3.7/5 (346 ratings)

About Travelzoo

Travelzoo Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Travelzoo?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Travelzoo?

Original review: Sept. 18, 2022

Bait and switch by Jetline Vacations through TravelZoo. We attempted to book a advertised trip on TravelZoo for a trip to Greece. The website advertised by TravelZoo was with a company called Jetline Vacations. The trip was advertised at $899. Sounds like a deal. Wrong! After an add on it went to $1299. The agent at Jetline Arthur was polite but soon became shady. After he and us agreed to the add on and the cost of $1299, Arthur advised that he would need a minute to confirm the flights. He came back and said the flights were long with long layovers to which we said that we could manage. He then said he was going to see if he could find better flights and would call us back, after a few minutes he called back, and said he found better flights but that it would cost $1799. We declined and said we would be fine with the $1299.

He then proceeded to say the $1299 flights were now no longer available after only a few minutes of telling us they were and we had agreed. We said then we would not be purchasing the trip to which he replied, "Let me check with a a manager." He then came back on the line and now said he could do the trip for $1599. What the heck is up with these shysters. Shame on Travelzoo for continuing to work with this company. I am not alone, look at all these sad disgruntled customers. Please TravelZoo consider your reputation as using these types of unsatisfactory companies is damage your reputation too. We did not book and will never consider Jetline Vacations.

Hello Robert,

Thank you for sharing. We're sorry to hear you've had a bad experience with Jetline Vacations and that you were unable to book the $899 rate we advertised. We are notifying our Deal Experts. Thank you for sharing that feedback.

The Travelzoo Team

Original review: Aug. 3, 2022

I've had great luck booking trips with offers I've found through Travelzoo. I've read some of the bad reviews, but it seems as though people expect things that this company doesn't do. As far as I can tell, they're an information clearinghouse; they exist to gather information about *other companies* that offer travel deals. It's not a travel agency itself. I've found great deals they've turned me onto, and the experience I had once I followed the link was the responsibility of the company offering the tour or travel deal. So far, they've been good - but if I have a bad experience, I won't be blaming it on Travelzoo. It's just like having a bad airbnb experience and blaming AirBNB. I might feel obligated to report a bad experience, host, or company - but I don't blame the company that doesn't have control over it.

Hi Jennifer,

Thank you so much for the great feedback. I'm excited to hear you had great experience. Happy travels!

Amanda

Get buying tips about Travel Sites delivered to your inbox.

Original review: June 5, 2022

Unclear travel time disclaimer (dates and times supplied 10 months after booking) is an omission that mislead us into buying an advertised PERU IN 9 DAYS trip advertising 8 nights AND 7 days in Peru, the 9th day allocated for travel to/from Peru. Exoticca’s actions to choose a flight to Peru that arrives at 23:30 EST and an early a.m. flight from Peru, erase 2 of our days in country and will have an extremely detrimental effect on our trip, purchased via Travelzoo advertising.

Three days before departure, multiple contacts with Travelzoo and Exoticca and no resolution. Offered us an option to purchase 2 extra days (we’ve already paid for those days) in Peru and different flights, for a $500.00+ USD up-charge! Our intention is to pursue all avenues of USA consumer protection, BBB, FTC, DOT and State of Florida Consumer Protection. >

Hello Mcat,

Thank you for sharing. We're sorry to hear you've had a bad experience with Exoticca and that your tour in Peru was not booked for the correct number of days. We'd like to review this further. Please contact Travelzoo Customer Support directly at 877-665-0000 or email us at support@travelzoo.com with your trip details including your booking number so we may better assist you.

Amanda

Original review: June 4, 2022

Like many others, I do not know why you continue to include Jetline Holidays in your Top 20 Deals. We had a nightmare experience with this agency and are now trying to obtain reimbursement for a rental car we had to hire after Jetline canceled our reservation. We arrived in Rome, exhausted, to find that the rental car reservation that was part of our package had been canceled. Many phone calls to Jetline with various explanations: "We did not cancel reservation." "Oh yes, we did cancel reservation because you did not pay for the rental car." SAY WHAT? WE PAID FOR A PACKAGE DEAL AND HAD THE VOUCHER FOR THE RENTAL CAR.

Then they told us to rent another car and they would reimburse us. Fortunately we have this in writing. After much research, we were able to find a car and salvage our holiday. Now they are saying they are not responsible and are "looking into it" as a courtesy. I loved TravelZoo before and recommended it to many people. Now I have lost complete respect and will never use again.

Hello Suzette,

Thank you for sharing. We're sorry to hear you've had a bad experience with Jetline and that your rental car reservation was cancelled. We'd like to review this further. Please contact Travelzoo Customer Support directly at 877-665-0000 or email us at support@travelzoo.com with your trip details including your booking number so we may better assist you.

Amanda

Original review: May 1, 2022

We booked a trip with Travelzoo only to find out that we had really booked a trip with Jetline Vacations in the UK. We were supposed to go on a boat trip around the island on the 2nd day and were not given any notice that it was canceled until we got to the port. No refund was given, we were simply told it was canceled. Then I tested positive for Covid and couldn't fly home as planned. I called Roger/Jetline who we had been working with and was told that all of the arrangements were up to me to make, I was in a foreign country and didn't speak the language.

I called Travelzoo and they were no help either. It took many phone calls and hours on the phone to reschedule my flight. Luckily I was able to stay in my current room at the hotel. When it came time to fly home I was told that I had to pay for the shuttle/ferry/shuttle to the airport even though I had already paid for it because it had to be rescheduled. I think it is unacceptable and found that dealing with the booking companies was fine until you needed their help - then they tell you that you are on your own to make arrangements. We won't be using Travelzoo again and are telling everyone of our experience.

Travelzoo response

Hello Sue, I am sorry to hear you contracted COVID-19 & hope you've made a full recovery. I see our team has been in contact with you directly to follow up on your concerns and has advocated on your behalf with Jetline. While we weren't able to negotiate the resolution you desired, we recommend filing a claim with your travel insurance provider due to the unexpected interruption. If there are any other concerns, please call us at 877-665-0000, 7 days a week, 9 AM - 9 PM ET.

Sincerely,

Amanda

Original review: April 9, 2022

Booked a Travelzoo offer for a May trip to the island of Ischia in Italy. The travel company is Jetline. They have changed our flights three times already, extorted an additional $2,700 to book new flights, and rebooked our hotel from the one identified in the offer. We had added two nights in Sorrento and just learned that our hotel there is a 4-hour walk to Sorrento. A tour company that I booked privately for a tour of Pompeii won’t even pick us up at our hotel because it is too far away. Why would Travelzoo front a company that extorts, lies, evades, bait-and-switches and steals?

Hello Mark,

Thank you for sharing. I'm sorry to hear that this has happened, we would like to take a closer look. Please email us at support@travelzoo.com with the purchase details so we may better assist.

Amanda

Original review: April 6, 2022

I received the top 20 email from Travelzoo like anyone else. I see an advertised vacation on Travelzoo’s website for $499 to Porto, Portugal through Jetline Vacations. I call, set up a date for my honeymoon, pay, and receive my receipt and information in my email. I sent an email inquiring about rescheduling fees. 8 days before leaving, on my wedding day, I get a call from Jerry. He said my flight was moved by 24 hours (no paper trail). With the new dates, I couldn’t go, so I asked for a refund. After much bickering, I was only offered a credit. After getting back from my wedding and having time to look through the terms and conditions, clause #7 states that I am in the right for a refund.

After calling Jetline today, I was told that is impossible and that the terms and conditions on Travelzoo’s website “clearly” stated it was nonrefundable. The link I used to redirect me to Jetline’s website is no longer active and so there is no tracing the conditions that way. Travelzoo has nothing about refunds concerning this scenario. At the end of the day, I was provided terms and conditions from Jetline’s website and they will not honor the situation warranting a refund which is a fraudulent behavior. I was told to contact their admin team, but they have not responded to my emails.

Hello Sabrina,

Thank you for sharing this information. I'm sorry to hear that has happened, we would like to know more. Please contact Travelzoo Customer Support directly at 877-665-0000 with the purchase details so we may better assist you.

Amanda

Original review: March 14, 2022

I purchased an Afternoon Tea Voucher for 2 people prior to first lockdown so was unable to use it, the voucher was extended to Sept 2021 but due to pandemic lasting 2 years and the fact that we live 100 miles away from venue (we were going to use it when holidaying there), work commitments, etc., we have been unable to use it. Today I went to book into the venue as we are returning to the area only to find voucher has expired. I rang Travelzoo about this. The person I spoke to was unsympathetic and unhelpful and said, "Well the venue has been open." I have paid in good faith and asked if it could be renewed but he wasn't interested, and tried to say the fault lay with me for not using it!!!!

Given the upset and misery to our lives the past 2 years and the fact we were told NOT to travel unless it was strictly necessary, I think an Afternoon Tea would be frowned upon, how was I supposed to use this voucher. I am not happy at all with Travel Zoo. Why can't they refresh this voucher which they have been paid for???? I certainly will not recommend them or use them again, they could have easily refreshed this voucher. The sentence BUYER BEWARE springs to mind.

Hello Helen,

I'm very sorry to hear that this happened. We would like to take a closer look, please provide us with your voucher number so we may review further.

Amanda

Original review: March 9, 2022

Was unable to make the trip and had to cancel a few days before the trip due to illness during a pandemic. Since it was less than 7 days, we were charged a penalty fee which was the price we paid. So $685 is what we paid + $685 penalty. Plus we were told we couldn't use it at a later date. So $1300+ down the drain on top of the airfare. Never heard of such a practice and no one is willing to budge on their policy. Buyer beware if you use Travelzoo.

Hello Kari,

I'm so sorry to hear this happened and understand your frustration with the penalty for the late cancellation of your stay. I apologize for any confusion in regards to the hotel's cancellation policy, however their policies do prevail and they applied your voucher towards the penalty for the late cancellation. I am notifying our Deal Experts and thank you for sharing that feedback.

Amanda

Original review: March 1, 2022

I got a voucher to the Maldives in Sept, 2020 during Covid but it's fully refundable. Finally able to travel there without restrictions and went to book and they only have 2 months available Aug/Sept and it expires Oct, 2022 for vouchers. It’s only 2 months into the year and they have already hit their limit for vouchers. They limit the amount people can use them apparently. They’ll refund if they can’t fit the dates- So basically they got a free loan for 2 years! Support just says- sorry for the misunderstanding. They do NOT tell you that there is a limit to how many vouchers these places will book ahead of time!! Total false advertising so don’t buy one of these unless you can try and book it immediately!

Hello Jennifer,

Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that you couldn't get the dates you wanted. Please contact Travelzoo Customer Support directly at 877-665-0000 or email us at support@travelzoo.com with the purchase details and your desired dates so we may assist you.

Travelzoo author review by ConsumerAffairs Research Team

Travelzoo has connections to more than 2,000 travel and entertainment companies to give tourists access to fun activities as well as travel services.

• Entertainment: Travelzoo is one of the few travel websites that can help tourists find activities as well as travel services.

• Restaurants: Restaurant reviews on Travelzoo can help tourists find the best food in their destination cities.

• Cruises: Travelzoo books cruises throughout North America, Europe and Asia.

• Featured destinations: Travelzoo provides detailed guides to its featured destinations.

• Gifts: Travelzoo's Gift Guides offer discounted prices to spas, restaurants, bars and other places tourists may want to visit.

Travelzoo Company Information