Lost Valley Lake Resort

Owensville, MO

Compare Timeshares

Research top Timeshares recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

Remember that old rock and roll tune called Hotel California? You can check in but you can't check out. I bought a General membership back in the early 80s. We did use the place for camping but eventually me and my wife's jobs took up so much time we were not able to utilize the place. I attempted to sell my membership but found out there are clauses in your contract that make this difficult. The main one being that you can't sell to someone who has visited LVL in a two-year time frame. There are fees involved too. You can advertise your membership in the classified ads but LVL runs ads there too. I eventually sold my membership about 15 years ago. Sold it for a heckuva lot less than I paid for it. My buyer bought the membership wisely, far more wisely than I did. The salespeople will tell you that there is plenty of room in the Hotel California. Don't listen.

I've been to Lost Valley Lake Resort many times over the years since my childhood. And have many friends with memberships. I would recommend it to anyone with a love of nature in a safe, fun country setting. There are numerous activities for your entire family to partake in. The staff has always been kind and helpful when needed. Very welcoming resort!

Do not get involved with this resort. Have had membership for over 30 years and it used to be great. Now it is overcrowded with permanent residents who live in RVs on the property. Most of the help is very rude. We decided to get rid of our membership and talked with their office about it. They would charge us thousands of dollars (about $5,000) to get rid of it. We decided to give it to a friend and had the title company transfer the deeded ownership ($105). Title company said we also had to contact Lost Valley to change membership. I called and got a very rude woman who said we have to pay $1600 to transfer membership.

2/4/2015 - reported I had not received yearly maintenance fee for 2015. Upon research I found the billing was sent twice (January and February) to wrong address so I reported this and requested a bill be sent to me immediately for payment to avoid a late fee. Was first threatened that I had to pay a late fee. Instead of providing good customer service (understanding the situation and waiving the late fee automatically), I had to demand no late fee and only after I called several people and reached a manager was that matter settled. Wanted to contact the manager via email and was given a wrong email so couldn't send to her. Have tried to reach her again by phone but no success. Rude staff members for such a large resort.

Second issue was that I had noticed no minorities in their newsletters/calendars. Was told they did have some and I replied had seen only one elderly black couple. I received no answer or concern about that issue. 3rd issue is regarding the maintenance fee charged to us every year. We have used the property only once since July 1990 because the one time we did go with the family, found mites in the room and some red bug on the toilet. Not clean and we did not go back. We cannot get out of this agreement now because we are now owners. Seems like there should not be a maintenance fee charged since we have not used any of the facilities since we moved from St. Louis to Georgia and now are in Alabama.

Have researched this resort and have been alarmed at the many complaints lodged against Lost Valley on various areas, cleanliness, rudeness of staff, difficulty in getting out of contract. Filing this complaint because of dissatisfaction with the organization. I will never ever ever recommend this resort to anyone. Wish we had never dealt with them. Resale of property will be a feat since we have been gone from St. Louis for over 40 years and still paying for something we don't see as fair - especially if maintenance is not good. What have we been paying for? If we can't visit Missouri for facilities and children not interested in visiting Missouri and wife is disabled, where is the value of that? Signed frustrated.

My husband and I wanted to join this really bad. I was so excited to finally be a member. (I love the indoor pool or did.) The first visit I was able to swim for like 10 minutes until I was ask to get out so they could clean the pool. It had a lot of people there. So we decided to take the kids to the sports area where we were rudely kick out by a bunch of other kids that had a major basket ball game going. Not to mention that they were using very vulgar language. I was thinking it was just a bad time but then the second time I was told I couldn't swim in the pool due to it being cleaned again. This place is over populated and you never can seem to get a spot. Keep your money and go else where.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lost Valley Lake Resort?

Trying to enjoy Lost Valley Lake is impossible. We have been a General Membership owner for 20 years. Our children loved going there when they were small. Now they are grown with families of their own and we cannot go there together unless they purchase their own membership during "in season" time. We can rent several RVs with approval but only during off season and only if Approved by the board. $500 per year maintenance fees buys nothing and family time is not encouraged at all! Why pay for what you can't use?

I have a owned a LVL resort membership for over 12 years. Worst investment I have ever made. It's so bad you can't even give it back to the resort. If you they try to talk you into purchasing, RUN, Run and don't look back.

On Feb. 21, 2014, my wife and I visited LVL for a 90 minute presentation and then were to receive vouchers for a free 7 night cruise and 2 airline tickets. We did receive them after the 90 minute presentation. Our agent, Kate, was very nice to us, although she showed us areas that we said we were not interested in. At the end, a strong seller pitch was given by her boss. We did not bite as my niece has a membership out there a few years ago and did not like it. This morning, 5 days after visiting LVL, I called about the vouchers to get cruise info. I received a recording which stated what was on the voucher. There was no person to talk to, only this recording. I got suspicious and called the Better Business Bureau in Florida, where the company, Cruise Advisor, is supposedly located. They had no such business, no address and the phone number was for a different travel agency than Cruise Advisor and they had an "F" (worst) rating.

I am glad I didn't send in my $300 to register this voucher and would never go back to LVL since they tried to scam me. Cruise Advisor is a fake company, so don't go to LVL if they offer you a free cruise or anything else other than cash, like Branson does. At least there, you get cash.

Lost Valley is a very fun place to be at and has a lot of pretty places. However they will sell you 110 lies to get you to buy in. Most of their administrative/sales staff is rude and doesn't work with you. They pressure you to get others to buy in. It is the worst investment that we have ever bought into. They told us that we could go Coast to Coast, but failed to tell us that you have to have a RV. The pool closes too early. They over charge you for a membership and then charge you to stay there on top of the $1000's that they charge for their membership.

They have VIP condos and trailers, but then when you try to bring guest to do the tours you’re told that they don't have them for June-August. Even though they called my referral and offered to let them stay a weekend during their peak time. The resort is over packed. Lost Valley is only about the SALE and not the already existing members. As far as the guest or associate guest... This resort is like the Employee staffing side on the movie Dirty Dancing... Not the actual Resort side. If Lost Valley offered to let me walk away today and just be out the money I've already paid, I would gladly accept their offer and never go back.

I pay 500.00 a year in ownership fees and my family and i go there on vacation once a year. when we try to reserve three trailers for four or five days they tell me that i can only reserve one trailer until two days ahead of time. i figure that since i am paying for my time and only use this once per year i should be able to at least reserve what i will need to accomadate my family.

As a child, my grandparents would take us to LVL Resort and those were memories I carry with me all through my life. My grandparents passed away last year and I felt it would be a nice memory to give my children as well. I purchased a Lost Valley Lake membership from a colleague, paid full price for it last year. The seller and I needed to go to the resort to transfer ownership. The staff that handled this had a jagged schedule that did not work with my work schedule. We had to make arrangements to meet with the staff at different times. The seller signed all ownership over and also delivered the revised deed to me at work.

A few days later, I met with the Sales office to sign appropriate paperwork regarding transfer of ownership. This process was to be simple although as soon as I arrived, I was approached by the manager (which just happened to be the lead salesman, I didn't know this at the time). I signed the transfer of ownership documents which indicated I paid in full and zero balance membership. The salesman discussed religion and that he was a man of faith, that was something I could relate to. I began to feel at ease that this was a simple process and I was all finished.

Next thing I know, he was telling me how beautiful I am and what a pretty smile. I didn't have a clue on where those comments were coming from but it made me feel uneasy. Then came the pushiness almost intimidating before I realized what hit me, the ownership was up to $5000.00, for a Great Escapes / Lost Valley Lake Advantage Membership. He showed me this beautiful binder with all full-colored pictures and said that I could take my boys all over the US for just the transportation to get there and he said that was a discount too.

It all happened so fast before I could react, there were hearts drawn all over this new contract and he instructed me to sign where the hearts were. This was totally uncomfortable and I just wanted to escape myself. Now I am getting harassing phone calls for just being a month late. When I explained that I had been on the website several times to pay online, it always says I owe a zero balance. When they called and I inquired about paying over the phone, I had to pay a $16.00 convenience fee. This membership doesn't discount vacations or save you any money.

I bought my ownership in full and all I am asking for is to just get what I bought. Not what was pushed upon me because I am a single mom. LVL will not agree to anything nor work this out which is a shame because of my fond memories. At the beginning of 2010 I had to pay $1200.00 and then every month I am paying $60 along with the annual membership dues of $500.00. I need some help with this and retrieving hopefully some of the unnecessary costs.

Lost Valley Lake Resort Company Profile