3.61/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Chevrolet Equinox

The Chevrolet Equinox is a roomy compact SUV that was first introduced in 2005. Read more Chevrolet reviews to learn about other models.

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Chevrolet Equinox Reviews

Original review: Nov. 20, 2019

2017 Equinox Engine Main Seal Failure. November 2019 cold snap in MN: After starting the car to warm it up I noticed oil leaking very bad from engine. I checked the oil level and drove to the dealership 2 miles away. I was informed that due to condensation buildup in the PCV unit, ice had formed and pushed the rear main crank seal out. Over $2400. later I got the car back. The Tech said it was caused because we don't drive long distances, too many short trips. I believe GM should take care of this. I own a 2018 Silverado 1500 and we had just bought another 2019 Equinox. If GM does not take care of this, These will be the last GM vehicles for this family.

Original review: Nov. 11, 2019

My Chevrolet Equinox car battery went dead. No big deal we jump started it and then discovered that the radio said "Locked". We were puzzled as to why but did our research online and found that it is a Chevrolet factory installed "Anti-Theft" feature. OK so we tried what the instructions said to do online to unlock the radio but it did not work. My husband had to call the dealer because nothing worked. The radio continued to display "LOCKED". We were told by the dealer that it would cost $150.00 for the service department to restart the radio. It is pretty amazing that your battery goes dead and your radio, GPS and bluetooth is unusable to begin with... But to have to pay for it to be restarted is insulting to my pocketbook.

Turns out that they could not even restart it. They told us it was broken and we had to pay for an entire new radio. Now, I know the radio was locked because the word "LOCKED" was on the radio display. In the end we not only had to have the entire radio replaced but they went through our insurance and made us pay the deductible of $250.00. This is all because CHEVY INSTALLED AN ANTI THEFT DEVICE THAT IS NOT NEEDED!

If someone had stolen my radio there would be nothing I could do about it. I would have to go through my insurance and pay the same $250.00. However to have the radio "LOCKED" due to a Chevrolet factory installed feature is more than disgusting! It did not benefit me in any way, it did not benefit my insurance company in any way... But Chevrolet got more of my money out of the deal? All I can picture is if this happened on a road trip. When the radio was locked I did not have access to my GPS or bluetooth.... Same on you Chevy! I wonder how many others this has happened to?

Get expert buying tips about Car Models delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2019

August 23, 2019 we purchased a 2019 Equinox Premier in Cincinnati. On Thursday, September 19, traveling at 70 mph on our way to Pittsburgh, there was a loud noise, the car shook, the Equinox suddenly lost power and the motor went into reduced power mode. We crept to a Cracker Barrel parking lot and called OnStar. 2.5 hours later we were towed to dealer near Columbus, OH. There we were told there was a recall notice regarding the charge air cooler tube. We had not been notified.

We were told the car was fixed and continued driving. The same thing happened 2 more times in 4 days, on an interstate, in rush hour traffic. The car sat at a Pittsburgh dealership for 10 days waiting for instructions from GM customer service. We had to pay for a rental car to drive back to Cincinnati. GM told the third dealer to repair the car a third time and then had the car transported back to the Cincinnati dealership on October 4th. The dealer would not negotiate a replacement vehicle, so we drove it home and it is parked in our garage. GM knew in May there was an issue with the charge air cooler tube on certain Equinox engines but sold the cars anyway putting consumers in harm's way. We do not feel safe driving this car and want it replaced. GM customer service has been terrible so we have filed a claim with the Ohio Attorney General’s Office. If there is not a resolution with GM we will get an attorney and file a Lemon Law claim.

Original review: Oct. 12, 2019

We purchased a used 2013 Equinox and had it for about a year before we started having issues. The first issue happened while riding home on the Interstate and the car showed the “check engine” light and within 5 minutes of driving it shut down and I coasted to the side of the highway. Had it towed to dealership and was told the timing chain went out. Luckily we had a warranty on the vehicle and they covered most of everything to have it repaired costing several thousand dollars.

Now 3.5 months later and the “check engine” light came back on. Back in the dealership and they said my catalytic converter failed along with 2 O2 sensors. Went back and forth about warranty paying... By Federal Law the catalytic converter is covered under a warranty but according to them the O2 sensors are not. Kept telling me that they could not salvage the sensors because they were melted to the old converter. Got a call and they somehow managed to salvage the sensors. Which worries me because now I’m afraid they will go out again soon or cause the converter to fail again.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2019

My 2011 Chevrolet Equinox with 115,000 miles had catastrophic engine failure in August of 2019 due to oil consumption issues that GM and Chevrolet knew about as early as 2017 due to a class action lawsuit. Had Chevrolet told its customers about this issue I could have prevented the engine malfunction and still had a car that should have lasted at least another year or two. I reported this to Chevrolet Corporate to discuss options for them to remediate the situation. As I am a repeat and loyal customer, owning several Chevy vehicles, I asked that they offer me some sort of money towards the purchase of a vehicle to continue my relationship with Chevy as prior to the engine issue, the trade-in value would've been $4000-$5000.

I was told that my case went to the highest level of review with senior advisor, Jonathon. He was supposed to contact me on a Friday, he didn't call until the following Tuesday and didn't leave a message so I didn't even know he called. I was informed that he called when I followed up. I left 3 messages on his voicemail and left several more with others answering the phones. One person even left Jonathon a message and copied it to his supervisor. The following Friday I still have not received a call. Besides the poorly made vehicle, lack of information about faulty parts being communicated to customers, the service I received was awful. I will be purchasing a different make of vehicle and will no longer be doing business with Chevrolet and I recommend that others avoid them as well since they do not care about their customers.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Chevrolet Equinox?

Original review: Aug. 3, 2019

By far without a doubt the absolute worst customer service I have ever encountered in 50 years!!!! If you’re thinking about buying a General Motors vehicle, I would think long and hard before you purchase. I learned the hard way. Customer service is everything on a purchase. General Motors does not have any. Mind blowing that a company as large as this just doesn’t care about the consumer. Vehicle is not safe!!! 2019 Equinox 3000 miles. General motors doesn’t care and won’t acknowledge problem. They are blaming road commission for roads being built wrong. Don’t have any problems with any other vehicles I take down these roads. Watch and see. This will become a recall as soon as a few people lose their lives. OWN UP GM!!!

Original review: Aug. 1, 2019

I bought my 2012 Equinox used. (2.4L engine.) I was not made aware and did not know that there was a problem with the oil consumption on this vehicle. I guess that’s my fault for not researching the car before purchasing it. However, Chevy made promises they will not keep even though all calls are on a recorded line and they can go back and see what was promised to me. My Equinox has been at the garage for a month now because they are going back on their word.

Due to the oil consumption my engine went which will be around a $5,000 fix five or take a few hundred either way. Chevy now is going back on their word as to paying for the diagnostic on the vehicle. Lord knows if they are doing that then they probably won’t help pay to have it fixed. I did receive a letter in the mail regarding a class action lawsuit against Chevy regarding this matter. That there tells me all I need to know. I WILL NEVER SUGGEST TO ANYONE TO BUY FROM CHEVROLET!!! HORRIBLE!! THEY DON’T STAND BY THEIR WORD!!!

Original review: July 5, 2019

Hi All, I bought Chevy Equinox 1.5 LT 2019 4 weeks ago and I had an issue with the noise when you start the car and during the driving, the weird sound is coming from the shift area and I was shown to service care and they said this is the sound for all chevy 2019, it comes from this area and it is normal. I am writing this review just because I am not satisfied with this 2019 car, I love this car but I am not happy. I had travel 3000 KM with this car and in all the times I have to put my hand on top of the gear to hide the noise. This is not faring answer for my issue and I will check all chevy 2019 1.5 LT in all branches in near me and if I found this is not just for me then this means the noise is so weird as I told on top. The technician said, "Yes I can hear this noise." and it is so weird for him too.

Original review: July 3, 2019

I bought a 2019 Equinox new and my brother bought one at the same time. Two new cars with the same issue chemical smell coming out of vents with a/c on. I called my dealer no problems that they know of. Today I took the car to the dealer, they called and surprisingly, there is a bulletin on the issue. So there must be a hell of a lot of other people having the same issue. I need to hear about your concerns. They said there is a problem with afterflow enabling whatever that is. 4410315 must be the service bulletin. How do you see it. Also they did olh odor correction. The smell is still there when the car goes to auto shutoff, when the car comes back on the chemical smell comes back. What do you think. Thank you.

Original review: June 26, 2019

I purchased a 2019 Equinox LT in October 2018. I had the car a few months and the dashboard started rattling. At first, once in a while, then, all the time. The rattling drives me crazy. The car is loud inside like an old truck. There is hissing coming from the radio and vent area, hissing on the driver's side floor, hissing sound like it is under the console, wind sound as if a window is open, knocking sound on the left side of dashboard, hard dragging when I brake, a motor like running sound in the door across from the steering wheel. The radio blacked out while I was driving and came back on after a while. Mechanic said I need a new gear shift and ordered the part. He said the rattle was coming from under the hood and called himself fixing it.

When I got the car back, it was still rattling. Just recently, the radio started making a loud blaring noise and it continued for almost 4 minutes; I recorded it because I could not stop it. The hood of the car has several lines in the recessed section that won't come off when washed. I got out of the car, left it running, and heard loud hissing noises coming from the back tire area. I am afraid to drive this car any distance because there is always a new problem. Most of the time I leave it in my garage. It only has 3400 miles on it. I would like to enjoy a new car, but not with this Equinox.

Chevrolet Equinox Company Information