2. Travel
  3. Travel Sites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 3.03/5

Travelzoo Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Travelzoo?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Travelzoo?

Original review: May 13, 2020

We booked our vacation package in early December to Spain. We paid over $2300. After the whole pandemic hits, I practically waited for someone to contact me since I understand it could be delayed due to all cancelation trips. Finally few emails inquiry from me on what I should do, someone contacted me after our travel date. Given us an option of canceling our trip and option one would be travel voucher ($1400), or final refund ($1000).

This is the reason why I am writing this. This is not only it is poor business practice but it's called robbing its customers. Pandemics was never anyone one fault in this matter, but what important is we paid full price for our trip and only to get back not even 40% of refund if we decided to get final refund. Please do not book with this agency, poor business integrity and this type of business should be shut down. Money do not grow on tree! So stay away everyone and take this as a warning to avoid this kind of business in future.

Original review: April 13, 2020

We booked a $5000 trip to Greece through TravelZoo and their "partner" Jetline Holidays based in London. In early March, we called Jetline with concern over COVID-19 and we were told that we had nothing to worry about, if the airlines or hotel cancel, we'd be offered a refund. A few days later, the airlines and hotel cancelled. We called Jetline again and we were told they'd call us back. A few days later we get an email saying Jetline office closed down including their phones. We never received a call back from Jetline. We called Travelzoo at least a half dozen times. Although polite, they said they'd try to reach Jetline on our behalf. Of course, they never did. Time to find some lawyers.

Get buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: March 9, 2020

Booked a trip using the Travelzoo site for the price of 1355.00. Not even 8 hours later the exact same trip dropped in price to 1195.00. A difference of 160.00. Called the customer service immediately and showed them the proof of the difference in price and was told they would not honor the lower price. That the Hilton hotel I booked lowered the price but they would not credit me the 160.00. I asked to speak to a supervisor or management and was told that a note would be left for them to contact me the next day. No response so I submitted an email for my request on a Saturday.

They finally responded today Monday and said they would not give me the credit. Stating once you book and pay they do not issue credit. This must be the only company in the states at least that does not honor a refund or credit if the price drops. I mean this wasn’t even 24 hours, this price dropped within 8 hours. This is my first dealings with this site and it will be my last. So beware of their policies as others have stated above. This is not a company who believes in satisfying their customer.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

I booked a nights stay for 2 at Dean Valley Manor Hotel through Travelzoo. However my stay was cancelled by the hotel but they kept my money! I have tried everything to get my money back but I have been well and truly ripped off! Do not be conned as I have!!!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

Travelzoo is a broker that takes no interest in the quality of products or services you buy. If you, like me, are a victim of FRAUD by a vendor they have on their website, you are basically screwed. BUYER BEWARE. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Original review: May 30, 2019

We were directed to Travelzoo from Azores Vacation in order to rent a car. Travelzoo in turn sent us on to a company called Rentalcars.Com‎, who entered us into a contract with Goldcar to rent a car in Madeira for a week. We also purchased the extra insurance package from Travelzoo but they just bounced us to a company called Rentalcover.com who we purchased the policy. You don't know about all these links when you rent from Travelzoo. You just agreed to extra insurance and you assume you just bought it, along with the car, from Travelzoo.

The actual rental company Goldcar, upon our arrival in Madeira, refused to give us the car. Saying our rental agreement was not complete. Goldcar wanted an additional $254 Euros (more than doubling the price we paid Travelzoo). We went next door to Avis and rented a car for less than Goldcar was asking for the top up of 254 Euros. Now try and get your money back from this chain. Is it Azores Vacation, Travelzoo, Rentalcars.com, Goldcar or Rentalcover.com? Goldcar staff at the Madeira airport are con artists and quite simply crooks. We had to get the police involved. Even the airport police warned us before going to the counter that they know how bad the staff are and that they get numerous complaints.

Original review: March 30, 2019

On March 26, 2019, due to the confusing stacking and inconspicuous print for ticketing options to Knott’s Berry Farm, we accidentally purchased 4 tickets valid only through March 28, 2019, instead of using the selection just below for tickets for March 29, 2019 and thereafter. Why they would list tickets that expire in two days and not put such disclosure in bold print, or in red font, is puzzling. Immediately, we recognized the mistake and called the customer service department and were quite rudely and abruptly advised that the applicable “terms and conditions” say no refunds so there was nothing TravelZoo can do.

Selling “season tickets” on its website which expire in 48 HOURS is not in good faith; Stacking the options on top of each other without any particular conspicuous text indicating or calling out the expiration date is unfair; The mistake like we made must occur quite often given TravelZoo’s placement of the options with valid dates in smaller text than the title above which indicates “2019 ADMISSION… GOOD ANY DAY”; Such mistakes are the result of TravelZoo’s placement of these boxes and allows TravelZoo to be unjustly benefitted at the expense of consumers like us; and There are not enforceable “NO REFUND” terms and conditions applicable as indicated on the screens below… This is not an enforceable “clickwrap contract” --- rather it is an unenforceable provision that requires the consumer to click on the “READ MORE” hyperlink (such provisions were deemed to be unenforceable in the Overstock v. Hines case and in the Nguyen v. Barnes and Noble cases).

Original review: March 5, 2019

We have a vacation planned to start in one week. Booked it through Travelzoo. Just received an email from Solage that they are under construction and that the spa area - hot pools - will not be available. Evidently, it is an annual closed for repair that is a secret until the week before you arrive. The warm pools are the primary reason that we go to Solage. No refund. We are retired and this is a significant expense for us. I'm heartsick.

Original review: Dec. 14, 2018

I have traveled a lot with budget travel agencies from Travelzoo. Fleetway is the worst. Italy was great but Fleetway was not. Not a customer oriented company. They sold me a package from Newark to Rome and back. I made my own connections to get to Newark. Contacted me three weeks before the trip and told me the return trip had changed and was now a day later. Wanted me to stay a day longer AT MY OWN EXPENSE. I insisted they find me a flight that same day to avoid paying for rescheduling my connection. After I insisted, they did but it came into JFK instead of Newark and I had to pay $35 for a shuttle to get to Newark. PLUS an additional $35 to check my bag because the flight home was with two airlines and I had to retrieve my luggage in Amsterdam and go out of security, check in again at another airline and pay again for checked bags.

The airline (Norwegian) was a budget airline which I understand. I have flown them before. But they neglected to tell me that if I paid for my checked bag 48 hrs before the flight, I would only pay a fraction of the $110 I ended up paying at the counter on check in. When people get budget airlines, a customer oriented company will MAKE SURE they highlight these important details to their customers to avoid this kind of review. They didn't seem interested in helping their customers save money when they could. When I called them while in Italy, to obtain the record number to check in the rep just kept saying "I realize that" until finally said "I don't think you realize that". They gave VERY poor customer service. I WON'T BE USING THEM AGAIN.

Original review: Oct. 13, 2018

If you want a great deal and great service, use Travelzoo and use Fleetway Travel Service in the UK. We had an awesome time in Iceland. Our Travelzoo pricing was superb, can't beat the price. Fleetway Travel meet more than the expectation. Will use them again for sure.

Travelzoo author review by ConsumerAffairs

Travelzoo has connections to more than 2,000 travel and entertainment companies to give tourists access to fun activities as well as travel services.

• Entertainment: Travelzoo is one of the few travel websites that can help tourists find activities as well as travel services.

• Restaurants: Restaurant reviews on Travelzoo can help tourists find the best food in their destination cities.

• Cruises: Travelzoo books cruises throughout North America, Europe and Asia.

• Featured destinations: Travelzoo provides detailed guides to its featured destinations.

• Gifts: Travelzoo's Gift Guides offer discounted prices to spas, restaurants, bars and other places tourists may want to visit.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team