2. Travel
  3. Timeshares

Owensville, MO

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.50/5

Lost Valley Lake Resort Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lost Valley Lake Resort?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Lost Valley Lake Resort?

Original review: Feb. 15, 2017

Yearly dues were $109 a year when we bought in and was told at time of purchase they could gradually increase with the cost of living. They jumped up to almost $500 a year and here we are a month before it's time to pay up and we get notified they have doubled it to a grand. "Surprise!!" The owners have been jerked around so much and picked up on the tab for crap. They don't save back for so much that nothing is a surprise anymore... Scammers.

Original review: Feb. 13, 2017

I have been a member of Lost Valley Lake Resort sine the 90's. When we joined we paid several thousand for the membership (or as they call it a permanent ownership). However this ownership gives you NO rights except to pay them more money every year. I have lived in a subdivision for 25 years and our road fees have stayed the same and only one time did we have to vote a special assessment to pave the roads. Lost Valley's maintenance fees have gone up three fold since we joined. We started paying about $300 per year. Last year they were about $600 and this year it is now close to $1,000. They say it is for improvements but I was out at Lost Valley in Oct of 2016 and I have not seen any improvements. The Condo my daughter stayed in was old and run down. The indoor pool was so small it only allowed a small group to swim.

There was a charge for everything. We were going to go on the Halloween hayride and that was going to cost $5.00 per person. With the whole family that was going to cost $40. I think Lost Valley is a scam because you can't get out of it unless you pay an outlandish fee to Lost Valley. They don't care about people they just care about money. I was told that last year by a representative for Lost Valley. The representative told me a story of a person who lost their parents in a car accident and did not have the money to continue with the Lost Valley Membership. According to the representative he was told that was too bad that it was now his and they would take him to court to get the money. It is best to stay away from Lost Valley and find a safer less expensive way to enjoy camping.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2017

This is the worst ran place I ever did see. We paid 500.00 maintenance fees. Now this year it has double. What a scam. I can't afford that. I email them through Facebook to it and shove it. They can have it. I don't want it. Now I'm trying to get out of it.

Original review: Feb. 6, 2017

My parents bought a membership to LVL in 1998. They used it maybe 5 times. In the meantime the cost of ID cards went up, maintenance has gone up astronomically and the rules which they bought under are totally changed. They live on a fixed income and could no longer afford the yearly fees that went from $159 to $600 this year. They just want to give the membership back to the company but LVL wants them to pay over $6000 just to give it back. People do not realize that they are tied to this deal for life when they buy a membership. They certainly don't expect the dues to skyrocket to a point that they can't afford it. It is wrong.

Original review: Jan. 26, 2017

What is the common denominator with all these replies? Rude incompetent staff. In addition they are ripping off the owners after the sale. They have a board of directors who are also employees of LVL. Of course they vote in favor of what the owner tells them to vote for. Their job is on the line. The latest rip-off is increasing the annual dues for all members from $600 in 2016 to $1050 in 2017. What a scam. Their excuses are the pool is in need of repair and the water supply won't pass QC with the city. Them raising your dues is no guarantee it will be fixed. Based upon how they have operated in the past they will take the money and then leave the owners holding the bag, probably either closing down the park or turning the water over to Gasconade county or the city of Owensville and the owners will get stuck with a surcharge every time they camp.

As far as I'm concerned they can fill the pool in with dirt and turn it into a parking lot. I know it's a big thing to others but LVL knows that maintenance is due and if they aren't smart enough to allot for this kind of thing it shouldn't be taken out on the owners by doubling their dues. If you're an owner DO NOT pay this increase until you have it in writing what these scam artists intend to do to fix the drinking water and be careful of how LVL management words it. They are all compulsive liars. I feel sorry for some of the employees at LVL. Some are great people. However the girls at the front desk are rude and ignorant and don't have a clue how to treat the owners that make their pay day possible. I would not recommend a purchase at LVL to anyone. The management is incompetent. Just look at what kind of a mess they have created for the owners.

Original review: June 26, 2016

Remember that old rock and roll tune called Hotel California? You can check in but you can't check out. I bought a General membership back in the early 80s. We did use the place for camping but eventually me and my wife's jobs took up so much time we were not able to utilize the place. I attempted to sell my membership but found out there are clauses in your contract that make this difficult. The main one being that you can't sell to someone who has visited LVL in a two-year time frame. There are fees involved too. You can advertise your membership in the classified ads but LVL runs ads there too. I eventually sold my membership about 15 years ago. Sold it for a heckuva lot less than I paid for it. My buyer bought the membership wisely, far more wisely than I did. The salespeople will tell you that there is plenty of room in the Hotel California. Don't listen.

Original review: March 16, 2016

I've been to Lost Valley Lake Resort many times over the years since my childhood. And have many friends with memberships. I would recommend it to anyone with a love of nature in a safe, fun country setting. There are numerous activities for your entire family to partake in. The staff has always been kind and helpful when needed. Very welcoming resort!

Original review: Nov. 30, 2015

Do not get involved with this resort. Have had membership for over 30 years and it used to be great. Now it is overcrowded with permanent residents who live in RVs on the property. Most of the help is very rude. We decided to get rid of our membership and talked with their office about it. They would charge us thousands of dollars (about $5,000) to get rid of it. We decided to give it to a friend and had the title company transfer the deeded ownership ($105). Title company said we also had to contact Lost Valley to change membership. I called and got a very rude woman who said we have to pay $1600 to transfer membership.

Original review: March 11, 2015

2/4/2015 - reported I had not received yearly maintenance fee for 2015. Upon research I found the billing was sent twice (January and February) to wrong address so I reported this and requested a bill be sent to me immediately for payment to avoid a late fee. Was first threatened that I had to pay a late fee. Instead of providing good customer service (understanding the situation and waiving the late fee automatically), I had to demand no late fee and only after I called several people and reached a manager was that matter settled. Wanted to contact the manager via email and was given a wrong email so couldn't send to her. Have tried to reach her again by phone but no success. Rude staff members for such a large resort.

Second issue was that I had noticed no minorities in their newsletters/calendars. Was told they did have some and I replied had seen only one elderly black couple. I received no answer or concern about that issue. 3rd issue is regarding the maintenance fee charged to us every year. We have used the property only once since July 1990 because the one time we did go with the family, found mites in the room and some red bug on the toilet. Not clean and we did not go back. We cannot get out of this agreement now because we are now owners. Seems like there should not be a maintenance fee charged since we have not used any of the facilities since we moved from St. Louis to Georgia and now are in Alabama.

Have researched this resort and have been alarmed at the many complaints lodged against Lost Valley on various areas, cleanliness, rudeness of staff, difficulty in getting out of contract. Filing this complaint because of dissatisfaction with the organization. I will never ever ever recommend this resort to anyone. Wish we had never dealt with them. Resale of property will be a feat since we have been gone from St. Louis for over 40 years and still paying for something we don't see as fair - especially if maintenance is not good. What have we been paying for? If we can't visit Missouri for facilities and children not interested in visiting Missouri and wife is disabled, where is the value of that? Signed frustrated.

Original review: Jan. 28, 2015

My husband and I wanted to join this really bad. I was so excited to finally be a member. (I love the indoor pool or did.) The first visit I was able to swim for like 10 minutes until I was ask to get out so they could clean the pool. It had a lot of people there. So we decided to take the kids to the sports area where we were rudely kick out by a bunch of other kids that had a major basket ball game going. Not to mention that they were using very vulgar language. I was thinking it was just a bad time but then the second time I was told I couldn't swim in the pool due to it being cleaned again. This place is over populated and you never can seem to get a spot. Keep your money and go else where.

Lost Valley Lake Resort Company Information