1.33/5

147 American Mint Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 29, 2019

It is my fault! I did not closely read the offer in which the first knife was offered for $19.99 AND THEN THE SECOND KNIFE WOULD BE SHIPPED TO ME FOR MY REVIEW FOR WHICH I WOULD PAY $99.99. Other than the inscription, the knives are identical. This is so close to baiting. There can be no other words for it! If I were to ever again buy from these folks it would be via the telephone in which I carefully ask the exact total cost when the transaction is completed. So beware when you purchase from American Mint.

Original review: June 28, 2019

Terrible experience. I made a purchase of the trade currency for $ 59.95 which with the shipping and customs costs became € 103. Finally I get a Silver Eagle instead of Apollo 11. I do the return procedure with the request for the correct object. I spend another € 32 insured shipping as per the Mint instructions. The object returns to the United States. In the end, after many emails and chats, I receive a $ 59.95 reimbursement without receiving the ordered item and having spent a good € 80.6 to make a trip to the Atlantic to a stupid silver coin. I strongly advise against any type of online purchase. Available for viewing the proofs of what is described here.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: May 26, 2019

I sent them a check for $19.95 for the Meghan engagement ring; I knew I'd receive another ring in a series. The check didn't clear for a while so for the first time I looked up American Mint reviews. I was horrified by all the negative reviews, and put a stop payment on that check -- which cost me $30. I resolved if I received anything from them, that I'd simply mark "Refused Delivery" on it and send it back. However, yesterday I had forgotten all about this, and received an envelope, which I opened. It was the Meghan ring AND a Princess Diana/Kate ring -- and surprise, surprise, I am very happy with them. In fact, I LOVE THEM! I am going to send them a check for $79 plus the $19.95, and after that will cancel anything more as I really can't afford it. If they send me more merchandise, I will simply refuse delivery on it.

Original review: May 23, 2019

American Mint should forward/mail the coins to us only if they received the total/full payment from the customer. And all money paid on day 1 should be final. I learned this from honest Amazon on-line sale. If American Mint amortized the bill, they should clearly stayed, in same size word/print, on the order sheet. American Mint mailed different bills to me month after month: $89.90, $94.85, $ 86.90, … endless. They claimed it’s written on small prints. American Mint is not honest. They are cheating. They use fine lines to cheat us. It is wrong. The 2nd bill they send to us can be 20 times as much ($4.95 went up to $89.90 = 18 times !!). I'm writing the attorney general about them and I'm going to do my best to have them shut down. This company is a total scam trying to take your money. Don't do business with them and they will dry up and go away.

Original review: April 19, 2019

I ordered a Donald Trump commemorative pocket knife Feb 25 2019. It was delivered April 6 2019. Just yesterday April 18 2019, I received, via USPS, another delivery from American Mint. Not knowing what to make of that, I opened the parcel to investigate. That was very stupid of me. There was yet another knife inside with a billing statement of $69.95. I did not order this second knife. I have called every telephone number available, went to their email, and got no answer, or a recording, saying, "Heavy calling, leave a message", only to get cut off while trying to leave a message. I will pay the postage to return the item, because, I did open it. However, based on other reviews, I strongly doubt that American Mint will leave me alone.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Mint?

Original review: March 6, 2019

I purchased a couple of coins from this company previously and received what I requested without problem. I read reviews that suggested some deceptive practices and have not ordered anything else from them. Over a month later, I receive two coins that I never ordered with a bill for $186.00 and a lot of junk solicitation for more coins. So, it is true that this company has inappropriate business practices and I would not recommend buying anything from them. It's best if you never provide them with your address or billing information. I'm hoping they pay for mailing this package back but it remains to be seen how that turns out.

Original review: Feb. 12, 2019

I found this racket online, as they had a tribute coin that imagined what the $1 Trillion platinum coin would look like if it was used during Quantitative Easing (amusing). Ordering from them is quite deceptive. You click on a coin and you might think you're on a typical shopping cart used at a commercial website, but there is actually a tab to a "full priced" version of the coin. The default if you're looking carefully is for a sale price that includes a "free preview". The coins arrived as expected with a LOT of junk inserts. You might not even know, until a week or so, that you're signed up to what is similar to "coins on approval".

Now I've had and actually enjoyed getting coins on approval, typically the coins aren't uncirculated (so having the coins to look in person for condition is a priority) and you get a lot of coins rather than just one overpriced coin. Not only that all their coins are phony tribute coins. Seeing their merchandise in person does not enhance the buying experience any more than seeing it in a catalog. Simply put the "free preview" is a trick they employ to trap the unsuspecting into buying coins they don't want. It is solely to line their pockets. And this is why their operation should be considered illegal. (I'm sure they).

I give them 2 stars because they did deliver my coins, and they look decent (though they have no numismatic value, I knew this at purchase, though you may not). They also haven't sent any more coins after I returned the unwanted coin. I returned coins with insurance and tracking, and if you're going to foolishly deal with them, I would as well. I also mention this same company was fined in 2005 for doing exactly what they do now. Be careful dealing with them! Use a check or PayPal, do not give them your credit card number! Return coins and cancel in writing with tracking, and save your tracking number in case you must deal with them!

Original review: Feb. 8, 2019

Like all the other reviewers, I have been continually receiving mail with advertisements and invoices for things I haven't ordered. This is harassment, and I want it to stop. I have contacted the BBB and will contact the attorney general if they don't stop. They should be put out of business.

Original review: Jan. 29, 2019

Bought one coin from them for under $5. Received the coin. Then, to my surprise started to receive bills for $80, just like all other reviews here. Didn't order anything else, didn't receive anything else, just bills for $80 and harassing emails. I just ignore it - luckily the envelopes are clearly marked. But why is this so called company is allowed to continue. Surely what they doing is illegal.

Original review: Oct. 8, 2018

I ordered a coins from you in May and included a check for $4.95 for it. You tried to screw me. Ordered one coin, paid for it, got letter saying I owe 79.95. Did not receive any merchandise. Not even one I paid for. Talk to rep... I didn't receive any info about the purchase. I disputed the $79.95 charge and they sent the $4.95 receipt as proof. Walmart Mastercard accepted that and denied my dispute. So I canceled the card. Next I got another invoice for $86.90 for another coin they supposed sent me. I called them and went through my issues. (they finally answered the phone which they had not done before.) They could not provide a picture of any of the coins they had sent me and told me I needed to go to their website where they have 291 coins. None of which I recognized. Can't trust American Mint. Please no more flyers from this company.

Original review: Aug. 22, 2018

Don't ever order anything from this place because if you do, they automatically start sending you coins each month and want you to pay for all of it. I'm writing the attorney general about them and I'm going to do my best to have them shut down. This company is a total scam trying to take your money. Don't do business with them and they will dry up and go away.

Original review: Aug. 19, 2018

Back on June 17, 2018, I sent a check to American Mint in the amount of $14.90 for a Buffalo Bill Bowie Knife. A short time later I received a package containing the knife (sic) I ordered. By the way which was not a "Bowie" knife but a cheap hunting knife imitation. Also in the box was a "Doc Holiday" Bowie knife which I did not order and also was not a "Bowie" knife. There was also an invoice for $89.90 for the unwanted second knife. On July 7, 2018, I sent an email to American Mint explaining I did not order this second knife and requested a return prepaid postage sticker so I could return the unwanted knife. I also stated I would not be paying for this unwanted item period. American Mint was totally unresponsive to my email correspondence.

Today I received another invoice for the knife I never ordered. I sent back their invoice and referred them to my original email which I again attached along with a cover letter stating I wanted the return postage sticker. Now let's see where this goes! I refuse to pay postage for an item I didn't order. These people are crooks trying to take advantage of a senior citizen! Also, in Delaware the law states you are not obligated to pay for anything you did not order. So, unless I get the prepaid return postage sticker, I'll just consider the second knife a "GIFT"!

Original review: Aug. 11, 2018

I ordered a lot of coins from you until last year. You tried to screw me. Ordered one coin, paid for it, got letter saying I owe 77.00$. Did not receive any merchandise. Not even one I paid for. Talk to rep. They said I have to return a form they sent. I didn't receive any info about the purchase. Sent form back. Still nothing. I have proof on my bank account. I paid for one coin did not receive anything. Contacting BBB. See what they can do. Very disappointed in Indiana. Cant trust American Mint anymore. Please no more flyers from this company.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2018

Never ordered this item and made contact with American Mint to have it returned. While on the telephone with one of their staff they asked me to open the delivery box and check the contents, this I did and informed them of the contents. The person I was speaking with asked if the coins were in the box. I noticed that there were no coin items in the box and with a friend being witness to my actions I asked them what to do with the wooden box included with the items of paperwork.

They questioned me about the coins not being in the box and informed me it was almost impossible for them to not place the coins in the delivery container. Requested that they send me some document to return the items I had and to report that no other items were in the delivery box (coins). I was informed that the return documents would be sent and a lost item document. Today, 8/4/2018 I received another request to make a payment of $140.40 for the coins that I had not ordered and this was after a prior conversation in May, 2018 for the first attempt by American Mint to collect for items that I had never ordered nor received. (No coins.) $138.90 was on the first billing and now there is a late fee. Will be in contact with American Mint on Monday, 8/6/2108 to work on clearing this attempt to steal my money.

Updated on 08/08/2018: Adding information on follow-up for the 8/5/2018 posting on our American Mint difficulty. Made telephone contact with American Mint on Tuesday, 8/7/2018 - call was made at 12:07 P. M. Pacific Time. Spoke to #** about the past request to remove us from any future billings on the statement received 8/5/2018 in the amount of $140.40, this included a late fee or $3.50. Once again it was explained that NO coins were in the shipping container and that I had a witness when the wooden box was opened it had no coins. Informed #** on our first call and talking to #** I was asked that the box be opened to check the contents. Also, no coins in the delivery package as we had explain to the person we spoke to on our first call to American Mint.

After a short time - about 10 minutes, #** placed me on hold and returned with the following information, "You will receive a letter from American Mint in about 7-10 day showing the balance due on the billing in the amount of $140.40 would be removed and a balance of zero (0) dollars would be shown", after my acknowledgement that this would happen our call ended. Will update once the letter is received or if the letter is not received.

Original review: June 15, 2018

I was sold a Bill of Goods on false pretense (or advertising). If you scratch 3 items and match you can get a coin for sh $6.95. I fell for it. It ended up costing me my bank account $60 in NFS, $13.57 in return postage of coins (3) coins, and $4.50 for mailers for which I can substantiate. They took the scheme from Book of the Month Club. Fine print, false advertising, poor business practice and sock it to you. Stay the hell away from this SCAM.

Original review: May 27, 2018

They were offering a special of Kennedy half dollars issued during the 1960's, that are worth far more than the amount of the original coin. I received four coins every few months and paid the amount due. However, all of the coins I received were from the 1970's, and none of the more valued coins, when the offer suddenly stopped. This certainly appears to be an "old bait and switch," scam. And I also received a scratch off ticket telling me I won a gold eagle coin absolutely free, except for shipping and handling. I paid the shipping and handling and received two coins in return-and a bill of $89 for the second coin!

Original review: May 1, 2018

I believe I'm being scammed by this company. As far as I've been able to determine I have never ordered anything from this company. I am being billed by them for $ 89.95+ late fees for 2 coins. After the first billing, I searched my small collection twice and do not have these coins. I sent them a letter requesting a copy of the order I signed, and the receipt of the coins. I got no response to these requests. About 6 weeks later I received another bill, then another after 2 weeks. My response now is this review. I will write them another reiterating my initial response. I don't know what else to do.

Original review: April 19, 2018

I spent well over $600 for selected coins. Then I started receiving billings for coins that I had NOT received. I called them after receiving "late notices" to discover that "several" coins that I had returned was not credited back to my account. I, therefore, returned all but one coin because I was finished dealing with "false" invoices or at least with invoices that failed to match my records. I received all my return items back with a letter stating they were NOT returnable after having received them for 30 days.

I resent the coins 3 different times with letters that I was fully dissatisfied with the American Mint company and to apply the returned items against the "FAKE" balance. I told them to KEEP any "plus" balance and NOT to refund me. They, again, returned the coins with an enclosed letter stating that I was in possession of the returned items over 30 days. They failed to get the picture... I returned everything, unused, because I was making a statement that the American Mint team was NOT to be trusted and I was washing my hands with them by returning all but one item which would have cleared my balances of both the current billing plus a surplus of what I previously paid for. Just to get them out of my hair.

Original review: March 12, 2018

I ordered 2 Trump "Presidential Dollar Trials" coins and 2 "Speeches of Donald Trump coins". They look beautiful. But weighing them individually I found they were light. In total they're 16.86 grams light. The presidential dollar trial coins are said to have weighed 54 grams each. One coin weighed 51.59 grams, the other coin weighed 51.56 grams which totaled to being 4.85 grams short of their certificate of authenticity. The Speeches of Donald Trump coins claim they weigh 32 grams each on the certificates of authenticity.

One weighed 26.28 grams and the other weighed 25.71 grams totaling a 12.01 grams loss. I believe consumers should get what they paid for, and in this instance, I feel swindled out of 16.86 grams of gold or other material used in the production of these coins. Whose pocket did that material go in? Whether it's an employee of American Mint or the whole company is in on it and aware I'm not certain. I just know it isn't mine. I have emailed this company and await a reply. I will take legal action if I'm not compensated for the shortage.

Original review: Feb. 10, 2018

I responded to an offer in the mail on 1/26/18 to get a 1933 Replica Double Eagle coin for the cost of shipping in the amount of $6.95 for which I sent my check #**. As of 2/10/18 I have not received it. Also, on the order I did not supply a credit card number and specifically noted that I did not want to review any other coins, or receive any other offers to review any other coins. After reading numerous reviews complaining about the unethical operations, and sending other coins not ordered by customers, and customer payments being received but not acknowledged, and continued billing for coins already paid for, it appears that American Mint is just another of the many scams being operated in the US. It concerns me that so many scams are being operated in this country with so little being done to stop them. I want the 1933 replica coin I paid the $6.95 shipping for, no other offers or reviews, and no other offers from American Mint.

Original review: Jan. 24, 2018

I like the rest scratch off sent in the 4.95. They sent me about 6 different coins that I didn’t order. Just the one so I sent the others back and they says I never sent them back. Now I have to pay one hundred and something. Is there anything a person can do about that?

Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

This crooked outfit has harassed me and continues to do so up to today. All the coins that I received without soliciting some were returned to them. The mistake on my return was not sending it back registered. The last letter from these crooks dated 1/04/2018 states this is their last and it now will be turned over to National Recovery Agency for collection. These people are CROOKS. There are others that got taken in by this outfit and are being harassed for a payment that they don't owe. This company should be sued and shut down for consumer fraud. They keep adding late fees to my claimed balance owed and none of this will be paid. These people that are the registered owners should be prosecuted.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

My elderly mother took advantage of American Mint's offer to get one of their coins for a very low price --- shipping only. She loved the coin and got another one in the same manner. American Mint said they sent additional coins and that she needed to pay for them... But she did not receive them. She's called on a couple of occasions to try resolve this misunderstanding, but without successful resolution. They're now billing her every so often and threatening to send a collection agency, which scares her! This is such a racket, taking advantage of the elderly especially! They need to be shut down and prosecuted. No doubt they've received payments from unknowing customers who sent the money on good faith -- even though that was not part of their transaction. Stay away from them! Need to contact BBB and AG. I don't see an order #. I see a customer #, an account #, and an invoice # on the invoice.

Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

Original ad offers Donald Trump coin for $19.95, a $79.95 value. Paid for & received the 2-coins. Received a bill requesting payment of $79.95. I wrote back & reminded them of their ad & requested they remove me from any mailing list. Just received another bill asking for $79.95 & a late fee if not paid. I originally paid American Mint the $19.95 that was owed for the Donald Trump coins & did not asked to be signed up for any additional coins or to join any club. As far as I'm concerned, my obligation is complete, & will never order anything from American Mint again!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

OK. So after the debacle with trying to pay for my Trump coin(s) (another rip off with their cryptic language), I receive a notice that I owed X dollars. So I pay the bill...or so I thought! 6-8 weeks later, I get another mail saying I owe the balance AND a past due amount! I negotiate the past due amount down to ZERO and pay the bill...or so I thought! 6-8 weeks later guess what. Another letter! Balance due again! I'm asking these people (sometimes very hard to understand their broken English) why they refuse to pay my bill! They tell me each time that they didn't run my CC and pay my bill. I ask them the obvious question like...WTF not? They don't know. "So please give it to us again and we'll pay it for sure."

Which brings me to today. I'm so upset that I actually created a user to get on this site and complain. I got ANOTHER letter today and they are referring me to their collection agency! I have great credit and it jacks up my credit score. So what do I do now? I'll call these knuckleheads again and let's see what happens...but I kinda know the outcome already. I'll never buy anything from this company again and I'm researching all of my legal options to get this straightened out.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I was enticed to purchase several coins when they were offered at less than a 10 dollar price, including a Trump commemorative coin and a replica 20 dollar gold coin. Both orders included unordered coins one of which was returned. This started a long list of letters requesting payment of over $50 and threatening me with a collection agency. This is after I had also ordered and paid for a knife that was never received. This outfit should be targeted for utmost care in using. Save all documents that they provide so that you will know precisely what you signed up for. Buyer beware!!!

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I ordered a free 1933 Gold Double Eagle replica and free vial of gold flakes for $6.95 S&H on 9/16/2017. On the form, I indicated I did NOT want to enroll in any future items. On 10/12/2017, I received a package with the ordered 1933 gold double eagle and the flakes. I also received an unsolicited 1833 Liberty Head archive replica and a bill for $89.95. I feel like a moron for not checking here before I placed the order. I guess, I believed American Mint was as reputable as The Bradford Mint. So wrong I am. I will be contacting customer service for a return label. Somehow I don't think it will show; but then I might get lucky like someone else and have them give it free as I did not use a CC# and I have a xerox of my order showing no extra stuff. Will let you all know... perhaps a class action suit is in order.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I ordered a coin that I saw in a flyer which came in the mail. With the initial $7 coin I ordered, came another coin that they wanted to charge me nearly $100 for. I sent it back, and ever since then I have been INUNDATED with billing that claims I owe them money that I don't owe them!! The last letter I received was the final straw, so I called this morning, only to get a message that said "Please wait for the next available operator." So I waited, for ten long minutes... Only to receive yet another automated message that said "We are currently closed, please call during business hours." I was more than irate. I would recommend that anyone stay far far from ordering from this place - they have no clue how to operate, do business, or know the first thing about customer service!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

This company has held onto $99.95 from my bank account despite having received the returned merchandise (with their return label attached). I've made 3 attempts to resolve this and have been told (on 2 occasions) that the credit was issued, and perhaps my bank made an error. Not the case. Today I find that they now assert that it can take them 4 to 6 WEEKS to process a return. When I demanded to talk to a supervisor they tell me that even that courtesy can take 24 to 48 hours. Their error has cost me $60 in bank charges to date. Then (of all things) I see another charge for $59.99 against my account for merchandise that they "ship on approval"; which I haven't even received. I am normally quite good at handling my business affairs but this one has me stalled... (for now). I guess the FTC and the AG in both states are next contacts.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

I have sent back the coins which were sent months ago. I did not order these coins and I know they're fakes. somehow I continue to receive notices even though I sent everything back with a note, called them and they deny getting my package. I would like to know how to expose them and stop them from sending any notices.

American Mint Company Information