Chevy Blazer

Compare Car Models

Research top Car Models recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I have several vehicles and have still own 4 gm products. The trailblazer only has 60,000 + miles, but I have had no real issues. I've towed a 3,500 lb boat hundreds of miles and other trailers numerous times with no issues. I bought this SUV in November 2001 (obviously one of the first in production) and still do have low mileage so my opinion may change over time since the resale is low and I really like this vehicle. I will probably keep it for years. I guess mine isn't a lemon.

At 70,000 miles my Chevy Trailblazer's cluster died! Speedometer and oil gauge either spin out of control or shows nothing when car is running. With all the past recalls for certain Chevy clusters I cannot understand how the blazer was omitted from this recall!!

I have kept my truck for 16 years and just spend $460 on tires and another $500 on other parts. The truck has 115k miles. I like how the truck rides and is quiet, that is true with almost all GM vehicles. The truck/SUV does require a bit of maintenance, ball joints, front end parts, radiator, emission system fan, I could go on and on. Overall it is not that bad to work on, and parts and videos on the web are easy to find. However if you have an older model and pay full price to have it fixed it will cost a lot. The aftermarket parts seem to work OK and you can save quite a bit. I just replace the encoder motor for the 4wd and it cost me 3 hours and $140. The dealer would do it in 1.5 hours and it would cost $900 with $100 diagnostics and a $600 part.

I have a 2007 Chevy trailblazer. Starting from a month after ownership I noticed a kick when my suv shifted from 1st to 2nd gear. I brought it into the dealership and would get turned away multiple times with excuses as to why it would do that. After about 1 1/2 years of bringing it in and them never even checking it out... they finally did and had to replace the transmission.

In year 2 I have had rear differential issues, abs and traction issues as well as other lights on the control panel pop up. My window motors have each been replaced more than 4 times in 6 years, and I have to replace my fan clutch annually (and this time I replaced it in october and it went out again and it's july) as well as burning through oil since 80,000 miles. I am completely pissed off at Chevy's lack of cooperation. I should have gotten rid of this vehicle when the transmission screwed up (which BTW it kicks again!) Now it's worth less than our 2001 saturn ls which is 6 years older and cost way less when we bought it.

There is a recall for the 2006 and 2007 trailblazer with their headlights to just stop working and mine did on may 27 2015 at 10:30 at night. Called national car safety filed a report because chevy whom I called first said it doesn't cover my truck so I have to pay out of pocket even though my truck is doing the same thing that's listed in the recall for my trailblazer and it was made during the recall years.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chevrolet?

For more information about reviews on please visit our FAQ.

When I tried starting my 1995 Blazer it wouldn't start... I turn the key over and won't start, so me and my dad took a screw driver and seen if it was firing and it wasn't. We have changed the spark plugs. If you have any suggestions on what it could be... you can email me.

Transmission issues slipping 4WD went out twice. Rear-end needed complete rebuild. Dual climate control quit working. Rear wiper assembly broke. Starting burning oil at 80,000 miles. I should have never kept it this long. Something constantly needing fixing. Defroster quit working passenger side. Shifter had issues. Not Recommended!

Yes I bought a 2005 trailblazer a few years ago and the transmission just keeps slipping while your going down the road. There have been a lot of reports about the same transmission in a lot of them. I have bought about 4 gm vehicles and I guess this will be the last one I ever get. Thanks gm.

The fuel sending unit inside of the fuel tank is illuminating my check engine light. The fuel gauge reads empty all the time no matter what level is in the tank. This is a huge issue with more vehicles than just the Trailblazers. It's dangerous being you can run out of fuel at any given time because you don't know your avg. m.p.g.. If the engine dies then there goes your steering so what if I'm on the highway or a desolate road in the bitter cold and then I'll have no heat. This is a major issue since the assembly line and needs to go into full recall regardless of mileage or how many years since it was manufactured. I called Christenson Chevrolet in Highland, IN 46322 and they said the only 2 recalls were for the power steering hose and the driver door switch which was already fixed in 2005. Nothing was mentioned at all about the fuel sender relay. The engine light is on and I need plates by Nov 14, today's date is Nov 3, 2014. Now I have to replace the unit on my own and by topping it off every time at the gas station it is going to destroy the emission system especially the charcoal canister unit.

Sole owner 2005 Chevrolet Trailblazer, purchased brand new. Starting at 30,000 miles experienced manufacturer defaults, transmission failure at 50,00 miles. Also oil consumptions problems, replaced differential, & strut. Have to put 4 quarts of oil every 2,000 miles to run. Engine light on now.

I just got this 06 SS. Nothing wrong with it so far. But I did have 2003 Trailblazer. That thing was a money pit, always in the shop for the same; the Reduce Engine Power Light came on the time. I had for 4 years in, was in for at least 9 months. Fixed it one last time and used as a trade in. I'm so happy out of that thing.

2002 Chevy trailblazer - I purchased a truck in February 2013, and I have had nothing but problems from axle to brakes, an H2O sensor, and the final straw is leaking transmission fluid; it cut off on me while driving. I attempted to take it back. He half-fixed it. I also have a witness statement saying he knew the problems when he sold it to me because this person and her boyfriend test drove it, and she is my coworker. We were just talking, didn't know she purchased her car from same place. What a coincidence.

I walked into Brown Chevrolet in July to buy a reliable vehicle. The man was polite. I told him what I could afford on monthly payments and what I wanted to put down on a down payment. He placed me in a 2007 Trailblazer 4x4 stating it was a good vehicle. My payments are where I wanted them to be and I was happy when I left. Two months later, I was down in Tennessee visiting family and my engine blew by the oil cap busting off and oil flying out of the engine. I was told that because I changed my own oil, there was nothing that could be done? Meritrust is my creditor. I tried speaking with them on financing along with others because many places down in Tennessee told me it would be between $4000-$7000 for another engine depending if I were to get a used or new one. I do not have that type of money. I am restarting my life. I needed a reliable vehicle and was taken advantage of all because a woman walked in alone ...

I own 2005 Chevy Trailblazer that I bought 3 years ago and have had nothing but problems with it. I was driving off of Route 287 on the way to my doctor's. When my truck wouldn't drive, I pulled over to see what was wrong. I couldn't find anything, but the truck did start to drive again; a little ways down the road, it started again. Well, after pulling over a couple of times, I got the truck home and took it right to the transmission place to see what the problem was. Well, the next day the transmission owner called me and said that all the fluids mixed together and caused the transmission to go.

The way that the fluids were mixed is because a piece that goes inside the transmission from the radar had rusted inside the transmission and caused the radar fluid and transmission fluid to mix. All I am looking for is to be reimbursed for my cost, which is $2,800, or if there is any way I can get half of it. After putting the new transmission into the truck, I bought a brand new dipstick from the Chevy dealer and I noticed that it’s starting to rust already and it’s not even a couple of weeks old. I bought it from the dealer. I have also called my local dealer and they were very rude and wouldn't help out at all.

After buying my 2005 Trailblazer in 2010, the fuel sensor suddenly stopped and left my fuel tank showing empty all the time. I got a letter from GM saying they would fix the problem since they discovered the problem but only pay half. I am over the 120,000. Of course, we get a letter a long time after the problem started. Most people were over in miles; therefore, most people like myself could not get half paid for it. I am not working, have kids and have had to guess several times if I have gas, besides going to the gas station every other day for fear of running out with kids in car. I will never buy another GM model again.

I am writing to you seeking post-warranty reimbursement considering my 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer LT (beige/tan) which was evaluated at various dealerships for the same repeated concerns. While my vehicle was under you extended warranty contract, it was taken to the same dealership multiple times (Larry Roesch Volkswagen since Larry Roesch Chevrolet closed due to General Motor’s bankruptcy) to no avail. This shop wasn’t able to repair the vehicle or supposedly duplicate the concern. I have done extensive research about my vehicle and information at **, which shows reference to identical concerns that I’ve been experiencing. Trailboy, a designated Chevy Trailblazer forum for owners that search through in-depth responses and postings from owners/customers experiencing identical concerns, confirmed that I’m not making up or dreaming these issues occurred.

Yes, I did give up with the dealership since the same conversation transpired when I brought the vehicle in for service. We would state the concerns of the vehicle, gave the keys to the service advisor and that person would respond: “You know that were not going to be able to find any issues with your vehicle.” I even went to a few other dealerships for a second opinion and once the next dealership heard my vehicle has already been looked at but another dealership, they would automatically refuse to check into the matter. Jerry Gleason Chevrolet in Forest Park, IL was the exact dealership that refused to look at the vehicle. Lo and behold, this dealership was one that closed due to General Motor’s bankruptcy.

I paid for having an extended warranty and now repairs to the vehicle that should’ve been covered by the warranty. Since I’m on a fixed income and pay child support to my ex-wife, I have no budget for vehicle repairs or extras. Luckily, my son has been able to assist me with paying for needed repairs and the extras that I can’t afford. Since this vehicle has been in and out of dealerships and repair facilities, Michael would tell me what the service advisor or technician said about the vehicle that I would argue with Michael. The last 2-3 years of our relationship has been arguing about this 2004 Chevrolet Trailblazer that so mysteriously can’t be fixed or repaired. Michael has exhausted all of his mechanic friends with my vehicle’s concerns. Another time, my Trailblazer was in the shop because acceleration seemed to lack power and the throttle body and filter needed to be serviced/replaced. The belt tensioner was one of the clinking noises under the hood and the belt was frayed.

In the recent year, my wife and I were driving on the road and the vehicle seemed to stall while driving through an intersection during rush-hour traffic. This was the most horrific experience in my life. I literally felt helpless and this vehicle was going to be the death of me. In addition, my current job requires driving in a carpool rotation and I refused to drive my Trailblazer long distances since I didn’t want to become stranded. My son allowed me to utilize his vehicle for the weeks that I drive. Unfortunately, this isn’t a short commute to my office in Oak Forest, IL from Franklin Park, IL and has packed on the miles to the vehicle. His vehicle was purchased at the end of last year and currently has over 18k miles on it.

Within the last month, my Trailblazer was broken down and was taken to Creative Automotive in Mount Prospect, IL and the mechanic there was able to duplicate all of my concerns that were reported to the previous dealerships. ** stated the water pump bearing was worn out to the fact where it was causing an entire host of issues with my Trailblazer. ** also replaced the 2nd air pump and relay since these were related to my original concerns (headlights flickering, vehicle dying out and jet engine noise). This cost me $650.00 to have my vehicle repaired. I’ve received my vehicle back a few days ago and haven’t heard or experienced issues. The mechanic, after hearing my story, said the problems I am experiencing were the result of the defective parts he found. He said these problems, especially the water pump, could’ve been diagnosed by an experienced mechanic. The only explanation he has was they didn’t know what they were looking for or since it wasn’t broken, the warranty company wasn’t going to pay to replace it (which by the way was told to me by one service mechanic).

I purchased a 2005 Chevy Trailblazer in 2005. I have had nothing but problems. I replace speedometer, electrical panel, water pump, crank censor, 02 censors and it just cut off on me going down the interstate. I have contacted GM about this problem, no response. I am looking to replace the fuel pump, crank censor, cam censor, plugs and thermal stat. This vehicle is like a ghost. It keeps haunting your wallet. Please help.

On 1/25/12 I was in a collision with two other vehicles. I rear ended a car and pushed that car into another one. My front end was totaled and to my dismay my air bags never deployed. I own a 2004 Chevy Blazer and have been a faithful GM owner for many years before this. This occasion and occurrence, however, has made me second guess their safety.

I own a Chevy Blazer 2000. On Christmas eve 2010 without warning at 10:pm on the way home, my Blazer stopped! No warning lights, no heat indicator, nothing! It just quit. I paid $140.00 in cash to tow me home as it was the only tow truck on Christmas eve to tow me, cash in advance, dropped me off in my driveway and gone! No receipt nothing on side of truck or card. Blazer still apart new gaskets heads still off. Mechanic kicked out nonpayment of rent. Car on side of building unfinished, M.F,G.M, pack of gangsters. Won't repair or reimbursed for repair car. Over 3 millions GM drivers screwed, I hope they go belly up! I made last payment this Oct, 30 - 2011. I was told there own lawyers brought class action suite against G.M, can they do that ? Is that legal? The FIX was in?

My 2007 Chev TrailBlazer's fuel level sensor stopped working 200 miles out of warranty. The car stalled in center lane of a six-lane highway due to fuel gauge misrepresenting fuel level. The gauge jumps all over, the empty chime comes on all the time, and the engine light comes on and off. Chevy is now admitting the problem, but they will only pay for half of the repair.

I have a 2005 Chevy TrailBlazer. I'm having problems with low beam headlights shutting off. I tried driving with high beams to get home. But I was pulled over by local police for failure to dim headlights. I received a warning.

This is similar to "Eric of Pennsauken, NJ (June 2011)" complaint. The fuel gauge on my 2006 Chevy Trailblazer stopped functioning two years ago. On September 2, 2011, we received a letter from GM describing our fuel gauge issue exactly and acknowledging that numerous vehicles have been having a similar problem.

But, instead of offering to warranty the defective parts and fix the issue at no cost to the consumer, GM is only offering to pay for 50% of the cost under their warranty repair schedule if you have it repaired at a GM dealership. Estimates that we received previously to repair this issue were over $800. Fifty percent of that estimate is still a lot of money for a repair that is clearly necessary as a result of defective product sold by GM.

GM needs to do a better job standing behind their products when they are defective.

I have a 1995 Chevy S-10 Blazer 2 wheel drive. Ball joint on left side of vehicle broke while traveling at 45 mph. I skidded off the road to the shoulder. The repair shop said that both ball joints were shot and just a matter of time before the other side went. They also indicated that the S-10 series Blazers, GMC's, and the like all seem to have ball joint problems early on in their miles. Even some with ball joint problems at 9,000 mi. What's up with that. I haven't seem any recall notices for this problem?

What conerns me the most, I was driving over 65 mph several minutes earlier in heavy traffic and what the outcome might have been if the ball joint broke on the freeway.

My Chevrolet Blazer had a "special policy" recall about soldering being faulty on the windshield wiper motor. A couple of months before I received this letter from Chevrolet, I was in an accident because my wipers stopped working during a rainstorm while I was taking my daughter to school one morning. I had to pay out-of-pocket to have my vehicle repaired because I carry only liability insurance.
I believe I am entitled to a refund from Chevrolet for the amount of repair because of the problem with the manufactoring of their vehicle that caused the accident. I have all paperwork, police reports, etc that will be needed.
My 7-year-old daughter was terrorized & scared to death, no serious injury. I also had a 2-year-old in the vehicle with me. I have had serious neck & back pain since this accident...I have been under a doctor's care for my back & neck.

Vanessa should sue GM in Small Claims Court for actual damages to the vehicle and any medical bills she incurred. It's the most economical way to recover her damages.

Chevy Blazer Company Profile