1.34/5
  • 1 star
Based on 87 reviews that contain star ratingsSHOW RATING DISTRIBUTION

American Mint

Select stars to rate your experience
Very dissatisfied with the experience
Dissatisfied with the experience
Satisfied with the experience
Happy with the experience
Would recommend to a friend
Last updated: Jan. 13, 2018

126 American Mint Consumer Reviews and Complaints

Filter by:Any
Original review: Jan. 13, 2018

This crooked outfit has harassed me and continues to do so up to today. All the coins that I received without soliciting some were returned to them. The mistake on my return was not sending it back registered. The last letter from these crooks dated 1/04/2018 states this is their last and it now will be turned over to National Recovery Agency for collection. These people are CROOKS. There are others that got taken in by this outfit and are being harassed for a payment that they don't owe. This company should be sued and shut down for consumer fraud. They keep adding late fees to my claimed balance owed and none of this will be paid. These people that are the registered owners should be prosecuted.

Original review: Jan. 3, 2018

My elderly mother took advantage of American Mint's offer to get one of their coins for a very low price --- shipping only. She loved the coin and got another one in the same manner. American Mint said they sent additional coins and that she needed to pay for them... But she did not receive them. She's called on a couple of occasions to try resolve this misunderstanding, but without successful resolution. They're now billing her every so often and threatening to send a collection agency, which scares her! This is such a racket, taking advantage of the elderly especially! They need to be shut down and prosecuted. No doubt they've received payments from unknowing customers who sent the money on good faith -- even though that was not part of their transaction. Stay away from them! Need to contact BBB and AG. I don't see an order #. I see a customer #, an account #, and an invoice # on the invoice.

Get expert advice delivered right to your inbox

We try to avoid the fluff and deliver tips and guides that really matter

Unsubscribe easily whenever you want
Original review: Dec. 23, 2017

Original ad offers Donald Trump coin for $19.95, a $79.95 value. Paid for & received the 2-coins. Received a bill requesting payment of $79.95. I wrote back & reminded them of their ad & requested they remove me from any mailing list. Just received another bill asking for $79.95 & a late fee if not paid. I originally paid American Mint the $19.95 that was owed for the Donald Trump coins & did not asked to be signed up for any additional coins or to join any club. As far as I'm concerned, my obligation is complete, & will never order anything from American Mint again!

Original review: Nov. 20, 2017

OK. So after the debacle with trying to pay for my Trump coin(s) (another rip off with their cryptic language), I receive a notice that I owed X dollars. So I pay the bill...or so I thought! 6-8 weeks later, I get another mail saying I owe the balance AND a past due amount! I negotiate the past due amount down to ZERO and pay the bill...or so I thought! 6-8 weeks later guess what. Another letter! Balance due again! I'm asking these people (sometimes very hard to understand their broken English) why they refuse to pay my bill! They tell me each time that they didn't run my CC and pay my bill. I ask them the obvious question like...WTF not? They don't know. "So please give it to us again and we'll pay it for sure."

Which brings me to today. I'm so upset that I actually created a user to get on this site and complain. I got ANOTHER letter today and they are referring me to their collection agency! I have great credit and it jacks up my credit score. So what do I do now? I'll call these knuckleheads again and let's see what happens...but I kinda know the outcome already. I'll never buy anything from this company again and I'm researching all of my legal options to get this straightened out.

Original review: Nov. 6, 2017

I was enticed to purchase several coins when they were offered at less than a 10 dollar price, including a Trump commemorative coin and a replica 20 dollar gold coin. Both orders included unordered coins one of which was returned. This started a long list of letters requesting payment of over $50 and threatening me with a collection agency. This is after I had also ordered and paid for a knife that was never received. This outfit should be targeted for utmost care in using. Save all documents that they provide so that you will know precisely what you signed up for. Buyer beware!!!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about American Mint?

Original review: Oct. 12, 2017

I ordered a free 1933 Gold Double Eagle replica and free vial of gold flakes for $6.95 S&H on 9/16/2017. On the form, I indicated I did NOT want to enroll in any future items. On 10/12/2017, I received a package with the ordered 1933 gold double eagle and the flakes. I also received an unsolicited 1833 Liberty Head archive replica and a bill for $89.95. I feel like a moron for not checking here before I placed the order. I guess, I believed American Mint was as reputable as The Bradford Mint. So wrong I am. I will be contacting customer service for a return label. Somehow I don't think it will show; but then I might get lucky like someone else and have them give it free as I did not use a CC# and I have a xerox of my order showing no extra stuff. Will let you all know... perhaps a class action suit is in order.

Original review: Aug. 23, 2017

I ordered a coin that I saw in a flyer which came in the mail. With the initial $7 coin I ordered, came another coin that they wanted to charge me nearly $100 for. I sent it back, and ever since then I have been INUNDATED with billing that claims I owe them money that I don't owe them!! The last letter I received was the final straw, so I called this morning, only to get a message that said "Please wait for the next available operator." So I waited, for ten long minutes... Only to receive yet another automated message that said "We are currently closed, please call during business hours." I was more than irate. I would recommend that anyone stay far far from ordering from this place - they have no clue how to operate, do business, or know the first thing about customer service!

Original review: Aug. 18, 2017

This company has held onto $99.95 from my bank account despite having received the returned merchandise (with their return label attached). I've made 3 attempts to resolve this and have been told (on 2 occasions) that the credit was issued, and perhaps my bank made an error. Not the case. Today I find that they now assert that it can take them 4 to 6 WEEKS to process a return. When I demanded to talk to a supervisor they tell me that even that courtesy can take 24 to 48 hours. Their error has cost me $60 in bank charges to date. Then (of all things) I see another charge for $59.99 against my account for merchandise that they "ship on approval"; which I haven't even received. I am normally quite good at handling my business affairs but this one has me stalled... (for now). I guess the FTC and the AG in both states are next contacts.

Original review: Aug. 1, 2017

I have sent back the coins which were sent months ago. I did not order these coins and I know they're fakes. somehow I continue to receive notices even though I sent everything back with a note, called them and they deny getting my package. I would like to know how to expose them and stop them from sending any notices.

Original review: July 25, 2017

I have currently received THREE past due notices from this company... AFTER I contacted them to cancel my subscriptions. The bills they say are unpaid. I have records of paying one bill with a credit card, and the second with a check (which was deposited by American Mint). I went to their website, but cannot access my "account". I sent an email to their "customer care" department (via a link on their website), but never received a response... and received another "past due" notice.

Original review: July 15, 2017

American Mint sent a 'winning ticket' for a free coin. So I paid the shipping and handling of $6.95 and thought I got a good deal. I got the coin but they also billed me the full price of $79.95, late fees of $10.50 and threats to send it to a collection agency. See attached invoice and original sales ad. It's sad that this company's name has American in it! Greedy slim balls.

Original review: June 30, 2017

I never could imagine that such a dirty business is possible so long time on so high level of spread! They target elderly people to sell them expensive coins for cheap. Then, they send you invoices to pay full price for one and all other coins you didn't order. I, believing them, sent them 12 orders $4.50 - 11.90 based on the "vouchers", "credits", "discounts" etc. offered. And now I received lots of invoices on hundreds of $! Is it not criminal activity business!

Original review: June 24, 2017

I received a spam snail-mail packet from these people touting their "collector" coins. After review of their screed containing a "jackpot scratch-off" card that said if I uncovered three jackpots, I would "win" a "valuable" proof coin. I decided the whole thing was a "too-good-to-be-true" scam. I dumped the whole packet of their trash back into their Post Paid envelope and dropped it into the postal stream. Next month I received from them a "replica" stamping of a coin, a vial of "free gold flakes", and a fake "replica" of a double-eagle coin and a bill for $89.95 plus $6.95 shipping. Mind you, their come-on clearly states that no orders will be filled unless shipping is paid in advance. 1) I did not make an order for their junk. 2) I did NOT send them shipping fees. They assigned me an account number (**) and are trying to collect money from me.

Federal postal regulations state that Items not ordered need not be paid for - It's just the LAW! I contacted their billing dept. and told them that if they wanted their junk back, they should send me a paid shipping label. About a month later, a label arrived and I put their junk back in its package and sent it BACK to them. They bounced it back and sent another bill (separately) for the total of the previous bill plus a late fee. Yeesh! I packed up their stuff in another shipping package, insured it and with return receipt required. This month I got another bill but for just the $6.95, PLUS another late fee of $10.50 and a threat of collection action. My next stop will be my lawyer's office where I will request him to begin filing fraud proceedings against them with the state. This cannot go unanswered!! They are thieves and must be stopped!!

Original review: April 29, 2017

I received a letter from American Mint dated 01/25/2017 attached with a credit statement showing $50.00 credit with an offer to redeem it by 02/18/17. I fell for this bait and ordered the Special 10th Anniversary Edition Bald Eagle Pocket Knife at a cost of $9.95 plus shipping of $4.95. This amount was paid by a check that was cashed on the 2/24/17 at my bank. Now, to my surprise I received a reminder asking to pay $59.95 and a threat of incurring additional late fee if I don't pay now. I fail to understand what kind of rip off business is this?

I am not satisfied with this purchase, as these are Chinese made fake pocket knife that was offered with a bait price of $9.95 plus shipping at a total offer price of $14.90. I have researched on this company and numerous consumers have complained about their unethical and deceitful business deals, cheating unsuspecting consumers with this kind of bait offer and billing again for the same product that was already paid for per their initial offer. Please see how Consumer Affairs can deal with this company and solve this issue. Thanks for your help.

Original review: April 25, 2017

This company target older people and keep sending coins and sending bills. Exploiting older and innocent people. They use address as P.O BOX 10 Mechanicsburg, PA 17055. Obviously, not a legitimate business at all. This company is committing criminal activities, should be indicted. Do not fall for this company.

Original review: April 11, 2017

Like everyone else I thought it would be nice to add to my coin collection. Well I sent their "EXTRA" coin back and within 2 days they received it (always use tracking)…and 3 weeks later my account get charged $89.95. I definitely wrote on the invoice…DO NOT SEND ANY MORE coins. To which of course they say... "well they've already been shipped." So here’s my advice-cancel your bank account so they can't take out anymore $. I am getting a different debit card and I'll never fall for this again.

Original review: March 24, 2017

I had one transition w/ American Mint & they continue to charge me monthly. I disputed this problem w/ my bank and I won. I also saw that there is a class action lawsuit against these scammers. Do not deal with these dirtbags.

Original review: March 13, 2017

This company makes literal use of credit (don't mistake for credits given by other companies) to lure the recipient of the mail. They will send you an invoice for 4.99 with credit of 70.99 for a coin or something. The person will think that he is paying 4.99 for the stuff promised in the mail. But actually what is agreed upon is to pay back 70.99 after receiving the stuff. That means according to them you are given an option of paying the credit amount later. It is like giving a loan of 70.99 to be paid back. Very misleading.

Also they send you some other stuff with it so that you would open the package to receive what you ordered and hence are committed to the other stuff also. Best advice is do not open any mail from American Mint and even if you open do not send any amount like 4.95 or 9.70 thinking that you got a bargain. It is a bait to make you pay a lot of money for a stuff you do not need or want. It could be worthless also for you. Warning is that you are protecting yourself by not opening any mail from American Mint.

Original review: Nov. 16, 2016

They are hustlers, slow to respond and their business model is seriously flawed and deceptive, luring you in with complicated offers of credit notes and special award vouchers, requiring you to learn a whole new vocabulary just to understand their terminology and what it is they're talking about, and bombarding you with information overload of endless advertisements, marketing, and promotional materials for other products to confuse you even further.

Don't play in their game. They have a complicated and confusing business process that you can never get out of, so I would avoid them altogether. After numerous and repeated contacts with no response via telephone, email and snail mail, they eventually responded to serious communication when their BBB rating was threatened. You need to clearly state that you are not interested in receiving any of their promotional materials or offers, you do not want to conduct any business with them, or establish an account with them, or have a relationship with them in any way whatsoever, and you might be able to shake them off.

Original review: Oct. 7, 2016

These ** took my money. I paid the first payment to them so they sent their cheap knife to me. I did not want any other knives... So I sent their ** back to them. So what do these ** do? They sent the same ** back to me. Where I had to pay out of my pocket to send their ** back twice. Then they have the nerve to say to me that I was credited twice. Chase those **. Took my money... Where I went to them and said... "What is going here?" This stupid **. She's got big ** and no brains so it's like talking to one of Trump's daughter. Dah!!! ** dumb **...

Original review: Sept. 28, 2016

I don't like this company (America Mint). Item #917-270-0 Value $89.95. I paid the $4.95 ($5.00 money order). Instead of receiving the item, I received another letter. Now $9.90 minus $40/$45. Never again. Don't think you are getting a deal!

Original review: July 26, 2016

87 year old mother sends them checks for knives from a "scratch and save discount". She thinks she is getting a good deal but she is getting a scam. She sends them checks for $24.90 and $14.90 thinking she is getting a good buy on knives to use as presents for her sons. American Mint starts sending her knife after knife and then bills her for an additional $129.95 for knives she did not knowingly order. My mother calls them to complain but gets nowhere with them. I call to complain and end up having to complain to the Better Business Bureau. This company will send you merchandise you didn't want to order then sends you big invoices to get you to pay for it. It is a deception and it is a scam.

Original review: June 7, 2016

I was surprised to see a coin in my first order that I did not order. However they only asked me if I wanted the coin and when I declined, the company made it extremely easy and no cost to me to return it. I have since order additional product and know I will be satisfied with what I ordered. High Quality Items, Beautifully created.

Original review: April 19, 2016

I received an ad in the mail that had a coupon that said if the three scratch offs matched, I would receive the coin free after shipping costs. I mailed a check and the coupon. I then received two coins and a bill for $79.95. I called the company and was told, "The coupon showed the front and back of the coin and I probably thought it was two coins but one was free and I had to pay for the second." That is so correct but the explanation came so quick, it is clear they know the deception they intended. I will do no more business with American Mint even if they offered to pay me to take their product. I have since received an offer to receive 2 different credits for the future. I will not even look for the trick this time or open any more of their scam correspondences.

Original review: April 19, 2016

I don't understand why I keep getting bills from the American Mint. I don't know what the bills are for. Don't ever order a coin from them because they will send you one every month.

Original review: March 31, 2016

I have dealt with American Mint on their bargains and scratch off's. At first no problem with returning the extra coins that were sent. I regretfully sent a coin back without registering it and now they claim they never received it. I have talked to them on several occasions and was told to report it to the US Mail. I filed a lost in mail with the local post office as requested by American Mint. I am now receiving letters threatening collections. Now my 96 yr old mother is in the same boat... Bad company.

Original review: Feb. 9, 2016

I NEVER intended to order a yearly subscription to their coins. When I contacted them they said they would send me a return label at NO cost via e-mail (All recorded per the recording I listen to before the rep answered). Then I called back after the 3-5 day wait only to find out "Oh no you have to pay for the return shipping and handling." This is one of those scams where they lock you in and you cannot get out no matter what you say or do. I already know what the next step would be... "Oh no we have not received your return order." So it's that game you play. The ONLY way out is to CANCEL your unknown subscription and eat the expense of the unknown purchase!!!

Original review: Feb. 7, 2016

Thought a credit card was given for the medallion, only one medallion was the transaction. This week February 5th received a relinquished bill from you for an outrageous amount, with late fees included, but since we had not heard a word from American Mint since the order was placed, did not know we owed anything. We will be happy to send medallions back. Pope Francis is my Pope and it hurts to see those taking advantage of him & his flock.

Original review: Jan. 11, 2016

I ordered a coin that was minimal cost. I believe it was just shipping and handling. When it arrived there was a second coin along with a bill for it. I immediately, the next day, mailed the coin back to them and asked them to credit my account. Sometime later I got a second bill from them and called in. They claimed the envelope was empty. I definitely mailed it back to them. They said they would send me a form to sign and it would be handled. Today I received another bill from them. I just called in and the man who answered claimed they had not received the coin and that I had signed in the form they sent me that I would return the coin. Being a doofus I did not read the letter closely but just signed it and returned it. My opinion these people are not ethical or honest.

Original review: Nov. 25, 2015

I was away from home attending personal matters. My house was burglarized while I was away. I get home, had police reports to file as someone was making purchases from my home under my name. I tried dealing with company. They are worthless and rude.

American Mint Company Information

www.americanmint.com

ConsumerAffairs Solutions for Business

Schedule a demo

Your use of this site constitutes acceptance of the Terms of Use