3.17/5
Based on 24 reviews that contain star ratings

Auto Warranty Expired?

Chevrolet Equinox

The Chevrolet Equinox is a roomy compact SUV that was first introduced in 2005. Read more Chevrolet reviews to learn about other models.

24 Chevrolet Equinox Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I love my 2005 Chevy Equinox and I like the ride and comfort. I like the rear plug in for charging things and the cup holders in front and back. But, I’m unhappy at the moment. It’s been overheating, and from reading online, it's popular with this brand. Can't figure out what's wrong with it and not having an outside temperature gauge and that is terribly frustrating. Putting money into it with no good results. I would also love to have heated seats and a heated steering wheel. I wouldn't mind having a computer for radio and GPS, too.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I having a bad experience with GMC. I bought in April this year a brand new Equinox 2018 but, in June 23rd my car broke (with 1,000 miles) and, my car still stopped at dealership to fix it (39 days). In the last update told me that the engineer is working on that!!! I did ask to GMC to give me my money back but, they are not listening me... The only answer that I have it's, "Sorry sir the engineer is working in your car..." I don't wanna stay with this car anymore!!! 39 days... Unbelievable.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I have had the best time in this Chevrolet Equinox, it is smooth driving and provides plenty of space for my family. The seat are most comfortable because of the way they are made, they are like bucket of comforts. I like the anti-lock brakes, the self-cleaning windows, and the air bags on the passenger side too. My children love to be driven in the car and that is a plus for our family. However, I dislike the color of my car because I wanted a different color when I was buying it but did not want to wait for it to be ordered. So I bought what I could.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I am very pleased with this Chevy Equinox and like that my cell phone is paired with the car, it's safer than picking up the cell phone. It's easy to get in and out of and has ample room inside. It's also easy to get things in and out of. The GPS is a lifesaver since I don't have a good sense of direction. I wish the back access door in the back opened and closed automatically though.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

The experience I have had with my Chevrolet Equinox has been a very positive one. There has been no major problem with the Chevrolet Equinox and it is now 10 years old. It is the most comfortable car in which I have driven. It gets decent gas mileage, has a great, roomy, and comfortable interior and the exterior is very sleek and stylish. The features that I like about the Chevrolet Equinox is the built-in OnStar and the quiet engine. Whenever it is time to purchase another new vehicle, the Chevrolet Equinox is at the top of the list based on how pleased we are with our current Chevrolet Equinox.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chevrolet Equinox?

Original review: July 30, 2018

Terrible buy and wouldn't buy again. This particular model year is known to have an engine that consumes excessive oil and has sat for months waiting on a rebuild. The dealership did not mention this when buying and this issue should be covered by warranty... Lo and behold, it is not. The look of the exterior though is sleek and the interior is luxe and roomy. It is black on both the inside and out, with leather trim and individual media viewing screens for the rear passengers. My son is over 6 feet tall and fits comfortably in the backseat whereas he doesn't fit so well in some trucks. There is a blind spot in the rear seating area. If they used a tinted glass, it would still have the same aesthetic but be safer overall for the driver so the vision is not obstructed.

Original review: July 25, 2018

It's been a good experience. Chevrolet Equinox comes loaded with lots of safety features like backup camera, reverse alerts and even a backseat alert which is super useful. The safety features and heated seats are my personal favorites but the seat folding out to have a lot more cargo room. The trunk opening with your key or a button is really nice and also the keyless start. Has satellite radio OnStar hookups galore too.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I love my Chevrolet Equinox. Has Bluetooth and heated leather seats. OnStar comes with it for a trial run. I was looking for a car with these options and found this one. I almost bought a Jeep Cherokee but didn't like the color. I had it narrowed down to the two options. I wish it had a place for my sunglasses to sit and I wish it was 4wd though. I also had an instance where I started it and the radio screen or sound would not come on! Ugh. But it has low miles and it rides very comfortable.

Original review: July 5, 2018

Not to mentioned being overcharged for this Chevrolet car but it was 24000. By the time I finish paying it it will be costing me over $40000. A woman should never go alone to purchase a car.

Original review: May 18, 2018

Had an Equinox-Chevy 011, 013, now a 016. Great gas mpg, comfortable, storage area good, mt climbing good, pick-up accelerations need more power, looks great, dependable. Would buy again.

Original review: May 17, 2018

I love the Equinox. This is my second one. It is easy to drive. I love that the rear seat is movable. It's great for older people too. Easy to get in and out makes or easy to get groceries in and out.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I purchased my Chevrolet Equinox used, but it only had 20,000 miles on it. I really love driving it. The seats are VERY comfortable, (found out on a trip that was 1,800 miles one way.) I haven't had to make any 'pricey' repairs on it... yet, and I've got around 45,000 miles on it. I have only taken it in for the oil changes. I rated the value at a 4 only because these cars drop in value the minute you drive them off the lot. I rated performance as a 4 because of winter driving. I have seasonal radials on it now, but I think for next winter I'll be putting snow tires on it, but it IS a great car!

Original review: May 4, 2018

The Chevrolet Equinox LE is an excellent vehicle in all areas including but not prohibited to OnStar the new Chevrolet attachment. It is all of the above and then some, easy ride, lots of space and comfort, seats comfort your body front and back, drives like a dream, handles fantastically and is right on when you need it. It is an amazing vehicle, and it holds its value better than any vehicle we have ever owned. Even after three years of use its value remains high both for trade in and outward sale. It's our choice for present and future, love this SUV.

Original review: May 2, 2018

My 2013 Chevy Equinox blows the rear main seal at 61300 miles, known issue on GM 2.4 engines, of course when you look up a TSB ** your vin is not covered, what a surprise. Stay away from GM 2.4 liter anything.

Original review: April 29, 2018

The 2014 Chevy Equinox ltz gives us what we expected. Gas mileage, comfort, reliability (98000 miles), and all the important features. The safety features, such as the warning systems have operated when we needed them (car slamming on breaks in front of us). The dealership has been very helpful.

Original review: April 29, 2018

My biggest disappointment was getting in my new car and trying to find the CD player. Alas, there is none. They won't even put one into the car. I have had to transfer my choir CDs to Mp3 player, use a small CDE player which is inadequate, or my phone which I have yet to be able to download the music to. If I had it to do over, I would not have bought this Chevy Equinox. Our other Chevy broke down when we were on vacation and we chose this one not thinking it wouldn't have a CD player.

Original review: April 18, 2018

Just under 5 years the airbag light came on out of nowhere on my Chevrolet Equinox and it cost 105.00 at Staffalinnos just to diagnose the problem. And although I bought the extended warranty plus the supposed 5 year warranty they said I had a short in my passenger presence module and it was not covered and would be 656.00 plus tax. I called Chevrolet and they will pay 262.40 of the bill.

Original review: March 13, 2018

Be very careful if interested in a new Chevy Equinox. I had a 2013 and never ever had a mechanical problem. But, my 2018 (purchased in Dec 2017) bucks, shakes/ vibrates sometimes when driven at low steady speeds. The dealership agreed with the problem and checked 3 more cars on the lot and they did the same. But, no corrective measures were taken because the COMPUTER did not create an error report. Just saying- test drive them carefully and check that low and steady (20 to 30 MPH) speed.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

I have a 2012 Equinox I was driving and the oil spilled all over the street and the car cut off. Took it to the dealership they said the rear main seal blew apart from condensation. I've only had this car since June of this year so 7 months. But and my first oil change they told me I had a slight oil leak but they couldn't tell where it was coming from. On the second floor and changed they said I had a slight oil leak but it's a little worse than the first time. On the third oil change at a different place they told me the oil was leaking and they did not know where it was coming from so now I know the real name.

Seal was broken when I first got the car and that's what was leaking the oil but now it's my fault and I have to change the engine because the powertrain was expired when I bought it. In the extended warranty States they will change the engine only if the engine failed on its own but since the real rear seal popped and shards of metal went inside the engine from it poppin' I have to change the engine because the main rear main seal isn't covered on warranty. This is my first Chevy and after 7 months I know I will never get one again. Ford all the way.

Original review: Aug. 30, 2017

The Equinox would be a decent family vehicle, but it has no vents in the second row which is uncomfortable in the summer heat for backseat passengers, especially children buckled into a molded, covered plastic child seat directly behind the passenger or driver seat, dependent on the direction of air flow from the vents in the dashboard which are the ONLY vents in the car. This is not a sedan; it is a much larger vehicle that takes time for the air to circulate to the back seat, and even then it is not directly toward the back passengers who are seated directly behind the front seats. That said, the Equinox 4-cylinder gives excellent gas mileage and a good linear ride on the highway.

Original review: June 30, 2017

I purchased my Chevrolet Equinox 2012 on 05-29-2015 from Chevrolet of Spartanburg in Spartanburg, South Carolina. I took it back to the dealer the next day during the lemon law period in South Carolina. I expressed a concern that rain was coming in from the outside when it rained. They stated they could not find any issue and I probably left a window or my sunroof open (even though I'm pretty good about closing them). I am living in a different state for the summer and it constantly rains. My floor boards of my driver and passenger side has been flooded. I expressed my concern with a dealership in my current local area and they expressed they do not handle my particular issue and an outside contractor comes in for the work. I called the contractor and he couldn't get me in until the following week.

While waiting for that week to approach I contacted Chevrolet Customer Service Department. There was a case created and when I called back I spoke to an RJ who was very rude and would not allow me to speak with a manager. He stated that one would call me back and I never heard anything back from one. I called once more and the agent stated because it's out of warranty it's not likely I will get a reimbursement. She stated that she escalated the situation, but I do not have faith in this company to do the right thing by its customers. Upon reviewing my car there was a total of $350 in charges for water coming from a missing drain in the sunroof and of course it is now out of warranty. Also while reviewing that issue he uncovered another stating that it looks like an A-Pillar was cut and is an extreme safety hazard and there were also visor retainers missing.

The mechanic expressed to me the only way to miss these details is if the person was not trained and/or did not care about the vehicle. Below is an image I was able to get stating that my vehicle was touched by Chevrolet within warranty and their mechanics supposedly fixed the head trim where the problem occurred. My father is a mechanic and he told me there is no way that a hose would shorten within two years because it should last a lifetime of the vehicle. I no longer feel safe in my vehicle, but this is my only means of transportation.

Original review: June 22, 2017

Chevrolet customer service is deplorable. I had an ignition lock recall on my 2005 Equinox. It was replaced 3 times. Still had issues. On the 4th time at the dealership, I was told it was fine but the key was bent, so they made new key and charged me. The 5th time, the problem was the housing that holds the ignition lock in place. I was now told the recall was not a recall but a special policy. Since the policy does not outline the housing in it, it is not covered.

I checked with an auto parts place and asked if the housing would wear out due to a bad ignition lock and they said that would be the only reason a housing would wear out. I took this information back and said that I felt due to the faulty initial part, that caused the new problem. I again was told that there was nothing they could do. Then, I began a long process of dealing with the Chevrolet customer service. Everyone was very friendly, but they still did nothing. I would never buy a GM product ever again! I am out the money and more than that, I have zero confidence that the problem is solved. My guess is that I will always deal with ignition issues.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2017

A friend of mine told me I should contact ConsumerAffairs about all the issues I've been having with my 2010 CHEV EQUINOX. At this point I don't feel safe driving the vehicle because of the numerous recalls and manifold/motor replacements since I purchased it a few years back. The local GMC dealership in Sydney NS refuses to help me any longer with reoccurring exhaust/manifold issues that has been addressed many times in the past. It now produces a very bad sour smell inside my car especially when warming it up and I'm afraid that even if I replace it at my own cost ($1200 + estimate parts and labor), it will happen again.

I have to drive my wife to work every day. This is winter and I have to open the windows which is not an ideal situation in Feb! A couple of mechanic friends of mine said that GM never really figured out the proper fitting/issue with the manifold. It keeps overheating or something and warps causing it to leak exhaust into the vehicle... Unsafe conditions for me and my family!!

I have called GM Client Care regarding getting it fixed properly recently in Jan 2017 but after speaking with higher-ups, apparently it's like 10K over the emissions warranty. By the way, the service manager at the local GM dealership in Sydney said I was within the emissions warranty that would expire at 190K (right now it's at 140K), and he would try to get the manifold replaced if the catalytic converter, which connects to the manifold, was gone... Apparently the catalytic converter is not gone so the work will not be covered? It's all really confusing at this point. I am stuck with another year and a half of payments at $175 biweekly, very costly to me, and I seem to be driving an unsafe vehicle and no one will help. I mean this vehicle is a 2010 and as it stands, never had a chance right out of the blocks... Too many issues to mention, although I've listed many below.

I'm hoping you can help or point me in the right direction to either getting this manifold and associated parts fixed or get the vehicle recalled altogether and a have them replace it with something of equal value... Or give me the Blue Book value ($11,000 roughly) and I would buy a brand new vehicle from GM, or whoever. Like I said I'm not sure what to do. I just really want it fixed, but I'll take anything that is fair at this point.

My brief maintenance history. 50, 000 kilometers - motor replaced, 75,000 kilometers - manifold and O2 Sensor replaced, 110,000 kilometers - manifold and O2 Sensor replaced again, 140,000 kilometers - manifold and O2 Sensor needs replacing again. Since 2012 I have been sent over a dozen recall notices from exhaust, excessive oil consumption, rough starting, to wiper motor replaces, to rust on the driver doors, etc, etc.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2017

Having a warranty on a Chevy is joke, My engine locked up on my 2013 Chevy Equinox. I had all my service that showed I took car of all my scheduled maintenance. But they would not fix the problem, also they acted like they investigated it but they didn't. They couldn't even tell me when the last time I had an oil change.

Chevrolet Equinox Company Information