1.29/5

65 Touch of Modern Consumer Reviews

Original review: Aug. 23, 2019

I gave TOM 4 stars solely for the price of a dress shirt I ordered and the fast shipping time I didn't expect. However, there was a note stating I "saved" $98.00 on a shirt I paid $20.00 for, I went directly to the web site of the brand name on the shirt and they sell it for $59.00!!! Don't get me wrong the shirt is great for the price I paid the quality, looks and fit, BUT definitely recommend you due your research on pricing before buying from TOM, their mark up is HUGE!!

Original review: Aug. 16, 2019

I have purchased a number of things from this company. Never once had to complain. Then I order this ring, after using the sizing guide they provide, which turned out to be wholly erroneous. Way off! So, when the ring does not fit, I contact them. Too bad, so sad, I am told. I point out that I have spent literally thousands of dollars with them and that I don't want my $97 back, I just want a ring that fits. Nope. "Unable" to help me with that. Huh? Seriously. Now, I have ordered items that cost several thousands from them (watches) and items that cost just a few bucks. But with that kind of attitude, I won't ever order another thing from them. Buyer beware. Don't assume they will do the right thing when they get something wrong (like a misleading size chart), because they won't.

Get expert buying tips about Miscellaneous delivered to your inbox.

Original review: July 29, 2019

Here’s why, after being a steadfast customer for 4 years, I regret to say, TOM has lost my business. I like to buy stuff. Neat, cool, cutting edge things. And TOM used to specialize in that. Not so much anymore, but this isn’t the reason I’m leaving. I recently made a purchase for about $90. Typically my purchases run north of $100. I bought 4 t-shirts and something else. As with everything I’ve ever bought from TOM, it took FOREVER to get my order. To be fair, I’m used to this from them, and again not the reason they’ve lost my business.

My order came in pieces (not actual broken pieces like my last TOM order—again not enough to lose my business—in this case they were 4 variations of the same shirt, so I’m not really sure why they came in separate packages), and the first thing to arrive was one of the t-shirts. I was very excited, tore open the package and tried it on.

It was WAY too small and didn’t feel nearly as nice as it seemed it would be based on the listing. Having made a lot of clothing purchases online over the years, not a big deal. It happens. Knowing that there were 3 more shirts on their way of exactly the same size and cut, I proactively reached out to cancel my order. Their response seemed… interesting. "Unfortunately, it looks like this order has already been processed and it's currently on it's way to you. No worries! Once you've received the order you can reach back out to us and I can assist you in returning this item for a store credit. Please let me know if this works out for you. We look forward to your response.”

Okay, while maybe not how I would handle this (seems like a waste), I can handle this. So fast-forward a few days, and the shirts come in. Unfortunately, I’m out of town and can’t email them or return. But do so when I get back. They say the shirts arrived on July 17. Because I was away, I reached out to learn how to return them on July 25—NINE DAYS LATER. Their response? "I am so sorry that these items do not meet your satisfaction. Upon reviewing your order, it looks like these items arrived between June 18th and July 17th and they are outside the return policy. Return policies are listed in the details of each product page. Please review the pages you placed your order through the links below:”

Their return policy is SEVEN days. Even though I proactively reached out, they are doing nothing. Finally, to add insult to injury, when I tried to leave a note about my customer experience, I was told I couldn’t because the issue had been “closed” immediately after the experience. Anyway. Enough’s enough. When TOM started, they only featured cool stuff I couldn’t find elsewhere. Now, the stuff can be found anywhere else, and the difference in price isn’t worth it. Things come broken, or not as high quality as used to be, and this latest experience just shoved me right over the edge. And they no longer go to bat for their customers. Perhaps someday they’ll get back to their roots, but in the meantime, I’ll find another outlet to feed my need for cool stuff.

Original review: July 25, 2019

Recently ordered a men’s tie and when I received the tie it was of substandard quality! The tie did NOT even look like the tie in the online catalog. Shipping took almost 3 weeks to receive! I would NOT recommend anyone purchase from this company!!!

Original review: July 24, 2019

I placed an order for shoes on 6/18/19. The advertisement clearly indicates 2-3 weeks for shipping. Even assuming the products are not in stock in their physical location, this is quite some lead time. Understanding this, I placed the order anyways. I patiently wait until 7/15/19 to check the order status. The item not only has not been shipped, but the status is "PO Sent." They have not even begun any meaningful process to fulfill my order after 4 weeks. I send an inquiry re: status and the response I receive from a Chelsea at Touch of Modern is that the order is "being processed in the warehouse."

I wait until 7/18/19 to check the order status again for any updates. Nothing has changed. I send another request asking for a meaningful update. Other than a computer generated response, my email was ignored. I wait further until 7/22/19, and of course, no change in the order status. By now, there have been other department store sales that I have passed up on because I was waiting on these shoes. I emailed again letting Touch of Modern know that my previous email was ignored, and as of 7/24/19, no response.

I've ordered from Touch of Modern before, and back when they started, they were fine. Slow to ship, but I received my items. Lately, the quality of the products they sell have been terrible, and their customer service practices is beyond terrible. If you like to give a free loan to a company without any expectation of receiving your merchandise/products, this is the vendor for you! Stay away!

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Touch of Modern?

Original review: July 19, 2019

I recently buy knife from Touch of Modern from Black Forge Knives. What the crap I had bought. It's piece of **. Company don't take any responsibilities. Knife don't cut, worst knife I ever bought, even it doesn't match the pictures from where I bought. Leather sheath is lose, that knife pops out. Don't buy knives from Black Forge Knives and Touch of Modern.

Original review: July 16, 2019

With TOM, read the FINE PRINTS! They may have an interesting range of products but they are nothing but a mouthpiece for products they don't stock (at least most of it). I have had 2 bad experiences with them. One was an order for a signed autographed poster which they had advertised comes with frame. But when I got it, there was no frame and insisted I had ordered it wrongly (ordered the option without frame) but I showed them a screenshot which did not show there were two options (with and without frame) that was offered.

Cut a long story short, I gave up and bought a frame from Michaels and made it myself. Second time was when I ordered a watch for my wife. I had ordered it 2 weeks in advance to the date I had planned to give it to her to only realize after a few days of inactive movement on my order did they come back to me and said that the fulfillment period is 2-3 weeks and they don't hold stocks and it is being fulfilled by a 3rd party vendor. Asked them for help since how difficult can it be to box a watch up and send it out. But I guess their supplier doesn't have the stock too and have to order it up the ladder....TBC.

Original review: July 9, 2019

This e-commerce co. repeatedly advertises clothing items as 100% cotton when they are not. Just received a shirt on 7/8/19 listed as 100% cotton--it's 100% polyester. I can live with a mistake here and there. But this makes 4 or 5 just this year. And I have the e-mails to prove it.

Original review: June 30, 2019

Bait and Switch company with Smoke in Mirror Policies. This company will never help the customer. In 2019 there are too many businesses focused on quality of customer service, quality of products sold, and quality of the customer experience. TOM should be embarrassed.

Original review: June 27, 2019

I ordered a Map of the World as a gift for my daughter and her husband. It took almost 3 weeks to arrive and although was in a tube, when it was unrolled, the sides of the plastic coating were torn. I was able to get a refund for the product after several emails to and from the company. I also ordered a Myhotmat Connect before ordering the map, and it just arrived (22 days after my order was placed and my credit card charged). It, too, was broken. The inside product box looked like someone had sat on it or like something heavy was placed on it as it was dented and blackened. The door to the power button was also broken and was lying loose in the packaging. The part that was broken was also in the packaging, but the door should have been attached and was not.

I am now trying to get a refund from the company, rather than a store credit that they offered, as I have no intention to buy anything else from this company. Though their customer service has been responsive, I believe that the products I purchased were not new and because they both were damaged, I don't want to do business with them in the future.

Touch of Modern Company Information