Find an Extended Auto Warranties partner

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

About GM Warranty

GM factory warranties lengthen the life of vehicles from its four automobile brands: Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet and GMC. However, you can also get additional coverage or extend your factory bumper-to-bumper warranty. These plans offer a variety of different coverages; however, some of them can only be added when you purchase your vehicle.

Find Extended Auto Warranties partners near you

Pros

• Often transferable
    • Multiple plan options
    • Can directly extend factory warranty

Cons

• Limited purchase flexibility
    • Unclear pricing

Bottom Line

GM offers a number of additional coverages to help you keep your vehicle in good condition. You’ll have to talk to your dealership for most pricing details, but these plans can save you money later on.

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

What is GM Warranty?

“GM Warranty” isn’t an actual company; it’s an umbrella term for offerings from General Motor’s automotive brands: Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet and GMC. Like most automakers, these brands provide warranties for their new vehicles, but they also have additional warranty options available beyond what’s included from the factory. These protection plans are generally only available through participating dealerships, though.

GM extended warranty coverage

As a GM customer, you have several extended warranty options through your dealership, including:

• An Extended Limited Warranty
    • A Platinum Protection Plan
    • Gap coverage
    • Pre-paid maintenance (various levels)
    • Tire and wheel protection (various levels)
    • Appearance Guard
    • XS Wear Lease Protection
    • Advanced Lease Protection.

When you purchase a new GM vehicle, you can pay more to extend your limited warranty's coverage for two years or 20,000 - 24,000 miles, depending on the make of your vehicle.

BrandStandard bumper-to-bumper coverageExtended Limited Warranty coverage
    Chevrolet3 years or 36,000 miles5 years or 60,000 miles
    GMC3 years or 36,000 miles5 years or 60,000 miles
    Buick3 years or 36,000 miles5 years or 60,000 miles
    Cadillac4 years or 50,000 miles6 years or 70,000 miles

However, you can also choose to buy a Platinum Protection Plan at your dealership through a company called AMT Warranty. These vehicle service contracts are endorsed by GM’s brands, but they technically cover different things than your existing warranty. You can purchase a Platinum Protection Plan can be added at the time of purchase or up to 84 months or 100,000 miles down the road.

GM Warranty benefits

While your GM vehicle is covered by a Powertrain Limited Warranty or a Hybrid Specific Warranty, you qualify for the company’s 24-Hour Roadside Assistance Program. This includes benefits such as:

• Emergency towing
    • Lockout service
    • Flat-tire changes
    • Emergency fuel delivery
    • Jump-starts
    • Mobile EV charging

GM extended warranty cost

The cost of GM extended warranty coverage depends on which plan you choose. Plans range in price, but there’s not much pricing information available online besides the Platinum Protection Plan. Chevrolet, Buick, GMC and Cadillac all offer a Find My Price tool on their websites that provides quotes for a Platinum Protection Plan based on your vehicle.

As an example, we gathered quotes for a Platinum Protection Plan on a 2021 Buick Enclave in Texas and shared them below.

Coverage termSingle-payment price*Monthly cost*
    24 months / 24,000 miles$2,227.75$160.42 for 14 months
    36 months / 36,000 miles$2,963.05$143.80 for 21 months
    8 months / 48,000 miles$3,502.65$170.85 for 21 months
    60 months / 60,000 miles$3,683.15$179.90 for 21 months

*Prices are accurate at the time of publishing, not including taxes

It’s worth noting that paying the entire amount upfront offers a 5% savings, and monthly payment plans require a down payment of roughly $99. If you’re interested in what a Platinum Protection Plan will cost for your vehicle, use the Find My Price tool on your automaker’s website to get a quote for yourself.

GM Warranty FAQ

Yes, GM offers various additional protection plans, including an extension of your limited warranty and vehicle service contracts through AMT Warranty. You can only extend your original warranty at the time of purchase, but you can opt for a vehicle service contract when you purchase your vehicle or up to 84 months or 100,000 miles later.
    At the time of publishing, all new GM vehicles come with a powertrain warranty and a shorter bumper-to-bumper warranty. Chevrolet, Buick and GMC vehicles come with 3-year/36,000-mile bumper-to-bumper warranties, but Cadillacs come with a 4-year/50,000-mile warranty.
    GM warranties generally work like other auto warranties:
    • Depending on what type of warranty you have, GM pays for most or all of your vehicle's covered repairs at a participating dealer. However, you may have to pay a deductible with certain plans.
    • Your warranty has two main limits: one in years and one in miles. Your warranty coverage ends if you meet either condition (i.e., if the amount of time has expired or you exceed the mileage limit).

There are lots of other criteria for warranty coverage and limits, so it’s worth familiarizing yourself with the details on your GM brand’s website.

Broadly speaking, GM's bumper-to-bumper warranties cover any repairs, including parts and labor, made to correct defects in materials or workmanship. Examine your GM contract for specific coverage details.

Is a GM extended warranty worth it?

Whether a GM extended warranty is worth it depends on your vehicle, how much the warranty will cost you and the coverage it provides. Vehicles are more likely to need repairs as they age, and car repairs can be expensive. However, an extended warranty is only a value if you put it to use. Consider your budget, risk level and future financial position to see whether a GM warranty makes sense for you.

GM Warranty Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GM Warranty?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about GM Warranty?

Original review: June 25, 2021

Too expensive. Not worth to justify my car lifetime. Turned out my car ran no major mechanical or electrical issues after five years so it’s a bad investment. I felt doped on this. Very upset.

Original review: June 11, 2021

I just recently purchased a 2019 Chevy Spark LT. The car has a 110000 mile warranty. But I am looking to purchase a car from AutoMattox that will give me a million mile warranty. This will be a much better deal.

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 10, 2021

Pricey, Outta pocket fees accrue no matter what. Much of the extended coverage should be already part the warranties. Vehicle pricing already high, could be offset by extended warranty items as an inducement to purchase a GM vehicle.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2020

GM or dealership will not honor my warranty good until December 2020. 2014 Buick Regal purchased new in 2015. Dealership has had my car since July 27th. Just told me last week they won't cover the warranty because my oil change receipts were not detailed enough. Only thing on the receipt was my name, date and model and year of car. Smith Tire now KnA changed oil in all the work trucks at my job so I took my car there. They were in Blytheville Ar where I worked so it was easy to have one of my co-workers take me and pick up car.

Original review: Sept. 17, 2020

Never order and pay for a vehicle from Burkins Chevrolet or any GM dealership. Burkins noted in writing particles in new vehicle paint and GM warranty refuses to fix the problem. My Burkins salesman has been verbally abusive in text messages because I gave an honest review of how I was treated. Never buy a new vehicle from GM expecting them to honor their warranty. They play phone tag to frustrate the customer. Buyer beware.

Original review: Feb. 24, 2020

I purchased a 2017 GM Terrain Denali in October of 2017. Nine months later, I had it in to the dealer to find and fix the leak. Now,14 months later it was in the shop and they found mold growing on the passenger side carpet. The same area from before. So, either they did not fix it or a new leak sprung up. I called warranty myself because of the miles I have to drive to work I was out of the 36,000 mile warranty. However, it was under 3 years and I feel, because GM knows the Terrains have a problem with leaks, they should still honor the warranty. They didn't! All's they kept doing was have me take it back to the dealership to fix it.

After $450 dollars where they did not find it and another trip to the shop that the service manager wrote off, they finally found it. I work for the dealership and know how much they put in to finding it and how much they had to write off. Warranty would not even do a good will reimbursement of half the previous bill!! I'm taking my Denali and trading it in for a Toyota!! I have had way better dealings with them.

Original review: Jan. 20, 2020

Purchased new 2019 2500 HD High Country Duramax from dealer in Floresville Texas. Leather on steering wheel has has 4” of faulty, cracked leather under new vehicle warranty. GM refuses to replace steering wheel and correct the issue. After being a GM owner for several years this will be the last GM product I will purchase. Very unprofessional GM personnel that I dealt with.

Original review: Dec. 21, 2019

My 2014 Chevy Cruze has 48,000 and the water pump is leaking. My warranty just expired in August 2019. I called Chevy to see if they would do something about the issue seeing as this is a faulty issue that upon reading about many Cruze owners have had. Chevy tells me "sorry you're on your own" for a 1000 problem for a car they let out of production with weak parts. They didn’t even attempt to offer a solution to stand behind their product. I’m so outdone with Gm at this moment and I love Chevy but my patience has snapped at this point. All I can say is don’t buy one of these. There is no way I’m supposed to be doing major maintenance on this thing this soon.

Original review: May 22, 2019

The last 3 years I have had issues with my cars acceleration. When I bought my 2012 Buick Regal in 2015. I was told I have a 5 year or 100k mile warranty whichever comes first. I have paid over 2k in fees. When I drive it would only go 35 miles an hour and that was flooring it. I went to the dealership for the repairs and was told it was not covered under the warranty so I had to pay out of pocket. My safety was compromised. I wasn't given a loaner vehicle. They told me they didn't have any. I was ignored and treated like I was bothering them because I wanted info on my car, I was just trying to find a resolution.

My check engine light has come on 3 different occasions from StabiliTrak issues, leak in the transmission, crank/cam shaft issues 2x resulting in loss of acceleration by Buick GM dealers selling poorly functioning cars with a misleading warranty that don't cover anything. So I called Buick customer service line and was told I had to wait 3 days to wait for someone to get back to me to let me know if they would assist with my car. The claim was escalated, when I tried to reach out to get some feedback for the dealership, I just got the runaround. The customer service escalations rep told me to call her when I went to get my car but then when I called there was no one available to speak with me. This was a 5-day nightmare that wouldn't end. I will never buy another car from this company.

Original review: April 11, 2019

I have had power reduction where you have almost been killed in the road. I have been dealing with GM for 7 months. They continue to say it does not have the Voltec emissions 10/150k and the battery 15/150 even though it says on the org sticker with the VIN. They still could never get the codes to prove my issue. I provided videos and documentation. Research. Met with rude, "Oh I'm sorry" and zero action. At 6.5 months they found the warranties, now shifted me to the exec office? Where they now say I do not.

I was clear that I wanted the car repaired, I wanted to know what they were going to do after 7 months of torture. I am a its survivor and this has put a larger burden on my family and that it's not safe car for my kids. Instead sent to dealers paying a few hundred every time. Now they say repeal drove rotor B $5200 but will help (it was 1k out of that warranty. But the battery one is a serious issue). This has been the worst customer service experience I have had my adult life. Shame on GM. No compassion for the common man and no compensation, no one there cares or is willing to do one thing positive. For me it's principle docs and videos provided. Guess I have to die in a car crash for them to understand how serious this is.

Quick and easy. Get matched with an Auto Warranty partner.

GM Warranty Company Information