American Mint

Compare Miscellaneous

Research top Miscellaneous recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

I received a letter from American Mint dated 01/25/2017 attached with a credit statement showing $50.00 credit with an offer to redeem it by 02/18/17. I fell for this bait and ordered the Special 10th Anniversary Edition Bald Eagle Pocket Knife at a cost of $9.95 plus shipping of $4.95. This amount was paid by a check that was cashed on the 2/24/17 at my bank. Now, to my surprise I received a reminder asking to pay $59.95 and a threat of incurring additional late fee if I don't pay now. I fail to understand what kind of rip off business is this?

I am not satisfied with this purchase, as these are Chinese made fake pocket knife that was offered with a bait price of $9.95 plus shipping at a total offer price of $14.90. I have researched on this company and numerous consumers have complained about their unethical and deceitful business deals, cheating unsuspecting consumers with this kind of bait offer and billing again for the same product that was already paid for per their initial offer. Please see how Consumer Affairs can deal with this company and solve this issue. Thanks for your help.

This company target older people and keep sending coins and sending bills. Exploiting older and innocent people. They use address as P.O BOX 10 Mechanicsburg, PA 17055. Obviously, not a legitimate business at all. This company is committing criminal activities, should be indicted. Do not fall for this company.

Like everyone else I thought it would be nice to add to my coin collection. Well I sent their "EXTRA" coin back and within 2 days they received it (always use tracking)…and 3 weeks later my account get charged $89.95. I definitely wrote on the invoice…DO NOT SEND ANY MORE coins. To which of course they say... "well they've already been shipped." So here’s my advice-cancel your bank account so they can't take out anymore $. I am getting a different debit card and I'll never fall for this again.

I had one transition w/ American Mint & they continue to charge me monthly. I disputed this problem w/ my bank and I won. I also saw that there is a class action lawsuit against these scammers. Do not deal with these dirtbags.

This company makes literal use of credit (don't mistake for credits given by other companies) to lure the recipient of the mail. They will send you an invoice for 4.99 with credit of 70.99 for a coin or something. The person will think that he is paying 4.99 for the stuff promised in the mail. But actually what is agreed upon is to pay back 70.99 after receiving the stuff. That means according to them you are given an option of paying the credit amount later. It is like giving a loan of 70.99 to be paid back. Very misleading.

Also they send you some other stuff with it so that you would open the package to receive what you ordered and hence are committed to the other stuff also. Best advice is do not open any mail from American Mint and even if you open do not send any amount like 4.95 or 9.70 thinking that you got a bargain. It is a bait to make you pay a lot of money for a stuff you do not need or want. It could be worthless also for you. Warning is that you are protecting yourself by not opening any mail from American Mint.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Mint?

They are hustlers, slow to respond and their business model is seriously flawed and deceptive, luring you in with complicated offers of credit notes and special award vouchers, requiring you to learn a whole new vocabulary just to understand their terminology and what it is they're talking about, and bombarding you with information overload of endless advertisements, marketing, and promotional materials for other products to confuse you even further.

Don't play in their game. They have a complicated and confusing business process that you can never get out of, so I would avoid them altogether. After numerous and repeated contacts with no response via telephone, email and snail mail, they eventually responded to serious communication when their BBB rating was threatened. You need to clearly state that you are not interested in receiving any of their promotional materials or offers, you do not want to conduct any business with them, or establish an account with them, or have a relationship with them in any way whatsoever, and you might be able to shake them off.

These ** took my money. I paid the first payment to them so they sent their cheap knife to me. I did not want any other knives... So I sent their ** back to them. So what do these ** do? They sent the same ** back to me. Where I had to pay out of my pocket to send their ** back twice. Then they have the nerve to say to me that I was credited twice. Chase those **. Took my money... Where I went to them and said... "What is going here?" This stupid **. She's got big ** and no brains so it's like talking to one of Trump's daughter. Dah!!! ** dumb **...

I don't like this company (America Mint). Item #917-270-0 Value $89.95. I paid the $4.95 ($5.00 money order). Instead of receiving the item, I received another letter. Now $9.90 minus $40/$45. Never again. Don't think you are getting a deal!

87 year old mother sends them checks for knives from a "scratch and save discount". She thinks she is getting a good deal but she is getting a scam. She sends them checks for $24.90 and $14.90 thinking she is getting a good buy on knives to use as presents for her sons. American Mint starts sending her knife after knife and then bills her for an additional $129.95 for knives she did not knowingly order. My mother calls them to complain but gets nowhere with them. I call to complain and end up having to complain to the Better Business Bureau. This company will send you merchandise you didn't want to order then sends you big invoices to get you to pay for it. It is a deception and it is a scam.

I was surprised to see a coin in my first order that I did not order. However they only asked me if I wanted the coin and when I declined, the company made it extremely easy and no cost to me to return it. I have since order additional product and know I will be satisfied with what I ordered. High Quality Items, Beautifully created.

I received an ad in the mail that had a coupon that said if the three scratch offs matched, I would receive the coin free after shipping costs. I mailed a check and the coupon. I then received two coins and a bill for $79.95. I called the company and was told, "The coupon showed the front and back of the coin and I probably thought it was two coins but one was free and I had to pay for the second." That is so correct but the explanation came so quick, it is clear they know the deception they intended. I will do no more business with American Mint even if they offered to pay me to take their product. I have since received an offer to receive 2 different credits for the future. I will not even look for the trick this time or open any more of their scam correspondences.

I don't understand why I keep getting bills from the American Mint. I don't know what the bills are for. Don't ever order a coin from them because they will send you one every month.

I have dealt with American Mint on their bargains and scratch off's. At first no problem with returning the extra coins that were sent. I regretfully sent a coin back without registering it and now they claim they never received it. I have talked to them on several occasions and was told to report it to the US Mail. I filed a lost in mail with the local post office as requested by American Mint. I am now receiving letters threatening collections. Now my 96 yr old mother is in the same boat... Bad company.

I NEVER intended to order a yearly subscription to their coins. When I contacted them they said they would send me a return label at NO cost via e-mail (All recorded per the recording I listen to before the rep answered). Then I called back after the 3-5 day wait only to find out "Oh no you have to pay for the return shipping and handling." This is one of those scams where they lock you in and you cannot get out no matter what you say or do. I already know what the next step would be... "Oh no we have not received your return order." So it's that game you play. The ONLY way out is to CANCEL your unknown subscription and eat the expense of the unknown purchase!!!

Thought a credit card was given for the medallion, only one medallion was the transaction. This week February 5th received a relinquished bill from you for an outrageous amount, with late fees included, but since we had not heard a word from American Mint since the order was placed, did not know we owed anything. We will be happy to send medallions back. Pope Francis is my Pope and it hurts to see those taking advantage of him & his flock.

I ordered a coin that was minimal cost. I believe it was just shipping and handling. When it arrived there was a second coin along with a bill for it. I immediately, the next day, mailed the coin back to them and asked them to credit my account. Sometime later I got a second bill from them and called in. They claimed the envelope was empty. I definitely mailed it back to them. They said they would send me a form to sign and it would be handled. Today I received another bill from them. I just called in and the man who answered claimed they had not received the coin and that I had signed in the form they sent me that I would return the coin. Being a doofus I did not read the letter closely but just signed it and returned it. My opinion these people are not ethical or honest.

I was away from home attending personal matters. My house was burglarized while I was away. I get home, had police reports to file as someone was making purchases from my home under my name. I tried dealing with company. They are worthless and rude.

I received my coins this past week and was impress with the quality of the work, with the exception of a little note (Cu layered in 24k gold Quality proof). It troubled me because I know my nuclide chart for the elements and the Cu kept coming back to haunt me. Ah ha! Cu is copper. I would have been more than satisfied if the coins were stamped from silver @ 99999.99 grade over layered in 24k gold. I paid for a slug of copper stamped with the above emblems covered in 24k gold. Think about it! I paid a lot of money for a coin or coins with very little substance of worth as these coins. Do us right and get rid of the copper and use silver to plate with the 24k gold.

I ordered a coin from an ad to pay only S&H, received 2 coins and billed $89 for the not ordered 2nd coin. Refused to pay and told them would be glad to return if they would provide prepaid way to do so. After much hassle they finally did. I returned the coin and thought that would be the end of it. Not to be. They continue to bill and now threaten to turn over to a collection agency. While the product may be fine their business practices are not. This is a dishonest company attempting to force money from folks when none is due.

I just started collecting coins. Since I began I've spent several hundred dollars with American Mint. I always x-out the preview section of their form. I've never had any issues. I've called on several occasions to check status of delivery and always have been treated with respect and integrity. They give me great deals and have always done as promised! I would encourage all those who have complaints to fully read their mail before signing the dotted line (just a common rule of thumb). I'm sure mistakes have been made but I'm positive they weren't intentional. In my experience American Mint is a stellar American company.

Received a junk mail offer from American Mint for a gold plated Lockback knife with an American Eagle scrimshaw handle + a free watch all for $9.95. Well, I knew it might be a cheap Chinese knife and an even cheaper watch; but, I was willing to take the risk as I am a knife collector and thought that if I didn't like the knife that I probably could sell it for the $10. A few weeks later, I get a package from American Mint with two knives, one the Eagle scrimshaw knife + the watch, and another a Big Horn Ram Sheep scrimshaw knife with an invoice that stated I owed $59.95 for the Big Horn knife. My order form said nothing about 2 knives and having to pay $60 for another.

Also enclosed was another order form informing me that they were holding a Civil War Commemorative Coin in my name valued at $99.95 for me for $4.95+$4.95 S&H. Now, the Big Horn Sheep knife that I did not order, to me is "an unsolicited gift" as I did not order it, and "screw 'em" if they want money for it. However, I was not raised that way; but, if my attempt to communicate with this company fails, I just might become "that way". I will post more of this continuing saga as it unfolds.

I ordered a coin originally and ended up having some sent to me. "You made a fine decision when you selected this fine piece," --- I did not order this or some others I was sent, but enough was more than enough and they refused to stop contacting me. I wrote that they should stop but then this coin came as though I had ordered it. I decided this was a dishonest company. I think I was charged for coins I did not receive and when I tried to call them by phone there was soft music playing but no one answered the phone. So I decided to check up on them and found this place. Now I know for sure they are a rip-off. I am 85 and live on Social security. They are lower than low. What do I do?

I'm not sure where the consumers have shopped that state their "COINS" from American Mint LLC are "worthless". I have been a collector for many years, I am company-loyal. The company I dealt with for over 25 years recently closed it's doors permanently, so I began researching other companies. I came across American Mint LLC in Mechanicsburg, PA - this was one of fourteen from fifty I had narrowed down. I did not tell them who I was nor my past buying experiences, however I ordered a 1997 plat-layered coin for $4.95, regular price $99.95 - thought ok, it's some kind of gimmick.

I received it along with a 2000 plat. coin which I did not like had no hassle return at all. I received another I did order and decided it was test time. I took both pieces, one plat-layered and one 24K gold-layered ($79.95 value purchase for $4.95) to a friend down south. He explained while very pretty indeed, the 24K gold was worth around $102.35 and the plat-layered was worth around $94.56. REASON? Market price fluctuation both had a collector value of about $75 each but the gold and plat (even though layered) market prices change daily, even hourly sometimes.

So before anyone should be bad-mouthing this company, maybe you should learn what you're talking about. And just because one person says it's worthless, you jump on here and try to hurt a companies reputation? Take a class or go to a seminar, learn for free online. In certain areas, all about collecting - there are so many stipulations that go into "VALUE", some of you probably could not even comprehend this. I have just this past weekend, ordered four more reg-priced and value-priced coins, so I'll let you know how they turn out.

I had received a letter in the mail from them two times to get collectible coins and free gold flakes for 4.95. I paid the two separate fees and everything came in the mail together. I had put an x on the paragraph to not enroll in the monthly plan. I got the extra coin and a bill saying I'd have to pay the balance in 30 days unless I called to cancel it in that 30 day period. I did this and told the lady I had x-ed out both paragraphs and she told me she was sorry and that I could keep the extra coin free of charge and they would remove my balance! No complaints here. I wish they wouldn't have enrolled me when I marked not to, but I got a free coin out of the deal! No issues at all with the customer service!

The company sent a coin at no obligation then sent me to collections. I returned their coin, wanted my money back and never heard from them. I figured I got scammed. I filed a complaint with the worthless BBB who sided with the company and they felt entitled to send me to collections.

I ordered a coin from a mailer for $4.95. I received the coin I ordered plus a coin I did not order and an invoice for $89.95. I called customer service and told them I did not want the coin and to cancel my account and I wanted to return the coin. They said they would send me a return label in 7-10 business days and it has been over 10 business days and I still have not received the return label. I called customer service and requested them to email me the return label and they refused. I asked to talk to her supervisor and she said her supervisor was unavailable. I probably have no choice but to send the coin back by certified mail which I will have to pay for. In my opinion, American Mint is not an honest Company. Buyer beware!

I received "CREDIT STATEMENT" that $49.95 was credited to "my account" (I don't have account) and send $4.95 to receive "1922 $500 gold certificate ingot AND a vial of gold flakes." This was all shredded. They want your credit card number.

This company sends you unsolicited items and bills you for it. Nobody should have to go through the trouble to return items not ordered!

Made sure I wasn't subscribing to anything! Only paying S&H on my 24k layered Statue of Liberty Coin with free bonus 24K layered Statue of Liberty keychain (made in China) & got a bill and an extra coin with my delivery. American Mint wants me to pay $79.95 for a Pledge of Allegiance coin that has no real street value at a coin shop?! They dare to use the name "American" in this kind of Shady biz practice... Contacted them "Oh you neglected to check off the subscription box..." No, wrong but I'm sure you count on plenty of people not remembering whether they did or not!

As the coin holder has 2 pockets, it's apparent this is their general practice and I can see I'm not the first to be duped by "American Mint". So now I await their "return label" being mailed to me within 7 to 10 business days. Since I just received the package today the Non-Legal Tender coin should be back in their possession well before the 20 day "in-home preview" deadline. Never-the-less they best not try to attach any further billing to my MC debit card!

Thanks American Mint for making me feel so fortunate and being upright for our country-folk, and for those reading this that may be unclear please excuse my sarcasm. A collector's coin is a coin that has an equal or greater value as time goes on. Sad that this business is making money off of deception!

An envelope arrives with a negative credit amount displayed through the plastic window. So everybody that sees this envelope thinks I have a debt. It turns out that this is actually a gimmick, so then they now tell you they're going to award you $80 if you spend an additional $19 for one of their worthless coins. What a joke.

American Mint Company Profile