Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
3.56/5

Chevrolet Equinox

The Chevrolet Equinox is a roomy compact SUV that was first introduced in 2005. Read more Chevrolet reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

37 Chevrolet Equinox Consumer Reviews

Original review: March 18, 2019

While driving at a low speed, my wife heard an abnormal noise coming from the engine. The vehicle quit while in gear and she coasted to a stop. She and I could not get re-started. I had it towed to a mechanic where I live, where it was diagnosed that there was a loss of engine oil and a stretched timing chain with broken guides. There were no warning lights that turned on referencing low oil and the oil level has been good until now with mileage at 70,800. Oil changes were performed at the recommended intervals. Mechanic did a pressure test and found that there was damage to the valves and they needed to be sent out to be repaired. All at a cost of $3100, of which I do not have. I've also had to rent a car for 3 weeks and it will be an additional 10 days before it is completely fixed.

Reading all the issues with the timing chain causing engine or rear seal failures is unbelievably high imop, being a manufacturer myself. What astonishes me is that there is no recall for an apparent design and manufacturing problem. However, since death is not a result of the failure, Chevrolet has yet to announce a recall and make their customers pay for their mistakes to save money. Have driven Chryslers and Toyotas over 250,000 miles and never had an issue like this. My first car was a Chevy Camaro and unfortunately this equinox will be my last ever Chevy purchase.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

2017 Equinox and the fuel pump is already out. 37,000 miles and I’m billed 900 to fix it already. Wondering if others have had similar issues? Have had previous Equinoxes and good luck. Thinking I just got a part that was a lemon. I did contact GM so we’ll see where that takes me.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Overall this has been an enjoyable vehicle. I bought it new, and have had it over six years. But, there have been a pair of engine issues with its 2.4L engine that all considering this car should be aware of. At about 65k the engine was rebuilt from the pistons “up” due to oil consumption, under warranty. This would have been $2500 without the warranty. At 107K the pcr valve “froze” and the build-up of pressure in the engine caused the rear main seal to blow out, causing most of the oil to leak out quickly while driving. It almost stopped dead. So, good car, but be very aware of the history of common problems with the 2.4L engines. I believe in 2018 they stopped using the 2.4L in Equinoxes. $1400 for the rear main at the dealer, and my VIN was included in the “special warranty”. I’m still trying to get some coverage from GM and the dealer.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I love my 2005 Chevy Equinox and I like the ride and comfort. I like the rear plug in for charging things and the cup holders in front and back. But, I’m unhappy at the moment. It’s been overheating, and from reading online, it's popular with this brand. Can't figure out what's wrong with it and not having an outside temperature gauge and that is terribly frustrating. Putting money into it with no good results. I would also love to have heated seats and a heated steering wheel. I wouldn't mind having a computer for radio and GPS, too.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I having a bad experience with GMC. I bought in April this year a brand new Equinox 2018 but, in June 23rd my car broke (with 1,000 miles) and, my car still stopped at dealership to fix it (39 days). In the last update told me that the engineer is working on that!!! I did ask to GMC to give me my money back but, they are not listening me... The only answer that I have it's, "Sorry sir the engineer is working in your car..." I don't wanna stay with this car anymore!!! 39 days... Unbelievable.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chevrolet Equinox?

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I have had the best time in this Chevrolet Equinox, it is smooth driving and provides plenty of space for my family. The seat are most comfortable because of the way they are made, they are like bucket of comforts. I like the anti-lock brakes, the self-cleaning windows, and the air bags on the passenger side too. My children love to be driven in the car and that is a plus for our family. However, I dislike the color of my car because I wanted a different color when I was buying it but did not want to wait for it to be ordered. So I bought what I could.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I am very pleased with this Chevy Equinox and like that my cell phone is paired with the car, it's safer than picking up the cell phone. It's easy to get in and out of and has ample room inside. It's also easy to get things in and out of. The GPS is a lifesaver since I don't have a good sense of direction. I wish the back access door in the back opened and closed automatically though.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

The experience I have had with my Chevrolet Equinox has been a very positive one. There has been no major problem with the Chevrolet Equinox and it is now 10 years old. It is the most comfortable car in which I have driven. It gets decent gas mileage, has a great, roomy, and comfortable interior and the exterior is very sleek and stylish. The features that I like about the Chevrolet Equinox is the built-in OnStar and the quiet engine. Whenever it is time to purchase another new vehicle, the Chevrolet Equinox is at the top of the list based on how pleased we are with our current Chevrolet Equinox.

Original review: July 30, 2018

Terrible buy and wouldn't buy again. This particular model year is known to have an engine that consumes excessive oil and has sat for months waiting on a rebuild. The dealership did not mention this when buying and this issue should be covered by warranty... Lo and behold, it is not. The look of the exterior though is sleek and the interior is luxe and roomy. It is black on both the inside and out, with leather trim and individual media viewing screens for the rear passengers. My son is over 6 feet tall and fits comfortably in the backseat whereas he doesn't fit so well in some trucks. There is a blind spot in the rear seating area. If they used a tinted glass, it would still have the same aesthetic but be safer overall for the driver so the vision is not obstructed.

Original review: July 25, 2018

It's been a good experience. Chevrolet Equinox comes loaded with lots of safety features like backup camera, reverse alerts and even a backseat alert which is super useful. The safety features and heated seats are my personal favorites but the seat folding out to have a lot more cargo room. The trunk opening with your key or a button is really nice and also the keyless start. Has satellite radio OnStar hookups galore too.

Chevrolet Equinox Company Information