MaxCare Auto Warranty

MaxCare Auto Warranty
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.98/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

If you purchase a vehicle through the national used car seller CarMax, you automatically receive its 4,000-mile/90-day limited warranty. However, you’re also eligible to buy the more robust MaxCare extended auto warranty. MaxCare offers a high level of coverage and a suite of benefits, but it’s only available at the point of purchase.

Top MaxCare Auto Warranty Reviews We Found

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Maxcare Auto Warranty?

Unfortunately, 4 months after buying my ATS it needed a $3700.00 rear differential replacement … Then my Jetta needed $4500.00 front end repair work … I could not be happier with my investment in these warranties and will never buy a used car without one again.

I bought the warranty for $3500 last year. Right after I had the MB SUV for one year, it started to have lots of issues. In the last three month, I had transmission replaced $7000, starter, $1603.66, idler pulley $681.56, engine mounts $2691.17. That's $12000 in total. All I have to pay is $500 deductible.

Find my match

BOTTOM LINE

MaxCare is the optional extended warranty that CarMax customers can add to a used vehicle purchase. The plans are transferable and provide good coverage, but some companies offer more add-on benefits.

PROS

• Transferable
      • Coverage for used cars
      • Great coverage

CONS

• Only available through CarMax

What is MaxCare?

MaxCare is an auto warranty that gives you additional benefits and coverage for your vehicle, even if the factory warranty is still in effect. In the case of a breakdown, CarMax pays for the repair minus the deductible, which you're responsible for paying. You only need to pay one deductible per visit, not per repair. The deductible and mileage covered by the warranty are flexible, so you can choose terms that work for you.

How much does MaxCare cost?

The cost for a MaxCare auto warranty ranges from $1,000 to $8,500. The price varies based on the value of the car. When you pay for a MaxCare auto warranty, you can wrap it into the cost of the vehicle. Whatever you end up paying, look at the monthly cost and make sure you can afford it in addition to your car payment.

What does MaxCare cover?

With the MaxCare auto warranty, the following parts and systems are covered:

• Engine
      • Steering
      • Suspension
      • Cooling systems
      • Climate control

Repairs for these parts and systems can be made at any ASE-certified facility — MaxCare pays the shop directly. You can ask for a sample contract to see more details about MaxCare’s coverage.

MaxCare auto warranty benefits

MaxCare warranties come with specific benefits. The warranties don’t include trip interruption reimbursement or the cost of emergency tires and fuel, but the rental car reimbursement is good. You can take advantage of these benefits even if your car is still under a factory warranty.

• Rental car reimbursement: MaxCare's warranty covers up to $40 per day for up to seven days of car rental if your vehicle is in the shop for repairs.
      • Emergency roadside assistance: You’re covered up to $100 in services per occurrence.
      • Fuel delivery: Get fuel delivered in an emergency, but the cost of gas is not included.
      • Flat tire assistance: Receive help when a tire goes flat, but this doesn’t cover the cost of replacing the tire.

MaxCare auto warranty FAQ

How do I contact CarMax MaxCare?
      You can reach out to CarMax MaxCare by mail, phone, online or through Facebook or Twitter.
      What does the CarMax limited warranty cover?
      CarMax’s limited warranty, which comes automatically with every vehicle, covers the important systems and parts in your vehicle. For more details, speak to a CarMax representative or ask for a sample contract. For longer coverage, you should extend protection with MaxCare.
      What voids a CarMax warranty?
      You void the warranty if you don’t make timely payments, if your vehicle is totaled or if you make prohibited modifications to the vehicle. For full details, consult your MaxCare contract.
      How long is a CarMax warranty?
      The limited warranty that comes with every car from CarMax lasts just 90 days, but the optional MaxCare extended warranty length varies. You can expect most of them to range from three to five years.

Is a MaxCare auto warranty worth it?

If you’re able to make the monthly payments on a MaxCare extended warranty, it might be worth it. The plan itself offers great coverage. The biggest downside is the benefits, which could be better. Several consumer reviews mention being grateful for having significant repairs covered in exchange for an affordable monthly premium. When buying a used car from CarMax, consider an extended auto warranty to protect against the cost of unexpected breakdowns.

MaxCare Auto Warranty Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MaxCare Auto Warranty?
      How do I know I can trust these reviews about Maxcare Auto Warranty?

Original review: Nov. 4, 2020

Maxcare is an absolute waste of time and money! I am going through the claims process today 11-2-2020 and all they've done is deny me after all the money I paid for the insurance. I purchased my vehicle through Carmax and asked for a bumper to bumper extended warranty which they guaranteed me maxcare was. Three months into the car and the catalytic converter breaks...no coverage. One year into the car and the battery doesn't work due to the moon roof having a short so it won't close causing water to leak onto my battery.

They won't cover my alternator being completely broken because of the battery saying they don't cover water damage. Even though the policy states it covers electrical issues. I ask to speak to a supervisor and apparently the company only has two that are all unavailable. They charge an extra 50 dollars on your deductible if you choose your own mechanic. The mechanics that are "in house" are all very far away as most mechanics specifically state they won't deal with them as they often do denials and leave people hanging. DO NOT BUY THIS. DO ANYTHING ELSE BUT NOT MAXCARE. I'm calling the Better Business Bureau!!

Original review: June 29, 2020

I purchased my vehicle in December of 2016 at Carmax in Merriam, Ks. They told me all the good stuff you want to hear and I even read the warranty. Keep in mind I have operated in the car business for 5 years myself. I bought the vehicle with 61,586 on the miles. Just hit 93,000. So 32k in 4 years and I live in Kansas mind you. Over the weekend I was driving in town and my driver side drive axle snapped in half. I pay to have the vehicle towed to my show. They see that it snapped and let me know. So I contact Maxcare to file a claim and find out about the reimbursement process. The first guy I spoke with was pretty nice but you could tell was kinda lost. He places me on hold while he types up his report. Comes back and asks me for my phone number. I provided my number.

A few minutes later his phone dropped the call and he never attempted to call me back (this was after 15 minutes on hold initially and then about 15 minutes with him on the phone. I call back and wait 22 minutes before my call is taken. Called back to verify what else I needed to do so I could get the claim moving and get my tow reimbursement. Find out the first guy put the tow and the repair under different claim numbers. That was wrong so I provided my shop with the wrong number.

So I had to contact them with the repair number not the tow number I was told that was correct. Then the CSR places me on hold for 5-10 minutes and comes back telling me both him and the previous CSR told me incorrectly. That those were numbers they use internally and that I would get the actual claim # when it is approved. That when it was approved I would need to call back again to get the NPA sent out because they have no process to automatically do it. I asked the guy to places notes to have the claims adjuster send it out when approved. He said they don't do it that way. He said" I can put notes in the claim but the adjuster probably won't do it". I went rounds about how inconvenient it was and how I am doing all the work for my warranty reimbursement and they don't do ANYTHING! He just said "I understand" over and over with no provided solution or attempt to save me the time.

I informed him I have spent over an hour of my day with them already. I don't have time to keep calling back and to sit on hold to have my call answered 20 minutes later. Only to get incorrect info both times. Again he could have cared less. Then comes the drive axle that snapped in half and the repair shop contacted Maxcare to speak with the claims adjuster. Only to be told that it was denied after the shop sent them the picture showing it snapped. They said it rusted through. It absolutely did NOT rust through and just had some surface rust. The shop explained to them it was not a failure of the part due to rust, over and over. They denied the claim and I had to pay another $260 out of pocket after the $105 tow I already have paid.

Called to speak with a supervisor and she again said it was my fault it's rusted and that the corrosion was the failure. Even after I explained I have worked in warranty and even seen the part myself. There was zero loss of shaft shape and I didn't hit anything. Of course it will have surface rust after 4 years in Kansas weather with snow. Again she could have cared less and said the claim is denied. These people are a fraud and will NOT cover your repairs like they say. This was my first and only claim presented in 4 years almost. I would NEVER recommend these frauds to anyone and buyer beware!!!! Keep in mind I paid $2200 for this extended warranty. NOT worth it!!!

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 9, 2020

Worse experience I’ve had or witness buying a car. Not even a week off the lot and my car was back in the shop for up to 2 months. Paint kept coming off, air bag light, multiple issues at once throughout the summmer! HOWEVER, they offer you a Maxcare plan that doesn’t secure the customer. My engine goes out a year later and MAXCARE gives me the run around for about 1 and half months. Just to deny my claim... they would NOT replace my engine or pay for a rental while my car was being fixed I had my maintenance receipts and everything. Why make a customer pay on time every month if they CANNOT use the service or warranty!! I would NOT recommend CarMax ESPECIALLY Maxcare to anyone! They are not for the customer!!

Original review: May 13, 2020

I called the provider to confirm a claim I would make to get an alternator replaced would be covered. The representative said yes and then went out of his way to tell me that all labor required to replace it would also be covered. I learned this wasn't the case when I got the estimate for the repairs back from my mechanic. A few more phone calls to the MaxCare provider later, I got to someone who told me honestly that labor up to a certain point is covered based on national labor allowances. I'll also be looking for a new mechanic, but I didn't appreciate someone going out of their way to lie to me about what's provided, particularly when the difference is a few hundred dollars. Getting to the bottom of up also sucked up much of my work day.

Original review: April 20, 2020

If I could give 0 stars I would. I would not recommend the MaxCare warranty to anyone. They talk a great game and promise you the moon when explaining everything it covers until you take it in for a "covered repair" and they deny the claim. The service guy called them, I called them, the service manager called them to explain the nature of the failure which should have been completely covered and all they would say is, "I'm sorry. We are not going to cover it." REALLY... Don't buy this warranty, you will only get screwed in the end. Period. You will be better off taking the money and putting it in an account....at least it will be worth that much when you need it. CarMax....you should be ashamed!! I will never buy another car from you or let you con me into an extended warranty again! And you can bet I'm going to tell everyone who will listen about my experience...

Original review: Dec. 30, 2019

My wife and I purchased a Honda Odyssey and elected to purchase the top tier MaxCare warranty plan (a $50 deductible) because of the scope of the coverage. We used it to easily change an alternator about 9 months later without any issue. However, our van had a flashing check engine light come on about 6 weeks ago. The MaxCare warranty department decided that the work that needed to be done would not be covered due to "lack of routine maintenance" even though we have all the records proving otherwise. The CarMax-certified repair facility we're using even agreed with our position and contacted MaxCare on our behalf and were told that the claim would be denied (even though the reasons given were NOT routine maintenance items). Long story short - we may be out at least $600 in repairs/labor because MaxCare has decided that they will not honor the warranty provided.

Original review: Dec. 18, 2019

Maxcare has treated me horrible. My 09 Honda CRV has been in the honda dealership for 3 weeks going on 4. They still havent approved my repair which is a faulty engine (I only had the car for a year). The only thing I got free was a tow. I've been unable to pay my car payment because I've been paying for Ubers and car rentals for the past 4 weeks waiting for them to get things rolling. When you call to complain all they tell you is unfortunately this or unfortunately that. This is the worst experience. Carmax isnt treating me any better. Maxcare wont pay for your rental until they approve the repair (waiting on approval for a month now). They want honda to put in a clunker engine so I'll be in this situation another year from now. They don't pay for diagnostic tests unless they approve the repair. And I have a 300 dollar deductible. 2 words MAXCARE SUCKS.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2019

I had called The CarCare number that was given to me by the Carmax guy. His name was Kenneth. Anyway I call the CarCare number and a lady answers. I explain to her the issue at hand. That my car was serviced. And 2 weeks after that same problem arose. I feel I should NOT have to pay a 2nd deductible. The car should had been fixed the 1st time. While she's giving me the run around and stumbling over the lies she's telling me I ask to finally speak to her Supervisor.

I wanted a letter or an email stating that Carcare will not assist me with the waiver of the 2nd deductible. She nor the Supervisor never got back to me. It has been 2 days now and no response. I paid over 3000 dollars for that warranty and they won't even work with me?! Nonsense. So you know what?..All of my future payments for the car...I am sending them your way. And you people can take care of my payments. What did I pay for?? Not even a phone call back! So unprofessional! BBB is next with a review from me.

Original review: Sept. 16, 2019

My customer brought her vehicle in for a simple repair, a washer pump. Called, got an Auth # and ordered the part. Did the repair. Called for payment. Here is where the trouble started. My shop had moved since the last time we did work for one of their policy holders. This started a 3 hour battle to get paid. I had to have the customer call to get the information I needed to get them in order to move forward. After all this they changed what they were willing to pay 3 times. BBW of this outfit. They are not easy to work with and everyone you talk to will give you a different answer.

Original review: July 16, 2019

I purchased a 2011 Infiniti G37 3 years ago. Since then, I’ve had to replace the slave cylinder because my clutch went out, I had to replace my transmission, couple malfunctions like my windows not going up and down properly, and now my AC stopped working and found out I had to get a new condenser because it’s cracked. THEY DID NOT COVER A PENNY.

They said they cover “only mechanical issues.” My condenser that needs to be replaced is considered a mechanical issue. The part is a condenser radiator dual part meaning it’s sold as an assembly which is about $600 and they denied it. I’m not sure why it cracked but I told them maybe I hit a rock or something and they said they wouldn’t cover it because it wasn’t a malfunction in the part. They need to do an inspection before approving it but why does an inspection need to be done if I was just told it won’t be covered because it wasn’t a part failure? In the 3 years I’ve had their warranty, I haven’t used it once because they didn’t want to cover anything. As of today, I’m canceling my warranty because it’s a WASTE OF MONEY and having the rest of the amount go towards my premium. It’s a freaking scam.

MaxCare Auto Warranty Company Information