Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
3.58/5

Chevrolet Equinox

The Chevrolet Equinox is a roomy compact SUV that was first introduced in 2005. Read more Chevrolet reviews to learn about other models.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

35 Chevrolet Equinox Consumer Reviews

Original review: July 3, 2019

I bought a 2019 Equinox new and my brother bought one at the same time. Two new cars with the same issue chemical smell coming out of vents with a/c on. I called my dealer no problems that they know of. Today I took the car to the dealer, they called and surprisingly, there is a bulletin on the issue. So there must be a hell of a lot of other people having the same issue. I need to hear about your concerns. They said there is a problem with afterflow enabling whatever that is. 4410315 must be the service bulletin. How do you see it. Also they did olh odor correction. The smell is still there when the car goes to auto shutoff, when the car comes back on the chemical smell comes back. What do you think. Thank you.

Original review: April 25, 2019

I like the Auto. It was always a reliable vehicle for me. I owned a 2009. Only thing I had repaired was a plastic vacuum canister location on bottom of vehicle under passenger seat. I figure a rock took it out and cracked it. Complaint would be at 50,000 miles. I had a tragic accident where vehicle flew thru air and rolled 3 times end over end and rolled 6 times sideways. My wife was killed and I was hurt bad and none of the Airbags went off.

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I have had the best time in this Chevrolet Equinox, it is smooth driving and provides plenty of space for my family. The seat are most comfortable because of the way they are made, they are like bucket of comforts. I like the anti-lock brakes, the self-cleaning windows, and the air bags on the passenger side too. My children love to be driven in the car and that is a plus for our family. However, I dislike the color of my car because I wanted a different color when I was buying it but did not want to wait for it to be ordered. So I bought what I could.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

The experience I have had with my Chevrolet Equinox has been a very positive one. There has been no major problem with the Chevrolet Equinox and it is now 10 years old. It is the most comfortable car in which I have driven. It gets decent gas mileage, has a great, roomy, and comfortable interior and the exterior is very sleek and stylish. The features that I like about the Chevrolet Equinox is the built-in OnStar and the quiet engine. Whenever it is time to purchase another new vehicle, the Chevrolet Equinox is at the top of the list based on how pleased we are with our current Chevrolet Equinox.

Original review: July 24, 2018

I love my Chevrolet Equinox. Has Bluetooth and heated leather seats. OnStar comes with it for a trial run. I was looking for a car with these options and found this one. I almost bought a Jeep Cherokee but didn't like the color. I had it narrowed down to the two options. I wish it had a place for my sunglasses to sit and I wish it was 4wd though. I also had an instance where I started it and the radio screen or sound would not come on! Ugh. But it has low miles and it rides very comfortable.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chevrolet Equinox?

Original review: July 5, 2019

Hi All, I bought Chevy Equinox 1.5 LT 2019 4 weeks ago and I had an issue with the noise when you start the car and during the driving, the weird sound is coming from the shift area and I was shown to service care and they said this is the sound for all chevy 2019, it comes from this area and it is normal. I am writing this review just because I am not satisfied with this 2019 car, I love this car but I am not happy. I had travel 3000 KM with this car and in all the times I have to put my hand on top of the gear to hide the noise. This is not faring answer for my issue and I will check all chevy 2019 1.5 LT in all branches in near me and if I found this is not just for me then this means the noise is so weird as I told on top. The technician said, "Yes I can hear this noise." and it is so weird for him too.

Original review: June 26, 2019

I purchased a 2019 Equinox LT in October 2018. I had the car a few months and the dashboard started rattling. At first, once in a while, then, all the time. The rattling drives me crazy. The car is loud inside like an old truck. There is hissing coming from the radio and vent area, hissing on the driver's side floor, hissing sound like it is under the console, wind sound as if a window is open, knocking sound on the left side of dashboard, hard dragging when I brake, a motor like running sound in the door across from the steering wheel. The radio blacked out while I was driving and came back on after a while. Mechanic said I need a new gear shift and ordered the part. He said the rattle was coming from under the hood and called himself fixing it.

When I got the car back, it was still rattling. Just recently, the radio started making a loud blaring noise and it continued for almost 4 minutes; I recorded it because I could not stop it. The hood of the car has several lines in the recessed section that won't come off when washed. I got out of the car, left it running, and heard loud hissing noises coming from the back tire area. I am afraid to drive this car any distance because there is always a new problem. Most of the time I leave it in my garage. It only has 3400 miles on it. I would like to enjoy a new car, but not with this Equinox.

Original review: June 11, 2019

I drove my brand new Chevrolet Equinox off the lot 5/30/19. The car is a company vehicle ordered to my specifications. I drove it somewhere between 20-25 miles and while I was at a stop, I went to pull from it and the accelerator wouldn’t work... the street the engine light came on. I floored it and it barely accelerated, and finally got up to speed. This proceeded to happen and I tried to contact the dealer to see what I should do, and he recommended bringing it in for service.

My coworker had a similar incident happen to her vehicle and I called to see what the problem was and what the resolution was. She advised that there was a clip that was popping off and it would cause the vehicle to lose the ability to accelerate. I was able to reconnect it before driving home. I brought the vehicle in to the local dealer the next day and shared what the issue was, and he said that it would be fixed in a couple of hours. I told him the turbo Inlet pipe was off and a clip was missing. Told him my coworker had the same issue and he needed to order a Charge Air Tube Retainer Kit.. and it still hasn’t been resolved. Here we are 6/11/19 and still no car.

Why did the Chevrolet factory even send the vehicle if this is not an isolated complaint. They should recall for repair as I could have been in a very serious accident. It’s dangerous if you pull into traffic thinking you’re going to be able to go with the flow of traffic, and all of a sudden it feels like the engine is shutting down. Unbelievable.

Original review: June 3, 2019

2013 Equinox (2.4L, 71780 miles) rear main seal blew out last January during cold snap. Mechanic said PVC system was clogged and that caused the rear main seal to fail. GM had extended warranty for this but not for my VIN. Cost me $2300. GM refuses to help. GM dealer and GM customer service told me that although warranty was extended to 100,000 mi. for 2013 Equinox, it did not apply to my VIN even though it is the identical problem/issue. Does not make sense.

Original review: May 30, 2019

Purchased a Equinox in February 2019. It has 1,144 miles on it. Died in the middle of traffic nearly causing a major accident over Memorial Day Holiday. Engine/Transmission malfunction. Engine Power Low alert/Service engine soon alert. Reeked of gasoline. It was towed to Dan Tobin Chevrolet. The replacement part on back order, indefinitely. Their repair entailed reattaching the broken part. They ordered the replacement part and will notify me once in. The assistance manager, Gregg, refused to provide a loaner and declared the car repaired. This individual verbally assaulted me and physically came at me multiple times because I talk back and refuse to settle for lies and bully behavior.

He attempted to use various methods of intimidation because I pressed the issue that a loaner should ethically be provided, he’s had more than a day to secure a vehicle for me and lemon laws likely apply here. A separate employee made inappropriate sexual gestures toward me then called me a ** when I declined. Called the complaint line, while on the line, the supervisor, Jeff **, approached me and undermined everything that just happened saying it wasn’t important. He laughed and my situation. When I asked why he was laughing, he said “maybe I’m just a happy guy.” The GM complaint rep told me to file a police report and that she had concerns for my safety, which I did.

The car is still not operating properly, has not been repaired properly, does not accelerate, still smells like gasoline, is unsafe, and could pose a threat to my life. GM complaint specialist has been trying to find a dealership that will provide a loaner, do another evaluation on the car or maybe tow it. None in a 100 mile radius will accommodate except for one. But GM is not willing to pay to have the vehicle towed there. I have emailed multiple supervisors and executives. No response. I have missed two days of work with no resolution in sight. I submitted a complaint against BBB. I have IM the manufacturer. I have been black balled by this company. Lemon laws may apply.

Original review: April 24, 2019

I feature was not explained by the salesman nor did the vehicle I test drove shut off during the rural test drive. The Auto Stop feature on my new 2019 Equinox is a poorly thought out way to save a minuscule amount of fuel. Our new Equinox did not come with an override button for this feature therefore there's no way to shut it off. The vehicle shuts down every time the brake is applied and held for a few seconds. This is outrageously annoying at every traffic light. The engine shuts down when the AC is engaged making start ups very hard on the starter not to mention a strain on the electrical system....and the AC is blowing warm air when the compressor stops turning. The manual says it comes with a heavy duty starter to make up for all the extra starts. I find that very hard to believe. GM builds obsolescence into their vehicles or they would go out of business.

It's also a safety hazard in my opinion to be sitting still in stop & go traffic with a car that keeps re-starting every 20 seconds. There is a delay from the time you take your foot off the brake till the engine restarts and begins to move...very infuriating and very dangerous! This is the DUMBEST feature I've ever seen on a car. If I had know this system existed and functioned the way it does, I would have never purchased this vehicle. Shame on Chevrolet for installing this ridiculous feature without a way to disable it. Shame on Chevrolet for not having a fix for this poorly designed system!

Original review: March 18, 2019

While driving at a low speed, my wife heard an abnormal noise coming from the engine. The vehicle quit while in gear and she coasted to a stop. She and I could not get re-started. I had it towed to a mechanic where I live, where it was diagnosed that there was a loss of engine oil and a stretched timing chain with broken guides. There were no warning lights that turned on referencing low oil and the oil level has been good until now with mileage at 70,800. Oil changes were performed at the recommended intervals. Mechanic did a pressure test and found that there was damage to the valves and they needed to be sent out to be repaired. All at a cost of $3100, of which I do not have. I've also had to rent a car for 3 weeks and it will be an additional 10 days before it is completely fixed.

Reading all the issues with the timing chain causing engine or rear seal failures is unbelievably high imop, being a manufacturer myself. What astonishes me is that there is no recall for an apparent design and manufacturing problem. However, since death is not a result of the failure, Chevrolet has yet to announce a recall and make their customers pay for their mistakes to save money. Have driven Chryslers and Toyotas over 250,000 miles and never had an issue like this. My first car was a Chevy Camaro and unfortunately this equinox will be my last ever Chevy purchase.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

2017 Equinox and the fuel pump is already out. 37,000 miles and I’m billed 900 to fix it already. Wondering if others have had similar issues? Have had previous Equinoxes and good luck. Thinking I just got a part that was a lemon. I did contact GM so we’ll see where that takes me.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2019

Overall this has been an enjoyable vehicle. I bought it new, and have had it over six years. But, there have been a pair of engine issues with its 2.4L engine that all considering this car should be aware of. At about 65k the engine was rebuilt from the pistons “up” due to oil consumption, under warranty. This would have been $2500 without the warranty. At 107K the pcr valve “froze” and the build-up of pressure in the engine caused the rear main seal to blow out, causing most of the oil to leak out quickly while driving. It almost stopped dead. So, good car, but be very aware of the history of common problems with the 2.4L engines. I believe in 2018 they stopped using the 2.4L in Equinoxes. $1400 for the rear main at the dealer, and my VIN was included in the “special warranty”. I’m still trying to get some coverage from GM and the dealer.

Original review: Aug. 8, 2018

I love my 2005 Chevy Equinox and I like the ride and comfort. I like the rear plug in for charging things and the cup holders in front and back. But, I’m unhappy at the moment. It’s been overheating, and from reading online, it's popular with this brand. Can't figure out what's wrong with it and not having an outside temperature gauge and that is terribly frustrating. Putting money into it with no good results. I would also love to have heated seats and a heated steering wheel. I wouldn't mind having a computer for radio and GPS, too.

Original review: Aug. 3, 2018

I having a bad experience with GMC. I bought in April this year a brand new Equinox 2018 but, in June 23rd my car broke (with 1,000 miles) and, my car still stopped at dealership to fix it (39 days). In the last update told me that the engineer is working on that!!! I did ask to GMC to give me my money back but, they are not listening me... The only answer that I have it's, "Sorry sir the engineer is working in your car..." I don't wanna stay with this car anymore!!! 39 days... Unbelievable.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

I am very pleased with this Chevy Equinox and like that my cell phone is paired with the car, it's safer than picking up the cell phone. It's easy to get in and out of and has ample room inside. It's also easy to get things in and out of. The GPS is a lifesaver since I don't have a good sense of direction. I wish the back access door in the back opened and closed automatically though.

Original review: July 30, 2018

Terrible buy and wouldn't buy again. This particular model year is known to have an engine that consumes excessive oil and has sat for months waiting on a rebuild. The dealership did not mention this when buying and this issue should be covered by warranty... Lo and behold, it is not. The look of the exterior though is sleek and the interior is luxe and roomy. It is black on both the inside and out, with leather trim and individual media viewing screens for the rear passengers. My son is over 6 feet tall and fits comfortably in the backseat whereas he doesn't fit so well in some trucks. There is a blind spot in the rear seating area. If they used a tinted glass, it would still have the same aesthetic but be safer overall for the driver so the vision is not obstructed.

Original review: July 25, 2018

It's been a good experience. Chevrolet Equinox comes loaded with lots of safety features like backup camera, reverse alerts and even a backseat alert which is super useful. The safety features and heated seats are my personal favorites but the seat folding out to have a lot more cargo room. The trunk opening with your key or a button is really nice and also the keyless start. Has satellite radio OnStar hookups galore too.

Original review: July 5, 2018

Not to mentioned being overcharged for this Chevrolet car but it was 24000. By the time I finish paying it it will be costing me over $40000. A woman should never go alone to purchase a car.

Original review: May 18, 2018

Had an Equinox-Chevy 011, 013, now a 016. Great gas mpg, comfortable, storage area good, mt climbing good, pick-up accelerations need more power, looks great, dependable. Would buy again.

Original review: May 17, 2018

I love the Equinox. This is my second one. It is easy to drive. I love that the rear seat is movable. It's great for older people too. Easy to get in and out makes or easy to get groceries in and out.

Original review: May 9, 2018

I purchased my Chevrolet Equinox used, but it only had 20,000 miles on it. I really love driving it. The seats are VERY comfortable, (found out on a trip that was 1,800 miles one way.) I haven't had to make any 'pricey' repairs on it... yet, and I've got around 45,000 miles on it. I have only taken it in for the oil changes. I rated the value at a 4 only because these cars drop in value the minute you drive them off the lot. I rated performance as a 4 because of winter driving. I have seasonal radials on it now, but I think for next winter I'll be putting snow tires on it, but it IS a great car!

Original review: May 4, 2018

The Chevrolet Equinox LE is an excellent vehicle in all areas including but not prohibited to OnStar the new Chevrolet attachment. It is all of the above and then some, easy ride, lots of space and comfort, seats comfort your body front and back, drives like a dream, handles fantastically and is right on when you need it. It is an amazing vehicle, and it holds its value better than any vehicle we have ever owned. Even after three years of use its value remains high both for trade in and outward sale. It's our choice for present and future, love this SUV.

Original review: May 2, 2018

My 2013 Chevy Equinox blows the rear main seal at 61300 miles, known issue on GM 2.4 engines, of course when you look up a TSB ** your vin is not covered, what a surprise. Stay away from GM 2.4 liter anything.

Original review: April 29, 2018

The 2014 Chevy Equinox ltz gives us what we expected. Gas mileage, comfort, reliability (98000 miles), and all the important features. The safety features, such as the warning systems have operated when we needed them (car slamming on breaks in front of us). The dealership has been very helpful.

Original review: April 29, 2018

My biggest disappointment was getting in my new car and trying to find the CD player. Alas, there is none. They won't even put one into the car. I have had to transfer my choir CDs to Mp3 player, use a small CDE player which is inadequate, or my phone which I have yet to be able to download the music to. If I had it to do over, I would not have bought this Chevy Equinox. Our other Chevy broke down when we were on vacation and we chose this one not thinking it wouldn't have a CD player.

Original review: April 18, 2018

Just under 5 years the airbag light came on out of nowhere on my Chevrolet Equinox and it cost 105.00 at Staffalinnos just to diagnose the problem. And although I bought the extended warranty plus the supposed 5 year warranty they said I had a short in my passenger presence module and it was not covered and would be 656.00 plus tax. I called Chevrolet and they will pay 262.40 of the bill.

Original review: March 13, 2018

Be very careful if interested in a new Chevy Equinox. I had a 2013 and never ever had a mechanical problem. But, my 2018 (purchased in Dec 2017) bucks, shakes/ vibrates sometimes when driven at low steady speeds. The dealership agreed with the problem and checked 3 more cars on the lot and they did the same. But, no corrective measures were taken because the COMPUTER did not create an error report. Just saying- test drive them carefully and check that low and steady (20 to 30 MPH) speed.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2018

I have a 2012 Equinox I was driving and the oil spilled all over the street and the car cut off. Took it to the dealership they said the rear main seal blew apart from condensation. I've only had this car since June of this year so 7 months. But and my first oil change they told me I had a slight oil leak but they couldn't tell where it was coming from. On the second floor and changed they said I had a slight oil leak but it's a little worse than the first time. On the third oil change at a different place they told me the oil was leaking and they did not know where it was coming from so now I know the real name.

Seal was broken when I first got the car and that's what was leaking the oil but now it's my fault and I have to change the engine because the powertrain was expired when I bought it. In the extended warranty States they will change the engine only if the engine failed on its own but since the real rear seal popped and shards of metal went inside the engine from it poppin' I have to change the engine because the main rear main seal isn't covered on warranty. This is my first Chevy and after 7 months I know I will never get one again. Ford all the way.

Chevrolet Equinox Company Information