3.49/5

62 Spotify Consumer Reviews

Original review: April 7, 2019

A complete waste of time and money. It simply stops playing after about five minutes. And of course, no customer support phone number "out of dedication" to the customers. Don't waste your money. It's a waste and a disgrace of technology.

Original review: April 5, 2019

All I want to get my payment date changed to the first of the month on my family plan, which I pay $16/month for. First of all, you cannot talk to an actual live person, just a “customer service representative” online where typing questions and waiting for responses is the only option. Well, was basically told that it isn’t possible to change your payment date and that I will have to wait til the first of next month, contact them again online, then they cancel my subscription and start it over again to get it to come out on the first.

I am only hoping it doesn’t mess up mine and my family’s playlists, downloads, sign-ins, etc. It wouldn’t be such a big deal if I wasn’t on a fixed income in the first place, which is why I want it changed to when all of my other bills come out instead of a random mid-late date of the month. It’s seriously not a lot to ask for. This is ridiculous for a large company and very poor customer service/options and sadly I don’t ever see it getting any better in the future.

Original review: March 23, 2019

Had an issue with transferring phones and maintaining the service. First, no live person to speak with. Had to “chat” with someone who had no idea what he was doing. Not helpful. They ate an hour of my time and never got back to me to fix the problem.

Original review: March 13, 2019

After my trial of Spotify Premium ran out, I decided to use the free version for a while to compare, and determine whether paying for it was truly worth it. Spotify free is complete garbage, for many reasons: 1) The fact you're limited to shuffle only play. There are many MANY albums and playlists where order is important. Albums that tell a story, or are crafted to portray emotions that progress and change through its course. Spotify free takes that and flushes it down the toilet, making it impossible to enjoy a lot of music as it was intended.

2) Limited skips per hour. What kind of model is this? You're already limiting us to HOW we can enjoy music, putting constraints on playability, yet you pile on to that at say "Hey, yeah, so, you can only listen to things on shuffle. And...by the way, if you don't feel like listening to the song that comes up, cool... But, after a few skips you're screwed."

3) Ads - I don't inherently have an issue with the ads themselves. I understand that Spotify is a business and has to make money off its free users. But the sheer number of ads that play is obnoxious and frustrating. Most days I MIGHT only go 3 songs without an ad, but they usually play every two. 4) Lack of offline playability. So...we can make playlists, and save songs as we prefer but...no internet connection means Spotify is a virtual, useless brick? I would assume that this goes back to their push for ad revenue, and that if we're offline, they can't play ads, but it further limits an already incredibly limited service.

5) Clunky, hard to navigate save features - On the Premium version, you can shuffle your whole library, but...that's not an option in free? Further limiting how we can listen. Unless you "like" (heart) every song in your library so it goes into the favorites folder which, for many who have big extensive collections, is a long, tedious, annoying process, you're limited to Spotify's "artist, album, or playlist" criteria.

6) Limited custom playlists - This is more minor, and I understand why they limit it, but it's disappointing. While on the premium trial I very much enjoyed the "Discover Weekly" playlists, and other personally curated playlists I would receive. I discovered quite a bit of new music through these playlists. I understand why they don't offer those services on the free version, but it just piles on top of everything else to grossly limit playability, UI-friendliness, and ease of access.

In a lot of ways, I think Spotify purposefully made their free version so incredibly bad and limited in comparison to Premium to silently push more people into paying for the service, which is a practice I don't like. I think Spotify needs to offer a little more to their free users, as the free service now is complete garbage. Not everyone can pay $100-130 a year for the premium service, but they deserve better than what we get now.

Original review: March 8, 2019

I was charged for a Spotify premium account although I had switched to the free account so I sent in the message to have it removed. They removed one charge and told me I had been charged for it multiple months but they wouldn't refund them because it was past 14 days. I told them I hadn't even used the Spotify account because I had no idea I was paying for premium and being a full time student and working full time I have no time to listen to music these days. They basically said too bad. I am making the much needed switch to Apple Music and you all should too!! Apple is extremely accommodating and correcting of any issues and they've even corrected payments when it actually was my mistake in the past!! I deeply regret ever trying Spotify.

How do I know I can trust these reviews about Spotify?

Original review: March 1, 2019

First WHY doesn't Spotify have a call center to speak to someone??? I chatted with some dip from customer non-service. I told her that I was having problems with my credit card and I purchased two PREMIUM gift cards so I can pay this month. Customer non-service tells me that I can't use gift cards to pay for the family plan and "I can downgrade your subscription and all the downloaded music will be deleted." I said that that would be a problem for my kids. They have songs downloaded etc.

Customer non-service could not care and would not offer any other alternatives, they could not care less if I canceled my subscription. I asked if I could chat with a manager, of course, I could not. The manager will email me in some far off date blah blah blah. I think it's disgusting how they have no regard for any paying customer who pays every month without any problem but god forbid I have an issue with my credit card. They were unwilling to help me. If my kids find another service I will be canceling my subscription.

Original review: Feb. 19, 2019

It has been a long time since using Spotify. So long that I have forgotten my email and password I used when I signed up. Long story short they attempted to take money out of my account and a few occasions putting my account in the negative which led to me paying overdraft return item fee. I called the number listed as their number on my statement. I was told it would be canceled. However they needed my card info. I asked why they needed my info again. They said to locate the acct. He kept saying something about a 4.95 fee and a 24.95 fee.

I said, "Sir I don't think you understand. I am canceling a subscription". He said, "Yes maam." I asked if I was being charged. He said, "No maam. Here is your confirmation number." I said, "Ok I got it" so he proceeds to try to complete the call. I said when can I expect this to be canceled. He said, "Maam you can call the helpline." I said, "Why do I need to contact helpline when I already have you on the phone". He said, "Maam the helpline can answer your questions." I call the helpline immediately and the greeting was "thank you for calling AT&T U-Verse." I hung up and called again thinking I made an error only to find out the number they gave me was AT&T U-VERSE. A couple days later I noticed 2 unknown charges were taken out of my acct.

One being Docwell? No clue who that is. I called their number. They said they had me on a recorded line. I said, "Maam I haven't spoken to anyone from your company. I don't even know who you are or how you would have gotten my acct number." She said, "Hmm. Have you talked to a marketing company recently?" At first I said no I don't answer marketing calls. I thought a minute and realized I just spoke to Spotify (or whomever it was).

I told her the story of how I tried to cancel etc... She said, "I would be happy to refund your money but in the future be careful because a lot of times we get those companies are linked to other marketers so, HERE IT IS A MONTH LATER AND ANOTHER 10.66 CAME OUT OF MY ACCT. by "SPOTIFY" account which was supposed to have been canceled. I'm not happy! I would love to press charges on Spotify. Sue their behinds for fraudulent actions. I think it is unfair and unprofessional that they don't have a customer service phone number.

Original review: Feb. 5, 2019

Spotify advertises a sweepstakes as being open to all users. But when you click the banner and go to the survey it asks you age and gender. It then only accepts certain age/gender matches which means it is not open to all legal residents as stated above from their own rules.

Original review: Jan. 16, 2019

Finally to the point of dropping Spotify. The Android app is too fragile. Many times I'm left looking at the green "thinking" status circle. Usually, the solution is to kill the app, clear memory, and start again. Today, I was trying to use it offline, and it just stared at me, even after a reboot. Once I moved within cell range and retried, it worked again. So much for offline mode... I'm just very frustrated, and have spent too much time working around the fragile app. I will now try Google and Amazon music. Bye Bye Spotify.

Original review: Dec. 10, 2018

Great way to discover new music from playlists. I just wish there was an easier way to pick off where you left off from the last track you listened to. Some playlists are 1000 or more tracks, and you are forced to slowly scroll each time from the first track. Secondly, the ads from the free trial could be more tolerable if they didn't jack up the volume on them. My guess is that they do that so other people could hear them as well.

Spotify Company Information