One Reverse Mortgage

Compare Reverse Mortgages

Research top Reverse Mortgages recommendations on ConsumerAffairs

What the consumer does not realize is that all the advertising out there is very deceptive and misleading. Saying a person gets to stay in their home does not tell the full story of all the charges that continue to add to the loan. There is an initial huge charge for PMI insurance and an annual charge. PMI insurance does not protect you, it protects the mortgage company but you end of paying for it and it continues to add to the loan amount on your home! Your choice of a company for your homeowner's insurance has to be approved by them. If they do not like your choice or it does not meet their approval, you have to go with their choice. If you have one late payment on your taxes or insurance, that is cause for default and they can start foreclosure.

When you apply, your credit is checked and scrutinized. Even if you currently have excellent credit, they look back to previous years and items that have zero balances and make you respond to everything. You truly are under a microscope. So if that happens in the application process, imagine what happens after you have the loan. They truly look for ways to get your home from you. Once you sign on the bottom line, you really are not the owner of that home. All the advertising that is done with famous actors, is totally misleading. Those people are not the ones that are using the reverse mortgage! They can say anything that makes the program sound wonderful without having any firsthand knowledge of the process.

I almost signed my home away in this manner until I got the loan docs and the first paper I was to sign was a blank form asking for my credit card number along with the three digit number on the back of the card. Plus a disclaimer on the bottom of the form that said by signing the form I could not dispute any charges they made! This was a blank form they told me was necessary because I needed to pay for an appraisal on my home. When I refused to sign it, they basically said that they didn't know what my problem was as this form was requested by all applicants. I even contacted an attorney who told me to absolutely not sign such a form.

I think that seniors are being duped into thinking that the reverse mortgage is such a wonderful product for them when in reality, it is only a wonderful product for the mortgage companies who end up owning your home in the end as they hold all the cards. Seniors think twice, don't fall for the false ads out there! Don't be duped and scammed into giving away your home because after all the interest and charges continue to accrue on your home, your heirs will not be able to sell your home and gain ownership! They will have no choice but to turn it over to the mortgage company.

People were very pleasant in explaining process and were very helpful and friendly. They made things very easy if I had to would deal with this company again. Financing fees were fairly reasonable. They were not as high as some places. Repayment options were ok too. Not as bad as it could have been. Gave lots of choices to choose from to find best option suited for me. The value was good. Received more than expected too. Was able to do things like pay bills and make repairs that needed to be done.

They are very friendly and work with you, the customer. They try to help you with your mortgage as much as possible and are quick and efficient about it. Their fees are very typical, not amazing but not horrible. They are average when it comes down to how much you pay for the service, but they make up for it in customer service. They have very easy and relaxed repayment options, and I enjoy them very much. I can choose to repay any time I want and they'll work with me to do it. High quality company and would easily recommend to anyone. For how much they work with you, it's easily a great value.

They were very nice and helpful. Really wanted to work with you and help you the best they could which is great. Helps give you peace of mind and we all need that and knowing you can count on someone is great. They work with you the best they can to help you get the right payment so we can pay them back as fast as you can. Very useful and we all need that cause it gets harder and harder to get by and every little bit helps and that is great.

Customer service was good, was able to get ahold of reps when necessary. Calling was sometimes annoying but responded via email very quickly as well. Helpful when trying to resolve issues that came up. Financing fees are part of the service that are not really appreciated but are something that has to be dealt with. In order to get the funds the bank needs to protect their interest and get paid costs involved in doing the mortgage. Repayment options are varied and can be structures in yearly increments. I chose the 15 year payment plan which worked for me and was reasonable to pay to avoid as much interest as possible. Was able to get funds out of the equity of our home in order to pay for medical expenses that were necessary and allows us the cash flow we needed.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about One Reverse Mortgage?

I was fully informed every step of the way by nice and truly caring people. Every question I had was answered quickly and proficiently. The fees were the lowest of several comparable loans. In my opinion more than fair and completely explained from the beginning. I didn't have any problems as I had checked out several options and this was the lowest all around. Refinancing, selling the home or making the required payments when due. Other payment options such as a child refinancing into a conventional mortgage is also offered as a repayment option. Made my life easier as I know have more capital upfront to refurbish the home as I wanted. My plan is to roll it into a traditional mortgage in 5 years, with savings accruing until that point.

The customer service is genuine and complete. Knowledgeable staff help you through every step of the way. Almost feels like you did nothing at all. Financing fees were just right, not too high and there weren't too many. They earned the fee that was paid to them so I didn't feel subject to abuse. Diverse amount of repayment options leaves you without any questions about the future. Giving you a good sense if reassurance in the decision made. No question about the value. The decision speaks for itself in showing its true colors, a great learning experience on life tools and changes to help shape your future.

My customer experience is wonderful because the customer support is friendly and the best part is I don't have to wait. A representative help me with the paperwork and the processing goes smoothly. The financing fees are reasonable and I can be able to pay it back without the consequences of late fees and hidden charges. Also there's a customer support where I can get some help in case I don't understand the change in fees. The repayment is always negotiable because they will help you plan the payment dates and you will not be charged for late fees and hidden costs. Plus it help you to boost your credit score if you pay it on time. The reverse mortgage is a best way to get cash and the best part of all you can still keep your own home without the burden of repayment and extra costs.

We had a lot of questions when we first started looking into this. They were very professional and were able to answer all of our questions without hesitation. Their fees are very good and very competitive with the rest of the market. We did a lot of shopping around and had the best luck with them. I can highly recommend them based solely on their fee cost. There are a lot of different options for repayment. Their portfolio is excellent and very diverse and they are willing to bend to whatever it is that you are looking for. They gave me a very good value for our home. I was skeptical at first, but after their people came in and gave us our price, I was very happy with the outcome.

Helpful and knowledgeable. Able to give me the information needed. Worked well with me and was flexible with my schedule. Very nice people. The fees were affordable and satisfying, not too high and not too cheap. Definitely got what I paid for. Very affordable. Many repayment options given to work with your finances and were very satisfactory. Would recommend this service to others because of the repayment options. Has brought a lot of value into my life making it easier to make payments and allows me to save more money than I would with a regular mortgage.

My wife and I applied for a reverse mortgage in 2015 for property in Michigan that we had paid $160,000 for with cash several years previously. We were residents of California at the time, and the lender required us to become Michigan residents, which we did including driver's licenses and voter registration cards. I was 82 years old at the time and my wife is several years younger. The maximum amount of the loan would be about $83,000.00, based on her age. The HUD appraisal was for $160,000.

For some undetermined reason, One Reverse Mortgage also required Federal tax returns for 2013 and 2014. This was requested only after our account went to funding at the end of the application process (The IRS requires filing Federal returns only if you owe money or are due a refund, schedule 17). This request required about a month with H&R Block tax service, and much effort to find the information because it was archived. It is most difficult to understand why the tax returns were requested. I also had to explain why a duplex rental has two addresses, 365 and 367. I had to find a FedEX location to send in this information. And also why a credit report came up (I had inquired by phone from other lenders before choosing One Reverse Mortgage).

After waiting for over a month and no communication, I finally called the person at One Reverse Mortgage who had represented us, and he found that the loan was cancelled. He was always very nice and helpful, and apologized for what had happened. One Reverse Mortgage did not notify him or us directly of the cancellation. I would give One Reverse Mortgage less that a one star rating if I could. The loan process was very time-consuming, difficult and most unpleasant.

Expert Review

Michele LernerMortgage & Real Estate Contributing Editor

Michele Lerner, author of “HOMEBUYING: Tough Times, First Time, Any Time”, has been writing about personal finance and real estate for more than two decades. Michele writes for regional, national and international publications in print and online for a variety of audiences including consumers, real estate investors, business owners and real estate professionals.    More about Michele→

One Reverse Mortgage is the largest reverse mortgage lender in America. It is best known for using actor Henry Winkler in its infomercials.

• Well-known: As one of the best-known and largest companies in the industry, One Reverse Mortgage made a name for itself by using actor Henry Winkler in its advertisements. It is one of the largest mortgage companies in the United States and is therefore likely to provide appropriate services.
  • Educational information: The education section of One Reverse Mortgage’s website offers a wealth of information to help consumers make informed decisions.
  • Payoff of existing mortgages: One Reverse Mortgage will allow seniors to take out a reverse mortgage to pay off their current mortgage, giving consumers more options.
  • Loans: One Reverse Mortgage doesn’t offer property tax loans or home repair loans. They only offer HECM loans.
  • Website: It’s not as easy to find information and application materials as on some other websites.
  • Best for Seniors on fixed income.

Compare Reverse Mortgage Lenders