MaxCare Auto Warranty

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

About MaxCare Auto Warranty Reviews

If you purchase a vehicle through the national used car seller CarMax, you automatically receive its 4,000-mile/90-day limited warranty. However, you’re also eligible to buy a more robust MaxCare extended auto warranty. MaxCare offers a high level of coverage and a suite of benefits, but it’s only available at the point of purchase.

Find Extended Auto Warranties partners near you

Pros

• Can be included in monthly payment
    • Variety of plans and deductibles
    • Cancel anytime

Cons

• Only available at time of car purchase
    • Possible cancellation/transfer fee

Bottom Line

MaxCare is the optional extended warranty that CarMax customers can add to a used vehicle purchase. The plans are transferable and provide good coverage, but some companies offer more benefits.

Top MaxCare Auto Warranty Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Maxcare Auto Warranty?

Verified

Verified

I have always had a good experience using their MaxCare warranty. My first car I purchased … had a problem with one of the windows. … The process could have been faster, but they ...

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

What is MaxCare?

MaxCare is an extended auto warranty that extends coverage past CarMax’s 90-day/4,000-mile limited warranty. If your car breaks down, you can take your vehicle to a repair shop and CarMax will pay for the covered repairs, minus your deductible. There are a number of different MaxCare plans and deductible options, so you can find coverage that meets your needs and budget. MaxCare is only available at the time you purchase a used vehicle from CarMax.

What does MaxCare cover?

MaxCare auto warranties cover the following parts and systems:

• Engine
    • Steering
    • Suspension
    • Cooling systems
    • Climate control

Repairs for these parts and systems can be made at any licensed facility in the U.S. or Canada that offers a six-month/6,000-mile warranty on labor and parts. MaxCare pays the shop directly. You can ask for a sample contract to see more details about MaxCare’s coverage.

MaxCare cost

The cost for a MaxCare auto warranty varies based on the following factors:

• The make, model, model year and mileage on your vehicle
    • The plan and deductible amount you select
    • How many miles you drive per year
    • Whether you pay upfront or finance the purchase

You can get a quote on a MaxCare contract when you purchase a vehicle from CarMax.

MaxCare FAQ

How do I contact CarMax MaxCare?
    You can reach out to CarMax by calling, filling out an online message form, reaching out on social media or visiting a CarMax store.
    What does the CarMax limited warranty cover?
    CarMax’s limited warranty, which comes automatically with every vehicle, covers repairs to the car’s major systems and hundreds of parts, plus labor. It lasts for 90 days or 4,000 miles (whichever comes first). For more details, speak to a CarMax representative or ask for a sample contract at a store.
    What voids a CarMax warranty?
    For information about what voids your warranty, see your contract, or ask a CarMax representative.
    How long is a CarMax warranty?
    The limited warranty that comes with every car from CarMax lasts 90 days or 4,000 miles — whichever comes first. A MaxCare warranty lasts multiple years.

Is MaxCare worth it?

If you’re able to afford a MaxCare extended warranty, it might be worth it. It offers coverage for essential systems and parts in your car. Several consumer reviewers mention being grateful for having the cost of significant repairs covered. If you’re buying a used car from CarMax, consider an extended auto warranty to protect against the cost of unexpected breakdowns.

MaxCare Auto Warranty Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MaxCare Auto Warranty?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Maxcare Auto Warranty?

Original review: Oct. 31, 2021

I purchased a 2015 GMC Acadia from CarMax and got the best MaxCare warranty - 5 years, 50K miles, zero deductible at preferred shops. After 2 years, the car started falling apart. In the space of a year and a half, I had it in the shop at least 10 times. MaxCare paid out a solid $10K in repair bills in that time, with never a bit of hassle. Never cost me a dime. Couldn't have been a better experience.

Original review: Oct. 14, 2021

Experiencing delamination of the 8.4" Touchscreen on my 2018 Ram 1500. I have the MaxCare extended warranty and it is supposed to also cover electronics but nobody except the Ram dealership will work on the touchscreen--and, of course, they are not a MaxCare repair shop. I have called several MaxCare recommended shops and they all say to take it to the dealer.

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Sept. 13, 2021

I am very unhappy with MaxCare after speaking with them and my dealership. My car is just out of warranty and only 3 years old. I am beyond frustrated and cancelled the remainder of my contract. I paid a huge amount at purchase and for what? I am stuck with the repair bill.

Original review: July 7, 2021

We are a repair shop attempting to contact MaxCare on a customer's behalf to authorize a repair. So far, we have been unable to speak with a representative, been given the runaround and left on hold for over 75 minutes checking the status of our claim. Our shop deals with warranty companies frequently, and most of them are professional and courteous. I would not recommend MaxCare and highly doubt that they will ever pick up the phone or answer our inquiries. Feels like a scam to me.

Original review: June 25, 2021

Well whenever something is wrong or if I even think something might be wrong they take care of me. Got the car from Carmax and happy I got extended warranty. I thought just for peace of mind but it works and it’s worth the money.

Original review: May 13, 2021

My truck was repaired by Ford, had Maxcare coverage to cover rental for week, put claim in and you get NOTHING! Tarique ** from MAXCARE CLAIMS took my claim info but still have no refund check($200) and it been since February of 2021!!! They also do not pick up their phone or call back, even though they say they will. DO NOT BUY!!! YOU ARE PRE WARNED!!!

Original review: April 16, 2021

I purchased the Maxcare warranty a few years ago. I purchased a vehicle that came with a lift kit. The adjuster came out to the shop I selected and denied the claim for a safety issue within my wheel bearings and axel. All because, I purchased a vehicle that came with mods. What is the point in paying for this policy if the claim is being denied for something that has nothing to do with me? Had they been upfront with me about the lift in the beginning. I would have considered another vehicle. This is unacceptable business practices! I will likely never again purchase a vehicle from CarMax!

Original review: March 15, 2021

I have purchased three cars from Carmax over the years, and I have always had a good experience using their MaxCare warranty. My first car I purchased around 2005 with a MaxCare warranty had a problem with one of the windows (it would not raise or lower). It also had some trouble with the weather stripping. I asked them if they could fix it, and they took the car in. It took them a little longer than they originally expected because they were waiting on the part. I didn't think I would need a rental at first, but since it took a couple of extra days, I went ahead and got a rental, which they covered. The process could have been faster, but they covered the window and even though the weather stripping wasn't covered, they fixed it anyway.

My second car, I never needed to take in for repairs. My third car, I have taken in twice, with a possible third time coming up. The first time I took it in, there was something wrong with the cables that connected to the battery (I'm not a mechanic so pardon my ignorance on what was wrong), so that when I turned the car off at the gas station, it did not turn back on when I was finished. I had it towed to CarMax using my Geico towing and CarMax quickly helped me to get a free rental and repaired the car in a couple of days. Since I took it to CarMax, it was free.

The second time I took my third car in, I had trouble with the automatic locks (only working intermittently), the turn signal (sticking when I turned right, having to hold onto it to make it work for a left turn), and the heated windows (not working to de-ice the rear window). It turns out the heated windows weren't covered, so I didn't worry about that. They replaced the automatic locking system and the turn signal, and gave me a free rental until it was fixed. I also didn't pay anything for them to fix it since I brought it to CarMax.

My advice to anyone considering the MaxCare coverage is to research and make sure to read the fine print. Find out exactly what is covered and what isn't, so there won't be any surprises when your car needs repairs. Make sure to make your payments on time, and make sure to take your car to get the oil changed regularly, since certain things won't be covered if it's due to not maintaining your vehicle properly. Also, pay close attention to how long the coverage lasts. It's usually a certain amount of miles OR a certain number of years (whichever comes first). Be careful to know how long it's valid so you don't accidentally try to file a claim and it won't be covered due to being out of date.

TL;DR: Maxcare Coverage worked well for me!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

I detest the phone calls that come almost daily. You cannot turn them off. I would not purchase on on a bet. They will not take NO for a answer. I wish they had a phone number of their group to stop the calls once and for all.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2020

Good service! Excellent coverage. Coverage for all the essential failures that can occur. Reliable car care for those unanticipated breakdowns. I strongly recommend. If you can find a better maintenance insurance, buy it. But, I don't think you will. The cost is comparable. Treat yourself well. This year of 2020 has made us all reliant on another; in so many ways! Be SAFE!

Quick and easy. Get matched with an Auto Warranty partner.

MaxCare Auto Warranty Company Information