Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Overall Satisfaction Rating 2.02/5

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

Get matched with the best Auto Warranty for you!

Maxcare Auto Warranty Reviews

Original review: June 28, 2019

We purchased a 2012 Nissan Rogue from CarMax, with the MaxCare Extended Warranty up to 100,000 miles. At 91,000 miles the car shook to a stop and went dead. We called MaxCare and they told us they would cover a wrecker and we could send it to any repair shop that is authorized. I looked up the nearest one and MaxCare stated they were approved. So we had it TOWED to that location.

The service shop diagnosed the problem as the radiator had blown out and leaked coolant into the engine causing the spark plugs to be fouled and damaging the engine beyond repair. Maxcare paid to repair the radiator that caused the problem, but refused to pay for the engine. We called MaxCare several times trying to get an understanding as to why they are covering the part (radiator) that caused all the damage, but not the parts (engine) that were ruined as a result.

MaxCare representatives first claimed that after the car stopped working on the day of the radiator being blown, we continued to drive it, driving it to the repair facility. We pointed out that we did not drive it, and they are actually paying for the TOW bill showing they towed it. They then transferred me to a "Supervisor" who stated that it wasn't because we drove it, but it was denied due to "Never having coolant in the vehicle EVER". We stated that is impossible and ridiculous over the life of any car to never have coolant in it. We asked to see the inspector's report (that they sent) that they used to deny claim and they stated that it is "in house only" and won't release it.

We spoke to an attorney who then pointed out that in the warranty contract, we agreed to arbitration with MaxCare to resolve any issues, and to call Maxcare back and clarify the exact reason it is being denied. We called back a third time, and MaxCare again stated that we drove the car to the repair shop (I again pointed out the wrecker charge). They then stated "The car has never had COOLANT, causing the radiator to blow out, which in turn caused COOLANT to leak into the engine". I pointed out the obvious mistake that coolant couldn't leak into the engine if it never had coolant in it.

I asked for the mistakes to be changed, and they stated no. I asked who made these mistakes and who to contact about it. The "Supervisor" stated that there was no one to contact or to appeal to, and we would have to go ahead with our choice to go to arbitration. She stated she knew CarMax was being evasive, but there was no one else for us to speak to about the obvious mistakes/lies.

Original review: June 19, 2019

It is very hard to find dealerships willing to take this. The closest one to us is 45 minutes away. There isn't one in our county or any surrounding zip codes to us. It would be nice if they would branch out. They also need to improve their rental car policy. When I used my extended warranty last time they set me up with a rental through Enterprise. My local Enterprise was out of cars. They did not have a contract with any other rental companies so I was forced to pay out of pocket at Hertz and get reimbursed after a few weeks. It's great in theory, just needs improvements.

Original review: May 27, 2019

I purchased a Mercedes Benz S550 from CarMax, also purchasing the maximum MaxCare policy along with it. 5 years/100K miles. After two years and only 72000 miles on the odometer and after having several major repairs covered, I brought the car in for a malfunctioning air conditioning compressor. I was informed that the repair would not be covered under MaxCare because the total cost of previous repairs had reached the purchase price of the car! This was exclusion was never mentioned verbally, nor in print under exclusions in the MaxCare sales pamphlet that the sales consultant went over with me when I purchased the car. I’m very disappointed with CarMax!!

Original review: May 21, 2019

I paid $1400 for an extended warranty and when my engine blew they would not cover to replace. They will look for every little thing to disqualify you so they dont have to pay. They make it sound like a great program to get you to buy. But when something happens to your vehicle they wont pay. I will never purchase a extended warranty again. The money you spend in the warranty could go towards future repairs. Save yourself time, stress and worry. DONT BUY!!!!

Original review: Feb. 4, 2019

Do NOT pay for this warranty through CarMax! They will give you incorrect information & then screw you out of money & not pay for what they say they will pay for. If you want a warranty, purchase it through one of the many legit warranty companies that will properly inform you & pay your claims.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Maxcare Auto Warranty?

Original review: Jan. 3, 2019

Perhaps it is because I had to go through an actual dealer for repairs vs. having Carmax do the repairs, but my experience has been amazing. Within a month of buying a Porsche Cayman, I developed a strange noise in the transmission. I took the car to my local Porsche dealer and, long story short, two months later my car has a new transmission. I paid only my $300 co-pay and Maxcare covered the remaining amount (nearly $10K) without blinking an eye. Within two months, Maxcare has paid for itself 4 times over and I still have 5 years to go on the warranty. If you are considering an expensive vehicle, I'd highly recommend opting for Maxcare.

Original review: Jan. 2, 2019

I bought a Mercedes GLK at CarMax and paid $2,100 for MaxCare. I used MaxCare twice. They covered more than $4,000 in repairs for my car. My car stayed at the repair shop only a few days each time. Works fine for me.

Original review: Jan. 1, 2019

We were given minimal documentation regarding our Maxcare Plan, but were told it provided roadside assistance. When our tire blew in an unsafe location, even knowing the exact situation from the start, Maxcare wasted our time for twenty minutes on the phone before telling us they couldn't do anything and having a list of other tow services we could have been calling twenty minutes previously if they'd admitted they couldn't help. Even when directly asked multiple times, Maxcare refused to admit that they couldn't help and wouldn't deviate from script.

Original review: Nov. 20, 2018

I have used Maxcare in the past and it was a success. However I have had to use Maxcare again but this time my car was towed to the shop on a Saturday. I was out of a car and did not know that they aren’t open on weekends. I was shocked. Cars can break down any day and the purpose of the warranty is to be covered and also get in a rental with no hassle until your vehicle is ready. Well it was 3 days before I was able to get a rental but by then my car was fixed by then. It was rough calling and asking for rides to and from work. Being a single mom, it was tough. I do believe they should be open 7 days a week. Cars just don’t break down Mon-Fri.

Original review: Oct. 22, 2018

I would NOT recommend getting MaxCare. When buying a car from CarMax, they will "force" MaxCare on you but hold your ground and refuse. If they're being aggressive with it, just tell them, "Can we just proceed with the purchase of the car please." Save that money and invest it in your own car insurance's comprehensive plan. It will save you time, stress and money and provide you with a rental car for the entire duration of your repair.

My car broke down a month and a half ago and having the MaxCare Extended Warranty, I took my car to the local CarMax Service Center. After having the diagnostics, I was told by the technician that the car's issue was with the alternator having voltage issues which damaged the battery (this was also stated on the technician's report). Seeing how alternator issues were covered by my warranty, I was shocked to hear that MaxCare denied my claim due to "battery issues" as they claimed that the battery was faulty and thus damaged my alternator.

I don't know if they were simply trying to take advantage of the fact that I am a college student who doesn't know much about cars but the fact that they lied to me about the cause in order to weasel their way out of having to pay for the repair was just appalling. I had to fight this for over two weeks by calling MaxCare and the Service Center every single business day and miraculously, the technician and his manager somehow got the claim approved on the third week.

Repairs took another week and my car was due to be completed last Friday yet I am here on Monday being told by the technician that MaxCare has not yet responded to the work report he filed a week ago for the last part required for the repair. Oh and since my car has been literally sitting in the Service Center's garage for a month, MaxCare was so kind enough to provide me with just one week's worth of car rental. Anything else is out of pocket. I appreciate everything that the technician from my local Service Center did for me. He went above and beyond to really get me the help I needed but the deceit and the excessive delay that MaxCare displayed for the past month is simply unacceptable and unprofessional.

Maxcare Auto Warranty Company Information