2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.06/5

The Dodge Journey is a mid-size crossover SUV that debuted in 2007. Read more Dodge reviews to learn about other models.

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Find my match

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

Find my match

Dodge Journey Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dodge Journey?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dodge Journey?

Original review: Oct. 9, 2020

Dodge Journey is a bad and unsafe car and Dodge is an unreliable company. We bought a 2015 Dodge Journey for my mother at Arrigo Sawgrass. We were looking for a safe SUV, a car you can trust. In September of this year, she was driving and suddenly a radiator hose exploded, she stopped the car abruptly and found that everything under the hood of the vehicle was very hot. She never got any warning lights or temperature problem at the dashboard.

We used the crane to move the car to the dealer (Arrigo Sawgrass), they said that the problem was in the head gasket engine, for some reason it broke and the oil was mixing with the coolant. That mix (refrigerant with oil) was in the refrigerant system as a pressure cooker boiling and suddenly exploded. The engine temperature was normal, the sensors did not send any warnings and that vehicle does not have temperature sensors for hoses or other elements.

The dealer sent us a quote for the repair, around $10,000. The car has 60,000 miles and the 5-year warranty ended in May 2020, so we are out of warranty for four months. The warranty for this model is 5 years or 100,000 miles. We talked to Dodge and they didn’t offer us any solution. They don't care about the Corona pandemic and the whole time the car was without use. I checked other Dodge Journey reviews online and this car's overheating seems to be a known issue. We can draw some conclusions from what happened.

1. The dashboard never noticed any fault, this is a design security flaw.
2. Why did the engine head gasket break? The dealer said that this engine model used to overheat and broke the head gasket seal, another design issue.
3. This could have happened on the road, thanks God my mother is fine, but the result could have been different.

4. Why, if the overheating problem is a known issue, they are still selling this model? This model should be withdrawn from the market.

We are not going to pay 10,000 to fix the car and we talked with the Arrigo´s Manager (Dealer) and he said that the best solution would be to take the car as trade for another car… they offered us $1,200… no comments. We are really upset by this experience and disappointed by the low reliability of Dodge.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2020

Updated on 02/25/2020: I bought 2015 Dodge Journey still under warranty and the transmission failed 5 days after purchase. The dealer I purchased it from sent it to Perkins Dodge in Colorado springs. They've had my suv for over 30 days now and have not replaced the transmission. When I fried to call them for an update the technician would not return my calls. When I finally got a hold of a manager they put me into contact with the technician. I was informed he was instructed not to speak with me. I then went to the dealer I purchased the vehicle from and they made an attempt to get the inspection report and were told no by perkins dodge. This has been the worst experience with any dealer I've been to. I would like a resolution but I doubt anyone on the dodge side cares.

Original Review: Bought a 2015 Dodge Journey with 42000 miles. 5 days after my purchase the transmission failed. Had to explain to the dealer 2 different times what happened before the failure. Took them 2 weeks to tell me they needed to install a new transmission but that they needed authorization from Chrysler to replace it. Then come to find out they are on backorder.... And they have no idea when they will get the part.

Get buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2020

I purchased my used 2014 Dodge Journey from Dave Sinclair Dodge in Pacific, MO in 2016. Recently my check engine light came on. I took it to a reputable local mechanic (Sellenriek Automotive in St. Louis, MO) and they said that I needed an "R & R intake manifold & replace engine oil cooler assembly." Shortly thereafter it needed a new alternator: $1532.29 on 11/11/19 for those repairs. My check engine light immediately came back on two days after these repairs and then my transmission went out: $3074.63 on 12/4/19 to replace my transmission.

I picked up my car to find the check engine light still on!! Sellenriek shut the check engine light off and told me to come back in when it came back on. I came back two days later for them to say they didn't know what was wrong but that my car was safe to drive. I had to take a trip 170 miles away the next day and Sellenriek said that my car would be fine on the highway... Wrong!! It wouldn't start when I attempted to return home. I had to have my car towed to Beachler's Vehicle Repair in Peoria Illinois. They installed a new starter: $637.12 on 12/9/19.

With my having spent $5244.04 within a span of a month, I decided to take it in to the local Dodge dealership. David Taylor Royal Gate Dodge in Ellisville Missouri charged me $162 to diagnose my check engine light issue and tell me they didn't know what was wrong but for an additional $512 they could open up my engine and tell me how much more money I would need to spend.

I don't know what to do. Should I go on and keep throwing money into this car? I called Dodge Corporate and they said that because my repairs hadn't been at a Dodge dealership, there's nothing they can do. I just asked that they would tell me what's wrong with the vehicle without charging me additional diagnostic fees. I'll pay any additional repair fees. They declined. I have paid $5406.04 in repair costs in the last month and a half. My engine is loud and the the check engine light remains on. NO one can tell me what's wrong but everyone seems eager to take my money. I am so angry, broke, and disgusted! I would suggest that no one ever buys a Dodge Journey (unless you wanna buy mine!)!!

Original review: Dec. 31, 2019

Purchased a used 2015 Dodge Journey with 39K miles. It has 70K miles now and I just replaced the coils and plugs for 700$ the next week I had to replace the Air intake manifold. The week after that it was diagnosed with a cylinder issue. Dodge warranty is repairing this and it's over 2000$ but I have to pay the deductible. Vehicle was in dodge and the service managers said it works as it was designed. Complete Lemon.

Original review: Dec. 25, 2019

I bought a used 2016 Journey Crossroad and I've had it for about 3 months now. The interior is really nice! Quality Katzkin leather all around. Large display screen and pretty roomy to boot. 2.4L engine so it won't win any races but I knew that when I test drove. It's definitely not slow either. I've been up to around 100 and it still could give me more. I really appreciate the compartments all around to store things. They're in practical and very accessible areas. Nice strong horn too! It sounds like a big SUV when I blow it. Plenty of room when I put down the 2nd or 3rd row seats!

The minor disappointments that I can live with are that the heated seat function doesn't always work. Sometimes I cut it on and it goes right back out. Other days it works fine. Haven't taken the time to figure that out. The Uconnect doesn't display info from the stream but I understand later models do. Lastly, there's definitely NOT a 20 gallon gas tank as advertised in here. I've researched many different comments on this without a definitive answer. Max I get is about 15 gallons in when I fill up. City mileage is a little disappointing at about 17mpg but Hwy is pretty decent at about 22-24mpg. Overall I went from liking it to really liking it. Quiet engine, handles well with the sport suspension, and a very roomy and user-friendly interior.

Original review: Dec. 15, 2019

I love my Dodge Journey. Dodge is a well known and dependable vehicle. It gets good gas's mileage. There is plenty of leg and head room for tall people. There is a lot of space in the back to store things.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

The Dodge Journey comes up short in a lot of ways, not very many safety features and watch out when it is raining 'cause the water comes right inside the car all of the time. Headlights are not very good. If you open the back end watch for water falling on your head or clothes. The vehicle is very cheaply made. Then the people at the dealership said dodge is in the top 3 vehicles to be stolen.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

I bought a Dodge Journey new in 2011. After about a month the front and rear bumpers were separating from the vehicle. I could get my thumb in the gap. Took it to the dealership where they tried to fix it. It still had a gap and got worse over the years but I can live with it. What I can't live with though is the fact I need a new battery every 6 months for the past 2 years and if I didn't charge my car 3 x a week I am sure it would be a new one every month.

It has been seen by 2 garages and no one can figure out what is causing the draw. Obviously it's an electrical issue. I have no alarm and no aftermarket stereo. Since that is usually the biggest issue we pulled the fuse so no radio, no clock. It still drains. One day while approaching my car I noticed my horn was going off. Got in the car, started it, started driving and my horn was honking all the home. Pulled out another 2 fuses. Several times I have walked past my car in the garage and noticed the Dodge sign illuminated on the dash. I have to open and close the front passenger door for it to go out. I know this is causing the drain but I fear by pulling the fuse I will lose the whole dash computer panel and I have to know what speed I am going and how much gas in my car.

Also when starting I have to wiggle the gear shift for it to start. Twice when driving just 10 mph and slowly down for a stop sign, the car locked up, I lost the power steering and gas. I was on a dry road. Had to coast the car to the other side of the road. Stop and restart. That is just plain dangerous. I will getting a no Dodge vehicle as soon as I have paid off my truck. Can't believe 2 garages had it for a week and can't find what is making a draw.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

I bought my 2013 Journey 10/12 and everything was fine until the warranty expired. Since then my car refuses to start. I am constantly getting this NO BUSS msg and a -40 temp reading. I replaced the battery and it worked for a few weeks then right back to NO BUSS. I had the leads to the fuse box replaced, sensors replaced, another new battery and the car will not run for more than 2 days. As soon as I touch the door handle the back wiper starts going the climate inside turns on and the dash all lights up but the car will not start and the wipers/climate will not turn off! I disconnected my battery to stop it. I left for work and 1 hour later my neighbor calls me to tell me my car turned itself on in the driveway! It's been in the shop AGAIN for 2 months now and still not working. What a waste of money :(

Original review: April 23, 2019

I got my 2013 Dodge Journey in June of 2018. Had it a year now but when I got it I noticed when pushing the button to start it it would not turn over so I took it back and the salesman had no problems but looked at me as if I was stupid but it kept doing this so I wanted a new starter and they put a new one in and it still does it and I have noticed that my panel lights come on when I'm sitting with nothing on. They come on and go off and my cruise control works when it wants to and I get really bad gas mileage and I use my car for security work so besides driving 16 miles five days a week I'm using a lot of gas doing patrols as well. I don't know if a tune up or oil change will help and since I'm still paying on it I can t trade it in. Maybe Dodge should buy everyone who has these death trap cars different ones cause now I'm stuck with this car and I do worry about my safety.

Dodge Journey Company Information