Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.28/5

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Guardian Interlock Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Guardian Interlock?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Guardian Interlock?

Original review: March 12, 2020

Dealing with Guardian Interlock was the Worst Experience of my Life... I was only required to use device an IID for 6 months. Upon completion of my 6 months, I contacted Guardian to send me my release paperwork. Guardian Interlock HQ refused to release my certification of completion to the courts. They added 2 months to my time with the device in my vehicle and made me pay for those additional 2 months of fees. I called their service line everyday for a month and was constantly hung up or transferred to a dead line. All I needed was one simple release form. I never raised my voice or was rude, their customers service department just acted this way.

After a month of this, I eventually contacted my attorney to deal with Guardian and it took my fabulous attorney over a month to receive the release paperwork to remove my device with the courts. If my attorney had not taken mercy on me and done this work pro-bono, I would have been stuck with an additional $1000 bill to receive a simple document. Yet, I still had to pay Guardian for the extra 2 months of the device. How can this be ethical? AVOID THIS COMPANY AT ALL COST. All of these stresses will COST you money. Shame on you Guardian, you have been in business for 35 years and never been BBB accredited. Want to guess why???

Original review: Oct. 12, 2019

This device has been insult to injury. It locks me out regularly. False failure, days disappear, multiple handset changes and a full system rewrite. I am down to 18 days to get this monster out of my life and I hear the devices clicking. I know better since I have had problems so I went home and turned the car off. No beeps and I can’t restart the engine. Of course it’s a Saturday so no one can help me until Monday. The gal on the phone was nice but she couldn’t provide any help. Go literally anywhere else.

Get buying tips about Auto and Truck Accessories delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 10, 2019

I have had this unit installed for 1 1/2 years and it has been nothing but a headache. Initially it would just continue requiring me to breath in the device every minute. They claimed it was my battery. I had brand new battery. Was not that. My alternator was charging over 13 volts; I was told that was not enough amperage for this device, it requires over 14 volts to run properly. A car does not need 14 volts but guardian unit does. Replaced alternator $355 when I never had a starting issue. I have at least false 5 lockouts, each which require me to miss work and pay a fee to clear the lockout. This most recent lockout incident is insane. I just had my monthly calibration on Sept 6, 2019 (Friday) and I get a lock message on Monday Sept 9th, the reason event log full. I called Guardian initially.

The rep was implying this would not be my responsibility and as long as the service center indicated it "was not my fault" because event log was full but Guardian then that shifted and said I am responsible for the service tech not clearing the event log on Friday and have to pay for this unless the service center says it is not my fault. There is no doubt in my mind there is some corrupt business practices taking place here, their units are faulty and they collecting fees for violations. I have not drank any alcohol in well over 10 years and I know better prior to starting your car and blowing in their device you cannot eat, use mouthwash, clean windows with cleaner, transport people that are emitting heavy scent of alcohol; all of these will give you a lockout, resulting in disabling your card and shutting down your car in two days; unless you go pay their hostage fee or lockout fee. Guardian's practices are deceptive, their unit is defective and this must be stopped.

I want to start a class action suit! Please keep track of all your problems, write down times, dates, who you spoke with at Guardian, your problem you ran into, time lost resolving, money lost either by missing work or paying Guardian for a false lockout. I am contacting BBB, working on getting an attorney arranged so leave contact info. This will not be the 1st class action suit on these breathalyzer companies. It must stop, when do we stop getting punished? Yes, we made a poor decision and there are consequences for our actions; driving is not a right. It is a privilege. If you have not had any issues you will, so please keep track of problems and issues and google Guardian Class Action Suit because it will be happening as will BBB be contacted.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2019

I have had this Interlock install for 1 1/2 months and I have been locked out my car twice and had had 4 false alarms. When you call their supposedly 24/7 support you never get help. You are on hold for 30 min to an hour. They have an option to call you back but they are not really helpful. All they say is that you need to take the device back to shop to get it serviced. The installer I used has no real knowledge of the tool they are supporting. They just know how to press buttons and calibrate the device. This has been a very frustrating experience that has left me very dissatisfied with the product. They advertise easy to use but my device takes up to 3-4 minutes just to warm up so you can blow. You have to hum and blow so it makes it very easy to mess up and then if you do you have to wait again just to retry. This is very hard and inconvenient when you have other devices that start up right away and all you have to do is inhale and exhale.

Original review: July 29, 2019

Worst customer service I have ever seen. Not to mention that pretty much everything people write in reviews are true (technical problems, hidden fees, ext...). You can forget about help if you happen to need it, and you will need it! You won’t be able to get in touch with anyone for days, if you're lucky for hours if you have a problem. Their sales team will always answer but as soon as you say that you’re existing customer you will get transferred to different line immediately (sales will not help you with anything) and good luck waiting for help on that line! I wish I did more research before getting Guardian!

Original review: July 16, 2019

If I could choose “No” stars I would. Kick you while you're down. Hidden fees they do not bring to your attention till right before you're about to process payment (after you watch the video and sign paperwork). Deactivation fee from shop that’s even more $$ than the monthly collaboration payments!! Yeah. Your choice of insurance but $100 deductible vs $1500 stolen device that’s out of your hands!? Yeah this breathalyzer company really cares for your well-being... I spoke with several reps from here over a week's time shopping around for installation and they seemed worthy enough. Then finding a shop that will do it in a convenient and timely manner with my busy schedule, they seemed to be great (Guardian)... I was very wrong.

On top of all this, when I left the shop in Covina Ca where I was getting it installed I called Guardian several times to express my negative experience and handling of these charges... I couldn’t get thru to any customer service reps, minutes long wait BUT boy did I get thru when pressing #1 and #2 in their automated system to schedule another appointment for installation. When I finally got thru and told them about my installation visit, all I was told was, "We’re very sorry to hear that," ** long pause. Smh. Don't let them fool you. DO YOUR RESEARCH AND FIND THE BEST POSSIBLE, AFFORDABLE & REASONABLE INTERLOCK SYSTEM for YOURSELF. They’re thieves.

Original review: June 30, 2019

The Guardian system has lost its mind several times and kept the car from turning off. The breathalyzer unit displays a 'Turn ignition off' but the car can't be turned off. Today it ran for over three hours. I called Guardian in the first hour and they never called back. I finally reached the guy who installed this wacky system and fixed it myself. This company is terrible. My dealership said they'd never seen such a screwy installation.

Original review: June 8, 2019

I do not even know where to start. I have had this device in my car for two years now and have gone through 4 handsets, rewiring, resets, towing, connection issues, being stranded, false refusals, over and over and over again. I have no violations and all I want is for their devices to work when I do exactly what I supposed to do. That's it! Customer service was even worse. I was disconnected 5 times and "accidentally" transferred to the survey, in the middle of my conversation, each time.

Original review: April 24, 2019

I could write a book about this company but I’ll try to keep this short and simple. I just received my successful completion of the program letter. What should have been a year turned into almost 16 months of pain and agony! I never had a drop of alcohol while trying to start my vehicle. After only a little over a month in the program I received a violation in the mail for a bypass. I look at the time and date it was prior to me having the system installed in my car. It took me numerous calls and lots of being on hold with them to have this removed.

Month 2 go for my calibration leave there go to the gym. Come out and my car will not start, I had a strange code on my handset. I call my service center and luckily the guy was close and said he could come check my car out. He comes out, disconnects the battery wires and does some stuff under the hood and gets my car started. Lo and behold I get another violation. Again I spend hours of time calling customer service with no results!

During the program I ended up with 6 violations that they didn’t seem to care about. I had to have my car towed, 4-5 handsets replaced, and the box on the car replaced 2 times with many days of downtime where I had to find a ride to work. If I wouldn’t have been persistent and received help from my case worker at MDOT I think I would have had the device forever. I have been in customer service myself for over 30 years so I do know how customers should be treated. This is by far the WORSE customer service I have ever dealt with in my entire life!!!!

Original review: March 23, 2019

Guardian Interlock is simply punishment on top of punishment. Simply believe it is all a money making scam by RMV'S. 4 handsets, one complete rewire, random failures, aborts, and lockouts. Days off from work for "resets"... Stranded numerous times... List goes on and on. It's time we customers open a class action lawsuit versus Guardian Interlock.

Guardian Interlock Company Information