3.74/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Dodge Journey

The Dodge Journey is a mid-size crossover SUV that debuted in 2007. Read more Dodge reviews to learn about other models.

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Dodge Journey Reviews

Original review: Oct. 15, 2019

I bought a Dodge Journey new in 2011. After about a month the front and rear bumpers were separating from the vehicle. I could get my thumb in the gap. Took it to the dealership where they tried to fix it. It still had a gap and got worse over the years but I can live with it. What I can't live with though is the fact I need a new battery every 6 months for the past 2 years and if I didn't charge my car 3 x a week I am sure it would be a new one every month.

It has been seen by 2 garages and no one can figure out what is causing the draw. Obviously it's an electrical issue. I have no alarm and no aftermarket stereo. Since that is usually the biggest issue we pulled the fuse so no radio, no clock. It still drains. One day while approaching my car I noticed my horn was going off. Got in the car, started it, started driving and my horn was honking all the home. Pulled out another 2 fuses. Several times I have walked past my car in the garage and noticed the Dodge sign illuminated on the dash. I have to open and close the front passenger door for it to go out. I know this is causing the drain but I fear by pulling the fuse I will lose the whole dash computer panel and I have to know what speed I am going and how much gas in my car.

Also when starting I have to wiggle the gear shift for it to start. Twice when driving just 10 mph and slowly down for a stop sign, the car locked up, I lost the power steering and gas. I was on a dry road. Had to coast the car to the other side of the road. Stop and restart. That is just plain dangerous. I will getting a no Dodge vehicle as soon as I have paid off my truck. Can't believe 2 garages had it for a week and can't find what is making a draw.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

I bought my 2013 Journey 10/12 and everything was fine until the warranty expired. Since then my car refuses to start. I am constantly getting this NO BUSS msg and a -40 temp reading. I replaced the battery and it worked for a few weeks then right back to NO BUSS. I had the leads to the fuse box replaced, sensors replaced, another new battery and the car will not run for more than 2 days. As soon as I touch the door handle the back wiper starts going the climate inside turns on and the dash all lights up but the car will not start and the wipers/climate will not turn off! I disconnected my battery to stop it. I left for work and 1 hour later my neighbor calls me to tell me my car turned itself on in the driveway! It's been in the shop AGAIN for 2 months now and still not working. What a waste of money :(

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 23, 2019

I got my 2013 Dodge Journey in June of 2018. Had it a year now but when I got it I noticed when pushing the button to start it it would not turn over so I took it back and the salesman had no problems but looked at me as if I was stupid but it kept doing this so I wanted a new starter and they put a new one in and it still does it and I have noticed that my panel lights come on when I'm sitting with nothing on. They come on and go off and my cruise control works when it wants to and I get really bad gas mileage and I use my car for security work so besides driving 16 miles five days a week I'm using a lot of gas doing patrols as well. I don't know if a tune up or oil change will help and since I'm still paying on it I can t trade it in. Maybe Dodge should buy everyone who has these death trap cars different ones cause now I'm stuck with this car and I do worry about my safety.

Original review: March 15, 2019

Have had nothing but issues with our 2012 AWD SXT. Have changed all the motor mounts. Oil cooler, rear differential and numerous sensors. If I didn't have a master mechanic as a friend I would be out thousands in repairs. I have replaced alternator, starter, and now looks like rear differential. Car has 142k but have always kept service up on it. Piece of junk. I have thought about sinking in the lake, seriously. Horrible vehicle.

Original review: Feb. 17, 2019

I bought a used 2017 Journey from a dealer. Ran well for the first couple months. As of 2/22/2019, I will have had this car for a year. Over the last 4 or 5 months, I have found that I am having to jump start the car every morning. I have been to the dealer twice now and several other auto shops. All of which tell me they cannot find a problem and that the battery and charging system all test fine. I am now on my 3d battery in less than 4 months. I refuse to believe I am buying that many bad batteries in a row. Upon getting out of the car, I have also noticed that the dash lights will go off and on continually which I feel is also a problem. Yet no explanation from the dealer or anyone as to why this is happening also.

It's like the car is not fully shutting down and the electronics are killing the battery every night. The dealer did replace my battery with the biggest battery they could just to appease me and get me out of their hair. But yet it was dead again that next morning. Dealer has refused to look at it anymore and has referred me to other dealers. I'm now left with a newer car that I am making payments on for the next several years that has to be jump started every time I wish to go somewhere. Absolutely sad excuse for a vehicle. And after reading all the reviews on this model of Dodge, I am now ashamed to say that I am stuck with a piece of crap. And this is only one of the issues I am having with the car.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dodge Journey?

Original review: Jan. 23, 2019

I purchased my 2015 Dodge Journey SXT in 2015 with 16,000 miles on it. The car worked fine until 55,000 miles. I had to have the radiator fan replaced, 3 motor mounts, computer replaced, front struts replaced, battery replaced and more. Thankfully I had an extended warranty because the car took about a month to repair. I would have had to pay out of pocket above $5,000-$7000 in costs. No issues with the dealer but beware of this car. It will cost you $$ without a warranty. So I traded it in for a Honda Pilot. I hope the Pilot is a more reliable SUV.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I get 14 miles to a gal not 22 I should get. I drove 230 miles on a full tank, used 3/4 of a tank so I reset gas. Filled tank, drove to a half a tank 142 miles. I got 14 miles to a gal on it. It's a 2015 Dodge Journey with 138500 miles on it. Does anyone know what's going on here?

Original review: Sept. 4, 2018

I recently returned my 2012 Dodge Journey due to the fact that upon inspection after two years of owning, they discovered it has frame damage! The rear bumper was starting to separate from the vehicle, which sparked my curiosity as to why this was happening! Apparently the vehicle had been in an accident prior to my purchasing! Which was not disclosed upon purchasing, obviously no dealership will disclose this information due to the simple fact they will not get the sale! I am very disappointed with my purchase hence my returning of the vehicle! I will to be disputing the voluntary repossession as they stated will stay on my credit report for 7 to 10 years! If this is the way this company does business, then I advise the buyer beware!

Original review: Sept. 3, 2018

Brand new Dodge Journey (2018) nearly every time I get in the passenger side door I scrape my leg to the point of bleeding. The metal track the seat moves on the move back and forth protrudes to where you put your leg in.

Original review: July 20, 2018

I was driving last night and my car start stalling. I park on the side and wonder what's wrong with the engine. I found out transmission problem. My God. The car had only 42k miles. I very disappointed to encounter a brand new car and had a major problem. Now I call a dealership and they responded only 36k factory warranty.

Dodge Journey Company Information