3.57/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Chevrolet Equinox

The Chevrolet Equinox is a roomy compact SUV that was first introduced in 2005. Read more Chevrolet reviews to learn about other models.

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

38 Chevrolet Equinox Consumer Reviews

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

My 2011 Chevrolet Equinox with 115,000 miles had catastrophic engine failure in August of 2019 due to oil consumption issues that GM and Chevrolet knew about as early as 2017 due to a class action lawsuit. Had Chevrolet told its customers about this issue I could have prevented the engine malfunction and still had a car that should have lasted at least another year or two. I reported this to Chevrolet Corporate to discuss options for them to remediate the situation. As I am a repeat and loyal customer, owning several Chevy vehicles, I asked that they offer me some sort of money towards the purchase of a vehicle to continue my relationship with Chevy as prior to the engine issue, the trade-in value would've been $4000-$5000.

I was told that my case went to the highest level of review with senior advisor, Jonathon. He was supposed to contact me on a Friday, he didn't call until the following Tuesday and didn't leave a message so I didn't even know he called. I was informed that he called when I followed up. I left 3 messages on his voicemail and left several more with others answering the phones. One person even left Jonathon a message and copied it to his supervisor. The following Friday I still have not received a call. Besides the poorly made vehicle, lack of information about faulty parts being communicated to customers, the service I received was awful. I will be purchasing a different make of vehicle and will no longer be doing business with Chevrolet and I recommend that others avoid them as well since they do not care about their customers.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

By far without a doubt the absolute worst customer service I have ever encountered in 50 years!!!! If you’re thinking about buying a General Motors vehicle, I would think long and hard before you purchase. I learned the hard way. Customer service is everything on a purchase. General Motors does not have any. Mind blowing that a company as large as this just doesn’t care about the consumer. Vehicle is not safe!!! 2019 Equinox 3000 miles. General motors doesn’t care and won’t acknowledge problem. They are blaming road commission for roads being built wrong. Don’t have any problems with any other vehicles I take down these roads. Watch and see. This will become a recall as soon as a few people lose their lives. OWN UP GM!!!

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

I bought my 2012 Equinox used. (2.4L engine.) I was not made aware and did not know that there was a problem with the oil consumption on this vehicle. I guess that’s my fault for not researching the car before purchasing it. However, Chevy made promises they will not keep even though all calls are on a recorded line and they can go back and see what was promised to me. My Equinox has been at the garage for a month now because they are going back on their word.

Due to the oil consumption my engine went which will be around a $5,000 fix five or take a few hundred either way. Chevy now is going back on their word as to paying for the diagnostic on the vehicle. Lord knows if they are doing that then they probably won’t help pay to have it fixed. I did receive a letter in the mail regarding a class action lawsuit against Chevy regarding this matter. That there tells me all I need to know. I WILL NEVER SUGGEST TO ANYONE TO BUY FROM CHEVROLET!!! HORRIBLE!! THEY DON’T STAND BY THEIR WORD!!!

Original review: July 5, 2019

Hi All, I bought Chevy Equinox 1.5 LT 2019 4 weeks ago and I had an issue with the noise when you start the car and during the driving, the weird sound is coming from the shift area and I was shown to service care and they said this is the sound for all chevy 2019, it comes from this area and it is normal. I am writing this review just because I am not satisfied with this 2019 car, I love this car but I am not happy. I had travel 3000 KM with this car and in all the times I have to put my hand on top of the gear to hide the noise. This is not faring answer for my issue and I will check all chevy 2019 1.5 LT in all branches in near me and if I found this is not just for me then this means the noise is so weird as I told on top. The technician said, "Yes I can hear this noise." and it is so weird for him too.

Original review: July 3, 2019

I bought a 2019 Equinox new and my brother bought one at the same time. Two new cars with the same issue chemical smell coming out of vents with a/c on. I called my dealer no problems that they know of. Today I took the car to the dealer, they called and surprisingly, there is a bulletin on the issue. So there must be a hell of a lot of other people having the same issue. I need to hear about your concerns. They said there is a problem with afterflow enabling whatever that is. 4410315 must be the service bulletin. How do you see it. Also they did olh odor correction. The smell is still there when the car goes to auto shutoff, when the car comes back on the chemical smell comes back. What do you think. Thank you.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chevrolet Equinox?

Original review: June 26, 2019

I purchased a 2019 Equinox LT in October 2018. I had the car a few months and the dashboard started rattling. At first, once in a while, then, all the time. The rattling drives me crazy. The car is loud inside like an old truck. There is hissing coming from the radio and vent area, hissing on the driver's side floor, hissing sound like it is under the console, wind sound as if a window is open, knocking sound on the left side of dashboard, hard dragging when I brake, a motor like running sound in the door across from the steering wheel. The radio blacked out while I was driving and came back on after a while. Mechanic said I need a new gear shift and ordered the part. He said the rattle was coming from under the hood and called himself fixing it.

When I got the car back, it was still rattling. Just recently, the radio started making a loud blaring noise and it continued for almost 4 minutes; I recorded it because I could not stop it. The hood of the car has several lines in the recessed section that won't come off when washed. I got out of the car, left it running, and heard loud hissing noises coming from the back tire area. I am afraid to drive this car any distance because there is always a new problem. Most of the time I leave it in my garage. It only has 3400 miles on it. I would like to enjoy a new car, but not with this Equinox.

Original review: June 11, 2019

I drove my brand new Chevrolet Equinox off the lot 5/30/19. The car is a company vehicle ordered to my specifications. I drove it somewhere between 20-25 miles and while I was at a stop, I went to pull from it and the accelerator wouldn’t work... the street the engine light came on. I floored it and it barely accelerated, and finally got up to speed. This proceeded to happen and I tried to contact the dealer to see what I should do, and he recommended bringing it in for service.

My coworker had a similar incident happen to her vehicle and I called to see what the problem was and what the resolution was. She advised that there was a clip that was popping off and it would cause the vehicle to lose the ability to accelerate. I was able to reconnect it before driving home. I brought the vehicle in to the local dealer the next day and shared what the issue was, and he said that it would be fixed in a couple of hours. I told him the turbo Inlet pipe was off and a clip was missing. Told him my coworker had the same issue and he needed to order a Charge Air Tube Retainer Kit.. and it still hasn’t been resolved. Here we are 6/11/19 and still no car.

Why did the Chevrolet factory even send the vehicle if this is not an isolated complaint. They should recall for repair as I could have been in a very serious accident. It’s dangerous if you pull into traffic thinking you’re going to be able to go with the flow of traffic, and all of a sudden it feels like the engine is shutting down. Unbelievable.

Original review: June 3, 2019

2013 Equinox (2.4L, 71780 miles) rear main seal blew out last January during cold snap. Mechanic said PVC system was clogged and that caused the rear main seal to fail. GM had extended warranty for this but not for my VIN. Cost me $2300. GM refuses to help. GM dealer and GM customer service told me that although warranty was extended to 100,000 mi. for 2013 Equinox, it did not apply to my VIN even though it is the identical problem/issue. Does not make sense.

Original review: May 30, 2019

Purchased a Equinox in February 2019. It has 1,144 miles on it. Died in the middle of traffic nearly causing a major accident over Memorial Day Holiday. Engine/Transmission malfunction. Engine Power Low alert/Service engine soon alert. Reeked of gasoline. It was towed to Dan Tobin Chevrolet. The replacement part on back order, indefinitely. Their repair entailed reattaching the broken part. They ordered the replacement part and will notify me once in. The assistance manager, Gregg, refused to provide a loaner and declared the car repaired. This individual verbally assaulted me and physically came at me multiple times because I talk back and refuse to settle for lies and bully behavior.

He attempted to use various methods of intimidation because I pressed the issue that a loaner should ethically be provided, he’s had more than a day to secure a vehicle for me and lemon laws likely apply here. A separate employee made inappropriate sexual gestures toward me then called me a ** when I declined. Called the complaint line, while on the line, the supervisor, Jeff **, approached me and undermined everything that just happened saying it wasn’t important. He laughed and my situation. When I asked why he was laughing, he said “maybe I’m just a happy guy.” The GM complaint rep told me to file a police report and that she had concerns for my safety, which I did.

The car is still not operating properly, has not been repaired properly, does not accelerate, still smells like gasoline, is unsafe, and could pose a threat to my life. GM complaint specialist has been trying to find a dealership that will provide a loaner, do another evaluation on the car or maybe tow it. None in a 100 mile radius will accommodate except for one. But GM is not willing to pay to have the vehicle towed there. I have emailed multiple supervisors and executives. No response. I have missed two days of work with no resolution in sight. I submitted a complaint against BBB. I have IM the manufacturer. I have been black balled by this company. Lemon laws may apply.

Original review: April 25, 2019

I like the Auto. It was always a reliable vehicle for me. I owned a 2009. Only thing I had repaired was a plastic vacuum canister location on bottom of vehicle under passenger seat. I figure a rock took it out and cracked it. Complaint would be at 50,000 miles. I had a tragic accident where vehicle flew thru air and rolled 3 times end over end and rolled 6 times sideways. My wife was killed and I was hurt bad and none of the Airbags went off.

Chevrolet Equinox Company Information