Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

American Guardian Warranty Services Inc.

American Guardian Warranty Services Inc.
Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.06/5

Get matched with an Accredited Partner

American Guardian is an extended auto warranty company. In addition to covering cars, American Guardian offers warranties for recreational vehicles, powersports vehicles, marine vehicles and medium- and heavy-duty trucks and buses. All warranties from American Guardian are transferable.

BOTTOM LINE

American Guardian offers coverage ranging from basic powertrain to exclusionary. It doesn’t have many different car warranty plans, but it covers an impressive array of vehicles.

PROS

• RV and powersport vehicle plans
    • Exclusionary coverage option
    • Transferable warranties

CONS

• Small selection of plans

Get peace of mind

Find comfort knowing your vehicle is covered with an extended warranty.

Extend my warranty

What is American Guardian?

American Guardian is a company that offers extended warranties for cars and other vehicles, including recreational vehicles, powersports vehicles, boats, trucks and buses. American Guardian has three warranty plans to choose from, all of which are transferable.

American Guardian cost

American Guardian doesn’t list any prices online, but most car warranties sold in the U.S. cost between $350 and $700 per year. American Guardian’s Bronze plan should fall close to $350 yearly, and the Platinum exclusionary plan should be close to $700. American Guardian deductibles range from $0 to $200.

American Guardian plans

American Guardian has three plans available: Bronze, Silver and Platinum. Bronze is the company's most affordable plan. The Platinum plan is exclusionary, meaning it covers everything not specifically excluded in the contract. Exclusionary plans are the most comprehensive type of car warranties on the market.

Bronze plan
      The Bronze plan is the most basic option American Guardian offers. It covers your vehicle’s:
      Silver plan
      The Silver plan is American Guardian’s intermediate option in terms of coverage, but it actually covers almost everything that the Platinum plan does, including the:
      • Engine cooling
      • Extended air conditioning
      • Extended electrical system
      • Seals and gaskets
      Platinum plan
      The Platinum plan has American Guardian’s most comprehensive coverage. It is an exclusionary plan. If you have an existing powertrain warranty, you can also opt for a Platinum Wrap plan that takes your coverage from basic to exclusionary. The Platinum plan covers your:
      • Engine cooling
      • Extended electrical system
      • Seals and gaskets
      • Emissions system

American Guardian benefits

All three plans from American Guardian come with the following benefits:

• Roadside assistance: American Guardian’s roadside assistance includes emergency gas and fluid delivery, lockout services, flat tire changes, jump-starts and towing.
      • Rental car reimbursement: If your car breaks down and you need to rent a replacement, American Guardian reimburses you as much as $35 per day for up to five days.

Only the Silver and Platinum plans come with trip interruption reimbursement. If your car breaks down while you’re out of town and extends your trip, your Silver or Platinum plan pays for up to three days of expenses at $75 per day.

American Guardian FAQ

Does American Guardian have coverage for motor homes?
      Yes, American Guardian has warranties specifically for motor homes and RVs.
      Can I get a refund on my car warranty from American Guardian?
      You can cancel your contract and receive a full refund if you haven’t filed a claim and it’s been 30 days or fewer since you signed your contract.
      Can I transfer my American Guardian car warranty?
      Yes, car warranties from American Guardian are transferable.
      How can I get a quote from American Guardian?
      To get a quote, you can email or call American Guardian. The company puts you in touch with a local dealer who can give you a quote.

Is American Guardian worth it?

While it’s good that American Guardian covers diverse vehicles and has transferable warranties, consumer reviews are overwhelmingly negative, citing high-pressure sales tactics and frustrating experiences with customer service. If you are considering coverage from American Guardian, try getting quotes from several companies first. This helps set better expectations for pricing and customer service so you can make an informed decision.

American Guardian Warranty Services Inc. Reviews

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

The engine in my Hyundai Tucson needed replaced. After 4 WEEKS of them arguing with a Hyundai service garage, they finally approved the repair. ...But, they would only approve the repair based on aftermarket prices, knowing that a Hyundai repair shop is not going to order aftermarket parts when the entire engine needs replaced. In the end, I was forced to pay ALMOST $2,000 out of pocket (and my plan had no deductible). Stay away from this garbage.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

I bought a newer truck and got the extended warrantee for the truck. They covered the turbo with me paying a portion of it. Then they got a rebuilt turbo. Which nobody that gives a damn about their reputation. But they found someone back east that rebuilt them and two months later it is worse than the one they replaced the first time and now the company they bought it from won't stand by their crap. The warrantee company said they aren't responsible for the crap they put in my truck. So now it's going to cost me thousands to fix their mess.

Get expert buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2019

They will never pay any claims no matter what level contract Agreement that you purchase. Please stay away. No matter what part it is ... it will not be covered. My dealer service department explained to them why it should be covered. They are disrespectful thieves.

Original review: May 28, 2019

I was new to RV and decided to buy. What a costly mistake!!! I have a generator issue with the carburetor and my claim has been denied with a cause that does not make sense. We maintain and take good care of our RV but it is ludicrous the expectations. Save your money for when you need it.

Original review: May 13, 2019

Do not expect your total loss payment to cover your total loss. Interest accruing after payment sent to wrong address for finance company. It will be your responsibility despite paying your premiums and after insurance payment. TOTALLY BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE even MANAGER NOT HELPFUL!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Guardian Warranty Services, Inc?

Original review: April 2, 2019

We experienced a power converter failure in our motorhome whilst traveling and had to get emergency repairs in order to continue our journey. This all happened over a weekend so it was not possible to get prior approval from AGWS. I wrote them a letter explaining this and also sent them a copy of the invoice for the repair/replacement. Since then I have had nothing but trouble getting reimbursed. Firstly they rejected the invoice because the model number, year and mileage was not shown, so I hand wrote those details on the original invoice, signed it and sent it back.

Then they rejected it a second time, saying I had to include the VIN number, so I added the vin number and sent it back a second time. Now today I have received a letter from them (almost 3 weeks later) asking for exactly the same information again! Needless to say I rang their Customer Service Dept and was told that the invoice was not legible because it had been handwritten, and they totally denied receiving a second copy with the VIN number clearly printed on it.

I have now had to go back to the RV repair shop owner and ask him to completely re issue the invoice complete with full details of the failure, part numbers, labor costs etc etc. This company does not want to part with its money, and treats its customers with disdain. We paid a considerable amount of money for this "Platinum Coverage" and I am now regretting ever having anything to do with these people. If a dealer tries to sell you this package when you buy a new vehicle/RV, tell 'em you want to go elsewhere.

Original review: Oct. 19, 2018

Purchased the best extended warranty from Finance Manager when purchasing my car. Thinking I have peace of mind, I thought wrong. Compressor and some other AC related issues came to 3000. Warranty will not cover OEM parts or the cost of labor because they think they are getting ripped off on price. Are you serious? They will only cover list price of after market parts and a labor cost they agree to. I am always paranoid that something like this might happen and I don't remember every fine detail of the Contract I signed 4 years ago which is why I called before I went to get repairs done and they said I could take it anywhere I wanted. THEY DID NOT TELL ME TO SHOP AROUND AND CHOOSE THE CHEAPEST MECHANIC I COULD FIND. If you are ever offered insurance by AGWS or compass don't do it.

Original review: Dec. 26, 2017

Here is the issue. When filing for warranty coverage regardless of what it is. This warranty company will tell you they can get their parts cheaper than the dealership or your local shop. Then you have a problem. If you can wait to have the parts shipped to your repair shop then you may be OK. However if you can’t wait and need your car this warranty company will charge you an extremely high cost for the parts. This happens all the time and it is very frustrating to have to make that decision. Mine’s about to run out after 36k and several hundreds of dollars worth of parts that I had to pay extra for. I also wanted to drop the coverage somewhere in the middle and was told you have to do that at the dealer where you bought the car and that is a ** in itself… Merry Christmas.

Original review: Dec. 22, 2017

I purchased my plan for a 2014 VW CC on which manufacturer warranty just expired. I was hopeful as the American Guardian agent was very knowledgeable about potential cost of repair of German cars. I ended up purchasing a 5 year bumper to bumper option, pre-paid as I was promised that once I sell the car I'll get refund for months which I didn't use.

That's where the problems started arising. Apparently, Guardian is just the operator and they outsource their finance to another broker. This means it was an absolute nightmare to cancel the contract (written notice with infinite amount of details). What's the most important - it's been over 4 months and I still haven't received the check for the money they owe me. I contacted them numerous times and always hear the same story - "the check is on its way". DO NOT BUY WARRANTY from them! They are thieves and purposefully make the sign-up process super easy while the cancellation process super difficult so that people give up eventually.

Original review: Aug. 4, 2017

I have a recreational vehicle that I purchased extended warranty coverage because the finance person sold me the policy. In the wording there so many exceptions that hardly any items will be covered. I had a refrigerator that the rollers broke and the fridge fell backwards and damaged the wood trim. The cause and effect was that the fridge caused the wood trim be damaged and the American Guardian refused coverage. The second claim is that my air conditioner unit failed and my septic broke and because of both the unit had to be taken to the shop.

I spent a total of 14 nights in a hotel because of both incidents and today the customer service person stated that because it was repair was not 100 miles away from my location that the claim would be denied. These are examples of companies selling you a policy only to find out the small print reveals all of the limitations. Yet if I had taken the time and read the policy and had taken exceptions to the terms and conditions I would not have been sold a policy.

American Guardian Warranty Services Inc. Company Information