2. Automotive
  3. Car Brands

4.1/5 (1769 ratings)
Get Pricing on Rydeshopper
Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

About BMW

Banner image

Time for a new car and not sure where to start?

Search local inventory today!

Find a Dealer Near You

BMW Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about BMW?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about BMW?

Original review: Oct. 28, 2020

Bought a 2020 M340i xdrive BMW. The proximity feature of the Idrive have been an issue from the day I picked up the vehicle. On the way home from the dealership the doors would not open using the door handles. Had to use the key fob. On day two I called the BMW genius. He had me reboot the Idrive. This fixed the problem for a short time. The way it stands now, we never know when it's going to work. It worked for a couple days recently, only to stop working for the last 2 days. I took it to the dealer when it was not working.

When I got to the dealership, it started working when I arrived at the dealership. They checked for error codes. They said there may be issues with the antenna based on the error codes. The order is in for a new antenna. This was on 10/19/2020. Still have not heard anything from the dealership. It is now 10/27/2020. I don't know where the part is coming from, but I had hoped it would be here by now, and I could see if this fixes the problem. Hoping for the best, but I fear this going to be an issue as long as own the vehicle.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2020

Awesome car to drive. I am on my 4th BMW. But this will be my last. My current car is a 335i. I need a footwear module. I cannot drive the car because of this part needs replaced. I contacted BMW because my car is just out of the warranty. Now mind you BMW extended this warranty because this part was defective. So knowing that asking for any help to cover the cost seemed reasonable. My car has 60k. It's a 2010. The warranty is 10 years 156k. I was told BMW won't help not one penny. Because of the age. Now owning 4 of these cars. I can't even begin to tell you the amount of money I have spent on repairs over the years. So now knowing I have to eat this cost. I am told 30-60 day to even get the part. So thanks BMW. I won't have a car to drive till I can get this handled. So once this puppy is fixed. I WILL BE TRADING IT IN! This is the last BMW I will own.

Original review: Sept. 14, 2020

I have had a love affair with BMW since the mid 1990's, however I'm sorry to say that relationship is on the rocks. Having had 3 brand new BMW cars and one new BMW motorcycle I can now say that "BMW quality" is no longer a corporate mandate, just a slogan. What was once (with proper care) a vehicle that you could rely on, be proud of and enjoy has become the brand of "what next". I say this as my X3 sits in a service bay to replace the drivers side mirror which fell off! $1300 To replace something not broken not damaged but the latest in a long line part failures that was preceded by a motorcycle that I literally had to throw away.

WHAT? Yes a 2003 R1200C with less than 12000 miles stored in my hanger that in 2014 turned into junk because of cheap manufacturing processes, poor quality wiring and metal plating that literally fell off. Sound familiar, among exterior body reflectors and interior parts that have fallen off or delaminated on the X3 the one that has convinced me is the drivers door handle that is slowly turning into black goop and when I showed it to the service writer he said and I quote "On the earlier models you had to replace the entire door panel".... As I said in the beginning not worth the money, because you are paying for quality that is no longer there.

Original review: Aug. 26, 2020

I’m writing to complain about how BMW Financial Services demonstrated disrespect and completely disregard for a potential client time and money. I’ve been a client of AUDI and Mercedes without any issues whatsoever and my recent experience with BMW is the complete opposite. I applied for a lease assumption REF number ** my first email being on July 10th. I sent an individual application mentioning I wanted to do it under my business instead which I mentioned to your current client.

After not receiving any answer from BMW your client made contact by phone asking them to send him the business form, which he forwarded me. I promptly filled the form and sent it back to the assumptions team, no answer again. I called every other day to check and the customer service had nothing to say but to ask me to call again on a later date. I resent the form by email and fax and called again since I had no answer from the assumptions team again. This time I was informed that they received and were reviewing it, but there was an issue with my SSN issuance date. The solution proposed was for me to send a copy of my social security card by email (very secure by the way) which I ended up doing.

This cycle (SSN issue) repeated 3 times, with many hours of phone calls to the customer service because the assumptions team was not able to answer a single email (0 of 8) that I sent, not even to acknowledge receipt the first time. After the 3rd time I’ve got the same answer from customer service (SSN issuance date issue) I asked to escalate to a supervisor since clearly the assumptions team was not doing their job even after I complied with their request (SS card by email), but to my surprise, or perhaps I shouldn’t be surprise with anything anymore the customer service told me there was no supervisor to escalate the issue to.

While I was still trying to solve this I told your current client to search for another person to take over his lease since I didn’t know how long it would take to get it done. The conclusion to this is that I received 2 letters denying my application (individual and business), ended up with hard inquiry in my credit report and $500 in fees which I was told there was a refund if the application was denied. What intrigues me the most is the world is going through a terrible situation, there’s a lot of people unemployed and the ones that are employed at BMW Financial Services probably shouldn’t be there. What is the kind of client BMW seeks? I wonder since I have a 770 credit score (it’s in your letter REF **).

Original review: Aug. 5, 2020

I had a significant engine oil pan gasket leak requiring a costly repair with a 41/2 year old 2009 BMW 535 at 57,751 miles in December 2014. On this occasion BMW were very responsive and promptly reimbursed 90% of my costs. I have now had an identical but even more costly repair at an even lower mileage, 47,983 with a 2013 X5 with the same engine. On this occasion BMW have been leading me on a "circle jerk" routine for nearly a month. My question is therefore, is this a systemic problem with this engine or have I just been unlucky?

Original review: July 24, 2020

The appearance of the 330is is way off. The reason why we as public is going wild over the e30 325is is because of its boxy body shape as it is to perfect, the amazing sound of the M20 2.7 motor and interior. I would prefer revive the original e30 325is with a slight twist of lil bit of modern interior updates and wheels but leave the appearance and motor as it is.

Original review: July 22, 2020

After driven 2011 BMW 328i, having issues with faulty transmission. Vehicle has only 112,000 miles. Engine light on and the message says transmission malfunction. Also ABS system not working. OBD scanner will not clear the issue.

Original review: July 6, 2020

BMW is the worst brand vehicle. Always needing repairs. Have spent over $100,000 in vehicles repairs. Don’t recommend anyone to purchase BMW. BMW X5 especially Mechanical, Transmission, and Engine issues.

Original review: June 25, 2020

DO NOT buy car from this dealer!!! This deal is selling you a defective car!!! I purchased a brand new 2020 X7 from this dealer. And the car was broken after 7 days driving:

1. The touch screen is 100% off, I cannot control anything on the display.
2. The bluetooth wipe out my and my wife's phone (Andriod and iPhone both) connection 3 time a week, which mean we need to reconnect/reconfigure our phone connection every other day.
3. The battery is dead permanently, the error signal was on when I purchased it originally, but the sales told me it will be back to normal after couple days driving. But after 1 week driving, the battery error signal is still there, and need to be replaced.
4. The rubber seal on the front end hook is coming out, and looks really ugly and do not match the BMW brand at all.
5. The auto lock is not function at all. After enabling this feature, the auto lock still not working at all. This feature is very normal one on any premium brand car back to 5+ year ago. I personally own another Acura and Tesla, all of cars have this function and there is no problems to use such function in the past 3 years.

6. All of the cellphone app remote control function is not working on my car. I cannot lock/unlock/flash/horn the car via the phone app.

I drop off the car 5 calendar days (4 business) ago. And service department is still working on it, from the time it took, I can definitely tell this is not a small issue. Since the service adviser told me, replacing a new battery will only cost them half business day. So for sure, there is a huge defective on this brand new X7 car. I am really surprised that this dealer will sell defective car to the customer, especially on such high end/premium 7 series product line.

Update @2020-06-24: After 5 days waiting, today afternoon the service department just called me back, saying the display is totally off, and cannot be fixed by them. So they decided to order a new display from BMW, and the new part will by arrived in Friday (so another 3 business days waiting). And then they will need to replace the display part completely! Can you imagine this is what happened to a brand NEW X7, with 7 days driving and only less than 200 mileage.

Original review: May 7, 2020

Bridgewater, NJ said they can not take the X128i we are leasing (and 3 years of full lease has been completed) becuase of Murphy's Executive order to keep NJ safe (duing the COVID period). However, when I called the BMW Financial Services, they said we need to make the payment to keep the car. How is that fair by BMW? The car is not even driven at all for last 6 weeks.

I am ready to return the car and toally understand that only essestial businesses needs to be open, but here is a company who wants to make full use of the situtation of charging the customers. Very very dissappoiting in BMW and surely I am not the only one who has been forced to do so. This was my 3rd BMW and never going back to this company.

BMW Company Information