Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty
2.05/5

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

106 Maxcare Auto Warranty Consumer Reviews

Original review: May 3, 2019

In the last 2 years I have bought a 2014 Cadillac ATS and a 2009 VW Jetta from CarMax. I hesitantly bought the aftermarket warranty for both. Unfortunately, 4 months after buying my ATS it needed a $3700.00 rear differential replacement. Since I could get the service done at any mechanic I took it to the Cadillac dealer who gave me a loaner. The representative came and looked at my car and approved the repair right away.

Then my Jetta needed $4500.00 front end repair work. The warranty paid for my rental for 5 days, no expense to me. The repair work was approved in one day. I just had to have the CUE replaced on the ATS, $1300.00. Again a loaner and no issue getting approved at all. The warranty and the deductibles together so far have come to $2600.00 and I have have had approx. $9000.00 repair work done, excluding rental cars. I could not be happier with my investment in these warranties and will never buy a used car without one again. Happy guy here!

Original review: April 2, 2019

I see many people with bad experiences with Maxcare on here. I am quite the opposite. I had to have major repairs made on my 2011 A4. A known (Audi) oil consumption issue on the model and year of my car that over time damaged my pistons to the point that they needed to be replaced. For anyone that has ever needed to replace their pistons you know it is a huge repair expense (around $6300 for an Audi A4) because of the required engine teardown! There were also 2 minor oil leaks that needed repairing (around $800.00). MaxCare approved the repairs within 2 hours of being requested. I was working with the Audi Dealership Service Department in Annapolis so these were repairs made by Audi trained mechanics. The only caveat was to provide my service records to show that I was keeping up with the manufacturer recommended routine services (which I had been, thank Goodness).

I would say that I have gotten my money's worth with this warranty. I bought the 125k/6 year warranty for around 4k and I am so glad that I did!!! It has paid for itself and then some and I can now rest easy that I was only out of pocket my deductible (which is pretty high at $500.00) but given the over 7k in repairs, I will gladly pay that in lieu of what it would have been. I still have 35k miles and almost 2 years left on this warranty. I truly hope that I do not need it, but if I do, I have peace of mind knowing that I have it.

Get expert buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 26, 2019

I purchased a 2002 Corvette from CarMax. I got the warranty for 6 years 100,000 miles in 2013. In 2016 I had some major problems. I had $18,000,00 in the car and all covered my Maxcare through CarMax. The repair shop owner screwed me and CarMax by putting ** parts in my Corvette. I started seeing the same problems 13 months later and the repair shop closed and took off with a lot of repair money. I called Maxcare and they told me because it was 13 months later they would pay again. The second time was $12.000 in repairs and they paid 100% again. It is a great company. I now have a different car, another Corvette and looking for a secondary warranty company and cannot find one.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

Perhaps it is because I had to go through an actual dealer for repairs vs. having Carmax do the repairs, but my experience has been amazing. Within a month of buying a Porsche Cayman, I developed a strange noise in the transmission. I took the car to my local Porsche dealer and, long story short, two months later my car has a new transmission. I paid only my $300 co-pay and Maxcare covered the remaining amount (nearly $10K) without blinking an eye. Within two months, Maxcare has paid for itself 4 times over and I still have 5 years to go on the warranty. If you are considering an expensive vehicle, I'd highly recommend opting for Maxcare.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I have purchased 4 cars from CarMax over the past 9 years and carry the complete MaxCare warranty on all of them. I never had an opportunity to use one until last week. My 2011 Nissan Rouge had an HVAC blower go out so I contacted MaxCare and was greeted very professionally. I asked if it was covered and was told YES anything that is not in the exclusion pages was covered. I initiated the process at my local repair shop. After verification the blower and control was replaced. We then found that the compressor had also failed after startup. I was concerned that I would be charged for the deductible two times. Not the case. The agent had the repair shop replace it under the same request. Great service. I will continue to take the warranty with my next car.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Maxcare Auto Warranty?

Original review: June 19, 2019

It is very hard to find dealerships willing to take this. The closest one to us is 45 minutes away. There isn't one in our county or any surrounding zip codes to us. It would be nice if they would branch out. They also need to improve their rental car policy. When I used my extended warranty last time they set me up with a rental through Enterprise. My local Enterprise was out of cars. They did not have a contract with any other rental companies so I was forced to pay out of pocket at Hertz and get reimbursed after a few weeks. It's great in theory, just needs improvements.

Original review: May 27, 2019

I purchased a Mercedes Benz S550 from CarMax, also purchasing the maximum MaxCare policy along with it. 5 years/100K miles. After two years and only 72000 miles on the odometer and after having several major repairs covered, I brought the car in for a malfunctioning air conditioning compressor. I was informed that the repair would not be covered under MaxCare because the total cost of previous repairs had reached the purchase price of the car! This was exclusion was never mentioned verbally, nor in print under exclusions in the MaxCare sales pamphlet that the sales consultant went over with me when I purchased the car. I’m very disappointed with CarMax!!

Original review: May 21, 2019

I paid $1400 for an extended warranty and when my engine blew they would not cover to replace. They will look for every little thing to disqualify you so they dont have to pay. They make it sound like a great program to get you to buy. But when something happens to your vehicle they wont pay. I will never purchase a extended warranty again. The money you spend in the warranty could go towards future repairs. Save yourself time, stress and worry. DONT BUY!!!!

Original review: April 4, 2019

I have taken my 2008 750i BMW to AAA certified mechanic and they have gone on and beyond on my repairs. Maxcare has approved at least 35,000 in repairs worth every penny. I usually receive a rental car immediately they cover a rental for up to 7 days. I have nothing but positive feedback to give Maxcare. I don't bother with Carmax. They usually need an appointment and the soonest appointment available is usually 1-2 weeks.

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

Do NOT pay for this warranty through CarMax! They will give you incorrect information & then screw you out of money & not pay for what they say they will pay for. If you want a warranty, purchase it through one of the many legit warranty companies that will properly inform you & pay your claims.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I bought a Mercedes GLK at CarMax and paid $2,100 for MaxCare. I used MaxCare twice. They covered more than $4,000 in repairs for my car. My car stayed at the repair shop only a few days each time. Works fine for me.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

We were given minimal documentation regarding our Maxcare Plan, but were told it provided roadside assistance. When our tire blew in an unsafe location, even knowing the exact situation from the start, Maxcare wasted our time for twenty minutes on the phone before telling us they couldn't do anything and having a list of other tow services we could have been calling twenty minutes previously if they'd admitted they couldn't help. Even when directly asked multiple times, Maxcare refused to admit that they couldn't help and wouldn't deviate from script.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I have used Maxcare in the past and it was a success. However I have had to use Maxcare again but this time my car was towed to the shop on a Saturday. I was out of a car and did not know that they aren’t open on weekends. I was shocked. Cars can break down any day and the purpose of the warranty is to be covered and also get in a rental with no hassle until your vehicle is ready. Well it was 3 days before I was able to get a rental but by then my car was fixed by then. It was rough calling and asking for rides to and from work. Being a single mom, it was tough. I do believe they should be open 7 days a week. Cars just don’t break down Mon-Fri.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I would NOT recommend getting MaxCare. When buying a car from CarMax, they will "force" MaxCare on you but hold your ground and refuse. If they're being aggressive with it, just tell them, "Can we just proceed with the purchase of the car please." Save that money and invest it in your own car insurance's comprehensive plan. It will save you time, stress and money and provide you with a rental car for the entire duration of your repair.

My car broke down a month and a half ago and having the MaxCare Extended Warranty, I took my car to the local CarMax Service Center. After having the diagnostics, I was told by the technician that the car's issue was with the alternator having voltage issues which damaged the battery (this was also stated on the technician's report). Seeing how alternator issues were covered by my warranty, I was shocked to hear that MaxCare denied my claim due to "battery issues" as they claimed that the battery was faulty and thus damaged my alternator.

I don't know if they were simply trying to take advantage of the fact that I am a college student who doesn't know much about cars but the fact that they lied to me about the cause in order to weasel their way out of having to pay for the repair was just appalling. I had to fight this for over two weeks by calling MaxCare and the Service Center every single business day and miraculously, the technician and his manager somehow got the claim approved on the third week.

Repairs took another week and my car was due to be completed last Friday yet I am here on Monday being told by the technician that MaxCare has not yet responded to the work report he filed a week ago for the last part required for the repair. Oh and since my car has been literally sitting in the Service Center's garage for a month, MaxCare was so kind enough to provide me with just one week's worth of car rental. Anything else is out of pocket. I appreciate everything that the technician from my local Service Center did for me. He went above and beyond to really get me the help I needed but the deceit and the excessive delay that MaxCare displayed for the past month is simply unacceptable and unprofessional.

Original review: Sept. 12, 2018

I purchased a Ford F150 with 35,722 miles 9/26/2017. I chose the 60 month 75,000 mile warranty. It is my 6th CARMAX purchase and 4th MAXCARE service contract. The harness melted almost into at the positive battery terminal Monday September 10, 2018 and the truck won't start. I opened the hood and noticed the cable was melted almost into. I wiggled the cable, got the truck started and took it home. After researching how to repair I noticed several YouTube videos on the subject. Apparently this happens often. It is not a simple replacement of the connector.

You have to replace the entire harness and it has to be purchased from a Ford service center. Planet Ford customer service agent Marcella ** contacted MAXCARE and they told her it was not covered. I then contacted agent Dale ** and he refused to allow the warranty because of negligence stating the battery corroded and burned the cable and batteries are not covered.

I countered that it is not the battery. It is the cable and should be covered for the life of the warranty. Normal maintenance procedure has you check under the hood once a month. This was done less than a month ago when it received the Texas State inspection for September 2019 along with an oil change and all fluids were checked as well. There was not a problem with battery corrosion at that time. The positive battery cable connector is 1/16 inch thick and copper. It was entirely melted except for a 1/4 span. I maintain that I maintained proper maintenance verified by my recent Texas state inspection and this should be covered by warranty.

Original review: Aug. 31, 2018

Carmax didn't charge me the deductible upon getting my car back post a sensor being replaced. I told them that I'm supposed to have a 150 dollar deductible and they said I wasn't being charged. They then called a week later saying that I owe the 150.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I bought a MaxCare warranty for my Porsche Cayman. Took it in to the dealer to get a door latch fixed and to check the steering. After they fixed everything the total came to about $2700. MaxCare paid $1300 - $150 for my deductible. They refused to pay for the alignment that was needed after the repair was done. Clips and misc. parts that were needed or shop supplies.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Unlike many others here, I had a pretty good experience with MaxCare. I've bought warranty 3y ago, and used it now for the first time (until now car was fine). I got a dead battery, and alternator also needed replacement. They have paid for both, so I'm positively surprised, since one could argue that battery is a wear part. I only paid a deductible. Maybe some folks don't realize that so many parts of a car are wear parts, and warranty does not cover them? Or maybe don't do maintenance frequently enough to keep the coverage? Not sure. Anyway my experience is good, and I can recommend MaxCare.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

Maxcare refused to cover the cost to repair my car by making up a bogus excuse. I was on the hook for over 1000 dollars. They also took over 2 weeks to give the dealership the approval to work on the car and was left without a car for over 3 weeks. I even called the warranty center and they stated it would be covered if the part that broke wasn’t due to negligence or abuse. They lied about that again. The customer service at their warranty center is awful refusing to let me speak to another person that may help my situation. Their representative also got angry at me and curse over the phone. If I could rate them lower I would. Never buy from CarMax again.

Original review: June 2, 2018

Brought my 2008 F250 in for service to a Ford dealership on Tuesday. Ford called Maxcare and Maxcare agreed to pay for the repairs minus my deductible... Truck was done Wednesday and Ford couldn't release the truck to me 'till Maxcare paid them. After several calls to Maxcare by Ford and myself this still is not paid. Here it is Friday and I am still without my truck. They don't open again 'till Monday so I am without it all weekend and get to call and try to get them to pay. This is obnoxious. It's going to cost me more money in Uber getting back and forth to work than what the repair cost will be.

Original review: May 3, 2018

My husband and I purchased the extended Maxcare warranty from CarMax less than a year ago for our 2016 GMC Yukon XL. We were told we would have a rental car so we wouldn’t have to be worried about not having a car if the Yukon broke down. The transmission in my 2016 Yukon started slipping so stopped driving it and we called the CarMax Service department. They said they wouldn’t even look at my vehicle for FIVE DAYS!!! It sat in my driveway unusable for a few days and then sat on their lot for a couple days before they even diagnosed it.

On top of that when I thought that I had a rental, since my husband commutes an hour to work and an hour home every day and there is no option for us to share vehicles, they told me they couldn’t give me a rental car until they diagnosed what was wrong with my car... which took 5 days!! So my mom thankfully was out on disability from work so she had to drive me around to take kids to school and Home and to Dr's appts I had scheduled.

Now today when they finally approved my rental car so I go to pick it up, they only approved a FORD FIESTA! My toddler's car seat barely even fit in the back seat! She can’t even put her legs down. They are crunched to the back of the front seat. AND I’m only allowed to have the rental for 7 days even if it takes longer than that to fix my car! Which is most likely will because now CarMax can’t even fix it. They have to tow it to GMC for them to fix where it is going to sit for who knows how long because they are too busy to fix it too.

Original review: April 2, 2018

Anybody want to contact me at ** to file a class section lawsuit please do! They won’t reimburse my money paid to have my car fixed. They keep saying they don’t receive the fax with all documentation requested and now they say they can’t read the documents via email. This has been going on for 4 weeks now.

Original review: March 13, 2018

I have Kia Sorento... It leaking Oil pressure switch oil pan and Timing cover leaking. I had drop my vehicle on KIA dealer for 5 day. Dealer follow up with Maxcare. They bill around 3000K for repair. Maxcare take care all of things. I have only pay 50 dollar copay. I am very happy with insurance. I recommend it.

Original review: March 9, 2018

I was really nervous about what we would have to go through when we submitted our first warranty claim. Yesterday my husband took our van into our local repair shop because of some clunking noises we had been hearing, and they found that there was a stabilizer bar that had broken and also noted that the rack and pinion were starting to leak. We had the auto shop call Maxcare's number to get preauthorization to work on it, and they gave it over the phone that morning. We had to pay for another repair on our own because it wasn't covered, but the two things mentioned above were covered by Maxcare and saved us $1,100. We got our car back by the end of the day totally repaired. So far, so good!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

I bought a 2011 Cadillac SRX and a problem with a oil leak in front of the motor. It cost 900.00 to fix. I paid 50.00. Next Year my air conditioner went bad. It cost 2200.00 to fix. I paid 50.00 bucks. So far Maxcare has been good to me.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

I purchased the $3500 Maxcare Auto Warranty when I purchased my 740i BMW. I started having issues with my engine, so it was taken to the BMW dealer. It took over two weeks for my car to be fixed with included a week of dead time due to hurricane Irma (Sept 2017). We paid for our rental (which is suppose to be reimbursed), submitted all required paperwork and receipts to Maxcare so that they could send us our check. Well as of today Jan 2018, we have made numerous attempts to see what the hold up was and every time we speak with someone, they tell us it’s being processed and there’s nothing else for them to do.

All we want is for them to follow through on their end. I recently contacted someone else via email, and again the representative stated that she was sorry and they will be sending it out!! I don’t feel secure that it will be sent “this time” either, because we’ve been told this so many times before!! We just want what’s due to us... which was stated in the contract, reimbursement from our rental car payment!!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

I took my car to the dealership as there were metal fragments in my oil and the vehicle was running rough. I was told that I needed an engine. I told them I had this Carmax warranty. The dealership called the warranty and was told that I had to authorize time for them to teardown the engine to find the exact cause. This cost me $900 just for the teardown just to have the engine replaced. That was half the cost of the engine. This is such a ** warranty and do not recommend to anyone!!! What's the point of paying for a warranty if I'm going to have to fork up more money just to use it?

Resolution response: March 18, 2019

Company decided to replace my rear suspension at $0 cost to me. I am happy with the resolution.

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

So I brought my 2013 Lincoln MKZ into Carmax in Westborough where I purchased the vehicle about a year ago because the rear end was making a lot of noise. Come to find out the rear air suspension was faulty and wasn't working. Bought the Maxcare warranty $3500 for repairs like this. No problem right? Nope. Get a call at 12 saying Maxcare refused to pay for anything. ** joke. Now I'm stuck with a $1000 bill and mind you the car only has 40,000 miles on it. Shouldn't be replacing air suspension at those miles. I called them today and asked for my money back. Will never use them again. Huge waste of money and time.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

We purchased the CarMax warranty. It allegedly covers major repairs. So when our car did not start we phoned to see if we could get the car towed there for repairs. Their response was that we could do that but would have to wait 10 days for the repair to take place. What good is that? This is my second bad experience. The first time I phoned CarMax to get a simple oil change the lines were busy so I left a message for a call back. They never called back. What good is the warranty with that kind of service?

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

I bought a car from Carmax and accepted the extended warranty from the sales associate, who said it was the greatest thing since sliced bread... Confirmed that I could simply "bring the car to any authorized repair place or dealership, pay $300 for the repair (on covered items), and get a loaner vehicle while the service was being done." Great, right? Wrong. It's been so much more complicated, and I still don't have a loaner vehicle. Eleven months after I purchased my car, the engine began to eat itself. I heard a loud knocking. Brought it to a Hyundai dealership directly for servicing (Carmax wouldn't make me an in-house appointment for two weeks-- they suggested I continue to drive/damage the car in the meantime!).

Hyundai diagnosed it the same morning I dropped it off. It was bad. They called to confirm the warranty service with MaxCare. The insurance company immediately demanded my last oil change receipt. "J'ACCUSE!" They want to blame this on me. Great. Luckily, I value my car, so I change my oil. I had a receipt. I sent it. Later, the same day: They are now trying to decide (while I wait, in limbo) if the oil change receipt is valid, because it contains my license plate number but not my VIN number. I assure you, it's a valid receipt, and the oil has been regularly changed. Are they suggesting that I might have pulled the engine out of my car, found another identical vehicle, pulled out its engine, swapped it with mine, got the oil changed, then un-swapped it, therefore rendering the warranty void?

If I had access to a shop where I could just randomly pull engines, I wouldn't be driving a Hyundai and I wouldn't be shopping at CarMax. They are also leaving me without a loaner vehicle until they decide whether or not to honor this claim. All I did was purchase a car and a warranty. I hate being treated like a criminal, being without a loaner vehicle, and being given the runaround by this MaxCare (DBA The Warranty Group) company. I specifically got it for peace of mind, so I knew car repairs would never get in the way of me driving to work. So far, this is not my experience.

Incidentally, the people at North Bethesda Hyundai are superb. They're doing their best, but are, though no fault of their own, caught in the same agreement I am, because of the extended warranty. I've already spent $25 on an Uber to get to work this morning and will probably take a few more of those before all of this is settled. Let's see how long this goes...

Maxcare Auto Warranty Company Information