I was running out of air. Could not do it for the full 5 min. After 2 hrs did it. However I was hysterical, in such pain. Was not able to drive anywhere due to the chest pain.

Sun again brought the dog for support so after 1 hr got to go to the pharmacy for my stomach. Then struggled in the parking lot for another hour. Finally got to the grocery store but had to pull over. Could not do the running test. Another hour in the grocery store lot. The pain was unreal in my chest. I was coughing and hacking you would have thought I was a smoker. I AM NOT!! Passed got to the vitamin store. Now the sun was going down and it's getting cold. So was out there freezing in flip flops, a big sweater and unable to turn on the heat. SO HUMILIATING. Now my dog was shaking and freezing. I had it. Just wanted to be warm. Called Uber. Went home. Had to leave my car in the parking lot across town..

I spent that whole night and the next day with Vicks on my chest and a heating pad. Nearly 48 hrs of straight chest pain and stomach issues from the stress. Every single person who cared about me felt helpless as I was literally suffering. Had a friend come out on Tuesday again rearranging my entire work schedule so we could try and get my car home. I tried. I could not do it and then my friend tried he could not do it either. I did spend that morning looking at YouTube trying to master this. I think it's unfair that each state has different length of times and styles for this device.

If I could only do it for 2 min instead of 5 I may have had a chance. However the majority of reviews for Guardian and the smart device are awful. There should be some consideration. We know we committed a crime. However as my friends said people commit worse and they are not humiliated and punished like this. It's torture and robbery. I will take trains and Uber till my license is unsuspended. Horrible.

I had the same horrible experience with Interlock. The garage, Smith's Auto Import run by Greg Smith in Hopkins, MN treats people horribly. For instance, he belittled me in a room full of his customers for questioning him on false charges on the bill. I sued him and won. There are additional charges from Guardian Interlock corporate office that I'm suing for. Best thing to do is to sue these sharks.

I'll provide this public information to everyone to save you the trouble of digging it up. In Minnesota, their registered agent is CT Corporation System, Inc located at 100 South Fifth Street, suite 1075, Minneapolis, MN 55402. The company home business name is Sheram Enterprises Incorporated at 228 Church St. NE Marietta, GA 30060-1604. The company CEO is Kent Owens located at 4290 Glendale Milford Road, Cincinnati, OH 45242. Again, this is public info I found on the Minnesota State Attorney's website. Only way to get the attention of these losers is to sue them.

I called to make my appointment with the Guardian 1800 number. The woman who answered the call was very friendly, but it was all downhill from there. She scheduled my appointment with the closest service center for 1pm on a Monday and told me 2.5-3 hours for installation. When I got to the service center, I almost turned around. It looked like a junkyard, inside and outside of the building. But I had already been charged $50 for the appointment, so I decided to suck it up. I went inside and gave the correct paperwork and then left, again being promised that it would be ready in 2.5-3 hours. At 5pm, I had not heard anything so I called the service center and was told he hadn't started it yet.

I was pretty upset as I had not coordinated a ride to work for the following day as I was counting on my car. I was told he would have it done that evening. At 9pm, I still had not received a phone call, so I called again and was told he was just starting on it and it would be done around midnight!!! I am a single mom of a 2 year old, so I was not going to be able to go pick it up, let alone I needed to find a ride to get me there. The woman told me they would then bring it to my home, which I was uncomfortable with but didn't really have any other option. At quarter til midnight, they called again and said they were having trouble with the wiring diagnostics and it wouldn't be done till very late. I work at 8am, so staying up any longer was out of the question, so I told her I would get it the next day.

I ended up taking an Uber/Cab to work the next morning and also had to pay my babysitter extra to pick up my son since I didn't have time to coordinate a ride for either of us. I would have just canceled altogether and forfeited the $50 deposit, but they had conveniently charged my card prior to any work being done whatsoever. Also, to just top the whole thing off, the girl forgot to take off my $50 coupon I had off of the installation and lost my paperwork when I did finally get to pick up my car, so I was waiting in the office for a good 45 minutes before they were finally able to find it. Just a huge headache and hassle. I've talked to others that have gone with LifeSafer, and although the monthly rate is a few extra dollars a month, I really wish I would have just gone with them and recommend any and everyone else to do so.

I got a DUI 3 years ago. BUT I am still a paying customer. This product is worthless. I have had it for 11 months. I have one more month to go. I have NEVER failed a breath test, ONLY aborts! I been stranded in 5 degree weather for hours time and time again. The product has not been updated in 12 years. The technology is so old that using a cell phone too close to it can make it abort, cold weather can make it abort, eating bread can make it abort, having a cold can make it abort, your car battery not having a well enough charge can make it abort, not humming correctly can make it abort. The product is horrible.

I have had 3 different units installed in the last year. It controls my life. Every morning I have to leave extra time just in case it doesn't feel like working today. I don't leave my house unless I absolutely have to because of the stress that it causes when I get stranded because of a product that I pay a lot of money for. I don't let anyone else in my car because of the product is so loud and makes you put on such a show every time you have to use it.

There are other products out there that only take a 3 second blow and do not require humming. Not to mention the fact of how horrible it is to be stranded with someone else in your car because of a breathalyzer. The company does not care. The state of PA stopped issuing from this company because of all the complaints. Also it takes way, way, way too much concentration attempting to get this thing not to abort WHILE YOU'RE DRIVING. No one should be trying to hum, put your lips the right way and blow for that long while they are driving. THIS PRODUCT IS DANGEROUS!

I have been with this company for 5 years. When the new owners took over, the prices went thru the roof. They will charge you and not even read the report to find out if it was you or their equipment. The owner in Columbus (Linda) and the Woman (Sherrie) at the location were very RUDE. I don't know if this woman in Columbus is who they stated she was. In the time that I was there, they changed the price of removing the Interlock from my car 3 times. It went from 110 to 100 then finally 25. I still have my original installation papers from 2001.

I went there with my receipts from having my car worked on and was told it didn't matter who messed it up, I would be charged 40 bucks to have it reset. Smh. Then the Owner (Linda in Columbus Ohio) told me that she would tell my judge about my reports. I told her to PLEASE do so. Plus, when I had the Interlock removed the man that did it stole from my car, my makeup bag. Was not happy.

I feel like they are taking advantage of people that have had a DUI. In my case my record is awful, but this case was from 2001, and I had it on for five years. I know what I did was wrong, so very wrong and I feel I will never be done paying for it. I had the Interlock put on so I could prove to the judge that I don't drink and drive anymore. When I had it removed I told them that they are making me a career criminal because I was in compliance and all they wanted was money. My case is from Clermont County Ohio and I had the Honorable Judge McBride. This happened in 2001.

When I was there to have my car reset and then I was told about the charges. I told them I wanted to take it off. I didn't have to have it on this long. I was trying to obey the law. I wanted to receive my regular licenses back and I feel I deserve them. The woman started to reset my car and when I told her I would not pay the 40 bucks to do so then she aborted my report. Meaning I don't have any paperwork to prove my point. She did this and she should have known what was going to happen. Then she tried to tell me that she gave me the paperwork. I had two people with me and they can tell you what happened.

On the way there I told them what was going to happen and I was right. Smh. They did prorate my refund. I only received one because I had to argue with them. They charged me 3 dollars a day and I just had it reset and paid 105. When I had it removed it was only 10 days after paying. This is for two months. When I first was with this company it cost me 115 for two months because I had the insurance on their equipment. They dropped my insurance without informing me. I don't know why.

Also, I wanted a printout of my reports for the last two years before all this happened - I have had it on my car for 5 years - so I could send it to my judge and Linda from Columbus told me it would cost 300. I asked about this two weeks before all this, yet this same woman, after arguing with me on the phone told me she would send it to my judge because she thought it was a bad report. Not so. Over 5 years I did wonderfully. So I wish she would have done that before wanting to charge me 300 dollars to have them print it off. I feel this is my information and I am entitled to this. They said they give me a copy of my report each time I have the car reset. While this is true, who would keep five years of reports? I thought I could just print them off myself. I could if I was given permission to do so, and so can they.

It is all about the money for this company. And I still think they have/or should have a backup system so they can pull up the aborted info and print if off. They told me "No". Smh. And while writing this review I found out the main company is not located in Columbus, Ohio as they stated. Also, I have always been told that their equipment will not mess up my car. Wrong. It does mess up your electrical system. They have a sign now in their shop that tells you about it draining your battery. And it only picks up alcohol. While this may be true, it doesn't tell you if it was from drinking. You can tell what is going on if you read the reports. It does state on these reports when you blew, what happened and when you blew again or whatever. It is all there. That is why people should be trained to read them.

What a joke of a company in an already discouraging situation. I have had my device for almost 3 years and it has been a nightmare. I went with Guardian instead of Smart Start to save money. And now another one of my offices I go to has quit working with them, simply because they treat everyone poorly. So now I am on my 6th location and thru the years it is slim picking. In Denver there is 3 offices to choose from, ridiculous. At the Arvada office I was treated so poorly I absolutely refuse to go back there. Yet the woman who cussed me out still holds a job there. And as far as false positives that is just ridiculous, and for quick warm up and start... forget about it. It's scary to think if you needed to get out of a bad situation you would be just sitting there. Do yourself a favor and just go to Smart Start.

First off, the garage in Vero Beach FL took 4 hours to install my device. I've had it a week now and all I've had are "abort" messages. I've adjusted my schedule to permit me 30-40 minutes to sit in the car and wait for the machine to accept my sample. The only time it worked right off the bat was when I didn't hum, and removed my mouth from the device before sucking (which is obviously not the correct way to do it). It's a complete hit or miss so far.

Plus, none of the Customer Service people know what they're talking about. I called to ask if it was okay to remove my camera when the car was not in use, and the representative told me "it should be okay." I called to ask if it was okay to schedule a calibration appointment out past the 30-day mark (due to an apparent 5-day grace period) and the representative told me "it should be okay." Does anyone in Florida have REAL knowledge about a grace period once the device reads 0 days? I was told it could read up to -5 before I was locked out completely.

If I could put no stars, I would. I have had the misery of having this device for a year. The first month the problems were countless, I was constantly getting stranded because the device would not turn on. The Guardian Customer Service Line is the worst customer service I've ever experienced with any company, in my entire life. They don't care if your car starts, they are basically there to answer the phone, listen to you complain, and then direct you to take your car in to get looked at. Or they might say that it's your car battery, this device drains your battery, esp. if you leave it plugged in while you're not driving (ex. overnight, etc.).

I urge you to go with another company. I lost an incredible job because I could not make it on time often due to my car not consistently starting. I've had it towed over five times and today, am having it towed again. It worked fine this morning, and then four hours later it wouldn't even turn on. None of these devices are going to be perfect, far from it, but Guardian is by far the WORST interlock that you could get for your car. I am writing this review in hopes that I can prevent at least one person from dealing with this terrible company, terrible device and worst of all, the customer service.

I had the unit installed at a local dealer here in Aberdeen, Washington around the month of October or November of 2015 and then on the 9th of December I had the scheduled maintenance day and it started acting up and making my vehicle as well difficult to start, and seems to now acting in a way that it never had before the unit was installed. I was eventually beginning to become more and more frustrated with unit because there was no need for a abort or anything on my part that would cause this unit not to let me pass... At one moment I looked at the unit and it said running. I thought that it meant that my vehicle was running, but that is not what it meant. The service provider told me that it only should've said that if it were plugged into the computer that does the calibrations.

I was then having to take the vehicle in for another service, charge of 32.00 dollars and then a few days later again the same 3 thing happened. I ended up waiting on the scheduled service day to take it back to get serviced, because I could not afford to keep paying the money like that on every 32 or 4 days... After the service scheduled day, I insisted that I was given a new handset because I am not going to keep having difficulties with the previous one originally given to me. I then left the service center and again the truck has been running insufficiently and talk about stressed out. I am very low income and it takes everything extra that I receive from my disability benefits to keep my driving status current and legal... I am scared to death that the interlock I currently have now will cause me to actually be in violation without my knowledge or voluntary participation in it.

I have filed a petition with the court to see what there is that I can do to have it replaced by a different company... When I tried (as well as my attorney) to contact the Guardian company and ask them for a resolution, I had gotten nothing but negativity, saying that I must not be using the device correctly, or that I must be trying to falsify the reports and the unit would not be doing as I described, it is my human error. I'm frustrated and confused on how this would be beneficial to the people that are truly trying to become and stay legal drivers. It's like you are damned if you do and damned if you don't. If I have it removed early to go to another company (service center) then I have to pay 150.00 to have early termination and then another 150 someplace else to re-enter a unit from that company in my vehicle...and of course the Guardian company will not reimburse any of my cash that I have paying to them for a faulty device..

I drive a diesel. I think that sometimes that the unit is not properly installed and calibrated for such a vehicle... Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also in the comments part of my read out that you get after it has serviced says..."Due to increased security measures, retraining may be required. Please see your service technician for details." Model # AMS2000, serial # 47450, piece of junk (in my opinion).

Thank goodness I only have two months. I am on my second under dash unit and fourth handset, soon to be fifth because I can barely hear this one. Towed to the service center twice, although Guardian did pay for the first one. Stranded a few times off hours. A few days after I had it installed it died on me in an intersection and had to be towed. So many false fails I've lost count. Customer Service is one of the poorest I've encountered. One day while at the service center I was chatting with another client who had to travel 60 miles to my center because his local center discontinued the service due to poor quality and service. The guys at my center admit it units are a piece of crap! My advice is to shop around. I went with the low price and I have gotten what I have paid for. For the last 22 months I have felt like a victim, not a client!

My first two years of having their machine I have had lots of problems. One day ten aborts before I could start my car. Another time four rolling checks in one mile. Later another time six rolling checks in less than two miles. I was given one handset that looked like it had been through a war. The case was coming apart so I took it into the shop and was accused of tampering with the unit. I was then informed of the legal action that they could start against me. My most recent problems started two days after the handset was re-calibrated. Two days later I went out to start my car and the battery was dead. I knew I was not to Jump my battery so I disconnected the battery to recharge it. I did not know that disconnecting the battery sent an error message that I was tampering with the device.

The battery died the next two days so I bought a brand new battery. Two days later that battery was dead. I charged the battery for about four hours. I started the warm up of the device. When it said blow, I did. The pass came on when I went to start the car. The battery died and everything went black. I disconnected the battery to recharge it. The next day my handset went from 40 days to -1. I went and got it reset for $25.00 and a speech about how I needed more practice on blowing the machine. Guardian said that they never have had battery problems (LIE).

Guardian has two answers to any problem: (1) you're an idiot and aren't doing it right (drunks are morons). (2) being the criminals that you are, you most be trying to beat the machine. I understand that what I did was wrong and I have to pay for what I did. This is more punishment not monitoring. Lesson learned: no matter what you do or how hard you try to do the right thing you will always be a criminal.

Had to have an Interlock device installed in my fairly low mileage 2002 Ford F-150. First month went by fairly smooth except for my computer throwing various, intermittent codes that made no sense, and all sensors were checked and none faulty. Second month, generic control module went out. I know these F-150s have a reputation for that problem, but my vehicle was approaching 100k and had been taken back to forth where they inspected it and even added extra sealant around the driver's side/front lower window and body seam just to appease me. We had NO rainfall the previous two weeks prior to this happening. I chalked it up as bad luck.

Third month, I had to replace the GCM again and the engine management computer and had several faulty wiring issues which cost me approx. 1,200$ in just parts. I am a certified mechanic myself. They spliced power wires and other feed wires directly into the GCM and engine management computer wiring, and several other places. This CANNOT be a coincidence, I have NEVER had any issues with my vehicle, electrical nor mechanical. The tech that installed it just said "I don't know. It could be the problem, you will just have to wait until it's removed and see if they persist." What a **. I live in TN where it is required to have the monitoring or you cannot drive nor can you get the restrictions pulled. At this rate I will have to sell my vehicle just to pay for the repairs. Crazy, crazy.

I got a Guardian Breath Analyzer back in March of 2015 and it looked like it has been through a war all dinged and deep scratches on the screen and the side of the hand held device like someone has beating it on a hard surface. So when I got this install I would be able to start my vehicle up without even blowing into it. Also it would do different things like it would say over temp or beep. I can go on and on. So I called Audio Itch in Tampa, Fl and after I called them about the device was defective and letting them know that whoever had this unit before me really banged it up really good. But they couldn't care less that I wanted to get a new device after 1 1/2 months of hell with the unit. After calling Guardian about 5-7 times they would have the State director call me (Still Waiting).

But after the month and a half I begged and threatened Audio Itch to sue them and Guardian for giving defective equipment while they all get a cut of the $53.00 that you have to pay to get the device reset. I talked to 6 other people and they said they had to pay 6-10 times. I was shocked to hear this and after doing a little multiplication in my head this is a huge amount of money that Guardian, the State and Dealership make each year just to reset the device. Know just think how would you feel if the device was defective. Wouldn't that make you upset and want to sue them. Well I'm going to sue Guardian for this reason. To file a class action Lawsuit I would need more people who went through or still going through this. Please let me know. Thank you.

Had to have a Guardian device installed for 6 months. First month, everything went fine. Then during my first check in, they said the software in the device wasn't working correctly so they gave me a new handset. From that time on, it never worked correctly and would "abort" almost every time that I tried to blow into it. Had my car towed to try to get the issue figured out and they continually told me that I was the issue, not blowing in correctly (even though the first month I had no issues at all). Had about 4 different handhelds and none worked. So about 2 months in, decided to not even try driving because it wasn't worth getting a potential violation from too many tries and it not working, so took cabs everywhere. My advice would be to look for alternatives (or just not drive) rather than go through the emotional and financial troubles I experienced.

This has to be the worst product by the worst company anywhere. I have been stranded, locked out, have many fails and I don't even drink anymore. Their customer service is even more of a joke. They are rude, incompetent, and in some instances flat out lied to me. I have missed work due to this company and basically have gotten the runaround since day one. Now it's time to get the device removed and this has become more of a nightmare. I could tell the whole story but I would be typing characters for who knows how long. I could certainly see a class action lawsuit against these crooks at some point and time in the near future.

Had this ** ass machine installed on Friday because I didn't blow at a traffic stop over TWO YEARS AGO! Maryland MVA will suspend your license for 120 days for refusing! I need my car to work my new job and was ordered to have this dumbass thing in my car for a year. Less than 48 hours the device isn't working. Called Guardian's "24/7 Customer Support" and the recording says they're only open M-F 8 am-10 PM. I went to work on Sat 12 AM. Unplugged the device as told because since it's cold it will take the device to warm up. Plugged the device in and nothing showed on the display but several dots. Called another company and the technician said that the device is faulty and has to be replaced because he's done plenty of these issues.

Called to find a shop open today so that I can get to my other part time job and was told I had to wait until Monday. Called my insurance company who said that there's no tow company that can fit into my employer's garage! GUARDIAN IS GOING TO REIMBURSE MY LOST WAGES, TOWING FEES AND REIMBURSE THE MONEY I PAID TO INSTALL THIS **. TRUST ME ON THIS!

I have been using a Guardian Interlock system since May of 2015 and getting acquainted with this device was difficult. I nicked named the car the "Beast" due to the learning process of using the device and I am still learning due to the past 2 violations that happened to me during the past 4 months due to not paying any attention. Waiting for the device to pass me I decided to try to start the car. Calling Guardian to have the device bypassed to have a emergency appointment to reset the device. Waiting to talk to a customer service representative could have a 20 minute wait or you might get lucky and have someone pick up the phone right away.

I think that this type of violation is not warranted paying out $53.00. More dollars to reset the device is criminal due to a honest mistake. So I decided to come here to read all of the complaints that everyone has to offer and after reading about all the experiences here with Alcolock I have decided to stay with Guardian. I have never had any false positives and my device is installed correctly. These devices are not a toy. I just need to pay more attention instead of shelling out more money to keep myself on the road.

Guardian Interlock Company Profile