Find an Extended Auto Warranties partner

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

About MaxCare Auto Warranty

If you purchase a vehicle through the national used car seller CarMax, you automatically receive its 4,000-mile/90-day limited warranty. However, you’re also eligible to buy the more robust MaxCare extended auto warranty. MaxCare offers a high level of coverage and a suite of benefits, but it’s only available at the point of purchase.

Find Extended Auto Warranties partners near you

Pros

• Transferable
    • Coverage for used cars
    • Great coverage

Cons

• Only available through CarMax

Bottom Line

MaxCare is the optional extended warranty that CarMax customers can add to a used vehicle purchase. The plans are transferable and provide good coverage, but some companies offer more add-on benefits.

Top MaxCare Auto Warranty Reviews

Why Trust ConsumerAffairs
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Maxcare Auto Warranty?

Verified

Unfortunately, 4 months after buying my ATS it needed a $3700.00 rear differential replacement … Then my Jetta needed $4500.00 front end repair work … I could not be happier with ...

Verified

I bought the warranty for $3500 last year. ... In the last three month, I had transmission replaced $7000, starter, $1603.66, idler pulley $681.56, engine mounts $2691.17. That's ...

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

What is MaxCare?

MaxCare is an auto warranty that gives you additional benefits and coverage for your vehicle, even if the factory warranty is still in effect. In the case of a breakdown, CarMax pays for the repair minus the deductible, which you're responsible for paying. You only need to pay one deductible per visit, not per repair. The deductible and mileage covered by the warranty are flexible, so you can choose terms that work for you.

How much does MaxCare cost?

The cost for a MaxCare auto warranty ranges from $1,000 to $8,500. The price varies based on the value of the car. When you pay for a MaxCare auto warranty, you can wrap it into the cost of the vehicle. Whatever you end up paying, look at the monthly cost and make sure you can afford it in addition to your car payment.

What does MaxCare cover?

With the MaxCare auto warranty, the following parts and systems are covered:

• Engine
    • Steering
    • Suspension
    • Cooling systems
    • Climate control

Repairs for these parts and systems can be made at any ASE-certified facility — MaxCare pays the shop directly. You can ask for a sample contract to see more details about MaxCare’s coverage.

MaxCare auto warranty benefits

MaxCare warranties come with specific benefits. The warranties don’t include trip interruption reimbursement or the cost of emergency tires and fuel, but the rental car reimbursement is good. You can take advantage of these benefits even if your car is still under a factory warranty.

• Rental car reimbursement: MaxCare's warranty covers up to $40 per day for up to seven days of car rental if your vehicle is in the shop for repairs.
    • Emergency roadside assistance: You’re covered up to $100 in services per occurrence.
    • Fuel delivery: Get fuel delivered in an emergency, but the cost of gas is not included.
    • Flat tire assistance: Receive help when a tire goes flat, but this doesn’t cover the cost of replacing the tire.

MaxCare auto warranty FAQ

How do I contact CarMax MaxCare?
    You can reach out to CarMax MaxCare by mail, phone, online or through Facebook or Twitter.
    What does the CarMax limited warranty cover?
    CarMax’s limited warranty, which comes automatically with every vehicle, covers the important systems and parts in your vehicle. For more details, speak to a CarMax representative or ask for a sample contract. For longer coverage, you should extend protection with MaxCare.
    What voids a CarMax warranty?
    You void the warranty if you don’t make timely payments, if your vehicle is totaled or if you make prohibited modifications to the vehicle. For full details, consult your MaxCare contract.
    How long is a CarMax warranty?
    The limited warranty that comes with every car from CarMax lasts just 90 days, but the optional MaxCare extended warranty length varies. You can expect most of them to range from three to five years.

Is a MaxCare auto warranty worth it?

If you’re able to make the monthly payments on a MaxCare extended warranty, it might be worth it. The plan itself offers great coverage. The biggest downside is the benefits, which could be better. Several consumer reviews mention being grateful for having significant repairs covered in exchange for an affordable monthly premium. When buying a used car from CarMax, consider an extended auto warranty to protect against the cost of unexpected breakdowns.

MaxCare Auto Warranty Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about MaxCare Auto Warranty?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about Maxcare Auto Warranty?

Original review: June 25, 2021

Well whenever something is wrong or if I even think something might be wrong they take care of me. Got the car from Carmax and happy I got extended warranty. I thought just for peace of mind but it works and it’s worth the money.

Original review: March 15, 2021

I have purchased three cars from Carmax over the years, and I have always had a good experience using their MaxCare warranty. My first car I purchased around 2005 with a MaxCare warranty had a problem with one of the windows (it would not raise or lower). It also had some trouble with the weather stripping. I asked them if they could fix it, and they took the car in. It took them a little longer than they originally expected because they were waiting on the part. I didn't think I would need a rental at first, but since it took a couple of extra days, I went ahead and got a rental, which they covered. The process could have been faster, but they covered the window and even though the weather stripping wasn't covered, they fixed it anyway.

My second car, I never needed to take in for repairs. My third car, I have taken in twice, with a possible third time coming up. The first time I took it in, there was something wrong with the cables that connected to the battery (I'm not a mechanic so pardon my ignorance on what was wrong), so that when I turned the car off at the gas station, it did not turn back on when I was finished. I had it towed to CarMax using my Geico towing and CarMax quickly helped me to get a free rental and repaired the car in a couple of days. Since I took it to CarMax, it was free.

The second time I took my third car in, I had trouble with the automatic locks (only working intermittently), the turn signal (sticking when I turned right, having to hold onto it to make it work for a left turn), and the heated windows (not working to de-ice the rear window). It turns out the heated windows weren't covered, so I didn't worry about that. They replaced the automatic locking system and the turn signal, and gave me a free rental until it was fixed. I also didn't pay anything for them to fix it since I brought it to CarMax.

My advice to anyone considering the MaxCare coverage is to research and make sure to read the fine print. Find out exactly what is covered and what isn't, so there won't be any surprises when your car needs repairs. Make sure to make your payments on time, and make sure to take your car to get the oil changed regularly, since certain things won't be covered if it's due to not maintaining your vehicle properly. Also, pay close attention to how long the coverage lasts. It's usually a certain amount of miles OR a certain number of years (whichever comes first). Be careful to know how long it's valid so you don't accidentally try to file a claim and it won't be covered due to being out of date.

TL;DR: Maxcare Coverage worked well for me!

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2020

Good service! Excellent coverage. Coverage for all the essential failures that can occur. Reliable car care for those unanticipated breakdowns. I strongly recommend. If you can find a better maintenance insurance, buy it. But, I don't think you will. The cost is comparable. Treat yourself well. This year of 2020 has made us all reliant on another; in so many ways! Be SAFE!

Original review: Sept. 13, 2021

I am very unhappy with MaxCare after speaking with them and my dealership. My car is just out of warranty and only 3 years old. I am beyond frustrated and cancelled the remainder of my contract. I paid a huge amount at purchase and for what? I am stuck with the repair bill.

Original review: July 7, 2021

We are a repair shop attempting to contact MaxCare on a customer's behalf to authorize a repair. So far, we have been unable to speak with a representative, been given the runaround and left on hold for over 75 minutes checking the status of our claim. Our shop deals with warranty companies frequently, and most of them are professional and courteous. I would not recommend MaxCare and highly doubt that they will ever pick up the phone or answer our inquiries. Feels like a scam to me.

Original review: May 13, 2021

My truck was repaired by Ford, had Maxcare coverage to cover rental for week, put claim in and you get NOTHING! Tarique ** from MAXCARE CLAIMS took my claim info but still have no refund check($200) and it been since February of 2021!!! They also do not pick up their phone or call back, even though they say they will. DO NOT BUY!!! YOU ARE PRE WARNED!!!

Original review: April 16, 2021

I purchased the Maxcare warranty a few years ago. I purchased a vehicle that came with a lift kit. The adjuster came out to the shop I selected and denied the claim for a safety issue within my wheel bearings and axel. All because, I purchased a vehicle that came with mods. What is the point in paying for this policy if the claim is being denied for something that has nothing to do with me? Had they been upfront with me about the lift in the beginning. I would have considered another vehicle. This is unacceptable business practices! I will likely never again purchase a vehicle from CarMax!

Original review: Jan. 10, 2021

I detest the phone calls that come almost daily. You cannot turn them off. I would not purchase on on a bet. They will not take NO for a answer. I wish they had a phone number of their group to stop the calls once and for all.

Original review: Nov. 4, 2020

Maxcare is an absolute waste of time and money! I am going through the claims process today 11-2-2020 and all they've done is deny me after all the money I paid for the insurance. I purchased my vehicle through Carmax and asked for a bumper to bumper extended warranty which they guaranteed me maxcare was. Three months into the car and the catalytic converter breaks...no coverage. One year into the car and the battery doesn't work due to the moon roof having a short so it won't close causing water to leak onto my battery.

They won't cover my alternator being completely broken because of the battery saying they don't cover water damage. Even though the policy states it covers electrical issues. I ask to speak to a supervisor and apparently the company only has two that are all unavailable. They charge an extra 50 dollars on your deductible if you choose your own mechanic. The mechanics that are "in house" are all very far away as most mechanics specifically state they won't deal with them as they often do denials and leave people hanging. DO NOT BUY THIS. DO ANYTHING ELSE BUT NOT MAXCARE. I'm calling the Better Business Bureau!!

Original review: June 29, 2020

I purchased my vehicle in December of 2016 at Carmax in Merriam, Ks. They told me all the good stuff you want to hear and I even read the warranty. Keep in mind I have operated in the car business for 5 years myself. I bought the vehicle with 61,586 on the miles. Just hit 93,000. So 32k in 4 years and I live in Kansas mind you. Over the weekend I was driving in town and my driver side drive axle snapped in half. I pay to have the vehicle towed to my show. They see that it snapped and let me know. So I contact Maxcare to file a claim and find out about the reimbursement process. The first guy I spoke with was pretty nice but you could tell was kinda lost. He places me on hold while he types up his report. Comes back and asks me for my phone number. I provided my number.

A few minutes later his phone dropped the call and he never attempted to call me back (this was after 15 minutes on hold initially and then about 15 minutes with him on the phone. I call back and wait 22 minutes before my call is taken. Called back to verify what else I needed to do so I could get the claim moving and get my tow reimbursement. Find out the first guy put the tow and the repair under different claim numbers. That was wrong so I provided my shop with the wrong number.

So I had to contact them with the repair number not the tow number I was told that was correct. Then the CSR places me on hold for 5-10 minutes and comes back telling me both him and the previous CSR told me incorrectly. That those were numbers they use internally and that I would get the actual claim # when it is approved. That when it was approved I would need to call back again to get the NPA sent out because they have no process to automatically do it. I asked the guy to places notes to have the claims adjuster send it out when approved. He said they don't do it that way. He said" I can put notes in the claim but the adjuster probably won't do it". I went rounds about how inconvenient it was and how I am doing all the work for my warranty reimbursement and they don't do ANYTHING! He just said "I understand" over and over with no provided solution or attempt to save me the time.

I informed him I have spent over an hour of my day with them already. I don't have time to keep calling back and to sit on hold to have my call answered 20 minutes later. Only to get incorrect info both times. Again he could have cared less. Then comes the drive axle that snapped in half and the repair shop contacted Maxcare to speak with the claims adjuster. Only to be told that it was denied after the shop sent them the picture showing it snapped. They said it rusted through. It absolutely did NOT rust through and just had some surface rust. The shop explained to them it was not a failure of the part due to rust, over and over. They denied the claim and I had to pay another $260 out of pocket after the $105 tow I already have paid.

Called to speak with a supervisor and she again said it was my fault it's rusted and that the corrosion was the failure. Even after I explained I have worked in warranty and even seen the part myself. There was zero loss of shaft shape and I didn't hit anything. Of course it will have surface rust after 4 years in Kansas weather with snow. Again she could have cared less and said the claim is denied. These people are a fraud and will NOT cover your repairs like they say. This was my first and only claim presented in 4 years almost. I would NEVER recommend these frauds to anyone and buyer beware!!!! Keep in mind I paid $2200 for this extended warranty. NOT worth it!!!

Original review: June 9, 2020

Worse experience I’ve had or witness buying a car. Not even a week off the lot and my car was back in the shop for up to 2 months. Paint kept coming off, air bag light, multiple issues at once throughout the summmer! HOWEVER, they offer you a Maxcare plan that doesn’t secure the customer. My engine goes out a year later and MAXCARE gives me the run around for about 1 and half months. Just to deny my claim... they would NOT replace my engine or pay for a rental while my car was being fixed I had my maintenance receipts and everything. Why make a customer pay on time every month if they CANNOT use the service or warranty!! I would NOT recommend CarMax ESPECIALLY Maxcare to anyone! They are not for the customer!!

Original review: May 13, 2020

I called the provider to confirm a claim I would make to get an alternator replaced would be covered. The representative said yes and then went out of his way to tell me that all labor required to replace it would also be covered. I learned this wasn't the case when I got the estimate for the repairs back from my mechanic. A few more phone calls to the MaxCare provider later, I got to someone who told me honestly that labor up to a certain point is covered based on national labor allowances. I'll also be looking for a new mechanic, but I didn't appreciate someone going out of their way to lie to me about what's provided, particularly when the difference is a few hundred dollars. Getting to the bottom of up also sucked up much of my work day.

Original review: April 20, 2020

If I could give 0 stars I would. I would not recommend the MaxCare warranty to anyone. They talk a great game and promise you the moon when explaining everything it covers until you take it in for a "covered repair" and they deny the claim. The service guy called them, I called them, the service manager called them to explain the nature of the failure which should have been completely covered and all they would say is, "I'm sorry. We are not going to cover it." REALLY... Don't buy this warranty, you will only get screwed in the end. Period. You will be better off taking the money and putting it in an account....at least it will be worth that much when you need it. CarMax....you should be ashamed!! I will never buy another car from you or let you con me into an extended warranty again! And you can bet I'm going to tell everyone who will listen about my experience...

Quick and easy. Get matched with an Auto Warranty partner.

MaxCare Auto Warranty Company Information