2. Travel
  3. Travel Sites

3.3/5 (76 ratings)

About Travelzoo

Travelzoo Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Travelzoo?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Travelzoo?

Original review: May 1, 2021

I used to like them but they’re not the company they once were. I purchased a trip through them, with a company called Jetline Holidays. Jetline Holidays turns out to be scammers (**), and Travelzoo has been informed of this. Not only are they refusing to help me get my money back, they continue to work with Jetline. If you buy through Travelzoo, you will get no support. Please shop elsewhere.

Original review: April 5, 2021

I purchased a hotel package in December 2020 for my wife and I to go to Jamaica in June 2021. The travel voucher states that it's 100% refundable. I recently found out that I would have to cancel the trip due to family issues. I called Travelzoo and they tell me to call the resort and cancel and then call them back with cancellation number from resort. I called the resort Sandy Haven and spoke with Rowen. I explained everything to him and he told me that Travelzoo was wrong, that they needed to contact the resort and cancel my reservation and then the resort would cancel them.

I immediately call Travelzoo back and speak with a young lady named Elaine. She claims that the resort is wrong and that she will call them and help me out. She puts me on hold for like 10 minutes and says she couldn't reach them and that she was going to escalate my issue to the next level and get and have another department handle it. After not hearing anything for several days I call Travelzoo back and speak to Regina and she tells me they are still working on. In the meantime I send a email to the resort and get a response telling me the same thing again in writing now that I had been told over the phone.

I call back to Travelzoo 3 days later and speak to another young lady and she again puts me on hold for a long period of time and comes back and says she can't reach the resort so while on the phone with her I call the resort on my cell phone and wow they answered in 2 rings. I asked the girl why can I reach them and she can't and she just ignored my question and again goes in this long drawn out and rehearsed, "I'm sorry for your inconvenience but we will push this upstairs to get this taken care of", that I need to be patient. It can take several days. Well it's been 7 for a total 15 days and I still don't have my refund. If they can take my money in 30 seconds and they offer a 100% guaranteed refund then they damn well should be able to give back my money in 15 days.

Get buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: Feb. 22, 2021

While Travelzoo was once my go-to travel company, the pandemic seems to have made them resort to dishonesty. These trips are not refundable and no one can ever reach the travel companies. Might as well flush your money down the toilet.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2021

I just bought a voucher for $999 and tried to use it at the hotel. Interestingly if I booked the hotel directly, it would have saved about 30% of that price. Another disturbing fact is that the hotel was having a major construction right next to it and the sold by Travelzoo "suite" was in fact a small, regular hotel room. Very bad experience. Travelzoo never wanted to respond to my complaint. They obviously do not care.

Original review: May 13, 2020

We booked our vacation package in early December to Spain. We paid over $2300. After the whole pandemic hits, I practically waited for someone to contact me since I understand it could be delayed due to all cancelation trips. Finally few emails inquiry from me on what I should do, someone contacted me after our travel date. Given us an option of canceling our trip and option one would be travel voucher ($1400), or final refund ($1000).

This is the reason why I am writing this. This is not only it is poor business practice but it's called robbing its customers. Pandemics was never anyone one fault in this matter, but what important is we paid full price for our trip and only to get back not even 40% of refund if we decided to get final refund. Please do not book with this agency, poor business integrity and this type of business should be shut down. Money do not grow on tree! So stay away everyone and take this as a warning to avoid this kind of business in future.

Original review: April 13, 2020

We booked a $5000 trip to Greece through TravelZoo and their "partner" Jetline Holidays based in London. In early March, we called Jetline with concern over COVID-19 and we were told that we had nothing to worry about, if the airlines or hotel cancel, we'd be offered a refund. A few days later, the airlines and hotel cancelled. We called Jetline again and we were told they'd call us back. A few days later we get an email saying Jetline office closed down including their phones. We never received a call back from Jetline. We called Travelzoo at least a half dozen times. Although polite, they said they'd try to reach Jetline on our behalf. Of course, they never did. Time to find some lawyers.

Original review: March 9, 2020

Booked a trip using the Travelzoo site for the price of 1355.00. Not even 8 hours later the exact same trip dropped in price to 1195.00. A difference of 160.00. Called the customer service immediately and showed them the proof of the difference in price and was told they would not honor the lower price. That the Hilton hotel I booked lowered the price but they would not credit me the 160.00. I asked to speak to a supervisor or management and was told that a note would be left for them to contact me the next day. No response so I submitted an email for my request on a Saturday.

They finally responded today Monday and said they would not give me the credit. Stating once you book and pay they do not issue credit. This must be the only company in the states at least that does not honor a refund or credit if the price drops. I mean this wasn’t even 24 hours, this price dropped within 8 hours. This is my first dealings with this site and it will be my last. So beware of their policies as others have stated above. This is not a company who believes in satisfying their customer.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2019

I booked a nights stay for 2 at Dean Valley Manor Hotel through Travelzoo. However my stay was cancelled by the hotel but they kept my money! I have tried everything to get my money back but I have been well and truly ripped off! Do not be conned as I have!!!

Original review: Aug. 12, 2019

Travelzoo is a broker that takes no interest in the quality of products or services you buy. If you, like me, are a victim of FRAUD by a vendor they have on their website, you are basically screwed. BUYER BEWARE. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

Original review: May 30, 2019

We were directed to Travelzoo from Azores Vacation in order to rent a car. Travelzoo in turn sent us on to a company called Rentalcars.Com‎, who entered us into a contract with Goldcar to rent a car in Madeira for a week. We also purchased the extra insurance package from Travelzoo but they just bounced us to a company called Rentalcover.com who we purchased the policy. You don't know about all these links when you rent from Travelzoo. You just agreed to extra insurance and you assume you just bought it, along with the car, from Travelzoo.

The actual rental company Goldcar, upon our arrival in Madeira, refused to give us the car. Saying our rental agreement was not complete. Goldcar wanted an additional $254 Euros (more than doubling the price we paid Travelzoo). We went next door to Avis and rented a car for less than Goldcar was asking for the top up of 254 Euros. Now try and get your money back from this chain. Is it Azores Vacation, Travelzoo, Rentalcars.com, Goldcar or Rentalcover.com? Goldcar staff at the Madeira airport are con artists and quite simply crooks. We had to get the police involved. Even the airport police warned us before going to the counter that they know how bad the staff are and that they get numerous complaints.

Travelzoo author review by ConsumerAffairs

Travelzoo has connections to more than 2,000 travel and entertainment companies to give tourists access to fun activities as well as travel services.

• Entertainment: Travelzoo is one of the few travel websites that can help tourists find activities as well as travel services.

• Restaurants: Restaurant reviews on Travelzoo can help tourists find the best food in their destination cities.

• Cruises: Travelzoo books cruises throughout North America, Europe and Asia.

• Featured destinations: Travelzoo provides detailed guides to its featured destinations.

• Gifts: Travelzoo's Gift Guides offer discounted prices to spas, restaurants, bars and other places tourists may want to visit.

by ConsumerAffairs Research Team