GMC Acadia

Compare Car Models

Research top Car Models recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have had this 2009 Acadia car into the dealer many time for many recalls. One got it back and it left me on the side of the road. Now it has a bad timing chain. And the dealer tells me I was low on oil, sends me home. Light back on and timing is the problem. They will not fix it said it's the motor. I bought a extended warranty that covers this. GMC GM still will not fix it. I am a mother of 3 and this is got to be the lowest thing a car company can not stand by.

I purchased my 2009 GMC Acadia from the dealer 15 mos ago. There was no problems until my headlights started flickering. I carried to the dealership to find out my HID lights have melted the casing so I had to get a headlight assembly that which cost $1373.04. They said that it was not covered under the warranty. It should've been electrical. Why? It's HID lights get hot enough to melt the casing. There should be a recall on those.

I purchased my 2007 GMC Acadia brand New. A week after owning it, the liftgate shocks went bad, it hit me in the head putting groceries away. I NOTICED a popping sound coming from the steering, as I'd turn, took it in, according to them it's fine... 3 weeks, I was just driving and it completely shut down no warning, I had to put it into park, restart it. Took it in, ran a diagnosis and nothing. December 2008, winter I was driving the car, the gas pedal went to the floor again, no warning, almost wrecked into a pole.

I've had continuous issues with my SUV, with the warranty, even worse now that I paid it off, repairs are more than anything else. Approximately 4000.00 in repairs now. I feel I should get a replacement being that this SUV only has 47,000 miles on it!!! Currently it's in the shop, for the throttle body, last month I formed out $900.00 for brakes! Paid $125 For evap. valve. I'm sick of this unsafe cartel or junk. I don't even take my child around in it because it's not safe!

I just purchased a 2008 Acadia this month and since having this vehicle we noticed it powers down while driving and the windshield wiper guild doesn't come out at all!!! This is very disappointing and dangerous my family.

Bought a used 2010 GMC Acadia from sister-in-law Feb 2015. It had 113000 miles. I've only put 6,000 on it in a year because I'm scared to go anywhere. I know for a fact she took care of it and had all paperwork for maintenance. Shortly after getting the car, the power steering completely failed almost causing a wreck. I had to replace the entire steering system which cost me $2k. The check engine light was on and I thought it was a tune-up, but it registered timing chain and camshaft. Big Bucks. I'm cutting my losses and getting rid of this piece of crap. That was my first and last GMC.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about General Motors?

My 2013 Acadia has had both Cadillac converters changed. Also I'm currently having problems with radio not working, flashers not sounding, seat belts not making a sound when they're not connected, signals not making a sound when they're flicking, the radio won't play CDs, won't do anything. It shows up stations but you can't hear anything on. It will pop off and on every now and then so I just don't know what's wrong with this car.

It is scary because the cost is astronomical to repair if this is electrical problems. Also the car had problems with it. Was water running from somewhere onto my feet after a rain, which I know there were other people who complained of this as well. There's no recall for it but other comments states that it has cause some damage to the electrical wiring. I read this in other reviews, I can not afford this cost, Acadia 2013 owners. But of course with all this going on there's no recalls on any of the issues that I have with this vehicle. How frustrating!!!

Generally I am very satisfied. However, I noticed that even in or after a light rain there is slippage in the front tires (front wheel drive). It also does not handle well in any snow. Very disappointed in this problem. Scares me to drive in any weather.

This is our second ownership of a GMC Acadia since it was rolled out in 2007. As a family member of a former GM Employee, we purchased a 2007 GMC Acadia under the GM Employee program. That vehicle was plagued with problems. DVD player issues, fuel injectors, radiator, engine coils, trim rattles, the list goes on. The problems were so bad that the car was being taken to the dealership monthly and in some cases weekly. In 2009, we reached out to GMC at the advice of our service manager. GMC offered us 3 free oil changes for our troubles. Hardly a repayment for all the problems we had with the vehicle. To make a long story short, I contacted the BBB, filed a complaint and GM purchased the vehicle back as a Lemon.

In 2009, using the refund from the buyback through the GM employee program, we purchased another GMC Acadia. This time the current 2009. We were told by the dealership that all of the issues that plagued the initial roll out had been fixed. This is certainly not the case. Again, we have had the same problems with the car being in and out of the dealership on monthly and sometimes weekly basis. Fortunately, they have all been covered under warranty until this most recent wave of problems.

Several of these issues have put my family and me in great danger. Very early on in the car, when the fuel injectors broke, we were traveling home from vacation when the vehicle powered down on its own (to protect the engine) in the middle of a very busy freeway, I could not pull it over. We were stuck with semi-trucks racing past and my children crying in the back seat. All I could do was pray we didn't get smashed from behind while we wait for a tow truck. Another time is when the wave plate exploded in the transmission. I was driving my newborn baby home from the hospital! My wife, fresh out of a C-section, and my 5 day old newborn are stuck on a freeway because the transmission broke (which GM knew about because they issued a Special Warranty for its repair.)

For the past month, my car has been at the dealership, due to catalytic converters that are clogged and needing to be replaced, then the timing chain needs to be replaced (which GM issues a special warranty to cover the cost) and now I am being told that the oil pump, pickup tube, and oil screen is filled with sludge and will cost me $1,600 to replace. I change my oil every 3,000 to 4,000 miles or when the oil gauge on the vehicle says 50% remaining. How on earth is there that much sludge. Turns out, after doing an internet search, that this is a common problem with the Acadia and there are pages and pages of customer complaints saying the exact same thing! All of which GM denies.

GM knows the Acadia is bad. My service rep says he has never seen a vehicle with so many special warranty items issued on the car. My car needs to be purchased back as it is unsafe and unreliable and GM says they will give me $2,000. Sad considering I have given them 2 chances now. GM will not stand behind their products or do the right thing. They have forever lost a customer.

My 09 Acadia has had so many problems - I wish I never bought it. The timing chain has been replaced THREE times! Once at 26k miles, once at 83k miles and now again at 111k miles. In addition to that...there have been so many other issues (tranny has been taken apart and rebuilt twice). GMC offers coverage up to 120k miles on the chain, but I wasn't aware of that when I took it to my shop. Now they won't even help cover any of the costs when I provide full, detailed, back up. I love the car when it's running, but I'd suggest to stay away from Acadia. They're really garbage.

I bought a used 201 Acadia last February 2016. I had it a month and I started noticing the "Service StabiliTrak" light coming on. Not only did it come on it reduced my engine power. I took it back from where I bought it and the service department claimed it was some sensor. All was good. About three months after that I had to replace the engine mounts. Now it is almost a year later and the "StabiliTrak" system is out of control. This time I take it to auto shop and the service tech said it was the battery (which was dying anyway). So I replaced the battery and I had to get the heat fixed too because of some actuator thingy. So I am happy to get my car back the next day.

I had to drive an hour from home to work on that Monday and as soon as I made it to parking garage it started again with "Service StabiliTrak". SO when I get off 9 hours later I am thinking I can just disengage the system but I could not figure it out. I drove home with hazard lights and prayed it would make it to certified GMC dealership for service. Two days later they say it was the throttle body so I hope when I pick up my vehicle today the issue is resolved.

I've been having several issues with this vehicle. 2nd injector gone bad in less than 90k miles. It seems to be a known issue with vehicle but they refuse to take responsibility for it. Dealership deals with this same issue with multiple customers with no assistance or acknowledgement at all from manufacturer. Reached out to GM and received no assistance at all.

Bought 2011 GMC Acadia in July of 2010 for my wife. Check engine light came on at 35,000 miles. Dealer says needs timing chains and guides replaced. Going to cost 2,900 dollars. Will cost me 55 percent and GM will pay 45 percent. This should never happen at this mileage. GM knows they have a problem with this motor seeing they have a revised chain and guides. Don’t understand why there is not a recall or class action lawsuit for this problem seeing when you Google this problem you see it is very prevalent. Will not be buying any more gm vehicles anymore. And you should think twice before you buy one.

I owned a 2011 GMC Acadia for almost 5 years now with a 23500 miles on it, hardly used it due to my line of work which is always away from home. Multiple recall been corrected in which I think it's ridiculous at first place, but I said, no worries, it's being corrected in a way, that's good! Last week I went to San Diego to visit a friend with my family, driving there with no issue. When we head back home en-route to 101 freeway, it was drizzling a little bit that time, suddenly it chimed 3 or 4 times and wondering what's wrong, my instrument panel indicated stability track light on, reduce engine power and applied brakes, felt like I was drifting a little bit from a different lane, and loss engine power, kind a bit worry, but managed to pulled into the shoulder lane. As per the troubleshooting, turn off engine and wait for 15 seconds and start engine, nice! Stability light off with no issue except engine light on now.

Managed to drive again for an hour just to head back home. Brought my Acadia to GMC service department to see what's wrong with the engine. It put out a fault code of P0700 and P182E pertaining to manual shift lever inside transmission shortening out. For 23500 miles I wouldn't expect that, and my warranty just expired last July, it cost me $1200 for that issue. Now, I'm heading to Texas driving my Acadia, makes me wonder what discrepancy will my Acadia will call out.

It is a shame that a less than 5 years old Acadia 2012 with less than 50,000 miles feels like a run-down vintage! Central Lock malfunction second day I purchased the brand new car (1st day after purchase, at 5 miles!!!) CV damaged (first year). Middle Seat Closure mechanism broken first six months. Engine mounts are broken (after three years). Air distributor is broken (after four years). Engine bracket is broken (after four years). To add insult the injury the dealer is incompetent, promotes an extended warranty that doesn't extend to anything, and only finds out problems after the expiration of the warranty. It is either GM sells "Lemons" or off-spec vehicles in Saudi Arabia, or the Saudi Specs are designed for junk cars. Either way, never again. I have advised five of my friends and family members interested in GM cars against buying them.

We own a 2010 GMC top of the line Acadia with only 45000km on it, it's two owner car (87 year old man gave to his daughter). It's never towed anything and has had regular maintenance. I was taking the Acadia on Oct 22/16 over to my mechanic's to have him check the urgency of repair needed for the power steering seals (they are bleeding which seems to be a very common problem for the Acadia). Upon driving the mere 4 miles to his business the vehicle started accelerating on its own. On a level surface it was actually increasing speed and required constant braking to maintain speed. Upon putting the car in park it was revving high.

My mechanic tried connecting to the computer which gave no error message, disconnected the throttle body to confirm there was no debris or anything to cause spontaneous acceleration. He also disconnected the battery and reset the vehicle's computer which had no effect. I submitted an online ticket to GM Canada on Oct 23/16 to bring to the company's attention the issue. I've been contacted twice by phone to give the VIN number (provided to them on the online ticket Oct 23, left a voice mail to the case worker Oct 26 and again to a customer service rep Nov 3).

My mechanic has identified the issue as being the throttle pedal sensor and seems to have successfully fixed the glitch however has warned me that since it has gone at such low mileage is highly likely to fail again. I'm concerned to take it for long distance trips as this is the third issue that's occurred with this vehicle and is likely to happen again. To date we've had to fix the front sprayer for the windshield and we have the expensive fix for the power steering rack and pistons upcoming. I'm severely disappointed that a car with such low mileage has such issues and am worried what future issues are upcoming. That said my mother enjoys how it handles and is everything she wants with a SUV. I just wish it had less problems.

I purchased a 2015 GMC Acadia in September 2014. The steering wheel shakes terribly. I've brought it to the dealer several times. At first they said the tires had flat spots and would correct itself. Then they did a "special" wheel alignment on it. 40,000 miles later and having brought it to other shops (shops specializing in tires) I am still having the issue. In March 2015 (6 months after purchase) I had to have the brakes, rotors, brake pads, calipers, --everything replaced at a GM dealership in Florida as the rear brakes etc were completely rusted out. They had to use a sledgehammer to get things off. In September 2015, I had to have the same rear brake parts replaced as they had rusted out again!

I used to drive 100,000 miles a year and never had this happen. Now I drive 20,000 and the brakes are rusting out. I've lived in the same area for 60 years, so it's not that I've moved. I love the Acadia - but with the shaking steering wheel and the brakes rusting out, I wouldn't recommend buying it. Also the XM radio goofs up (not a big deal but it does happen) and they installed their WIFI in the Acadia and it shows there's a signal, but you can't use the WIFI.

I purchased a new 2012 gmc acadia, in September 2012. Right the first months I had to take it back for 2 issues noticed then: sound/noise heard during cold start and both of the rear interior panels were scuffed. After phone calls and many attempts, these issues were in a way "fixed" but had to lower my standards. Then, right my very first year of use, the major issues began. The AC (first summer is when I noticed) did not work properly, I live in Vegas with triple digit temperatures during summer, and the ac did not work. Also, the motor started to leak oil. These are the major 2 issues I have had since my first year of owning this LEMON! every year, I have to take it in for the same issues.

Just recently called GMC and asked them if they were going to stand behind their product, that they have evidence this vehicle is a LEMON, same issues for the last 4 years in a row now. To not surprise, they are not. They treated me like an idiot, and of course to no surprise, there is nothing they can do for me. Except, oh yeah, they can "HELP" me with a TRADE!!! It has been weeks waiting for them to call me with a "status" on my complaint with GMC, and then they had the nerve to call me and advised me of this. This is worse than an insult.

Please, do NOT buy ANY GMC, vehicles are expensive as if you're getting the best quality but they are robbing people's money, please be smart, think what you are buying, do your homework. You can see thousand of complaints just like mine, GMC does not manufacture/sell reliable products/vehicles. They just sell to make money without thinking of what they are selling. Just thinking of sales/numbers for themselves. While we are here making a complaint or reading about it, CEO's are in a gateway with our monies!!! Any advise would be helpful, if you've been in a situation like mine, please tell me how did you handle the outcome. Or if we all together can do something to stop these big companies STEALING our money and making us go through all of these things and inconveniences!! ENOUGH!!! THANK you.

2010 GMC Acadia. I bought this car December 2015. Start good after that I have to spend every other week by a mechanic and everything with something I have to install and lots of repair. Just name it. Transmission, most of the control arms, ball joint, power steering rack and pinion. Just lemon. Will never buy any GMC anymore.

I purchased a 2010 GMC Acadia 2 years ago. I was driving on the Bear Mountain Parkway when my car just lost power. I had my car tow to an auto repair when they indicated that my engine blew. I had oil in my car. My warranty was done. Now I'm stuck with a big car note and a Lemon car. I called GMC. They won't stand by their product. Stay away from buying an Arcadia. Read all the reviews before. My mistake was not to read the reviews and to buy an American car. DON'T DO IT!!!

Purchased a used with 50000 miles 2009 Acadia. All routine PM completed on Acadia. First problem occurred at 75000 miles. Transmission began to slip, felt like engine missing, then reverse went out, heard a pop. There is a plate in there that snapped. GMC replaced the Tranny. Happy for that. Second problem 76000 miles, O2 sensors changed, 102$ each. Next the converters failed. Replaced the front and I gutted the rear one. Engine light stayed on but ran fine a little rich. Converters are 450-560$. Next problem the passenger door window not working fixed myself. Next problem the rear hatch collapsed on my wife's back and her back is broken due to this. Next problem, the power steering pump went out, it would work fine then stop all of a sudden. My wife and I were constantly avoiding wrecks due to this.

Take the Acadia to dealer for recall. They tell me they need to see if the number on the pump is the recalled one. I'm like, "Well it's bad so... must be..." A week later... The service guy tells me, "Well your strut is out, your motor mounts are bad, and your rack and pinion need to be replaced. It's leaking oil." They had Acadia for a week and still did not look at the pump. I take it home, replace the rack and pinion and both struts, the motor mounts were not bad at all. I take it back to the dealer and tell him, "Ok, here. Check to see if the pump is the recall one." He calls me two days later says to me, "Until you replace the rack and pinion we can't check the pump." I blow my fuse, tell him not very nicely the parts I replaced. I take Acadia home then order a pump on eBay 150$. Change it myself in a hour.

CURRENT problem, fill up with gas Acadia dies in the middle of my left turn in traffic. Get help tow it home. I checked fuel pressure it was low so I changed the fuel pump myself 150$, and put brand new plugs in it. Before I send to dealer I had friend who is a mechanic put code computer on it, throws 6 codes over and over. I research web, says code related to timing chain stretched. I send to dealer telling them the codes. They call me next day say, "Your plugs are black, burnt up." I say, "That is brand new plugs. Never ran with them. How can they be burnt up?" Then he says, "I'll put factory set in and try again". Calls me back says, "Well I have real bad news, we ran a oil analysis on the Acadia and you have signs of metal in your oil." Then tells me the rear converter got sucked into the engine (the one I gutted out) and caused the crank shaft and pistons to fail, and I need a engine.

Also tells me they got the Acadia running but it would not go over 1500 rpm. So I'm like, "Well you just told me the engine was running but not over 1500 rpm, how can the crank shaft and pistons be bad if this is the case?" Far as the oil and metal all oil will have trace of metal at this mileage it's called wear. I am so disgusted with this dealership and GMC in general. I will never buy anything GMC makes again. 37,000$ AND WE DROVE THE CAR FOR ONLY 70,000 MILES.

This is Courtesy GMC in Broussard LA. Do not go there people. Every time this service guy talks to me about my car it is all lies. I don't think they even looked into the converter, if they did they would have seen it was gutted completely. My main gripe is how they jump to these conclusions so fast without getting in there and working on things. It's like they see one thing and stop and blame everything on that one issue which has for me been never the main problem with this Acadia.

After I tow my new acadia awd denali, even for a short distance, the vehicle will back up but won't go forward until I turn it off several time and let it run for a long time, until the fluid lubricates the awd system. Have taken to dealer with no satisfaction. Is anyone else having this same problem?

I got a 2016 gmc acadia in oct 2015. Weeks after I noticed a noise coming from the engine. Took car in Dec 2015 and was told there was a problem with the sln valve faults p05cc, p05cd, p05cf, and p05ce. Dealership replaced all 4 actuators. Contacted gmc and told them that my vehicle is a lemon. Earlier this year started to have same problem informed dealership. Sunday 8/7 coming back from an outing got a ln alert on dashboard engine overheating. Had to pull over. Had vehicle towed to dealership, diagnostics engine is damaged. They had to order a new engine which will take about 2 weeks. Contacted gmc, open case and have not heard back. I just want for them to buy my car back because they sold me a lemon. Brand new car I should not be having these problems.

I bought a 2008 Acadia. The car was pretty. I started having ac problems and transmission problems then I started researching and there is a lot of problems with the transmission and ac with the Acadia. I cannot afford to fix everything. I would never buy a Acadia ever again.

Well I bought my car in November 2015. It was my dream car. Acadia Denali 2011. Fully loaded. Got a great price on it. Had 1600 thousand miles, leather seats, Bose stereo system. Love it so much. It has now 3300 thousand miles on it and I am having so many problems. I got in a accident on April 4, 2016. Was not my fault. They fixed it 20 days later.

Four days later pink fluid was pouring out of the bottom of my car. Took it back to the collision place. They said it was power steering fluid. They looked at it and could not find anything wrong. May 16th 2016 took it back again and they checked hoses and everything that could be leaking. They said, "Take it to the dealership." Well I was looking up things before I took it to the Dealership. They were having problems with the Steering units on Acadias from 2007 to 2011. They have to fix it for free. Of course why would they tell anyone that. Also my coolant is empty. I really do not understand what is going on with my car. Took it today to the Dealership. They cannot find anything but a oil leak. I have no light saying anything is wrong but I need to know if anyone is having this problem. I was told that my coolant is empty. My engine would freeze up correct.

I own 2009 GMC Acadia SLT-1. This is the nicest vehicle I have ever owned so I have strived to take really good care of it. For the last few months, I have been experiencing an issue that seemingly cannot be resolved! When I am driving on the highway and I achieve the speed want to go and let off the gas and the vehicle would "coast", it starts what I refer to as missing. It has not given off any codes and I have had it checked out by two mechanics. The problem is getting worse! Without a code and the lack of anything obvious, it cannot be resolved.

The last time I took it in, the transmission fluid was low, which makes me wonder with all of the posts on transmissions going bad in Acadias, if it could be my transmission. I do not know what to do and am writing this in hopes someone has had similar issues and can share your experience and maybe your end result! HELP!!!

I have a '12 GMC Acadia Denali where the cheap antenna base cracked and came loose in a dealership car wash even though they removed the antenna first. I do not believe it's the dealer's fault but a factory defect or poor design. The service manager said he sees several a week come through with this issue. I tried to work with a GMC Factory rep; no help at all and blames the Stubby antenna that had always been removed before washing. My 4th GMC, but more than likely my last since they don't stand behind their products or dealerships. The dealership will cover 1/2 the cost of repairs, which is almost $500.

Ignition issues. Took car in twice. Only had the car few days after buying it at Cherry Hill Mitsubishi, and have been stuck and stalled at gas stations, in parking lots, etc. If anyone knows issue or resolution - it is GMC Acadia 2014 SLT-1. Disappointing experience all around.

I purchased my GMC Acadia new in February 2008 and have taken excellent care, keeping up with all the required maintenance. In October of 2011, with approximately 50K miles the transmission failed and had to be replaced. My car now has only 84,000 miles, which means, 34K on the new transmission and the car is currently in the service department at the dealership where I purchased it and where the original transmission was replaced, they confirmed that the transmission does need to be fixed or replaced again and I'm expected to pay for it. The original transmission should have lasted at least this long and it's unreasonable to expect that I pay for a third transmission on this car at only 84,000 miles.

I have a 2010 Acadia SLT. I love my car however upon my last visit to the dealership for regular tune up we discovered the car was leaking oil which led to completely taking the car apart. This car was purchased new in 2010 and was $38000.00. It has 65,000 miles on it and we have had very little issues - the recalls. Not too bad. This car is very safe and rides and handles very well after 6 years. I am even considering getting a new Acadia Denali. I do feel like now that the car has over 50,000 miles - little things are going to start going wrong. When I went in for my last tune up the service manager gave me a list of things that my car was due to have done to it. Thankfully my husband is a retired mechanic for Ford and knew that it was all a bunch of crock. A car this expensive with that has been maintained as scheduled should last well over 150,000.00 miles. Not sure if it will.

We bought our 2012 GMC Acadia with excitement and high expectations. We were so wrong, and regretted our decision fairly quickly. Within months, we had numerous recalls, the AC stopped working, the USB port stopped working, and a piece of the rubber on the car windows fell off. Luckily, it was under warranty. After 2 years, we had a total of five recalls.

Within a couple of months of the warranty expiration, the problems got worse. The AC stopped working AGAIN. Same problem, different year. Our front tires suddenly went bad ($550), confusing since the car didn't have many miles. No explanation from the dealer. Now, year three, AC went out AGAIN ($1100 front and rear), front CV joints cracked ($650) which we were told was probably why our tires went bad so fast, fuel injection issues ($240) causing car to stall every time we got gas, power steering fluid hose leaking ($200), and other issues with a total bill of $2900. Mechanic said it was one of the biggest messes he'd ever seen on a car. He said the car was very cheaply put together with plastic parts. I hate this car and completely disappointed that we paid $45000 for a piece of junk.

GMC Acadia Company Profile