3.59/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Chevrolet Equinox

The Chevrolet Equinox is a roomy compact SUV that was first introduced in 2005. Read more Chevrolet reviews to learn about other models.

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Chevrolet Equinox Reviews

Original review: July 3, 2019

I bought a 2019 Equinox new and my brother bought one at the same time. Two new cars with the same issue chemical smell coming out of vents with a/c on. I called my dealer no problems that they know of. Today I took the car to the dealer, they called and surprisingly, there is a bulletin on the issue. So there must be a hell of a lot of other people having the same issue. I need to hear about your concerns. They said there is a problem with afterflow enabling whatever that is. 4410315 must be the service bulletin. How do you see it. Also they did olh odor correction. The smell is still there when the car goes to auto shutoff, when the car comes back on the chemical smell comes back. What do you think. Thank you.

Original review: June 26, 2019

I purchased a 2019 Equinox LT in October 2018. I had the car a few months and the dashboard started rattling. At first, once in a while, then, all the time. The rattling drives me crazy. The car is loud inside like an old truck. There is hissing coming from the radio and vent area, hissing on the driver's side floor, hissing sound like it is under the console, wind sound as if a window is open, knocking sound on the left side of dashboard, hard dragging when I brake, a motor like running sound in the door across from the steering wheel. The radio blacked out while I was driving and came back on after a while. Mechanic said I need a new gear shift and ordered the part. He said the rattle was coming from under the hood and called himself fixing it.

When I got the car back, it was still rattling. Just recently, the radio started making a loud blaring noise and it continued for almost 4 minutes; I recorded it because I could not stop it. The hood of the car has several lines in the recessed section that won't come off when washed. I got out of the car, left it running, and heard loud hissing noises coming from the back tire area. I am afraid to drive this car any distance because there is always a new problem. Most of the time I leave it in my garage. It only has 3400 miles on it. I would like to enjoy a new car, but not with this Equinox.

Original review: June 11, 2019

I drove my brand new Chevrolet Equinox off the lot 5/30/19. The car is a company vehicle ordered to my specifications. I drove it somewhere between 20-25 miles and while I was at a stop, I went to pull from it and the accelerator wouldn’t work... the street the engine light came on. I floored it and it barely accelerated, and finally got up to speed. This proceeded to happen and I tried to contact the dealer to see what I should do, and he recommended bringing it in for service.

My coworker had a similar incident happen to her vehicle and I called to see what the problem was and what the resolution was. She advised that there was a clip that was popping off and it would cause the vehicle to lose the ability to accelerate. I was able to reconnect it before driving home. I brought the vehicle in to the local dealer the next day and shared what the issue was, and he said that it would be fixed in a couple of hours. I told him the turbo Inlet pipe was off and a clip was missing. Told him my coworker had the same issue and he needed to order a Charge Air Tube Retainer Kit.. and it still hasn’t been resolved. Here we are 6/11/19 and still no car.

Why did the Chevrolet factory even send the vehicle if this is not an isolated complaint. They should recall for repair as I could have been in a very serious accident. It’s dangerous if you pull into traffic thinking you’re going to be able to go with the flow of traffic, and all of a sudden it feels like the engine is shutting down. Unbelievable.

Original review: June 3, 2019

2013 Equinox (2.4L, 71780 miles) rear main seal blew out last January during cold snap. Mechanic said PVC system was clogged and that caused the rear main seal to fail. GM had extended warranty for this but not for my VIN. Cost me $2300. GM refuses to help. GM dealer and GM customer service told me that although warranty was extended to 100,000 mi. for 2013 Equinox, it did not apply to my VIN even though it is the identical problem/issue. Does not make sense.

Original review: May 30, 2019

Purchased a Equinox in February 2019. It has 1,144 miles on it. Died in the middle of traffic nearly causing a major accident over Memorial Day Holiday. Engine/Transmission malfunction. Engine Power Low alert/Service engine soon alert. Reeked of gasoline. It was towed to Dan Tobin Chevrolet. The replacement part on back order, indefinitely. Their repair entailed reattaching the broken part. They ordered the replacement part and will notify me once in. The assistance manager, Gregg, refused to provide a loaner and declared the car repaired. This individual verbally assaulted me and physically came at me multiple times because I talk back and refuse to settle for lies and bully behavior.

He attempted to use various methods of intimidation because I pressed the issue that a loaner should ethically be provided, he’s had more than a day to secure a vehicle for me and lemon laws likely apply here. A separate employee made inappropriate sexual gestures toward me then called me a ** when I declined. Called the complaint line, while on the line, the supervisor, Jeff **, approached me and undermined everything that just happened saying it wasn’t important. He laughed and my situation. When I asked why he was laughing, he said “maybe I’m just a happy guy.” The GM complaint rep told me to file a police report and that she had concerns for my safety, which I did.

The car is still not operating properly, has not been repaired properly, does not accelerate, still smells like gasoline, is unsafe, and could pose a threat to my life. GM complaint specialist has been trying to find a dealership that will provide a loaner, do another evaluation on the car or maybe tow it. None in a 100 mile radius will accommodate except for one. But GM is not willing to pay to have the vehicle towed there. I have emailed multiple supervisors and executives. No response. I have missed two days of work with no resolution in sight. I submitted a complaint against BBB. I have IM the manufacturer. I have been black balled by this company. Lemon laws may apply.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chevrolet Equinox?

Original review: April 25, 2019

I like the Auto. It was always a reliable vehicle for me. I owned a 2009. Only thing I had repaired was a plastic vacuum canister location on bottom of vehicle under passenger seat. I figure a rock took it out and cracked it. Complaint would be at 50,000 miles. I had a tragic accident where vehicle flew thru air and rolled 3 times end over end and rolled 6 times sideways. My wife was killed and I was hurt bad and none of the Airbags went off.

Original review: April 24, 2019

I feature was not explained by the salesman nor did the vehicle I test drove shut off during the rural test drive. The Auto Stop feature on my new 2019 Equinox is a poorly thought out way to save a minuscule amount of fuel. Our new Equinox did not come with an override button for this feature therefore there's no way to shut it off. The vehicle shuts down every time the brake is applied and held for a few seconds. This is outrageously annoying at every traffic light. The engine shuts down when the AC is engaged making start ups very hard on the starter not to mention a strain on the electrical system....and the AC is blowing warm air when the compressor stops turning. The manual says it comes with a heavy duty starter to make up for all the extra starts. I find that very hard to believe. GM builds obsolescence into their vehicles or they would go out of business.

It's also a safety hazard in my opinion to be sitting still in stop & go traffic with a car that keeps re-starting every 20 seconds. There is a delay from the time you take your foot off the brake till the engine restarts and begins to move...very infuriating and very dangerous! This is the DUMBEST feature I've ever seen on a car. If I had know this system existed and functioned the way it does, I would have never purchased this vehicle. Shame on Chevrolet for installing this ridiculous feature without a way to disable it. Shame on Chevrolet for not having a fix for this poorly designed system!

Original review: March 18, 2019

While driving at a low speed, my wife heard an abnormal noise coming from the engine. The vehicle quit while in gear and she coasted to a stop. She and I could not get re-started. I had it towed to a mechanic where I live, where it was diagnosed that there was a loss of engine oil and a stretched timing chain with broken guides. There were no warning lights that turned on referencing low oil and the oil level has been good until now with mileage at 70,800. Oil changes were performed at the recommended intervals. Mechanic did a pressure test and found that there was damage to the valves and they needed to be sent out to be repaired. All at a cost of $3100, of which I do not have. I've also had to rent a car for 3 weeks and it will be an additional 10 days before it is completely fixed.

Reading all the issues with the timing chain causing engine or rear seal failures is unbelievably high imop, being a manufacturer myself. What astonishes me is that there is no recall for an apparent design and manufacturing problem. However, since death is not a result of the failure, Chevrolet has yet to announce a recall and make their customers pay for their mistakes to save money. Have driven Chryslers and Toyotas over 250,000 miles and never had an issue like this. My first car was a Chevy Camaro and unfortunately this equinox will be my last ever Chevy purchase.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

2017 Equinox and the fuel pump is already out. 37,000 miles and I’m billed 900 to fix it already. Wondering if others have had similar issues? Have had previous Equinoxes and good luck. Thinking I just got a part that was a lemon. I did contact GM so we’ll see where that takes me.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Overall this has been an enjoyable vehicle. I bought it new, and have had it over six years. But, there have been a pair of engine issues with its 2.4L engine that all considering this car should be aware of. At about 65k the engine was rebuilt from the pistons “up” due to oil consumption, under warranty. This would have been $2500 without the warranty. At 107K the pcr valve “froze” and the build-up of pressure in the engine caused the rear main seal to blow out, causing most of the oil to leak out quickly while driving. It almost stopped dead. So, good car, but be very aware of the history of common problems with the 2.4L engines. I believe in 2018 they stopped using the 2.4L in Equinoxes. $1400 for the rear main at the dealer, and my VIN was included in the “special warranty”. I’m still trying to get some coverage from GM and the dealer.

Chevrolet Equinox Company Information