Find an Extended Auto Warranties partner

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

About GM Warranty

GM factory warranties lengthen the life of vehicles from its four automobile brands: Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet and GMC. However, you can also get additional coverage or extend your factory bumper-to-bumper warranty. These plans offer a variety of different coverages; however, some of them can only be added when you purchase your vehicle.

Find Extended Auto Warranties partners near you

Pros

• Often transferable
    • Multiple plan options
    • Can directly extend factory warranty

Cons

• Limited purchase flexibility
    • Unclear pricing

Bottom Line

GM offers a number of additional coverages to help you keep your vehicle in good condition. You’ll have to talk to your dealership for most pricing details, but these plans can save you money later on.

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

GM Warranty Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about GM Warranty?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about GM Warranty?

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

I scheduled an appt with GMC for a warranty repair of the OnStar system. I was under 36000 miles when I scheduled the appointment. I brought the rig in a week later for repairs at 36,102. GMC refused to cover it. Saved money on the repair, lost a customer for life.

Original review: Jan. 9, 2019

I don't know why I continue to remain loyal to a company who obviously doesn't care about their customers. I went through a huge battle with corporate and my local dealer years ago with my 13 Silverado LTZ after my dash cracked at only 31k miles. The truck was always garage kept but GM blamed me living in Florida as the cause for the damage. Even though it is a very well known issue with this truck. Now fast forward to my 2016 Corvette Z51 with 32k miles. My driver's seat of deteriorating with cracks and sticking ripping and coming out. Also a garage kept weekend car. The passenger seat that NEVER gets used is showing a discoloration and has a flat spot with no texture remaining on it. Of course GM denied my claim under the bumper to bumper warranty. I think I'm really done this time. I've been a life long loyal customer thus far. As a child all I ever dreamed of was having a garage full of Chevys.

I worked my butt off to fulfill that dream only to be treated like just another number. I currently own a 2013 Silverado LTZ, 2014 Cruze RS, 2016 Corvette Z51, 2018 Acadia Denali and even a 1996 S10 with 300k miles that gets me everywhere on a daily basis. I'm not rich by any means so I rely on these vehicles and their warranties to protect me. These are all clearly manufacture defects. But If I had the money to just fix these things trust me GM I wouldn't be reaching out to you! But I don't so I expect a little better product. Especially from a $70k Vette! But as much as it pains me to say, I'm done.

Trading the Denali for a Ford explorer Platinum for the wife. Selling the Cruze on Craigslist. Trading the Silverado for a Tundra. Going to try and sell the Vette to CarMax. Only keeping the S10 because it's been great to me and is too dear to my heart. When she finally goes out I'll leave her parked in the backyard for memories. Sorry for the rant but to me they're not just vehicles, they're a lifestyle and an expression of character and personality. I just wish that we, the customers were as important to GM as their product is (was) to us. Thank you for reading this and have a great day.

Original review: Aug. 28, 2018

Faulty NEWLY LEASED TRUCK: Transmission issue within one month of leasing. I was expecting some input as to a timeline for repair of a FAULTY TRANSMISSION from the dealer & was also expecting a respectably equal loaner truck. Instead, I was given a Malibu. Furthermore, I’ve gotten the runaround as to getting some kind of reimbursement for not using my truck for 3 weeks! NEW LEASE, mind you!

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

It was horrible. My 2016 Corvette Stingray transmission went out at 5000 miles. I had nowhere else to turn. I never suspected the transmission would go out at 5000 miles. Almost 80,000 dollar vehicle and the dealership and Buick GM of Murfreesboro Tennessee screwed me and convince the warranty people that nobody gets a new transmission. They are not knowledgeable on the warranty that I don't deserve to have a new transmission. They decided to rebuild it. I am 58 years old and I have never seen anybody that could rebuild a transmission in any capacity to where you're not constantly bringing it back in in the inconvenience fashion.

I got screwed by the warranty department and I got screwed by the dealership. The dealership tells a warranty department what they can and can't do. That's the horrible reality of it. Not only have they lost my business after this transaction but the dealership lost for customers and General Motors lost 12 customers from my connections. If this is the way they want to do business then so be it. Buyers beware. Chevrolet sucks so does Ford.

Original review: July 27, 2018

I have started having issues with my 2015 Chevy Camaro 2ss 6.2 6 speed manual around August 2017, approx. 60k miles. Both CV shafts on each side had went out either taking off from a light, or just driving. Dellenbach in Fort Collins, CO covered both passenger and drivers side CV shafts, but stated if they break again it's due to abuse. I stated, "No, it's not abuse." I told Dellenbach there was something else wrong with my rear end, and they stated, "No. It was just from abuse." I have powertrain warranty for 100k miles on my vehicle, I bought it brand new from Dellenbach. Around March 2018 both CV shafts broke again within weeks apart, Dellenbach refused to even LOOK AT MY VEHICLE TO FIND OUT WHY IT KEEPS BLOWING CV SHAFTS, STATING IT WAS ABUSE.

I told them, "No. It is not abuse." Dellenbach stated it was abuse because they had replaced a faulty engine mount, and 2 CV shafts under warranty. Dellenbach then told me I had bald tires, which I did not. The Camaro's have low profile tires, as any Camaro owner would know. So I called GM Warranty center and explain to them what happened. GM Warranty stated they do not need proof of an abuse claim, they just believe anything that the dealer tells them, and the car had been abused. I tried to explain to them and move up the chain, but I was told there is nothing they can do for me since the car was "abused" with no proof.

I paid out of pocket to have my CV shafts fixed, and a few weeks later, more problems. I was driving approx. 20mph and heard a big boom in my rear end area. I brought the vehicle into another dealership, Ghent in Greeley, CO. Ghent told me that the rear end needed to be replaced, about 4,000$. I went up the chain of GM Warranty center, and they continued to make false claims against me. GM executive (Emily) had told me that she first spoke with 2 dealerships and they both told her that my car was used in racing. I explained to her my car has never been in a race, nor street racing, and I have always taken care of my vehicle. Emily stated that Dellenbach and Ghent stated my car had signs of abuse from street racing, but would not specify the details.

I called Ghent asking if they had told GM that my car had signs of abuse from street racing. Ghent had stated they would never make a claim like that on my vehicle, since you cannot prove abuse, and they only told GM that they don't know if it was abused or if it just broke, since it is impossible to tell. Ghent then told me that Emily was sending somebody out to look at my vehicle to see if it was "abused". Come to find out, the person that was sent out to look at my Camaro was not a certified technician, and was only at Ghent to tell them what they should and should not cover under warranty! GM is telling dealerships what they shouldn't cover because GM doesn't want to pay for it! The guy that had come out told GM Warranty that he is not going to cover my car under warranty because of what Dellenbach had told them, still with no proof.

I spoke with GM Warranty the next day. Emily told me she had now spoken with 3 DIFFERENT DEALERSHIPS (which is funny because my car has only been to two, Ghent and Dellenbach). I asked Emily which dealers she spoke with that are making abuse claims, and she told me it was irrelevant, that it did not matter. Emily stated there were signs of abuse on my car. I asked what signs of abuse, Emily could not give me an answer. Emily stated that since Dellenbach replaced the engine mount and CV shafts it was abuse. I explained again to EMILY THAT MY CAR HAD MORE ISSUES THAN CV SHAFTS, there is a reason why a CV shaft would break at the hub on the passenger side and at the top of the rear end on the driver's side, this is not abuse. Emily stated that Dellenbach had voided my powertrain warranty because of the "abuse" claims. This is not legal nor ethical.

Emily stated she could not tell me anything further, or give me a copy of my records with GM, and could only send me an email denying my claim. Emily stated "Well Ghent gave you a quote for a new rear end." I said "yeah. 4k. Do you have 4,000 to replace a rear end?" This should be under warranty! I have issues with this because ,y car has powertrain warranty. Dellenbach was lying to GM stating that my car had been abused, and they have no proof of any abuse. GM nor Dellenbach could tell me why and how there was signs of abuse on my vehicle. I told Dellenbach and GM there was something wrong with my vehicle long ago, and they refused to do anything about it. GM and Dellenbach voided my powertrain warranty illegally under the Magnuson-Moss Act of 1975 and breach of warranty contract. GM and Dellenbach are not liable for strict liability negligence because they are refusing to fix something that is under warranty.

I did find that 2015 was the last year for 100,000 mile powertrain warranty, and in 2016 GM started a 60k mile powertrain warranty, coincidence? I think not, since around 60k miles my Camaro started having issues. I do not race, nor abuse my vehicle. Obviously GM knows that I am right and this is something that is covered under powertrain warranty, but they want to argue abuse with no proof of abuse only hearsay.

Original review: May 23, 2018

2012 GMC Sierra frame rust warranty - Took vehicle to the dealership and was told it needed a frame replacement. They kept it for 3 weeks only to be told that they would not do it that it needed to go to a dealer with a body shop. Now GM has backed out and does not want to repair the truck.

Original review: March 20, 2018

Just bought a Chevy Malibu 2016 and has problems with leaking water from the back windshield stop light. Make a complain and they told can do nothing about it. Really suck. Never gonna buy a Chevy. Bad experience and they file another problem with it. It’s a shift to park sensor alarm star and I have to hit the shift paddle to the front to make it stop. They haven’t fixed too.

Original review: Jan. 31, 2018

I bought a brand new 2015 Chevrolet Silverado in 2014. The truck has only 3540 miles on it and the BCM went bad causing the rear turn signals not to work properly. I brought it to the dealer for diagnosis and repair and was told that a short to ground in the courtesy lights had caused it. They found that when they installed the visors at the factory they had run a screw through a wire. After being charged $790.00 for the parts and repair I was then told there is nothing they can do warranty wise.

I've been in contact with GM corporate and have basically been given the runaround and ignored about this matter. This gives me the impression that it is not worth a few hundred dollars to show a lifelong loyal customer a little bit of courtesy and loyalty in return. Therefore I will never purchase another GM product again. My sister my daughter and my wife were considering buying new Chevys here in the next couple of years as well but we will all be buying Toyotas instead.

Original review: Nov. 22, 2017

We purchased a Certified Pre-Owned 2014 Corvette Z51 package in August 2016 from Sarasota, Fl with 6k miles. Drove the car back to Maryland and the car drove like a dream. February 2017 I took the vehicle to Waldorf Chevrolet at 2298 Crain Hwy, Waldorf, MD due to a rattling & squealing noise. Waldorf Chevrolet misdiagnosed the problem thinking the problem was the torque converter in the transmission. They went into the transmission, and replaced the torque converter.

I picked the car up only to find out that it was still making the same noise and the gear shift had play in it. I took it back to the dealership. They fixed the play in the gear shift but car still made the same noise. I suggested the belt tensioner. They replaced that and the noise went away. I thought I was in the clear, but a bad rumble started happening @ 2000 rpm. I took it back to the shop for them to tell me that when they replaced the torque converter, the work wasn't done right and caused the torque tube bearings to seize. The torque tube bearings seizing caused damage to the motor and they had to replace my motor with just 13,899 miles! I talked to the dealership and the manufacturer. They offered no compensation, no buyback, no diminished value, etc.

I get the car back after motor replacement and 5k miles later engine problems! GM tells me to take it back to Waldorf Chevrolet to repair with no options of going to another authorized Chevy dealership... Yeah, right! Waldorf Chevrolet's misdiagnosis is the root cause for me having to get a new motor. Meanwhile, my 2014 Corvette sits in my garage collecting dust with just 19k miles. My Worthless Corvette.

Original review: Oct. 25, 2017

Back in 2002 My mother paid $28,000 for a Alero car. We both drive it. We have had nothing but problems with this car from day 1. We have had to put about $10,000 in repairs or more. Car has less than 50,000 miles on it. One thing after the other fails or was faulty or defective on vehicle. Some recalls have even been done on the car. Car has bad rims or wrong rims that came with the car causing constant tire issues, where I had to fill the car with air every day and have had to buy numerous tires. Lights come on all the time. Radiator leaks no matter what is done, engine had to be overhauled. Battery has had to be replaced many times. The repairs never end. Constantly car needs repairs costing tons of money each time. I have never had these many problems with a car. $28,000 was a lot of money 15 years ago.

My mother wrote into the company to complain and they sent a letter saying they couldn't reach her. The letter said to call the number on it which my mother did. The rude lady that answered the phone was about a rude crab. She kept asking what she needed. Mom stated that we had already submitted a letter about the complaints with car. Rude lady proceeds to tell us the case was closed since they couldn't contact us. Yet neither of us ever got a call or a message. We are going to be writing the Better Business to see if they can do anything about this lemon we were sold. Very disappointed in General Motors Company. We will never purchase this brand of car again. We are also going to post this on facebook so everyone can know not to trust this company because they are of no assistance after they sell you a lemon.

GM Warranty Company Information