3.27/5

Looking for a travel site?

Travelzoo

Looking for a travel site?

Travelzoo Reviews

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

Travelzoo is a broker that takes no interest in the quality of products or services you buy. If you, like me, are a victim of FRAUD by a vendor they have on their website, you are basically screwed. BUYER BEWARE. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Original review: May 30, 2019

We were directed to Travelzoo from Azores Vacation in order to rent a car. Travelzoo in turn sent us on to a company called Rentalcars.Com‎, who entered us into a contract with Goldcar to rent a car in Madeira for a week. We also purchased the extra insurance package from Travelzoo but they just bounced us to a company called Rentalcover.com who we purchased the policy. You don't know about all these links when you rent from Travelzoo. You just agreed to extra insurance and you assume you just bought it, along with the car, from Travelzoo.

The actual rental company Goldcar, upon our arrival in Madeira, refused to give us the car. Saying our rental agreement was not complete. Goldcar wanted an additional $254 Euros (more than doubling the price we paid Travelzoo). We went next door to Avis and rented a car for less than Goldcar was asking for the top up of 254 Euros. Now try and get your money back from this chain. Is it Azores Vacation, Travelzoo, Rentalcars.com, Goldcar or Rentalcover.com? Goldcar staff at the Madeira airport are con artists and quite simply crooks. We had to get the police involved. Even the airport police warned us before going to the counter that they know how bad the staff are and that they get numerous complaints.

Get expert buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 30, 2019

On March 26, 2019, due to the confusing stacking and inconspicuous print for ticketing options to Knott’s Berry Farm, we accidentally purchased 4 tickets valid only through March 28, 2019, instead of using the selection just below for tickets for March 29, 2019 and thereafter. Why they would list tickets that expire in two days and not put such disclosure in bold print, or in red font, is puzzling. Immediately, we recognized the mistake and called the customer service department and were quite rudely and abruptly advised that the applicable “terms and conditions” say no refunds so there was nothing TravelZoo can do.

Selling “season tickets” on its website which expire in 48 HOURS is not in good faith; Stacking the options on top of each other without any particular conspicuous text indicating or calling out the expiration date is unfair; The mistake like we made must occur quite often given TravelZoo’s placement of the options with valid dates in smaller text than the title above which indicates “2019 ADMISSION… GOOD ANY DAY”; Such mistakes are the result of TravelZoo’s placement of these boxes and allows TravelZoo to be unjustly benefitted at the expense of consumers like us; and There are not enforceable “NO REFUND” terms and conditions applicable as indicated on the screens below… This is not an enforceable “clickwrap contract” --- rather it is an unenforceable provision that requires the consumer to click on the “READ MORE” hyperlink (such provisions were deemed to be unenforceable in the Overstock v. Hines case and in the Nguyen v. Barnes and Noble cases).

Original review: March 5, 2019

We have a vacation planned to start in one week. Booked it through Travelzoo. Just received an email from Solage that they are under construction and that the spa area - hot pools - will not be available. Evidently, it is an annual closed for repair that is a secret until the week before you arrive. The warm pools are the primary reason that we go to Solage. No refund. We are retired and this is a significant expense for us. I'm heartsick.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I have traveled a lot with budget travel agencies from Travelzoo. Fleetway is the worst. Italy was great but Fleetway was not. Not a customer oriented company. They sold me a package from Newark to Rome and back. I made my own connections to get to Newark. Contacted me three weeks before the trip and told me the return trip had changed and was now a day later. Wanted me to stay a day longer AT MY OWN EXPENSE. I insisted they find me a flight that same day to avoid paying for rescheduling my connection. After I insisted, they did but it came into JFK instead of Newark and I had to pay $35 for a shuttle to get to Newark. PLUS an additional $35 to check my bag because the flight home was with two airlines and I had to retrieve my luggage in Amsterdam and go out of security, check in again at another airline and pay again for checked bags.

The airline (Norwegian) was a budget airline which I understand. I have flown them before. But they neglected to tell me that if I paid for my checked bag 48 hrs before the flight, I would only pay a fraction of the $110 I ended up paying at the counter on check in. When people get budget airlines, a customer oriented company will MAKE SURE they highlight these important details to their customers to avoid this kind of review. They didn't seem interested in helping their customers save money when they could. When I called them while in Italy, to obtain the record number to check in the rep just kept saying "I realize that" until finally said "I don't think you realize that". They gave VERY poor customer service. I WON'T BE USING THEM AGAIN.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Travelzoo?

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

If you want a great deal and great service, use Travelzoo and use Fleetway Travel Service in the UK. We had an awesome time in Iceland. Our Travelzoo pricing was superb, can't beat the price. Fleetway Travel meet more than the expectation. Will use them again for sure.

Original review: Oct. 1, 2018

Our "guide" on the Travelzoo tour in Montenegro to National parks: Lovcen and Skadar Lake was HORRIBLE. He did not introduce himself, gave NO info during the tour on any sites, got lost twice, used his cell phone while driving, at each stop we had to ask him how long we were to be at this stop. We never even saw Skadar lake. (We did see the river.)

Original review: Sept. 6, 2018

Misrepresented Parking - Not such a great deal after all. An additional $50 a NIGHT for parking. It's NOT specified by Travelzoo prior to arrival!! Stated Valet Parking additional! The additional cost, added to sta, was almost 3/4 the cost of the hotel!!

Original review: Aug. 23, 2018

Don't waste your time trying to find and actually book travel deals through this company. For over a decade I've received and read the multiple offers sent to my email every week by Travelzoo. I have found travel deals and packages that looked enticing. In the past, we purchased event tickets, packages, and even booked a cruise using Travelzoo. The last two offers I tried to book ended up being bogus. My most recent bad experience happened this week. Travelzoo's "Top 20 List" included a 5 night package to Paris from several US cities. The package included r/t air and hotel for $599 per person. I followed the booking directions provided by Travelzoo, which connected me with the vendor, Fleetway Travel. I went through all the steps, answering all the questions, selecting the available dates, airports, upgrades, and options. I completed the required documentation and registration.

At the conclusion of this process, Fleetway's online booking told me my travel reservation had been submitted and that someone would contact me the next day for payment processing. Three days passed and I had not been contacted. I tried to call Fleetway Travel and couldn't get through (number I had went to The UK). I contacted Travelzoo customer service and they told me they would look into my reservation. The next day Travelzoo Customer Rep., Lisa called me and said Fleetway had my reservation and would be calling me shortly. Later that day, I finally got a call from Fleetway Travel. They denied having a record of my reservation and the Fleetway Rep. told me they have not been able to process or even read the reservations submitted via their website due to the heavy volume of calls they had been receiving.

The Fleetway Rep would not honor my reservation, look for my reservation, or even acknowledge that they had received a submission from me. I told the Fleetway Rep. my exact submission dates and that I had followed the directions provided by their and Travelzoo's websites, and that I was supposed to receive a call to process payment. She said "we can't be chasing people down who booked vacations online" and "I have booked over 20 vacations for customers who called in today alone, I don't have time to check online reservation requests". The advertised travel deal I signed up for 5 days earlier via Fleetway Travels own website was not available, if it ever really existed.

I immediately called Travelzoo Customer Service to inquire why they told me Fleetway had my reservation, to ask why online bookings weren't being honored, and finally ask why Travelzoo would partner with a vendor of this poor of caliber. Doesn't Travelzoo check out the businesses it promotes? Travelzoo Customer Rep. apologized for my experience, said they would note my complaint for future reference when working with Fleetway Travel, but that Travelzoo couldn't make Fleetway Travel honor the promoted travel deal.

The other bad experience with Travelzoo occurred last month when I tried to book a hotel room package. The Guy Harvey Outrigger Motel in St. Petersburg, FL offered a special rate for a 3 night stay over Labor Day. When I called them (Guy Harvey Reservations) and mentioned the Travelzoo Package, the price with hidden charges and required extras went up nearly $500. Based on these two back-to-back bad experiences, I can no longer use Travelzoo and would highly recommend others save themselves the time and trouble of using this online service.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2018

The Travelzoo listed a small group 7 day safari to Kenya. When I tried to book, the site sent me to the Essential Safari trip and speaking with a tour operator he and later 2 said the $1599. Price was for a 30-40 person group. In fact there was nothing in Travelzoo in its first listing that said it was a normal sized group tour. In looking at the Gate 1 site I saw a small group trip listed for about $3900 including flights. So what is going on? Bait and switch. Call to Travelzoo failed to have an explanation, only that they would "look into it." Travelzoo and Gate One Travel should both be criticized for allowing this misinformation to continue when it is a bait and switch listing in this week's Top 20 tour listings by Travelzoo.

Travelzoo expert review by ConsumerAffairs

Travelzoo has connections to more than 2,000 travel and entertainment companies to give tourists access to fun activities as well as travel services.

• Entertainment: Travelzoo is one of the few travel websites that can help tourists find activities as well as travel services.

• Restaurants: Restaurant reviews on Travelzoo can help tourists find the best food in their destination cities.

• Cruises: Travelzoo books cruises throughout North America, Europe and Asia.

• Featured destinations: Travelzoo provides detailed guides to its featured destinations.

• Gifts: Travelzoo's Gift Guides offer discounted prices to spas, restaurants, bars and other places tourists may want to visit.

• Best for: Luxury travelers.

Profile picture of ConsumerAffairs