Maxcare Auto Warranty

Compare Extended Auto Warranty Companies

Research top Extended Auto Warranty Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

We've recently rented a vehicle due to our primary vehicle needing maintenance work, performed by Carmax. After speaking with Maxcare, in terms of reimbursement, we've now received three separate dates for which payment processing would take place. The response from Maxcare, ironically, showed a non-caring approach to funds we are waiting to have reimbursed. As if to say, they are doing us a favor rather than taking an approach we're simply trying to comply with what is outlined in Maxcare's useless extended warranty contract.

When I purchased my Maxcare Warranty from CarMax, I assumed CarMax was underwriting the warranty (Car MAX = MAX care). They do not. MaxCare is a third-party vendor. That means CarMax does not stand behind the warranty, but it does hide behind the fine print. I went in with a list of 8 minor and 1 mid-level problem with my car, having purchased a 150,000 mile warranty through MaxCare. I was told that each item would incur a $59.95 diagnostic charge at Carmax, and if MaxCare denied the repair(s) as not being covered by the warranty, I would have to pay the diagnostic fee for each denied claim to CarMax. This seemed unreasonable, since I was simply inquiring as to whether or not the items would be covered under the warranty, and I assumed CarMax would tell me what was covered, what was not covered and give me the option of repairing the uncovered ones. That is what I believed I had purchased. I had not.

At this point I was directed to the business center so they could listen to me complain about the warranty. However, the business center does not approve repairs, so to get approval I would have to speak with the service manager. The service manager told me what their fee schedule is and that they have to diagnose the problem and forward it to the warranty company, and that is something they, like all auto repair shops, do. If I had questions about the warranty he would be glad to bring me over to the business center, and he was sorry if someone in sales was not clear about my purchase, but he could not do anything about that since he was only involved in repairs. That's when I understood how the scam works. It goes like this: CarMax offers a third-party warranty with a company whose name sounds like it is a part of CarMax, but it is not.

CarMax makes no effort to dispel this misunderstanding with prospective buyers. Hence, I say it is deceptive and misleading. The business center draws up the paperwork that the salesperson orders and the business center has you sign it, not the salesperson. This compartmentalizes and insulates the actions of each department from the other with no one being accountable for the entire customer experience. Once the salesperson has his/her commission, it's sayonara, baby. The business center handles the warranty complaints, and cheerfully offered to refund my money on a prorated basis if I did not like the terms (just thinking about the most likely schedule for proration they would then lay out was more than I could take at that moment, since my head would have split open when I learned the pittance I would be due). They did not sell it to me, and they do not make service decisions. That's sales and service, respectively.

The service department is it's own profit center. It's essentially a privately run auto shop inside a Carmax. They will do everything a private auto repair shop does, and nothing on behalf of Carmax. I'm sure Carmax directly pays them to run the 150 point inspections and everything else, and I would not be surprised to find out they pay rent there, although I have no idea.

Each department is completely separate in its duties. There is no one who will come out and talk to you who has authority over all the departments, or even over more than one. Hence, the service department is not responsible for how the warranty works, the sales person does not deal with warranty issues, and the business department simply had me sign the papers the sales department ordered, but I am the one who signed them. They have insulated themselves from complaints about the warranties because no one person or department is ultimately in charge of the entire process, at least not anyone I have been able to locate yet.

Ultimately, I believe I will have to file a complaint against CarMax with the BBB in order to get some leverage. If the BBB will send a complaint to CarMax requesting they respond to me, then one of the suits may get motivated to pick up the phone and give me a reason to tell the BBB that I am satisfied with the manner in which they resolved the complaint. Short of that, I'll just take the little things to a local guy who is both honest and inexpensive, and save the warranty for the big-ticket items.

I purchased my Mercedes 300C from CarMax and decided to proceed with the extended warranty. My car broke down the other day and the hassle I had to endure to get my car repaired was ridiculous. This extended warranty process is a scam - buyer beware. It resulted in five phone calls totaling over 3 hours of my personal time to get the situation resolved. They were arguing with Mercedes over $150 in labor and wanted my car to be towed to another dealership for repair that was 30 minutes away. This fiasco added an additional two days to the repair process. They FINALLY agreed to approve it being repaired at the dealership it was originally towed to but it was an extremely frustrating and exhausting process. I was told multiple times that no supervisor was available to speak with me - "they were in a 2 hour meeting".

However, after I lost my composure, and demanded a supervisor, I got sent to voicemail. Needless to say that didn't help matters. Once I called for the fifth time and again demanded a supervisor, I was transferred to one. That involved an extensive conversation where he very unhappily agreed to fulfill my request but informed me he would not honor it again moving forward... HORRIBLE CUSTOMER SERVICE. Buyers should also be informed if there are only "select" Mercedes dealerships that can be used. I consider this a bait & switch situation and would NEVER purchase this warranty through CarMax.

We have not been impressed. We paid $2300 for an extended warranty on a Mercedes. We have come 1800 out of pocket on one occurrence, 300 on another. Maxcare provided only 300 in coverage. We would have been better off saving the $2300 for our own repairs. We could have gone to a reasonable shop and not been forced to a dealership which gave charges that warranty would not cover.

We just brought our car to Maine, we purchased when we lived in Florida. The car failed inspection. We need new tires, new brake pads and rotors. We only had this car a year and were told when we bought it all the tires were brand new. They showed us repair slips showing they put new brake pads and that everything passed inspection. The rotors were supposed to be new too. Now all need repairs which will cost us 600 plus dollars. The tires which have been driven maybe 3000 miles are all cracked and we are told must be at least 7 years old. Which means they were old and used when they put them on the car. Brake pads and rotors are not new and are the original ones never replaced.

We called CarMax where we bought the car, said "that's too bad, they are covered so call Maxcare." We did and nope none of this is covered. We paid almost $2000 for this Maxcare which now that I can finally find a copy of what is covered I see that nothing is covered. They are ripping people off and lying to them. Even today they lied to me on the phone. I called back and they said they are sorry they must have read the information wrong. Wow how can you read we cover brake pads and rotors under the section marked not covered. They did repair the back window defrost when we were in Florida that never worked and fixed the damage they caused when opening some panels. But refused to fix a problem with one of the window seals that we complained about when we bought it which they told us before we signed the loan that they had fixed it. Found out 2 days later that was a lie too.

Do not trust these people. Do not buy from them. They prey on people with bad credit and low income. We didn't have great credit at the time and didn't have a large downpayment so we had no choice. Come to find out we could have gone down the road and got the same car cheaper and with a 7.5% interest rate instead of 22.5%.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Maxcare Auto Warranty?

Buyer beware. The recommended repairs from Molle Chevrolet is not covered by the MaxCare Extended Service Plan through Carmax. This warranty will only fix a existing broken part. They refuse to make the recommended repairs. My 2007 Yukon 1500 XL (84,000 miles) is burning 1qt of oil every 1,000 miles. Chevrolet's repair plan is to add a baffle and clean the engine for carbon build-up (total cost per Molle Chevrolet in Blue Springs, MO is $4,000).

MaxCare will not clean a engine for carbon build up as that is normal wear and tear and they will not add a part (baffle) that was not originally on the vehicle. If my motor were to break for any reason here on out, that would not be covered either as it would be due to a pre existing condition. Per Molle Chevrolet, the oil issue is typical on all engines my size prior to 2011. So all in all, the MaxCare extended bumper to bumper warranty that I paid $1,000 for through Carmax is worthless and all Chevy/GMC engines prior to 2011 will burn a lot of oil.

I bought a 2007 Dodge Ram 1500 from Carmax in Frederick. An ongoing issue with the truck, right now it's in a transmission shop and the MaxCare extended warranty I bought from Carmax will not pay for the suggested price to rebuilt my transmission. They want to put a used transmission in my truck with a 6 month warranty. With a rebuild, you get a 1 year warranty. This extended warranty from Carmax SUCKS. Beware, do not buy their extended warranty packages. Buy your own, you already get a 30 day warranty when you buy a used vehicle. Shop for your own warranty. So I'm sitting around while the transmission shop fights with the MaxCare from Carmax to have my transmission fixed the right way.

I purchased my 2010 BMW 325 from CarMax in oct 2014. Every time I brought it for repairs the extended warranty refused to pay MSRP list prices for genuine fact parts and dealer would just charge me the balance since they were not allowed to use outside 3rd party supplied aftermarket parts. The final straw was when the transmission went out and the warranty company wanted to install a used transmission from a salvaged vehicle. I went along with it and this salvaged transmission lasted only 5 months. My vehicle has now been down a total of 4 months!

What makes this such a lousy policy is the clause in there for them to use like, kind and quality parts when available but in this case they have already spent way more in rental and labor using these junkyard parts than if they just used a quality remanufactured part to begin with. What I did finally find out is these weasels do come to their senses once they receive a summons to appear in small claims court. When the vehicle was finally fixed it was traded in for something more dependable. I would never consider a CarMax purchase myself but I do still recommend CarMax to my worst enemies.

This is my first car purchased, I had my car for about 1 1/2 years and I'm having issues with it. My engine is overheating and my heater is blowing out only cold air, was told by Carmax to call Maxcare directly and they should be able to tell me if the coverage will cover my coolant air system, towing and rental (if needed). I then called Maxcare, told them what has been going on with my car. She said she wouldn't be able to give me an estimate or tell me if it covers without someone looking at my car.

I asked her if the problem is dealing with the coolant system (as the mechanic at Carmax thinks is the issue) if they would cover it. She then started to give me attitude telling me she doesn't know and if I understand she can't do anything about it and she doesn't know what I expect her to do. I asked the woman for her name she said her name was MYRA **. She refused to give me her last name. I told her I was going to report her to a manager or corporate about her, she said she DID NOT CARE. Don't know what's going on with companies these days, but seems like representatives can just be rude whenever they feel like it and that managers do not keep them in check.

Car #1- I purchased a 2008 Saab 93 with the Max Care Plan. After a slew of minor problems with it, over a year's time and the lack of parts available due to the company closing down, Carmax agreed to buy me out of the car for more than it was worth and get me into another car. Car #2 - 2009 Audi A4 with the Max Care Plan. Multiple minor problems addressed including a chip in the rear window all addressed with no question (window replaced). After having the car for a few weeks, I noticed it was consuming oil at an abnormal rate. I researched it and Audi was not doing anything for many angry customers with the same problem.

They refused to call it a recall and were telling customers it was normal operations. I took my car to Carmax and again with no questions asked they took the car to Audi to have it worked on. Despite Audi not doing anything for their customers, they were more than willing to (within a few visits) sporadically change out parts until my problem was addressed. All in all, they changed a turbo, multiple seals, all of the pistons, rings, basically a fully rebuild motor, and new turbo. All those parts ($8000 value) and $50 later, my problem was fixed. Carmax never hesitated to give me full service and a loaner car for the extent of the repair. I will forever be a Carmax customer. I just bought my 3rd car from them yesterday!

After owning my car less than one year and driving my car less than 6400 miles, it began having mechanical issues. While I had the car I changed the oil as indicated and did not do anything but drive the car back and forth to work. My car is a used 2012 Mercedes GLK 350 that was purchased from CarMax. I tried to make an appointment with CarMax but they were too busy to get the car in when the pinging in the engine started. They indicated that my warranty allowed me to take it anywhere. I took the car to the nearest Mercedes dealership. They found that the engine and electrical system needed to be replaced which would cost more than $25,000. They did note that the oil was low in the car. They said this was probably a symptom of the overall system failure of the vehicle as low oil would not cause an engine to fail.

Additionally because I had not put a lot of miles on the car, the car was defective when I bought it and the dealership most likely knew it when they sold it to me. Mercedes usually do not fail in this manner. Regardless, this is why you buy a warranty. However, that was two months ago and my car is still in the shop because MaxCare refuses to pay for anything. They won't even pay the $750 diagnostic fee that need to be paid to figure out the problem. Every time you call them they put you to voicemail. They refuse to address the issue. Now I have a worthless car with a huge payment that I thought I protected with what is a worthless warranty.

To top it off, I am very ill and am off of work on medical leave and the stress of the situation has caused me to return the hospital on more than one occasion. I am suppose to avoid all stress as I try to recover but that is impossible given this company's irresponsible and horrible business tactics. MaxCare is one of the worst companies I have come in contact with and CarMax is just as bad. Do not do business with either one.

I dropped off my 2005 Corvette with Sterling Auto Group, Bryan, TX... My harmonic balancer is wobbling & screeching, also my shifter would lock in park. Thanks to Phillip in the service dept my experience was flawless. I checked to see if Maxcare was accepted? He said yes. Everything went great... I picked up my car after paying $100 deductible and was very happy, Maxcare paid out with no problems...

I purchased the MaxCare warranty because it covered up to 150,000 miles. I know most vehicles start having major mechanical breakdowns at 100,000 miles. I do keep records of maintenance to my vehicles. Maybe it's OCD but I learned the hard way before. The automatic transmission will last about 100,000 miles if you do not service it. Once I bought the car, I had all the fluids changed. At 110,000 miles, the transmission started slipping. MaxCare did ask for the service receipt for the transmission and I provided it to them. There was no bickering, delay, or issues. I paid the $300 deductible and had my car back 3 days later. I was happy with the warranty because the transmission and labor came out to $4,200.

I purchased a used Lexus SUV from CarMax. First 10 days, CarMax fixed everything my mechanic discovered was wrong/broken. After that, CarMax referred me back to the dealer for repairs & have the dealer deal with MaxCare to file a claim. I recently had an issue with the Suspension Accumulators had failed. Lexus identified that all four needed to be replaced... When they called MaxCare to file the claim, MaxCare would only authorize one accumulator to be replaced. WTF! MaxCare stated that since only 1 failed, then only 1 gets replaced. No I have two more that are failing, making an interesting ride.

MaxCare refuses to replace them since they have not failed. I have issues with the heated seat & lumbar support. MaxCare says the low heat setting works therefore it doesn't require replacement. MaxCare says the lumbar works if I wiggle the switch until it makes contact. I'm going to buy the parts myself & do the work myself! MaxCare = Super rip off!

We were very lucky to have an acquaintance loan us a car because it took the service provider 59 days to complete the job, primarily due to MaxCare delays. Our daughter's car broke down on 24AUG15. The CarMax dealer told us they could not work on the car until sometime after 9SEP15. I am sure most people do not have an extra car to drive in case one breaks. MaxCare does provide a 7 day (<$40/day) rental during service, which was meaningless for the odyssey we experienced. Since CarMax wouldn't even look at the car until 9SEP, we took the Toyota to a Toyota Service Center. The service provider provided Maxcare with pictures and description of the broken engine the same day, 24AUG15. It took more than 7 days for MaxCare to tell the service provider to go ahead and then more than another 7 days for MaxCare to provide the service provider with an engine.

My only experience in this situation is an engine replacement I needed in Charleston, WV which was completed by the Toyota Service Center in 5 business days including the day I dropped the car off and the day I picked it up. Anyway, the first engine provided was no good. The service provider could not get the engine to time correctly. Again, it took MaxCare more than a week to agree to another engine and more than a week to provide the engine to the service provider. While the engine replacement was going on the service provider found other issues with the car, which MaxCare was also slow giving the go ahead.

We are very fortunate we did not have to rent a car. Our daughter needs to car to commute ~35 miles to school and drive to work. The rental minus the 7 days covered by would have cost us ~$2080, basically because of the non-responsiveness of MaxCare. Also we still needed to pay over $1100 after what MaxCare did pay for because the MaxCare agreement doesn't cover all things that need to be done around the engine when replacing an engine. The engine replacement I had done in West Virginia had a total cost ~$3,500. MaxCare needs to work on its customer service.

I bought Maxcare for my BMW X3 and the transmission failed after one year. They do not want to pay for a new transmission at BMW and send me to a independent shop. They will install a used transmission and will only pay for 1 week of car rental. It's their fault that is taking that long. More than 3 weeks already, I still don't have my car back. Do not buy Maxcare. CPO will be my next car.

I hit a pothole that I couldn't avoid so it damaged the tire rod along with something else. These idiots denied it because they said it could've been avoided. Never in my life. What's the point of paying for a warranty? These people are an complete rip off. Never ever AGAIN.

Good morning, I wanted to follow up and make a new entry that the MaxCare Warranty we purchased from Ford is not all it’s cracked up to be and has made it difficult for me to get work done on my car. My door sensors were going bad on my car and realizing we had purchased extended warranty via MaxCare they starting working with Ford but ended up not wanting to pay Ford so it made Ford's Customer Service look bad but on the contrary Ford was bending over backwards to make the warranty work for us as customers. MaxCare is very difficult. At the end of the day Ford had to absorb most of the cost to my car to satisfy us as customers. I believe the Ford was not at fault and that MaxCare didn't want to comply with their warranty contract we purchased to have for these type of issues. Sad to say I would not be shocked if Ford decides not to sell MaxCare's extended warranty for them and drops them and finds a more cooperative warranty company! Just my thoughts about MaxCare. So disappointed. :(

I purchased a 2011 Hyundai Elantra from CarMax in 2014. I loved the car itself but had some really bad luck with it. It broke down in July of this year and when it was sent to CarMax to be fixed under warranty, I decided to trade it in. Once my car was "fixed", they sent it to the dealership I was working with. The salesmen went to test drive my Elantra to make sure it was fixed and it didn't make it out of the parking lot of the dealership before it broke down again. He placed my car back on the truck and sent it back to wherever CarMax had it being fixed. It took at least a week for my car to be returned back to the dealership, again claiming it was "fixed". This time the dealership ordered a mechanic to inspect the vehicle and he found that again they hadn't fixed my car. The Kia dealership didn't want to hassle with it anymore and just said they'd complete the repairs themselves.

Now my car is fixed but the warranty department refuses to pay the $700 repair charges to Kia. In the meantime, I can't get to my Elantra until the charges are paid. And I can't get the new car until everything is done with the Elantra. This has been since July. I'm a full time student with no vehicle for going on three months now. This has been the worst process and I'm ready for it to be over. CarMax and the Warranty Center both have the WORST customer service I've ever experienced. The level of professionalism is beyond unacceptable. I'll never do any type of business with them or recommend anyone I know to use them for anything again. Hopefully my nightmare will end soon and I won't have to associate with them anymore.

I have 07 GMC Sierra I purchased thru Carmax June 2012. I hooked up a boat and trailer to the truck and noticed my transmission was acting up around spring 2013. The engine would rev up really high so I would let off the gas and the truck would jerk to the next gear with a hard kick. I took it in for service, dealt with (Della south austin location). She sent the truck off to a transmission shop and they told her they could not recreate the transmission issue. This was in 2013 that I still have a voicemail from her stating they couldn't do anything for me since they didn't feel the kick in shifting gears. Della is no longer with carmax and hasn't been since 2013.

I take it back in for the same issues (Aug 20th 2015). The transmission is acting up without pulling any extra weight now. Maxcare authorized the transmission shop to take apart the transmission to find the problem. I was told that the issue is a cracked clutch housing. Now Maxcare is playing their famous "runaround" game asking for transmission service records which I provided and still haven't approved the claim. What I don't understand is the authorization of taking apart the transmission but not fixing it and putting it back together. What sense does that make maxcare? The sole purpose of me purchasing the warranty was they claimed to cover the transmission. Now that I need a new transmission they are doing everything in their power not to pay for it. Am I asking too much for Maxcare to HONOR their warranty that has been paid in full already!

My shop has been doing warranty claims with Maxcare for years. We have also been doing business with a dozen or more other companies. For some reason Maxcare believes they should be charged far less than what the customer would be expected to pay for the same repair. They try to pay less than a fair and reasonable labor rate. Maxcare is out for the quick buck and willing to lose many quality repair shops in the process. Unfortunately their customer is the one that loses.

Consumer Increased Rating!

Maxcare paid for the repairs to my car and is running like new!

Carmen of Inglewood, CA on

Original Review

I purchased a 2010 BMW 550i GT from CarMax in Jan 2013, with this I purchased the extended warranty for 7 years or 75000 miles. Since the factory warranty has expired I have taken my car to the dealership for repairs, twice for the motor going out in the windows, instrument cluster not working properly and an oil leak. To date Maxcare has paid out over $5000 for repairs.

But recently I noticed that my car was burning more oil than it should. I took it to the dealer and the diagnosis was the valve guide seals need replacing. Maxcare wanted me to take it to a different dealer that charges less for labor. So I did, after taking it to the second dealer, an adjuster came out to look at my car and confirmed the initial diagnosis. The repair would cost around $8000. I was later informed by the dealer that Maxcare denied my claim stating that I had missed an oil change.

I emailed the dealer proof of an oil change, then Maxcare said it was 6 months overdue. My vehicle requires an oil change every 14000 miles. Aboard speaking with a representative, she looked over the paperwork and agreed that the oil change was made when it should have. She said since the claim was already denied that I would have to send an appeal to the review board. So now I'm waiting for an answer from them. If they do not fix my car I will be taking them to court.

The MaxCare warranty is the most unprofessional and worst company I have ever dealt with. They have done nothing but try to find ways to get out of paying for the claim that is CLEARLY included in warranty. I bought an SUV from CARMAX and was talked into buying the extended warranty, which I was told would cover all thing except moving parts and maintenance. I was driving and my SUV caught fire under the hood. After further inspection it is easy to see it was an electrical fire. This is a very dangerous occurrence and luckily I was not injured in the incident. Fortunately a man driving by was able to extinguish the smoldering. I had the SUV towed to CARMAX to get a diagnosis and get it repaired. Once the tow truck got there, the manager was adamant about having the car promptly removed from there and said it was not their problem. I had the car towed to a repair shop and an estimate drawn up.

Keep in mind this is over a length of 3 weeks now and every week I am renting a car which is quite expensive. The repair shop determined that the fire started in the electrical box. Maxcare had their adjuster come out and the adjuster ruled that this was caused by "a faulty battery" and that there was "battery acid" everywhere and ruled that Maxcare is not liable for this because it is a maintenance problem. The repair shop pulled the battery and found absolutely no battery acid anywhere and found the battery intact. The battery was purchased within the year. Maxcare is nothing but a scam and a way to get extra money out of the customer. I will be taking MaxCare to court and suing them. I am furious and downright disgusted at this company and what they will do to get out of doing what is right and frankly what they are responsible for including LYING! I WILL NEVER BUY FROM MAXCARE or CARMAX ever AGAIN!!

5 weeks after purchasing a X3 BMW the rear glass roof would not close so I went to Carmax and a mechanic said, "Why are you bringing it here? We don't work on BMW's. We send it to dealer." With a higher deductible I went to local dealer who diagnosed whole roof cassette needed replacement as their records indicated it had been "kitted" one already. Maxcare refused saying to rekit the roof again. It seems some gears were hard plastic and had a high failure rating. Calling Carmax was a waste of time, just a runaround. I found the not toll free number of headquarters for Maxcare and indicated they had two choices: fix the car as recommended by dealer or I would and take them to small claims court.

The repair exceeded the cost of warranty. They replaced the Cassette after a week. Each subsequent problem cooling issue, car not starting needed to wait for inspector to ok the work. Last week air conditioning went out so back to BMW. Part and labour for evaporator and rings and seals was $2.900. BMW stated the gaskets were leaking everywhere. Called Maxcare with laundry list of leaks. They refused to fix anything above $5,000 stating the inspector would be called in and my claim most likely disallowed. So, BMW fixed $ 4,985 of leaks.

BMW stated on my repair bill I still need front and rear differentials replaced and the water pump is leaking. Was told to open a new claim and pay $300 again. BMW did not bill rent car for 7 days to Maxcare as total would exceed $5,000 cap. I got the car Friday at 5 PM and am returning Monday at 8 AM for the rest of the disallowed work and another round of deductible.

Asked if it was anything I should have done. BMW stated differential and transmission fluids remain in car for life of car according to manufacturer. Can't wait to hear the excuses why something I purchased to protect me is used against me. If it is a covered part, step up and just fix it. In all fairness, they have covered $7,000 more in repairs than I paid them and I still have 16 months on a 100,000 mile car.

I purchased a 2010 Volkswagen Jetta from Carmax in 2013. One of the fuel injectors stopped. Maxcare is refusing to pay for the repair because they say it's caused by a clog and not a bad part. I paid over $3500 for this warranty that I was told would cover anything except regular maintenance. This is an item that specifically states is covered in the agreement. I will never ever, ever buy from Carmax or Maxcare again.

Anytime you call Maxcare you can plan on being on hold for at 30 minutes before even talking to someone. On many occasions after 30 minutes they hang up on you and then you have to call them back. One time was on phone with them for 105 minutes.

I used to advocate the purchase of the Maxcare warranty. In fact, I am on my 6th vehicle from Carmax that has the warranty. Now when I really need it, they are failing to replace my engine, stating that I drove it without radiator water or coolant. My garage floor is clean indicating no leak. The meter measuring heat never went above the halfway mark and I never smelled any burning. Yet somehow between now and an oil change I received a month ago, I was drained of coolant. Will never deal with Maxcare again.

I have had two major problems with my 2008 Nissan XTerra where repairs had to be made under the Maxcare warranty. The first repair was for the thermostat and radiator and the second was on the exhaust system. The work was done by Carmax. The entire exhaust system had to be replaced under warranty. Within a year I brought the vehicle back to the Carmax dealer because the vehicle was losing power then was extremely noisy. The dealership told me "That is how an XTerra is supposed to sound." I brought the XTerra to a Nissan dealer next door and they told me the exhaust system was rusted and had to be replaced. Carmax offered to cover the parts under the warranty but not the labor. The Nissan dealer told me the exhaust system that was put on was of very low quality. I had to pay to put a new, quality exhaust system on myself at a cost of $1,200.

Over the past 18 months I've brought my XTerra in to Carmax for a problem with the heating and air conditioning. They replaced the thermostat two times and the radiator and coolant. In the past two weeks the same problem occurred and I took it back to the Carmax dealer. They said I needed yet another thermostat and that the parts and service were not out of warranty so it would cost me approximately $500 to have the work redone. If you ask me, never buy from Carmax. They use the cheapest parts and, from my experience, Maxcare only uses the cheapest parts and they don't last.

I bought a 2009 BMW X5 in 2013 from CARMAX in GA. It had 20,000 miles. Two days ago while driving on a highway for about 25 minutes the engine started heating up and I had to stop the car on the side of the road. Used AAA to get it towed to nearby Goodyear service place. Next day the service tech told me that the pump and thermostat needs replacement and the cost was going to be $1,475. I even forgot that I paid $2,559 for Maxcare extended warranty. I went thru my files and realized that bought the extended warranty.

I called them and asked if my warranty was still valid as I did not get any papers from Carmax or MAXCARE. They looked at their files and told me it was valid till 3/13/2019 or 125000 miles. My car had 60000 miles. I asked the mechanic to call Maxcare. They took several hours and by the end of the day Maxcare approved the repair. I picked up my car last night. I was quite reluctant even to approach them after so many negative reviews about long-term insurance and others' experience with Maxcare. I am pleasantly surprised with my experience and am glad I took the insurance.

We purchased a 2008 Ford Edge from CarMax in 2010. We took a MaxCare warranty for 6 years/100,000 miles. We've used it twice & they've been difficult both times arguing with the Ford dealer over labor costs but paying in the end. Both times they tried to stick us with more than the $300 deductible but after much back & forth they paid. It is now in having a heater core & several other related parts replaced for a total cost of $2,000. MaxCare is refusing to pay anything due to corrosion in the heater core. The Ford dealer was quite surprised by this & so am I. They said we were negligent by not having it repaired sooner. Since I obviously cannot see inside my heater core & didn't realize there was a problem until the heat stopped working, how am I negligent? Then they said Ford knew there was a problem with that make & model.

After googling it I found that to be true, but I never received notification from Ford. Once again, how was I negligent? They are just finding a reason to not pay. I've had other extended warranty companies in the past & never had problems with them paying. I will NEVER purchase an extended warranty from this company again & will probably avoid CarMax as well.

Maxcare Auto Warranty Company Profile