Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
3.74/5

Dodge Journey

The Dodge Journey is a mid-size crossover SUV that debuted in 2007. Read more Dodge reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

237 Dodge Journey Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Feb. 21, 2018

I bought a 2010 Dodge Journey. Never missed an oil change (and changed oil more frequently than required by shop sticker because I went by the oil sensor). I knew front end problems were common with this car as my mechanic warned me when I bought it (ball joint replacements pretty damn common... No biggie. I can live with that). I started losing rpms while driving. Never lost power, just became gutless and struggled to maintain certain speeds. Took it in to 2 places for full diagnostics, ended up changing crankshaft sensor 1 month, camshaft sensor couple months later, variable timing sensors, list goes on, and it's still having timing issues.

My heater went, my horn went, my sanity is now gone too. This vehicle is a curse and when you contact Dodge with these VERY common problems, they claim ignorance to these things and act like you're the only one. **The horn issue is a huge safety hazard and upon research by myself AND my mechanic... IT IS WIDESPREAD WITH THE 2010s and yet... No recall. Yet, Chrysler denies the problem.

Original review: Oct. 15, 2017

In 2015 I bought a 2014 Dodge Journey SXT with almost 33k on it. Besides being sold a car with an open recall (3 completed to date on the vin), it has been nothing but a headache. The gas is good, and it's a 4cyl so that helps, but that's the only reason I gave it 2 stars. In addition to recalls, the engine has leaked oil (taking 4 trips to the same Dodge dealer we purchased from) to get it fixed and multiple parts replaced (oil plug, oil pan gasket, serpentine gasket). Now, at 71k, the hose that goes to the radiator (right under the metal cap) has completely cracked and is leaking fluid badly. But powertrain doesn't cover it...

The car's 3 years old!! I've had the car less than 2 years and have made 10+ trips to the dealership just for repairs that I should not be encountering this early on in. On top of that, the cruise control, and satellite radio do not work properly, and the radio changes volume and channels whenever it feels like it. The display screens periodically go blank (mph display and radio). A few months back, my air/heat randomly turned on 4 times on its own while I was driving. I'm about to purchase my 2nd set of tires in less than 2 years. Overall this is the worst out of 4 cars I've bought, and will NEVER buy one again. I tell everyone I know never, ever to consider it!

Original review: Oct. 13, 2017

We bought our Journey in April 2017, brand new! In August after putting around 6,000 miles on the car we started having issues... The check engine light, traction control light and this lightning bolt light all come and I can't accelerate. I can coast to a stop but that is it! It has happened to me five times now, all in different situations. Twice on my driveway going slow, on the frontage road doing about 60 and having to pull over halfway in someone's yard and out in the road, in the city where I had to think fast and try to find a place to get off the road quickly... This is a huge safety issue! Once I get slowed down the car starts to shake really bad, put it in park and it quits shaking. I am able to turn it off and sit for a few minutes, start it up and drive again. The check engine light remains on for a day or two and goes out. I take it into the dealership each and every time but they are unable to fix the issue.

Even with the error codes saved on the Event Data Recorder (EDR) which is on all Dodge Journeys from 200-2017. They have tried FOUR times now and according to a few sites regarding the Montana Lemon Law, this car is a Lemon. However, try talking to the corporate "big wigs" and they claim that the internet research is "vague" and in fact they have to duplicate the issue in order for it to qualify as a "Lemon". My response was, "this can happen to me 10,000 times but until the issue duplicates at the dealership with your technician, it is not a lemon?!" His response was "yes". So Chrysler doesn't care about my safety or the safety of my family (we have two young boys). When it happens, it's an unnerving feeling, especially in traffic and areas I am unable to get off the road safely.

I am beyond upset that Chrysler doesn't "care" for its customers. This is a HUGE safety issue for my family. I bought a brand new car to avoid issues like this and now I am scared to drive my new car anywhere, especially any place that doesn't have areas to pull off in an emergency. Coming into winter in Montana, only making the roads that much more unsafe for travel. On top of that... The value of my car has decreased immensely! How can I trade it in or sell it when any smart individual will pull a Carfax and see what's wrong with it. From the Council of Better Business Bureaus, Inc.'s website: "The lemon law covers any defect or condition that substantially impairs the use and market value or SAFETY of the motor vehicle to the consumer."

I was told by our salesperson we worked with when purchasing the vehicle that I would need to become a royal "B" every single day, be persistent in bugging these people every single day. This is not my personality! Not to mention why does it have to come to that before they realize the real issue at hand... SAFETY! I urge anyone to NOT buy a Dodge Journey. Perhaps avoid all Chrysler vehicles in general.

Original review: Sept. 19, 2017

I purchased a 2016 Dodge Journey on October 5, 2016 with 32 Miles on it and drove it for 6 months and right around the time the weather started to get warmer my journey started to fail me. I have taken my vehicle in 6 different time for the same issue (7/18/17, 7/19/17, 7/25/17, 8/4/17, 8/11/17, 9/14/17) it stalls while driving, wont pick up speed, after letting it sit for about 10 mins it starts back up. I've been stranded with my 3 and 8yr old Daughters waiting on help to arrive only to have it put into the shop and be told each time they cant duplicate the problem.

After reading the complaints online and seeing I’m not the only one who's having this problem I’m asking Chrysler to please step in and help us out. I've been told that a Chrysler engineer will look at and fix my vehicle, I dont know if it happened or not. I was told that the problem couldn't be duplicated and but it’s still stalling. I was told they flushed the fuel lines and dropped and cleaned the fuel tank, did the factory recall, they even looked for codes to help solve the problems. All which have not worked.

Now I'm being told that I have bad gas, the funny thing is I get my Gas from the same gas station as the dealership and I fill up my other vehicle and the rental cars from the same place. Now it’s someone has put something in my gas tank. Even today the manager at the dealership asked me if I had kids and when I said Yes he said maybe one of them may have put Dark pop like (Coke or Pepsi) in my tank... Wow. When will it end? I put all my Money into this Vehicle each month for myself then my Daughters and all I want is a reliable vehicle that is what I thought I was purchasing. I have every work order and many of other complaint that I have gotten online regarding the same problems and from the looks of them none of them have been resolved. If someone could please help me on what my next steps should be please feel free to reach out. I've completed my customer arbitration process application to declare my 2016 Dodge Journey a LEMON...

Original review: Sept. 14, 2017

We bought our Journey brand new. After a week of driving the check engine light came on. Dealership continues to tell us nothing is wrong and resets it. Only 9000 miles and the light is back on for the 4th time.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Dodge Journey?

Original review: July 23, 2017

Bought a 2017 Dodge Journey 02/2017 with only 9 miles when I drove off the lot. About 6,000 miles in the car started stalling. The engine shuts off completely and I lose all power steering. Radio and lights still on. I immediately have to obviously come to a complete stop in traffic, put the car in park, press the brake and restart the vehicle (starts up with no problems). It does it at random, some weeks more than others. I have taken my car to service where purchased (under full warranty) 3 times already. I already have a case number when Chrysler and Under Arizona Lemon Law I have to at least give them 4 attempts. Of course whenever the car is in their possession they cannot get it to duplicate the problem. I have had 3 different people in my car when it has done this. I have even now purchased a dash cam. My car is currently in the shop 07/23/2017 for the 3rd time and once I receive it back I will be installing the dash cam to catch the stalling on video.

Dodge has reached out to the "engineers" and tried to come up with a reason on why this would be happening. So far they suggested to the dealership to replace sensors (didn't work), to replace wiring (didn't work). Now they want me to do a ride along with one of their mechanics and even hook up a device to my car that reads codes (won't work). The funny thing is, Chrysler is aware that the Dodge Journey's have this problem but yet don't know where it's coming from or how to fix it yet they keep selling this dangerous and unsafe product (did I mention I have a 5 year old) who loves to sit in the 3rd row, when my car is basically asking to be rear ended. Please stay away from any Dodge Journey no matter the year. They all clearly have problems and the situation is only getting worse.

Original review: July 10, 2017

I bought my 2010 Dodge journey sxt back in 2014. Here is the list of all I have had to have done to it: 1) new passenger door latch, 2) new Brake pedal switch, 3) new EGR valve, 4) two new tie rods, 5) new head gasket, and 6) new catalytic converter. Living with, or still needs done: Rear seat arm rest, plastic fell apart, Passenger side front head rest broken (plastic) part to keep it in place. #s 4, 5, 6 all within the past year. I'd get rid of it, except I'm still too far upside down on the loan.

Original review: June 13, 2017

I purchased this vehicle a 2010 Dodge Journey SXT used at a local dealership and they are no help whatsoever Fredrick Ford in Seaford, DE. First few weeks went to use my horn and it does not work... My husband checked the fuse box and realized fuse was disconnected (how did this pass inspection???) When he reconnected the fuse the horn just went off and would not stop. My husband also had me take it back because he realized the front end was riding rough... Rack and pinion starting to go... They will not fix b/c it is not covered under power train warranty!!! Approx. 1200.00 to fix. Then the car doesn't start... Sometimes it does sometimes it doesn't!!! I had the alternator, starter and battery checked... all good!!! I did get a new battery anyway. That is no good because it still needs to be jumped constantly and I'm making payments on this lemon!!!

Tires wore down within a year. This car is a piece of crap!!! A complete lemon. Dodge should be ashamed of yourselves putting families and especially children in danger!!! I will tell everyone I know what garbage this car is. I have had nothing but problems since I got it. It makes me sick to make this car payment every month!!! THIS CAR IS A LEMON!!!

Original review: June 9, 2017

I bought a new Dodge Journey 2017 on March 29. Car rode rough from the beginning, took back to original dealer who did nothing. Service told me to drive for 600 miles then bring back to have tires checked. I call the tire Kumho on my auto. They sent me to Discount Tires for a tire check. Tires were not balanced. This did not change ride of auto. Called Dodge customer they sent me to another dealer today. He said it was my suspension. Still nothing has ever been done or checked except for tires. I am 70 and bumping around is stressful. Dodge Journey is a nightmare.

Original review: June 1, 2017

Bad car will not start. Check the battery and alternator. All good but will not start. Would not recommend anyone to buy this car. It's a lemon. Manufacturer should recall all Dodge Journey. They are junk!!!

Dodge Journey Company Information