Save on Car Repairs

Compare Quotes
1.59/5
Based on 230 reviews that contain star ratings

Dodge Journey

The Dodge Journey is a mid-size crossover SUV that debuted in 2007. Read more Dodge reviews to learn about other models.

Save on Car Repairs

With the Best Extended Warranty

Compare Quotes

233 Dodge Journey Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I get 14 miles to a gal not 22 I should get. I drove 230 miles on a full tank, used 3/4 of a tank so I reset gas. Filled tank, drove to a half a tank 142 miles. I got 14 miles to a gal on it. It's a 2015 Dodge Journey with 138500 miles on it. Does anyone know what's going on here?

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I recently returned my 2012 Dodge Journey due to the fact that upon inspection after two years of owning, they discovered it has frame damage! The rear bumper was starting to separate from the vehicle, which sparked my curiosity as to why this was happening! Apparently the vehicle had been in an accident prior to my purchasing! Which was not disclosed upon purchasing, obviously no dealership will disclose this information due to the simple fact they will not get the sale! I am very disappointed with my purchase hence my returning of the vehicle! I will to be disputing the voluntary repossession as they stated will stay on my credit report for 7 to 10 years! If this is the way this company does business, then I advise the buyer beware!

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

Brand new Dodge Journey (2018) nearly every time I get in the passenger side door I scrape my leg to the point of bleeding. The metal track the seat moves on the move back and forth protrudes to where you put your leg in.

Original review: July 20, 2018

I was driving last night and my car start stalling. I park on the side and wonder what's wrong with the engine. I found out transmission problem. My God. The car had only 42k miles. I very disappointed to encounter a brand new car and had a major problem. Now I call a dealership and they responded only 36k factory warranty.

Original review: July 17, 2018

I have a 2014 Journey (first time owning a Dodge), on July the 7 I went to drop my son off at the Y (no problems), on my way home the ECT comes on (mind you I just spend $700 in February due to an issue with that. ***Mind you car had been parked for two days, because we were spending the 4th at home.*** So as I pulled in to my house the car started smoking, the temperature light came on and went back off, I was already home (thank God) and the car just shut off. So I tried to start it, and nothing but smoke the car would not come on. Had the car towed to Hendrick Dodge and few days later I get a phone call and said the temperature hose has a leak. And they repaired it, however after they took it for a test drive the head gasket blew.

Now mind you I'm still under Chrysler warranty and the head gasket/engine is covered. Simple right?? Wrong, I was told they could not fix my head gasket unless they torn the engine down to look for other issues and I was responsible for the cost of that tear down, so I asked, "If you know what the problem is (head gasket) why can't you just repair it." Evidently Chrysler warranty won't let them unless they earn the engine down to look for the problem that caused the head gasket to blow. I had the car towed to another dealership Lake Norman Chrysler and they tell me because the temperature hose caused the engine to overheat the work is not covered under my warranty and I should just get a new engine. WTF!!! I was told not to tear the engine down because it was more likely than not that I need a new engine that I will have to pay for ($6000).

These dealerships are worse than the raggedy Dodge Journey. Fast forward to speaking to Chrysler customer care, suggested that I have the car towed from Lake Norman BACK o Rick Hendrick Dodge and the ONLY way I can get my head gasket fixed is to let them do a tear down and if they pin point the issue that caused the head gasket to blow they will fix it IF it's an issue that's under warranty. But the temp hose is not under warranty, Told a tear down by Lake Norman would be $2000-$3000.

So two weeks no car with kids missing appointments and me missing school. I'm confused how does a car that has been sitting for two days no indication of an issue before Friday and ends up having a blown head gasket and possibly needing a new engine. Oh and on top of that I found out there was a recall (never notified) FOURTH recall. I only found out by being on the Chrysler FCA page and entered my VIN number and a there flashing on the screen big safety recall message in red. I'm so over this!!! Week two no car!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dodge Journey?

Original review: July 5, 2018

This car (2014 Dodge Journey) has only 58k KM and has left me stranded twice already. On the first incident I was on the hi-way when the TRANSMISSION FAILED!!! I did manage to get off the hi-way and call a tow truck. The second time leaving a restaurant with my family the car wouldn't start. I thought it was a battery issue so I called road assistance to get a boost. When buddy got there he tried boosting the car but the car would not start. Had to call a tow truck again (he even tried to boost it with no luck). I was planning a big road trip with the family but canceled it because I just simply don't trust this vehicle. I gave it the extra star because the dealership has been helpful, they rebuilt the tranny and gave me a loaner car in the meantime. I still waiting on the news with the starting issue... Wish me luck people. :(

Original review: July 2, 2018

We've had this car for 3 years and the problems are never-ending. Within days of driving it off the lot, we had to bring it back for a brake that was sticking and getting hot. After that minor problem more and more problems started adding up. Bad wheel bearing, bad electrical window switch, bad battery which takes a ridiculous amount of work to replace because of where the battery is located in this car, brakes and rotors needed replacement after only 15k miles, check engine light for busted thermostat, trunk gets stuck randomly, door gets water inside when it rains and must be emptied, doors are rusting and squeaking, vibration in transmission when shifting, power steering is leaking, the list goes on.

The best part is we only use this car for errands. We have only put $20k miles on the car in 3 years and we've had some very expensive fixes. If I could go back in time, I would have never made this purchase. This was a very expensive lemon. I had less problems with my old junkie cars than the Journey!

Original review: June 28, 2018

Have replaced brakes several times, when it rains, the doors fill with water and I have to drain them. Dealership "fixed" airbag light coming on and two weeks later the same light came on. Had two recalls fixed, but those seem to be never ending.

Original review: June 21, 2018

The Dodge Journey is perfect for me and my family. It's black and I love that color! It's really good on gas so that's good also. I got it for a great price and it's everything I wanted! It has a big screen, 3 row seats, heated steering wheel, heated seats, and coolers in the floor boards. The passenger seat lifts up and there is storage! However, I kind of regret getting leather seats because they get dirty so easily. I wish it would pick up and go a little better. Also, when I'm getting on the highway it takes a bit to speed up. I knew that when I got it though.

Original review: June 19, 2018

We purchased a brand new Dodge Journey in Oct. of 2016 with an extended warranty. At about 2k miles, we started having annoying problems such as the headlight filled with water, the rubber around door just fell off, the windshield wiper broke and fell off... Then, the navigation stopped working. Once we got that "fixed", the buttons to operate the climate control and radio stopped working. At about 20k miles, there was a loud knocking sound coming from the engine. That turned out to be the flywheel. It needed to be replace at 20k!! The car was in the shop that time for about ten days. Within a few days of having it back, the AWD light went on. I called the dealership and was told to turn the car off and that if it reappeared to bring it in, but if not, to not worry about it. The light went off. The next day as I was driving my son and elderly mother, the light came back on and the brakes and steering immediately went out.

I was able to safely steer the car into a parking lot. We're not getting into that deathtrap again. We got it to the dealership again for service and it took them a month to look at it. When they did, they called us to say it was "fixed". We had explained that we were worried about driving it. Dodge called and said we should pick it up and "test drive" it if we were worried. The service person offered to test drive it for us. We got a call a short time later saying they were back at the drawing board because the car broke down on *him*! Dodge has forced us to go through a lengthy and time consuming arbitration process to try to get them to buy it back. Their excuse is that the car was bought in Oct. so it sat on the lot for 10 months prior to our purchase!!! Do any of us know how long our car was sitting in the lot prior to purchase and would that keep you from buying it?

Dodge was literally throwing the dealership under the bus to avoid responsibility. We are awaiting the result of our arbitration and will update once we learn of their decision. We have 3 kids and bought the car for reliability and safety, neither of which this car possesses. I feel very lucky that the car broke down where it did and not the day before, when I was on the bridge with my daughter. Avoid this car! I'll update with Dodge's decision and hope they show some responsibility and concern for the safety of their customers.

Dodge Journey Company Information