1.37/5
Based on 82 reviews that contain star ratings
Show rating distribution

American Mint

FIND OTHER COMPANIES
Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Oct. 12, 2017

121 American Mint Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:
Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I ordered a free 1933 Gold Double Eagle replica and free vial of gold flakes for $6.95 S&H on 9/16/2017. On the form, I indicated I did NOT want to enroll in any future items. On 10/12/2017, I received a package with the ordered 1933 gold double eagle and the flakes. I also received an unsolicited 1833 Liberty Head archive replica and a bill for $89.95. I feel like a moron for not checking here before I placed the order. I guess, I believed American Mint was as reputable as The Bradford Mint. So wrong I am. I will be contacting customer service for a return label. Somehow I don't think it will show; but then I might get lucky like someone else and have them give it free as I did not use a CC# and I have a xerox of my order showing no extra stuff. Will let you all know... perhaps a class action suit is in order.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I ordered a coin that I saw in a flyer which came in the mail. With the initial $7 coin I ordered, came another coin that they wanted to charge me nearly $100 for. I sent it back, and ever since then I have been INUNDATED with billing that claims I owe them money that I don't owe them!! The last letter I received was the final straw, so I called this morning, only to get a message that said "Please wait for the next available operator." So I waited, for ten long minutes... Only to receive yet another automated message that said "We are currently closed, please call during business hours." I was more than irate. I would recommend that anyone stay far far from ordering from this place - they have no clue how to operate, do business, or know the first thing about customer service!

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
    Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

This company has held onto $99.95 from my bank account despite having received the returned merchandise (with their return label attached). I've made 3 attempts to resolve this and have been told (on 2 occasions) that the credit was issued, and perhaps my bank made an error. Not the case. Today I find that they now assert that it can take them 4 to 6 WEEKS to process a return. When I demanded to talk to a supervisor they tell me that even that courtesy can take 24 to 48 hours. Their error has cost me $60 in bank charges to date. Then (of all things) I see another charge for $59.99 against my account for merchandise that they "ship on approval"; which I haven't even received. I am normally quite good at handling my business affairs but this one has me stalled... (for now). I guess the FTC and the AG in both states are next contacts.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

I have sent back the coins which were sent months ago. I did not order these coins and I know they're fakes. somehow I continue to receive notices even though I sent everything back with a note, called them and they deny getting my package. I would like to know how to expose them and stop them from sending any notices.

Original review: July 25, 2017

I have currently received THREE past due notices from this company... AFTER I contacted them to cancel my subscriptions. The bills they say are unpaid. I have records of paying one bill with a credit card, and the second with a check (which was deposited by American Mint). I went to their website, but cannot access my "account". I sent an email to their "customer care" department (via a link on their website), but never received a response... and received another "past due" notice.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Mint?

Original review: July 15, 2017

American Mint sent a 'winning ticket' for a free coin. So I paid the shipping and handling of $6.95 and thought I got a good deal. I got the coin but they also billed me the full price of $79.95, late fees of $10.50 and threats to send it to a collection agency. See attached invoice and original sales ad. It's sad that this company's name has American in it! Greedy slim balls.

Original review: June 30, 2017

I never could imagine that such a dirty business is possible so long time on so high level of spread! They target elderly people to sell them expensive coins for cheap. Then, they send you invoices to pay full price for one and all other coins you didn't order. I, believing them, sent them 12 orders $4.50 - 11.90 based on the "vouchers", "credits", "discounts" etc. offered. And now I received lots of invoices on hundreds of $! Is it not criminal activity business!

Original review: June 24, 2017

I received a spam snail-mail packet from these people touting their "collector" coins. After review of their screed containing a "jackpot scratch-off" card that said if I uncovered three jackpots, I would "win" a "valuable" proof coin. I decided the whole thing was a "too-good-to-be-true" scam. I dumped the whole packet of their trash back into their Post Paid envelope and dropped it into the postal stream. Next month I received from them a "replica" stamping of a coin, a vial of "free gold flakes", and a fake "replica" of a double-eagle coin and a bill for $89.95 plus $6.95 shipping. Mind you, their come-on clearly states that no orders will be filled unless shipping is paid in advance. 1) I did not make an order for their junk. 2) I did NOT send them shipping fees. They assigned me an account number (**) and are trying to collect money from me.

Federal postal regulations state that Items not ordered need not be paid for - It's just the LAW! I contacted their billing dept. and told them that if they wanted their junk back, they should send me a paid shipping label. About a month later, a label arrived and I put their junk back in its package and sent it BACK to them. They bounced it back and sent another bill (separately) for the total of the previous bill plus a late fee. Yeesh! I packed up their stuff in another shipping package, insured it and with return receipt required. This month I got another bill but for just the $6.95, PLUS another late fee of $10.50 and a threat of collection action. My next stop will be my lawyer's office where I will request him to begin filing fraud proceedings against them with the state. This cannot go unanswered!! They are thieves and must be stopped!!

Original review: April 29, 2017

I received a letter from American Mint dated 01/25/2017 attached with a credit statement showing $50.00 credit with an offer to redeem it by 02/18/17. I fell for this bait and ordered the Special 10th Anniversary Edition Bald Eagle Pocket Knife at a cost of $9.95 plus shipping of $4.95. This amount was paid by a check that was cashed on the 2/24/17 at my bank. Now, to my surprise I received a reminder asking to pay $59.95 and a threat of incurring additional late fee if I don't pay now. I fail to understand what kind of rip off business is this?

I am not satisfied with this purchase, as these are Chinese made fake pocket knife that was offered with a bait price of $9.95 plus shipping at a total offer price of $14.90. I have researched on this company and numerous consumers have complained about their unethical and deceitful business deals, cheating unsuspecting consumers with this kind of bait offer and billing again for the same product that was already paid for per their initial offer. Please see how Consumer Affairs can deal with this company and solve this issue. Thanks for your help.

Original review: April 25, 2017

This company target older people and keep sending coins and sending bills. Exploiting older and innocent people. They use address as P.O BOX 10 Mechanicsburg, PA 17055. Obviously, not a legitimate business at all. This company is committing criminal activities, should be indicted. Do not fall for this company.

Original review: April 11, 2017

Like everyone else I thought it would be nice to add to my coin collection. Well I sent their "EXTRA" coin back and within 2 days they received it (always use tracking)…and 3 weeks later my account get charged $89.95. I definitely wrote on the invoice…DO NOT SEND ANY MORE coins. To which of course they say... "well they've already been shipped." So here’s my advice-cancel your bank account so they can't take out anymore $. I am getting a different debit card and I'll never fall for this again.

Original review: March 24, 2017

I had one transition w/ American Mint & they continue to charge me monthly. I disputed this problem w/ my bank and I won. I also saw that there is a class action lawsuit against these scammers. Do not deal with these dirtbags.

Original review: March 13, 2017

This company makes literal use of credit (don't mistake for credits given by other companies) to lure the recipient of the mail. They will send you an invoice for 4.99 with credit of 70.99 for a coin or something. The person will think that he is paying 4.99 for the stuff promised in the mail. But actually what is agreed upon is to pay back 70.99 after receiving the stuff. That means according to them you are given an option of paying the credit amount later. It is like giving a loan of 70.99 to be paid back. Very misleading.

Also they send you some other stuff with it so that you would open the package to receive what you ordered and hence are committed to the other stuff also. Best advice is do not open any mail from American Mint and even if you open do not send any amount like 4.95 or 9.70 thinking that you got a bargain. It is a bait to make you pay a lot of money for a stuff you do not need or want. It could be worthless also for you. Warning is that you are protecting yourself by not opening any mail from American Mint.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2016

They are hustlers, slow to respond and their business model is seriously flawed and deceptive, luring you in with complicated offers of credit notes and special award vouchers, requiring you to learn a whole new vocabulary just to understand their terminology and what it is they're talking about, and bombarding you with information overload of endless advertisements, marketing, and promotional materials for other products to confuse you even further.

Don't play in their game. They have a complicated and confusing business process that you can never get out of, so I would avoid them altogether. After numerous and repeated contacts with no response via telephone, email and snail mail, they eventually responded to serious communication when their BBB rating was threatened. You need to clearly state that you are not interested in receiving any of their promotional materials or offers, you do not want to conduct any business with them, or establish an account with them, or have a relationship with them in any way whatsoever, and you might be able to shake them off.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2016

These ** took my money. I paid the first payment to them so they sent their cheap knife to me. I did not want any other knives... So I sent their ** back to them. So what do these ** do? They sent the same ** back to me. Where I had to pay out of my pocket to send their ** back twice. Then they have the nerve to say to me that I was credited twice. Chase those **. Took my money... Where I went to them and said... "What is going here?" This stupid **. She's got big ** and no brains so it's like talking to one of Trump's daughter. Dah!!! ** dumb **...

Original review: Sept. 28, 2016

I don't like this company (America Mint). Item #917-270-0 Value $89.95. I paid the $4.95 ($5.00 money order). Instead of receiving the item, I received another letter. Now $9.90 minus $40/$45. Never again. Don't think you are getting a deal!

Original review: July 26, 2016

87 year old mother sends them checks for knives from a "scratch and save discount". She thinks she is getting a good deal but she is getting a scam. She sends them checks for $24.90 and $14.90 thinking she is getting a good buy on knives to use as presents for her sons. American Mint starts sending her knife after knife and then bills her for an additional $129.95 for knives she did not knowingly order. My mother calls them to complain but gets nowhere with them. I call to complain and end up having to complain to the Better Business Bureau. This company will send you merchandise you didn't want to order then sends you big invoices to get you to pay for it. It is a deception and it is a scam.

Original review: June 7, 2016

I was surprised to see a coin in my first order that I did not order. However they only asked me if I wanted the coin and when I declined, the company made it extremely easy and no cost to me to return it. I have since order additional product and know I will be satisfied with what I ordered. High Quality Items, Beautifully created.

Original review: April 19, 2016

I received an ad in the mail that had a coupon that said if the three scratch offs matched, I would receive the coin free after shipping costs. I mailed a check and the coupon. I then received two coins and a bill for $79.95. I called the company and was told, "The coupon showed the front and back of the coin and I probably thought it was two coins but one was free and I had to pay for the second." That is so correct but the explanation came so quick, it is clear they know the deception they intended. I will do no more business with American Mint even if they offered to pay me to take their product. I have since received an offer to receive 2 different credits for the future. I will not even look for the trick this time or open any more of their scam correspondences.

Original review: April 19, 2016

I don't understand why I keep getting bills from the American Mint. I don't know what the bills are for. Don't ever order a coin from them because they will send you one every month.

Original review: March 31, 2016

I have dealt with American Mint on their bargains and scratch off's. At first no problem with returning the extra coins that were sent. I regretfully sent a coin back without registering it and now they claim they never received it. I have talked to them on several occasions and was told to report it to the US Mail. I filed a lost in mail with the local post office as requested by American Mint. I am now receiving letters threatening collections. Now my 96 yr old mother is in the same boat... Bad company.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2016

I NEVER intended to order a yearly subscription to their coins. When I contacted them they said they would send me a return label at NO cost via e-mail (All recorded per the recording I listen to before the rep answered). Then I called back after the 3-5 day wait only to find out "Oh no you have to pay for the return shipping and handling." This is one of those scams where they lock you in and you cannot get out no matter what you say or do. I already know what the next step would be... "Oh no we have not received your return order." So it's that game you play. The ONLY way out is to CANCEL your unknown subscription and eat the expense of the unknown purchase!!!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2016

Thought a credit card was given for the medallion, only one medallion was the transaction. This week February 5th received a relinquished bill from you for an outrageous amount, with late fees included, but since we had not heard a word from American Mint since the order was placed, did not know we owed anything. We will be happy to send medallions back. Pope Francis is my Pope and it hurts to see those taking advantage of him & his flock.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2016

I ordered a coin that was minimal cost. I believe it was just shipping and handling. When it arrived there was a second coin along with a bill for it. I immediately, the next day, mailed the coin back to them and asked them to credit my account. Sometime later I got a second bill from them and called in. They claimed the envelope was empty. I definitely mailed it back to them. They said they would send me a form to sign and it would be handled. Today I received another bill from them. I just called in and the man who answered claimed they had not received the coin and that I had signed in the form they sent me that I would return the coin. Being a doofus I did not read the letter closely but just signed it and returned it. My opinion these people are not ethical or honest.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2015

I was away from home attending personal matters. My house was burglarized while I was away. I get home, had police reports to file as someone was making purchases from my home under my name. I tried dealing with company. They are worthless and rude.

Original review: Oct. 26, 2015

I received my coins this past week and was impress with the quality of the work, with the exception of a little note (Cu layered in 24k gold Quality proof). It troubled me because I know my nuclide chart for the elements and the Cu kept coming back to haunt me. Ah ha! Cu is copper. I would have been more than satisfied if the coins were stamped from silver @ 99999.99 grade over layered in 24k gold. I paid for a slug of copper stamped with the above emblems covered in 24k gold. Think about it! I paid a lot of money for a coin or coins with very little substance of worth as these coins. Do us right and get rid of the copper and use silver to plate with the 24k gold.

Original review: Sept. 6, 2015

I ordered a coin from an ad to pay only S&H, received 2 coins and billed $89 for the not ordered 2nd coin. Refused to pay and told them would be glad to return if they would provide prepaid way to do so. After much hassle they finally did. I returned the coin and thought that would be the end of it. Not to be. They continue to bill and now threaten to turn over to a collection agency. While the product may be fine their business practices are not. This is a dishonest company attempting to force money from folks when none is due.

Original review: Aug. 7, 2015

I just started collecting coins. Since I began I've spent several hundred dollars with American Mint. I always x-out the preview section of their form. I've never had any issues. I've called on several occasions to check status of delivery and always have been treated with respect and integrity. They give me great deals and have always done as promised! I would encourage all those who have complaints to fully read their mail before signing the dotted line (just a common rule of thumb). I'm sure mistakes have been made but I'm positive they weren't intentional. In my experience American Mint is a stellar American company.

Original review: Aug. 5, 2015

Received a junk mail offer from American Mint for a gold plated Lockback knife with an American Eagle scrimshaw handle + a free watch all for $9.95. Well, I knew it might be a cheap Chinese knife and an even cheaper watch; but, I was willing to take the risk as I am a knife collector and thought that if I didn't like the knife that I probably could sell it for the $10. A few weeks later, I get a package from American Mint with two knives, one the Eagle scrimshaw knife + the watch, and another a Big Horn Ram Sheep scrimshaw knife with an invoice that stated I owed $59.95 for the Big Horn knife. My order form said nothing about 2 knives and having to pay $60 for another.

Also enclosed was another order form informing me that they were holding a Civil War Commemorative Coin in my name valued at $99.95 for me for $4.95+$4.95 S&H. Now, the Big Horn Sheep knife that I did not order, to me is "an unsolicited gift" as I did not order it, and "screw 'em" if they want money for it. However, I was not raised that way; but, if my attempt to communicate with this company fails, I just might become "that way". I will post more of this continuing saga as it unfolds.

Original review: July 23, 2015

I ordered a coin originally and ended up having some sent to me. "You made a fine decision when you selected this fine piece," --- I did not order this or some others I was sent, but enough was more than enough and they refused to stop contacting me. I wrote that they should stop but then this coin came as though I had ordered it. I decided this was a dishonest company. I think I was charged for coins I did not receive and when I tried to call them by phone there was soft music playing but no one answered the phone. So I decided to check up on them and found this place. Now I know for sure they are a rip-off. I am 85 and live on Social security. They are lower than low. What do I do?

American Mint Company Information