1.31/5
Based on 153 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Looking for auto and truck accessories?

172 Guardian Interlock Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: April 3, 2018

I had to have an IID in my car for 3 months and it was awful. First of all the staff was completely rude, inappropriate and utterly incompetent. For starters my car which is a 2012 Honda Civic (I'm always on time with my servicing), has always been in great shape and passes inspections for my servicing appointments with flying colors and I always fix things that need to be dealt with.

I brought my car into Guardian (it was recommended to me by my lawyer), the second they installed the IID my car battery DIED. Literally never had a problem with the battery. They told me it was my alternator and they could give me a "deal" get an alternator and install it for about $300. I said ok, as I wanted my car for the week and had no way of getting it out of there except towing it a pretty significant distance if I wanted to go to my dealership (I should have just towed my car...). They put in a new alternator, and I was on my way. I didn't have too many problems with the breathalyzer, but after the first month my car battery died twice.

I had my dad take my battery out and charge it to see if that would help. I brought my car in for the first checkup (after 30 days), and all the sudden while all my pictures and blow tests are being uploaded all the men in the shop gather around the computer. The guy who owns the shop looks at me and says, "Have you ever seen Basic Instinct the movie? The camera is like pointed down and all the pictures are showing your legs hahaha". I was mortified! I was the only woman in the shop with 4 guys staring at my pictures, BEYOND inappropriate! He said, "We're going to have to fix your camera". I should have just left then, but it would have cost me almost $300.00 for an early uninstall fee and all the other BS they charge you, and then I would have had to tow my car to another company that does IID's and re-pay an install etc. It was only for 2 more months so I decided to just put up with it.

After about 2 1/2 months the handset totally dies in my car. I Ubered to Godfathers to get a new handset, after about an hour (with all the data lost mind you), they give me a new handset and I Uber back to my car. I plug the new handset in and an error message keeps popping up and malfunctioning. I called them (at this point I'm furious, and they accuse me of eating pizza or drinking etc.), I was literally in their office 20 minutes prior and given a handset and took an Uber to my car, they know full well I didn't have time to eat something and that I hadn't been drinking... It was Nonsense.

I Ubered back to their office give them the handset and they say, "Oh you know what so and so bought this in yesterday. Because it was malfunctioning I bet thats the same handset". Wow so you knew this was a piece of crap and you just put it in the bin with all the other handsets. Amazing. Finally I get a new one that works, and I Uber back to my car. Luckily I only had 2 weeks left with this thing but there was more fun to come.

3 months is over and my car continues to die, I brought it in to get the IID uninstalled ($285.00 when all was said and done, what a JOKE!, This is after I've been paying $125.00 a month for it). He tells me I need a new battery... Which is odd because apparently I have a brand new alternator so my battery should have been fine, right? I almost think they took my good alternator out to sell it or something, and replaced it with some garbage they had lying around.

I end up taking my car into my dealership a couple weeks after I got the IID removed to get everything looked at and they told me that they messed up some wiring, that the alternator was bad (shutting off intermittently. Mind you this is supposedly a BRAND NEW alternator), my battery is totally shot, I need a new drive belt (which could have been wear and tear) and my AC pulley needs replaced. Literally all MAGICALLY happened after taking my car to these buffoons, and having an IID in for 3 months. When all was said and done after labor and parts the total was about $2,000.00 in damages.

I was told having this thing in my car would do no damage thats a complete LIE. Luckily I had an extended warranty and everything with the exception of the drive belt was covered so I got extremely lucky. I just wanted everyone to know that Godfathers in Woodinville is awful. Don't go there. They will ruin your car. If you can go anywhere else besides Guardian I would recommend you do so.

Original review: March 27, 2018

I have had the interlock for over a year now, 2/22/17. I have NEVER had a fail!! It has left me stranded on Interstates 2 times that required a tow. Both times it was equipment failure. (One was a dead battery in the unit w/ no warning light.) I have had many times where the unit would not let me start the car and I had to wait the timeout to get started. AGAIN NO FAILURES! The unit has been replaced 6 times because it had gone bad. I have called customer service numerous times and been on hold every time for at least 45 min/ call.

They have been of no help and have even lied to me to get me off the phone. (This according to the techs that install these things.) And I found that they lied about entering/recording or keeping my calls and complaints on record. WORST customer service I have ever seen. I am a paying customer/ A CLIENT! I CHOSE to use Guardian rather than give up my license for the year!

The retest can come at very DANGEROUS TIMES, when in traffic and on the interstates! I even had to personally show up at their field office to get what they called VIOLATIONS removed from my record. THEY had reported them to the MVA as violations and they were NOT! They take MY money and show NO regard for my problems with their equipment, my or my family's safety, my time and work schedule, proper reporting to the MVA (which can remove me as they see fit), and can get away with lies to me and the MVA. I hear of many others with problems and I hope that these remarks will get them to stand up and speak their piece!

Get expert buying tips about Auto and Truck Accessories delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 26, 2018

This is my "last straw" review after 3 months with the Guardian Interlock device in my vehicle. Since Dec 12, 2017, I have experienced 3 serious issues with the device leaving me stranded or unable to get to work. After investigation, all conclusions were that this is the device's fault, not mine or my vehicles. The company has not reimbursed me a penny (even after stating it is failure with their device) and I have incurred >$500 in towing fees, plus time from work, plus inevitable stress. I am shopping around for a new provider as this is stressful beyond words when trying to juggle my parallel pregnancy (I am currently 6 months pregnant) and have a full time traveling job. I will NEVER recommend and will be considering taking the company to court for, at the minimum, financial reimbursement.

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

For weeks I have been losing my days programmed to result in waking up in the morning to -5, -6 or even Perma-Lock. This is not vehicle specific. I have two vehicles and it happens on both. The owner of Guardian in Utah, Chris **, is very pleasant when convincing you to buy his product. But, he is a jerk to work with when his stuff doesn't work. Stay away!!! By his own admission, they used refurbished equipment. I met a tech in Vegas that said not only is it refurbished, when he worked there they didn't even field test any of it. He said they have tons of issues. But hey, they go home at night. Wait 'til you are by yourself and you can't go anywhere due to this product. They will not reimburse!

Original review: Jan. 27, 2018

Well I don't know where to start but let see. First of all every time I get in my car I regret I didn't research other interlock devices because that is a mistake I will live with daily till I complete this sentence with the most sad poor excuse for a company. I mean to be honest it takes a lot and I mean a lot! For me to spend my time complaining about any company but this one is my very first one that I felt I had to do so with and that's saying a lot.

I mean they have super poor customer service and they do talk down to you. Super unprofessional. They make mistakes and try to convince you that it's your fault and then today they had the audacity to tell me do I want them to fix the problem or not! I'm like, "Yeah are you serious? Of course I need the problem fixed". You would think after you call them many many times and stayed on hold for hours they would have figured that out that yeah that's why I called to fix my problem I mean it's like they think I love to call them and bother them. I swear if I had no reason to call them I would never call them but unfortunately every time I end up calling them.

It’s one of the worst experiences not just sometimes but every every time. No lie and it's sad that I know to expect that because this company never changes. It progressively gets worse and worse and today it got to the point that I can't stay silent anymore. I know I can't quit them but I will be thanking God the day my hell with this company is over and I'm sure I'm not the only one. There is many many people that will be thankful for that day as well that go through the same hell that I go through so I know I'm not alone in this but like many say I hope this company goes out of business. Just saying. Does any company that conducts business the way they do has no business doing business.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Guardian Interlock?

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

Not enough time in my life to explain why this company does not even deserve a single star. I've had the interlock for 6 months and have yet to make it to the scheduled monthly service date without the thing stripping me of days and making me go in early just to give them extra cash to reset it. I had it literally for two days before calling them and telling them I must go to MN, from PA, for work for one month. They said, "no worries, when time for monthly service call us and we'll set it up for you in MN". I did, but had to do it two days after arriving in MN because it mysteriously dropped to 4 days and flashing "SERVICE". I called them from MN, 200 miles from home only for them to put me on hold for 35 minutes and finally say "we don't have any service stations in MN". (Later found out the state of MN had rejected their Co. and kicked them out, so to speak, for shoddy service beyond description).

Anyway, closest service was in Nebraska! Had to do it they said or the car will lock out and not run. So, made the 325 mile trip, the closest mind you, only to return to MN, the next day, and have it do it again. Not one word a lie!!! Returned to Nebraska two days later... Spending the cost for a hotel room twice, plus missing a total of 3 days work. Moving along, I've been semi local, within a 100 miles of home in PA for the past 4 months only to have had to take the device in for early service each time, minimum once, before each scheduled service. IT HAS NEVER LASTED A FULL TERM!!! I Have received my one year sober pin 2 months ago so they cannot say it's not working properly because of failed blows. Their excuse? I missing rolling blows. When it goes off while driving. BS!!! Come to find out, a few times I'd pull into my destination and it would go off before I was ready to shut the car off.

Well common sense would say no need to blow, I'm at my destination, and shut the car off right? WRONG!!! They want you to blow in it no matter. NICE! If only they would tell you these things that happen to make them money prior to you spending additional hundreds while pulling your hair out. They did finally, and literally laughed about it and the fact I had to drive to Nebraska twice because of it. This is funny to these people. I've so many stories but am getting worked up again so let me just finish with telling you I am now 140 miles from home, in Long Island, NY. Had a message on my way up here, two days ago that read across the screen "NO BASE". The car would not start. I started from scratch and it finally started and showed my service due at 16 days. Correct I thought, I just might make a service day without these cons getting extra out of me. NOT!

I went out to the car at lunchtime (already started it this morning to get to work, no problems), and there it flashed, "SERVICE DUE" 4 days remaining! WTH?? I called the number of the state office, I now know by heart only to get another ignorant woman that sounded like she was talking to me from home on the loudspeaker. The mention of this to her just ticked her off and she hung up after having me on hold for 20 minutes. People, this is no lie and no joke. These people and this company will not be around long, I pray, so save the time and go to another agency. PLEASE! Take my advice on this matter. I KNOW. And I want you to know I've only briefly touched on the hassles and blatant ignorance displayed by this outfit. There are other agencies that provide the interlock. USE ONE OF THOSE!!! If not...DON'T SAY YOUR WEREN'T TOLD. Good luck.

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

I am a business owner, and haven't touched a drop of alcohol in over 4-1/2 years. I drive roughly 1000 miles a week with frequent stops. A few months ago I had a Guardian Interlock installed on my company truck because my PO stated that if I would have a device installed on my vehicle, then by July 2018 he would lift all restrictions on me. I said no problem. So a few months ago I had a Guardian installed. The equipment that was put in my truck in Texas City Texas was worn out and frayed. The technician told me that it was because Guardian would not send him any new equipment.

After the second week everything started to go wrong. My truck went from 27 days to 0 overnight. This is awesome, because I work 7 days a week. So now my truck is shut down, and no shop to take it to on a Saturday afternoon. So the truck sits in my driveway. So much for making my appointments. Come Monday, the lady on the phone told me how to by-pass the system... The wrong way, so now I am totally locked out. But wait, this gets even better. After changing the system out, now I am at the shop every week to have it recalibrated because it keeps running down to 0 or to -3.

This week I have spent over 12 hours in 3 days taking this ** unit in to have it recalibrated and I am losing a ton of business because of it. Now keep in mind, I don't drink, and will never touch the stuff again. But I told Guardian that I want this piece of crap out of my truck and changed over to another system, of which they own, and they refuse to do it without a court order. Well, I didn't have a court order when I had it installed. So I told them that they had one of two choices come Monday. Either they can take it out, or I will. And if I take it out, it will go in the trash. I don't give a ** about their ** contract. Bite me.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

Never use Guardian! Their devices are garbage! I've been stuck on many occasions because it reads "abort" and after so many tries it will lock you out. Mind you I blow into this POS the same way EVERY time! I've never had a fail, but one day it left me and my son sitting in the cold for damn near 30 minutes in the cold. Don't bother calling their CS department. It takes an hour minimum for them to answer. Then they are rude and don't ever offer ANY assistance! If I knew I wouldn't have to shell out well over a grand for a new one I'd take a hammer to this thing!

Original review: Dec. 10, 2017

I've had this device installed for 3 days, very slow warm up process, had to go through plenty of HUM ABORTS. I was told before getting an IID installed to watch out that it kills your battery. After installation and training on using the device I asked the installer if it really does drain your battery and he said no. That it goes into sleep mode? I thought okay cool.

Last night driving down the freeway with my little one in the back seat, freeways about 60MPH it alarms me to take a retest. As soon as I pass the retest my car went out of control. I was thrown across the freeway in every direction not being able to stop. I somehow thankfully managed to dodge hitting other cars. I saw one car go sideways trying to avoid being hit by me. I was swerving across all of the lanes. At one point I was sideways facing the barrier and I thought we were going to hit it. (I had lost all control to the car, my power steering, my breaks, my lights were going dim) my car spun around and almost flipped to the side. And finally stopped sideways in the middle of the freeway. luckily I had been swerving long enough the traffic behind me had slowed down.

Some kind, people eventually stopped risking their lives on the freeway to push my car to the side of the freeway. My lights were out at that point. Device wouldn't turn on. Window wouldn't go up, had to manually lock the doors. I left my car there and went back the next day with a different battery. Replaced the battery and the device turned on, I passed the test and my car started. I called the Guardian Interlock hotline and they were rude and claim that it had nothing to do with their device that their device uses as much battery as a clock. I have an appt to get the device uninstalled ASAP. I refuse to put my kids' lives at risk and will deal with the courts. I wish I had taken the time to read the reviews first as they are all 1 star reviews all stating the same thing about killing the battery. DO NOT USE GUARDIAN INTERLOCK!!

Original review: Oct. 16, 2017

Divide codes no base or 6tzs, technician replace it 3 times because of device fault but headquarters start that device is fine. So I never get reimbursed my towing money and when you call you need to wait more than 1 hour.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

Horrible, Condescending, rude! A total equipment nightmare. Antiquated equipment. I only wish I did research before going with this co. I cannot believe the way their State office handles calls. Hermane, was rude and extremely condescending. He did All the talking and not allow me to say a word. HOURS on hold. Deliberate hang ups by reps, hoping I would think it was a drop call. I feel they know you are already in a compromised situation and they are taking full advantage of it. Terrible! Don't go with this company! I wish I did the research first!!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

Guardian is one of the most highest expensive devices out there! They overcharge everyone differently. Now they Overcharged my card and if I stop payment I could find problems with my report because of them! Now I found a device nearly 1/2 the cost and can't just go and have this ridiculous device removed without more costs. RMV miserable people to get a form from... NO ONE HONEST TO HELP!

PLEASE people look into several companies first. Ask about the TOTAL monthly costs, if they honor the courts 30 day (I have to go every 28 days because garage set it up to gain 2 more months of payments with Guardian in the long run), and have them TELL YOU ABOUT ALL POSSIBLE fees that might occur I.e. rolling fee (which means not only do you have to listen for the beep to blow BUT NEED TO LOOK AT IT IF IT DOESN'T BEEP BUT IS LIT UP)... I didn't know this and went to park and shut it off just before it sounded and Guardian charged me an extra $45! I pay $123 per month for 2 years and to have to pay all these unregulated fees is greedy dishonest people! The other company I called is $85 TOTAL for each month and with a 5 day grace period and treat you like a person.

I feel that the RMV is also to blame now that I want to have this device switched and what they told me I'd have to do in order for that to happen is like fighting Congress. Well live and learn. The penalties don't stop there... Your insurance goes over double and yet we have a Interlock installed!!! It's how this country works anymore. Greed greed greed!!! Good luck and yes driving is a privilege but it shouldn't cost you over and over!

Original review: Oct. 7, 2017

I have had the Guardian Interlock for 3 months now, I have had 9 handsets, had to have my car towed, rewire the set. The state office is closed on weekends. I have lost my job due to not being able to start my car due to their junk equipment. I just got another 1 and does not work. #10, all not due to my fault. How can someone run a business this way. I start a new job Monday and good thing I still have the old 1. Lawyers and courts do not care. I had it.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

I received 2 letters from the MVA stating I have 13 bypass violations. The Interlock will let me start the car just fine, but if it's dark and as soon as my headlights come on then the alarm starts going off. So then I have to shut the car off and try again. This even happens while I'm driving even after a rolling test that I pass. If my lights come on automatically because it's getting dark then it triggers the alarm. This is not my fault.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

This company has done me a huge disservice and their installer destroyed my Porsche! Their phone is constantly busy and they talk down to you when their service destroys your property! I also found out that they are also Guardian (which has many horrible reviews). It seems as if they just started a new business to escape their negative press and reviews! I own a marketing agency and if this business doesn't compensate me fairly for the damages I will make sure I spread my story so far and wide that thousands of people get saved before deciding to let this company be their ignition interlock provider. Luckily I have many clients who are attorneys which will make recovering the damages a bit easier if I need to do it the legal route!

Original review: Sept. 12, 2017

There is really nothing more I can add to the numerous other complaints. However! I will say that this machine is draining my battery. I have a brand new battery in my car, and no troubles till now. And of course they will tell you it's not the Interlock draining it so they don't have to be accountable. I know I made this mistake, I'm 100% accountable for that, enough is enough though. Now, I don't even have reliable transportation!

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

I cannot believe that this company is still in business!!! First off, the shop closest to me in west Texas has minimal hrs when he will service the Interlock, guy is a jerk! I was running late one day and I called him to say I'd be about 10 min late coming from work, this guy charged me $50 for ten min and I was the last appt of the day!!! So now I drive 70mi one way for monthly resets, trash!!! My most recent trouble was I went for a reset, got home, shut my truck off and the thing says -1. So I call and he says come back the next day. He'll get it straightened out, so I do. Get home that night and it says -3. I call, get it set up to come back the next day and I can't get a hold of the technician. I call. They give me bypass deal and say that I'll have to keep calling back to get a bypass till I can get the truck into the shop! THIS IS A LIE, you can only bypass once in Texas!!!

So as I write this, I've driven 420 miles wasted about 10 hrs, it's 3 am, and there is no one who can help, because it's after hours. They answer the phone to say "We can't help you. It's after 4 pm." Give me a break. I work till five so I'm outta luck cause I have a job???? I work nights!!!! An UBER from where I am to my house is $65 so I guess I'll sleep in the truck and wait for the world to be ready cause I have to wait for a supervisor!!!! I am gonna copy and paste this on everything I can find so that nobody uses GUARDIAN FOR ANYTHING!!!

Original review: July 22, 2017

I wish I could give 0 stars. This is the first day I've had the device. Got it installed, drove home - next time I try to start the vehicle, the LED message says No Base. All Guardian "customer service" says is to unplug the handheld and/or battery (which I now read may look like a tampering error in the system) and try again. If that doesn't work, have the vehicle towed back to the service center on my dime!!! I'm outraged and upset to the point of years. They should have a better resolution to their ** equipment misfunctioning than to cost their customer more money than what we already shelling out for probation. They need to go out of business!

Original review: May 12, 2017

I have had this blow & hum device for almost 2 weeks now and have had nothing BUT problems. I have had to tow my truck x3 due to this faulty equipment. 1st - it perm locked me out for no apparent reason (on a Saturday) & customer service stated they "could not help me" so towing my vehicle home was the only option until I could get into a shop on TUESDAY of course paying towing again from home to the shop - paid out of pocket almost another $100. 2nd - it was stuck in warm up mode for an hour and a half, leaving me stranded with no help from customer service - again towed for over $100. 3rd - yesterday I got into my vehicle, the device malfunctioned and FAILED me before I could even test. WHAT?! How much more could a person take? It doesn't even help that customer service is a waste of time... they make you feel like you are to blame and are incapable of using their crappy equipment.

ADVICE TO POTENTIAL CONSUMERS: DO NOT GO WITH GUARDIAN SECURITY! You will be extremely disappointed and will be paying an enormous amount of time & money trying to get this device to work. Please look at the reviews for this particular company - it'll save you the hassle & headaches. I am going to be disconnecting service however it's going to cost me $150+90 for the removal. I'll pay this amount just to get away from GUARDIAN to go to a more reputable company that'll ensure I'll make it home safe & sound without the anxiety & the uncertainty of it malfunctioning and leaving me high & dry with no funds to tow me & my vehicle home.

Original review: April 11, 2017

I had trouble with my device all weekend, to the point my car wouldn't start. I thought it was my perhaps my battery but the breathalyzer was giving mixed results after blowing. I called a local guardian vendor and they immediately contacted me back saying they were sending someone out. The regional manager of the East Coast of Flordia, Ian, showed up promptly after driving an hour to my vehicle. He spent over 3 hours working on my battery voltage and handheld set. He was calm, kind, and I am extremely thankful for all his help! Guardian Interlock gets 5 stars from me.

Original review: March 26, 2017

Guardian equipment is outdated and junk. I had to set in my car for over three minutes to wait for it to warm up until I bought a new vehicle and went with Smart Start which takes less than 20 seconds to start up. This happened every time I shut the car off and it pissed a lot of people off at me when I would go get gas or anywhere else where I was required to shut my vehicle off. I had to make a appointment for recalibration that came with a $50.00 penalty if I missed it when Smart Start gives you 5 days before or after your calibration date.

My battery went dead one morning on the way to work and when I got a jump it wiped out all my days and they charged me $35.00 to recalibrate it 7 days after I just had it recalibrated. When I called to pay $51.00 for a lock out code they passed me around for 35 minutes before I got to the person to give me, what turned out to be the wrong code and I missed my appointment to have their junk removed from my old vehicle. And here's the real joke, they were charging me $18.00 a month more than SMART START. Honestly I don't know how they stay in business.

Original review: March 14, 2017

Although my experience with the local company was a good one, the corporate offices decided to end its association locally. Out of business. I am now left not knowing where to return the device and yet another charge for an installment.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2017

OK. My truck shut down. No biggie. Called a tow truck. Decided to have a beer. Busted for OVI. But I was not driving. Had to have this ** suckin' piece of crap... Installed in my truck. It is destroying my truck. As it is a diesel. No way to power the device on without cycling the key, prompting the injectors and a fuel dump into the cylinders at $300 an injector not counting labor for install. And well guess where that goes... Problem to me!!! As I am not a very loud person. The device aborts all the ** time for no tone. Also when I do start my truck by the time I can roll I have already taken 3-4 tests. And when I am rolling it wants tests when I am trying to navigate back roads. With a lot of curves... With the device wanting a hum and a 5 sec breath sample. Getting dizzy trying to make this ** device happy. I cannot leave my truck alone running on deliveries as I need to. So I need to burn up a $400 starter to keep the device happy. And not miss a test.

This piece of crap also does not like cough drops. Breads. And a list of items I use or eat on a daily basis... Like toothpaste. Mouthwash. Whatever... All I see is that the states and the courts have employed nothing but a bogus. Bogus way of testing for BAC. Even the tests at the recovery centers people are assigned to do... They do not have a test that can single out abuse. If you use hand sanitizer. You will test positive. Perfumes or colognes. Pizza dough. Breads, the list goes on. We let the start and the courts get out of control. This interlock device is a piece if crap as the recovery center tests are false. As when I went in one day and I tested positive for opiates. My wife laughed as I blew up. When she told them she cannot get me to take a ** when I have a headache.

This device is nothing but a pain. Cannot determine a cough drop and or a menthol cig... Or a bread/dough from a person who is drinking. Hell my wife got a fail after eating a mint chocolate. With all the tech we have now. There has to be a better tech to be employed than this piece of ** waste of money... And threat to the lives of the users and others on the road. Worse than a cell phone if you ask me. And I think a cell phone is pretty darn bad. And to add to this. I know I was busted for OVI but my cousin seen the judge and prosecutor having alcoholic drink at lunch before my hearing... Double standard?? Two faced?? Or people above the law???

Original review: Nov. 24, 2016

I wish I'd paid attention to all the one star reviews. I installed a Guardian Interlock blow and hum device, and it is a pain. It takes a long time to warm up, you have to blow hard for a long time and hum (which makes me dizzy), and it frequently aborts. Now that the temperature has dropped, my car needs to be jumpstarted, even though I had the battery tested and it was fine, and I drive the car almost everyday. Also, my local service center charges almost twice as much as others mentioned in reviews, and they're really snotty--treat me as if they're doing me a favor when I go in for service. All-in-all an unpleasant experience.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2016

An interlock is an inconvenient device no matter how you look at it however, this co. makes a minor headache a raging migraine. I was with a different company previously and my car broke down so I thought I might save a few dollars with LifeSafer when I purchased my new car. Big mistake. This is a humming device which is way more temperamental than the other device I had installed which was just a blow. That was a pain but it's the fact that their customer service is a nightmare. They were very friendly and efficient when I called to have the interlock installed but that quickly changed. Every time I called there is usually a 20-30 wait time. I live in Tennessee and if I needed to speak to someone In that office It would always be sent to a voicemail in which I have left countless messages and never would receive a callback.

I would have to call around 6-10 times throughout the day with a 20-30 minute wait each time until I was finally connected to the Tennessee office. I work and this is extremely inconvenient. I have spent countless lunch break all on hold with this co. When I was able to take the device out of my car you can't just go into the garage where they service the interlock and show them your new valid license. I was told I have to go through LifeSafer and they would call my local garage and give them the ok to have the interlock taken out of my car. The first day I called and waited only for about an hour to speak to someone she told me to email her a front and back of my new license and she would call the garage. Awesome Right? Wrong.

My email went without response for over a day. I tried to 3 times to call all with 20 wait times and reached voicemail each time. I emailed her back and she finally responded: "wait 30 min then call your garage and set up appt." I called an hour later to give her ample time to call the garage and they never heard anything from them. Tried calling back the whole rest of the day. Couldn't reach them. Sent two more emails informing her and nothing. This is now the 4th day and my device will lock out in 3 days and the garage closes for Thanksgiving in 2 days. It's like twilight zone. You can put the device in your car but can't get it taken out. This is literally a nightmare.

Original review: Nov. 9, 2016

I've had a Guardian Interlock for several months now. It is slow to warm up and getting slower as we approach winter. And it takes a lot of time to analyze. And twice now I have been required to have the thing reset before the required 60-day interval. This thing costs me $75/month WITHOUT having to prematurely reset it. And if you make short trips, be sure to blow EVERY TIME it asks. Don't simply shut the car down if it is calling for you to blow.

Also, if you work on your car (tune-ups, etc.) be sure to blow EVERY TIME it asks. If you shut the car down without blowing, the greedy folks at Secure Auto require $50 for the two minutes it takes to reset the damn thing. They refuse to waive the $50 or so required to prematurely reset this thing. I selected Guardian because I needed it quickly and it could be serviced nearby. I wasn't made aware of the scamming hidden costs. So, I am now looking elsewhere and shopping much more intelligently to replace the Guardian for a faster brand which doesn't mandate a $50 penalty for a simple, 2-minute premature reset. If you need an interlock, ask the vendor for a copy of the contract and operating instructions BEFORE you commit to a brand.

Updated on 04/03/2017: I've had a Guardian for nearly a year now and have already written a one-star review. So now my transmission fails and I decide to get a new car. I am told I must have the car towed into the Guardian agent to remove the existing Guardian unit. At $5/mile (AAA rate) and about 65 miles round trip towing will run me $325!! DO NOT GET GUARDIAN. In addition to obsolete equipment (as reported by other reviewers) they have NO field service and don't seem to give a damn about their "customers".

Original review: Oct. 28, 2016

This company needs to be shut down! When I was convicted of my first DUI back in 2007, there was no structure or system put in place. There was a new person at the front desk every time I came in. Not only that, they messed up my paperwork right off the back. Fast forward - the location I was going to in Golden shut down. They transferred me to this hole-in-the-wall "garage" where the owner only operated at certain times and sometimes wasn't there when I showed up.

After THIS location got shut down, they moved it to ANOTHER "garage", literally. Where the owner and this lady were constantly rude, and DRUNK! The dude reeked of alcohol and the lady was incompetent. There were so many times this FLAWED device has be pay EXTRA $$$ every month because of the device. I have had to pay so much EXTRA $$$ out of my pocket. This ALSO caused my increase in time of the device because of the DEFECTS.

After this THIRD LOCATION SHUT DOWN, they moved me to a location in Arvada. They were the easiest to deal with, but even the owner there honestly opened up to me about how hard it is to keep employees working because of the conditions. These poor people!!! Only puppeteering for the $$$. THE FINAL DRAW for me was when they STOPPED sending my downloaded information and payments to the DMV. In result, it showed them that I was NON COMPLIANT, therefore, my license was revoked.

Well, I got pulled over for a speeding ticket one night driving from Fort Collins, and found out through THIS INCIDENT. Although I had my license in hand and WAS COMPLIANT, the company Guardian Interlock, was NOT DOING THEIR PART!!! Luckily, I had a sober passenger who could drive us home, but I still got a TICKET and they made drive back up NORTH to go to court where I had to FIGHT this ticket and STILL had to pay a FINE!!! FOR THEM NOT DOING THEIR JOB!!!

After that, that was enough for me to pull my duties as their customer/client, whatever I am considered to them... MORE LIKE $$$ dollar signs. THE RESULT: I paid the EXTRA money to get the device removed and went to SMART START and paid AGAIN for installation. ALL IN ALL - Smart Start has been great. They are helpful, consistent, and their devices are on point. HOPE THIS HELPS to anyone who has to get the device installed and out as soon as possible - SMART START IS THE WAY!!!

Original review: Oct. 21, 2016

I recently had to have an interlock installed in my vehicle to reinstate my driver's license. I made the mistake of going with Guardian! After only one week with the device I have discovered that the equipment is extremely outdated and has almost caused me to get in multiple accidents. As part of the terms of having the interlock a camera is installed to make sure you are indeed the person using the device. The issue I have is that the camera they use is HUGE and makes visibility a real and dangerous problem. You also have to hum into the device to make sure you're a human which made perfect sense when a camera was not necessary. When I contacted Guardian to speak to someone about my issue in hopes that they had an updated device I may use I was met with both a "tough luck" and ** attitude.

I am now having to pay $210 additional dollars one week after installation to have an updated device with a camera one tenth the size through a company called Intoxalock. When I told them about the issue they informed me that humming into the device was not required because of the camera which made perfect sense. When looking up companies to get the device I chose Guardian because of how large they were and neglected to read the reviews which at the very least would have given me pause about using them at all.

To summarize they are a horrible company to deal with from sales to service to the product itself. Do yourself a favor and choose any state approved company beside Guardian. It will save you a lot of time, money and energy. P.S. I am using online avenues to comment about Guardian to warn potential customers but also in hope that they will see this review as they refused to give me a physical address to write them a formal complaint.

Original review: Oct. 16, 2016

I was convicted of DUI twice in 2 years. I accept that, and am willing to do what is required of me by law to pay my due to society. I am gainfully employed in a white collar job. Happily married and own my home. Part of my sentence was an ignition interlock device. I have complied. Fortunately, I am able to pay the average of $100 per month for the honor of having the device on my vehicle. However, I was recently notified that I was commanded to go to a different company, LifeSafer, for my service, so I complied. I felt I had no choice. I reside in Florissant and was given the option of going to Chesterfield or Lake St. Louis for my device to be 'downloaded' one a month. So I complied. However, this new device requires you to 'hum', yes 'hum', while blowing so the machine knows you are a human and not a machine.

Now, I was arrested for driving under the influence, not poor humming. And I apparently cannot hum. I have had to pull over, stop, take up to 10 minutes to try and get the the hum right, not too loud, not soft, evenly, whatever. Today, I had to pull over with my elderly mother in the vehicle, on the shoulder of Highway 270, southbound, just north of Olive, because I had 'Hum Abort'. That is an extraordinarily busy highway.

The purpose of this letter is twofold. First, the State of Missouri should really vet its retail providers better. This is a lucrative business for a business that can convince the state it is reputable, yet - can be so damaging to those trying to abide by state mandates. Second, this is a very dangerous position this company, LifeSafer/Guardian has put the State of Missouri in. I am placing you, Governor Nixon, personally, and the State of Missouri, on notice that should I be injured or killed as a result of the malfunction, use, attempted use and compliance of the Interlock Device, provided by Guardian/LifeSafer, my beneficiaries, my designated personal representative, and/or myself will pursue a personal injury claim, not limited to loss of consortium and wrongful death against any and all available entities, including LifeSafer/Guardian and the State of Missouri, seeking remedy for our claims.

I suggest the State of Missouri review the Vendors they have enlisted to act on behalf of the State to provide this service. While very beneficial to prevent deaths via drunk driving, it is only a matter of time before one of us is killed, simply being compliant with the State's mandates. Should you wish to discuss this further, please feel free to contact me.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2016

This machine has so many issues. I was required to have in my car for 6m. I can get it started and when I have to retest it will abort before I finish. There are times I have to retake 6 or 7 times. It is just stupid. Once I had to retest about 9 times, it would not register, this is after I had been running errands. It told me to turn off engine. It took another 3 times to get it to start. It will buzz out before you even finish trying to test. Then it will say it needs service. Then they charge you 45 dollars because they told me it is considered a refusal... So it's a refusal when I try NINE times??? His response, "I see where you tried, but it's still a refusal."

Are YOU SERIOUS??? MONEY SCAM. I can barely afford it, now you want to charge me an extra 45 because of issues. They refuse to acknowledge it's an issue. Their response, "It's a change in your breathing pattern." You think? Because after nine times... OF COURSE I would not be breathing the same. This is a piece of junk. Poor design. I understand it needs to be there for legal purposes, but use a device that is not poorly made, that makes people have to come in and pay extra, then act like they are breathing wrong. Because after having it in my car now for the 3rd month, I all the sudden forgot how to breathe. Ok. Sure. I just try to leave to go get groceries... 6 times... it keeps aborting. I quit. Kids don't need groceries anyway... right?

Guardian Interlock Company Information