2. Travel
  3. Travel Sites

Overall Satisfaction Rating 1.18/5

Airbnb Reviews

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Airbnb?
How do I know I can trust these reviews about Airbnb?

Original review: July 25, 2019

I am a host with several apartments and when I contact Airbnb support they told me that my case is not as important as others they deal with and hence they will contact with me later when they have the time. The disgusting customer support which makes you feel like the Airbnb does not care about its customers.

Original review: July 23, 2019

Please do not use Air B&B as they lie to hosts about the rules. If 1 guest lies about your place you're finished. They will not stand behind hosts. It is all about the guest. You will be sorry at the first problem guest when you find out that they only back the guest regarding reviews and money payout. STAY AWAY if you what's good for you speaking as a Host.

Original review: July 20, 2019

This was our first experience with Airbnb and the property not as advertised. It was advertised as entire home with backyard, hot tub, sun deck, bbq, and pet friendly. It was all shared space. Owner residence attached and backyard amenities shared. Pictures that indicate this information are not provided on listing. The Host showed lack of responsibility by not informing owner about our rental requirements made prior to reserving and showed no willingness to address our rental concerns. Owner planned a 4 hour event inviting guests and dogs in the shared backyard without regard to our presence. We were compelled to leave due to lack of respect for our reservation and requested private space.

Neither host or Airbnb assisted us in this debacle. We were given minimal refund and required to find a new location on our own. Spent an entire day without a place to stay for our family (several who flew to SD for this vacation), and our two dogs. Paid service fees twice. Lost our 7 day discount. Paid cleaning fees for a house with mildew and urine smell, along with body odor from unclean comforter and mattress cover in the main bedroom. Not only do advise staying clear of this listing, we do not recommend Airbnb due to lack of customer support.

Original review: July 19, 2019

Asked for Airbnb's help to resolve being declined by a Host. Emailed Airbnb and received no response. In general, I used to like Airbnb and had great experiences. I have never been declined when renting a hotel room or any vacation rental - the worse part is Airbnb did nothing.

Original review: July 19, 2019

I finally got my own vacation rental and was excited to put it up on Airbnb. What followed has been a month long exercise in patience and discovery. It takes days for your listing to show up; many of the features you need to use are somewhat hidden; changes you make don't "take" right away and sometimes not at all! Today, I logged on to see that my rental rate had been lowered for me... when I contacted them using the Owner platform, they responded in the Traveler platform... I have yet to find out what is happening with it. If I get a reservation, will I have to honor the fake price? Who will pay me the difference? Why is the price lower, anyway?

I also discovered that folks on the phone at Airbnb promulgate ideas that turn out to be myths. A new owner with a new listing does NOT get preferential placement on the first three pages of a search. Superhost status comes only quarterly, maybe, NOT after five five-star reviews. I was told both these ideas were facts by the phone center; the Help center disabused me of these ideas a week later. Sigh. What I DID get was a little button that said "NEW" on my cover photo for 30 days, starting the first day of the listing process... my house didn't actually show up until nine days AFTER I clicked "publish" and then it only came up intermittently. I gave my house a name but if I search for it, no results. SO fabulous.

My husband pointed out that Airbnb is like a real estate agent - they get paid when you sell your place, they don't really help you get more money for it. When I first listed my four-bed, two-bath house, the site suggested that I accommodate seven people for less than $200 a night, no extra-person charge. Come on. Can you really get a hotel room for $28 a night, let alone one with 800-thread count sheets, down pillows and a fully stocked kitchen on a gated acre of land near a national park? Really? I guess I need more information on their Theory of Pricing but it doesn't seem to work in my favor.

I feel somewhat trapped that Airbnb is the Name of the Game in this arena. I've used it as a traveler and it's been wonderful, but from the owner side, I'd like another alternative. I'm blessed to have and appreciate the chance to make money, but more so that I don't absolutely need the income to cover my expenses -- because it's taking a full month to get the wrinkles out of my listing.

Original review: July 17, 2019

I recently rented an apartment for 2 days on the 4th of July. When I got to the place it was filthy and misrepresented completely as for the number of beds. I took pictures and text back and forth with the owner, that I would not be staying there. After complaining and being cussed out by owner he did refund part of the money. Then Airbnb decided I should pay taxes on a product that wasn't received, and a handling fee. After many attempts, and now refusing they are not returning it. So refusing through my credit card to pay them. They sent me an email to close the case and I said no absolutely not and they did anyways. It cost me more to stay somewhere else last minute and ruined our experience with them. I have stayed in Airbnb in many places and countries, this will be my last. If my money is not returned I will seek an attorney, it's about right and wrong now.

Original review: July 17, 2019

Airbnb customer service has wasted so many hours and so much money that I can't recommend anyone use the platform. Many of their departments don't take phone calls, so if you have a complicated issue, you'll spend 30 minutes explaining it to minimum wage workers, who will ultimately just tell you to email a different department - even if it's something urgent, like someone using ** in your property! I strong advise you think twice about using Airbnb as your main listing platform - I wish I would've been more active on the other platforms sooner.

Original review: July 13, 2019

I am unsure if this Airbnb is the same one, but even if it is not I will never book another one ever unless they resolve their issue. My family has been planning a trip down to New Orleans for a year now and part of that was finding accommodations. We have a large group of people (25) coming on this trip and could not an Airbnb that would accommodate us. So we decided to speak to Michael who presented us with links of what we assumed were to places that would hold all of us.

We inquired about a villa that was close to the French Quarter and noticed it said 9 people. So we asked him if we could still have 25. He said “yes it is perfect” so once again we assumed that this would work for our group. Upon payment we once again noticed that it still said 9 instead of the 25 we discussed so once again we asked Michael why it didn’t say 25. He did not reply till 5 days before our reservation and now said, "You can only have 9...!"

We told Michael that is not what was discussed and never once did he try to fix it. Instead he said, "Here are some more places you can book for more money." We feel scammed and do not believe this host has our best interests at heart. When we called customer service they took his side over ours even though we have a paper trail of conversations that are clearly misleading us the customer. We are beyond frustrated! This is our very first family reunion as adults and aside from the hurricane trying to ruin it we now have Airbnb keeping us apart. I would give this company a zero if it was an option.

Original review: July 13, 2019

In 2016 I signed up for an Airbnb account and my husband and I booked our first travel. It went very smoothly. Since that time however something has changed. This year I planned a trip to Australia. Once again I hopped on Airbnb and booked the first leg of my trip. Just prior to leaving for Australia, a few months after I made the booking, I tried to log on to my Airbnb account for my check in details but my account was locked. The message said that the site did not recognized my device... Well I booked my travel from that desktop 3 months ago... not sure what has changed. I submitted a ticket and the next day they unlocked my account. Perhaps a fluke.

I arrived in Australia and tried to log on to my account. Again it did not recognize my device. It wanted to call me with a code. Well the number on file of course is my cell phone. But what does one do when one travels to another country? One gets a sim card from that country. So a phone code would not do. I asked my husband to log in from my desktop at home - the one I used for the original booking. No joy. It did not recognize that device any longer. I was now in a foreign country in need of a place to stay in a couple of days and no access to my account. Again I submitted a ticket. The next day they emailed me and said the account was unlocked... Well three tickets and a week later the account is still not unlocked. But here is the kicker - after my first booking I received an email from Airbnb asking me to review the place I booked earlier. That part of the site I could Access!

So... now I have to book a hotel for the next two legs of my journey because I can't access my account while I am travelling... Isn't that what this is for? What happened to global access?? I think they need a much better security system because this one is costing the hosts money. I am sure I am not the only person this has happened to. I will be less likely to book through Airbnb again. It has been too much hassle this trip. I need something I can depend on.

Original review: July 12, 2019

Just keep in mind that if something ever happen in your apartment from a host you're having, Airbnb will not protect you except if your apartment is destroyed. If something bad happen, they only ''protect'' if you have real bad damages, nothing else. And I think that coming from a company THAT rich, is it really giving a bad service for their clients. They should clearly update their insurance policy and protect the host much more.

Original review: July 12, 2019

Not sure why or how Airbnb is still a thing... It's almost 2am and I have been on the phone for over an hour trying to force a final confirmation for a vacation that I requested 2 weeks ago. I had gotten a confirmation 2 days after my original request, two days after that I got a call from the host apologizing for double booking and could I move my dates. I spend an hour on the computer changing all of my other reservations around and email my confirmation that I can change the dates. "Oh, so sorry... the other dates just booked online while you were moving your plans around, no problem, we can move you to another location. A better location for the same price, but we won't tell you that it will take Airbnb 2 weeks and multiple hours on the phone working this out."

Original review: July 11, 2019

Even though I have been a stellar customer for 3 years, I can't log in. I try to log in and they want to verify me under a phone number I don't have access to right now. I've had the same email for 3 years and there is no bloody option to verify me there. The only option they give is to shut down my account for several days while they get their act together. They won't let me contact the help desk until I log in, but they won't let me log in. Amateurish, creepy, poor customer service.

Resolution response: Oct. 20, 2019

To be fair, Airbb did go to bat for me. Although they advertise as an arbitrator for disputes such of these, their decision is not binding for the host. It appeared airbb took my side on the matter, but the host still refused to refund a penny. In my experience, an arbitrator decision is supposed to accepted by both parties, otherwise what's the point? Airbb ended up adding 100 dollars to my account, which I thought was great of them considering. So all said and done, beware of greedy host.

Original review: July 11, 2019

Made the reservation by mistake within the 7 day cancellation window. Checked, their policy said nothing about cancelling when the reservation in made in the 7 days before start. Host, Bob, refused to cancel and refund our money. Referred me to AirBnB to cancel. OK, except AirBnB was only refunding 75 dollars of the 550. But they did say to contact host for full refund. We did, and was refused again. Circle **. We were traveling so didnt have a chance to follow up until a couple of days later. Cancelled via AirBnB and received 75 dollars but was then advised we could get up to 400 dollars from the host. Request (again) again denied. Host are Summer and Bob. If you run across them, stay away. Far away. They lie by omission, which is hard to prove.

Original review: July 11, 2019

I have never used Airbnb (and never will attempt to ever again). I booked and paid for the studio 12D Illawong Ave, Tamarama NSW, Australia. The property is not advertised as pet friendly, but was told by the host I could bring my dog, so I booked for myself, my young daughter and dog. I drove from Canberra to Sydney and arrived late yesterday afternoon. I followed instructions given - keying in code I was sent to open lock box which contained keys. Despite spending about half an hour trying to open lock box, contact owner, clearing keypad and re-trying I could not get access to keys. My daughter, who has autism, was tired and hungry and becoming quite distressed. I had not heard back from owner and was concerned that we would have no accommodation for the night and I was too tired to drive back to Canberra. I rang the Hughenden Hotel and they moved some things around and were able to accommodate us.

I could not take a chance and wait for a reply or assistance from owner which may not have eventuated. Two hours later the owner rang me and said the building manager had gone around 15 min after I had left (how does he know this?) and the lock box worked. I expressed how upset I was about the whole situation. I sent a message, explaining what had happened and how distressing the whole situation was considering I was a single mother, who had recently resigned from a fulltime job to care for my daughter. I requested a refund.

The owner sent a message back not only refusing to refund my money, but accusing me of lying and making things up. I'm not sure what he is accusing me of lying about (my child's autism? not being able to open lock box with code I was given?....) but am totally disgusted and insulted by the accusation, especially under the circumstances - I paid for something I did not receive, have had to pay for alternative accommodation and the whole debacle greatly distressed my child.

Original review: July 8, 2019

This company is worthless. Unless you have the capacity to update a smartphone constantly you can't finish a profile because you have to use their stupid ** app. Customer service can be friendly but just puts through to the trust department which takes 48 hours to do anything. I have wasted hours trying to book a cottage in Tallahassee, FL. Never again. I wish this pos company went out of business.

Original review: July 8, 2019

The advertised price on Airbnb for the downtown 1 bedroom condo was $167 per night. When the receipt arrived, the cost had gone up to $236 per night. When I contacted my host to ask about the discrepancy in nightly fee, he stated that prices fluctuate with demand. I responded, "They fluctuate between the time I booked the price advertised and the time my Visa went through?" He responded, "Yes, but you're still getting a great price." Not the answer I was looking for. Because I was already in the condo, I just paid the bill. Upon closer scrutiny, I saw that tacked on to the nightly fee was a $183 cleaning fee for a condo that was not terribly clean (dirty shower curtain, ring around the tub, very dirty garbage can lid, holes in the wall, musty smell...), a $115 service fee and a $ 98 occupancy fee and taxes, $ 20/night parking. For a total of $ 388/night.

The bait and switch was very maddening and deceptive but I should have seen the red flags: upon receiving confirmation, there was a note from the host telling us to not tell anyone we were in an Airbnb because the city of Vancouver was clamping down on them. The sign on the elevator door read: "No short term rentals, No Airbnbs." We felt like we were breaking a municipal law and felt sheepish entering and leaving the building. The other red flag was that the "host" had 13 other listings. That is no longer home sharing, that is now a business. A terrible experience and will NOT use Airbnb again.

Original review: July 7, 2019

In the 2 years we have been hosts for Airbnb, they have been generally very difficult to deal with when there is an issue. They often don’t responds to help request messages as if they have even read what was written. Or possibly they understand English so poorly, that no accurate communication can be established. My most recent example, even after establishing after several attempts what my simple request was, they still refused to correct it. The issue this time was that Airbnb’s system blocks phone numbers and websites from anything a host or guest writes in a message or review (or most parts of an ad), and I wrote an innocent number like 8000, as a part of a measurement (8000 acre lake) and they blocked it out, Claiming it’s a phone number that they need to block (“phone number blocked”).

Their own content policy states that they can’t and won’t ever legally block “appropriate” content in reviews, yet this time they did, and they also refuse to correct the simple issue. In fact they won’t even explain to me why they are leaving I blocked, or even discuss the simple issue with me. I think they have improved somewhat on what used to be regular terrible treatment of hosts, according to my experience, and what I’ve read from other hosts In the Airbnb “community”, but this issue is to me an unacceptable violation of their own content policy. And would be so simple for them to correct if they had more respect for their hosts. They also seemed to have blocked me from posting about it in their own host community discussion area.

Original review: July 7, 2019

We rented a home in Harbor Springs MI. It was listed as a rustic school house. The pictures showed a very nice looking remodeled home. Upon arriving, we found that the property was run down and dirty, with rodent repellant in most drawers and holes rotted under the kitchen sink along with parts of the roof. The electrical wiring was not to code, and the place smelled like mold or mildew. We could only stay one night, and had to pay for another local condo. The host promised to pay 1 night plus %50 but has not sent payment yet after many excuses. Airbnb refuses to refund our money and has also made multiple excuses. We are out $743. STAY AWAY.

Original review: July 7, 2019

I've used Airbnb 2 times while visiting in Europe and it always has been cheaper than a hotel (not cheaper but a better deal), only in US Airbnb "deals" are more expensive than actual hotels, such as an RV in Seattle area for more money than a 3 star hotel, and that 3 star hotel was very decent - a small kitchenette, quiet area, I couldn't ask for anything more. I am currently looking for a vacation place in US this time or Canada, and for some reason posters on Airbnb think they should charge more than a hotel. Pffff. Ridiculous. A hotel in Iceland was $200 a night and paid $100 for a 3 bed place there through Airbnb. A hotel in Seattle is $50-$60 a night and Airbnb deals are 80+ for an in-law room. Don't think so. Ridiculous.

Original review: July 6, 2019

I don't know who reads the Facebook messages but I am so beyond frustrated with Airbnb and am ready to take this to court and to media. I've been trying to communicate many issues with your company since end of April about a host that harassed and became VERY inappropriate with me causing me to feel unsafe and leave his residence, when I originally asked for my refund, I was denied -- even when I explained why I had to leave. I finally got into a place, the one I am in now, and have been asking for your help to get that refund of $4000 + $2000 and use that to pay for my stay in my current Airbnb. BUT NOW you are threatening to kick me out of this residence if I don't pay $6000 even though I asked numerous times if you would be able to take the refund and put it towards this residence.

It's ridiculous and pathetic how little your company cares about guest safety, well being and how little communication happens between your companies workers and your company and guests. I am not impressed at all with any of the service I have gotten, the lies from your staff that they can help me, or that I can use my refund amount to pay for my stay in my current place when none of that is true. The situation I am in right now is due to your staff's lack of communication, humanity and understanding of situations. It is this company's responsibility to ensure that all users, hosts are met with respect and decency and not given any help in a situation that really should have taken a week to fix but now has taken two months and you haven't fixed but made worse and are putting it on me.

As a user of your service, I want to see this fixed and for me to be able to stay in this residence with your help since your staff clearly had no idea what they were ** talking about when I asked if my refund can be used towards this month's rent. I don't appreciate this at all, and like stated above.. I am highly considering court if I am asked to leave when I DID have the funds to pay this month's rent but they were not returned in the manner I had asked and I am sure media outlets around the globe will be AMAZED to hear the lack of professionalism, safety and care this company brings. Especially when a 27 year old female GUEST calls to complain that the MALE HOST put her safety at risk, made inappropriate advances. Sickening. Fix this.

Original review: July 6, 2019

Michael ** with New Orleans Airbnb. I'm one of the guest of your Airbnb and under Candance ** reservation. Also I'm the card holder for the reservations. I'm am perturbed, irritated, angry, disappointed, flabbergasted and perplexed. I feel we was lied to and your staff has been lying and covering for you. The pictures you have posted does NOT reflect the living quarters in which WE paid for. There are MAJOR issues that need to be address and rectified ASAP. As of today at 1130pm. WE still have NO AIR CONDITIONING after being here for 3 days. WE were told the air conditioning problem would be corrected by 11pm Wednesday night and the repair man was en route. We were told you/your company does NOT pay for services rendered.

The floor was NOT mopped. Your feet stuck to the floor and you can feel the dirt as you walked. WE requested bug spray because the mosquitoes attacked us when we came through the door. I had to purchase bug spray. The cocktail table and refrigerator was filthy and deplorable. I called and requested additional towels and still haven't received them. There needs to be better lighting in the walkways. Someone can fall and break a leg. It is not safe. Housekeeping/cleaning staff (Debbie) has NO clue what clean means. The rooms are dusty, furniture has deplorable stains, refrigerator was filthy, St Patrick's day hat was left on top of the wine cooler (it don't work). I/WE are NOT happy with your Airbnb. It is NOT well maintained. I'm speaking for our entire group.

Original review: July 5, 2019

Airbnb let an 18 year old rent my home. This kids proceeded to throw a party and trash our lovely home causing $15,000 in damages! He also stole property and vandalized the neighborhood with red spray paint. Airbnb had no intention of helping. They made us jump through hoops for weeks and they refused to speak with us by phone. We had a police report, over 100 photos, estimates from contractors and plenty of proof. Airbnb tried to deny most of the documents we submitted because they didn’t like the photo format. They refused to accept a Home Depot quote because it was sent to us by email. They created one road block after another for weeks, in an attempt to get us to give up. However, we pressed on and did everything they asked us to.

In the end, they agreed on the damage but they only offered us $2500, take it-or leave it. They provided no explanation as to how they came up with that number. Then they shut off communication with us entirely. Obviously the 1 million dollar host guarantee they advertise is a complete lie. What a scam! The numbers are obvious. There’s no way we can risk our home to Airbnb renters. If someone burned it down, they won’t pay!! So we had no choice but to pull our house off the platform in the peak rental season leaving dozens of future guests left without a home for their beach vacation. Do NOT trust Airbnb! They are a horrible, dishonest, criminal organization with the worst service you can possibly imagine. BEWARE!

Original review: July 5, 2019

Inadequate bedding provided. Disgusting smell/hazardous sewage smell coming from bathroom. Noisy apartment street noise kept us awake all night. Asked to provide evidence of experience. How can I document a bad smell? There was multiple reviews from other guests about the bathroom odor in apartment.

Original review: July 3, 2019

I would not recommend Airbnb... We booked and paid for a house a few months in advance and a week before our trip, it got canceled. The explanation was that their HOAs didn't allow short term rentals. I am an understanding person, but I feel that this should have been reviewed and approved prior to them being approved to rent it out on Airbnb.

Given our larger party size, travel location, price and travel dates, we were left with very limited options. With really no options, we ended up paying over $400 more to rent a place 40 min further out. If I had canceled the reservation on such short notice, we would have only received 10% of what we paid, but I guess it is okay for the host to cancel. Needless to say, I cannot recommend Airbnb.

Original review: July 2, 2019

I rented a house and the next morning owner cancelled and said that it had already been booked and Airbnb still had it up for rental. They took my money anyway and then tell me it could take 15 days for it to be credited back to my account. The owner of house said her Airbnb account had been hacked by someone in Hong Kong, so I am now afraid to put any of my information down to rent anything through airbnb.

Original review: June 30, 2019

We booked an Airbnb house for 6 weeks. From day one we noticed ants, roaches, and wasps building multiple nests at the entrance to the house. The hostess sent a handyman to spray twice, and an exterminator to spot spray twice. The pest problem persisted. After two weeks we requested a comprehensive treatment. The hostess agreed. That very night she told us that if we left immediately and did not leave feedback, she would not charge the second payment. Airbnb did not help us find another house, nor demanded remedy from the hostess.

Original review: June 30, 2019

I've heard hosts are disgruntled with Airbnb because Airbnb doesn't keep up with their guarantees and insurance when a guest creates damages. They also allow bs reviews to get to stay in places for free. As a host I see this. As a guest, I have experienced a decline in the standards of the places I have stayed in. In fact, I had one host tell me that they could not fix the problem because Airbnb refused to help in covering the cost of damages. She explained the damages. In cross referencing the pictures of the property, you can see the significant damages. I will not be continuing to use Airbnb for this reason. I will no longer be hosting, nor renting through them. The space you get for renting someone's home is not worth sacrificing the standards. Some people are just not that clean and properties are just not that secure.

Original review: June 29, 2019

I contacted Airbnb support to help get a refund from a host who lied about the listing. He assured me in writing before the booking that there is no noise in the neighborhood. When I contacted him at 7 am about terrible construction noise, his response was "you are supposed to be awake at this time". When I said I want a refund and will complain to Airbnb, he wrote that we need to vacate the property immediately and that he is coming to make sure we left. Obviously, I contacted the company, which took 3 weeks and numerous emails and calls from different agents, who said that the presence of noise and the exact hours need to be clearly communicated by the host and promised to help with the refund.

Another week went by and I received an email from Airbnb that the host refused to refund me (which was kinda obvious) and there is nothing they can do. Since the company cannot protect renters from abusive hosts, and would not help with refunds (my guess would be because that may reduce their share), I certainly do not recommend anyone to use it and will never use them again.

Original review: June 29, 2019

I recently had a guest cancel my reservation 3 days prior to my reservation due to "electrical issues". I called Airbnb to confirm that I would not be charged for the reservation. Despite the fact that the representative was able to view the hosts' message cancelling the room, the representative could not guarantee me that I would not be charged for the room since the host did not cancel the reservation in the system. Despite this, she wanted to transfer me to someone else to help me rebook. This seemed quite absurd to me - why would I re-book a room when I still had the potential to be charged for the original room. I asked to speak to a supervisor. In a nutshell the supervisor confirmed everything the first representative said and also wanted to transfer me to someone to help re-book.

I later spoke to a customer service manager who triple confirmed this policy. He also informed to me that hosts don't like to cancel the reservations because they can be charged up to a $100 cancellation fee. In other words, Airbnb profited from my misfortune. I had to find another room at a higher price on short notice and Airbnb collects a cancellation fee from the host. Eventually the host did cancel the reservation in the system so I was not double charged, but the fact that could see a written message from my host cancelling my reservation yet not confirm they wouldn't charge me even if I re-booked was and remains unacceptable. They could have made an effort to contact the host, but that didn't happen either. I wasted a lot of time during my vacation trying to rectify what should have been a very simple issue.

Original review: June 22, 2019

I recently used Airbnb to stay with a host in London. The apartment as advertised by the host on the Airbnb site showed a living room much bigger than what it turned out to be when I checked in. When I messaged the host , he removed the pictures from the site and stopped responding to my messages. When I complained to Airbnb they too tried to get in touch with the host with no response. Airbnb refused to compensate me for misleading advertising saying I should have taken pictures. That's a fair comment that I should have taken pictures which I missed doing. But the very fact that the host is not responding to messages left by Airbnb and has removed the pictures from the site should be evidence of guilt right? Apparently not as per Airbnb resolution center.

Airbnb Company Information