Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

MaxCare Auto Warranty

MaxCare Auto Warranty
Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.02/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

If you purchase a vehicle through the national used car seller CarMax, you automatically receive its 4,000-mile/90-day limited warranty. However, you’re also eligible to buy the more robust MaxCare extended auto warranty. MaxCare offers a high level of coverage and a suite of benefits, but it’s only available at the point of purchase.

Top MaxCare Auto Warranty Reviews

Unfortunately, 4 months after buying my ATS it needed a $3700.00 rear differential replacement … Then my Jetta needed $4500.00 front end repair work … I could not be happier with my investment in these warranties and will never buy a used car without one again.

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

BOTTOM LINE

MaxCare is the optional extended warranty that CarMax customers can add to a used vehicle purchase. The plans are transferable and provide good coverage, but some companies offer more add-on benefits.

PROS

• Transferable
      • Coverage for used cars
      • Great coverage

CONS

• Only available through CarMax

What is MaxCare?

MaxCare is an auto warranty that gives you additional benefits and coverage for your vehicle, even if the factory warranty is still in effect. In the case of a breakdown, CarMax pays for the repair minus the deductible, which you're responsible for paying. You only need to pay one deductible per visit, not per repair. The deductible and mileage covered by the warranty are flexible, so you can choose terms that work for you.

How much does MaxCare cost?

The cost for a MaxCare auto warranty ranges from $1,000 to $8,500. The price varies based on the value of the car. When you pay for a MaxCare auto warranty, you can wrap it into the cost of the vehicle. Whatever you end up paying, look at the monthly cost and make sure you can afford it in addition to your car payment.

What does MaxCare cover?

With the MaxCare auto warranty, the following parts and systems are covered:

• Engine
      • Steering
      • Suspension
      • Cooling systems
      • Climate control

Repairs for these parts and systems can be made at any ASE-certified facility — MaxCare pays the shop directly. You can ask for a sample contract to see more details about MaxCare’s coverage.

MaxCare auto warranty benefits

MaxCare warranties come with specific benefits. The warranties don’t include trip interruption reimbursement or the cost of emergency tires and fuel, but the rental car reimbursement is good. You can take advantage of these benefits even if your car is still under a factory warranty.

• Rental car reimbursement: MaxCare's warranty covers up to $40 per day for up to seven days of car rental if your vehicle is in the shop for repairs.
      • Emergency roadside assistance: You’re covered up to $100 in services per occurrence.
      • Fuel delivery: Get fuel delivered in an emergency, but the cost of gas is not included.
      • Flat tire assistance: Receive help when a tire goes flat, but this doesn’t cover the cost of replacing the tire.

MaxCare auto warranty FAQ

How do I contact CarMax MaxCare?
      You can reach out to CarMax MaxCare by mail, phone, online or through Facebook or Twitter.
      What does the CarMax limited warranty cover?
      CarMax’s limited warranty, which comes automatically with every vehicle, covers the important systems and parts in your vehicle. For more details, speak to a CarMax representative or ask for a sample contract. For longer coverage, you should extend protection with MaxCare.
      What voids a CarMax warranty?
      You void the warranty if you don’t make timely payments, if your vehicle is totaled or if you make prohibited modifications to the vehicle. For full details, consult your MaxCare contract.
      How long is a CarMax warranty?
      The limited warranty that comes with every car from CarMax lasts just 90 days, but the optional MaxCare extended warranty length varies. You can expect most of them to range from three to five years.

Is a MaxCare auto warranty worth it?

If you’re able to make the monthly payments on a MaxCare extended warranty, it might be worth it. The plan itself offers great coverage. The biggest downside is the benefits, which could be better. Several consumer reviews mention being grateful for having significant repairs covered in exchange for an affordable monthly premium. When buying a used car from CarMax, consider an extended auto warranty to protect against the cost of unexpected breakdowns.

MaxCare Auto Warranty Reviews

Original review: Dec. 30, 2019

My wife and I purchased a Honda Odyssey and elected to purchase the top tier MaxCare warranty plan (a $50 deductible) because of the scope of the coverage. We used it to easily change an alternator about 9 months later without any issue. However, our van had a flashing check engine light come on about 6 weeks ago. The MaxCare warranty department decided that the work that needed to be done would not be covered due to "lack of routine maintenance" even though we have all the records proving otherwise. The CarMax-certified repair facility we're using even agreed with our position and contacted MaxCare on our behalf and were told that the claim would be denied (even though the reasons given were NOT routine maintenance items). Long story short - we may be out at least $600 in repairs/labor because MaxCare has decided that they will not honor the warranty provided.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

Maxcare has treated me horrible. My 09 Honda CRV has been in the honda dealership for 3 weeks going on 4. They still havent approved my repair which is a faulty engine (I only had the car for a year). The only thing I got free was a tow. I've been unable to pay my car payment because I've been paying for Ubers and car rentals for the past 4 weeks waiting for them to get things rolling. When you call to complain all they tell you is unfortunately this or unfortunately that. This is the worst experience. Carmax isnt treating me any better. Maxcare wont pay for your rental until they approve the repair (waiting on approval for a month now). They want honda to put in a clunker engine so I'll be in this situation another year from now. They don't pay for diagnostic tests unless they approve the repair. And I have a 300 dollar deductible. 2 words MAXCARE SUCKS.

Get expert buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2019

I had called The CarCare number that was given to me by the Carmax guy. His name was Kenneth. Anyway I call the CarCare number and a lady answers. I explain to her the issue at hand. That my car was serviced. And 2 weeks after that same problem arose. I feel I should NOT have to pay a 2nd deductible. The car should had been fixed the 1st time. While she's giving me the run around and stumbling over the lies she's telling me I ask to finally speak to her Supervisor.

I wanted a letter or an email stating that Carcare will not assist me with the waiver of the 2nd deductible. She nor the Supervisor never got back to me. It has been 2 days now and no response. I paid over 3000 dollars for that warranty and they won't even work with me?! Nonsense. So you know what?..All of my future payments for the car...I am sending them your way. And you people can take care of my payments. What did I pay for?? Not even a phone call back! So unprofessional! BBB is next with a review from me.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

My customer brought her vehicle in for a simple repair, a washer pump. Called, got an Auth # and ordered the part. Did the repair. Called for payment. Here is where the trouble started. My shop had moved since the last time we did work for one of their policy holders. This started a 3 hour battle to get paid. I had to have the customer call to get the information I needed to get them in order to move forward. After all this they changed what they were willing to pay 3 times. BBW of this outfit. They are not easy to work with and everyone you talk to will give you a different answer.

Original review: July 16, 2019

I purchased a 2011 Infiniti G37 3 years ago. Since then, I’ve had to replace the slave cylinder because my clutch went out, I had to replace my transmission, couple malfunctions like my windows not going up and down properly, and now my AC stopped working and found out I had to get a new condenser because it’s cracked. THEY DID NOT COVER A PENNY.

They said they cover “only mechanical issues.” My condenser that needs to be replaced is considered a mechanical issue. The part is a condenser radiator dual part meaning it’s sold as an assembly which is about $600 and they denied it. I’m not sure why it cracked but I told them maybe I hit a rock or something and they said they wouldn’t cover it because it wasn’t a malfunction in the part. They need to do an inspection before approving it but why does an inspection need to be done if I was just told it won’t be covered because it wasn’t a part failure? In the 3 years I’ve had their warranty, I haven’t used it once because they didn’t want to cover anything. As of today, I’m canceling my warranty because it’s a WASTE OF MONEY and having the rest of the amount go towards my premium. It’s a freaking scam.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Maxcare Auto Warranty?

Original review: July 11, 2019

I bought the warranty for $3500 last year. Right after I had the MB SUV for one year, it started to have lots of issues. In the last three month, I had transmission replaced $7000, starter, $1603.66, idler pulley $681.56, engine mounts $2691.17. That's $12000 in total. All I have to pay is $500 deductible. Thanks God I still purchased the warranty after seeing the reviews on this website. Otherwise I might be crying right now ‘cause who knows how much I would need to pay to get this car repaired in the next few years.

Original review: June 28, 2019

We purchased a 2012 Nissan Rogue from CarMax, with the MaxCare Extended Warranty up to 100,000 miles. At 91,000 miles the car shook to a stop and went dead. We called MaxCare and they told us they would cover a wrecker and we could send it to any repair shop that is authorized. I looked up the nearest one and MaxCare stated they were approved. So we had it TOWED to that location.

The service shop diagnosed the problem as the radiator had blown out and leaked coolant into the engine causing the spark plugs to be fouled and damaging the engine beyond repair. Maxcare paid to repair the radiator that caused the problem, but refused to pay for the engine. We called MaxCare several times trying to get an understanding as to why they are covering the part (radiator) that caused all the damage, but not the parts (engine) that were ruined as a result.

MaxCare representatives first claimed that after the car stopped working on the day of the radiator being blown, we continued to drive it, driving it to the repair facility. We pointed out that we did not drive it, and they are actually paying for the TOW bill showing they towed it. They then transferred me to a "Supervisor" who stated that it wasn't because we drove it, but it was denied due to "Never having coolant in the vehicle EVER". We stated that is impossible and ridiculous over the life of any car to never have coolant in it. We asked to see the inspector's report (that they sent) that they used to deny claim and they stated that it is "in house only" and won't release it.

We spoke to an attorney who then pointed out that in the warranty contract, we agreed to arbitration with MaxCare to resolve any issues, and to call Maxcare back and clarify the exact reason it is being denied. We called back a third time, and MaxCare again stated that we drove the car to the repair shop (I again pointed out the wrecker charge). They then stated "The car has never had COOLANT, causing the radiator to blow out, which in turn caused COOLANT to leak into the engine". I pointed out the obvious mistake that coolant couldn't leak into the engine if it never had coolant in it.

I asked for the mistakes to be changed, and they stated no. I asked who made these mistakes and who to contact about it. The "Supervisor" stated that there was no one to contact or to appeal to, and we would have to go ahead with our choice to go to arbitration. She stated she knew CarMax was being evasive, but there was no one else for us to speak to about the obvious mistakes/lies.

Original review: June 19, 2019

It is very hard to find dealerships willing to take this. The closest one to us is 45 minutes away. There isn't one in our county or any surrounding zip codes to us. It would be nice if they would branch out. They also need to improve their rental car policy. When I used my extended warranty last time they set me up with a rental through Enterprise. My local Enterprise was out of cars. They did not have a contract with any other rental companies so I was forced to pay out of pocket at Hertz and get reimbursed after a few weeks. It's great in theory, just needs improvements.

Original review: May 27, 2019

I purchased a Mercedes Benz S550 from CarMax, also purchasing the maximum MaxCare policy along with it. 5 years/100K miles. After two years and only 72000 miles on the odometer and after having several major repairs covered, I brought the car in for a malfunctioning air conditioning compressor. I was informed that the repair would not be covered under MaxCare because the total cost of previous repairs had reached the purchase price of the car! This was exclusion was never mentioned verbally, nor in print under exclusions in the MaxCare sales pamphlet that the sales consultant went over with me when I purchased the car. I’m very disappointed with CarMax!!

Original review: May 21, 2019

I paid $1400 for an extended warranty and when my engine blew they would not cover to replace. They will look for every little thing to disqualify you so they dont have to pay. They make it sound like a great program to get you to buy. But when something happens to your vehicle they wont pay. I will never purchase a extended warranty again. The money you spend in the warranty could go towards future repairs. Save yourself time, stress and worry. DONT BUY!!!!

MaxCare Auto Warranty Company Information