GMC Acadia
1.46/5
Based on 217 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

GMC Acadia

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Feb. 4, 2018

220 GMC Acadia Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Feb. 4, 2018

In 2015 I bought a 2009 at 81000 miles. Since I have purchased it we have replaced the rear shocks, timing chain, coils, wheel bearings, power window motors and the sunroof drain tube was leaking into the blower assembly. It has been an absolute nightmare. The power mirrors have now quit working, the DVD player on the driver's seat only works half the time and my current check engine light is due to a bad catalytic converter. I've had this car 15 months. I parked it for 4 because I couldn't afford to fix it at one point. It's the only car I have a payment on. I bought it with no warranty from a reputable car dealership close to me in Fishers Indiana. DON'T BUY THIS CAR. I'm trading it in next week.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2018

I unfortunately own 2 GMC Acadia's a 2009 and a 2011. I bought them in the same year due to our old vehicles breaking down. I wish I had the old rusty vehicles back. I work on these 2 vehicles constantly. On the 2009 Acadia I have replaced the transmission, water pump, throttle body, radio amplifier, hood support, steering rack inner and outer tie rods, sway bars, strut assemblies, spark plugs, gas cap, and the list goes on. It is sitting in the driveway now since it has a jerking power issue when we dropped the kids off at school this morning. The 2011 has not been as bad yet but has also had a new water pump, and I cannot get the steering wheel to stop vibrating when driving on the expressway even after getting the wheels balanced rotated and anything else I could think of.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Jan. 18, 2018

Terrible terrible terrible - Water Pump, Transmission, Power Steering, Front End. All this before 60K miles but a month after the 5 yr mark!!! And now at 70K miles and almost all the same items AGAIN with the addition of electrical issues, motor surges, terrible propane/natural gas smell in cabin (enough to make you vomit). Call GMC. No help! Advice take it to a certified service location - so they can take your money over and over and over again.

Yes they are willing to help. Yes they are willing to say they can fix anything. Helpful is fixing an issue and it staying fixed. Helpful is changing the water pump at 59k miles and not being told we want another $2500 to fix the power steering. I will NEVER purchase another GM product. It's a money pit! The local dealership is so friendly but they are stuck trying to fix a product with no hope. 4 Ford vehicles and over 1 Million miles driven with basic maintenance and one transmission and I cannot even get this 2012 GMC Acadia SLT to drive 75k Miles!!!

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

For the past 3 months my check engine light continues to come on. I have had a complete tune up, with all spark plugs being replaced, air filters replaced, etc. Always keep levels checked and changed when needed. No real problems with the vehicle (2011 GMC Acadia) until now. Check engine light comes on repeatedly, even after work is completed. I have taken this vehicle to 3 shops for a diagnostic check. Only two had the same diagnostic results. Mostly timing chain issues, possible stretched. I don't understand why this is happening at this point. Has there been any recalls regarding this matter. I haven't seen or heard of any recall.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2018

We bought a 2011 Acadia with 78k miles on it. I've been a GM fan my entire life and trusted the name. It seemed like a great vehicle at first. We had some minor issues here and there but nothing too bad. My first aggravations were with the engineering of the vehicle. Changing the oil is a pain and the headlight bulbs are a nightmare. The air system decided to only blow hot air on the driver side, possible deflector failure. Good times for the summer. One day the engine started knocking.

Immediately we parked it and towed it to our local shop. They started it to listen to it and the engine locked up. 6 months out of warranty (90k miles on it, but over 5 years) and GMC said "well you're the second owner so we can't help you". 7k to put a new engine in. I'm nearly 30k into the vehicle and max trade in is about 10,500 from a GM dealer. With the original engine and the new GM engine we average about 13-14 mpg getting 16 highway. My 04 Silverado gets 17. I'll never, ever buy a GM product again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about General Motors?

Original review: Jan. 6, 2018

While parking at a store, My wife had her foot on the brake approaching the parking space, when the gas pedal suddenly went to the floor (full throttle). She tried to stop by applying more pressure on the brakes. This did not stop the car (2007 GMC Acadia), She also tried pulling up on the throttle with my foot, couldn’t get it to come up. She finally stopped when the car hit the Walmart store outer wall. My daughter was in the car with her at the time and witnessed the entire incident just as described above. This was a $5200. Crash, as well as her first collision counting against my record in 45 Years of driving. Has anyone else had this happen to them, GMC needs to check these vehicles out for this problem and get them fixed before some get hurt or dies.

Original review: Dec. 20, 2017

I purchased a used 2008 GMC Acadia in May 2017. Ever since I purchased this vehicle I have had nothing but problems. I purchased this vehicle because my daughter is a senior in high school and I knew that we would be needing it to travel from state to state for college tours. Ever since I purchased we have not been able to travel because of the continuous light to come on, continuous codes that comes on and it causes the car to run horribly. I am spending $20-$30 a day on gas and I'm also noticing that the oil is just evaporating but I'm not seeing it on the ground. I continue to take it to the mechanic. He continue to fix things that the codes gives him. I'm still spending money and I'm still not getting any results.

I have not been able to travel in this vehicle because I refuse to get on the highway with my child and breakdown in the middle of nowhere. What we need to do is start a petition with GMC because if everyone is having these problems then it is a serious problem. I am to the point where I am ready to start a lawsuit. I mean let's be honest. What are we waiting for. Either us or one of our loved ones to die and is known death trap. There are so many recalls on this vehicle that all of them should be just called in and repaired. Apparently it's a problem with GMC assembling the vehicle and they do not want to own up to their responsibilities and it's not fair to us that our lives are at stake. I'm also tired of the ongoing altercations with the mechanic and my money that I keep on spending.

Original review: Sept. 15, 2017

Purchased a 2013 Acadia Denali, not even a year ago. Suddenly, dealing with major oil consumption. Within 100 miles been down 2-3 quarts low. Been in and out of a dealership 3 times now (still under power terrain warranty). Dealer tops oil off and runs it around, says it's fine. This is only happening to me according to them. People, I can't stress enough, these cars have been a headache since 2007, and even years later they're still seeing more time than needed at a dealership. We have done nothing but baby this vehicle since we owned it at 60k. Now has 80k. 20k miles for this thing to start failing? GMC has been NO HELP. They keep directing me to a dealer. Dealer is either overfilling it and letting the overfill burn off or is dumping some sort of miracle job into the motor to get it to quit. Run far away from these vehicles. They'll do nothing but give headaches and drain your bank account.

Original review: Sept. 8, 2017

With so many choices out here in SUV's I shopped for a long time and decided on the 2014 GMC Acadia SLE 2 for many reasons. I began noticing them in 2008 and everyone I spoke with about them seemed very pleased both with their performance and the comfortable ride. It has WI FI and all the whistles and bells but to be honest I don't care a thing about any of that. I care about reliability and efficiency. For a big heavy SUV it gets 27 MPG Highway if you're not a lead foot, and it is truly my dream car. It also has the towing package and can pull a 2 horse trailer loaded, or big boat etc.

I purchased it in Dec. 2015 from Eagle Buick GMC in Homosassa, Florida. In the past I've owned Jeep Cherokees, Nissans and Toyotas. But I just didn't get the comfortable ride or performance this Acadia offers. I also have to be honest. I was disappointed in the 2017 model. GMC has reduced it to be honest to a smaller version and not the ride the 2016's back to 2008 have. The new one looks more like an old souped up GMC Jimmy than an Acadia.

Original review: Sept. 5, 2017

My new Acadia has been torn apart at the dealership now for weeks. Bought my 2017 Acadia SLT in May. Loved the drive such a great & comfortable SUV. Then the spotting started. I had been noticing the vehicle leaving spots on my driveway. I really was trying to convince myself that it was just A/C water. Took my new baby in to find out what was leaking. The technician showed me. He said, "I really thought I was just going to tell you it was moisture from the A/C". Instead what he had was a large puddle of fluid & a bad Transmission leak! WTF. This car has 4k miles on it.

Now they have to rip out the transmission? Now that was 2 weeks ago. Today I call and I'm informed that they found the source of the leak. The Torque Converter!!! GMC! My car is brand ** new and now it's going to be in the shop for a few more weeks! I'm trying to be patient... but something needs to be done! I want to give a negative stars. The car while running is great, but it's already broken... and it wasn't even the best deal out there!!!

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

Love the SUV however, it has fallen apart mechanically from the water pump to the Transmission and everything in-between. Many of the problems were known by GMC so they came up on recall except for the transmission which I fought them for and got a free one. Steering, brake system, cooling system, wiring harness, front and rear air, sound system, etc... If my wife wasn't such a fan of how it drives and sits up so she feels safe I would have dumped it.

Original review: July 26, 2017

I bought my 2013 GMC Acadia new. I had warranty. I maintenance it including the transmission. I have had rear A/C replaced, fuel pump on engine, 4 fuel pumps on the gas tank, accelerator sensor/pedal, the paint rubbed off. This week without warning while driving 65 mph my transmission failed. I heard a clunk and my vehicle died. I made it off the road. It started and would not stay in 3rd gear. Took to dealership and they said they would see what they could do for me. It is dead (catastrophic failure) and out of warranty. I have made 4 years of payments ($700) and have 2-1/2 years of payments left. It is basically sitting in my driveway unusable. Can't get to my new job, can't take my terminally ill son to the doctors, etc. I'm biting my nails as to what they will offer me.

Original review: July 18, 2017

I purchased a 2011 GMC Acadia with 25,000 miles. I never missed an oil change and updated within 3 years of purchase. The gas pedal became very stiff, causing the car to quickly accelerate. Need to be replaced. The fuel sensor broke and needed to be replaced. The driver side air modulators broke causing hot air to blow. Needed to be replaced. The driver side window control panel broke and needed to be replaced. The hood support rod broke. The radiator broke and needed to be replaced. The radio broke and need to be replaced. The air conditioning blows hot and needs to be replaced. The engine mounts all broke and needed to be replaced. The engine is now dying and was recommended by my mechanic to get rid of the car. He says I need a new engine. I still have a $7000 balance left on the car and it is worthless.

Original review: June 11, 2017

We bought a used 2010 Acadia with 30,000 miles. Engine had to be replaced when we had it 3 months, fortunately still on manufacture warranty. Then recall notice after we paid $200 to repair electronic system. Windshield wipers failed and had to be repaired. Now air conditioner needs to be replaced. Stay FAR, FAR away from ACADIA's. Don't purchase. Money Pit!!!

Original review: June 7, 2017

I never paid attention to my expense on fixing the GMC Acadia 2009 since I bought it brand new. This car has been a pain in my rear end. Since I bought the car, I have changed the timing belt, put a new transmission, and two years ago, the engine stopped. The vehicle was towed to a GM dealership for repair. The mechanic told my wife that the engine is full of sludge and needed to be replaced. He also told my wife that the reason the vehicle was in a bad shape was because we never took care of the vehicle.

My wife called me and explained what the GM service agent told her. I called the guy and had him pull the service record on the vehicle which was under my name. It was then that the service guy realized that since we bought the vehicle, they had been servicing the vehicle for us. I reminded him that whatever was wrong with the car was caused by them since they have been the maintenance personnel from jump street. He then fixed the vehicle and that cost us about 2000 dollars instead of 5000 dollars and change that they quoted my wife.

Now the vehicle had check engine check light come on. We took the vehicle to the mechanic to figure out why the light came on. After their diagnoses, he told us that they had to change the Ignition coil, spark plugs, Intake gasket kit e.t.c. This whole thing cost me $1,999.51. Before I picked up the vehicle, the low oil pressure light came on. They checked the oil and it was full. They drained it, flushed the lines and storage place for the oil two times and after driving the vehicle for a quarter of a mile, the low oil pressure light came back on. They finally told me that it was a sludge problem.

I called GMC and reported the problem for them to tell me to take it to the same GM group that told me two years ago to change the engine for a new engine. The kicker is that now that I've paid off the note on the car, with a new engine it would have another 100,000 mile warranty. And it would cost me $7500.00 dollars to do that. GM knows what they are doing and they take our money and take us for a fool. I wish someone could advise on how to take this people to court and make them pay for their wickedness. We cannot continue to pay for junk.

Original review: May 9, 2017

I've just purchased this 2007 Arcadia four months ago. Was excited at first, but now really disappointed. Audio system isn't good at all, goes on and off. Now it been out for a month. All these reviews I been reading, people have the same issue and GMC not trying to make it right. Thinking about trading it already and not purchase anymore GMC. Because it's sad the money they made off people and don't make an attempt to make it right.

Original review: April 28, 2017

My 2012 GMC Acadia, 45000 miles, 20 days under the 5 year warranty and the fuel rail fails. $1700 to repair and GMC said it that part is not under warranty. However, the fuel pump is, but not the rail to get the fuel to the engine. Ever hear of anything so stupid? Will carefully consider another make and model on my next purchase after that sting.

Original review: April 26, 2017

Spent $50k on this new vehicle (2017 GMC Acadia Denali AWD) and it has been a total disaster from day 1 - From rattles and squeaks in dash, seats, and lift gate to the biggest issue, vehicle shudders at constant speeds! (GOOGLE GMC #PIP5488). We ended up finding this out at our 5th service, but at the 4th service, our entire drivetrain was torn apart to have the torque converter clutch replaced - Which didn't solve our problem. We just got word today that GMC is not willing to offer us a buyback, rather we were told we had to wait for a fix! Dealership says it could be 2 years! WHAT! Spend $50k, suffer for 4 months, no fix, no timetable, and no support! GMC, see you in court! Would've given this 0 stars.

Original review: April 19, 2017

Only 38000 miles (2013 GMC ACADIA SLT) and rear AC evaporator and blower failed. Dealer wants $1300 and GM will not acknowledge this problem and do a recall. Not buying another GM again. This is a common problem.

Original review: March 14, 2017

I have had this 2009 Acadia car into the dealer many time for many recalls. One got it back and it left me on the side of the road. Now it has a bad timing chain. And the dealer tells me I was low on oil, sends me home. Light back on and timing is the problem. They will not fix it said it's the motor. I bought a extended warranty that covers this. GMC GM still will not fix it. I am a mother of 3 and this is got to be the lowest thing a car company can not stand by.

Original review: March 7, 2017

I purchased my 2009 GMC Acadia from the dealer 15 mos ago. There was no problems until my headlights started flickering. I carried to the dealership to find out my HID lights have melted the casing so I had to get a headlight assembly that which cost $1373.04. They said that it was not covered under the warranty. It should've been electrical. Why? It's HID lights get hot enough to melt the casing. There should be a recall on those.

Original review: March 1, 2017

I purchased my 2007 GMC Acadia brand New. A week after owning it, the liftgate shocks went bad, it hit me in the head putting groceries away. I NOTICED a popping sound coming from the steering, as I'd turn, took it in, according to them it's fine... 3 weeks, I was just driving and it completely shut down no warning, I had to put it into park, restart it. Took it in, ran a diagnosis and nothing. December 2008, winter I was driving the car, the gas pedal went to the floor again, no warning, almost wrecked into a pole.

I've had continuous issues with my SUV, with the warranty, even worse now that I paid it off, repairs are more than anything else. Approximately 4000.00 in repairs now. I feel I should get a replacement being that this SUV only has 47,000 miles on it!!! Currently it's in the shop, for the throttle body, last month I formed out $900.00 for brakes! Paid $125 For evap. valve. I'm sick of this unsafe cartel or junk. I don't even take my child around in it because it's not safe!

Original review: Jan. 30, 2017

I just purchased a 2008 Acadia this month and since having this vehicle we noticed it powers down while driving and the windshield wiper guild doesn't come out at all!!! This is very disappointing and dangerous my family.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2017

Bought a used 2010 GMC Acadia from sister-in-law Feb 2015. It had 113000 miles. I've only put 6,000 on it in a year because I'm scared to go anywhere. I know for a fact she took care of it and had all paperwork for maintenance. Shortly after getting the car, the power steering completely failed almost causing a wreck. I had to replace the entire steering system which cost me $2k. The check engine light was on and I thought it was a tune-up, but it registered timing chain and camshaft. Big Bucks. I'm cutting my losses and getting rid of this piece of crap. That was my first and last GMC.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2017

My 2013 Acadia has had both Cadillac converters changed. Also I'm currently having problems with radio not working, flashers not sounding, seat belts not making a sound when they're not connected, signals not making a sound when they're flicking, the radio won't play CDs, won't do anything. It shows up stations but you can't hear anything on. It will pop off and on every now and then so I just don't know what's wrong with this car.

It is scary because the cost is astronomical to repair if this is electrical problems. Also the car had problems with it. Was water running from somewhere onto my feet after a rain, which I know there were other people who complained of this as well. There's no recall for it but other comments states that it has cause some damage to the electrical wiring. I read this in other reviews, I can not afford this cost, Acadia 2013 owners. But of course with all this going on there's no recalls on any of the issues that I have with this vehicle. How frustrating!!!

Original review: Jan. 14, 2017

Generally I am very satisfied. However, I noticed that even in or after a light rain there is slippage in the front tires (front wheel drive). It also does not handle well in any snow. Very disappointed in this problem. Scares me to drive in any weather.

Original review: Jan. 10, 2017

This is our second ownership of a GMC Acadia since it was rolled out in 2007. As a family member of a former GM Employee, we purchased a 2007 GMC Acadia under the GM Employee program. That vehicle was plagued with problems. DVD player issues, fuel injectors, radiator, engine coils, trim rattles, the list goes on. The problems were so bad that the car was being taken to the dealership monthly and in some cases weekly. In 2009, we reached out to GMC at the advice of our service manager. GMC offered us 3 free oil changes for our troubles. Hardly a repayment for all the problems we had with the vehicle. To make a long story short, I contacted the BBB, filed a complaint and GM purchased the vehicle back as a Lemon.

In 2009, using the refund from the buyback through the GM employee program, we purchased another GMC Acadia. This time the current 2009. We were told by the dealership that all of the issues that plagued the initial roll out had been fixed. This is certainly not the case. Again, we have had the same problems with the car being in and out of the dealership on monthly and sometimes weekly basis. Fortunately, they have all been covered under warranty until this most recent wave of problems.

Several of these issues have put my family and me in great danger. Very early on in the car, when the fuel injectors broke, we were traveling home from vacation when the vehicle powered down on its own (to protect the engine) in the middle of a very busy freeway, I could not pull it over. We were stuck with semi-trucks racing past and my children crying in the back seat. All I could do was pray we didn't get smashed from behind while we wait for a tow truck. Another time is when the wave plate exploded in the transmission. I was driving my newborn baby home from the hospital! My wife, fresh out of a C-section, and my 5 day old newborn are stuck on a freeway because the transmission broke (which GM knew about because they issued a Special Warranty for its repair.)

For the past month, my car has been at the dealership, due to catalytic converters that are clogged and needing to be replaced, then the timing chain needs to be replaced (which GM issues a special warranty to cover the cost) and now I am being told that the oil pump, pickup tube, and oil screen is filled with sludge and will cost me $1,600 to replace. I change my oil every 3,000 to 4,000 miles or when the oil gauge on the vehicle says 50% remaining. How on earth is there that much sludge. Turns out, after doing an internet search, that this is a common problem with the Acadia and there are pages and pages of customer complaints saying the exact same thing! All of which GM denies.

GM knows the Acadia is bad. My service rep says he has never seen a vehicle with so many special warranty items issued on the car. My car needs to be purchased back as it is unsafe and unreliable and GM says they will give me $2,000. Sad considering I have given them 2 chances now. GM will not stand behind their products or do the right thing. They have forever lost a customer.

Original review: Jan. 7, 2017

My 09 Acadia has had so many problems - I wish I never bought it. The timing chain has been replaced THREE times! Once at 26k miles, once at 83k miles and now again at 111k miles. In addition to that...there have been so many other issues (tranny has been taken apart and rebuilt twice). GMC offers coverage up to 120k miles on the chain, but I wasn't aware of that when I took it to my shop. Now they won't even help cover any of the costs when I provide full, detailed, back up. I love the car when it's running, but I'd suggest to stay away from Acadia. They're really garbage.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2016

I bought a used 201 Acadia last February 2016. I had it a month and I started noticing the "Service StabiliTrak" light coming on. Not only did it come on it reduced my engine power. I took it back from where I bought it and the service department claimed it was some sensor. All was good. About three months after that I had to replace the engine mounts. Now it is almost a year later and the "StabiliTrak" system is out of control. This time I take it to auto shop and the service tech said it was the battery (which was dying anyway). So I replaced the battery and I had to get the heat fixed too because of some actuator thingy. So I am happy to get my car back the next day.

I had to drive an hour from home to work on that Monday and as soon as I made it to parking garage it started again with "Service StabiliTrak". SO when I get off 9 hours later I am thinking I can just disengage the system but I could not figure it out. I drove home with hazard lights and prayed it would make it to certified GMC dealership for service. Two days later they say it was the throttle body so I hope when I pick up my vehicle today the issue is resolved.

Original review: Dec. 7, 2016

I've been having several issues with this vehicle. 2nd injector gone bad in less than 90k miles. It seems to be a known issue with vehicle but they refuse to take responsibility for it. Dealership deals with this same issue with multiple customers with no assistance or acknowledgement at all from manufacturer. Reached out to GM and received no assistance at all.

GMC Acadia Company Information

General Motors
www.gm.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Inc. 5000 Award

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use