Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.04/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

GM extended warranties lengthen the life of its manufacturer warranties under its four popular brands: Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet and GMC. Overall, the Buick and Cadillac warranties have better coverage and benefits because they are luxury brands. You can extend any bumper-to-bumper GM warranty by two years or 24,000 miles. Extended warranties from GM are only available at the time of vehicle purchase.

BOTTOM LINE

GM extended warranties lengthen strong, standard warranties for its brands. The extended warranties are only available at the time you purchase the car, but it’s still a convenient option to prolong coverage.

PROS

• Transferable
    • Several plan options
    • Can directly extend factory warranty

CONS

• Only available at car’s point of sale

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

GM extended warranty coverage

When you are purchasing a GM vehicle, you can pay more to extend your warranty's coverage for two years or 20,000 to 24,000 miles, depending on the make of your vehicle. Most extended warranties bought from third parties do not do this — instead, they offer alternate coverage. However, GM extended warranties offer the same coverage and benefits as the original factory warranties, just for a longer amount of time and mileage.

The cost to extend your GM warranty by two years is an additional $1,000 to $2,000, depending on the make and model of the vehicle you buy. In contrast, the average extended car warranty from third-party companies costs anywhere from $350 to $750 a year.

BrandOriginal plus extended warranty
      Chevrolet5 years or 60,000 miles
      GMC5 years or 60,000 miles
      Buick5 years or 60,000 miles
      Cadillac6 years or 70,000 miles

GM Warranty benefits

Benefits with GM extended warranties include roadside assistance and courtesy transportation. Exact details and benefits vary by plan. Every GM warranty is transferable.

• Courtesy transportation: If your car is in the shop for repairs, GM provides either alternate transportation or a set reimbursement for car rental expenses.
      • Roadside assistance: Get access to towing, flat tire changes, battery jump-starts, fuel delivery, 24/7 assistance by phone, vehicle unlock service and trip interruption assistance.

GM Warranty FAQ

Does GM offer an extended warranty?
      Yes. You can opt for an extended warranty from GM when you purchase your vehicle. Depending on the make and model, extended warranties from GM add two years or 20,000 to 24,000 miles of coverage to the manufacturer's warranty.
      What is the standard GM warranty?
      All GM vehicles — from cars to light-duty pickups — come with a GM Powertrain Limited Warranty.
      How does a GM warranty work?
      A GM warranty works like most auto warranties:
      • Depending on what type of warranty you choose, GM covers most or all of your vehicle's repair costs.
      • Your warranty has two limits: one in years and one in miles. Your warranty coverage ends if you meet either condition (i.e., if the amount of time has expired or you exceed the mileage limit).
      What is covered in a GM bumper-to-bumper warranty?
      GM's bumper-to-bumper warranties cover any failures cause by defects in quality or materials. Examine your GM contract for specific coverage details.

Is a GM extended warranty worth it?

This decision depends on whether you like the standard GM warranty. For people who value the coverage of a GM warranty, it makes sense to extend that warranty. However, the biggest drawback is you can only purchase the extended warranty at the same time you purchase the car. For this reason, you should carefully inspect the coverage and benefits before committing to the extended warranty.

GM Warranty Reviews

Original review: Feb. 24, 2020

I purchased a 2017 GM Terrain Denali in October of 2017. Nine months later, I had it in to the dealer to find and fix the leak. Now,14 months later it was in the shop and they found mold growing on the passenger side carpet. The same area from before. So, either they did not fix it or a new leak sprung up. I called warranty myself because of the miles I have to drive to work I was out of the 36,000 mile warranty. However, it was under 3 years and I feel, because GM knows the Terrains have a problem with leaks, they should still honor the warranty. They didn't! All's they kept doing was have me take it back to the dealership to fix it.

After $450 dollars where they did not find it and another trip to the shop that the service manager wrote off, they finally found it. I work for the dealership and know how much they put in to finding it and how much they had to write off. Warranty would not even do a good will reimbursement of half the previous bill!! I'm taking my Denali and trading it in for a Toyota!! I have had way better dealings with them.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

Purchased new 2019 2500 HD High Country Duramax from dealer in Floresville Texas. Leather on steering wheel has has 4” of faulty, cracked leather under new vehicle warranty. GM refuses to replace steering wheel and correct the issue. After being a GM owner for several years this will be the last GM product I will purchase. Very unprofessional GM personnel that I dealt with.

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2019

My 2014 Chevy Cruze has 48,000 and the water pump is leaking. My warranty just expired in August 2019. I called Chevy to see if they would do something about the issue seeing as this is a faulty issue that upon reading about many Cruze owners have had. Chevy tells me "sorry you're on your own" for a 1000 problem for a car they let out of production with weak parts. They didn’t even attempt to offer a solution to stand behind their product. I’m so outdone with Gm at this moment and I love Chevy but my patience has snapped at this point. All I can say is don’t buy one of these. There is no way I’m supposed to be doing major maintenance on this thing this soon.

Original review: May 22, 2019

The last 3 years I have had issues with my cars acceleration. When I bought my 2012 Buick Regal in 2015. I was told I have a 5 year or 100k mile warranty whichever comes first. I have paid over 2k in fees. When I drive it would only go 35 miles an hour and that was flooring it. I went to the dealership for the repairs and was told it was not covered under the warranty so I had to pay out of pocket. My safety was compromised. I wasn't given a loaner vehicle. They told me they didn't have any. I was ignored and treated like I was bothering them because I wanted info on my car, I was just trying to find a resolution.

My check engine light has come on 3 different occasions from StabiliTrak issues, leak in the transmission, crank/cam shaft issues 2x resulting in loss of acceleration by Buick GM dealers selling poorly functioning cars with a misleading warranty that don't cover anything. So I called Buick customer service line and was told I had to wait 3 days to wait for someone to get back to me to let me know if they would assist with my car. The claim was escalated, when I tried to reach out to get some feedback for the dealership, I just got the runaround. The customer service escalations rep told me to call her when I went to get my car but then when I called there was no one available to speak with me. This was a 5-day nightmare that wouldn't end. I will never buy another car from this company.

Original review: April 11, 2019

I have had power reduction where you have almost been killed in the road. I have been dealing with GM for 7 months. They continue to say it does not have the Voltec emissions 10/150k and the battery 15/150 even though it says on the org sticker with the VIN. They still could never get the codes to prove my issue. I provided videos and documentation. Research. Met with rude, "Oh I'm sorry" and zero action. At 6.5 months they found the warranties, now shifted me to the exec office? Where they now say I do not.

I was clear that I wanted the car repaired, I wanted to know what they were going to do after 7 months of torture. I am a its survivor and this has put a larger burden on my family and that it's not safe car for my kids. Instead sent to dealers paying a few hundred every time. Now they say repeal drove rotor B $5200 but will help (it was 1k out of that warranty. But the battery one is a serious issue). This has been the worst customer service experience I have had my adult life. Shame on GM. No compassion for the common man and no compensation, no one there cares or is willing to do one thing positive. For me it's principle docs and videos provided. Guess I have to die in a car crash for them to understand how serious this is.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GM Warranty?

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I took my truck (16 Silverado, 25K miles) into the dealer for vibration while braking. They said my pads are good but my rotors are shot. They are warped and it would not be covered under warranty. Been on and off the phone with Chevy multiple times and they keep sending me to different dealers that are telling me different things that are wrong with my brakes. Not getting anywhere with this. Always drove a Chevy. Always been a Chevy fan. I think it’s time to bite the bullet and buy a Dodge.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I scheduled an appt with GMC for a warranty repair of the OnStar system. I was under 36000 miles when I scheduled the appointment. I brought the rig in a week later for repairs at 36,102. GMC refused to cover it. Saved money on the repair, lost a customer for life.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I don't know why I continue to remain loyal to a company who obviously doesn't care about their customers. I went through a huge battle with corporate and my local dealer years ago with my 13 Silverado LTZ after my dash cracked at only 31k miles. The truck was always garage kept but GM blamed me living in Florida as the cause for the damage. Even though it is a very well known issue with this truck. Now fast forward to my 2016 Corvette Z51 with 32k miles. My driver's seat of deteriorating with cracks and sticking ripping and coming out. Also a garage kept weekend car. The passenger seat that NEVER gets used is showing a discoloration and has a flat spot with no texture remaining on it. Of course GM denied my claim under the bumper to bumper warranty. I think I'm really done this time. I've been a life long loyal customer thus far. As a child all I ever dreamed of was having a garage full of Chevys.

I worked my butt off to fulfill that dream only to be treated like just another number. I currently own a 2013 Silverado LTZ, 2014 Cruze RS, 2016 Corvette Z51, 2018 Acadia Denali and even a 1996 S10 with 300k miles that gets me everywhere on a daily basis. I'm not rich by any means so I rely on these vehicles and their warranties to protect me. These are all clearly manufacture defects. But If I had the money to just fix these things trust me GM I wouldn't be reaching out to you! But I don't so I expect a little better product. Especially from a $70k Vette! But as much as it pains me to say, I'm done.

Trading the Denali for a Ford explorer Platinum for the wife. Selling the Cruze on Craigslist. Trading the Silverado for a Tundra. Going to try and sell the Vette to CarMax. Only keeping the S10 because it's been great to me and is too dear to my heart. When she finally goes out I'll leave her parked in the backyard for memories. Sorry for the rant but to me they're not just vehicles, they're a lifestyle and an expression of character and personality. I just wish that we, the customers were as important to GM as their product is (was) to us. Thank you for reading this and have a great day.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Faulty NEWLY LEASED TRUCK: Transmission issue within one month of leasing. I was expecting some input as to a timeline for repair of a FAULTY TRANSMISSION from the dealer & was also expecting a respectably equal loaner truck. Instead, I was given a Malibu. Furthermore, I’ve gotten the runaround as to getting some kind of reimbursement for not using my truck for 3 weeks! NEW LEASE, mind you!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

It was horrible. My 2016 Corvette Stingray transmission went out at 5000 miles. I had nowhere else to turn. I never suspected the transmission would go out at 5000 miles. Almost 80,000 dollar vehicle and the dealership and Buick GM of Murfreesboro Tennessee screwed me and convince the warranty people that nobody gets a new transmission. They are not knowledgeable on the warranty that I don't deserve to have a new transmission. They decided to rebuild it. I am 58 years old and I have never seen anybody that could rebuild a transmission in any capacity to where you're not constantly bringing it back in in the inconvenience fashion.

I got screwed by the warranty department and I got screwed by the dealership. The dealership tells a warranty department what they can and can't do. That's the horrible reality of it. Not only have they lost my business after this transaction but the dealership lost for customers and General Motors lost 12 customers from my connections. If this is the way they want to do business then so be it. Buyers beware. Chevrolet sucks so does Ford.

GM Warranty Company Information