2. Automotive
  3. Car Models

Shop on Rydeshopper
Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.48/5

The Chevrolet Equinox is a roomy compact SUV that was first introduced in 2005. Read more Chevrolet reviews to learn about other models.

Chevrolet Equinox Shop on Rydeshopper

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory and find your next vehicle on Rydeshopper.com

Find a Dealer Near You

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory and find your next vehicle on Rydeshopper.com

Find a Dealer Near You

Chevrolet Equinox Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chevrolet Equinox?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chevrolet Equinox?

Original review: Dec. 24, 2019

I love the safety features, gas economy, and the smooth drive of my Chevy Equinox. I would recommend Chevy for the service and the quality and looks of the car. I was always partial to Buicks until I test drove my Chevy. It is quite roomy and comfortable and lots of room to for carrying groceries and other large items.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

I love my Equinox LTZ. It is my dream car and I have no complaints at all. It is a great vehicle. I have had Chevrolets for years. They are a great company and I recommend them highly. My Chevrolet Malibu lasted well past 300000 miles and finally the axle broke because of my brakes.

Get buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 16, 2019

We have liked the Chevy Equinox. It is very comfortable with good back seat leg room. Decent gas mileage especially at longer distances. Handles well and has a good turning radius. With all electronics, we have had issues with check engine light coming on and needing service.

Original review: Oct. 23, 2020

Design, comfort and fuel economy are great. However, the 2.4L Ecotech Flex engine burns oil at an alarming rate. I had to spend $4500 on a motor replacement, not even 11 months after I bought the vehicle. I had a warranty and was denied my claim by a dishonest adjuster. Chevy knows that there are problems, but only issued a service bulletin that I, or YOU would never know about. Pretty horrible business practices when we know that GM received taxpayer dollars during the recession. Go for the V-6 if you desire an Equinox. The 2.4L are trash and will break your bank.

Original review: May 12, 2020

May, 2016 I* bought a brand new 2016 Chevy Equinox. In June, 2019 the OnStar died. GM failed to satisfactorily resolve. I wound up paying around $900.00 for a Body Control Module I didn't need before dealership finally determined I needed an OnStar module, and the part was unavailable until just recently. I sought assistance from GM Headquarters, customer service, where I filed a complaint. My complaint remains unresolved as I expected at least partial reimbursement being as this involved a rather inexplicably defective part.

GM doesn't stand behind their advertised commitment of "Customer Satisfaction". Since it occurred (1 month) out of warranty I had to pay for repair/replacement, estimated at around $900.00. I can see having to pay for parts going bad through "normal wear & tear" but wasn't expecting to held financially liable for a defective Onstar module that, in my opinion, should not have failed. I expected GM to stand behind their commitment of customer satisfaction and their products and at least offered a goodwill repair. They didn't. Buyer beware! This company is circling the drain and isn't likely to get my business again!

Original review: April 23, 2020

This vehicle is the worst vehicle I have ever had. I have dumped over $5000 in a $15000 SUV. There is always a problem with this vehicle. Once I get one thing fixed, a week later, there is another problem. I’m not even going to discuss the oil consumption on this vehicle. This would be the first vehicle that I trade. I normally keep all my vehicles to give to a family member. This vehicle will be traded in. I will never purchase a Chevrolet. I HATE THIS VEHICLE!!!

Original review: April 20, 2020

I bought a 2010 Chevy Equinox in August of 2019. I have put on 6,000 miles. The timing chain went out and crippled the motor. Needless to say they are unwilling to fix the problem, even though lawsuits are there.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

My husband and I each purchased a 2020 Equinox in December 2019. In the less than two months that we have had them, we have already had MAJOR issues with them. My husband was locked IN his car with our 6 year old inside. He had to put the window down and open the door from the outside. The fan stayed on after the car was shut off and the check engine light was on. Nothing was “able to be done” to fix this issue.

I am currently sitting home unable to get to work because mine will not run. It turns over multiple times, starts, and then immediately turns off. Onstar says it is a transmission problem and needs to be serviced within a day. I am currently 5 months pregnant and stranded because of this. What happens if there is an emergency and I need to go get my 6 year old or something with myself that requires immediate attention? Both of these cars are BRAND NEW. Less than 2,000 miles on each. This is completely and totally unacceptable.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

We bought a 2011 Chevrolet Equinox. Shortly after buying the vehicle it would stall. The last time it stalled was 70 miles from home, on the interstate doing 65, at night in a snow storm. Had to have it towed home and spent money to have the timing chain fixed. Now we have used 10 quarts of oil in 4000 miles. There is a class action lawsuit to get Chevrolet to fix a defect in the engine. The lawsuit covers a vehicle for 7 years 6 months. We bought it at 7 years 10 months and the Chevrolet Dealership owned by HomeRun Auto Group didn't fix it before we bought it and the Chevrolet Corp says they are not forced to fix it outside of the lawsuit and they pretty much don't care about the defects unless there is a recall. Research it. There are a lot of people with the oil usage consumption problem. It will cost $4000+ to fix on a vehicle only worth $5000. Buy a Ford from a reputable dealer.

Original review: Dec. 1, 2019

I purchased a 2013 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ 6yrs ago, and still love it! The dealership was absolutely wonderful and helped me out with the 1 and only recall I've ever had on this vehicle. The Chevrolet service department keeps my Equinox in top shape so it runs perfectly and I have never had any major mechanical issues. Despite what some people may think of Chevrolet, this company builds great dependable cars. It was a more expensive model than I had planned for, but in the long run with all the extra safety features I'm extremely happy I purchased it!

Chevrolet Equinox Company Information