2.53/5

55 Stitch Fix Consumer Reviews

Original review: June 26, 2019

I’ve been using Stitch Fix for a year now. I love it! Jeans that fit are hard to find. Yet Hannah has hit it out of the park every time. I like that I don’t have to keep everything. I get 5 items and choose which to keep. This is great if you’re on a budget and can only afford one or two items. I’ve seen complaints about cost. You have the option to choose the price range you want and you can change it at any time. Several times I’ve kept everything. A couple times I’ve sent back two or three items. I like having the option to comment on and rate each item received. And it’s so easy to return items at no cost.

To get the most out of Stitch Fix it’s best to take advantage of the style shuffle on their site as well as creating a Pinterest board specifically for your stylist to view. I daily save all sorts of clothing I like to my board. You just add the url for your Pinterest to your account information. After being a member for over a year I find that my stylist, Hannah, include more personal notes in my orders. She’s referenced things on my Pinterest board more than once. It’s allowed us to discuss what didn’t work and why. And you can change stylists if you want. Hannah gets me. I don’t expect to keep everything. I hope there will be at least one new item I will like. But Hannah has outdone herself. If your expectation is to have a shipment of perfect items each time then you’ll be disappointed eventually.

The quality of clothing has been very good. I’ve tried other similar services and have cancelled as soon as I could. They claim to be better quality than Stitch Fix but they aren’t. You can order whenever you want. They don’t trick you into choosing auto ship. You can choose individual can opt for auto ship every two months, every other month or monthly. You can just order a one time order whenever you want. Stitch Fix is the real deal and make everything so easy. But if you like to have complete control over your shopping choices and don’t relish surprises, then you may not enjoy this service or anyone else’s.

Original review: May 17, 2019

I have never owned clothes fit my body and my style better. I live in NYC and finding anything decent in my size at any store I visit has already been bought - I'm a DD and a size 10-12. The stress of shopping, finding the time, commuting, and the likelihood that any buys will be out of necessity not love for the item. I have yet to not love anything I've received from Stitch Fix. And the styling has only gotten better- I've never felt sexier and felt more confident in my clothes. And THE JEANS that Stitch sends me <3. Finding well-fitting jeans in my size is a feat. Jeans I buy are always too loose or too tight in certain areas. Finding one good pair of jeans while shopping is a miracle but the 7 pairs I've received from stitch fix have always fit like a glove - form fitting but not too tight and very flattering.

Get expert buying tips about Clothing Subscription Boxes delivered to your inbox.

Original review: April 26, 2019

I get 5 items of clothing per box. I have received 5 boxes so far so 25 items. Of those 25 items, I have kept 12. Not too good odds but... I hate to shop, and I am getting things I would not normally pick out for myself. Expensive - YES. Some clothes are rather cheap but yet some are not! My husband has also received about 3 boxes and has received some really cool shirts. So bottom line is, it's very self-indulgent and very expensive. However, if you can afford it, it's tons of fun and I can't wait until I get my next box. They get it wrong a LOT but when they get it right, it's something I love, and they just keep working with you to get you happy. You need to keep updated your "notes" on what you like and don't like.

Original review: March 25, 2019

I actually did this service and Trunk Club at the same time. This one is by far better in my opinion. They are more affordable, and clothes fit my taste and my body better. Some of it was a bit more than I wanted but you do get styling fee deducted. Also, I don't know if it is for all boxes because I only bought one so far, but if you keep all the items you get 25% off the purchase. For my first box, everything fit except the pair of jeans, which for me is to be expected because it is hard for me to find jeans that fit (ie. too short, too loose around the hip, etc.). I only kept two of the five things though I liked everything because I didn't think I would wear the other items that often. Basically, I recommend Stitch Fix if you try it out.

Original review: March 4, 2019

I have had Stitch Fix since January 2019, and I have been very impressed with their service, both with the subscription service as well as customer service. The pricing for the service is fair; you pay $20 for the styling fee, but can then use that $20 as credit towards anything you choose to buy. The items that they send seem to be $40 or higher, which is a little out of my price range, but the stylist that I've worked with has done an absolutely incredible job listening to my feedback and has sent me some beautiful items that I love.

I've had to contact customer service twice three times, and each time it has been a very pleasant experience. The first time, I had a question about the charges on my account and the customer service representative gave me a very detailed answer and made sure that all of my questions and concerns were addressed. The second time, I was late sending in the return box and the representative very quickly extended my due date for the box with no problem. The third time, I noticed a tear in an item the first time I wore it, and the customer service representative refunded the cost of the item and let me keep it to donate/throw away/repair.

All in all, I feel that this subscription service isn't for everyone, especially if you're pretty good with finding items for yourself in stores and don't necessarily need the curated style box or don't have the room in your budget, but for what it is, I have had nothing but positive experiences with this company and find that it's a great service for what it claims to be. I have currently put my subscription on pause for financial reasons, however I look forward to going back to the service again.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Stitch Fix?

Original review: July 15, 2019

I purchased the TRUMP GREATEST DAD COLOR PRINTED TUMBLER 30OZ TUMBLER/Black with the 30 oz Tumbler Handle and Slider Lid Bundle. My order was never fully received. The Tumbler Handle and Slider Lid is still being processed over a month after the purchase date. The 30 oz Tumbler that was received is defective. The lid is not secure and slips out without pressure being applied. Shipping was paid for as "Guaranteed Delivery by Father's Day" and was not even shipped until after the guaranteed delivery date. Several emails were sent to the only point of contact available for this company; Support@fullystitched.com. When they finally replied 8 days later, it was an offer of 50% off a future purchase. No reference to the late delivery or apology was ever made. Will NEVER shop here again.

Original review: June 30, 2019

I am going to give them one more try and that it is with Stitch Fix. The last box of clothing was terrible. It was like didn't they read my profile and sent me the most hideous clothes I have ever seen. Everything was too big. It was as though they looked at my age and decided I need gaudy prints with terrible fabric. I asked specifically for black tapered skinny pants. They sent me these ugly black pants that weren't tapered and no way in the form of skinny pants. I am so angry with them right now. What a waste of my time!!

Now, they have asked me if I am on Pinterest. So, now I have to sign up for Pinterest because they can't figure it out. Really, I provided all the information they needed in order to assess my style and what clothes could work for me. They should be able to figure it out which clothes will work. They also keep sending me the same pants in different colors. ENOUGH is enough!!! There is no thought on the part of the stylist at Stitch Fix. I am going to try the Trunk Club.

Original review: June 6, 2019

I've been getting Stitch Fix boxes for about a year now. At first, I had a lot of success and it was a fun surprise to try on what they picked for me. They would send some unique pieces that I couldn't find anywhere else. In December 2018, they offered me a Style Pass, which means I pay $40.00 and get free boxes all year. I accepted this offer and things went downhill from there. They've been sending the most hideous clothes! They are super matronly and I feel certain even my Grandmother wouldn't wear them. I keep telling them to cease sending this kind of clothing, yet they do again and again, no matter which stylist is assigned to me. The last straw is when they charged me for something I didn't keep, due to a mistake in their warehouse. Stitch Fix can keep their ugly floral vomit Grandma clothes. I'm out!

Original review: June 4, 2019

Boxes were fun to get, but the prices of the items were so high and the quality so low! For example, I kept a sweater- against my better judgement since it was almost $100- but I loved the color. One wearing and the sleeves had holes and the fabric pilled. There was no saving it. Same experience with a pair of pants I purchased. My experience was that the average price to purchase the items in each box was around $300. For such horrible quality....I cancelled and never regret it.

Original review: June 4, 2019

I tried Stitch fix because my girlfriend enjoyed the subscription. I signed up for a single box. I was actually pretty excited to try new clothes that I didn't pick out. When I got the box it was something like $100 for a pair of offbrand pants, and then $50-$60 for tshirts. Every they sent me I was able to find online for much cheaper. I returned everything. In the first I would've kept on one item that they sent me if it was priced properly.

I got an email a few days later from someone in the "Client Support". They were really helpful and waived the styling fee I inured. They said they'd update my profile and wished I would try again. They also told me they price match (Something they don't make very clear unless you cancel the service). I did because they went out of the way to send a personal email after I returned the items.

After getting my second box I found they had sent me mostly items that were Stitch Fix exclusive. I was able to find comparable (same materials style and size) items for 50% less online. The two items that weren't exclusive I was able to finder cheaper as well. This box I did enjoy the style of some of the clothes and even thought about keeping one of the exclusive shirts because I really liked it. But the idea of overpaying for it made me return it.

All in all styling was pretty on, and I could see if you used the same stylist you'd end up with boxes that you would totally be into. That fact saves it from being a 1 star review. All the items I received were way overpriced. Even if you kept everything the 25% discount wouldn't be enough to make the items cheaper than the online versions. If you're willing to overpay 50% on the items for the stylist to send you items I'd recommend the service. Otherwise you're better off just going to a name brand stores and buying clothes there or online.

Original review: May 22, 2019

I thought it would be a good idea. I thought it would be brands I'd recognize. I made specific requests for my second shipment. None of those requests was honored. Three of the items were "Stitch Fix" sort-of brands. Not what I was expecting. One Item was a brand I recognized. Varvatos. The difficulty was that NONE of the feedback/requests I had made was respected. I had specifically asked for a blazer or other jacket. Nope. I had specifically asked for "olive or loden." None. I cancelled.

Original review: May 21, 2019

I’m not made of money. And I don’t spend over $20 on one item of clothing. With that said... Stitch Fix is very high priced. I was thinking since the initial charge was $20 that I would be able to afford something if I liked it. But no. All 3 tops that were sent to my house were $30-$40 at least. And two of those didn’t even have sleeves. And the paid of pants were a nice olive color, but they were like $80. The only thing I was pleased with was the shipping. It was pretty quick and the packaging was nice.

Original review: May 2, 2019

My daughter and I both tried Stitch Fix and neither of us kept a single item! I'm a petite 55 yr old jewelry designer. I stated that my style was Bohemian and I received a beautful blazer if you go to an office every day. I asked for no animal prints and no sleeveless or capped sleeves and I received a leopard print top with capped sleeves. They sent 2 3/4 length polka dot blouses that were ok but nothing I would ever buy and too expensive for how generic they were. I gave detailed instructions on jeans as this is what I was really interested in receiving.

Being petite, stores have limited selections. I requested a jean that sits at the waist and would like them distressed. The jeans were distressed but the zipper was like 2" long so I knew before I even tried them on they were going to be super low cut. I felt that after all the time I spent creating my profile they just sent me 2 very generic items, 1 that was very nice quality but nothing in the style range I was interested in and 2 that were clearly against what I had stated. My daughter had a similar experience so we both cancelled and ate the $20 styling fee. I feel that if you can pinpoint rules they broke by sending you apparel that they should not have then there should be some responsibility to the consumer.

Original review: April 30, 2019

I was really excited about this as I hate to shop and have no style at all. I have received two boxes so far, the first box I bought a pair of pants and a shirt, granted something I never would have picked out for myself, but it was almost $50.00, and the pants were expensive as well, I paid almost a $100.00 for a shirt and a pair of pants... too much.

Second box, I got this ugly dress, and another ugly dress, two pairs of shirts, and all of this is stretchy material...which I hate. The jean shorts were $44.00. I have the same pair that I got from Old Navy for $15.00. The other pair of shorts, I was really wanting to like, but they fit awful, and were really expensive. I asked for a pencil skirt, which they sent but again, stretchy material. The skirt is $68.00. I did ask for more time to review, and they gave it to me. I am just debating on taking the $20.00 loss or buying a $68.00 pencil skirt. This is my last shipment, their stuff is just overpriced and too expensive.

Original review: April 29, 2019

I have received two Stitch Fix boxes, and neither contained items I wished to keep. In addition, their $20 styling fee is non-refundable even if they send items that are totally off the mark. I asked for clothing that was appropriate for a manager to wear into the office, and they sent me dresses that have spaghetti straps and need to be worn with a strapless bra. Clearly inappropriate for a 57 year old manager to wear to the office. Proceed with caution.

Original review: April 17, 2019

Just received my first Stitch Fix box today. I'm a little disappointed. I'm impressed with their website. I'm impressed with their questionnaire. I'm impressed with the ease of returns. I'm impressed by their APPARENT interest in my feedback. But they certainly did not get it right the first time. Of the five items they sent me, I returned three, one of which was actually hideous, and two of which, while not hideous, were not right, either. The two items I kept were unobjectionable, but not really quite what I would have picked for myself either. Of course, part of the reason for trying them is that I know my own taste in clothing is very limited, and I am open to trying something I would not have picked out myself and discovering that I quite like it. But that didn't happen. "Unobjectionable" is really about as far as I can go in praising the selections I kept. It will be interesting to see if they actually learn anything from the feedback, or if that's all just a pretense.

Original review: April 11, 2019

Please be aware that Stitch Fix charges a $20 styling fee regardless of whether you keep any items. I ordered 2 boxes and were unhappy with both of them so I send everything back but because of the styling fees, I end up paying $40 for NOTHING. I called them to request a courtesy refund because the fee wasn’t clearly stated on the website (I thought the fee is applied only when an item is kept). The company doesn’t waive the charges and explains that the stylist has spent time selecting the items. If I apply the same logic to other retail business, should we be charged a salesperson fee if we have received help from a salesperson without buying anything or a merchandising fee if we try on an item without buying it? This is just ridiculous!! They’ve lost my business forever.

Original review: April 8, 2019

I've received two shipments so far and both included items that were too low quality (cheap shorts) or too out of style (Flannel/flowy dress pants for business??) to consider keeping - which completely ruins the idea of the 25% off your entire order if you keep the whole box. The prices of the items generally seem about 20% higher than comparable nice department store items.

Original review: March 30, 2019

I have been using Stitch Fix since October. I hate to shop. Some of the clothes I love, some I don't & I send back. Now most of my go to clothes are from them. In January my father died. I had to go out of state for over a week when my fix came. I emailed them for more time to send the clothes back. They gave me more time. 2 weeks later they sent me flowers. What a wonderful company!

Original review: March 29, 2019

I tried Stitch Fix and the clothes were OK. A couple of well known brands and the other cheap and ran small. They only give you 3 days to return or you are stuck with the merchandise. By the time I had time to try my clothes on it was too late to send back. The pants were cheap and ran small and same with the shoes. I tried to cancel and there is no phone number you have to email. So I sent an email canceling and they said I don't have anything pending. I sent another email and said cancel and they finally wrote back and said ok, but charged me $20 for who knows what, 3 days later. The only way I can get rid of the charge is to dispute on my credit card. Not worth the hassle!

Original review: March 29, 2019

After reading some of the reviews I decided to write my own. I hate shopping mostly and am not good at styling. The clothing is definitely better than some have suggested at Target Value. I have kept at least 2 items from the 3 boxes I have received and worn them all. The denim jacket I just received I was not going to keep because I have one... but it is definitely nicer than the one I own and will wear it. Completely worth the $98. I have googled a couple of items to see if I could find them cheaper and I gotta say, they were head to head on price. Again I don't want to shop so I will say I think it is worth it... If you can afford it!

Original review: March 28, 2019

I tried about 3 shipments and kept a some of the items. I did not love them but I gave it try. I was in shock of the terrible terrible quality. With one time use one shirt just ripped??? A sweater looked like I had it for years and pants got a hole. I found it way too price to be a disposable clothe store. Cancelled my membership.

Original review: March 24, 2019

I googled the items I received in my first and only Stitch Fix box. Stitch Fix charged 98.00 for a pair of jeans and I found the same ones all over the internet for about 38.00. That is an outrageous mark-up and immediately turned me off to the whole system. I didn't even bother trying the items on. I immediately bagged everything up, sent it back, and cancelled my account. I was not impressed with the quality of the shirts in the box either. Thin/wrinkly cotton, cheaply sewn buttons. If I'm dropping 75-100.00 for a button I expect more quality than that. Stitch Fix seems to be out for immediate maximum profit instead of cultivating a long term relationship with the customer. It might be fine for people who want to be spoon fed very average clothing for high retail prices but to me the value just isn't there.

Original review: March 21, 2019

I joined Stitch Fix. I hate shopping at stores with crowds. I stink at styling myself... I'm almost 40 and so far I am impressed with this service. Many of the items I would never pick for myself. But when they arrive, I try them on and can't believe how nice they look on me. Every time I suggest something for my stylist to try for me, she seems to hit the nail on the head!

Original review: March 21, 2019

I really wanted to like Stitch Fix. I loved the concept and anticipated getting some great items. Also - who doesn't love getting a fun package in the mail? My first box that came was okay. I did end up sending everything back because the items I received were just a little "off". Clothes fit okay but they were things I just didn't love and wanted to keep. The next box was a total miss. I ended up keeping a necklace just so I would not lose my $20 styling fee. I talked to customer service and they let me try again with no fee.

This box was better. I got a pair of jeans, several tops and a cardigan. Unfortunately the cardigan unraveled after only a couple of uses. They did refund me for it. Okay - I am sucker - after seeing 2 of my friends get really cute items I gave it another try. I practically told them what to put in my box. Lo and behold everything but one top was perfect. I got great dress pants, a cute blazer, a great trenchcoat, cute booties and a turtleneck which was okay. I kept everything but it was very expensive.

Just this past week I did one more order. I was so happy with the last one I forgot how disappointed I was with the other orders. I asked for dress pants and possibly sandals and some cute tops. On my profile I specified what I didn't like in tops and I have requested no jewelry. Well- I got the exact opposite of what I would wear. 3 blousy tops with bell sleeves which I hate and patterns I would never even look at in a store. I also got jewelry. Only the pants were decent but not at $88. Everything will go back and now I am officially done. Super disappointed.

Original review: March 20, 2019

Absolutely terrible! I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. I received two Stitch Fix shipments and was beyond disappointed. Not only did the two separate stylists not listen to a word I said, they sent me clothes I never would have worn and specified my preferences/style on a daily basis. If I could give Stitch Fix 0 stars, I absolute would.

Original review: March 18, 2019

I have been getting boxes from Stitch Fix for about a year and have wondered at least 5 times why I keep it. I finally decided to cancel it today. The last 2 boxes I got something so against my taste that I wondered why I spend so much time doing a Pinterest page for them and thumbs up/thumbs down clothes on their app daily for it to be ignored. The final straw was that I got a ripped cardigan and a poorly sewn together shirt where the horizontal stripes were crooked. When I sent them an e-mail, they apologized and provided a refund of $30.99 for each. Issue? I paid $38.99 for each. Is this an inconvenience fee? I have gotten some things I like from here, yes, but unfortunately, it just isn’t a good enough service for me to continue. These are mostly Target quality clothes, but you’ll pay 3x the amount you’d pay at Target. I’ll do my own shopping from now on.

Original review: March 14, 2019

If I hadn't had friends who raved about this program, I would have thought it a real scam! I outlined and added details about what I wear and don't wear and the first box came with the exact opposite. I thought it was a mistake, but they charged me the $20 and said they would give assign me a different person. After another wasted $20, I got one item that might have worked but was really expensive.

When I say didn't work, I mean I said 'only boot leg cut' and they sent straight leg and skinny cut. I said I don't wear sleeveless tops and they sent sleeveless tops! Things like that. They wanted me to continue, but I'd already spend $40 on nothing and they made no attempt to compensate me for this so rather than rack up another $20 on their 'test' I said 'no thanks.' I should get a letter that I donated $40 to their cause.

Original review: March 13, 2019

First off, let me say the concept is awesome and they make it pretty easy. Yes, you are charged $20 with every shipment, they call it a styling fee. It will come off the price of an item if you keep anything. If not, no you don't get 20 back and I'm okay with that. They sent me clothes that I signed up to receive and they are paying any return shipment. I've received 2 shipments to date, all items are from China. I live in the Midwest, so my review may be different from someone in NYC. But for me, the quality of the clothes haven't been any different than what I can buy at my local Walmart but they come with a big city price. A knit shirt for $58 is a bit higher than I'd like to pay.

If you're use to those prices, this may be a good deal for you. I'm not sure I have a real live stylist but the color palette that I requested has been spot on. Not sure I will continue though, for me, more of a choice to support US economy and even though ease of not shopping, trying items on at home are a huge plus, I can't ignore I can get same quality for cheaper prices locally.

Original review: March 2, 2019

I am impressed that someone who has never met me got even two pieces right AND I really like the jeans and jacket, I could wear them to dinner, an interview (I work in a creative field), work. I'm a plus size and often find folks who aren't don't quite get how to dress me but the jeans were super flattering and comfortable. I didn't want some big tent. The jacket was fitted and IT FIT! Karl Lagerfeld to boot. I felt a few pieces were really cheaply made, I returned them. I'm curious how the jeans will hold up, they seem very thin but they're comfortable and cute. So far so good.

Stitch Fix expert review by Kate Williams, Ph.D.

Stitch Fix is an online personal shopper service that sends a curated box of clothing and accessories, called a Fix, to men and women. Shipping frequencies range from once every few weeks to once every six months. You can also choose to buy on demand boxes, instead of having a subscription. Set your style and price preferences, then receive personalized outfits in your Fix. Keep what you want, then send back the rest for free. Stitch Fix averages a price of $55 per article of clothing.

• Stitch Fix cost: Stitch Fix charges a $20 nonrefundable styling fee for each Fix you receive that is applied toward anything you buy from your box. On average, expect to pay around $55 per article in your Fix, however prices for individual pieces range from $20-$400. You’ll get a 25 percent discount when you buy all five items in your fix.

• Return policy: You have five days from the day you receive a Fix to try things on and decide what you like. Then you send back any items you don’t want, and the company charges your credit card for what you keep. Contact Stitch Fix for need extra time if you haven’t decided after five days.

• Free shipping: Shipping both ways is included in the cost of your styling fee, so you don’t have to pay anything extra. You’ll receive a prepaid return envelope with your Fix.

• Stitch Fix outfits: Your stylist will choose your items based on your responses to a detailed Style Quiz. Women might receive tops, bottoms, dresses, shoes or accessories. Members of Stitch Fix Men can receive casual items, like t-shirts and hoodies, or business attire. Let your personal stylist know if there are particular things you definitely do or don’t want.

• Referral bonus: You’ll earn a $25 credit to your account for every person who signs up for Stitch Fix using your referral code and receives an order.

• Best for: women and men who want to build their wardrobes.

Profile picture of Kate Williams, Ph.D.
Kate Williams, Ph.D. ConsumerAffairs Research Team

As a member of the ConsumerAffairs Research Team, Kate Williams, Ph.D. believes everyone deserves easy access to accurate and comprehensive information on products and businesses before they make a purchase. She spends countless hours researching companies and industries before writing buyers guides to make sure consumers have all the information they need to make smart, informed buying decisions.

Stitch Fix Company Information