1.88/5
Based on 90 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION
Auto Warranty Expired?

91 Maxcare Auto Warranty Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I bought a MaxCare warranty for my Porsche Cayman. Took it in to the dealer to get a door latch fixed and to check the steering. After they fixed everything the total came to about $2700. MaxCare paid $1300 - $150 for my deductible. They refused to pay for the alignment that was needed after the repair was done. Clips and misc. parts that were needed or shop supplies.

Original review: Aug. 16, 2018

I have purchased 4 cars from CarMax over the past 9 years and carry the complete MaxCare warranty on all of them. I never had an opportunity to use one until last week. My 2011 Nissan Rouge had an HVAC blower go out so I contacted MaxCare and was greeted very professionally. I asked if it was covered and was told YES anything that is not in the exclusion pages was covered. I initiated the process at my local repair shop. After verification the blower and control was replaced. We then found that the compressor had also failed after startup. I was concerned that I would be charged for the deductible two times. Not the case. The agent had the repair shop replace it under the same request. Great service. I will continue to take the warranty with my next car.

Get expert buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2018

Unlike many others here, I had a pretty good experience with MaxCare. I've bought warranty 3y ago, and used it now for the first time (until now car was fine). I got a dead battery, and alternator also needed replacement. They have paid for both, so I'm positively surprised, since one could argue that battery is a wear part. I only paid a deductible. Maybe some folks don't realize that so many parts of a car are wear parts, and warranty does not cover them? Or maybe don't do maintenance frequently enough to keep the coverage? Not sure. Anyway my experience is good, and I can recommend MaxCare.

Original review: Aug. 2, 2018

Maxcare refused to cover the cost to repair my car by making up a bogus excuse. I was on the hook for over 1000 dollars. They also took over 2 weeks to give the dealership the approval to work on the car and was left without a car for over 3 weeks. I even called the warranty center and they stated it would be covered if the part that broke wasn’t due to negligence or abuse. They lied about that again. The customer service at their warranty center is awful refusing to let me speak to another person that may help my situation. Their representative also got angry at me and curse over the phone. If I could rate them lower I would. Never buy from CarMax again.

Original review: June 2, 2018

Brought my 2008 F250 in for service to a Ford dealership on Tuesday. Ford called Maxcare and Maxcare agreed to pay for the repairs minus my deductible... Truck was done Wednesday and Ford couldn't release the truck to me 'till Maxcare paid them. After several calls to Maxcare by Ford and myself this still is not paid. Here it is Friday and I am still without my truck. They don't open again 'till Monday so I am without it all weekend and get to call and try to get them to pay. This is obnoxious. It's going to cost me more money in Uber getting back and forth to work than what the repair cost will be.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Maxcare Auto Warranty?

Original review: May 3, 2018

My husband and I purchased the extended Maxcare warranty from CarMax less than a year ago for our 2016 GMC Yukon XL. We were told we would have a rental car so we wouldn’t have to be worried about not having a car if the Yukon broke down. The transmission in my 2016 Yukon started slipping so stopped driving it and we called the CarMax Service department. They said they wouldn’t even look at my vehicle for FIVE DAYS!!! It sat in my driveway unusable for a few days and then sat on their lot for a couple days before they even diagnosed it.

On top of that when I thought that I had a rental, since my husband commutes an hour to work and an hour home every day and there is no option for us to share vehicles, they told me they couldn’t give me a rental car until they diagnosed what was wrong with my car... which took 5 days!! So my mom thankfully was out on disability from work so she had to drive me around to take kids to school and Home and to Dr's appts I had scheduled.

Now today when they finally approved my rental car so I go to pick it up, they only approved a FORD FIESTA! My toddler's car seat barely even fit in the back seat! She can’t even put her legs down. They are crunched to the back of the front seat. AND I’m only allowed to have the rental for 7 days even if it takes longer than that to fix my car! Which is most likely will because now CarMax can’t even fix it. They have to tow it to GMC for them to fix where it is going to sit for who knows how long because they are too busy to fix it too.

Original review: April 2, 2018

Anybody want to contact me at ** to file a class section lawsuit please do! They won’t reimburse my money paid to have my car fixed. They keep saying they don’t receive the fax with all documentation requested and now they say they can’t read the documents via email. This has been going on for 4 weeks now.

Original review: March 13, 2018

I have Kia Sorento... It leaking Oil pressure switch oil pan and Timing cover leaking. I had drop my vehicle on KIA dealer for 5 day. Dealer follow up with Maxcare. They bill around 3000K for repair. Maxcare take care all of things. I have only pay 50 dollar copay. I am very happy with insurance. I recommend it.

Original review: March 9, 2018

I was really nervous about what we would have to go through when we submitted our first warranty claim. Yesterday my husband took our van into our local repair shop because of some clunking noises we had been hearing, and they found that there was a stabilizer bar that had broken and also noted that the rack and pinion were starting to leak. We had the auto shop call Maxcare's number to get preauthorization to work on it, and they gave it over the phone that morning. We had to pay for another repair on our own because it wasn't covered, but the two things mentioned above were covered by Maxcare and saved us $1,100. We got our car back by the end of the day totally repaired. So far, so good!

Original review: Jan. 23, 2018

I bought a 2011 Cadillac SRX and a problem with a oil leak in front of the motor. It cost 900.00 to fix. I paid 50.00. Next Year my air conditioner went bad. It cost 2200.00 to fix. I paid 50.00 bucks. So far Maxcare has been good to me.

Original review: Jan. 15, 2018

I purchased the $3500 Maxcare Auto Warranty when I purchased my 740i BMW. I started having issues with my engine, so it was taken to the BMW dealer. It took over two weeks for my car to be fixed with included a week of dead time due to hurricane Irma (Sept 2017). We paid for our rental (which is suppose to be reimbursed), submitted all required paperwork and receipts to Maxcare so that they could send us our check. Well as of today Jan 2018, we have made numerous attempts to see what the hold up was and every time we speak with someone, they tell us it’s being processed and there’s nothing else for them to do.

All we want is for them to follow through on their end. I recently contacted someone else via email, and again the representative stated that she was sorry and they will be sending it out!! I don’t feel secure that it will be sent “this time” either, because we’ve been told this so many times before!! We just want what’s due to us... which was stated in the contract, reimbursement from our rental car payment!!

Original review: Dec. 14, 2017

I took my car to the dealership as there were metal fragments in my oil and the vehicle was running rough. I was told that I needed an engine. I told them I had this Carmax warranty. The dealership called the warranty and was told that I had to authorize time for them to teardown the engine to find the exact cause. This cost me $900 just for the teardown just to have the engine replaced. That was half the cost of the engine. This is such a ** warranty and do not recommend to anyone!!! What's the point of paying for a warranty if I'm going to have to fork up more money just to use it?

Original review: Nov. 30, 2017

So I brought my 2013 Lincoln MKZ into Carmax in Westborough where I purchased the vehicle about a year ago because the rear end was making a lot of noise. Come to find out the rear air suspension was faulty and wasn't working. Bought the Maxcare warranty $3500 for repairs like this. No problem right? Nope. Get a call at 12 saying Maxcare refused to pay for anything. ** joke. Now I'm stuck with a $1000 bill and mind you the car only has 40,000 miles on it. Shouldn't be replacing air suspension at those miles. I called them today and asked for my money back. Will never use them again. Huge waste of money and time.

Original review: Oct. 20, 2017

We purchased the CarMax warranty. It allegedly covers major repairs. So when our car did not start we phoned to see if we could get the car towed there for repairs. Their response was that we could do that but would have to wait 10 days for the repair to take place. What good is that? This is my second bad experience. The first time I phoned CarMax to get a simple oil change the lines were busy so I left a message for a call back. They never called back. What good is the warranty with that kind of service?

Original review: Oct. 17, 2017

I bought a car from Carmax and accepted the extended warranty from the sales associate, who said it was the greatest thing since sliced bread... Confirmed that I could simply "bring the car to any authorized repair place or dealership, pay $300 for the repair (on covered items), and get a loaner vehicle while the service was being done." Great, right? Wrong. It's been so much more complicated, and I still don't have a loaner vehicle. Eleven months after I purchased my car, the engine began to eat itself. I heard a loud knocking. Brought it to a Hyundai dealership directly for servicing (Carmax wouldn't make me an in-house appointment for two weeks-- they suggested I continue to drive/damage the car in the meantime!).

Hyundai diagnosed it the same morning I dropped it off. It was bad. They called to confirm the warranty service with MaxCare. The insurance company immediately demanded my last oil change receipt. "J'ACCUSE!" They want to blame this on me. Great. Luckily, I value my car, so I change my oil. I had a receipt. I sent it. Later, the same day: They are now trying to decide (while I wait, in limbo) if the oil change receipt is valid, because it contains my license plate number but not my VIN number. I assure you, it's a valid receipt, and the oil has been regularly changed. Are they suggesting that I might have pulled the engine out of my car, found another identical vehicle, pulled out its engine, swapped it with mine, got the oil changed, then un-swapped it, therefore rendering the warranty void?

If I had access to a shop where I could just randomly pull engines, I wouldn't be driving a Hyundai and I wouldn't be shopping at CarMax. They are also leaving me without a loaner vehicle until they decide whether or not to honor this claim. All I did was purchase a car and a warranty. I hate being treated like a criminal, being without a loaner vehicle, and being given the runaround by this MaxCare (DBA The Warranty Group) company. I specifically got it for peace of mind, so I knew car repairs would never get in the way of me driving to work. So far, this is not my experience.

Incidentally, the people at North Bethesda Hyundai are superb. They're doing their best, but are, though no fault of their own, caught in the same agreement I am, because of the extended warranty. I've already spent $25 on an Uber to get to work this morning and will probably take a few more of those before all of this is settled. Let's see how long this goes...

Original review: Oct. 11, 2017

The last time I brought my car to MaxCare (the car service within CarMax), they told me my headlight was non-operative and that I need to replace the entire panel. I asked them several times why I had to replace them all since, first I got them replaced less than a year ago and second, the headlight was on and off randomly, not like it was off all the times. They did not provide any explanation and told me that's the only way to fix it. I agreed since I trust their professionalism. When I got my car back, the next evening, the same issue happened when the headlight was on and off within 5 minutes each time I turned the engine on.

I took several pictures and brought the car back. At first, they told me there was nothing wrong but I insisted and showed them the picture. They agreed to keep the car for another 24 hours and decided to change the switch. It worked after that. But then, when I asked them, why we had to change the all headlights earlier because obviously, it did not fix the problem. They could not answer me clearly either and just said it was a different problem. Now, I feel like I cannot trust their service anymore.

Original review: Oct. 2, 2017

I purchased an extended warranty through Carmax for Maxcare. It wasn't a year until the car would not start. I towed it to Carmax. What a mistake. It was 4 days before anyone even looked at it. The communications from Carmax was poor. Maxcare representatives told me that they would not provide a rental car until the issue with car was known. Carmax never was able to determine the issue. After a week, they towed the car to a dealer. It was more than 8 days before they determined the cause. Maxcare reps finally authorized a rental car and said that they would call the car rental company to set up a direct pay. However, when I turned the car in, no payment was set up. My experience with Maxcare has been unbelievably bad. I would advise anyone thinking of purchasing a Maxcare warranty to rethink their decision. I will never buy another car from Carmax or a warranty from Maxcare.

Original review: Sept. 25, 2017

Customer service is horrible! They like to take your money but won't approve your claim. I have a 2009 Subaru Impreza, I bought used from CarMax with 42 and some change mileage. I put 44 or so on it in 5 yrs. Good car wanted to keep for daughter, anyway I do my own maintenance buy oil by the case when on sale when shopping for the house, so I don't keep the receipts.

Car broke down, had towed to shop, they wanted me to pay 867 for engine dismantle and pics sent to them. But if they don't honor it you pay the full cost. I told them I can't gamble that kind of money. Then Maxcare called and said we will send guy out to listen to it, he did got call and they asked for service records, but basically if you have no records it's denied. I said, "What is wrong with it?" They said, "Pay 867 and we will know." I said, "How can you deny a claim when you don't even know what's wrong with it?" I told them, "I have never put a claim in till now and if you won't approve it I want my money back." Basically THEY ARE LEGALLY STEALING YOUR MONEY. DO NOT BUY THIS CRAP!!! I got nowhere with them, I owe on the car still and they screwed me. I hope this rip off company goes out of business. The worst part is this is all you can do about it is a review.

Original review: July 21, 2017

In November 2015, I purchased a 2010 Toyota Prius from CarMax; I was told to buy the Extended warranty from Maxcare by the car salesman. She said the extended warranty company was part of CarMax and the warranty taken anywhere. I never had to use the warranty until July of 2017. When my car's air condition stop getting cold, so I went to MyHonestMechanic repair for a diagnosis. They told me I would need a radiator $380.00 and Condenser $285.00 the total cost being $1,122.03 with labor. The repair shop had attempted to contact MAxcare since July 13, 2017, but every time we have called Maxcare extended warranty, they would not answer the phone calls or kept us on hold after we explained to them my car needs repairing.

On July 19, 2017, I was finally able to contact someone from MaxCare after four days of trying to call them which I found out Maxcare call center is based in Mexico. They give me the Underwriting Department. I was told to take my car to the repair shop and go pick up a rental car. I give them my credit card. The next day I get a call from Enterprise Rental Car telling me the insurance have not made any arrangements on billing them. I get to the Enterprise Rental Car. I give them my credit card leaving my car at the repair shop, I get a call from the repair shop from Dee Dee, the front receptionist the store calls me and tells me Maxcare could not send out adjudicator because they don't have the repair shop information. But Dee Dee and I had spent 30 minutes with the Maxcare setting up the entire service to my car.

On 07/20/2017 the adjustor Roy came out to see my vehicle. He left and never updated the shop on if the repairs were approved or not. Maxcare is purposely giving me the runaround so that I do not work completed on my car like my contract states. I would like for Maxcare to pay for my repairs in a timely matter. The repair shop and I both have done our part by having my car diagnosis, and I paid for the contract of 1699.00 for this extended warranty and never used it at all. I believe Maxcare are doing this on purposes, so they don't have to pay to have the necessary repair to be done to my vehicle.

Original review: June 15, 2017

DO NOT purchase MaxCare Extended Service Plan! This company looks for any and every possible way to avoid paying for submitted claims. My air conditioner stopped working and I took my car in two hours later for diagnosis and repair. When the service station called to get approval for replacement of the compressor and condenser it was denied. I called back to find out why and was told the compressor was damaged due to a collision and would not be covered. Because the compressor was considered damaged in a collision, the condenser would not be covered either. Meanwhile, I was not in an accident. They explained that if something from the road hit my car from underneath, that is considered "a collision" and therefore would not be covered. Save your money or go with another company!!

Original review: April 18, 2017

An Extended Warranty was purchased through CarMax in 2016. The vehicle was used for travel out of state in 2017 and during this time there was a malfunction on Saturday. The car was towed to a dealership. Monday, Maxcare was contacted. The customer representative confirm the malfunction was covered under the contract Maxcare's contract # was given to me. The Agreement (Contract) # given by CarMax was their #. The dealership was contacted, in turn called Maxcare to get authorization of the repair (Claim # was given) and performed. There has been so many negative complaints. Suggestion: Call 1st.

Original review: April 7, 2017

I bought the Maxcare Warranty through Carmax that was 2800+ dollars. I expected them to take care of me the way that a warranty company should. HECK NO!!!! My transmission went out on my Chevy Malibu, I have done all the maintenance, and taken care of my car mechanically. I had to pay out of pocket for a rental (which is covered under the "Warranty") and I just had to pay for another week of a rental because they are sending a INSPECTOR to check the transmission on my car. Mind you they have already had my car for a week, now we wait for the inspector to show which we have no idea when he will. IF they approve the claim then I have to wait another week for the car to get fixed... I am just so annoyed and feel so ripped off. I have never been so disappointed and pissed in my life.

Original review: March 26, 2017

I like others bought the Maxcare warranty from CarMax, and now when I really need it... It took the adjuster 5 days to tell the mechanic to reset the engine sensors and to tell me to continue driving the car. Great way to fix the car Maxcare. And they are not paying for the car rental that is part of warranty as well.

Original review: March 8, 2017

I have a 2013 Nissan Altima I brought from CarMax. I've only had the car short of a year and the transmission went out. I purchase the extended warranty at the time of purchase. I called and they told me which dealership to take it to. From the first time I called I experienced a problem. It took them two days to respond to the dealership. Once the tech told them it was the transmission the warrant group instructed them to fix the recalls and return it to me. The tech told them this would not fix the transmission. However the tech did what was they ask. I got the car back and on my way home the vehicle did the same exact thing and I was stranded on the side of the road for an hour. I had to struggle to get the car back to the dealership.

So after this happen the warranty group said to put a used transmission. After several conversations they finally decided to pay for a new transmission. Not only did I experience horrible customer service each time I called because they would put me on long holds, transfer me back and forth to different people and nobody knew what the problem was. I also experienced a problem with them not wanting to issue a rental when they said they was and I also had to come out of pocket with nearly 200 just for the rental because they didn't cover it for the entire repair time. So my vehicle was still in the shop and they did not pay for the rental. I've called them and each person say a different story. When asked to speak to a supervisor they gave me even more trouble and he was not willing to help with anything. Worst experience ever with an extended warranty that I purchased. I would not recommend this company even if it was free.

Original review: March 4, 2017

My car is in the shop for several things and Maxcare will not pay for my airbag module. It's under the seat on the passenger side. They said something was spilled on the seat. The dealership that it's at said that they seen a stain so they said something must have spilled. Wow how convenient. They are a joke.

Original review: Jan. 25, 2017

At first I did not know that I had the extended warranty. I went and paid $7000 to get a new engine put in my car because the guy said that he would not cover what was wrong with the warranty. It was my crankshaft had locked up. So do not as I repeat do not pay the $1300 To buy the warranty. It is a rip off. They will not work with you and you are spending $1400 for no reason at all. So please everybody out there do not I repeat do not buy this warranty.

Original review: Jan. 13, 2017

This is my first time writing a product review in my life, but I felt like it was needed in this case. I was on my way back home to Cincinnati, from New York City with my 2011 Buick Lacrosse. On the way my car started acting funny and went into reduced power mode, but I was able to complete the trip. The following Monday, I took it to a local GM dealer, and they said that would contact Maxcare before they would start to do any work. They gave me a vague idea of what was wrong, but it didn't seem to be such a big deal. They then called and said that Maxcare had to have someone come out and inspect the car. I was immediately worried, because of all of the bad reviews I have read online. Then I got the call a few days later saying that Maxcare would be taking care of the issue. I still didn't think much of it. I was just glad that they didn't deny coverage.

I just got my car back about 30 minutes ago and looked at the invoice. The work was extensive and the total Maxcare paid was $6701.28!!! I only paid my $50 deductible and $18.90 for the tax on the rental. I must say, if I didn't have the Maxcare warranty, there is no way I would have been able to come up with $7000 for a car repair! I am so grateful, and this experience helped me to realized how important it is to have a warranty for a car!

Original review: Oct. 4, 2016

We've recently rented a vehicle due to our primary vehicle needing maintenance work, performed by Carmax. After speaking with Maxcare, in terms of reimbursement, we've now received three separate dates for which payment processing would take place. The response from Maxcare, ironically, showed a non-caring approach to funds we are waiting to have reimbursed. As if to say, they are doing us a favor rather than taking an approach we're simply trying to comply with what is outlined in Maxcare's useless extended warranty contract.

Original review: Aug. 10, 2016

When I purchased my Maxcare Warranty from CarMax, I assumed CarMax was underwriting the warranty (Car MAX = MAX care). They do not. MaxCare is a third-party vendor. That means CarMax does not stand behind the warranty, but it does hide behind the fine print. I went in with a list of 8 minor and 1 mid-level problem with my car, having purchased a 150,000 mile warranty through MaxCare. I was told that each item would incur a $59.95 diagnostic charge at Carmax, and if MaxCare denied the repair(s) as not being covered by the warranty, I would have to pay the diagnostic fee for each denied claim to CarMax. This seemed unreasonable, since I was simply inquiring as to whether or not the items would be covered under the warranty, and I assumed CarMax would tell me what was covered, what was not covered and give me the option of repairing the uncovered ones. That is what I believed I had purchased. I had not.

At this point I was directed to the business center so they could listen to me complain about the warranty. However, the business center does not approve repairs, so to get approval I would have to speak with the service manager. The service manager told me what their fee schedule is and that they have to diagnose the problem and forward it to the warranty company, and that is something they, like all auto repair shops, do. If I had questions about the warranty he would be glad to bring me over to the business center, and he was sorry if someone in sales was not clear about my purchase, but he could not do anything about that since he was only involved in repairs. That's when I understood how the scam works. It goes like this: CarMax offers a third-party warranty with a company whose name sounds like it is a part of CarMax, but it is not.

CarMax makes no effort to dispel this misunderstanding with prospective buyers. Hence, I say it is deceptive and misleading. The business center draws up the paperwork that the salesperson orders and the business center has you sign it, not the salesperson. This compartmentalizes and insulates the actions of each department from the other with no one being accountable for the entire customer experience. Once the salesperson has his/her commission, it's sayonara, baby. The business center handles the warranty complaints, and cheerfully offered to refund my money on a prorated basis if I did not like the terms (just thinking about the most likely schedule for proration they would then lay out was more than I could take at that moment, since my head would have split open when I learned the pittance I would be due). They did not sell it to me, and they do not make service decisions. That's sales and service, respectively.

The service department is it's own profit center. It's essentially a privately run auto shop inside a Carmax. They will do everything a private auto repair shop does, and nothing on behalf of Carmax. I'm sure Carmax directly pays them to run the 150 point inspections and everything else, and I would not be surprised to find out they pay rent there, although I have no idea.

Each department is completely separate in its duties. There is no one who will come out and talk to you who has authority over all the departments, or even over more than one. Hence, the service department is not responsible for how the warranty works, the sales person does not deal with warranty issues, and the business department simply had me sign the papers the sales department ordered, but I am the one who signed them. They have insulated themselves from complaints about the warranties because no one person or department is ultimately in charge of the entire process, at least not anyone I have been able to locate yet.

Ultimately, I believe I will have to file a complaint against CarMax with the BBB in order to get some leverage. If the BBB will send a complaint to CarMax requesting they respond to me, then one of the suits may get motivated to pick up the phone and give me a reason to tell the BBB that I am satisfied with the manner in which they resolved the complaint. Short of that, I'll just take the little things to a local guy who is both honest and inexpensive, and save the warranty for the big-ticket items.

Original review: July 20, 2016

I purchased my Mercedes 300C from CarMax and decided to proceed with the extended warranty. My car broke down the other day and the hassle I had to endure to get my car repaired was ridiculous. This extended warranty process is a scam - buyer beware. It resulted in five phone calls totaling over 3 hours of my personal time to get the situation resolved. They were arguing with Mercedes over $150 in labor and wanted my car to be towed to another dealership for repair that was 30 minutes away. This fiasco added an additional two days to the repair process. They FINALLY agreed to approve it being repaired at the dealership it was originally towed to but it was an extremely frustrating and exhausting process. I was told multiple times that no supervisor was available to speak with me - "they were in a 2 hour meeting".

However, after I lost my composure, and demanded a supervisor, I got sent to voicemail. Needless to say that didn't help matters. Once I called for the fifth time and again demanded a supervisor, I was transferred to one. That involved an extensive conversation where he very unhappily agreed to fulfill my request but informed me he would not honor it again moving forward... HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE. Buyers should also be informed if there are only "select" Mercedes dealerships that can be used. I consider this a bait & switch situation and would NEVER purchase this warranty through CarMax.

Not sure about Maxcare Auto Warranty?
    Take our two minute quiz to find the right Extended Auto Warranties for you.

Maxcare Auto Warranty Company Information

www.carmax.com

Want to know more?
    You look like a savvy shopperWant to know more?

Make purchase decisions like an expert.

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business