Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
3.69/5

Chevy Volt

The Chevy Volt is a plug-in hybrid that runs off a battery. It was introduced in 2010. Read more Chevrolet reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

28 Chevy Volt Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 2, 2019

2012 Chevy Volt won't honor warranty 2012 Simi Valley Chevy. I brought the car in to Chevy's Simi Valley at 101,000 miles with the service manager Matt **. They could not figure out why there was a power reduction in the car. Was stalling on the freeway and on the canyon when switching from electric to gas then they told me it was a drive rotor be that needed to be replaced which is $5200 but they would give it to me for 1500 if I decided right away. Still they have not found why there is loss of power. They just say no codes. Been speaking to GM for 6 1/2 months and no one will help. They say if it doesn't have codes they can't figure out why, I told them that every research I did points to the large battery and that the car has special warranties as it was a special edition. I proved that the warranties were there with the original sticker and then but they would not honor them.

6.5 months later "your car does have the warranty". "Aren't we so generous?" But still will not recognize the first issue. Now I have 113k miles, cannot have my children in the car because it's not safe. I even provided video. This is criminal. Do I have to die and my wife have to sue? How can I even fight them. They just say, "Sorry you are talking to the supervisor," "do you you have a boss" to customer relations, "No. I'm the supervisor". "Everyone has a boss". "Nope". I guess they just don't care. It's so upsetting. They don't call back the hours you say you are available. I begged dealer to at least try to find out what is wrong and advocate - "Nope. Sorry we cannot find it." "May I speak to your TAC team?" "No". Awful awful awful. I can't afford to get another car. I bought this one to save money and take my kids to school. The little guy gets beat every time with no recourse. Please help.

Original review: Feb. 18, 2019

My vehicle began demonstrating symptoms of problems with the high voltage battery while the vehicle was within the Voltec warranty period of 8 years or 100,000 miles. The symptoms were reduction to the battery range and a Propulsion Power Reduced warning message. In August of 2018, I brought the vehicle in to Chevrolet dealer for diagnosis of reduced battery range at which time the Volt had approximately 91k miles. The dealer programed the vehicle to address a voltage balance issue for which a recall had been issued. I only observed minimal improvement to battery range. In December 2018 the Volt displayed a Propulsion Power Reduced warning message after the High Voltage battery was discharged and the gas engine turned on. We brought to Chevrolet dealer at which time the Volt had 98k miles. The dealer could not find the cause of the warning message.

In January, 2019 the Volt again displayed the Propulsion Power Reduced warning message, the gas engine turned on briefly then shut off, leaving me stranded on the side of the road. I towed the vehicle to Chevrolet dealer. At that time the Volt had 100,156 miles. The dealer found there was a check engine light with low voltage codes and the 12-volt battery failed a test. The dealer refused to further diagnose or to provide me with the vehicle’s low voltage error codes unless I paid them to replace the 12-volt battery. I had the 12-volt battery replaced independently. On February 12, 2019 the Volt again displayed the Propulsion Power Reduced warning message. The gas engine turned on briefly then shut off, leaving me stranded on the side of the road.

I had the Volt towed again to Chevrolet dealer at that time the Volt had approximately 101,500 miles. The dealer was able to diagnose the cause of the warning message as a failure to section 3 of the high voltage battery. According to the dealer, GM has agreed to pay $1,812.66 of a $4,600 repair cost. Given the battery range reduction and warning message while under the Voltec warranty, I believe the failure began to manifest while under full warranty coverage and should be fully covered. Additionally, the vehicle displayed low voltage codes when at 100,146 miles, which was nominally out of the warranty period and was clear indicator of high voltage battery issue.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 12, 2018

My Chevy Volt came with a GM advertised in Black and White in the owners manual and on the GM Owner's website, Volt 8 year warranty. That 8 yr warranty states it covers every part specific to Chevy Volt and the propulsion system. My car has 20,000 on it and is only 5 yrs old. When it came time to use the Warranty GM denied the coverage. NO reason, Just stated the repairs were not covered. That two parts needing replaced, were, Volt only parts, specific to the proper and even operation of the propulsion system. One of these parts even though it was still working was required replaced by a GM Bulletin that stated it needed replacing if Manufactured before Sept 2013. This repair was at owner's expense because GM Denied the Warranty covered these parts.

The simple fact is that GM even after being confronted about this just stated the repairs were not covered under the 8 year warranty and that was it. Everything printed from GM states otherwise. They just are the Big company against the little consumer so basically it is as always, the consumer gets ripped off. I filed a complaint with BBB against them and that simply amounted to BBB sending my complaint to GM, GM responding the repair was not covered by warranty and that the car was out of warranty, and BBB closed the claim. The Volt is still under the 8 year Voltec Warranty both by mileage and years. I've included the information on the GM owners web page showing the printed coverage provide with the sell of the vehicle.

Original review: Nov. 26, 2018

We have a 2013 Volt. Last August had problems with electrical system. Local dealer lied about having properly trained technician, did not have a certified technician. Caused more problems, they had to be shipped to a dealership that had proper certifications, trying, and equipment 60 miles away. Total disaster and GM/Chevrolet did not handle properly, was extremely stressful. Now the engine has failed and needs replacement in Oct/2018. Again a disaster getting help from them no, return calls or followup. I am fed up. This car has 90,000 miles at least half electric mode. Other gas engine. How can an engine fail with so few miles on it. You would think we could get proper care from their Elite Team. We are now past warranty and getting no help from them.

Original review: Sept. 26, 2018

I have a Chevy Volt that wouldn’t turn off. I needed immediate assistance, so I called Chevrolet Customer Service. They couldn’t help me and told me I’d need to get it to a dealer ASAP. Let me start by saying that only a Volt tech at a dealer can service the car. This was the first challenge. I called all dealers in my area and they either didn’t have a tech available for a couple weeks or kept putting me into voicemail. I finally found a dealer an hour and a half away that could get my car in to look at. My car only had 40,000 miles, so the issue was still under warranty. But the part needed was on backorder. The dealer didn’t have any loaner cars available. Because I live so far away, I needed a car. The dealer said that maybe if I call Chevrolet, they would cover a car rental. I called Chevrolet again and they said that they’d have to have a service advisor call me back.

Meanwhile, I needed a car, so I rented one at Enterprise. When Chevrolet called me back, they first told me that the dealer would be responsible for the car rental. When I told them the dealer referred me to them, she put me on hold and came back on and said they could cover a 3 day rental. Now keep in mind the part is on backorder, but ok. About 15 minutes later, the Chevrolet person calls me back and says that the car rental had to be a Chevrolet or they wouldn’t reimburse. Now, the Enterprise by the car dealer is small and only had 2 cars available, a Nissan and a Dodge Charger. So I ask what happens when they don’t even have one available? They said they were sorry that it wouldn’t be covered. Now come on...what kind of customer service is this??

#1 No dealers close to me can work on my car. #2 it took them 2 days to call me back in the first place, in which I had already rented a car. #3 The dealer was an hour and a half away and had no loaners. #4 Part is on backorder. #5 Chevy will not cover a rental car on a warranty issue for more than 3 days, even though it took 5 days to get the part. #6 Chevy would not cover the car rental at all, because the rental car company didn’t have a Chevy to give me. Now how is any of this my fault? What a nightmare of an experience and I really wish I had a different brand. I used to be a loyal Chevy buyer, but never again after this experience!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chevy Volt?

Original review: Aug. 14, 2018

Purchased new Volt. Dealer experience was great. The car is great, EXCEPT Issue [1] - Chevy keeps using driver side window stickers with glue that cannot be removed. These stickers inhibit driver vision and must be removed. When the sticker is removed, a large area of sticky glue remains that catches the rubber window seal and attempts to tear it loose, while making a terrible sound as the window goes up and down.

To remove the glue residual, the buyer must use something like gasoline or GOO-BE-GONE to soften the glue so a rag can remove it. After the glue is removed, there is an oily residue remaining, that must be removed with a window cleaner. This 30-minute exercise is not appreciated. As I recall, I had the same problem on the last Chevy I purchased 20 years ago. Issue [2] - Seatbelt dinger is adjustable from very loud to painfully loud. Wife does not like driving the new car with such a loud seatbelt dinger. It hurts her ears. I cannot resolve and believe dealer will not consider an actual fault, requiring repair.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

My husband and I have had our Chevy Volt for almost 2 years. The car was perfect but now we have a daughter on the way I can't put the car seat in the car because this car is too small and I have to sit with my seat straight up. Now we're having problems with the electrical. I will never buy this car again.

Original review: Aug. 6, 2018

4 times, as power switches from battery power to the gas motor, power is lost. Dashboard shows loss of power and must shift to park. Upon pulling over, with no power, shifted to park but am not able to turn the vehicle off. Pushing the start button with foot on brake, it is not possible to shut off and restart. Had to be towed to closest Chevy dealership. Electrical codes do not indicate any problems, but I am tired of losing power on a heavy traffic highway, towing. This is a lemon. The first time it happened, I had only driven 4 miles - completely new. Car had to be towed back to dealership where I just bought the car. General Motors could not get the car to work - complete transmission replaced. I was excited about this car when I bought it, but it is not reliable. I have only driven 7500 miles and can't depend on it working for trips beyond 40 miles.

Original review: June 21, 2018

I had to buy a used car in a hurry after mine was destroyed by a drunk driver. I shopped over a several state area, and found Volt gave me the most bang for the buck. I contacted Volt owners who were happy with this model. It's a solid car, easy to drive, and I love the choice to use electric or gas. The driving is smooth and it is a good strong car. My former car was a hybrid, and I love hybrids. My 2002 Prius was a pioneer of the hybrids, and was fabulous on gas usage, but its hybrid battery was weak when I drove over mountains. The Volt is a stronger car, and I think it will be good when I travel across the Rockies.

I just wish it had more room or that I could install a rack on too. Mine is a 2012, and I missed out on heated seats. Later models have some of those extras. I would trade my 2012 for a 2013 or later if possible. Also, the instruction book is not clear enough. For those of us who are not technically savvy, we can use better instructions. And not every Chevrolet dealer works with Volts. Chevrolet never advertised them enough, nor exposed all dealerships to them.

Original review: Dec. 29, 2017

You can google the many heater issues with the 2014 Volt HVAC system, but the upshot is this: Chevy will not stand behind its product, it's overly complex HVAC system which uses electrically produced heat in electric-only mode, and uses the engine heat in gas mode. Eventually the HVAC system fails - in my case in the late 35k miles, and was sold to me as a preowned car with the HVAC system not working properly by an authorized Chevy dealer. After failing, in electric mode, the first 36-41 miles of driving, you can turn the heat on, but instead of heat, the air conditioner will blow. It could be freezing outside, only the AC will blow in the car, the heater will not work. There is nothing you as a consumer can do except take it to the Chevy dealer to have the 3 way valve/pump fixed for $500-$1000 USD - AND, if you look online, it will simply break again, so why waste that money to patch their inferior HVAC system?

This should be a recall, it's not technically a safety issue, just a shoddy design issue. I spoke with Chevy customer service, but no matter how many times I spoke with them, they would only dock $500 dollars off the repair. I urged the Chevy "California Engagement Team" (Case **) advisor to simply google the problem to inform himself - its a known design issue. But unfortunately Andras, the corporate advisor, has to follow the company script and say it's out of warranty, and until the car is recalled, too bad! No more GM products for me. This is my second Chevy Volt so I know the car well - the HVAC system NEVER, EVER works properly right off the assembly line - it runs the AC for a while until the many switches decide what mode to be in. Eventually the car will turn the heater on, IF it is working.

Later in the life of the car, it will stick with the only the AC blowing on you in freezing cold weather, no matter what you set the HVAC system to. You can turn the heater to MAX (90 degrees F) but it will make no difference. Only AC will go on. Rather than pay Chevy to fix my car (I do not want to pay further for the mistakes of their R&D dept.), I paid the $250 to get my car back. When want heat, I'll have to wait for the battery to deplete (40 or so miles of driving) and wait for gas mode to kick in.

Chevy Volt Company Information