MaxCare Auto Warranty

Concord Auto Protect

Concord Auto Protect Reviews

View Pricing

About MaxCare Auto Warranty

If you purchase a vehicle through the national used car seller CarMax, you automatically receive its 4,000-mile/90-day limited warranty. However, you’re also eligible to buy a more robust MaxCare extended auto warranty. MaxCare offers a high level of coverage and a suite of benefits, but it’s only available at the point of purchase.

Pros & Cons

Pros
    • Can be included in monthly payment
    • Variety of plans and deductibles
    • Cancel anytime
    Cons
    • Only available at time of car purchase
    • Possible cancellation/transfer fee

Featured Reviews

Verified
    Baltimore, MD

Well whenever something is wrong or if I even think something might be wrong they take care of me. Got the car from Carmax and happy I got extended warranty. I thought just for pe...

Verified
    Travelers Rest, SC

I have always had a good experience using their MaxCare warranty. My first car I purchased … had a problem with one of the windows. … The process could have been faster, but they ...

What is MaxCare?

MaxCare is an extended auto warranty that extends coverage past CarMax’s 90-day/4,000-mile limited warranty. If your car breaks down, you can take your vehicle to a repair shop and CarMax will pay for the covered repairs, minus your deductible. There are a number of different MaxCare plans and deductible options, so you can find coverage that meets your needs and budget. MaxCare is only available at the time you purchase a used vehicle from CarMax.

What does MaxCare cover?

MaxCare auto warranties cover the following parts and systems:

• Engine
    • Steering
    • Suspension
    • Cooling systems
    • Climate control

Repairs for these parts and systems can be made at any licensed facility in the U.S. or Canada that offers a six-month/6,000-mile warranty on labor and parts. MaxCare pays the shop directly. You can ask for a sample contract to see more details about MaxCare’s coverage.

MaxCare cost

The cost for a MaxCare auto warranty varies based on the following factors:

• The make, model, model year and mileage on your vehicle
    • The plan and deductible amount you select
    • How many miles you drive per year
    • Whether you pay upfront or finance the purchase

You can get a quote on a MaxCare contract when you purchase a vehicle from CarMax.

MaxCare FAQ

How do I contact CarMax MaxCare?

You can reach out to CarMax by calling, filling out an online message form, reaching out on social media or visiting a CarMax store.

What does the CarMax limited warranty cover?

CarMax’s limited warranty, which comes automatically with every vehicle, covers repairs to the car’s major systems and hundreds of parts, plus labor. It lasts for 90 days or 4,000 miles (whichever comes first). For more details, speak to a CarMax representative or ask for a sample contract at a store.

What voids a CarMax warranty?

For information about what voids your warranty, see your contract, or ask a CarMax representative.

How long is a CarMax warranty?

The limited warranty that comes with every car from CarMax lasts 90 days or 4,000 miles — whichever comes first. A MaxCare warranty lasts multiple years.

Is MaxCare worth it?

If you’re able to afford a MaxCare extended warranty, it might be worth it. It offers coverage for essential systems and parts in your car. Several consumer reviewers mention being grateful for having the cost of significant repairs covered. If you’re buying a used car from CarMax, consider an extended auto warranty to protect against the cost of unexpected breakdowns.

MaxCare Auto Warranty Reviews

Stars Rating

• 28%
    • 72%

Popular Mentions

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Maxcare Auto Warranty?

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Maxcare Auto Warranty?
      Claims HandlingTechPrice

Reviewed June 24, 2024

I purchased my truck from Carmax in November 2023. I take my truck to the carmax where I bought it because they have a limited repair facility on site. If they can't fix they send it to the local Ford dealer they use. No problems with that. I have had 3 claims and zero denied. Two of the claims involved replacing seals and gaskets and took a week to complete. They gave me a loaner vehicle also. Don't know why there are so many bad reviews other than you didn't read the warranty and know the limitations. I'm very happy with my warranty from MaxCare. The cost of the warranty is included in my payment and it's very convenient knowing everything is paid at once. Maybe I'm fortunate to have found one of the better carmax dealerships (College Station Tx). I would purchase the MaxCare warranty again if I needed to.

Profile pic of the author.
      Claims Handling

Reviewed June 17, 2024

A sincere thank you to the team at CarMax and MaxCare. Everyone I worked with worked especially hard and careful to assist with a major warranty claim with successful results and outcomes with the service centers involved in our vehicle breakdown. The service and attention to detail was exceptional even with a very challenging vehicle breakdown. The experience turned out positive and even though it took much patience and extra efforts to find solutions, it was well worth the wait. I would highly recommend CarMax and MaxCare extended warranties which combined helped save a $60,000 stranded vehicle which would not run and a $12,000 unexpected breakdown bill. Thank you everyone involved.

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Thanks for subscribing.

Reviewed May 6, 2024

I purchased an Audi A3 Quattro on Jan. 5, 2020, from CarMax in Inglewood, CA and literally within less than a week my journey into the non-stop repair abyss began. I often wonder how these people live with themselves knowing that they're completely screwing over innocent people who just want to purchase a reliable car. I made the poor choice of purchasing a USED car from unscrupulous & heartless CARMAX and I'll never make that mistake again!

Punctuality & SpeedRefunds & Payouts

Reviewed April 30, 2024

I purchased a 2018 BMW from Carmax in Columbus, GA. The sales rep advised me to get the coverage and explain to me what's covered and stated I can bring it to Carmax for repairs! Unfortunately Carmax don't work on BMW at all and I also had a flat tire and was stuck on side of the road and called Maxcare Roadside! Roadside never showed up and had me on side of the road for 9 hours and refuse to reimburse me for my tow! I had to find my own Tow and Maxcare repeatedly canceled my tow and stated the tow will be there in 15 mins!

Customer ServiceCoveragePrice

Reviewed Feb. 15, 2024

2018 Camry with front end noise. Brought vehicle in for service at local Toyota. Source of noise was coming from both front hubs. Maxcare warranty only covers labor and partial part cost. Does not cover cost for the cheapest aftermarket part. Now I am being asked to cover the difference when we were told from the beginning everything is covered. All we have to do is pay a deductible. If I was you and they offer you maxcare I would run!!!! If you feel like give away your hard earn money sign up! They're not here to help you! Also customer service is rude and unprofessional. Save yourself a headache!

Customer Service

Reviewed Jan. 17, 2024

I needed my car battery jumped, Sub-zero conditions in N IL - Called Maxcare, requested Roadside Asst, at 1:36 pm. It's now 9:22pm. NO ONE EVER SHOWED UP! I called/texted. Got run around. I Had to call Tow Truck $95.00,

Profile pic of the author.
        Customer ServiceCoverageRefunds & Payouts

Reviewed Dec. 19, 2023

I purchased a 2016 Mercedes C300 from CarMax. I put $20,000 down and was only financing the MaxCare. I took the vehicle to Mercedes Benz to have the Service A done because CarMax told me that they didn't do it and wouldn't be able to reset that error message. Mercedes told me that there was over $5,000 in repairs needed. I told them that I would use my MaxCare. I found out MaxCare didn't cover. Because I needed a reliable vehicle I decided to sell the vehicle and purchase a new Mercedes on 11/22. MaxCare owed me over $3000 close to $4,000. When I called to cancel the MaxCare I transposed the mileage. So I called back and they said that they couldn't go in and correct. It was a 4,000 difference in the mileage. So now the refund expected had dropped to $3,000.

I have been in contact with them and was told my $2,900 would take 7-10 business days to receive. The refund amount continues to drop. The car has been paid in full. Today's date is 12/19 still no refund. I called CarMax today and spoke with Bria and was advised that it would be 4-6 weeks to get my refund. Why does it take so long to return money back to person that’s owed. I did Everything that I was supposed to do. I told them that I wouldn't use their company ever ok and she said ok. In this case, the customer doesn't matter nor is valued. I paid $20,000, I guess my money should be spent somewhere else.

Customer ServiceCoverageTech

Reviewed Oct. 11, 2023

I purchased my second and last vehicle from Car Max, who sadly has become just another car dealer now. Did get extended warranty through them with Maxcare on a 2018 Chevy Silverado Anniversary Edition. Fell victim to what every mechanic, Chevy dealership, and apparently warranty company refers to as the "Chevy Shudder." Chevy was completely useless as I had suspected even though I was only a few days out of the manufactures warranty...which became more than a few days after more than 2 weeks navigating their "service" portals and jousting with their electronic bots. Never did hear a human voice. Had I known that Chevy sold 800,000 vehicles knowingly with this problem, I wouldn't have bought the car. Should have joined the class action suit. Car Max didn't disclose it either. But Max Care in the lineup takes the cake.

Cashed my check for 1600 for the extended warranty but after taking the truck to Chevy and after Maxcare themselves told me when I called they had three calls already that day for the same thing, refused to cover the expense because filter and fluids don't count as parts. This is a truck, shaking me off the road, and which I had to shelve for two weeks to get into a Chevy dealership for repairs, and because there wasn't a "part" and it was "systemic" they wouldn't cover the cost. The only thing I understand from all this is why the repair shops at Chevy dealerships are always full. Went back to Chevy from Ford. Going back to Ford, or maybe simply walking. Either option is better than the these awful companies and their propaganda about customer service. Read the fine print or make nice with a lawyer. They are worse than insurance companies.

Coverage

Reviewed Sept. 10, 2023

My daughter's Genesis came to us with a brake issue. We thought it was the brake pads, it wasn't. We were told by the first shop recommended by Carmax that it was a tire issue, it wasn't. Right now, if I could find the Person who can handle this issue would be great but alas, both carmax and MaxCare have done everything they can to blame each other for all the things wrong with my daughter's car and permitted a 20 year old to drive away with a car that had a faulty brake system because no one wants to take responsibility and pay for the repairs.

Maxcare will not cover the cost of repair unless the car 100 percent breaks, which according to the mechanic shop, that will not be a pretty sight. Her car does burnouts involuntarily and intermittently, the brake don't work at times and she has to pump it to stop the car. She is paying $535 a month for a car she cannot drive. Both carmax and maxcare are rip offs. Maxcare solution: take it to carmax. Carmax solution: accept 11,000 trade in offer, for a car she is paying 25,000 for.

Yeah, if I could give zero stars, I would. Stay away from maxcare and carmax. They value their money more than your child's life.

Refunds & Payouts

Reviewed Aug. 15, 2023

I had numerous issues with my car so I contacted Maxcare’s number to have them pick a shop for me. This shop took my deductible and fixed one issue but I had 8 lights on the dashboard so I took it back. Paid another deductible and all 8 lights stayed on. I said it must be transmission and they said they checked and it’s perfect. Took it to a new place and they checked all the lights and my transmission is shot! I have spent 2 months trying to report this and NOONE can get me any number but roadside assistance and said my car has to be towed in before they will talk to me! The car is drivable so why pay for a tow. I want to get my money back to pay my 3rd deductible but no one will help me! That shop even passed my inspection because they couldn’t figure out why all the lights are on. Terrible shop and terrible service.

Quick and easy. Find an auto warranty partner now.

MaxCare Auto Warranty Company Information

Maxcare Auto Warranty
          www.carmax.com

Check out our buyers guide top picks

Our Buyers Guide Top Picks: