Find an Extended Auto Warranties partner

Help me decide
American Guardian Warranty Services Inc.

American Guardian Warranty Services Inc.

1.1/5 (75 ratings)
Find an Extended Auto Warranties partner

Find Extended Auto Warranties partners near you

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

About American Guardian Warranty Services Inc.

American Guardian is an extended auto warranty company that offers warranties for cars, recreational vehicles, powersport vehicles, marine vehicles, and medium- and heavy-duty trucks and buses. All warranties from American Guardian are potentially transferable, and the company provides a 100% part replacement guarantee.

Find Extended Auto Warranties partners near you

Pros

• Variety of plans
    • RV and powersport vehicle plans
    • Specialty coverages available

Cons

• Low customer ratings
    • Doesn’t sell directly to consumers

Bottom Line

American Guardian offers a wide range of coverage options for a variety of vehicles. However, it only sells through dealerships, so it’s hard to get a quote and make a smart purchase.

Take an Extended Auto Warranty Quiz

Get matched with an Authorized Partner

Find my match

What is American Guardian?

American Guardian is a company that offers extended warranties for cars and other vehicles, including recreational vehicles, powersport vehicles, boats, trucks and buses. It offers its products through dealerships, so most of its product information is directed towards industry professionals.

American Guardian plans

American Guardian has multiple vehicle service plans available at the time of publishing:

• Compass Protection Plan contracts include coverage for mechanical repairs and parts and labor on eligible vehicles up to 20 years old or with up to 200,000 miles. Three coverage tiers are available under this plan.
    • Compass Platinum Plus provides exclusionary coverage (including wear-and-tear items) with no deductible.
    • Compass Basic gives you coverage for mechanical repairs, parts and labor on vehicles up to 20 years old or with up to 200,000 miles.
    • Compass Advantage is a loyalty program offering separate engine and powertrain coverage for up to the lifetime of the vehicle.
    • Your Plan is either a basic stated component plan or an exclusionary plan. Appearance protection products are also available.
    • GAP Protection covers you if your car is totaled while you’re upside-down on your loan.
    • Compass Limited Warranty offers coverage for repairs, parts and labor for up to six months or 6,000 miles.
    • Key Replacement protects you from paying for a new key after loss, theft or destruction.
    • Extended Lease Wear & Tear Limited Waiver Addendum covers wear-and-tear fees on leased vehicles.
    • Tire & Wheel only covers your car’s wheels, tires and rims from road hazards.
    • Paintless Dent Repair covers the cost of repairing dents and dings on your vehicle.
    • Theft Protection covers you against total loss.
    • Dealer Branded Pre-Paid Maintenance plans offer discounts on maintenance for 24, 36 or 48 months.
    • Driver’s Armor Ancillary packages offer protection for cosmetic repairs, tires and wheels.
    • Driver’s Armor Certified protects certified pre-owned vehicles with a limited engine warranty.
    • Complete Coverage is an a-la-carte plan that lets you choose your coverage.
    • Compass Tech + offers three levels of coverage for your car’s interior electrical components.

Many of these plans offer similar coverages, so individual dealers likely won’t offer all of them. Contact your local dealer to see which they offer.

American Guardian benefits

Plans from American Guardian can come with benefits such as:

• Roadside assistance
    • Rental car reimbursement
    • Towing
    • Trip interruption insurance

Benefit details vary from plan to plan, so check with your dealership to see what benefits are included in their offerings.

American Guardian cost

American Guardian doesn’t list any prices on its website, so you’ll have to contact a partnered dealership for a quote. Not having pricing online is fairly normal for the extended auto warranty industry, but many companies offer a quote tool rather than making you deal with a third party for purchase.

American Guardian’s published deductibles range from $0 to $500.

American Guardian FAQ

Yes, American Guardian has warranties for motor homes and RVs.
    You can cancel your contract with the dealership that sold you your contract, and the dealer may offer you a refund.
    Yes, car warranties from American Guardian are transferable, but you have to submit a request with the company.
    You can’t. American Guardian suggests that you contact a dealership for pricing information.
    American Guardian recommends you take your vehicle to the dealership where you purchased it. If that’s not possible, you can take your vehicle to your choice of repair shop as long as it is a licensed business and can confirm the appropriate business insurance.

American Guardian also has National Fleet Accounts with companies such as Firestone, Pep Boys, AAMCO, Interstate Transmissions, Multistate and Mr. Transition, meaning you can take your vehicle to any of these locations.

Is American Guardian worth it?

While it’s good that American Guardian covers diverse vehicles and has transferable warranties, consumer reviews are overwhelmingly negative at the time of publishing. Reviewers cite high-pressure sales tactics and frustrating experiences with customer service. If you are considering coverage from American Guardian, try getting quotes from several other companies to verify that you’re making a smart decision. This should help set expectations for pricing and customer service so you can make an informed decision.

American Guardian Warranty Services Inc. Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Guardian Warranty Services Inc.?
    How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Guardian Warranty Services, Inc?

Original review: March 23, 2021

Do not buy this warranty. I had a claim a couple months back on my RZR. They required service records and said they was good and paid the 900 dollar repair bill. Then a month ago it had another transmission problem. They required my machine maintenance records. I used the same records I had from before. This time they denied my claim because the invoice numbers on the receipts wasn't correct. 2 of them matched.

Granted I have the same records of maintenance used last claim then they said because I told the repair shop to fix it cause it had been being drug out and wasn't going to have be paid for by my pocket or American Guardian because it had been taking so long for them to approve the repair or my maintenance records. I told the repair place to fix it before I had to start paying storage on the machine. American guardian then denied doing any more to resolve my claim and stuck me paying 3600 dollars for the repairs. This absolutely the sorriest company I have ever dealt with.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2021

Do NOT use this company. They will rip you off. Take your money and when you need them they will do everything in their power to deny a legitimate claim verified by a reputable and well-known dealership. Save that money for your children, instead of giving them a dime. They will not look out for you...

Get buying tips about Extended Auto Warranties delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Jan. 12, 2021

PLEASE PEOPLE STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY SCAM! If I could rate less I would. We bought this insurance in 2018 when we bought our 2015 Tiffin. We have had to use it 2 times. 1st on a air condition fan blade and motor being repaired. This company would only pay for a little over 200 dollars of a 550.00 dollars invoice. The last time we broke down in the middle of the country, motor home (43 ft) had to be towed. This company only paid 300 of a 900 dollar tow bill. The problem that happened was 3 freeze plugs came out of the head. American Guardian will only pay for 2134.40 of a 3525.42 bill. By the way the work was done at a certified Cummins dealer! Part of the problem they say they don't pay for reprogramming the ECM although the ECM is what told the motor to shut down. So I don't have to get in details. PLEASE PEOPLE STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY. SCAM.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2020

If you are buying a vehicle and they offer you GAP coverages from American Guardian Warranty Services RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!!!! Hands down the WORST company I've ever dealt with. When my new car needed a repair, they DENIED my claim and then when I got into an accident and the car was paid off by my insurance company, they stated that Progressive did not give them enough money and denied to cover the rest. I paid $900 for this GAP coverage only to get denied twice and have them NOT pay for the "GAP". The customer service reps are rude as hell, and they use this INACCURATE pricing website called ** to OVERVALUE my car so that they have a reason not to pay the remaining $1700.00 on my vehicle.

They told me it "wasn't their problem" and that I would need to call Progressive to give them more money. Then I requested they email me a letter.... It took 4 calls and a month to get a denial letter. Before I purchased their GAP coverage, I read the reviews and they were HORRIBLE and I still purchased their plans. Biggest mistake ever! I am warning you to NOT make my same mistake and use this company. I've learned that most online reviews are pretty accurate and I am sure you have read a lot of unsatisfied reviews in addition to mine.

Save your money and pay out of pocket or find another GAP company. This company is just SHADY as hell. You probably have scrolled down and seen a bunch of 1 star reviews. I bet you the 5 star reviews are all FAKE. Take my word for it and PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY. Before you go to a car dealership, ask them what company they use for an extended warranty and GAP coverage. If they state it is American Guardian Warranty Services, then ask them if they have another company and if not, FIND ANOTHER CAR DEALERSHIP. Trust me, the reviews you see are ACCURATE.

Original review: Aug. 13, 2020

This company does not pay diagnostic fees, though you the customer are required to have the diagnosis done to diagnose the problem(s) needing repair. This company denies coverage for manufacturer defects when non-related maintenance [like an oil change at the suggested number of hours] isn't done - though no proof exists that the manufacturer defect can be directly related to routine maintenance. The bottom line is that this company provides policies that apparently they do not fully honor, and we found out too late it's a waste of money and they are NOT consumer-friendly. It is not recommended to purchase a policy with this company for any reason.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2020

Do not go here. Why:

•NO NEW PARTS OFFERED IN REPLACEMENT. Only want to replace transmission with a junkyard part. LITERALLY.

•Somehow justified not paying ANY LABOR COSTS. Also, their limit is a pathetic $100 per hour and you'll be hard pressed to find a legitimate shop that had that low a rate. YOU WILL PAY FOR LABOR ONE WAY OR ANOTHER.

•They send out an inspector and take their sweet time so YOU WILL BE CAR-LESS FOR DAYS. WEEKS FOR ME PERSONALLY.

Scam scam scam. Don't end up like me, go somewhere else.

Original review: Feb. 25, 2020

The engine in my Hyundai Tucson needed replaced. After 4 WEEKS of them arguing with a Hyundai service garage, they finally approved the repair. ...But, they would only approve the repair based on aftermarket prices, knowing that a Hyundai repair shop is not going to order aftermarket parts when the entire engine needs replaced. In the end, I was forced to pay ALMOST $2,000 out of pocket (and my plan had no deductible). Stay away from this garbage.

Original review: Dec. 5, 2019

I bought a newer truck and got the extended warrantee for the truck. They covered the turbo with me paying a portion of it. Then they got a rebuilt turbo. Which nobody that gives a damn about their reputation. But they found someone back east that rebuilt them and two months later it is worse than the one they replaced the first time and now the company they bought it from won't stand by their crap. The warrantee company said they aren't responsible for the crap they put in my truck. So now it's going to cost me thousands to fix their mess.

Original review: Nov. 21, 2019

They will never pay any claims no matter what level contract Agreement that you purchase. Please stay away. No matter what part it is ... it will not be covered. My dealer service department explained to them why it should be covered. They are disrespectful thieves.

Original review: May 28, 2019

I was new to RV and decided to buy. What a costly mistake!!! I have a generator issue with the carburetor and my claim has been denied with a cause that does not make sense. We maintain and take good care of our RV but it is ludicrous the expectations. Save your money for when you need it.

Quick and easy. Get matched with an Auto Warranty partner.

American Guardian Warranty Services Inc. Company Information