American Guardian Warranty Services, Inc

Compare Extended Auto Warranty Companies

Research top Extended Auto Warranty Companies recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I purchased a used car from a reputable dealer in Washington state and thought since it was a fairly new car that I would purchase an extended warranty from AGWS called the Compass Protection Plan. I purchased the highest caliber paying over $2000 extra just in case something went wrong in the first year or so of ownership. Well lo and behold after a few months the sunroof ended up getting stuck in the open position. I contacted the warranty company as directed but they decided that this was going to considered an "adjustment" not a repair and therefore would not be covered. Considering I live in Washington I obviously could not leave the sunroof stuck open. I took it to a local mechanic where they found that a screw from the mechanism had gotten loose and jammed in the track preventing the sunroof from closing. The mechanic called the warrant company directly to explain the situation to no avail.

I then contacted the dealer who stated that one of their warranty reps would call the warranty company. Long story short the warranty company agreed to pay for half of the repair. Now, six weeks later, still no payment to the repair place and no help from the customer service reps with the warranty company. In fact, in all the CSR I've dealt with AGWS have been downright rude. If I had to do it over again I would never purchase ANY warranty from this company. They say that their warranty covers things but when you go to start a claim they word it in a way where they don't have to pay a dime. It's not even bait and switch but plain thievery. Someone needs to investigate this company and their dealings.

I bought the $1500 Platinum plan from Bill Kay Pontiac and Jeep in Downers Grove, IL. I was given a brochure that states everything is covered with this plan except normal wear and tear. Just had to service my Patriot for a faulty throttle body and lower control arms. The warranty company offered to pay only a portion of the control arms because they "found parts cheaper online" and deny the throttle body altogether because they determined it could be cleaned. Meanwhile the repair specialist at Anderson Dodge Chrysler Jeep Ram, told them it could not be cleaned, it was electronic. I will never buy another warranty from this malicious and outright lying company. They said they don't honor anything on the brochure and on page 12 in fine print it says it's not covered. It just reminds me of Willy Wonka. This company is a sham and should be closed.

Horrible service for roadside and tire replacement. We had a blow out on our 5th wheel camper while traveling to Nebraska. I called the customer service line and was advised that they had no record of a policy for me. I gave them the policy number, my name, my phone number and nothing. I called our RV dealer and he was able to look up our policy with no problem. Called the customer service line again to no avail. I got frustrated and called the roadside from our insurance company so I could get my family off the highway sooner rather than later.

I called customer service back and asked how to make a claim when I got somewhere to get a new tire. We were vacationing in a small town in Nebraska with only 1 tire shop. They did not want to deal with a warranty company and advised that I would have to take it up with the warranty company later. I called the warranty company and advised them that the tire shop did not want to deal with them. They stated I would have to file the claim when I got home, that I would need pictures of the tire, an invoice and a receipt.

On our way home we had the treads completely separate from another tire. This one did not blow out thank goodness. I called the warranty company again and again they could not find record of us having a policy. Again I did not bother arguing with them as a good samaritan stopped to help us out. Upon returning home I called the warranty company to get the form I needed to file the claim. They advised me that I needed to send pictures, the receipt and the invoice from the tire shop via USPS. I asked why I couldn't email them in and they stated that because I did not have pre authorization for the replacement, I had to mail it in. Seriously, in today's world of technology I had to send this in by snail mail. I sent everything as requested.

I took the other tire into our local dealer who was willing to work with the warranty company for this replacement. He talked to them then told me he had to take a few pictures and fill out a form to EMAIL back to them. It took several days for the warranty company to finally decide that they would cover a portion of the replacement. I followed up with the warranty company about a week after I sent the first claim in and was advised that they were denying my claim because it was not preauthorized. I asked what I was suppose to do since the tire shop would not talk to them and they stated I should have gone to another shop, which was over 50 miles away. Needless to say I am in the process of cancelling this policy. Then again, they will probably deny my cancellation because they won't be able to find me in their system.

We purchased an RV from La Mesa RV in Sanford, FL in April 2015. At that time, we also were sold a 3 year "platinum" extended warranty from American Guardian Warranty Services for well over $7692.50! We have tried to place small claims 7 times for a total of $1993, and every time our claim has been denied completely. We are now filing our 8th claim; this time it will be paid, but at a significantly reduced reimbursement. The claim that the labor hours are too many for the work; they have completely disregarded the repair shop's (the Western Region Service Center for Cummins) estimate for labor and will only reimburse the hours they think it should take, based on THEIR estimate.

We called Freightliner to see what they it should take, and they said it completely depends on the access in each RV and could take that long or longer. AGW has completely disregarded the input from the repair shop which had just done a similar job; our job requires the complete removal of the radiator and other parts just to get to the part to be replaced; a very labor intensive repair. So, we get a less than satisfactory result again! This time we are only reimbursed for $2960 on a $3996 invoice or only 74% of the actual bill! We are out over $1000 in addition to the $1993 previously denied. This warranty is a SCAM. They do NOT pay out legitimate claims and find every means to reduce or deny legitimate reimbursement or payment. LA Mesa said it was an excellent extended warranty and sold it to us with false claims. I bet they get a hefty commission for each sale!

I received a notice from this company that my extended factory policy had expired. Upon calling, they indicated to continue coverage would be $4,000.00. They had a long list of items that could fail on my vehicle. I agreed to the policy with the understanding that I could cancel in 30 days. I called back a week later to cancel and was put through a very "hard sell" process with two different people. I finally stopped answering their questions and simply stated each time "I want to cancel my policy". As a closing remark, the agent said "well since you are independently wealthy and can cover your car repair, I will cancel your policy". I am glad not to be associated with this company.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Guardian Warranty Services, Inc?

Received the separate unsolicited mailings from this company over the last 6 months trying to sell me a warranty on my vehicle. Each time I called to get my name and address removed from their list. They ignore all requests even though they said they would. I received another one on 10/29, called on 10/30 was told they would remove me but I should just ignore them and toss it in the trash. These companies are scams and harassers.

Terrible service with a road hazard tire warranty claim. I called to file a claim regarding a road hazard that cut the sidewall on a tire. I was advised to have the repair shop call. I had the repair shop call and then they wanted pictures. They never did provide an email address for pictures to be sent. They stated "fax them." Well in today's world not many people even have fax machines with computers and scanners. Still didn't even have an adjustor or a claim number. Every time you talk to them you get a different answer. Finally got a claim number. In the meantime I told shop to proceed with new tire regardless of what they were going to do.

Finally got it fixed, sent them the paid receipt and copy of check. They then stated that it wasn't enough proof that the bill had been paid and directed me to go to the bank and get a copy of the check--both front and back. Nothing like basically being called a liar!!! It is now over a month later and I am now waiting to see what next excuse is. Have seen these type of scams before. Make it so difficult people just say "screw it and drop it." Can you imagine trying to do all this if I was on the road some place? Luckily I was home. I guess if I had paid cash they wouldn't have did anything since a paid work order from the shop isn't enough. I intend on filing a complaint with the Illinois Attorney General's Office as well.

The absolute absurdity of this company. I purchased an '07 Hino box truck with a full warranty (knowing the truck would need it). I've driven this truck 4 months out of the entire year due to unwarranted repairs. Now the turbo goes out. I'm sorry, a $200 chip inside the turbo goes out, and this company won't cover the piece. They claim to cover the turbo itself, (as the warranty states) but not the chip on the inside of the turbo. I am being forced to pay $5000 for a turbo, so that they can get the $200 chip replaced. When contacting the company, they completely talked me into circles to avoid the fact that my paperwork says "turbo and components". I'm at a complete loss of words over this. My warranty is soon up and I will never have one through this company again. Complete robbery!!!

They'll be happy to sell you a plan, but best of luck getting anything more than 10 cents out of these bastards. I work at a dealership and attempted to get a fully-justified repair done on an elderly gentleman's vehicle. We diagnosed a fault in both of the Blind Spot Sensor Modules. They claimed "corrosion" on a plastic part and denied the claim. Be warned, the "Not Covered" provision is vague enough to cover anything.

We had a problem with our 2011 Monaco Knight last month. One of the slide cables broke and only one-half of the slide would move in or out. This is a very long slide that also has a residential refrigerator. Called Monaco and they said they were a month or more out, but we could call Quality RV in Springfield Oregon to have the work done. When we arrived the repairmen tore into it right away trying to find the problem. Both cables were broken and had to be replaced. Also the adjustment coupler bolts were replaced. After the new cables were replaced the slide would not come in completely. It seemed that the box was pushed to the rear by one inch. The repairmen had to jack up each side so they could push the box back into the correct position. Then they could adjust the cables so that the box would close.

As this slide moves in and out, the adjustment couplers move next to each other. If they collide, they hit each other making a loud noise and stop the travel. This is what happened in the first place and caused the coupler and cable to hit and break. I asked the repairmen if it was going to happen again and they said yes. I told them to add a thin piece of plywood between the two couplers to prevent this from happening again. They did and it seems to have worked. Problem is that the warranty company, American Guardian, will only pay for the cables plus 4 hours labor time and not the adjustment or correcting the centering of the box. The total bill was about $1200 and AG only paid $320. What a deal that was.

It's been week since I complained to the company I bought the motorhome from. Yesterday they called me and said they had a surprise for me. The warranty company was going to pay me another $300. Didn't happen. So now they are going to be paying less than half the total repair cost. How about that? Half? I bought a policy that stated they would pay for repairs, minus the deductible of $100. I didn't buy one that said they would pay only half the cost. This is shut up money. Pay the policy owner only what they can get away with. Unless they pay everything, I'm out. I cancelled the policy, but after they said they were going to send me $300. They now say they're not sending me the money because I cancelled.

Fraud. There are other companies that have been using the exact same template to take advantage of my 80-year old mother. The first time my mom was taken for a $395 down payment on an extended car warranty by a Limited Liability Corp. called "CARTECTION." They sold her an extended 4-year warranty that she already had from her car dealer. After contacting her dealer she was informed that there were a number of customers who had been taken by another company that called themselves GUARDIAN LLC. They took my mom again this time for $126 and we were told in order to get our refund they would need to prorate our refund based on how many miles she had driven. In writing to boot. WE ARE GOING AFTER THEM!!! Will update soon.

What a horrible experience. I called to inquire about extending coverage on our 2009 extra car, they wanted $4,000 for five years. I declined. He kept arguing with my decision. I hung up. He called me back and told me I was RUDE. Nasty Pushy!

I live in Los Angeles CA. I made a call to Guardian to see what they could offer. After I politely listened to Reggie's speech, I told him it was not what I was looking for and thanked him for his time. He became semi hostile asking me all sorts of questions as to why I wasn't interested. He made a comment as to my line of work, of which he had no idea what I did for a living. I explained I have been a police officer since January 1981 (which is true - have been a detective for many years). He kept interrupting me when I would try to speak. I told him I was going to hang up if he continued to interrupt.

Well to make a long story short, I did hang up on him. Believe it or not he called back and was very angry and ticked off. I informed him he was in violation of California law (Penal Code 653.M, "Annoying or threatening phone calls"). He said he didn't care. Had to hang up on him again. I then called the 800 number and made a complaint against Reggie. What kind of freak show is that business!

My vehicle 2009 Chevy Silverado has been at Mike Anderson Chevy for almost a month now, with little or no response from AGWS to authorize repair of the vehicle. The dealership has made several attempts to contact them...I continue to contact them (they have a really good voice mail system), with no results. This vehicle was in the shop approximately two months ago and it was recommended to AGWS that along with some other work, they needed to replace the lifters. An inspector came out and said it did not need to be done. A month later it's back at the shop for the same reason. And now, because the lifters were not replaced, the cam shaft is damaged and it need a new engine.

The reality is that they did not want to pay for the work the first time. It was expensive. So now the car has been at the shop for almost a month. Why would it take one of their inspectors weeks to come to see the vehicle? Me and the dealership have got nothing but the runaround from AGWS. They were sent the final determination yesterday. The dealership has left two messages...I have left one. Still no response. I will be sure to get on EVERY social media outlet to let people know how BAD this company is. In the meantime, still no response from AGWS. My next call is the dealership where I bought the vehicle and warranty. They need to know to find a different warranty company. I would give you an order number but I can't get a hold of anyone at AGWS!

I have had my 5th wheel for 2 years now. It is 15 years old; that's why I bought the warranty. A couple of weeks ago, it needed repairs. I called the company and they said it would all be cover. They didn't even pick up the transfer from storage to repair shop! They have always taken care of this before; now I'm stuck with a $1400 bill. I am filing this complaint because I wouldn't want other people to be scammed like I was with this company. Like I said, they were always good about taking care of my repairs without me paying a penny. Then this happened. I am on a fixed income and now I have to dip into my savings because of their non-commitment to warranty my 5th wheel.

DO NOT buy anything type of service from this company. The only thing they care about is making money off you and backing up their so called "warranty." I bought a "warranty" for 5 years or 60k miles. I was about to go over in my miles and my transmission went out. I took it to the shop to have this wonderful company send out an adjuster to see if my transmission is covered. They said it is not covered because my transmission lines were rusted and leaking and that is why my transmission failed. They said that it is the responsibility of the owner to know if they have this issue. How is someone who is not a mechanic and regularly takes their car in for service suppose to know if this issue current. I am not a mechanic, I teach for a living. Save yourself the headache and do not buy anything from this corrupt company who has draconian customer service.

My initial contact with the company: I received a letter in the mail from Guardian. It said I could get an extended warranty on my BMW and I should call immediately. My CPO is about to expire so I called. They seemed pleasant at first. Then a 2nd guy implied I would need to make a decision on the phone today. I told him immediately I would not be making a decision on the spot. I just don't do that. He transferred me to another guy and I told him the same thing so he offered a lower rate and transferred me to a 3rd guy. This one played hardball saying I needed to make a decision immediately or we couldn't do business. I was a bit shocked with the rudeness and before I could say much, he hung up on me.

It's been quite awhile since I've come across a company with such a lack of concern for people. It very much feels like they have a system set up to manipulate people into purchases rather than having a quality product and upfront quality CS. Unless you want to get manipulated with old school sales tactics and get disrespected, do not even call these people.

Don't buy this warranty. They are crooks, they try to treat you like crap. They tell the dealer or whoever fixes the car to tell you to call, wouldn't the person who fixes it be better to explain to them what is wrong? They false advertise in their ads. They are junk.

UPDATED ON 04/09/2015: I just recently like yesterday had my CD player/navigation replaced by this company after 4-5 failed attempts. Get the car back, CD player works, didn't skip nor reject cd's. The problem I have is that it is a used, yes, used CD player with 4 phones programmed in the Bluetooth with their contacts stored on it. Thanks again for a used part. Still waiting for a callback as to why.

I purchased the Platinum coverage today, and made the mistake of reading reviews AFTER I made the purchase. I called a few hours later to cancel the coverage based on the reviews here. I was on hold for 5 minutes before anyone answered. And I had the distinct pleasure of speaking to Leticia. Who decided she would argue with me over why I wanted to cancel my coverage.

I explained to her I no longer wanted the coverage and wanted a refund immediately to cancel the policy. She said "Okay, I understand where you're coming from. But why do you want to cancel the coverage?" I continued to tell her I simply no longer wanted the coverage and she persisted to fight with me over my reasons to cancel the coverage. As far as I am concerned, my decision to cancel the policy because I simply do not want it should end the conversation. She has since put me back on hold to "process my request" and it's been about 10 minutes of "processing". Stay Away.

This is about their customer service. I received the card in the mail for an extended warranty. Now it could be that they need to close each deal per shift, and a good cop/bad cop deal. I spoke with 2 nice people, but told them I need to confirm a few things and would need to call back to sign off on this insurance. Though I did tell them the value looked good for what they told me over the phone. The first representative said she understood that. But then she said she might be able to get me into a special program as well for a lower cost (I again confirmed whatever the price, I still would need to verify a few things before I sign off on the insurance). She was okay with that.

The representative offered me a lower amount, but got really upset that I wasn't going to say yes on the spot. Tried to scare me with "what if's" and got very irritated that I had questions. Plus the fact I wanted to verify a few things really got him to be very angry. I didn't find that very appealing at all. At the end he said if I don't sign at that very moment, then Guardian has no other business with me. It smelled of a scam, but not sure since they wanted to close it right then without letting a person make a few checks and call back.

I work at a repair shop and a customer came in with the compass plans and had an 04 infinity with door latch problems -- both front latches were bad. This company said they would not authorize dealer part that we would have to get aftermarket parts. Aftermarket does not make door latches for this vehicle. Then they would not pay list price for dealer parts. In short it was a very bad and time-wasting experience. Stay away from this company.

Well, here is the thing I will be the first one to say something positive here (I am not paid to do so you can contact me if you want). I've bought 08 BMW 535 xi from the dealer called auto gallery imports in Addison IL. Not that great experience but it is what it is and they sold me compass warranty through the american guardian the platinum coverage.

After owning the car for 3 weeks my water pump started leaking. I took it to my trusted shop (not a dealer) and they are certified to work on all German made cars. I've waited a day to get the estimate, it came up to $1200 parts and labor. Then I went online and read all the reviews about american guardian here and I started to worry. Later on the day my mechanic called me and said that american guardian paid for everything on the phone call with him except for new antifreeze, which in second hand is not fair because to change water pump you need to flush out all the antifreeze but after all I read here, I guess I am a lucky men!!! Good luck to all of you people here and hope your rides don't even need a warranty and to serve you good!

This company's sales pitch is geared to the elderly who are on fixed incomes - they offer protection against the high cost of auto repairs--yeah right. My disabled sister purchased a policy for her seldom used Chevy from a mail notice she thought came from the dealer offering to extend her existing warranty. When we called back (the same day) to cancel I found they sold her a $798 policy on a Mercedes car she didn't own--never owned! When I demanded they cancel it I had to jump through fire to get it done. Finally called the credit card company to void the transaction.

My car according to the agreement it should have been covered for 4 years or 40,000 miles. Even though it still had not reached either they refused coverage because of the value of the car. I would give this company zero stars.

PLEASE DO NOT BUY this insurance. These People will make you regret the day you bought the policy. They will not cover anything they promised, in writing, for whatever they call technicality. They will find any excuse to deny any coverage. DO NOT BUY THIS INSURANCE.

They called me and passed me around like a hockey puck to four different people...proud to make themselves sound and feel more legit to a consumer. I asked for the best deal on the platinum and I got a senior financial advisor. I'm hesitant to sign up for anything and wanted to read a contract before I give them $2100. FYI this price was a fleet price when you do a one time payment compared to the $4800 original price if you spread out payment over five years. Yikes, that's a lot of interest. So the guy said if I just sign up now I can cancel in 30 days before the first payment is due. So why can't you just email a contract first. A legit business will have something to put your mind at ease if this is indeed a good deal. They don't, it's all high pressure sales. It has nothing to do with a good or bad warranty. I told the guy I can't commit without doing research so he hung up on me saying "I can't help you." Wow extremely professional. Little does he know that by doing that it helped me make a wise decision because it showed he doesn't care about me at all, it's all about volume and sales. Buyer beware.

In 2011, I purchased an RV from McMahon RV in Orange County, California. I also purchased a platinum extended RV service warranty from American Guardian Warranty Service. I paid $3,750 for a seven year plan. I sold my RV in July of 2014, at which time I cancelled my service with American. I was told at that time that because McMahon RV was going out of business, I would only get $468.94 of the $1,970.98 I would be due. I would have to go after McMahon for the remainder. I told Nancy that I paid my full amount and I expect them to reimburse me... It is not my problem that they gave a commission to McMahon and now I have to go after them for that portion???

Conveniently, she says she never received my fax for the cancellation, either. I faxed the cancellation page when I was with my finance gal when I was purchasing the new RV. So, not only am I not getting my measly $468.94, but now, she can't go back and give me that amount because I waited too long to tell her I just realized I never got it. Hey American Guardian! Guess what??? I'm gonna start a class action because I know there are a lot of people out there that are not getting what they should for a cancellation. We paid our money up front - not our problem that you do business with idiots that can't stay in business!!!

I'm so angry at this ** company now, have to let it out. The company caught me right before a meeting, I was in a rush and wasn't aware of what this is about. They said it's mandatory, that is required by some department. The salesman just kept talking constantly and would not let me get off the call. I said "I'm in a rush, I DO NOT want to make decision at this time." They said they can't call back and won't let me call back (WHAT THE **??). Unfortunately I didn't have time to think it through since I'm in a rush.

Anyway, they wasted 30 mins of my time, lied and provided ambiguous statement, trapped me into this **. They made it sounds like it's important and FORCED me to sign up for it. Right, I also mentioned why it's so expensive. The guys said "you got an expensive car, what do you think? " I just want to kick him in the face. I'm trying to cancel it now. No matter how hard it is, I'll make sure this is off. (They already started direct me around, wait on call, wait for manager, etc.). DON'T EVER DEAL WITH THIS ** COMPANY!

We bought the 2 year warranty wheelz in February. The dealership would not let us cancel it after we bought it like that day. We had it in contract it would cover parts. 6 parts went bad on our vehicle that went bad they would not cover it. It was even in writing. So I said I wanted to cancel they told me I had to go the dealership, we went there signed cancelled faxed. They said wait 2 weeks. 2 weeks are gone now we called wheelz they said they didn't get anything. There are so many cancelled warranties they had to shut down the cancelled department, really?

If you read the contract, you assume you have 24/7 coverage. But try and call after 5 pm and see what happens. They have hours of 8 am to 5 pm...DAH, people break down and need help 24/7... My a/c went out, in Vegas it's already 100 degrees out and the kids go to baseball and the wife to the DR. If it isn't during business hours, this company will not help you. I fixed the problem myself for 110$ and when I called on Monday to find out how to get the cost of the parts reimbursed, the guy told me no way and they were not going to give anything back. I told him I would go ahead and cancel and he laughed and said he didn't care one way or the other, totally rude and angry and then he hung up on me. I called the cancellation department just to be told and in a demeaning way that the cancellation department didn't cancel any contracts, they tell you to go back to the Dealer and have them cancel it.

Needless to say, I was p___ed off big time. If anyone is ever going to buy anything, DO NOT, DO NOT ever buy an extended warranty. Do not let anyone that you know or even a common stranger buy this warranty, it goes by many names, WHEELZ - AGW - AUG and many other names. Save your 3,000$ and when your car breaks, just fix it without all the hassle of these dumb a__s. These warranties are a joke, not worth the paper they are written on. If you pay all this money stemming from the wording in the brochure, you will be tricked into falsehood. Go to their own website, do you see any type of help on there, just a generic web site that leads to nowhere. It says contact us, I dare you to be so foolish and think that they will reply. DON'T BUY THIS GARBAGE.

American Guardian Warranty Services, Inc Company Profile