3.6/5 (242 ratings)

About Travelzoo

Travelzoo Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Travelzoo?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Travelzoo?

Original review: May 1, 2022

We booked a trip with Travelzoo only to find out that we had really booked a trip with Jetline Vacations in the UK. We were supposed to go on a boat trip around the island on the 2nd day and were not given any notice that it was canceled until we got to the port. No refund was given, we were simply told it was canceled. Then I tested positive for Covid and couldn't fly home as planned. I called Roger/Jetline who we had been working with and was told that all of the arrangements were up to me to make, I was in a foreign country and didn't speak the language.

I called Travelzoo and they were no help either. It took many phone calls and hours on the phone to reschedule my flight. Luckily I was able to stay in my current room at the hotel. When it came time to fly home I was told that I had to pay for the shuttle/ferry/shuttle to the airport even though I had already paid for it because it had to be rescheduled. I think it is unacceptable and found that dealing with the booking companies was fine until you needed their help - then they tell you that you are on your own to make arrangements. We won't be using Travelzoo again and are telling everyone of our experience.

Travelzoo response

Hello Sue, I am sorry to hear you contracted COVID-19 & hope you've made a full recovery. I see our team has been in contact with you directly to follow up on your concerns and has advocated on your behalf with Jetline. While we weren't able to negotiate the resolution you desired, we recommend filing a claim with your travel insurance provider due to the unexpected interruption. If there are any other concerns, please call us at 877-665-0000, 7 days a week, 9 AM - 9 PM ET.

Sincerely,

Amanda

Original review: April 9, 2022

Booked a Travelzoo offer for a May trip to the island of Ischia in Italy. The travel company is Jetline. They have changed our flights three times already, extorted an additional $2,700 to book new flights, and rebooked our hotel from the one identified in the offer. We had added two nights in Sorrento and just learned that our hotel there is a 4-hour walk to Sorrento. A tour company that I booked privately for a tour of Pompeii won’t even pick us up at our hotel because it is too far away. Why would Travelzoo front a company that extorts, lies, evades, bait-and-switches and steals?

Hello Mark,

Thank you for sharing. I'm sorry to hear that this has happened, we would like to take a closer look. Please email us at support@travelzoo.com with the purchase details so we may better assist.

Amanda

Get buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 6, 2022

I received the top 20 email from Travelzoo like anyone else. I see an advertised vacation on Travelzoo’s website for $499 to Porto, Portugal through Jetline Vacations. I call, set up a date for my honeymoon, pay, and receive my receipt and information in my email. I sent an email inquiring about rescheduling fees. 8 days before leaving, on my wedding day, I get a call from Jerry. He said my flight was moved by 24 hours (no paper trail). With the new dates, I couldn’t go, so I asked for a refund. After much bickering, I was only offered a credit. After getting back from my wedding and having time to look through the terms and conditions, clause #7 states that I am in the right for a refund.

After calling Jetline today, I was told that is impossible and that the terms and conditions on Travelzoo’s website “clearly” stated it was nonrefundable. The link I used to redirect me to Jetline’s website is no longer active and so there is no tracing the conditions that way. Travelzoo has nothing about refunds concerning this scenario. At the end of the day, I was provided terms and conditions from Jetline’s website and they will not honor the situation warranting a refund which is a fraudulent behavior. I was told to contact their admin team, but they have not responded to my emails.

Hello Sabrina,

Thank you for sharing this information. I'm sorry to hear that has happened, we would like to know more. Please contact Travelzoo Customer Support directly at 877-665-0000 with the purchase details so we may better assist you.

Amanda

Original review: March 14, 2022

I purchased an Afternoon Tea Voucher for 2 people prior to first lockdown so was unable to use it, the voucher was extended to Sept 2021 but due to pandemic lasting 2 years and the fact that we live 100 miles away from venue (we were going to use it when holidaying there), work commitments, etc., we have been unable to use it. Today I went to book into the venue as we are returning to the area only to find voucher has expired. I rang Travelzoo about this. The person I spoke to was unsympathetic and unhelpful and said, "Well the venue has been open." I have paid in good faith and asked if it could be renewed but he wasn't interested, and tried to say the fault lay with me for not using it!!!!

Given the upset and misery to our lives the past 2 years and the fact we were told NOT to travel unless it was strictly necessary, I think an Afternoon Tea would be frowned upon, how was I supposed to use this voucher. I am not happy at all with Travel Zoo. Why can't they refresh this voucher which they have been paid for???? I certainly will not recommend them or use them again, they could have easily refreshed this voucher. The sentence BUYER BEWARE springs to mind.

Hello Helen,

I'm very sorry to hear that this happened. We would like to take a closer look, please provide us with your voucher number so we may review further.

Amanda

Original review: March 9, 2022

Was unable to make the trip and had to cancel a few days before the trip due to illness during a pandemic. Since it was less than 7 days, we were charged a penalty fee which was the price we paid. So $685 is what we paid + $685 penalty. Plus we were told we couldn't use it at a later date. So $1300+ down the drain on top of the airfare. Never heard of such a practice and no one is willing to budge on their policy. Buyer beware if you use Travelzoo.

Hello Kari,

I'm so sorry to hear this happened and understand your frustration with the penalty for the late cancellation of your stay. I apologize for any confusion in regards to the hotel's cancellation policy, however their policies do prevail and they applied your voucher towards the penalty for the late cancellation. I am notifying our Deal Experts and thank you for sharing that feedback.

Original review: March 1, 2022

I got a voucher to the Maldives in Sept, 2020 during Covid but it's fully refundable. Finally able to travel there without restrictions and went to book and they only have 2 months available Aug/Sept and it expires Oct, 2022 for vouchers. It’s only 2 months into the year and they have already hit their limit for vouchers. They limit the amount people can use them apparently. They’ll refund if they can’t fit the dates- So basically they got a free loan for 2 years! Support just says- sorry for the misunderstanding. They do NOT tell you that there is a limit to how many vouchers these places will book ahead of time!! Total false advertising so don’t buy one of these unless you can try and book it immediately!

Hello Jennifer,

Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that you couldn't get the dates you wanted. Please contact Travelzoo Customer Support directly at 877-665-0000 or email us at support@travelzoo.com with the purchase details and your desired dates so we may assist you.

Original review: March 1, 2022

I love getting the Travelzoo emails and fantasizing about the holidays! I have to tell you, it's turned into a giant Nightmare! Travelzoo should not do business with or promote this company in my opinion. We have had by far the worst experience with Jetline Holidays. Jetline has today requested a refund for our flights from French Bee airline and are trying to charge us additional retail market value for the new flights we would like. We are already $3000+ into this vacation "package" (aka SCAM) and they are wanting to charge us an additional $1900+ to change our dates. I will never do a "bargain" trip again. The customer service is terrible. You have to deal with only your own travel agent. Ours name is Robyn; who has a thick accent and communicates only by phone. I honestly don't even want to go on this trip anymore. Jetline Holidays has turned this into a nightmare! DO NOT BOOK A VACATION WITH JETLINE HOLIDAYS!

Hello Rebecca,

Thank you for sharing. I'm sorry to hear that has happened. Please contact Travelzoo Customer Support directly at 877-665-0000 or email us at support@travelzoo.com with the purchase details so we may assist you.

Amanda

Original review: Feb. 28, 2022

I never do this, but I felt like I really needed to warn others about this scam. I booked through TravelZoo on Jetline Vacations, and the trip had to be cancelled due to Covid. Since then, they have refused to refund the money, call me back when they promised, or accommodate a rescheduling in any timely manner. I called them multiple times a week for several months, and still, nothing ever changed. I am going to try to file a claim in court to get my money back, but whether I get it or not, I just want others to know never to trust them. They make TravelZoo look terrible, and I'm honestly shocked that they would continue to use them as a vendor.

Hello Grace,

Thank you for sharing. I'm sorry to hear of the experience you're having with Jetline Vacations. We'd like to take a closer look. Please email Travelzoo Customer Support directly at support@travelzoo.com with your purchase details so we may better assist you.

Amanda

Original review: Feb. 22, 2022

I purchased a Brewdog Beer & Cheese voucher just prior to the first lockdown. It was extended till November 2021 by Brewdog & Travelzoo claimed it was 'Fully Refundable'. I was not able to use it until after the second lockdown so when I contacted the pub, I was told on two occasions that it was too busy & I should try again when it was less busy. Because of other commitments, a couple of isolations, Christmas etc... I could not use it but I thought it would be safe because of the 'Fully Refundable' claim.

Hmmm... clearly I did not read the small print. When I contacted Travelzoo they said they would not refund because of company policy... They have not taken into account the pandemic & it's as if it is a robot replying to their emails. Brewdog themselves said I should contact Travelzoo & ask them to reconsider - so I did... & got the same reply. I will not use Travelzoo again & would recommend to others to think very carefully before using them. Read some of the other reviews first.

Hello Ian,

Thank you for sharing. I'm sorry to hear that has happened. Please contact Travelzoo Customer Support directly at +44 (0) 20 3564 3000 or email us at support_uk@travelzoo.com with your purchase details so we may assist you.

Amanda

Original review: Feb. 21, 2022

We booked a trip offered by Travelzoo through Jetline Holidays for a seven-day trip to Paris and London for September 2021. After we paid $3950.00 for three people for this trip, Jetline Holidays told us the airline cancelled our flight due to covid-19, but that we shouldn't worried because, even though they don't refund the money, we had until December 31, 2021, to book another trip to be taken during 2022. When I called in the beginning of December to book our new trip, they wanted $3,000.00 more, arguing that the airplane fare had increased. After I told them that they were delusional if they thought I was going to pay a total of $7,000.00 for the trip, they started emailing me "offers". They went from asking an additional amount of $3,000.00, to $2000.00, then $1,850.00, $1,000.00. I said no.

Their "final offer", paying an additional $550.00 (which would've been $4,450.00 total) included only six nights, not seven as we had paid for, and no visit to London. The hotel they were giving us was in a bad neighborhood of Paris, and it looks more like a hostel than a hotel. I checked online and the airline tickets were $570.00 per person. The hotel is advertised online for $70.00 a night. Total cost $2,130.00. I had already paid $3,950.00, and they wanted me to pay $550.00 more! I didn't pay and they said I lost my money for not booking the new trip. By now, of course, my credit card company cannot reverse the charges because it has been too long. I trusted Travelzoo thinking that they only advertise reputable companies in their website. But now I know that I was wrong, and that mistake cost me $3,950.00.

Hello Evangelina,

Thank you for sharing. I'm sorry to hear that has happened. We'd like to take a closer look, please email Travelzoo Customer Support at support@travelzoo.com with the purchase details so we may assist.

Travelzoo author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Travelzoo has connections to more than 2,000 travel and entertainment companies to give tourists access to fun activities as well as travel services.

• Entertainment: Travelzoo is one of the few travel websites that can help tourists find activities as well as travel services.

• Restaurants: Restaurant reviews on Travelzoo can help tourists find the best food in their destination cities.

• Cruises: Travelzoo books cruises throughout North America, Europe and Asia.

• Featured destinations: Travelzoo provides detailed guides to its featured destinations.

• Gifts: Travelzoo's Gift Guides offer discounted prices to spas, restaurants, bars and other places tourists may want to visit.

Travelzoo Company Information